Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #101
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Time for me to un-hype it:

Apparently, Gamespot was wrong when they reported Madden will have in-game saves

I heard that in-game saves will be a new feature in Madden 2010, so no worries.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:58 AM   #102
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

I just ordered Madden 08 for $9.99.
I wasn't going to get it but, i guess it's the last PC version.....

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #103
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another Madden Monday......another lousy idea.

Quote:
Do Over! Madden Mondays Week 6: EA SPORTS REWIND
May 19, 2008 at 11:11am

Do over! If only life imitated EA SPORTS REWIND.

We all have moments we'd like to do over in life. If we had a nickel for every time someone around here said, "I wish I didn't drink that whole bottle of pancake syrup," or I wish I had known that 'beachball' was actually a Portuguese Man-of-War jellyfish," we'd be living on our own private island by now.

Even more so in the sports world, we often hear competitors (both real and virtual) saying, "I wish I could have that pitch back," or "I never should have thrown that ball." Well, we won’t hear it as often in Madden NFL 09, with the all-new EA SPORTS REWIND, which will allow gamers to literally put a play in reverse and replay a down. Think of it as a Madden mulligan. Not unlike a super power, REWIND can be used for both good or evil. (Think Mike Shanahan and his pre-snap field goal timeouts.) For players looking to improve their games, this is a fantastic way to immediately learn from your mistakes without having to wait until the situation presents itself again, like in most sports games. Just click the REWIND button when a play ends, and watch your players reverse track back to the line of scrimmage.

However, REWIND can also lead to a few broken friendships. For example, suppose your best buddy has been talking trash for weeks about how he owns you. So you say, "Ok, tough guy. I’ll take 3 REWINDS, and then let’s just see how dominant you are." Five minutes later you’re laughing maliciously as you REWIND his kick-off return for a TD. Needless to say, you probably won’t be going to Sizzler together the next day.

Here are some important details regarding EA SPORTS REWIND in Madden NFL 09: Before the game begins, each player may select 0, 1, 3, 5, or unlimited REWINDS to be used during the course of the game. Rewinds may be be used on any play: Offense, Defense, & Special Teams. They're not available during online games. Madden NFL 09 hits the streets August 12th, including the historic 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition. So click here or head to your local GameStop to reserve your copy. And remember, with great power comes great responsibility.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #104
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I knew you'd be posting to blast this MBBF.

I agree with you, it is a lousy feature.. except that it might get my wife to play against me if I spot her 5 rewinds. Last time she tried was 4 years ago, and she got frustrated after 1 game despite me trying to keep it competitive.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #105
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I knew you'd be posting to blast this MBBF.

I agree with you, it is a lousy feature.. except that it might get my wife to play against me if I spot her 5 rewinds. Last time she tried was 4 years ago, and she got frustrated after 1 game despite me trying to keep it competitive.

It's just a terrible shame to see just how out of touch the people who are making the development decisions at EA really are. I don't even totally blame the developers at this point. They likely know that the game needs a fundamental overhaul, but the execs and PR people at EA would rather push forward with the gimmicks like this. It's amazing that this franchise is finding ways to get worse.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #106
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sounds like an incredibly dumb feature. That's part of the allure of competition. You have your chances to win. If you hit 'em, great. If you miss 'em, you lose. Who wants to make a game-changing play and then have their opponent rewind it?

Last edited by Kodos : 05-19-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #107
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Sounds like an incredibly dumb feature. That's part of the allure of competition. You have your chances to win. If you hit 'em, great. If you miss 'em, you lose.

You can draw up a scenario quite easily to see just how brutal it really could be. Let's say I'm ahead of Kodos by 6 points with :02 on the clock. Kodos is on my 2 yard line. I've saved up all three of my rewinds for the game (assuming we each received 3 before the game). Kodos would have to score a touchdown on 4 straight plays in order to win at that point. That's just an INCREDIBLY terrible feature.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #108
Icy
Pro Starter

It¡'s pretty clear that us hardcore simmers are like dinosaurs, forced to disappear.

Now, thinking on i again, i might even use it to favor the CPU and rewind every time i pick and int for TD, but 5 rewinds might not be enough...

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #109
RainMaker
General Manager

That is the dumbest feature I've heard about in a long time.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #110
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
It¡'s pretty clear that us hardcore simmers are like dinosaurs, forced to disappear.

Now, thinking on i again, i might even use it to favor the CPU and rewind every time i pick and int for TD, but 5 rewinds might not be enough...

Sadly, that really could be a game-saving feature. You could roll a 6-side dice, and if it comes up 1, you get to keep the interception. Otherwise, you have to rewind. Might be the only way to get a realistic amount of interceptions.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #111
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
But if it helps sell more PS3s, it will be the greatest feature in the history of ever.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #112
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
But if it helps sell more PS3s, it will be the greatest feature in the history of ever.

I'm with Stupid.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #113
Groundhog
Coordinator

Further proof of exactly how far outside the target audience I am...
Old 05-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #114
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Five minutes later you’re laughing maliciously as you REWIND his kick-off return for a TD. Needless to say, you probably won’t be going to Sizzler together the next day.

Seiously, you'd have to be a developer to read that sentence and not get a chill down your spine.

To a great degree ANY multi-player sports title, hell ANY multi-player video game, spends a great deal of effort constricting players to keep them on even 'moral footing' for lack of a better term...that effort is necessary because it's simple human nature to try and take the advantages offered to you, and it's also basic human nature that unfortunately, having someone take advantage of you != fun (it's beside the point but interesting to note that conversely, taking advantage of the computer DOES equal, or at least come closer to, fun!)

Most of the lifespan of the Madden franchise has been spent trying to remove those advantages, so we're all competing in the game itself, not who can best take advantage of it's quirks. Hell, that's the exact reason they had to add 99% of the various rules to REAL sports.

Anybody who's been the victim of repeated cheese-plays, or had an opponent abandon a game and crush a near victory, AKA anybody-who-has-played-Madden-versus-another-person-in-the-last-ten-years,
knows that's a horrible design decision, that belies exactly how far removed EA is from the people who actually play their game. Even if it works completely flawlessly, you have to ask if introducing the 'retry' into the culture of sports gaming ruins the whole concept, as over-stated as that may sound. If you want to 'retry', play another game.

Basically this stinks as a lazy way for the Madden to gloss over their issues. "Sure there's just as many ACTUAL turnovers during gameplay....but with the 'replay' there will only be half as many in the box score!". FIXED!

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-19-2008 at 06:53 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:50 PM   #115
Arctic Blast
n00b

I bought in to the hype and glowing reviews LAST year and picked it up for 360...what an overhyped piece of garbage. Madden 08 was just an absolute mess. And I have still seen no explanation for how the PS3/360 versions have FEWER options and WORSE play than the Xbox and PS2 versions had 5 YEARS AGO!

At some point, I'd love to see EA take this series away from, Tiburon, who from what I've seen, have added nothing but half baked promises and half finished 'features', while not fixing any of the major gameplay issues that have killed the series. Give it to anothyer studio, and see what they can do with it. Salvage SOMETHING!

Ugh.
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #116
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Sadly, that really could be a game-saving feature. You could roll a 6-side dice, and if it comes up 1, you get to keep the interception. Otherwise, you have to rewind. Might be the only way to get a realistic amount of interceptions.

NO! Do NOT start giving me crazy ideas on how I can avoid all the things that will be wrong with this game! I do not need any excuses to cave again!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:56 PM   #117
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I wonder if I can retry my mascot celebration?
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:04 AM   #118
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's a cheap way to get the new Madden game. Sign up for a credit card with Bank of America and spend at least $200. If you keep the card open for 90 days, you get Madden 09 for free.

hxxps://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/us/nfl-facmfu/index.html

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-30-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #119
Anthony
Banned

set rewinds to zero

crisis solved.

any other problems you want me to fix?

Last edited by Anthony : 05-30-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #120
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Russell, a EA community rep, has a large thread over on OS that details (with pictures for proof) the new franchise sim engine stats. I'm just looking now, but they look great. I think the new improved franchise line may actually be true:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...s-blowout.html

A few of the highlights from looking at the pics:

Only 2 QB's with over 100 rating (Romo and Rivers), only 10 more between 90-100. Highest yardage is Peyton with 4312 yards. Interceptions seem much more realistic in the sim engine, perhaps even a bit high. Peyton had 18, McNabb and Garcia with 23. A fair number with high teens to low 20' including Tavaris Jackson, Alex Smith, Derek Anderson, and Peyton. Rivers was lowest with 8. Still a few odd stats such as Romo completing 74% (no other QB had higher than 69%) but it looks MUCH better than last year.

- No running backs even close to 2000 yards. Peterson led all backs with 1650 on 262 carries. Next highest total was LT with 1450 yards on 245 carries. The highest number of carries was 306 and it looks like backup HB's are actually getting carries.

- Top receiver has 102 catches for 1226 yards. Top yardage was 1253 on 86 catches. Some people have commented that receivers YPC are low, but they don't look that bad to me. Most are around 11-13 YPC.

- Leading tackler is Paris Lenon with 120, Farrior was 2nd with 118. 14 sacks led the league.

- 6 interceptions led the league, and guys had 5 which means the double interception bug is fixed.

He has a bunch of screenshots, including team stats as well which look good. Assuming this is all in the final copy, sim engine looks MUCH better than previous years.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-03-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #121
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Paris Lenon lead the league in tackles?

Sounds broke to me.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #122
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Heh. I knew a Lions' fan would say that

That did raise an eyebrow, but overall I'm excited about the improvement represented by these screenshots. I don't need absolute realism from Madden's sim engine, just something in the ballpark

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-03-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #123
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Heh. I knew a Lions' fan would say that

That did raise an eyebrow, but overall I'm excited about the improvement represented by these screenshots. I don't need absolute realism from Madden's sim engine, just something in the ballpark

The stats do look good though. I haven't bought a new Madden since 05 but I just may very well pull the trigger this year. We'll see.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #124
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

One of the main developers has been on Operation Sports posting and interacting with the community the last week or two. They have made some significant improvements based on community feedback even during that short time period including the latest which is strongly tweaking the deep ball percentages so the AI will actually throw long now. I may get disappointed, but they reportedly have addressed every one of the things that I disliked about Madden last year:

- The fumbles are no longer an issue. If you use the cover up button, there is no chance your player will fumble (but he will run slower and won't be able to evade tackles.)

- AI defenders no longer pick off unrealistic passes.

- The pass rush and the DL won't get pancaked anywhere close to the same frequency as past versions.

- Franchise stats are within the realm of believability.

- Stupid sound effects such as the booming when you throw deep are gone.

- The lack of any deep passing game from the AI.

- Speed and other ratings have been changed from a linear relationship to a curved, semi-exponential relationship. Therefore, guys with 95 speed will feel substantially different than 90, etc.

Also, the producer says they are still working on trying to get accelerated clock to work for this version.

So I've been fully seduced by the hype train of Madden again this year and will be purchasing it again as it seems like this year could be a great version.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-05-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #125
Groundhog
Coordinator

Damn it, why does it all have to sound so awesome.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #126
Kodos
Resident Alien

IT'S A TRAP!
Old 06-06-2008, 06:46 AM   #127
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
So I've been fully seduced by the hype train of Madden again this year and will be purchasing it again as it seems like this year could be a great version.

LOL. Peter Moore thanks you.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:47 AM   #128
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Damn it, why does it all have to sound so awesome.

Because if they told you it's likely to suck as in previous years, you wouldn't plop down your money to get the game right away before the negative feedback begins to hit the internet.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:00 AM   #129
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Because if they told you it's likely to suck as in previous years, you wouldn't plop down your money to get the game right away before the negative feedback begins to hit the internet.

Or they have actually improved the game and this game will be a fun game that will redeem the series. Since you haven't played it, hard for you to know.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:06 AM   #130
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
- Stupid sound effects such as the booming when you throw deep are gone.

I kinda liked that. It meant the guy at the cannon was paying attention to the game. I also liked it when it boomed and the receiver dropped the ball.

Nice that they fixed the interception bug after two fookin' years.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:44 AM   #131
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Or they have actually improved the game and this game will be a fun game that will redeem the series. Since you haven't played it, hard for you to know.

Ah, there you are incorrect. I've played the game each and every year. I just don't pay for it, not even a rental. And if you've seriously bought into the hype and think the stars will suddenly align this year, you're likely in for a rude awakening given the precedent set by this series, but I'll hope for the best.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:03 AM   #132
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I meant that you haven't played 09
Old 06-06-2008, 08:32 AM   #133
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I meant that you haven't played 09

You can call me Ms. Cleo.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #134
gstelmack
Pro Starter

So, do we get in-game save back?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #135
Kodos
Resident Alien

I believe the answer to that is no.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #136
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I figured not, but hey they are going to REALLY fix the defensive back AI this time, so I figured I'd check...
Old 06-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #137
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

please stop hyping the game EF

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #138
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ah, there you are incorrect. I've played the game each and every year. I just don't pay for it, not even a rental. And if you've seriously bought into the hype and think the stars will suddenly align this year, you're likely in for a rude awakening given the precedent set by this series, but I'll hope for the best.

go watch some MGS cutscenes

What's wrong with getting excited? If it sucks, so be it.. but at least they are making themselves present online.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #139
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
please stop hyping the game EF

My bad. It is all my fault if you buy it and it disappoints
Old 06-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #140
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My bad. It is all my fault if you buy it and it disappoints

At least my wife thinks that.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #141
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
At least my wife thinks that.

I don't think she was referring to the game when discussing her disappointment...........
Old 06-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #142
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think she was referring to the game when discussing her disappointment...........

I never disappoint in that department.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:33 AM   #143
RainMaker
General Manager

Holy crap! Have you heard Tom Hammond in the game? That's embarassing. I seriously can't believe they are actually going to put that announcing in the game. The radio guy was much better than that.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #144
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

While I was pre-ordering Civ Rev.. I gave in and also pre-ordered the Madden 09 collector's edition. Damn I feel dirty!

The main reason was to get HC 09 earlier than its release. I'm sure I'll for this.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:58 AM   #145
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just when you think it couldn't get worse. EA shortens Madden's already-short development lifecycle by announcing that Madden 09 has gone gold 6 weeks before the release date. Uhhhh, I'm sure all of those nagging issues got addressed.........

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/884/884259p1.html
Old 06-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #146
CraigSca
Pro Starter

It's gold, but it still has to go through the 4-5 week certification process by Sony and Microsoft, so I think the term "gold" is a little premature here.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #147
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
It's gold, but it still has to go through the 4-5 week certification process by Sony and Microsoft, so I think the term "gold" is a little premature here.

Not really. The certification process doesn't address gameplay/AI issues. It's only designed for quality control and to catch any game-crashing bugs. They should have no problems passing through that.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #148
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not really. The certification process doesn't address gameplay/AI issues. It's only designed for quality control and to catch any game-crashing bugs. They should have no problems passing through that.

It's still a 4 to 6 week process. Several developers on OS have said so, not just EA. It's not like EA just wrapped up their work on the game early for no reason, most games just choose not to announce Gold status until they have been certified by MS/Sony and are actually starting to produce disks.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #149
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
It's still a 4 to 6 week process. Several developers on OS have said so, not just EA. It's not like EA just wrapped up their work on the game early for no reason, most games just choose not to announce Gold status until they have been certified by MS/Sony and are actually starting to produce disks.

I'll defer to you. If anything, it's a case of EA trying to start the hype wagon that much sooner to make sure that discs are sold regardless of how good/bad the game is this year.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #150
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll defer to you. If anything, it's a case of EA trying to start the hype wagon that much sooner to make sure that discs are sold regardless of how good/bad the game is this year.

Absolutely a PR move, and a bad one because it creates the impression for some people that they wrapped up early for no reason.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-26-2008 at 09:15 AM.