Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #101
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Also, why wasn't there a 10 second run off after the PI call?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #102
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Isn't that only for a penalty when the clock is running?

http://www.footballfoundation.org/Ne...21/entryid/63/

Quote:
The first of these was introduced in 2011. The rules were changed that year so that if the clock is running inside of one minute in either half and a player commits a foul that causes the clock to stop, the opponent has the option of having 10 seconds taken off. This is to reduce the potential clock advantage gained by a team deliberately committing a foul to get the clock stopped. While the clock always is stopped for administration of a penalty, this rule applies to fouls that themselves cause the clock to stop. A false start is one example. Intentionally grounding a pass is another. If the fouling team has a timeout available they can avoid the 10-second runoff by burning the timeout.

Last edited by mckerney : 10-18-2014 at 10:54 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #103
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
All is right with the world when ND loses.

Normally, I would agree with you 100 percent. Not tonight though.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:53 PM   #104
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I swear, Fisher has the most punchable face I have ever seen. Winston comes a close second.

Seriously. Grade A jack asses
Old 10-18-2014, 10:53 PM   #105
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yeah, I guess it was how the clock was when the ball was snapped
Old 10-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #106
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, I guess it was how the clock was when the ball was snapped

I think it has to do with the clock when the play ended were the outcome to stand (in this case stopped because of touchdown) rather than whether the clock is running at the snap (unless of course it's a presnap penalty).

It's designed so a penalty can't be used to give the offense a stoppage of the clock and there was no benefit to Notre Dame in regards to time on the clock with that penalty.

Last edited by mckerney : 10-18-2014 at 11:00 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #107
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Holy crap, an offensive interference on a pick... what a dumb play by that WR...
Brutal ending, but right call. They ran the same play on the first TD of the night so I can't explain why he was so blatant. (Fwiw, when did OPI change from 10 to 15 yards?)

Fwiw, if ND had won that, Jameis should've gone Iceland in Mighty Ducks 2 on Jimbo... 15/16 in the 2nd half (one sack, one scramble for 8), 1.9 yards per rush all game... And FSU ran 3 times?

Oh well, if ND wins out they'll have a better case than most 1 loss teams. Time to start hoping only one SEC West team finishes with less than 2 losses.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-18-2014 at 11:02 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:05 PM   #108
cartman
Death Herald

Here's the full rules on the 10 second runoff.

Quote:
In the NFL and NCAA, a 10-second runoff is assessed if any of the following acts are committed by the offense in the last minute of either half:

A foul by either team that prevents the ball from being snapped
Intentional grounding
Illegal forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage
Throwing a backwards pass out of bounds
Spiking or throwing the ball away after a down (unless after a touchdown)
Any other intentional act that causes the clock to stop

The 10-second penalty does not apply if:

The clock is stopped when the ball is set for play and will not start until the ball is snapped.
If the team on offense has timeouts and elects to use one in lieu of the runoff.
If the defense declines the runoff (which prevents the offense from committing fouls to intentionally run out the clock). Note that the team on defense may elect to decline the runoff while accepting the yardage penalty, but may not do the reverse.

So PI doesn't fall under the first section of acts that trigger the runoff
Old 10-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #109
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Horrible way for ND to lose, but it was the right call. Gotta at least look like you want to catch a pass. Still, ND showed a lot playing so well in a hostile environment. And Robinson is a stud. I agree with Bishop, if they can run the table and some funky stuff happens in the SEC, I can see them getting into the playoff.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #110
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Hahaha great stat... Teams that allow less than 120_yards are 147-2 in the last couple years... Both losses belong to Will Muschamp and Florida.

Cartman- clock was stopped prior to the pass.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:19 AM   #111
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

The administration of the penalty caused the clock to stop , not the foul itself. Only when the act of the foul is the sole reason for stopping the clock do we have a potential for a run off.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:46 AM   #112
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Fucking penalty cost me a four team parlay.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #113
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Mauk vs Driskell ... most hopeless QB matchup in D1 history perhaps?

I don't know. There have been some bad ones this year, and that is just in the SEC. Funny to think that last year was some of the best QB play probably in the history of the league (Manziel, Murray, McCarron, Mettenberger, Shaw, Marshall, Franklin. Heck even Wallace and Prescott). What a difference a year makes. Basically, Prescott, Marshall and maybe Wallace have been solid this year, the rest have been inconsistent, mediocre or just bad. Been a real stark contrast in one year.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #114
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You mean the offenses look horrid due to horrific QB play. Sorry, good defenses don't hold starting QB's to 70 yards on 38 attempts. This is not the '85 Bears vs. the '00 Ravens defenses out there.

Yeah maybe it's time we give Eddie Printz a look.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #115
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Normally, I would agree with you 100 percent. Not tonight though.

Me too.. I was pulling for ND vs FSU.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 10-19-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #116
tarcone
Coordinator

Well, a day after and I am still very disappointed. Im tired of the same boring football.
Iowa had an easy schedule through the 1st 7 and managed 5-2. And should have lost a couple others.
Our coach has got to go. Someone on HN mentioned starting a kickstarter campaign to buy out KFs contract. I would contribute.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #117
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Yeah maybe it's time we give Eddie Printz a look.

Last week was the week for that. He should have been in that Georgia game in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. We've got far too good of a backup for him to continue to sit in that situation.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #118
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Last week was the week for that. He should have been in that Georgia game in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. We've got far too good of a backup for him to continue to sit in that situation.

Well Pinkel already said Mauk is his guy.. so who knows at this point.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #119
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Will the playoff take an SEC west team that doesn't even make the conference championship over a one loss team that wins it's conference?
Old 10-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #120
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Will the playoff take an SEC west team that doesn't even make the conference championship over a one loss team that wins it's conference?

We'll know in six weeks.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #121
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Cal won a game 2 weeks ago when the kicker missed a 19 yarder. Oklahoma lost today (partly) because their kicker missed a chip shot. UMass lost to Vandy because they missed a 22 yarder. I didn't see the specific play/throe yet, but I don't mind going for the end zone with college kickers.
Sure. But that receiver wasn't even remotely open - Goff should never have thrown that pass.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #122
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
A&M's season is imploding.

And I don't think I've ever seen a case of the yips for a kicker as bad as they were for the OU guy today. Missed two chip shots and had a point after blocked.

Playing three ranked teams in a row can wear a team out. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't surprising losses and even a demoralizing one in there depending on the situation. Oh, and 'Bama out to prove a point isn't the game you want to mail in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

I think the Big 12 is taking itself out of the equation, so go with the conference champ from the other four. If the Pac-12 goes crazy, then two from the SEC will be an easy pick. I'm just glad OU screwed itself out of the playoffs.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #123
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Playing three ranked teams in a row can wear a team out.

A team doesn't have enough cupcake breaks? Oh boo hoo.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:27 PM   #124
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Sure. But that receiver wasn't even remotely open - Goff should never have thrown that pass.
Like I said, never saw the actual pass, so I'll believe it was a terrible decision by the QB. But both people posting were also calling out the play call.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #125
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Embarrassing show by RU, but I really hope they at least can injure a starter or two for OSU running it up.

Hate to pile on a couple days later, but this is really weak. Even beyond all the terrible injuring stuff, there's no such thing as running up the score unless we're talking a paycheck game.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #126
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Hate to pile on a couple days later, but this is really weak. Even beyond all the terrible injuring stuff, there's no such thing as running up the score unless we're talking a paycheck game.

Steve Spurrier agrees.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #127
miked
College Starter

Quote:

I didn't say I wanted RU to purposely injure anyone, was merely watching a team that was 100% better running up the score. In one way I was sort of happy to get that kind of welcome to the BIG, in another way it was a bit classless and typical Urban Meyer. But hey, if and you are winning by 50 in the middle of the 4th quarter, passing on every down, and going for it on 4th and goal on the 6 or 7, you deserve what happens...that was my implication. Lack of a paycheck doesn't really limit class.

And yes, if you are up by 40 and going for it on 4th goal, you are running it up.

That being said, I loved going to Columbus, awesome city, awesome fans, and a great marching band, which was consequently more fun to watch than the Rutgers defense (and most of the offense).
Old 10-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #128
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:

Ohio State also scored 0 points in the 4th quarter.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #129
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Playing three ranked teams in a row can wear a team out. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't surprising losses and even a demoralizing one in there depending on the situation. Oh, and 'Bama out to prove a point isn't the game you want to mail in.

I think the Big 12 is taking itself out of the equation, so go with the conference champ from the other four. If the Pac-12 goes crazy, then two from the SEC will be an easy pick. I'm just glad OU screwed itself out of the playoffs.

If ND runs the table with @USC and @ ASU they are likely going to be in thew discussion for the playoff. I guess SEC champ, FSU, and ND if they both run the table and whoever wins out of Big 12 Champ ,or PAC Champ.

Last edited by Galaril : 10-20-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #130
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
And yes, if you are up by 40 and going for it on 4th goal, you are running it up.

Or maybe you're getting your young QB and team into some hi-pressure plays in a game that was no longer hi-pressure. A field goal would have been a consolation prize for both teams. Going for it puts the pressure of being embarrassed back on both teams.

Anywho, glad to hear the good reports you have on your experience in The 'Shoe.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #131
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Like I said, never saw the actual pass, so I'll believe it was a terrible decision by the QB. But both people posting were also calling out the play call.
The play call wasn't terrible - why not take a shot at the end zone to get sure points rather than the risk of a FG attempt being missed or blocked? - but Goff had absolutely no business throwing that pass. The receiver was not open at any point during that play.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote