Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #101
bhlloy
Coordinator

RVP to Manure. Less than Andy Carroll as well. At least Arsene can buy 24 new French 19 year olds that nobody has heard of for a million each now, will make him happy
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #102
chesapeake
College Starter

Boo.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #103
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Van Persie could have done a lot worse, like going to the bench of Real Madrid or Barcelona... Although going from Arsenal to Man Utd feels weird, I have no idea what other club in the world would have made more sense for him to join at this point in his career. It had to be one of the big clubs, the Spanish are career wasters, Chelsea would be wrong with the London rivalry, AC Milan or Internazionale the wrong kind of league, making Bayern München the only other sensible option.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #104
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

It amazes me that some adults actually use "Manure" for Manchester United. It's so embarrassing.

Obviously van Persie is one of the best players in the league, and last year I think he was the best player. So I'm happy with the signing. But he has been injury-prone and Man Utd already had a lot of depth at that position while there are problems in other positions which seem as if they will remain unresolved. The other thing is that I wonder how Rooney, RVP, and the other big new signing Kagawa will fit into the same team. One of them (Kagawa or Rooney most likely) will have to play out of position unless we are facing one of the weaker EPL teams at home.

Piers Morgan is having a nice meltdown on Twitter if anyone is into that kind of thing. What a moron. And I don't know how all Arsenal fans think but no Manchester United fan considers Arsenal to be their club's "No1 rival." I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Arsenal fans hate Spurs more anyway.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #105
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Van Persie could have done a lot worse, like going to the bench of Real Madrid or Barcelona... Although going from Arsenal to Man Utd feels weird, I have no idea what other club in the world would have made more sense for him to join at this point in his career. It had to be one of the big clubs, the Spanish are career wasters, Chelsea would be wrong with the London rivalry, AC Milan or Internazionale the wrong kind of league, making Bayern München the only other sensible option.

I think he'd play a bunch for any club out there. At Real I think he's better than either Higuain or Benzema. He wouldn't move Messi out of the middle for Barcelona obviously, but with RVP being a pretty versatile kind of attacker he could compete with Villa (coming off a broken leg), Sanchez, and Pedro for one of the other attacking spots. Maybe he wouldn't start every game for Barca but I really don't think he would be a benchwarmer.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #106
Grover
Pro Starter

Just read the Piers twitter page. Outstanding stuff. What a petulant little child.

24m for a player with 12 months to run on his contract (to a rival or not) is fantastic business. Wenger knows they weren't going to compete with United or City for first. I still think they've got the driver's seat for third without van Persie.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #107
cschex
High School Varsity

I think RvP will be fantastic for ManU until the 2nd international break where inevitably he'll break or tear something for the Dutch. It's amazing how many of his injuries over the years seemed to come from those games.

As for Arsenal, I do hope Arsene considers another striker for depth, considering right now its Giroud, Podolski (who's really going to be playing on the left) and 3 players on their way out in Chamakh/Bendtner/Park. Swiping Victor Moses from under Chelsea's nose wouldn't be a bad move.

Oh, and buy a f***ing fulback

Last edited by cschex : 08-15-2012 at 04:43 PM.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #108
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Van Persie will never have another season like last year, so selling him at peak value is a Wenger-like move that I thought should have happened earlier--like soon after he bought the two Forwards who will provide as much as Van Persie did last year.

So I suspect he has players in mind and needed ready cash to pull off the deals. We'll see.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #109
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Just read the Piers twitter page. Outstanding stuff. What a petulant little child.

24m for a player with 12 months to run on his contract (to a rival or not) is fantastic business. Wenger knows they weren't going to compete with United or City for first. I still think they've got the driver's seat for third without van Persie.

24m for a player with 12 months to run on his contract, a consistent track record of missing about a third of each season through injury, and at an age where he's not likely to improve on last year (though when he's fit, he should still be very good).

Wenger's gambling that Giroud or Podolski can score goals in the Premiership, but just looking at the fee it's a good deal. Especially as Spurs are rumored to be selling Modric - who's two years younger, better at staying fit, on a longer contract, and similarly brilliant on the pitch - for a similar amount.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #110
Grover
Pro Starter

I still think Arsenal should go after Yann M'Vila. I don't get why Wenger backed off, unless it was a cash thing.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #111
Critch
lolzcat

If I was an Arsenal fan (which I'm not) I'd be more than happy with a summer that saw a want-away van Persie out with Podolski, Carzola and Giroud in. The three ins more than make up for the one out.

I havent been this sure a player was going to be a huge success in EPL as I am for Carzola since Man City signed Edin Dzeko.

And if I was a Man Utd fan (which I'm not) I'd be seriously happy about RVP too. Welbeck's 9 goals in 30 games as a striker is one of the main reasons they lost out in the league. Overrated cos he's young and English, RVP is a different level.

So in summary, everybody should be happy.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #112
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

phew!

He can't play midfield, right?
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #113
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
It amazes me that some adults actually use "Manure" for Manchester United. It's so embarrassing.
What like Mn Utd fans calling City - Man Shitty

(its traditional - nothing at all wrong with it imho, bit like having a go at 'cashley cole' ... nothing particularly nasty in it usually ... just friendly banter and ribbing)

Quote:
Obviously van Persie is one of the best players in the league, and last year I think he was the best player. So I'm happy with the signing. But he has been injury-prone and Man Utd already had a lot of depth at that position while there are problems in other positions which seem as if they will remain unresolved. The other thing is that I wonder how Rooney, RVP, and the other big new signing Kagawa will fit into the same team. One of them (Kagawa or Rooney most likely) will have to play out of position unless we are facing one of the weaker EPL teams at home.
I'm expecting Rooney to flex into other positions when everyone is fit and its 'required' (central midfield mainly - he's done well in that role before), I like van Persie enough that as soon as the signing came through I transferred him into my Fantasy Football side

Quote:
Piers Morgan .....
I can't stand Piers Morgan, for me the worst part of moving to Florida is the fact that for reasons unknown he's allowed to 'commentate' on matches here sporadically as if he has any understanding of the game at all .....

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 08-15-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #114
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
And if I was a Man Utd fan (which I'm not) I'd be seriously happy about RVP too. Welbeck's 9 goals in 30 games as a striker is one of the main reasons they lost out in the league. Overrated cos he's young and English, RVP is a different level.
RVP is indeed a different class absolutely - that being said don't underestimate Welbeck he's a young kid and has great instincts and movement ... in a few years time he's going to be immense if he keeps gaining experience.

(fantastic signing for Man Utd imho - the interesting thing for me will be whether RVP can stay fit the entire season or not)
Old 08-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #115
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
What like Mn Utd fans calling City - Man Shitty

(its traditional - nothing at all wrong with it imho, bit like having a go at 'cashley cole' ... nothing particularly nasty in it usually ... just friendly banter and ribbing)

That's just as bad. Same with "Liverpoo" or when I see fans starring out certain letters in their rival club's name as if it is some kind of curse word that must be censored.

After 25 minutes with Maurice Edu playing centerback in the Azteca, the USA has not conceded.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #116
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

holy shit! US 1-0 79th min
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #117
MrBug708
Head Coach

This is pretty bad for Mexico
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #118
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

this is the type of game that gets mexican coaches fired
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #119
cschex
High School Varsity

Tim Howard...oh my!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #120
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
This is pretty bad for Mexico

+10000

Old 08-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #121
MrBug708
Head Coach

How does THIS team win in Azteca?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #122
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
How does THIS team win in Azteca?

Not only that, but how does MOF of all people score the winner?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #123
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Stay Classy, Mexico! (US section at the Azteca has to be evacuated due to Mexico fans throwing projectiles)
Old 08-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #124
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

This is brilliant. Days after the whole country of Mexico is on a high after winning a glorified youth tournament, a USA team lacking a handful of their best players goes into the Azteca and ends that dreadful unbeaten run Mexico had against them there.

Tim Howard and Geoff Cameron were great.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #125
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

My mind is still reeling. Had to fire up some FM2012 national management fun.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #126
law90026
College Benchwarmer

RvP to Man Utd makes me sick tbh.

Selling to Man City or Chelsea? You could justify that as oligarch money. Selling to Real or Barcelona (or one of the foreign big clubs)? Justify that as getting him out of the country.

Selling him to one of our former rivals? A real lack of pride imo.

Does the deal make commercial sense? Sure. But it just sends such a terrible message, that the club is a selling club to its rivals (see Man City last year).

This sale only makes sense if the money is ploughed back into more reinforcements.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #127
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Love this headline from over at Fark:

US beats Mexico, in Mexico. For you non-soccer fans, the degree of difficulty here is comparable to forcing your wife to admit that she's wrong about something, at your mother-in-law's dinner table
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:42 AM   #128
whomario
Pro Starter

Was´t it also "THAT team" for Mexico ? (there had to be half a dozen or so guys that were at the olympics)

Still a great win obviously, just saying

Germany meanwhile looses to Argentina, 1:3 at home.

Bad result and for some reason the media is on the war path, but personally i was encouraged more than discouraged actually. Germany was the better team for 30 minutes, then the keeper saw the red card after fouling for a penalty (stupid rule imo and even more ridiculous to enforce it in a friendly game with 60+ minutes to go)
The new keeper Ter Stegen than came in and actually saved Messi´s penalty, but then directly before the half Khedira scored an own goal.

Then Germany had a couple great chances, Messi scored a beauty and Di Maria a freak goal and it was over.

multiple starters were missing and that resulted in the fun fact that in the 2nd half the oldest player was 24 years old.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #129
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
The new keeper Ter Stegen than came in and actually saved Messi´s penalty, but then directly before the half Khedira scored an own goal.

Marc-André ter Stegen, FM2012 God!

Old 08-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #130
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Marc-André ter Stegen, FM2012 God!

Very true. I need to go back in this coming offseason and try to pry him away now that I'll have the cash for it.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-16-2012 at 08:06 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #131
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
RvP to Man Utd makes me sick tbh.
Selling to Man City or Chelsea? You could justify that as oligarch money. Selling to Real or Barcelona (or one of the foreign big clubs)? Justify that as getting him out of the country.
I personally (as a neutral) prefer it to him going to Chelsea or Man City - it keeps competition alive and the title potentially more open.

Quote:
Selling him to one of our former rivals? A real lack of pride imo.
Does the deal make commercial sense? Sure. But it just sends such a terrible message, that the club is a selling club to its rivals (see Man City last year).
Commerical sense is vital for Arsenal - they simply don't have the ability to ignore financial realities in the way which Chelsea and Man City do.

(long term do bear in mind that things will get 'interesting' at some point in the future when Man City/Chelsea's chairmen get new playthings .... football has a cyclic nature with regards to rich chairmen, they don't last forever - look at Blackburn for instance, I expect a few of you can't even remember when they were a monied club but its barely a two decades ago they broke the British transfer record signing Alan Shearer)

Quote:
This sale only makes sense if the money is ploughed back into more reinforcements.
The reinforcements have already been bought, Wenger has already made some very decent signings in the off-season.

It was a 'done deal' that RVP was going tbh - most people knew it was happening, the real reason for the delay imho was to allow Wenger to make signings over the summer at economical prices.

If you sell a player for substantial funds and are known to 'need' a replacement then clubs will inflate prices accordingly, by signing replacements in advance Wenger got good deals at decent prices.

(just my take on it)

Arsenal will likely be bouncing around the Champions League spots again, on their season (ie. if they stay injury free and other title hopefuls done) they could still lift the title.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #132
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
This is brilliant. Days after the whole country of Mexico is on a high after winning a glorified youth tournament, a USA team lacking a handful of their best players goes into the Azteca and ends that dreadful unbeaten run Mexico had against them there.

Tim Howard and Geoff Cameron were great.

I've given a shot at understanding the workings of soccer but still don't have a real handle on "friendlies." I thought they were basically matches to keep players in shape. I think of it as Washington-Dallas playing a preseason NFL game or unofficial summer game. But judging by the reaction to the result of this friendly match, I must be wrong. I mean, first of all, I wouldn't want to risk injury in an unofficial contest and secondly, as a fan I wouldn't be all that excited if my team won this unofficial NFL game.

So would someone explain in further detail what friendly matches are for and why there is so much excitement over the outcome of these matches?
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #133
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
I've given a shot at understanding the workings of soccer but still don't have a real handle on "friendlies." I thought they were basically matches to keep players in shape. I think of it as Washington-Dallas playing a preseason NFL game or unofficial summer game. But judging by the reaction to the result of this friendly match, I must be wrong. I mean, first of all, I wouldn't want to risk injury in an unofficial contest and secondly, as a fan I wouldn't be all that excited if my team won this unofficial NFL game.

So would someone explain in further detail what friendly matches are for and why there is so much excitement over the outcome of these matches?

Most friendlies at club level are pointless, just to get guys in shape in preseason and/or to tour another part of the world trying to make money.

For the national teams, they are a little more important because the national teams only play around a dozen times per year so there aren't many chances to try out new players or combinations of players to see how they fit. Not that every friendly is this important by any means, a lot of them aren't a big deal at all. And next year I think FIFA is getting rid of this international date since it's just a few days before some of the European leagues play their first round of games and the clubs complain about it.

But it's always big when Mexico and USA play, it's the regions biggest rivalry by far. Additionally, USA didn't bring around half of their normal starters, had never beaten Mexico in Mexico (in part because our teams were generally pretty bad until the 1990s and we only play there every few years for various reasons), Mexico has been on a good run against the USA over the past few years, and there are fears about the future with them doing so well at youth tournaments recently compared to us. So all of that made last night's win pretty sweet. The biggest thing is that we never have to hear about never winning in Mexico again.

Last edited by Big Fo : 08-16-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #134
markprior22
High School Varsity

Ok...that helps put it in perspective. Thanks for the info.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #135
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
I think RvP will be fantastic for ManU until the 2nd international break where inevitably he'll break or tear something for the Dutch. It's amazing how many of his injuries over the years seemed to come from those games.
AH, the memories. Van Persie once picked up a nasty injury because some silly Italian defender (It turns out it was Chiellini and he's certainly not made his fame by making beautiful goals ) felt he had to prove himself in a game with nothing on the line and come in from behind to keep Van Persie from trying to shoot on goal. Thankfully Van Persie was out for 'only' 5 months with that 'broken' ankle...

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 08-16-2012 at 03:46 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #136
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
(long term do bear in mind that things will get 'interesting' at some point in the future when Man City/Chelsea's chairmen get new playthings

*sigh*
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #137
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
*sigh*

Hey I'm a Brighton fan I have to keep reminding myself of this a long time ago we were a glamour club (think Chelsea on a smaller scale) .... we fell a long long way down before starting our recent scramble up again.

The clubs which tend to be the most consistent long term performances are those who don't rely on short-term revenue or individual stars - but have committed managers to long periods and decent youth policies (the most obvious today are Man Utd and Arsenal).
Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #138
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The reinforcements have already been bought, Wenger has already made some very decent signings in the off-season.

It was a 'done deal' that RVP was going tbh - most people knew it was happening, the real reason for the delay imho was to allow Wenger to make signings over the summer at economical prices.

If you sell a player for substantial funds and are known to 'need' a replacement then clubs will inflate prices accordingly, by signing replacements in advance Wenger got good deals at decent prices.

(just my take on it)

Arsenal will likely be bouncing around the Champions League spots again, on their season (ie. if they stay injury free and other title hopefuls done) they could still lift the title.

I think that the message sent if they take the money and sit on it is that the club is, yet again, balancing the books and that's the most important thing. Not sure how much comfort that gives the next crop of players like Ox.

Bear in mind, I'm not saying the club should overstretch like Rangers or Portsmouth but surely there's some room at a club like Arsenal to spend something? There are still areas which can be reinforced (like DM, esp if Song is leaving, and FB) and this money should be channelled towards that.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #139
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I downloaded one of those user created transfer updates for FM12 and the Rooney/RVP combo isn't doing particularly well.

Last edited by Big Fo : 08-17-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #140
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
I downloaded one of those user created transfer updates for FM12 and the Rooney/RVP combo isn't doing particularly well.

I'd actually done the same thing (as an arsenal fan) and Cazorla is awesome and Podolski is scoring at will. Obviously this is exactly what will happen.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #141
Critch
lolzcat

In my game England won the European Championships and the World Cup. So it's maybe not great as a predictor tool
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #142
miami_fan
Coordinator

Clint Dempsey is holding out for a move from Fulham. I am not sure why Fulham did not sell him earlier.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #143
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Clint Dempsey is holding out for a move from Fulham. I am not sure why Fulham did not sell him earlier.

Money. No one is going to pay a premium price for a player while he is demanding a move.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #144
whomario
Pro Starter

Bayern is about to pay 40 mio Euros for Javi Martinez I realize he´s a young player with conderable ability allready and the Bayern bosses singled out the CM position as the biggest team need, but that´s some serious money for a player like that.
Of course you naturally have to include the "buying a player from Bilbao who can´t replace him due to their special rules" tax, but still that´s a ton.

Beside, i´m not sure (and many experts as well) if that´s really their biggest need. Imo they are lacking a clasical attacking midfielder most of all, maybe a type of player like Kagawa (or for the deeper role a guy like Modric), not a box-to-box midfielder.

But they have the money (contrary to most big clubs, they really actually have it on the bank with no minusses in sight) and if he´s the guy they want, good for them.

But as a Dortmund Fan i´m not loosing sleep over it.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 08-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #145
bhlloy
Coordinator

First championship game Cardiff vs Huddersfield starts in an hour or so. Bring on another soul crushing season

Has anyone else seen the new channel BeIN Sport that has replaced GolTV on Direct TV? Got a text about it this morning, looking at the website seems like they are planning on showing a bunch of French, Spanish and Italian games this season
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #146
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Money. No one is going to pay a premium price for a player while he is demanding a move.

I understand that. Just interesting to see a club like Fulham playing this game of chicken.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #147
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Has anyone else seen the new channel BeIN Sport that has replaced GolTV on Direct TV? Got a text about it this morning, looking at the website seems like they are planning on showing a bunch of French, Spanish and Italian games this season

Hopefully Time Warner adds this channel soon.

In addition to La Liga + Copa del Ray, Lique 1, and Serie A they will also have the English League Cup, English Championship, South American World Cup qualifiers, and various friendlies.

Now GolTV only has the Bundesliga and some Latin American leagues. GolTV also lost the Europa League to Fox Soccer.

Basically I need channels from five different companies (ESPN, Fox, NBC, beIN Sport, GolTV) to get all the games now. It's kind of a mess.

Last edited by Big Fo : 08-17-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #148
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I understand that. Just interesting to see a club like Fulham playing this game of chicken.

without knowing much of the details, but while Al Fayed certainly doesn´t seem to have ambition to spent like crazy i doubt he´ll pressure the management to sell him at just any price either.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #149
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

Rooney won't play up front in his usual role imho - I expect him to be played either very deep as a supporting player (with RVP scoring) or in midfield (when required) ... in that manner I think the team will excel .....

The big question for me isn't RVP fitting it, its staying fit which is the big question.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #150
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Rooney won't play up front in his usual role imho - I expect him to be played either very deep as a supporting player (with RVP scoring) or in midfield (when required) ... in that manner I think the team will excel .....

The big question for me isn't RVP fitting it, its staying fit which is the big question.

Part of the problem is that I'm also trying to fit Kagawa in and he doesn't fit a traditional 4-4-2 so well. Plus I always seem to go back to 4-4-2 or 4-4-2 with advanced wingers and I'm trying to get away from that. And Valencia always does great for me on FM so it wouldn't do to play a more narrow kind of formation.

Half the time I've played Rooney on the left of a 4-2-3-1. I also tried a 4-4-2 diamond (DMC playmaker, wide mids, Kagawa in the AMC role) but that will only work at home or against significantly less talented teams since it leaves so much space when I don't have the ball.

I've always kind of wondered how Rooney retrained as a midfielder might do on the game, his positioning and tackling aren't too bad. And he definitely has great stamina and a lot of the mental stats you'd like in a midfielder. Maybe I'll mess around with that a bit.