Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #101
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Hm. I would have recommended waiting a couple months -- they're likely to come out with the next gen hardware in the summer. Still a great device, though. (I have a gen 1)

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #102
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'd agree with ls. We have gen 1s as well and they're great. We were going to get my oldest son an iphone for his birthday but decided to wait until Christmas because I read somewhere that the next iphones will be a true 2.0 and last year's new model is really a 1.1 version.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #103
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Hm. I would have recommended waiting a couple months -- they're likely to come out with the next gen hardware in the summer. Still a great device, though. (I have a gen 1)

Yeah, I wanted to wait but my Blackberry crapped out and my contract was over with Sprint. It was either by a new phone through Sprint or move somewhere else. If the new iPhone turns out to be great, I'll probably pick it up at the end of the year. I never trust the newest versions as they always seem to have some issues.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #104
Travis
Pro Rookie

When is the next hardware supposed to be announced? I'm trying to force myself to wait, but I'd really like to know what upgrades they're (likely) going to make.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #105
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Probably June.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #106
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yeah, I wanted to wait but my Blackberry crapped out and my contract was over with Sprint. It was either by a new phone through Sprint or move somewhere else. If the new iPhone turns out to be great, I'll probably pick it up at the end of the year. I never trust the newest versions as they always seem to have some issues.

People "Say" that, but I'm not sure what they're talking about. I had no problems with my gen1. No one I know had problems with their 3g. [shrug]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
When is the next hardware supposed to be announced? I'm trying to force myself to wait, but I'd really like to know what upgrades they're (likely) going to make.

They never officially say when it will be announced. However, the guess is June.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #107
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I hate to admit it but I couldn't live a day without this phone. I would definitely be up to trying another phone but it is going to have to give hand jobs or something like that for me to switch.

I hate Apple but this phone is awesome. Looking forward to 3.0! And if only I could sync my music with Winamp like I do for my iPod.

Apple doesn't do everything right (iTunes!) but for the vast majority of things, it just works the way you think it should.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #108
Klinglerware
College Starter

I've read that many problems people have been having with the iPhone aren't really phone-related (and many were apparently rectified via firmware updates early on). But it does sound like there were/are some issues with AT&T's network capacity--there is suspicion that some of the issues people have been experiencing (frequent dropped calls, spotty 3G/slow data speeds, etc), are due to issues with the network not being built up adequately, especially in places like Manhattan where there are high concentrations of data users.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #109
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
I've read that many problems people have been having with the iPhone aren't really phone-related (and many were apparently rectified via firmware updates early on). But it does sound like there were/are some issues with AT&T's network capacity--there is suspicion that some of the issues people have been experiencing (frequent dropped calls, spotty 3G/slow data speeds, etc), are due to issues with the network not being built up adequately, especially in places like Manhattan where there are high concentrations of data users.

That's where I'm at right now. I'm having real spotty reception with it and voices are coming across pixelated. Have read on some forums that this is a rather common occurence in parts of Chicago (tough to get a true gauge with the Apple fanboys out there). I called support and they want me to get a new SIM card. I have an odd feeling that this won't fix anything.

The phone as a piece of electronics is great. It's a shame that the network is so shotty. Going to try the SIM card and then probably move on back to Sprint where I never had issues with calls.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #110
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
I hate to admit it but I couldn't live a day without this phone. I would definitely be up to trying another phone but it is going to have to give hand jobs or something like that for me to switch.

If you find a phone that gives you handjobs, count me in too.

*edit* to getting the phone...not to giving you a handjob.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 04-13-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #111
Rich1033
High School Varsity

So my headphone jack has been acting up on my iPhone and I decided to stop into the Apple store since I was in Ann Arbor on Saturday. Man, I cant remember such a bad customer experience. Just horrible. Honestly, I love my phone but I doubt I want to ever give Apple any business again. Hopefully other stores are ran differently than that one.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #112
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I have had nothing but great experience with Apple Customer Service. They gave me a new iphone when my first one was dropped too many times and the bottom half of the touch screen stopped working. They fixed my motherboard in a day when it was overheating on my macbook. They gave me a new battery when mine wasn't holding a charge like it used to. They replace my thing that surrounds the keyboard everytime I take it in. They're always nice, helpful, and responsive.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #113
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yeah I have to agree with Lordscarlet, I have always had Apple support and the local Apple store go above and beyond - but with any store chain, there's always a possibility that there's a few bad ones.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #114
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I caved in and upgraded to the iPhone today, I needed it more than ever for my online business and staying in touch with some of my marketing that I am doing. It's definitely going to take some getting used to, but I am already in heaven with it.