Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2006, 11:48 AM   #101
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I like Family Guy, but its simply not as funny as it used to be - and its become a parody of itself.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #102
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Family Guy, its [sic] simply not funny.

Fixed.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-05-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:07 PM   #103
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hate family guy, but it isnt as bad as drawn together. The Drawn Together creators need to be drawn and quartered, the Family Guy creators can just choose exile.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #104
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I enjoy Drawn Together. I can't believe the stuff they get away with... even though I realize its cable!
Old 04-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #105
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Wow, they really do have deep contempt for Seth McFarlane and Family Guy. So much so that this turned into a two part episode, which was a complete surprise. A nice bounce back from last week's disappointing episode.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:11 PM   #106
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Dola,

Wow, they did win a Peabody! I wasn't sure if the blurb during the commercial was serious or not.

hxxp://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,18736,00.html?fdnews

"South Park," "Galactica" Peabody'd
by Josh Grossberg
Apr 5, 2006, 2:20 PM PT

The Peabodys are finally respecting Cartman's authority.

The foul-mouthed cartoon cutouts of Comedy Central's South Park earned their first Peabody Award Wednesday.

The folks handing out television's most esteemed prize heralded the boundary-pushing 'toon's' brain trust, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, for continuing to poke fun of all "that is self-important and hypocritical in the American life, regardless of race, creed, color or celebrity status." ('Tis true, as Tom Cruise, the Virgin Mary and the dearly departed Chef can attest.)

"We see it as a bold show that deals with issues of censorship and social and cultural topics," Peabody Awards director Horace Newcomb told E! Online. "My line on South Park is that it properly offends everybody by design and by doing so it reminds us all that it's probably a good idea to be tolerant. It's also a very inventive and clever show."

Meanwhile, Sci Fi Channel's Battlestar Galactica, a hit reimagining of the campy 1970s series about a ragtag fugitive fleet on a lonely quest to start life anew on Earth, also brought home its first Peabody--something the original never did.

"It treats contemporary issues from an angle that really make you think about those issues…issues of race, gender, all those things are dealt with in that context," said Newcomb. "In a way it's almost a counterpart to South Park which just throws everything up there, while Battlestar considers them in a dramatic narrative."

Those two shows weren't the only Peabody virgins. FX scored a trophy for its Emmy-winning cop drama, The Shield, while the Sundance Channel won for The Staircase, an eight-part documentary by French filmmaker Jean Xavier de Lestrade about a North Carolina murder case.
"battlestar"

Also Peabody'd were ABC's genre-bending Boston Legal and Fox's cantankerous House. The David E. Kelley series about the tribulations of a Beantown law firm "somersaults from comedy to drama to stinging political commentary with acrobatic assurance and undisguised glee," per its citation, while the Hugh Laurie-led series was lauded for being the "most distinctive new doctor drama in a decade."

HBO won for three programs: Yesterday, a South African-produced film about a young mother diagnosed with AIDS; Children of Beslan, a documentary coproduced by the BBC focusing on the aftermath of a terrorist takeover of a Russian elementary school in September 2004; and Classical Baby, which was singled out as "an inventive, whimsical marriage of animation to classical music."

Showtime earned an award for Edge of America, a telefilm inspired by real events about an African-American teacher-coach who takes a job at an Indian reservation school in Utah.

Another notable documentary to garner a Peabody was No Direction Home--Bob Dylan, Martin Scorsese's four-hour exploration of the legendary folk-rocker using archival interviews, home-movie footage and concert film that was coproduced by the BBC and PBS' American Masters series.

On the news side, with Katrina dominating the headlines for months on end, the judges showered both NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams and CNN with kudos for their multifaceted efforts to cover the story. They also honored several Gulf Coast stations for coverage of the storm and its aftermath.

Now in its 65th year, the Peabodys are presented by the University of Georgia's Henry W. Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication and recognize excellent in broadcasting and cable. Unlike the Emmys, there are no categories, just a list of winners picked by a 15-member advisory board comprised of journalists and academics.

Hosted by The Daily Show's Jon Stewart, this year's awards ceremony is scheduled for June 5 at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City. For a complete list of winners go to www.peabody.uga.edu.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #107
sabotai
General Manager

It's so hard to tell when Parker and Stone are being serious and just messing around. I wouldn't be surprised if this whole Family Guy fued they seem to be starting is just fun and games.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #108
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And their parody of Family Guy was SPOT ON.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:44 PM   #109
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
I like Family Guy, but its simply not as funny as it used to be - and its become a parody of itself.

I haven't watched this episode of SP yet, but funny is funny, and Family Guy still makes me laugh my ass off, regardless of the "freshness".

People get snooty and over-analyze, but it doesn't make the subject any less effective.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:34 PM   #110
Galaxy
Coordinator

Problem with FG is they lack consistency. They've have some GREAT eposides, and some duds. I think Peter's character has been dumb down a little too much.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:39 PM   #111
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Problem with FG is they lack consistency. They've have some GREAT eposides, and some duds. I think Peter's character has been dumb down a little too much.

People said the same thing about Homer after the Simpson's first year. That obviously wasn't the case.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:44 PM   #112
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
People said the same thing about Homer after the Simpson's first year. That obviously wasn't the case.

FG had three seasons under its belt.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #113
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
FG had three seasons under its belt.

Either way, it still makes me (and a lot of others) laugh.

People, especially messageboard people, pick things apart to the point of hating everything if they want to. If people tried hard enough, they would do the same thing to SP. And they did a few years ago, when it was just about gross-out, no substance garbage.

Everything's cyclical and fad-oriented. It's an internet pack mentality thing.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:56 PM   #114
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Either way, it still makes me (and a lot of others) laugh.

People, especially messageboard people, pick things apart to the point of hating everything if they want to. If people tried hard enough, they would do the same thing to SP. And they did a few years ago, when it was just about gross-out, no substance garbage.

Everything's cyclical and fad-oriented. It's an internet pack mentality thing.

True....FG is my favorite show.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:32 AM   #115
Rizon
Pro Starter

Haha, great dig at the Muhammed cartoon uproar, while still getting digs in at Scientology and Comedy Central plus poking friendly fun at Family Guy. Brilliant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #116
JeeberD
General Manager

Yup, the genuis of last night's show was getting all three topics in without making it overkill. Outstanding episode, and I can't wait to see next week's show...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #117
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cartman did a damn good job of putting into words exactly how I feel about the Family Guy.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #118
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola,
Man, i hope they rip on McKinney at some point this season.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:40 AM   #119
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Simpsons already made fun of Family Guy.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #120
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot
Simpsons already made fun of Family Guy.

"Simpsons did it!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #121
Daimyo
College Starter

The funny thing is that South Park already had Muhammad on the show back in season 5 or so with the Super Best Friends episode.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #122
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
What will be interesting is to see how the rest of the season ratings hold up.

Well, let's see here, ratings for the week ending April 2nd (I'm probably not going to do this every week, I just happened to think of it today when I was catching up on some reading).

South Park
Wk of 3/26 Total Households = 19th (2,487,000)
Wk of 4/2 Total Households = Not in top 25 (<2,472,000)

Wk of 3/26: P 18-34 = 3rd (1,589,000)
Wk of 4/2: P18-34 = 4th (1,562,000)

Wk of 3/26 P 18-49 = 4th (2,349,000)
Wk of 4/2 P 18-49 = 5th (2,242,000)

Wk of 3/26 P 25-54 = 7th (1,661,000)
Wk of 4/2 P25-54 = 3rd (1,743,000)

So, minor slippage in the younger demos, a little growth in the older demos.
Hopefully I'll think of this again next week, because if the episode from wk of 4/2 was the letdown some in this thread indicated, it'd be interesting to see if it cost them audience the following week (which, I think, would be last night's Family Guy episode)
Old 04-12-2006, 09:05 PM   #123
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Hmm...
I liked last week, but I hope tonight's lives up to the build-up from last week.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #124
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

A network pulling a show is a sign that it might go off the air...

Sound familiar?

And this Bart Simpson thing...hmm...

/tk
Old 04-12-2006, 09:12 PM   #125
General Mike
Pro Starter

Cowabunga motherf*cker.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #126
DeToxRox
Head Coach

lmao! amazing. god damn amazing.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:20 PM   #127
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

PRIMA DONNA MANATEES!

/tk
Old 04-12-2006, 09:50 PM   #128
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Um... remember this thread and this horribly misguided thread?

This was Matt and Trey putting their collective feet up the asses of the people who even think the race for #2 primetime cartoon of the past 15 years is close. Sure, the Simpsons just isn't what it was, but it's in bonus time as it was the best primetime cartoon, if not show, ever after about 8 seasons and nothing it can do now as it dies a long, slow death can take that away.

Genius, genius episodes of South Park the past two weeks. The only complaint I have is that it seemed they only had about 42 of 48 minutes and had the stupid fight and bike race scenes go entirely too long to fill up time.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-12-2006 at 09:53 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:59 PM   #129
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Um... remember this thread and this horribly misguided thread?

This was Matt and Trey putting their collective feet up the asses of the people who even think the race for #2 primetime cartoon of the past 15 years is close. Sure, the Simpsons just isn't what it was, but it's in bonus time as it was the best primetime cartoon, if not show, ever after about 8 seasons and nothing it can do now as it dies a long, slow death can take that away.

Genius, genius episodes of South Park the past two weeks. The only complaint I have is that it seemed they only had about 42 of 48 minutes and had the stupid fight and bike race scenes go entirely too long to fill up time.

SI

Indeed. And I believe those fight/chase scenes were digs at some of the FG scenes where Peter clutches his knee or the chicken fights, so they had purpose.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:00 PM   #130
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Indeed. And I believe those fight/chase scenes were digs at some of the FG scenes where Peter clutches his knee or the chicken fights, so they had purpose.

Yep... my same thought too... the utterly dumb ass overwrought, "just end it already" crap in the Family Guy being parodied.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:08 PM   #131
LloydLungs
College Prospect

I think the SP/Family Guy/Simpsons stuff was just a subplot though. Main point of the episode was an elaborate swipe at Comedy Central over the censorship of the Scientology and Bloody Mary episodes. They've targeted a lot of people over the years but I believe this was the first time they've clobbered CC itself.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:47 PM   #132
sabotai
General Manager

Bloody Mary episode?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #133
JeeberD
General Manager

I was about to flip out at the beginning when they said it was preempted for T&P.

"NOT AGAIN, YOU BASTARDS!!!" :o

Old 04-12-2006, 11:07 PM   #134
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I was about to flip out at the beginning when they said it was preempted for T&P.

"NOT AGAIN, YOU BASTARDS!!!" :o

I actually called that one. I turned to my wife and said "watch, they'll do the T&P thing like they did with the Cartman's dad episode" because it was just too easy of a joke to pass up.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #135
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Bloody Mary episode?

The episode involving the menstruating Mary statue that the Catholics successfully got Comedy Central to pull.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #136
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Wow. According to Steve Spruiell, the failure to portray Mohammed wasn't part of the gag.

http://media.nationalreview.com/094921.asp
Old 04-13-2006, 12:27 PM   #137
JeeberD
General Manager

That's what I figured. It was done in a way that made me feel they were being dead serious and not joking about it...

Old 04-13-2006, 12:30 PM   #138
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
Wow. According to Steve Spruiell, the failure to portray Mohammed wasn't part of the gag.

Can anyone blame them?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:51 PM   #139
Bad-example
College Starter

I hope they are done with their axe grinding for a while and get back to being funny.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:08 PM   #140
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Can anyone blame them?

Well, yeah. Considering what the past two episodes have been about.

As for them being getting back to being funny, I thought they addressed that in an amusing way last night. In fact, I've thought this season has been incredibly funny while still being topical. I think they're at the top of their game right now.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:12 PM   #141
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Well, yeah. Considering what the past two episodes have been about.

It has been about trying to get the Comedy Central studios burned to the ground?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:16 PM   #142
Telle
College Starter

Quote:

That is a rather amazing bit of irony.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #143
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
It has been about trying to get the Comedy Central studios burned to the ground?

More like not being afraid to poke fun at anything and everything without fear of having your studio burned to the ground.

As Kyle said to the President of Fox last night: "You can't do what he wants just because he's the one threatening you with violence!"
Old 04-13-2006, 02:05 PM   #144
Daimyo
College Starter

Are they going to pull or censor the Super Best Friends episode now?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #145
hawk4669
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
Are they going to pull or censor the Super Best Friends episode now?

Sadly, since no one really "noticed" (in the negative sense) when it was new, they'll probably just never show it again and allow it to fade to memory.

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:09 PM   #146
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
More like not being afraid to poke fun at anything and everything without fear of having your studio burned to the ground.

As Kyle said to the President of Fox last night: "You can't do what he wants just because he's the one threatening you with violence!"
Maybe it's just what I read and focus on, but the whole Muslim aspect was completely amazing to me. The digs at Family Guy, Scientology and Comedy Central were all great, but the fact that the only principled defense of free speech against Islamic terrorists comes from South Park is pretty stunning.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:04 AM   #147
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Matt Stone and Trey Parker certainly have balls and I give them props for what they did with these last two episodes. I haven't watched nearly as much South Park as I would have liked to in the past and I will definitely keep on watching more.

Granted, I love Family Guy and it was sad to see them dig it, lol...was still great shit.

Gotta love american television
Old 04-14-2006, 04:37 PM   #148
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

As Matt and Trey likely hoped, this episode has received tons of comments. Just found this one on BoingBoing:

Xeni Jardin: William Donohue of the Catholic League is not a big fan of South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker. This week's Easter episode -- with a censored Mohammed, and Christ crapping all over Bush and the American flag -- didn't make his heart grow fonder, but it sure gave him a good case of pottymouth:
"'The ultimate hypocrite is not Comedy Central. That's their decision not to show the image of Muhammad, not Parker and Stone,' he said. 'Like little whores, they'll sit there and grab the bucks. They'll sit there and they'll whine and they'll take their shot at Jesus. That's their stock in trade.'"
/tk
Old 04-14-2006, 05:01 PM   #149
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Yeah, it's been amusing to me to see the reaction from some conservatives. They're not sure whether to wet the bed or lead a cheer.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:05 PM   #150
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
As Matt and Trey likely hoped, this episode has received tons of comments. Just found this one on BoingBoing:

Xeni Jardin: William Donohue of the Catholic League is not a big fan of South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker. This week's Easter episode -- with a censored Mohammed, and Christ crapping all over Bush and the American flag -- didn't make his heart grow fonder, but it sure gave him a good case of pottymouth:
"'The ultimate hypocrite is not Comedy Central. That's their decision not to show the image of Muhammad, not Parker and Stone,' he said. 'Like little whores, they'll sit there and grab the bucks. They'll sit there and they'll whine and they'll take their shot at Jesus. That's their stock in trade.'"
/tk
If that's really what he took away from the episode, this dude should probably sit the next few plays out.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote