Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #101
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I've always found terms like "reverse racism" interesting. Like it is some sort of less-harmful justified version of racism. Racism is racism. It is bad no matter which direction it goes.

If there was a communication-based board game that was like CandyLand, you'd be stuck in the Semantics Swamp.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #102
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Nevermind, not worth it.

Last edited by BrianD : 04-12-2007 at 02:15 PM.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:19 PM   #103
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Nevermind, not worth it.

Oh man...un edit that..please....I'll send you $5
Old 04-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #104
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I've always found terms like "reverse racism" interesting. Like it is some sort of less-harmful justified version of racism. Racism is racism. It is bad no matter which direction it goes.

I take it as if to mean that racism is only right when its directed at one group. I think there is a belief by some -- certainly in academia, but in general too -- that subjugated groups can't be racist because they don't control the power structure.

Whether that's true or not, isn't really important. But it's a theory nonetheless.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #105
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I take it as if to mean that racism is only right when its directed at one group. I think there is a belief by some -- certainly in academia, but in general too -- that subjugated groups can't be racist because they don't control the power structure.

Whether that's true or not, isn't really important. But it's a theory nonetheless.

I have come across people who believe that theory. I think its a category mistake, myself. Its like saying 6 can't be greater than 5 because 5 is prime and six isn't.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #106
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Fired.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #107
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

That suprises me. How were his ratings? Maybe this was an excuse to get rid of a guy who wasn't really justifying what (I can only assume) was a pretty hefty salary based on his stature.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #108
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Honestly, I hope that's the real reason.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:18 PM   #109
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow. That's crazy.

After seeing his face plastered everywhere these last few days, he really is an unattractive person. Definitely a face for radio.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:20 PM   #110
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
That suprises me. How were his ratings? Maybe this was an excuse to get rid of a guy who wasn't really justifying what (I can only assume) was a pretty hefty salary based on his stature.

Mixed on his recent ratings as far as I can tell. The TV show was up 25% over last year, making it one of the networks most watched shows.

His radio stuff was more mixed, although I don't think they were as bad as they were in NYC in '05 when he had dropped to 17th in the mornings & lost about a quarter of his audience from the year before. Different markets had different results, but overall the show had limited impact nationally since he really only had notable affiliates in a few large markets (NYC, Boston, & DC) and in most of the rest of his 60 or so markets he was on low-rated and/or rimshot signals that really weren't competitive
Old 04-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #111
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Nevermind, not worth it.

No it is not, Kalifornia is a grade A troll.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #112
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #113
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
No it is not, Kalifornia is a grade A troll.

I'm a troll because I don't like you? Sorry, dude. That's not the way it works.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #114
Klinglerware
College Starter

So, could two sports-themed morning shows work in the NYC radio market? I remember "sports guys" from the WNEW talk days which wasn't half bad, if not for the constant turnover of talent.

Wonder how this affects WFAN.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #115
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: impact on WFAN -- probably means at least short-term loss of revenue because of the traditional advertisers that were loyal to the program. Likewise I expect lower ratings at least in that daypart as they'll either have to build from scratch or timeshift an existing show which usually takes time to lock in an audience. Mostly, this doesn't look like anything but bad news for them for at least a quarter, although they'll get at least short-term recovery in ratings because of sampling for whatever eventually lands in the slot.

re: ratings -- one more thing on that, here's the Talkers magazine estimates for various hosts.
http://www.talkers.com/main/index.ph...d=17&Itemid=34
It had Imus estatimed as about the 20th most-listened to host in the country, about the same as Dr. Joy Browne, Jim Rome, and Kim Kommando. Fair warning, their estimates are fairly frequently discounted as being off the mark, but I doubt they're missing his echelon by more than one grouping plus or minus.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #116
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

All this means to me is now there is spot open for CT to go full time.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #117
RendeR
Coordinator

THank god they fired that older than dirt lackwit. The man has about as much common sense as a flea chasing a dog. I'm really stunned at how many of you are defending him in any way. You don't go on live Nationally syndicated radio and throw around racist sexit stupidity like that, no matter what reason.

I'm thrilled they fired this loser. he never had much worth listening to to say anyway.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #118
Desmond
Banned

I could give 2 shits about Dom Imus, but ya know what? It was a joke.

Every fucking channel on TV is talking about the hatred, the vileness, the derogatory words spewed. But really, it wasn't that, it was a joke.

I'm sure Imus has said equally nasty things about Bill Clinton, George Bush and any number of politcal, entertainment and sports figures, and those were jokes too.

Everytime I see Sharpton on tv I see the interviewer asking him why he hasn't or doesn't go to this level against rappers, and the thing I keep thinking is, why doesn't CNN, MSNBC or FOX give this kind of coverage to every effin rap album that has bigoted or sexist lyrics, every music video that portrays women as whores and caters to little girls, every everything that pop culture has become.

So now this either goes away leaving Imus as a perceived scapegoat or the crackdown gets more inane. This country, this fuckin country.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #119
RendeR
Coordinator

You obviously don't get the fact that to those he spoke about it wasn't fucking FUNNY. It was crude and disgusting.

If my daughter was playing on a team and he called the girls she played with white trash blonde bimbettes I'd be JUST as pissed off. It doesn't matter his intent, what he said was ethically deplorable and he deserves every word and action he's recieved if for no other reason than being ignorant and stupid enough to say them on LIVE RADIO.

Good riddence to bad rubbish.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #120
Easy Mac

But if he or any black host spoke derogatory of white players, they'd still have a job.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #121
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I think the difference between the rappers and Imus is that rappers are either referencing nobody in particular, or one of countless groupies that waits backstage all night to give a roadie a blowjob. Imus was referring to college athletes that didn't warrant that kind of spiel.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #122
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I think the difference between the rappers and Imus is that rappers are either referencing nobody in particular, or one of countless groupies that waits backstage all night to give a roadie a blowjob. Imus was referring to college athletes that didn't warrant that kind of spiel.

Everybody deserves mocking.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #123
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Everybody deserves mocking.

Yes, but especially the poor, who turn to vices to take away the pain of their miserable existence.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #124
Desmond
Banned

It might not have been funny to you, but you arn't the arbitor of humor. It may have been a bad joke, an unfunny joke, but it was a joke.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #125
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Imus was referring to college athletes that didn't warrant that kind of spiel.

Just out of curiosity, did you watch the game and/or look at the game pictures I mentioned earlier?
Old 04-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #126
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
But if he or any black host spoke derogatory of white players, they'd still have a job.

That's because white=evil. Haven't you been paying attention at all?

Sadly, the best line in the whole segment was lost amid the invented controversy -- the resemblence to some NBA teams was a funny observation.
And not entirely inaccurate.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #127
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

btw, I wasn't offended by Imus' comments, and I really don't care whether or not he got fired. It's just that you can't say shit like that and not expect backlash. I would have actually had more respect for Imus if, instead of cowering and begging for forgiveness, he had just said..."hey, that's part of what you get when you listen to my show...if you don't like it, too bad..boycott and try to get me fired.....I am who I am..and you all can't take a joke"

edit: grammar

Last edited by Karlifornia : 04-12-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:52 PM   #128
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you watch the game and/or look at the game pictures I mentioned earlier?

No, I haven't....I'll go find them...
Old 04-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #129
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, I haven't....I'll go find them...

I would provide linkage but I couldn't figure out how to do it. There are some on both team websites but they're in scripted photo galleries & trying to link them just produced some java commands.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-12-2007 at 07:58 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #130
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
All this means to me is now there is spot open for CT to go full time.

Heh. Im upset with the way CBS handled this personally... to me it shows me they didn't learn a single lesson from having to deal with Opie & Anthony 4 years back.

But on the other hand im like "hey, a bunch of stations now need to fill some space out there!" any more jobs in the world of talk can only have a positive trickle-down effect for those of us trying to get onto the bottom rung.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:00 PM   #131
molson
General Manager

So now that Imus is gone, do we all like black people more? Was that the goal here?

Nappy headed ho's. That's what this is all about. It's mind-boggling.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:00 PM   #132
Desmond
Banned

Quote:
btw, I wasn't offended by Imus' comments, and I really don't care whether or not he got fired. It's just that you can't say shit like that and not expect backlash. I would have actually had more respect for Imus if, instead of cowering and begging for forgiveness, he had just said..."hey, that's part of what you get when you listen to my show...if you don't like it, too bad..boycott and try to get me fired.....I am who I am..and you all can't take a joke"

edit: grammar

I couldn't agree more. As Stern said, he appologized like a guy who just got his first job on radio.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #133
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

Not if I had any say in it they wouldn't. Shit like this guy spewed just keeps the whole nasty topic going, he did more ill with one thoughtless ignorant joke than a ton of others could have because of his job.

He deserves what he got.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:12 PM   #134
Desmond
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Not if I had any say in it they wouldn't. Shit like this guy spewed just keeps the whole nasty topic going, he did more ill with one thoughtless ignorant joke than a ton of others could have because of his job.

He deserves what he got.

What are you talking about? I GUARANTEE you that he's said meaner or as mean things hundreds upon hundreds of times about blacks, jews, whities, women, fatties, cripples, gays etc. etc. etc.

He didn't keep this going, the media did. For whatever reason, now is the time that they decided to make this a story, and make no mistake about it, THEY made this a story, he furthered it by buying into it and going on the appology tour.

It's so inanely abritrary that I can't really wrap my head around how the media works or what the backroom decisions are that make this a "news" story.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #135
LloydLungs
College Prospect

The real losers? The Tennessee Lady Vols. Probably 99% of the country now thinks Rutgers won the title. Well, Pat has had enough championships anyway.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #136
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
The real losers? The Tennessee Lady Vols. Probably 99% of the country now thinks Rutgers won the title. Well, Pat has had enough championships anyway.

Pretty true. I'm a Rutgers alumnus and I'm tired of hearing the "he stole our moment from us"... it's the exact opposite. Great publicity for the school.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:40 PM   #137
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
What are you talking about? I GUARANTEE you that he's said meaner or as mean things hundreds upon hundreds of times about blacks, jews, whities, women, fatties, cripples, gays etc. etc. etc.

He didn't keep this going, the media did. For whatever reason, now is the time that they decided to make this a story, and make no mistake about it, THEY made this a story, he furthered it by buying into it and going on the appology tour.

It's so inanely abritrary that I can't really wrap my head around how the media works or what the backroom decisions are that make this a "news" story.

And if I were referring to this media frezy your comment would actually have some relavence.

The "whole nasty topic" I referred to was intolerance, bigotry and racism. Unfortunately I wasn't plain enough to be understood.

The fact is no matter how "thick skinned" society becomes there is no place on the airwaves for this type of ignorant blathering. If he wants to talk like that in his backyard or while having beers with his cronies, no problem, but doing so on live radio crosses the line. He knows better because of the fact that he's made assinine comments before and gotten backlash. Too bad for poor imus that he finally pissed off enough people to destroy what was left of his pathetic career.

No sympathy.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #138
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Too bad for poor imus that he finally pissed off a few people whose primary claim to fame at the moment is being able to get the ear of a handful of half-witted cowards.

Fixed that bullshit for you.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #139
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I like to consider this a lifetime achievement banning.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:44 PM   #140
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
So now that Imus is gone, do we all like black people more? Was that the goal here?

Nappy headed ho's. That's what this is all about. It's mind-boggling.

The goal apears to be the setting of an example that intolerance on the airwaves will not be accepted, period.

Perhaps future "shock shits" will think twice before spouting stupidity. There really is no place for such drivel.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #141
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Pretty true. I'm a Rutgers alumnus and I'm tired of hearing the "he stole our moment from us"... it's the exact opposite. Great publicity for the school.

I don't know, it's also going to make them a lightning rod from this point forward, or at least this particular team. Any misstep in the future & they'll get zero benefit of the doubt.

And frankly, at this point, I think Stringer getting axed for something petty would be rather poetic justice.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #142
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't know, it's also going to make them a lightning rod from this point forward, or at least this particular team. Any misstep in the future & they'll get zero benefit of the doubt.

And frankly, at this point, I think Stringer getting axed for something petty would be rather poetic justice.

Jon, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Stringer is esentially the face of the team, and when your team gets cut down in the way that Imus did, you have to step up and say something on the behalf of your team. It would be like someone calling a men's team a "bunch of fags" because they have coiffed hair.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #143
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Fixed that bullshit for you.

Love to see some facts to back that up. Who? Why? I think people get far more upset that anyone is pissed off about this instead of taking a realistic listen to what was said. It doesn't matter what he MEANT, he said something rediculously stupid and unnacceptable. period.

Fact: He spouted bigotry over national broadcast radio.
Fact: He got fired for it.
Fact: It was the right decision regardless of whatever conspiracy theory you're dreaming up.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #144
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Jon, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Stringer is esentially the face of the team, and when your team gets cut down in the way that Imus did, you have to step up and say something on the behalf of your team. It would be like someone calling a men's team a "bunch of fags" because they have coiffed hair.

Which is close to an Imus comment from the past that passed with hardly a blink

(I haven't found the exact quote today but saw it yesterday, something to do with the likely sexual orientation of women soccer players that included a word that also describes a male cow and a homonym for those things the Dutch are renowned for using to hold back water).
Old 04-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #145
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I think people get far more upset that anyone is pissed off about this instead of taking a realistic listen to what was said.

I've listened to it, I've heard the context around it, I fail to see why it's a big deal. "Nappy headed ho's". The joke was that the Tennessee basketball team was hot, and that Rutgers were ghetto. We hear similar jokes during the NCAA tournament when Princeton plays Ohio State (or whatever).
Old 04-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #146
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Which is close to an Imus comment from the past that passed with hardly a blink

(I haven't found the exact quote today but saw it yesterday, something to do with the likely sexual orientation of women soccer players that included a word that also describes a male cow and a homonym for those things the Dutch are renowned for using to hold back water).

I think you are allowed to quote his crap without us jumping on you.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #147
molson
General Manager

So has "nappy headed" reached the level of the n-word yet? I think it has. Now that some black comedians have sworn off the latter term, perhaps they needed a new one.

Last edited by molson : 04-12-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #148
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Love to see some facts to back that up. Who? Why? I think people get far more upset that anyone is pissed off about this instead of taking a realistic listen to what was said. It doesn't matter what he MEANT, he said something rediculously stupid and unnacceptable. period.

Fact: He spouted bigotry over national broadcast radio.
Fact: He got fired for it.
Fact: It was the right decision regardless of whatever conspiracy theory you're dreaming up.

Are you off your meds again?

He made a comment about the appearance of some people he saw on TV, something no more than derogatory than comments that are made frequently about other public figures (see Spears, Brittney or Simpson, Jessica).

Unfortunately for him, the comments were made about some girls who happened to be black instead of white. And unfortunately trash like Al Sharpton couldn't resist taking advantage of the opportunity to take down someone who has been more successful & more respected than he'll ever be.
Even more unfortunately, some positions of power are held by people who don't have the intestinal fortitude to tell whiny ass bitches like Sharpton to go screw himself. And lacking that, there was no shortage of people who decided to take advantage of the chance to get a few minutes of attention for themselves along the way.

THOSE are the fucking "facts" of this case. And no amount of half-lucid ranting on your part changes one damned bit of it.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #149
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think you are allowed to quote his crap without us jumping on you.

Why take chances?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #150
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I've listened to it, I've heard the context around it, I fail to see why it's a big deal. "Nappy headed ho's". The joke was that the Tennessee basketball team was hot, and that Rutgers were ghetto. We hear similar jokes during the NCAA tournament when Princeton plays Ohio State (or whatever).

You fail to see...hence the disagreement. Some things just aren't acceptable in this society, this kind of "joke" is one of them. When and If you "see" that fact you'll understand.