Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #101
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Two reactions I had to this: WTF?!! and LMAO!!

My friend (a massive liberal) texted me and said if disliking Bush is the only qualification to get a Nobel Peace Prize, maybe I should nominate myself next time.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #102
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This is like Gladiator and Crash both winning best picture Oscars.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #103
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
This is like Gladiator ... winning best picture Oscars.

Oh... now you've done it...
Old 10-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #104
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Or Braveheart.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #105
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

stevew is crushing this thread.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #106
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolson View Post
Obama has had to deal with more crap in his first 9 months in office than MANY of the other presidents. Based on politics today, I can't believe anyone really thought he would be able to turn things around in that short of a period. It's gonna take some time to right that ship. To me, him winning this award shows the impart he is having on the international community with regard to our standing in it. Instead of bitching about it, I see it as a positive for ALL of us in that aspect. We should be proud that a US president is obtaining this level of respect !

Well said.

I am not sure if the award is really warranted, but the situation in this coutnry that Obama inherited was pretty awful. Some of it was beyond anyone's control and some of it was due to the horrible leadership this country suffered through the previous 8 years. I haven't been blown away by Obama and haven't agreed with a lot of things he's said and done, but it's still very early yet.

I do find the quotes from the DNC official to be incredibly embarassing. It's taken directly from the Conservative Party/Republican 101 Post-9/11 Handbook. It's pathetic when you have to stoop that level.

In any event, I have never really paid any attention to who won the Nobel Peace Prize before and will continue to do so.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-09-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #107
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Sorry, I guess I missed the subtle nuance obviously in play about being happy that the US missed out on something that would reflect well upon the country was the same as mocking an award that reflects well upon the country.

If anybody's exhibiting butthurt in this thread, it's people like you who get upset when folks like me don't tow the emotional party line.

Sorry I wasn't heartbroken when Chicago didn't get the Olympics. That doesn't mean I won't be cheering on Team USA when they compete in Rio. Similarly, if Obama turns into a kick ass foreign policy president and wins a second Nobel Peace Prize at the end of his presidency (or afterwards), I'll be happy for him.

But I'm not going to cry crocodile tears over Chicago not getting the Olympics, when I would have been watching them on TV either way. And I'm not going to say "Oh yay, Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize" anymore than I did when Jimmy Carter won.

Again, I'm not upset or angry or anything other than amused. Increasingly, I'm more amused by the reactions of people like JPhillips and yourself than I am by the actual NPP.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #108
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Obama has had to deal with more crap in his first 9 months in office than MANY of the other presidents. Based on politics today, I can't believe anyone really thought he would be able to turn things around in that short of a period. It's gonna take some time to right that ship. To me, him winning this award shows the impart he is having on the international community with regard to our standing in it. Instead of bitching about it, I see it as a positive for ALL of us in that aspect. We should be proud that a US president is obtaining this level of respect !

So, what has Obama done since taking the reins? How long a grace period does he have before its reasonable to expect results?

Even with the health care debate he has been entirely too passive.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #109
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Wait, you mean we have to vote again in November? Fuck! I'm assuming that Presidential terms are only 1 year now, because that's the only way it makes sense to criticize him for "unfulfilled campaign rhetoric" 8 months into his presidency.

I believe the criticism was directed at the Nobel Committee for giving the award to someone based on unfilled campaign rhetoric, rather than at Obama himself for not stopping the oceans from rising in his first 8 months in office.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #110
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Or Braveheart.

Ok, NOW you have just gone over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #111
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
So, what has Obama done since taking the reins? How long a grace period does he have before its reasonable to expect results?

Honestly if Obama just threw all the financial crooks in jail, i'd vote for him in 2012, and I despise his politics.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #112
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I liked Gladiator
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #113
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Wow. Lotta "butt hurt" out there. And damn the Associated Press and their conservative bias.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #114
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
If anybody's exhibiting butthurt in this thread, it's people like you who get upset when folks like me don't tow the emotional party line.

Sorry I wasn't heartbroken when Chicago didn't get the Olympics. That doesn't mean I won't be cheering on Team USA when they compete in Rio. Similarly, if Obama turns into a kick ass foreign policy president and wins a second Nobel Peace Prize at the end of his presidency (or afterwards), I'll be happy for him.

But I'm not going to cry crocodile tears over Chicago not getting the Olympics, when I would have been watching them on TV either way. And I'm not going to say "Oh yay, Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize" anymore than I did when Jimmy Carter won.

Again, I'm not upset or angry or anything other than amused. Increasingly, I'm more amused by the reactions of people like JPhillips and yourself than I am by the actual NPP.

If that is how you felt, then why did you think my posts were directed at you? My posts didn't describe your reactions as you put them. In any event, where did you get the impression I was upset? I haven't posted my reaction one way or the other, I merely was observing what I saw as an interesting response between two world events.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 10-09-2009 at 11:59 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #115
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
If that is how you felt, then why did you think my posts were directed at you? My posts didn't describe your reactions as you put them. In any event, where did you get the impression I was upset? I haven't posted my reaction one way or the other, I merely was observing what I saw as an interesting response between two world events.

Ah. Remarking on "conservative butt hurt" in this thread has now become "observing an interesting response between two world events."

Don't tell me words don't matter!

And as one of the more vocal conservatives in this thread (and certainly well in line with what other conservatives were saying), why wouldn't I think I was included in your generalized statement? Perhaps next time, when accusing posters of "butt hurt", you could just call them out by name?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #116
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Honestly if Obama just threw all the financial crooks in jail, i'd vote for him in 2012, and I despise his politics.

I think that ship sailed with the General Motors fiasco.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #117
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Ah. Remarking on "conservative butt hurt" in this thread has now become "observing an interesting response between two world events."

Don't tell me words don't matter!

And as one of the more vocal conservatives in this thread (and certainly well in line with what other conservatives were saying), why wouldn't I think I was included in your generalized statement? Perhaps next time, when accusing posters of "butt hurt", you could just call them out by name?

Well, I guess you stopped reading at "conservative", and didn't catch the further "words that mattered" that described the scenario I saw as butt hurt.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #118
Swaggs
Coordinator

Two more thoughts --

1.) I bet NASA is glad that this announcement happened today. Now it won't be at the forefront of the news or be the lead story on the nightly talk shows.

2.) Like any political gold (for both ends of the political spectrum), I'm guessing the GOP and right-leaning media are going to overmilk this cow and end up making themselves look like as big of a joke as this whole situation. Polticians and the media cannot seem to help themselves -- they are unable to sit back, laugh, and enjoy a gift when it is delivered to their front door.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #119
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Well, I guess you stopped reading at "conservative", and didn't catch the further "words that mattered" that described the scenario I saw as butt hurt.

Well, considering I don't see any conservative butt hurt in this thread (hell, even JiMG was giggling), I did assume that your characterization of "gloating over Chicago not getting the Olympics" applied to pretty much every conservative in the this thread who didn't express sorrow over Rio beating Chicago.

Again, all of this could be cleared up if you'd just call out the butt-hurters (hurt-butts?) by name, instead of making over generalized remarks about "conservatives".
Old 10-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #120
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Two more thoughts --

2.) Like any political gold (for both ends of the political spectrum), I'm guessing the GOP and right-leaning media are going to overmilk this cow and end up making themselves look like as big of a joke as this whole situation. Polticians and the media cannot seem to help themselves -- they are unable to sit back, laugh, and enjoy a gift when it is delivered to their front door.

You're probably right. I'm sure someone has already started a "Palin for Peace Prize '10" facebook group... or will soon.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #121
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
I did assume that your characterization of "gloating over Chicago not getting the Olympics" applied to pretty much every conservative in the this thread who didn't express sorrow over Rio beating Chicago.

Well, I assume then that your definition of gloating is much different than mine, if that is how you interpreted it.

In my book, sorrow was the reaction of the Mizzou players on the sideline of last night's game. Gloating was the reaction of many posters (myself included) to MBBF's postings in the College Football Week 6 thread.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #122
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

Are you implying that he is sitting on his ass not working toward solving the US problems ? He's not trying to put forth his initiatives despite all the wonderful help he's getting from the egg-heads in congress ? To me, his first 9 months are no different than any other president coming into office for the first time. His grade at this point is INCOMPLETE, just like the grade for most 1st term presidents in the first year of action.

In fact, the obstacles put in front of him are substantially greater than any other president in history. His every move is treated with the utmost scrutiny possible. Picks a private school for his kids, everyone is up in arms. Wife hires the same number of staffers as every other first lady, she's going overboard. Some of the silliest crap you can imagine. He's been stereotyped as negatively as possible. Everything about this man and his family is looked at in the finest of microscopes just waiting to pounce on the smallest issue.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #123
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I'm guessing by the fact that you didn't answer my pretty straightforward questions he hasn't done much of anything. What you see as my implications are coming from your own head. I voted for Obama, by the way.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #124
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Everything about this man and his family is looked at in the finest of microscopes just waiting to pounce on the smallest issue.

How is this different than any other president?

Quote:
Old 10-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #125
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
In fact, the obstacles put in front of him are substantially greater than any other president in history.

Also, this line is at best debatable.

FWIW I'm not giving him an F, I agree he's got an INC as well, but to continue this analogy his quarter-term progress report to his parents is marked "needs improvement."
Old 10-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #126
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Are you implying that he is sitting on his ass not working toward solving the US problems ? He's not trying to put forth his initiatives despite all the wonderful help he's getting from the egg-heads in congress ? To me, his first 9 months are no different than any other president coming into office for the first time. His grade at this point is INCOMPLETE, just like the grade for most 1st term presidents in the first year of action.

In fact, the obstacles put in front of him are substantially greater than any other president in history. His every move is treated with the utmost scrutiny possible. Picks a private school for his kids, everyone is up in arms. Wife hires the same number of staffers as every other first lady, she's going overboard. Some of the silliest crap you can imagine. He's been stereotyped as negatively as possible. Everything about this man and his family is looked at in the finest of microscopes just waiting to pounce on the smallest issue.

The INCOMPLETE is why he doesn't deserve any prizes yet. Just because you were presented with obstacles or problems doesn't mean you deserve an award. That's where your argument fails utterly.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #127
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
And Obama is not even comparable to the Nazi's anyways. The Nazi's got the olympics.

OK, I LOLed.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #128
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Two reactions I had to this: WTF?!! and LMAO!!

My friend (a massive liberal) texted me and said if disliking Bush is the only qualification to get a Nobel Peace Prize, maybe I should nominate myself next time.

I do believe anyone can nominate anyone for the prize, if I remember correctly.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #129
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

*Repealed the Bush stem cell policy.

*Eased requirement for filing employment discrimination lawsuits (Lily Ledbetter Act).

*Appointed first Hispanic to the Supreme Court.

*Stimulus - American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009

*Auto bailout/Cash for Clunkers.

*Renewed and expanded SCHIP

*Increased environmental regulations on power plants, oil refineries, etc.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #130
Flasch186
Coordinator

Im Jewish.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #131
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Well, I assume then that your definition of gloating is much different than mine, if that is how you interpreted it.

In my book, sorrow was the reaction of the Mizzou players on the sideline of last night's game. Gloating was the reaction of many posters (myself included) to MBBF's postings in the College Football Week 6 thread.

Well, us conservatives is stupid sometimes, which is why it would just be easier for you to call out the people who were acting all butt-hurt by name.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #132
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Im Jewish.

But are you president?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #133
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
*Repealed the Bush stem cell policy.

*Eased requirement for filing employment discrimination lawsuits (Lily Ledbetter Act).

*Appointed first Hispanic to the Supreme Court.

*Stimulus - American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009

*Auto bailout/Cash for Clunkers.

*Renewed and expanded SCHIP

*Increased environmental regulations on power plants, oil refineries, etc.

These "results" are debatable in their usefulness and there are a lot of long term effects from some of them that won't be truly recognized for many years.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #134
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

larry, I started to type up a point by point response but I don't really have the time to get into it. I think that if you could show those as Obama's accomplishments (many of which are debatable, especially since the stem cell move was neutered by his signing the Omnibus) to voters in October, a LOT of people who voted for him would be pretty upset. He doesn't seem to have any kind of cohesive policy or plan and is FAR too reactive. I know I didn't vote for that list of accomplishments.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #135
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
larry, I started to type up a point by point response but I don't really have the time to get into it. I think that if you could show those as Obama's accomplishments (many of which are debatable, especially since the stem cell move was neutered by his signing the Omnibus) to voters in October, a LOT of people who voted for him would be pretty upset. He doesn't seem to have any kind of cohesive policy or plan and is FAR too reactive. I know I didn't vote for that list of accomplishments.

What did you vote for? What do you reasonably think he could have accomplished in 8 months? I mean, alot of that is pretty significant.

And that's not a whole list, just some stuff I threw together. I mean, people are acting like he hasn't done anything, which is just a ridiculous argument.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #136
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
The INCOMPLETE is why he doesn't deserve any prizes yet. Just because you were presented with obstacles or problems doesn't mean you deserve an award. That's where your argument fails utterly.

I never argued that he deserved the award. I just stated that as a country we should be proud of his standing internationally.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #137
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Also, this line is at best debatable.

FWIW I'm not giving him an F, I agree he's got an INC as well, but to continue this analogy his quarter-term progress report to his parents is marked "needs improvement."

There first black president of the US is undoubtedly going to face obsticles that no other president has had to face ! I would love to think that we are past racism but we are not. Can you honestly say that the public (negative side that is) has treated other past president that they disapprove of the way he has been treated.

Now the "needs improvement" part I got a real big LOL. I agree.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #138
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
What did you vote for? What do you reasonably think he could have accomplished in 8 months? I mean, alot of that is pretty significant.

And that's not a whole list, just some stuff I threw together. I mean, people are acting like he hasn't done anything, which is just a ridiculous argument.

I voted for a cohesive plan to end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and I see little evidence of that.

I voted for leadership when it comes to gay rights, and I see little evidence of that.

I voted for an end to torture, rendition, and the Gitmo mess, and I see little evidence of that.

My biggest complaint is that I haven't seen much actual leadership from the White House at all. What has Obama picked up and effectively carried through the legislative process? A lot of the things you mentioned in your post were done in his first month in office, so why is it unreasonable to expect him to have done something in the seven months since? I don't necessarily agree with his health plan but even in that he's been more than happy to relinquish the initiative to Reid, Pelosi and the Republicans.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 10-09-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #139
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
These "results" are debatable in their usefulness and there are a lot of long term effects from some of them that won't be truly recognized for many years.

This is exactly why I didn't go throught the effort of listing achievements. He doesn't have a home run hitter therefor anything he has done is negated. Just not worth the effort of typing.

Maybe someone can answer this for me:

Given the political climate (from both parties) what did you really expect for him to accomplish in 9 months (as a home run hitter type accomplishment) ?
Old 10-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #140
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Can you honestly say that the public (negative side that is) has treated other past president that they disapprove of the way he has been treated.

The last one was treated worse. The one before that was treated about as bad. The one before that was treated better. The one before that is a little trickier - certainly a smaller, more irrelevant amount of dissaproval, but it was pretty nasty at times .
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #141
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I would say Lincoln was treated pretty poorly.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #142
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
...The one before that is a little trickier - certainly a smaller, more irrelevant amount of dissaproval, but it was pretty nasty at times .

He still gets it too, even after death.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #143
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
It's because Nakobov always falls apart in the playoffs.

Don't worry Pumpy, I thought this was funny.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #144
gkb
High School Varsity

Quote:
stevew is crushing this thread.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #145
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Depending upon the context you are referring to, I would agree and add that JFK had it pretty rough too, especially at the end.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #146
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Depending upon the context you are referring to, I would agree and add that JFK had it pretty rough too, especially at the end.

No, I was more referring to the climate Lincoln faced in 1860, though it wasn't dissimilar to what ended up happening.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #147
Daimyo
College Starter

Give an example of a president who accomplished a lot in their first 9 months. What did they accomplish?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #148
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm still pretty upset that he didn't end slavery in 8 months.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #149
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Give an example of a president who accomplished a lot in their first 9 months. What did they accomplish?

I certainly can't think of one that promised more than Obama.

He gets four years like everyone else, but there's no way he can deliver all his promises. Certainly not after blowing the first 9 months.

If I'm wrong, I'll definitely vote for him in 2012. Because he basically promised he'll be the best president in history.

Last edited by molson : 10-09-2009 at 02:28 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #150
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And just wait til they find out he bombed the moon this morning, boy will they look silly then.

Come on Jon, the moon was fucking asking for it.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote