Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #101
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
As a Dolphins fan I agree that the front office/ownership isn't looking too classy with how they've handled this. And it's going to look even worse if Harbaugh turns them down.

I'm not sure Sporano is the problem either, I think the offensive coordinator and quarterback were the biggest problems this season. And as well as Harbaugh has done at Stanford I remember what happened the last time we got a highly rated college coach. Not that I think Harbaugh would be a failure in Miami, I'm just iffy on guys without a lot of NFL coaching experience.

Agreed. At this point I think I would rather Stephen give $2 mil to Michigan to help pay Harbaugh's salary there and spend the rest on restructuring the Dolphin organization.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #102
kingfc22
Head Coach

As much as I wanted to Niners to get Harbuagh, there is no way I'd pay him $8M a year.

I'd like to see them go after somebody like Billick.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #103
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I just don't understand Ross going this hard for Harbaugh, the Dolphins last two 'make a splash hires' (Johnson and Saban) have blown up in their face.

To me this team would probably make far more progress by retaining Sparano and bringing in someone like Josh McDaniels to run the offense and tutor Chad Henne. Though Sparano and Ireland may not be able to work together going forward... evidently Ireland threw Sparano 'under the bus' to save his own job.

EDIT: The second part of my frustration, is that you're keeping Sparano from interviewing replacement candidates for the retiring Dan Henning. By the time Ross is done playing footsie with Harbaugh, Sparano will have fewer quality candidates to choose from.

Last edited by BillJasper : 01-06-2011 at 08:43 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #104
miami_fan
Coordinator

Will any of those high powered coaches (Cowher, Gruden, Billick etc.) get a job this year?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #105
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm not sure any of them want any of the openings. Carolina might have been intriguing to a QB guru like Gruden if Luck was on the table with the #1 pick, but otherwise you have teams that are pretty devoid of talent and I don't see any of them coming back for these openings. I think Billick might be done for good, Gruden has a good thing going on with MNF and Cowher is only going to come back for a situation that fits his family perfectly.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #106
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Will any of those high powered coaches (Cowher, Gruden, Billick etc.) get a job this year?

Saw a blurb regarding Cowher being interested in the Miami job, but he wanted total control, including hiring his own GM. Obviously that wasn't going to happen with Ireland still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #107
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Only Denver, San Francisco and Carolina are truly open jobs at this point? I honestly don't see Baalke bringing someone into Frisco that will undermine his authority and probably the same thing holds true for Elway in Denver. The odds are probably against Jerry Richardson paying a coach $7 million a year after doing nothing but cutting costs the last two years.

So... no. I don't think any of these guys end up with jobs this year.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #108
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
The problem with Michigan for Harbaugh is he has to use "spread option" players (esp OL) for the next 2-3 years when he really wants to run the pro style system he did at Stanford. And, given the crazy expectations he will have (esp at that salary), there's a pretty low chance at success for the first 2-3 years. If he goes 4-8, 6-6 and 7-5, he's going to take a big hit and be similar to Rich Rod in the criticism.

If I were him, I'd go to an owner that will spend (ie, Miami, SF or Denver) in the NFL and he'd have a better chance at success.

I don't see them going 4-8. I can see some kind of minor down swing, but 4-8 seems extreme. For one, there would be none of this 3-3-5 defense bull crap. Forcier would be the most logical starter until he brings in a pro style QB unless he likes Gardner enough and I think Forcier can hold fort until the switch comes. One of the issues that offense has is the QB has to do so much of it. I think it's what hurt both QBs. If they were off even a little, the offense was sunk. Add in the needed pieces and a defense that doesn't give up 30-40 points a game and suddenly the QB isn't carrying the weight of the team on their shoulders. And let's be honest, all the new coach has to do is beat the lesser teams, which should be way doable, and he matches what RR did and build from there.

Harbaugh would definitely need two years before I would think the team becomes decent enough to really expect much. Year 3 is when expectations would be legitimate. Hoke would have lesser expectations and I think you add a year for real expectations kicking in.

Harbaugh might not want to deal with Tebow being less of a pro style QB. SF is a mess in terms of QBs. At least with Miami he has a Michigan QB from the time where that at least meant something. Even if Henne sucks, he figures it is the lesser of the evils and it is the best for him to work with. Granted, I wouldn't pick a team solely based on their QB. 7-8mil to live in Miami and if I bomb I can still crank out 20+mil for my time? Hell yeah I would be interested in that.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #109
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I don't see them going 4-8. I can see some kind of minor down swing, but 4-8 seems extreme. For one, there would be none of this 3-3-5 defense bull crap. Forcier would be the most logical starter until he brings in a pro style QB unless he likes Gardner enough and I think Forcier can hold fort until the switch comes. One of the issues that offense has is the QB has to do so much of it. I think it's what hurt both QBs. If they were off even a little, the offense was sunk. Add in the needed pieces and a defense that doesn't give up 30-40 points a game and suddenly the QB isn't carrying the weight of the team on their shoulders. And let's be honest, all the new coach has to do is beat the lesser teams, which should be way doable, and he matches what RR did and build from there.

Harbaugh would definitely need two years before I would think the team becomes decent enough to really expect much. Year 3 is when expectations would be legitimate. Hoke would have lesser expectations and I think you add a year for real expectations kicking in.

Harbaugh might not want to deal with Tebow being less of a pro style QB. SF is a mess in terms of QBs. At least with Miami he has a Michigan QB from the time where that at least meant something. Even if Henne sucks, he figures it is the lesser of the evils and it is the best for him to work with. Granted, I wouldn't pick a team solely based on their QB. 7-8mil to live in Miami and if I bomb I can still crank out 20+mil for my time? Hell yeah I would be interested in that.

While I love your positive outlook, I have to wonder what you are smoking. With the mess that is Michigan right now, I can't imagine some of these guys even being around next year, and the defense isn't going to magically get better all of a sudden.

Whomever comes in as coach in Ann Arbor has a clusterfuck to fix, and it will take longer than 3 years. That had to enter the mind of Harbaugh, and anyone else even remotely interested in that job.

Quote:
Old 01-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #110
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
While I love your positive outlook, I have to wonder what you are smoking. With the mess that is Michigan right now, I can't imagine some of these guys even being around next year, and the defense isn't going to magically get better all of a sudden.

Whomever comes in as coach in Ann Arbor has a clusterfuck to fix, and it will take longer than 3 years. That had to enter the mind of Harbaugh, and anyone else even remotely interested in that job.

The defense and special teams really must improve. There is NO way they could be any worse. Even if they went out with nobody to kick or punt the ball and played with 8 men on D it couldn't really be worse.

I think a good coach could implement schemes that allow a transition on offense back to a pro-style offense while implementing some of the things that have been done the last few years. The best coaches find a players strengths & work with them.

I still think 6 or 7 wins is possible next year, even with the transition.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #111
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The problem is the OL, QB and WR spots on offense. He has to basically replace each of these with "his" guys to run a pro style offense (and that's not even looking at FB and TE). You could luck into 1-2 decent JC OL, but the rest of the squad won't be ready for atleast 2 seasons.

After what just happened with Rich, Harbaugh could face a ton of national scrutiny if he treads water in 11 and 12 - which would be quite a feat given the state of the defense. No one would expect him to win 9-10 games in the pros for year 1 or 2 - but they will at Michigan (esp if he's paid big bucks).
Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #112
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Looks like Miami is now keeping Sparano:

hxxp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/06/glazer-fins-keeping-sparano/

Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #113
Kodos
Resident Alien

What a joke. Teams attempting to get Harbaugh sure are looking foolish.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #114
bronconick
College Starter

Brett Favre thinks Jim Harbaugh is an attention whore.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #115
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Actually, I thinnk Harbaugh has done just what he needs to do - stay the heck out of dodge until a decision's been made. I don't know how teams/schools making their pursuit of him so visible and public is a reflection on him. Other than a good one, that he is in such demand.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-07-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #116
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
As much as I wanted to Niners to get Harbuagh, there is no way I'd pay him $8M a year.

I'd like to see them go after somebody like Billick.

I still don't understand why Billick doesn't get more play.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #117
Ksyrup

It must be the video of him on The Dating Game.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #118
Logan
Head Coach

Match Game!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #119
Ksyrup

Sorry, my 70s TV gameshows run together.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #120
spleen1015
Coordinator

Billick is an arrogant asshole. That's why.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #121
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

At this point, unless Harbaugh for some reason decides to come to Michigan, I hope he falls on his face. Yes, this would be partially sour grapes, but this whole thing has been irritating.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #122
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
At this point, unless Harbaugh for some reason decides to come to Michigan, I hope he falls on his face. Yes, this would be partially sour grapes, but this whole thing has been irritating.

Like others have said, I don't understand why anyone has ill-will towards Harbaugh.

What exactly has he done wrong besides not choose your favorite school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #123
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

First, I pretty clearly admitted that most of this was sour grapes, i.e., not picking my (and his) alma mater to coach.

I am also getting the sense that he is attention whoring this whole thing. It's only a sense, but I trust my instincts. I am more often right than wrong.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #124
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Slighted Michigan fans aside why on earth does anyone think Harbaugh has done anything wrong?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #125
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Actually, I thinnk Harbaugh has done just what he needs to do - stay the heck out of dodge until a decision's been made. I don't know how teams/schools making their pursuit of him so visible and public is a reflection on him. Other than a good one, that he is in such demand.

Agreed. Harbaugh hasn't come out and said a damn thing to anybody in public yet. I don't get the hate here for him, what exactly has he been doing that warrants the "attention whore" label?

Quote:
Old 01-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #126
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Like others have said, I don't understand why anyone has ill-will towards Harbaugh.

He has interviewed for a job that technically wasn't open in Miami, which is just bush league.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #127
Ksyrup

I guess it's possible he's in on the leaking of information (or his agent is), but I haven't seen that.

Honestly, these guys can't win - Saban comes out and chastizes a reporter for asking if he's leaving Miami, then bolts a week later and we rightly give him shit about it. Now a coach purposely says nothing but doesn't appear to be hiding the fact that he's going to listen to offers (so he doesn't commit either way and/or outright lie), does what seems to me to be an excellent job of keeping his own possible distractions away from his team's preparation for a big game (compare him with Les Miles a few years ago when the Michigan job came up, and his team was playing for a national title no less!), and now we want to find fault with him for being an attention whore? I don't get it.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #128
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
He has interviewed for a job that technically wasn't open in Miami, which is just bush league.

That's on the team more than it is him. This happens all the time. Most of the time, the interviewing team doesn't let it be known so publicly that they are watching him at a bowl game and then flying across the country to interview him for a job that is still filled.

What's he going to say - your chances of hiring me are 40/60, but to even talk to you, you need to fire Sparano? I think that would suck more for Sparano than what's happened, frankly.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-07-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #129
RedKingGold
College Starter

Yup, Harbugh didn't go on his whirlwind tour until after Stanford's bowl game, and it's been "team sources" who have been going apeshit reporting Harbaugh's comings and goings.

This has also been pretty good negotiating by Harbaugh. It might be the only time you have this many suitors by the balls, might as well play it for all its worth.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #130
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Based on what I can gather.

It appears as if Harbaugh has turned down both the Dolphins (and their alleged whopping $7 - $8 million a year deal) and the Broncos.

He has met with the 49ers, but I haven't heard that he out right rejected their offer.

He has apparently declined the Michigan job.

Other than staying at Stanford, what's realistically left out there for him?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #131
Ksyrup

The Browns, Pitt & UConn?

Denver might as well just hire an assistant who is desperate for a job at this point and re-evaluate everything in 2 years. When you're going hard after a guy, and he's been rumored to have taken or talked money with 2-3 teams, and the articles are saying you are still hopeful of getting an interview...yeah, you pretty much suck.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-07-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #132
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Based on what I can gather.

It appears as if Harbaugh has turned down both the Dolphins (and their alleged whopping $7 - $8 million a year deal) and the Broncos.

He has met with the 49ers, but I haven't heard that he out right rejected their offer.

He has apparently declined the Michigan job.

It sure sounds like he is and Luck are gearing up for another run at Stanford. Next year, there may be more attractive NFL jobs opening up (Giants? Chargers? Texans?).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #133
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
It sure sounds like he is and Luck are gearing up for another run at Stanford. Next year, there may be more attractive NFL jobs opening up (Giants? Chargers? Texans?).

Yup. As soon as Luck announced he was staying, I figured Harbaugh is staying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #134
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Slighted Michigan fans aside why on earth does anyone think Harbaugh has done anything wrong?

Honestly, if the Brett Favre saga has taught us anything, it's that people love to hate fame.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #135
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
That's on the team more than it is him. This happens all the time. Most of the time, the interviewing team doesn't let it be known so publicly that they are watching him at a bowl game and then flying across the country to interview him for a job that is still filled.

What's he going to say - your chances of hiring me are 40/60, but to even talk to you, you need to fire Sparano? I think that would suck more for Sparano than what's happened, frankly.

Exactly...I hope the people who gave Harbaugh shit about how he "handled" this realize that Sparano would be out of a job if he followed their holier-than-thou approach.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #136
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Exactly...I hope the people who gave Harbaugh shit about how he "handled" this realize that Sparano would be out of a job if he followed their holier-than-thou approach.

And I don't see what Harbaugh owes to Sparano. That's just weird. If Luck had come out, should he refuse to go to Carolina because he'd be costing Jimmy Clausen a job? Football is competitive on and off the field. You're trying to get jobs and starting positions, which by definition - takes those positions away from someone else. You don't owe anything to someone you beat out for a job or a starting QB spot.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #137
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Cowherd reporting it is down to the Niners or Stanford. I say Stanford.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #138
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

Gimme a break, this happens all the time, in sports and the real world. Half the time people train their replacement without even realizing it.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #139
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

He's already said staying at Stanford is very much an option, so if the SF job isn't so dream job after all, he's staying. I would think a possible run at the Chargers job next year would be very tempting for him.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #140
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Harbuagh to 49ers, per Schefter.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #141
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Harbuagh to 49ers, per Schefter.

5 yrs. Money unknown yet.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #142
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Van Pelt just mentioned it.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #143
kingfc22
Head Coach

Niners press conference at 330 PM PST.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #144
RedKingGold
College Starter

w00t! I feel like this is the best thing to happen to the 49ers in awhile.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #145
Ksyrup

You know, I have resisted twitter until now because I personally would have absolutely no use for it, but it's getting to the point where I may have to establish an account just to get the latest instant sports news because even having instant access to ESPN.com isn't good enough to get immediate info these days. And they bury the twitter feeds on there. Is there a way to RSS people's twitter feeds without getting a twitter account?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-07-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #146
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Dammit. I hate the fourty-whiners.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #147
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
5 yrs. Money unknown yet.

Schefter just tweeted 25 million.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #148
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Dammit. I hate the fourty-whiners.

He was never going to Ann Arbor so get over it. It was NFL or Stanford.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #149
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
You know, I have resisted twitter until now because I personally would have absolutely no use for it, but it's getting to the point where I may have to establish an account just to get the latest instant sports news because even having instant access to ESPN.com isn't good enough to get immediate info these days. And they bury the twitter feeds on there. Is there a way to RSS people's twitter feeds without getting a twitter account?

+1

I resisted twitter for the longest time until I got an iPad this Christmas. I'm now convinced its the quickest/most efficient way to get sports news (and other stuff).

Just set up a dummy twitter account and follow guys. Posting updates about yourself when you're nobody is pretty gay.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 01-07-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #150
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
He was never going to Ann Arbor so get over it. It was NFL or Stanford.

Thanks for the insight, Mrs. Harbaugh.