Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #101
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
I think if you are 35 or below, you probably missed out on Prince at his best.
He was HUGE in my age bracket. Purple Rain came out when I was a freshman in high school and it immediately supplanted Thriller as the record everyone was listening to. His blend of funk and new wave was inspired and his songwriting on that record was top-notch. He was a bridge across race, ethnicity and social cliques - outside of maybe the most hard-core hard rockers, he was someone that everyone listened to.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #102
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What kills me is all the people on the radio saying how various songs changed/molded their life and I keep wondering if someone should tell them to listen to the lyrics a little closer.

Heh, maybe some of his early work did change/mold their lives. I mean, we don't really know what those callers do in their free time
Old 04-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #103
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
He was HUGE in my age bracket. Purple Rain came out when I was a freshman in high school and it immediately supplanted Thriller as the record everyone was listening to. His blend of funk and new wave was inspired and his songwriting on that record was top-notch. He was a bridge across race, ethnicity and social cliques - outside of maybe the most hard-core hard rockers, he was someone that everyone listened to.

And you are older than 35 ;-) I picked 35 randomly just because of facebook feeds/people freaking out because X has never seen Purple Rain. If you were born in the 70's he is in your wheel house but 90's not so much. Wife was making a big deal because a co-worker had never seen it and the guy was 29. Why would someone that age have seen it unless they really liked Prince? By the time they started listening to him, his music had changed so much.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #104
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And you are older than 35 ;-)
Yes, exactly - I agree with your assessment of his wheelhouse. I'm sure there are younger folks that were turned out to his peak years after the fact (much in the same way I went back to earlier Bowie, to classic Stones, James Brown, etc) but the impact wouldn't have been quite the same as living it as it happened. I remember a pair of twins in my high school that were excellent visual artists who adopted Prince's Purple Rain look, complete with matching perm hairstyles, pencil-thin mustaches, purple jackets very similar to what he wore in the movie, the white frilly shirts and tight leather pants. They got a lot of positive attention from the ladies
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:59 PM   #105
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Comfortably Numb with some Purple Rain added.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 04-25-2016 at 03:59 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:47 AM   #106
Dutch
"Dutch"

Cool little shout out.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #107
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe I'm the only person who is already getting awfully weary of the fanboy canonization on social media.

I've given the guy tons of credit for his talent but the stuff I've seen today expressing various degrees of disbelief about the various reports concerning the specifics of his death are truly some remarkable fanboy shit.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #108
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I can't believe I'm the only person who is already getting awfully weary of the fanboy canonization on social media.

I've given the guy tons of credit for his talent but the stuff I've seen today expressing various degrees of disbelief about the various reports concerning the specifics of his death are truly some remarkable fanboy shit.

What's the (real) story of cause of death?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #109
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
What's the (real) story of cause of death?

Unlikely anyone will know (barring leaks) for up to 2-3 months. Waiting for toxicology reports to come back takes time.

The two big stories today have been "OMG, it was AIDS" & the investigation into opioid medication on his body at the time of death.

The former is being widely reported but all of the versions come back to the National Enquirer story that cites various "sources", ranging from "a music industry insider" to workers at his local drugstore.

The latter though, that's got law enforcement officials both on the record & anonymously telling everyone from CNN to the BBC that they're looking hard at where those drugs came from & how he got them. Could they all be legit? Sure. And none of the reports I've seen say otherwise.

Where I'm #smdh irritated today is the amount of "OMG, what an awful thing to say, he would NEVER ..." whatever.

Srsly? How f'n dumb to you have to be to find it "unbelievable" that {gasp} a musician/entertainer/celebrity might have indulged in unsafe sex, drug abuse, or both?
Old 04-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #110
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I think two days ago I told everyone at work I was Princed-out already...
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #111
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quik won't be happy to hear this news...

Disappointing Prince Vaults Found To Contain 37,000 Hours Of Billy Joel Covers - The Onion - America's Finest News Source
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #112
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dammit, just copied link
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #113
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Prince died of opioid overdose, official tells AP | Fox News
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #114
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote