Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #101
Danny
Head Coach

Is that for this years version period or just for the ps4 / x1 consoles?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:39 AM   #102
Icy
Pro Starter

They killed a pro mode with those changes that was my fav mode along with the EASHL so definitely no purchase for me this year.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:53 AM   #103
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Still seems like a number of people reporting no major differences in penalties with full version so likely no buy for me either. I'll still try for myself to confirm tomorrow, but not sounding good enough for me.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:49 AM   #104
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Hate to copy/paste from the main OS article, but for those who don't peruse the main site, here's what they're seeing as missing (from the early access build) thus far:

Modes/Features
  • No GM Connected
  • No Online Team Play (when this is patched into the game later this year, it will use real NHL players and teams)
  • No EA Sports Hockey League
  • No EA Sports Arena
  • No Online Shootouts
  • No Live the Life
  • No Be A Legend
  • No Winter Classic
  • No tournaments or Battle for the Cup
  • No season mode (you can only play seasons in Be A GM, which is limited to NHL teams)
  • No NHL 94 Anniversary mode
  • No custom music support
  • No create-a-play designer
  • Cannot customize each team's AI
  • No create-a-team
  • No way to edit individual players
  • Practice mode is now limited to one skater vs. an AI goalie
Gameplay
  • No custom camera option
  • No Action Tracker replay highlights
Be A GM
  • Yearly draft is fully automated by the CPU
  • Cannot play the AHL games for your chosen franchise
  • Players sent down to the minors do not accumulate any season stats
  • No fantasy draft option
  • No preseason games
Be A Pro
  • No option to sim ahead to the next shift
  • You only play in the NHL; you cannot play for minor league teams
  • The Memorial Cup tryout period is gone. You now begin by picking an NHL team, or by letting a random CPU team draft you.
  • No All-Star game
Ultimate Team
  • Cannot play against your friends
  • No tournaments
  • No mobile app
All of the above features were available last year in NHL 14 for the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 but appear to be missing this year on the new-generation of consoles. If you have NHL 15 early access and have noticed any of these are actually in the game or if anything additional is missing let us know in the comments below.

How embarrassing.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #105
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Is that for this years version period or just for the ps4 / x1 consoles?

I believe just for the next gen consoles.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #106
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The other issue with this is that it wouldn't have been nearly as big of a deal if this game with these features was released a year ago on next gen. But when you take a year hiatus, you have to know that people expect at a minimum every feature that was on last gen. This is a PR nightmare for this franchise.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #107
Johnny93g
College Starter

Me and my buddies would have bought the PS4/NHL15 bundle if it wasn't stripped of features including GM Connected.

Me and my buddies then decided we'd get the PS3 versions of the game. After watching that, no chance.

They are charging a full price 69.99 here for these pieces of crap too. I hope 15 is a massive failure. Putting out crappy products and charging that much deserves a failure.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #108
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
No simming ahead to the next shift in be-a-pro? That'll take forever. The rest of it, meh.

That will kill it for me, this was key to getting a reasonable number of games in. Not watching 2/3 of the game.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #109
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

BeaGM looks more streamlined.. and full player stats. At least we can sign/resign players and trade..

Old 09-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #110
markprior22
High School Varsity

I'm not a big hockey fan but I thought I might try NHL this year. After seeing all the stuff that's been removed, I'm definitely going to pass. Might pick up FIFA if it gets good reviews. Another sports game that's always interested me but I've never played it.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #111
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
I'm not a big hockey fan but I thought I might try NHL this year. After seeing all the stuff that's been removed, I'm definitely going to pass. Might pick up FIFA if it gets good reviews. Another sports game that's always interested me but I've never played it.

What modes are you interested in? There is nothing removed that matters to me FWIW.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #112
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
What modes are you interested in? There is nothing removed that matters to me FWIW.

If I just want to pick up the game and play maybe a season or two as the Penguins that should be fine, right?
Old 09-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #113
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
If I just want to pick up the game and play maybe a season or two as the Penguins that should be fine, right?

Definitely. Side effect of playing as the Penguins is that you'll grow Crosby's moustache though. Have fun with that.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #114
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Yearly draft is fully automated by the CPU. That surely doesn't mean that you don't get to pick your own players in the draft does it?
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #115
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
Yearly draft is fully automated by the CPU. That surely doesn't mean that you don't get to pick your own players in the draft does it?

The upside is that they've added new commentators to make it fun to watch the CPU do it.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #116
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Haha - that's exactly what it means.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #117
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yep...

and I could care less about drafting, I always draft blind anyway

Over at OS, someone mentioned manual drafting would be added via patch.. but I've never really been able to get past 3 seasons, 300+ games to see my draftees do much (as I'm never at the top anyway).
Old 09-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #118
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I get that for those who really want to sim seasons out.. but I'd buy that hockey game by ootpd for that.

Gameplay is fantastic on next gen.. best it's ever been for this series. I just don't spend time worrying about drafting players as most of my time is playing each and every game out. I'm betting it will be patched as well as some other stuff like player editing (again, nothing that interests me).
Old 09-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #119
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Just lost 8-1 to Buffalo.. good grief.. game is much harder for me so far this year.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:05 AM   #120
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Got a chance to play a few games last night and at this point not going to be a purchase for me. From an actual gameplay perspective, really feels the same to me as prior versions which was my first impression when I tried the limited demo. Presentation might be a little different, but from a gameplay perspective if someone asked me which version was 14 or 15, not sure I could tell you which was which. If you like the core gameplay of past versions then I think you would enjoy it and should absolutely purchase it. For me I still pretty much can skate end to end and make those crease passes for goals, goalies are still spotty and random at times, and of course my number one immersion killer does not work any better, which are penalties. Played a handful of games and I think I saw one total penalty called and that was with all penalty sliders maxed, 10 minutes, and even in some games I put it on max aggression and hits. No way the combo of all those settings should only result in one penalty.

Maybe once this game hits the bargain bin (or if a miracle patch comes out) I'll pick it up just for some casual fun, but no way I can justify $60 for this game. I don't even care they removed all the game modes since I don't use them, but I really don't see any improvements in the actual gameplay to justify it. Seems to me they just minimally ported over to the new platform and that was it. Although not an arcade hockey game, my fix for hockey will be playing ActionPC hockey at this point.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:14 AM   #121
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Penalties are definitely not fixed and they are not in Madden nor NCAA so I doubt they ever will be viable in a sports game.

When I played my neighbor however, we had 12 total penalties with 8 minute periods.. so I just don't get it.

I do think the game play is much different however, especially if you play on hardcore.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #122
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Penalties are definitely not fixed and they are not in Madden nor NCAA so I doubt they ever will be viable in a sports game.

When I played my neighbor however, we had 12 total penalties with 8 minute periods.. so I just don't get it.

I do think the game play is much different however, especially if you play on hardcore.

Trust me, I WANT to like the game as much as you do, but just not clicking with me and will be the first version I don't buy day one in a long time. But I really don't see anything that is majorly different from prior versions, they play nearly the same exact way. To me they used this year to basically port over the prior version to next gen and didn't focus much on actual gameplay. I wish I really could see the difference, but to me everything basically works the same.

As for penalties, I understand it is no different than any of EA's other games and that bugs the heck out of me as well. But I think special team play is so critical in hockey and a fundamental element of the game, I forgive them less for not making it work in NHL. Can't recall which past version of NHL did it, but one of them was reasonably close. Why couldn't they just build upon that?

In any event, I am not going to continue raging over it....not much can change my mind right now unless a miracle patch is released or someone figures out the magic slider settings to somehow make the penalties reasonable. I hope people that can overlook these issues can get enjoyment out of it since hockey is a great sport to play.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #123
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

One question:

Can you create a player in this game and then have that player (or players) put on rosters for the GM mode?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #124
The Jackal
Coordinator

For what it's worth, in the first online versus match I played I took 5 penalties including a major in the first period
Old 09-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #125
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
One question:

Can you create a player in this game and then have that player (or players) put on rosters for the GM mode?

I've read that yes, you can.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #126
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Kicked off my BeaGM tonight with the Blues and the 9/3 roster. One thing you have to do is set your sliders and then go back and change it from "custom" to "hardcore" I noticed if I set it to "hardcore" and then made a few changes it would go back to "custom" and some hardcore settings such as game speed were back to the simulation settings. When I changed it back to "hardcore" it kept my settings but also moved the default hardcore settings back to where they should be.

First game at home vs the Rangers.. lovely. They started backup goalie Cam Talbot and stopped all 31 shots, my best chance was a breakaway with Oshie and he got a right pad out to stop what I thought was a sure goal.

Let me say this.. I've played more NHL 13 and NHL 14 games than I can count and to each his own, but NHL 15 next gen on the ice is the BEST representation of the sport that I've ever played. I'm just talking about the game play package. There were only two penalties, but the game play was just fantastic and even though the CPU AI teammates lack at times, especially on defense, it just felt like a real hockey game to me. We both had 31 shots on goal and I don't think the hit tracker is accurate for the CPU team because I know they laid me on my butt way more than 10 times.

It was a real sloppy game at times and then there were stretches where the tops lines were skating around and working flawlessly together. It was 0-0 after the first period and NY would get two by Carl Hegelin, one was a slapper from the point and the other a deflected shot over Elliott's glove. Rick Nash would add a slapper and we could never crack Talbot's armor even though we had our chances.

I saw things I've never seen before, the puck stopping on a clear out at the other end due to the ice surface deteriorating late in the period, a slapper on a bouncing puck that went way up into the crowd, the referee getting caught up in a play which caused the puck to bounce oddly and turn over to the other team, players taking each other out causing some really neat scrambles for the puck, etc.. etc..

Hopefully they enhance the game, especially all the missing modes and I really want BeaGM to get the updates promised, but the on the ice game play is fantastic IMHO.

Next up is Calgary... hopefully we can get on the board with some goals.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:02 AM   #127
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Todd, I think I asked you before, but do you use the "new" control scheme? The one using the right stick? I have never gotten used to using that scheme and I feel that the game punishes me for not doing so.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #128
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Todd, I think I asked you before, but do you use the "new" control scheme? The one using the right stick? I have never gotten used to using that scheme and I feel that the game punishes me for not doing so.

You mean the skill stick? I've used that ever since it came out years ago.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #129
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yeah, that's the one. Man, now I feel old - even amongst us "old guys".
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #130
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, that's the one. Man, now I feel old - even amongst us "old guys".

Hey, I hit 43 a couple of weeks ago.

Go into practice and you'll get better.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #131
The Jackal
Coordinator

Yeah I'm liking the gameplay a lot. I'm 9 games into BeAGM with the Flyers, and of course retooled their roster and I'm almost at the minimum end of the salary cap now, ha.

I have the settings set to be fairly tough, but generally I'm still outshooting teams fairly easily in 8 minute periods. Their shots just have a much higher chance of going in, so my goalie's save percentages are gonna be crap.

The puck physics seem great, hitting is realistic, penalties are a bit low but I don't want games to be too long.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #132
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I beat Calgary 2-1 in my second game of the season, shots were Calgary 32 and Blues 31, so it's been pretty even so far. I always out shot the CPU big time with NHL 13 and 14, so it's refreshing.

It just feels like a new game to me and much more representing of hockey than ever before.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #133
The Jackal
Coordinator

What I want to know is why Sanheim and Morin are in this game but GHOST BEAR isnt. RIOTS
Old 09-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #134
The Jackal
Coordinator

I'm 6-3-1 online now, I like that it's fairly difficult to execute covered passes, but it does lead to a lot of individual skating around and trying to make people miss their hits/poke-checks.

I have the settings customized to pretty much match this:
AlTito's NHL 15 Sliders - Operation Sports Forums

Have the CPU difficulty at 3.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #135
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Lost 4-1 against the Kings and then beat Arizona 5-4. There were a total of 48 penalty minutes in the Arizona game - we don't like each other that much.

I'm pretty much on AS/Hardcore defaults with fighting and penalties maxed, 10 minute periods.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #136
henry296
College Starter

Do you find the ice time distribution pretty reasonable in terms of the two lines not playing 50 minutes total.

Also, any tips on face-offs or playing defense. I lose at least 2/3 of my faceoffs and I'm almost always getting out of position playing defense.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #137
The Jackal
Coordinator

I manually control my lines, so not sure how the CPU accounts for it. Definitely have to distribute things more because I've got CPU/Human fatigue way up and fatigue recovery way down.

Face-offs are a timing thing, you get used to it over time. Also people's rating does influence it - Flyers for instance have awful, awful faceoff ratings. Think Schenn and Coots are both 70. There's also a slider for CPU faceoff difficulty, but I think it starts off on the low side.

When you say out of position on defense, are you going for big hits? As much as hitting is fun, I mostly poke check and try to stay in position. I'm definitely guilty of chasing the puck carrier too often, especially with defenseman, which opens up the cross-ice one-timers that the CPU loves and converts often.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #138
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do you find the ice time distribution pretty reasonable in terms of the two lines not playing 50 minutes total.

Also, any tips on face-offs or playing defense. I lose at least 2/3 of my faceoffs and I'm almost always getting out of position playing defense.

I find the CPU does a great job of getting all 4 lines out there, at least on 10 minute periods.

As for defense, I control a forward and come back to help - when I control a defensive player, I get deked too easily.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #139
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
When you say out of position on defense, are you going for big hits? As much as hitting is fun, I mostly poke check and try to stay in position. I'm definitely guilty of chasing the puck carrier too often, especially with defenseman, which opens up the cross-ice one-timers that the CPU loves and converts often.

When I play this game, I tend to play with my brother and a friend of ours. We make up games, put them on a team and then all play on the same team.

The results... are horrible. We struggle to win games big time. It's largely because we are always chasing the puck and are constantly out of position. We have not adopted well. Still, it's a ton of fun.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #140
The Jackal
Coordinator

Playing with multiple users can be a big advantage if you are on the same page - CPU controlled teammates often don't go to the optimal place that you'd like to pass the puck.

In terms of defense.. have a good goalie
Old 09-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #141
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I find the CPU does a great job of getting all 4 lines out there, at least on 10 minute periods.

As for defense, I control a forward and come back to help - when I control a defensive player, I get deked too easily.

Same here - only way I've ever been able to be remotely successful defensively really.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #142
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Playing with multiple users can be a big advantage if you are on the same page - CPU controlled teammates often don't go to the optimal place that you'd like to pass the puck.

In terms of defense.. have a good goalie

We're currently playing the Panthers. We have Bobby Lou. He has not been sufficiently good.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #143
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
We're currently playing the Panthers. We have Bobby Lou. He has not been sufficiently good.

Not sure about your experience, but most of the CPU's goals against me come on cross-ice one-timers that I leave far too open, or on giveaways when I'm trying to skate out of the zone instead of pass and put someone in a 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 spot.

I tend to try and clog the middle with whatever defender I'm controlling - both high slot and low slot. Try not to let people come from behind the net and walk in front, but also always be looking for that cross-ice one-timer.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #144
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

First update is out as well as a new tuner...

http://www.easports.com/nhl/news/2014/n ... ent-update
Old 09-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #145
gstelmack
Pro Starter

When they add back the ability to sim to the next shift in Be a Pro, wake me up...

But it was nice to see some of the other missing features starting to creep back in.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #146
The Jackal
Coordinator

I'm fine shelving this for a bit, will probably get back into it in a few weeks once the hockey season has started up. Right now I've got Destiny and FIFA comes out today.. so I'll be plenty busy.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #147
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Not sure about your experience, but most of the CPU's goals against me come on cross-ice one-timers that I leave far too open, or on giveaways when I'm trying to skate out of the zone instead of pass and put someone in a 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 spot.

I tend to try and clog the middle with whatever defender I'm controlling - both high slot and low slot. Try not to let people come from behind the net and walk in front, but also always be looking for that cross-ice one-timer.

We played a few more games. We kept getting killed.

We were down 5-2 against Buffalo, I think. We finally pulled Luongo and put in Al Montoya and ended up winning 9-5. Our next game was against Phoenix. We stuck with Montoya and won 7-6. We blew a 6-4 third period lead, but scored the game winning with 12 seconds left.

I can't explain the sudden goal scoring binge we had, but it did feel like Montoya was playing better than Luongo.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #148
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone have a Gamecenter Live Promo Code from NHL15 they aren't using?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:21 PM   #149
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow. Metacritic rating of 60. That's downright brutal.

Compare that to last year's game, which has a Metacritic rating of 81.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #150
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
When they add back the ability to sim to the next shift in Be a Pro, wake me up...

But it was nice to see some of the other missing features starting to creep back in.

Exactly my feelings, I played be a pro mainly in past years, this year the mode is a huge step back and the reason of me not buying it for first time in the last 7 years.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote