Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #101
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
The campaign, which begins Thursday and carries the theme “Windows. Life without walls,” will move away from the enigmatic teaser commercials that featured Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld in offbeat conversations about shopping, shoes, suburbia and the potential of computing to improve life. The teaser ads have generated considerable discussion since they started on Sept. 4, not all of it positive.

What follows is an audacious embrace of the disdainful label that Apple, Microsoft’s rival, has gleefully — and successfully — affixed onto users of Microsoft products: “I’m a PC.”

One new Microsoft commercial even begins with a company engineer who resembles John Hodgman, the comedian portraying the loser PC character in the Apple campaign. “Hello, I’m a PC,” the engineer says, echoing Mr. Hodgman’s recurring line, “and I’ve been made into a stereotype.”

The strategy to use the Apple attack as the basis for a counterstrike is typical for the agency behind the campaign, Crispin Porter & Bogusky.

so, basically i know what i'm talking about. please refrain from responding to this, i wouldn't want to have to prove more people wrong and make a mockery of their incorrect opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
i can agree with that, actually. however, this would've been a bigger hit if they had a Jake Long "Mac" representative character, where the Mac guy is so unncessarily snooty and condescending that he misses out on all the fun and is left standing on the outside looking in cuz he's too elitist while Bill Gates, the more personable and "real" character, engages and interacts with people. that would've been a better campaign, and a clear answer to the Mac commercials.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #102
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah so what about those people who were saying Microsoft wouldn't "stoop down" to Apple's level?

edit: HA beat me to it.

Last edited by Logan : 09-18-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #103
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
I am kind of curious to see how the spoofs of the Apple commercials will work out...

they will be more successful.

why?

because the point of the commercial will be more transparent. they'll show you why their product is better than the competition and why you should have it, which, as i disclosed before, the answers to 2 important questions posed in advertising.

the Seinfeld/Gates commercials were so vague and enigmatic they must've been written by the writers of Lost.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #104
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Yeah so what about those people who were saying Microsoft wouldn't "stoop down" to Apple's level?

rest assured, i waste no time in showing people how i was right and they were wrong. everything would be much easier if everyone just took everything i said as the Bible. we'd save so much time.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #105
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:

Are they going negative on their ads? I thought they were only going to acknowledge the derogatory label that Apple gave them and put a positive spin on it, to take the label and make it their own.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #106
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Are they going negative on their ads? I thought they were only going to acknowledge the derogatory label that Apple gave them and put a positive spin on it, to take the label and make it their own.

That's how I read it.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #107
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Sorry, not how I meant it. People earlier were saying that it never makes sense for the market leader to acknowledge the existence of the poorer-selling product. I think these new commercials would definitely be doing that.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #108
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Ya, I stand corrected. I don't necessarily agree with the switch in tactics, but clearly the people in charge of the ad campaigns agree with HA.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #109
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Ya, I stand corrected. I don't necessarily agree with the switch in tactics, but clearly the people in charge of the ad campaigns agree with HA.

you are a breath of fresh air, and a rarity in the internet - someone who can admit they were wrong and that someone else was correct. i respect you and now look forward to future posts from such an honest and upstanding human. good day, sir.

Last edited by Anthony : 09-18-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #110
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sorry, not how I meant it. People earlier were saying that it never makes sense for the market leader to acknowledge the existence of the poorer-selling product. I think these new commercials would definitely be doing that.

Some were, but on the other hand, one can acknowledge the competitor without getting into an in the trenches fight.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #111
Anthony
Banned

Quote:

yeah, i meant MS should've went with spoofing the Mac commercials, turning it around so that no one wants to be the smarmy, elitist Mac guy and positioning the "PC guy" as the character people can relate to and embracing it.

the funniest thing in the world would be if they offered the guy who plays the PC guy in the Mac commercials more money to be the PC guy in the MS commercials. that'd be awesome.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #112
Galaxy
Coordinator

I love how the PC guy looks very much like Gates.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #113
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
yeah, i meant MS should've went with spoofing the Mac commercials, turning it around so that no one wants to be the smarmy, elitist Mac guy and positioning the "PC guy" as the character people can relate to and embracing it.

the funniest thing in the world would be if they offered the guy who plays the PC guy in the Mac commercials more money to be the PC guy in the MS commercials. that'd be awesome.

I'm sure Apple has a pretty stiff contract with him that would forbid him from doing that.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #114
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Interesting:

New Microsoft ads directly target Apple | Beyond Binary - A blog by Ina Fried - CNET News

Quote:
Despite some reports to the contrary, Brooks insists the plan was always to shift away from the Seinfeld-centered ads. He said that the company did not film any other spots with Seinfeld.

That is consistent with what Brooks told me in an initial conversation a couple weeks ago, though I must say the shift in conversation seems quite abrupt with little connection between the first ads and the new pitch.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #115
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
The article is a little harsh.

The only thing harsh about it was that it didn't use more negative adjectives to describe the "aging", "has-been" so-called comic.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #116
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
The only thing harsh about it was that it didn't use more negative adjectives to describe the funniest man in the world

Fixed.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #117
watravaler
High School JV

If they are trying to market Microsoft as "cool"(taking direct aim at the 18-35 year-olds), don't pick two of the "un-coolest" men walking the planet next time. I hate Seinfeld with a passion...Larry David MADE him...

For all the money Microsoft has, they seem to be relying on the "brainwashing" they did back in the 90's...they need to fire pretty much everyone in their marketing/advertising/PR division. Unlike Apple, who seem to have no problem meshing the the fields of neuroscience and marketing, Microsoft is losing significant ground in this arena.

Last edited by watravaler : 09-18-2008 at 06:32 PM.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #118
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wait a sec... what was Larry David before Seinfeld?! He worked for SNL for two years and couldn't get sketch on the show!

At least Seinfeld was a very good stand up comedian (and was a regular on Letterman and Merv Griffin). They undoubtedly made each other.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-18-2008 at 06:32 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #119
watravaler
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Wait a sec... what was Larry David before Seinfeld?! He worked for SNL for two years and couldn't get sketch on the show!

At least Seinfeld was a very good stand up comedian (and was a regular on Letterman and Merv Griffin). They undoubtedly made each other.

I can agree with that.

I loved the Seinfeld show, had no idea who Larry David was/or that he had a show till last year. I was just a little stunned when I stumbled upon it...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #120
Pyser
Pro Rookie

$10 mil for 2 commercials is pretty damn good work
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #121
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

From the article I linked (the CNet one):

Quote:
As for whether it got the value of the reported $10 million it spent to hire Seinfeld, Brooks had several things to say.

"We spent nowhere near $10 million for Jerry," Brooks said. "We've got options with Jerry and we consider Jerry to be a very good friend of Windows and Microsoft. Right now, we are entering a new phase, but it's not to say we might not bring back (Seinfeld). We've got our options open with Jerry."
Old 09-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #122
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
If they are trying to market Microsoft as "cool"(taking direct aim at the 18-35 year-olds), don't pick two of the "un-coolest" men walking the planet next time. I hate Seinfeld with a passion...Larry David MADE him...

For all the money Microsoft has, they seem to be relying on the "brainwashing" they did back in the 90's...they need to fire pretty much everyone in their marketing/advertising/PR division. Unlike Apple, who seem to have no problem meshing the the fields of neuroscience and marketing, Microsoft is losing significant ground in this arena.

I don't think Microsoft is trying to be "cool". In fact, it sounds like they are going to embrace the tag that Apple has given them.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #123
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It almost reminds me of the ending of "Revenge of the Nerds" with people coming out from the stands saying 'I'm a Nerd'!!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #124
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
If they are trying to market Microsoft as "cool"(taking direct aim at the 18-35 year-olds), don't pick two of the "un-coolest" men walking the planet next time.

Whoa, it was Jerry Seinfeld, not Jason Alexander.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:09 AM   #125
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The new commercials.

Bring back Jerry!

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:30 AM   #126
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Not impressed
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:30 AM   #127
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Great spin on the mac commercials.

They just took what Mac gave them and spun it into a very positive ad.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #128
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:

Agree. The way they subverted the Apple campaign ads with the "PC is for a more diverse group of people" angle is kind of clever. I liked how they even put in a "hipster" who sort of looks likes the Mac guy in there...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #129
Logan
Head Coach

I know HA works downtown, but I can still hear him laughing at his own foresight.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #130
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yep, exactly... these aren't meant to be funny like the Seinfeld ads, but to put a real face on "I'm a PC". Very well done.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #131
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Haha.

Irony: Microsoft 'I'm a PC' Ads Were Created Using a Mac
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #132
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yep, exactly... these aren't meant to be funny like the Seinfeld ads, but to put a real face on "I'm a PC". Very well done.

The Seinfeld ads were meant to be funny?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #133
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yes and they were hilarious.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #134
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes and they were hilarious.

And by that I must assume you mean "not funny in the least." Unless, perhaps, the sadness of how bad they were made you laugh.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:53 PM   #135
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet
And by that I must assume you mean that they were utterly hilarious and anyone who didn't think so has lost their humor gene .

I done and fixed it!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #136
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Yeah, no.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #137
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Yeah, no.
Oh well I guess that settles it. RendeR is going to be pissed that there is another expert on everything around here.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote