Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Why are you posting/participating less at FOFC?
BEN!!!111 OMGWTFROFLHOUSE!!!111 4 5.41%
Because _____ left the board. 4 5.41%
Because none of these dolts can solve the puzzles I post. 2 2.70%
I'm a man. I'm 40. (Life happens and I have less time for this.) 52 70.27%
Optical Illusion. There are just as many posts, but they're in the massive mega-threads. And the dress is blue. 8 10.81%
All of the above. 6 8.11%
You're wrong...the reason is... 6 8.11%
Anaheim Angels #27 5 6.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #101
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Merged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
It is a fact that FOFC activity is down dramatically from what it once was.
Incorrect. Off Topic activity is down. Overall activity is at a several-year high. See numbers above.

Quote:
4) Steam release is great to see but won't really increase activity here as Steam has its own forum for the game.
Also incorrect. The last three-ish months represent a spike in new members that has never been rivaled apart from a new game release, trumped the FOF7 release, and came very close to the FOF2K4 and FOF2K7 releases. However, as stated above, the new members mostly aren't posting in Off Topic. I don't have firm metrics to tell me whether they're reading and just not replying, or if they're never even clicking on it. My *guess* is that for most of them it's the latter, though. As I mentioned above...
Quote:
That's most likely due to the fact that it's 2015, and therefore by now it's very likely that virtually all of the new members already have internet forums where they talk about the same stuff that's in OT.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #102
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Maybe it's just me, but I'm actually seeing this communication shift at every single online community I visit, rather than just at FOFC. Folks I use to communicate with pretty religiously via long email threads have all tapered off, universal facebook activity seems to have faded after initial flurries, and a handful of the other forums I visit have atrophied in ways & times that mirrored the decline in FOFC activity. All that aside, it certainly doesn't mean some gentle, direct prodding isn't helpful in figuring out the cause and/or increasing activity.

I think that internet communication has evolved over the past couple years, but not necessarily in a good way, and it has stifled communication while claiming to do the exact opposite.
  • The collective voice of the internet defaults to that of an overly-corrective, instantly offended, narcissistic, sexist, racist teenager, and it can be tiring to fight your way through the chuff every time you want to communicate.
  • Whether through social media or use of your phone as a primary communication device, short form communication disseminated to as many shallow acquaintances as possible has become the preferable mode of communication, and long form, personal communication is almost discouraged.
  • For seemingly the first time in the history of civilization there are "wrong"/unpopular/out-of-fashion ways to communicate, and it can be exhausting to try and keep up with how you're "supposed" to be communicating.
  • Being a kind, considerate person on the internet is rough, tiring work that eventually seems to wear on all of the best posters, and isn't all that rewarding. Being a troll, or even just a slightly contentious doofus, on the internet is instantly rewarding and invigorating.
  • In long-standing internet communities, it's the crap that seems to rise to the top. Unique/friendly/oddball individuals are just naturally grow tired of being questioned/criticized all the time, whereas longtime trolls are always rewarded with conflict anytime they want it.
  • The multitude of communication options have combined to dilute everyone's internet attention span and reduce how often they communicate. We're seemingly all on the internet more, taking in more pieces of information, but releasing less...or at least letting out less quality.
Throw all those things together, and I think lots of folk have gone from heavy internet users/posters to more of casual voyeurs. It can be relatively tiring and painful to interact on the internet these days, and I think a lot of folks have tired of it, either through subconscious fatigue or through careful consideration, or somewhere in between.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-25-2015 at 02:12 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:39 AM   #103
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
8) Everyone around here is so old that we make (and understand) Bobby Ewing jokes, thus preventing anyone under 35 from ever wanting to hang out with us

...and Patrick Ewing jokes...
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #104
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I left once I realized that myself and several other users had been given the "Miserable User" plugin by a mod. Made me consider myself unwanted in the community.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:33 AM   #105
Kodos
Resident Alien

?
Old 05-26-2015, 08:33 AM   #106
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I left once I realized that myself and several other users had been given the "Miserable User" plugin by a mod. Made me consider myself unwanted in the community.

Seriously? That's some weak sauce if the mods did that.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #107
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Haha. Just googled it. Did not know this was a thing. Holy passive aggressive bitchiness batman. Ban someone or don't ban them, what is that garbage?

I assume you believe you were tagged with it after experiencing connection issues?

Last edited by jeff061 : 05-26-2015 at 08:34 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #108
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...&highlight=ben

For me it happened maybe mid-2012. Had no idea what happened, so eventually just created the RD3 name. Then eventually happened to other people and I PMed Ryan S to try to fix DTs issue. This thread made me realize what had happened and really soured the place for me.

Funny enough I think it happened after I mentioned the fact that SkyDog deleted that "Hey CUM there's no crying in the SEC" thread.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 05-26-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:53 AM   #109
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Funny enough I think it happened after I mentioned the fact that SkyDog deleted that "Hey CUM there's no crying in the SEC" thread.

Huh. So that's why I couldn't find that thread.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:56 AM   #110
molson
General Manager

Quote:

That's hilarious but not surprising. I wonder how many other disfavored posters slowly just gave up on the place. I know Crimson Fox was randomly banned for 90 days without attacking anyone and a mod chimed in that he was "low quality poster" or something.

I can't imagine driving away so many posters was good for Jim's sales.

Last edited by molson : 05-26-2015 at 08:58 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #111
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I can't imagine driving away so many posters was good for Jim's sales.
IMAGINE IT.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #112
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Crazy, never heard of that before.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #113
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I thought it was proven that the FOBL killed FOFC?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #114
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sportdigs killed FOFC two weeks ago
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #115
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Combo of getting older, browsing/posting primarily from a phone (even this current post is more abbreviated than it would've been even 3 years ago), and the lack of fresh blood. I know more or less where Molson and JiMGA stand when a thread on something like Ferguson comes out, or where Kodos and Dutch stand in the global warming thread, so unless I'm bored or feeling a little antagonistic why engage them?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #116
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...&highlight=ben

For me it happened maybe mid-2012. Had no idea what happened, so eventually just created the RD3 name. Then eventually happened to other people and I PMed Ryan S to try to fix DTs issue. This thread made me realize what had happened and really soured the place for me.

Wow
Old 05-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #117
Logan
Head Coach

The mods must be slipping since I don't see "Miserable User" snuck into anyone's user title yet.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:06 PM   #118
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
I thought it was proven that the FOBL killed FOFC?

+1

Also, did Ryan confirm that Miserable User was even installed? This is a theory posited by RainMaker. RainMaker.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #119
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Incorrect. Off Topic activity is down. Overall activity is at a several-year high. See numbers above.

Also incorrect. The last three-ish months represent a spike in new members that has never been rivaled apart from a new game release, trumped the FOF7 release, and came very close to the FOF2K4 and FOF2K7 releases. However, as stated above, the new members mostly aren't posting in Off Topic. I don't have firm metrics to tell me whether they're reading and just not replying, or if they're never even clicking on it. My *guess* is that for most of them it's the latter, though. As I mentioned above...
2013 isn't going back far enough. If you're saying activity higher now than during 2005-2010 range, I'd be surprised. But the mass exodus seems to have taken place several years ago.

My posting and visiting has changed for a lot of reasons. Time is one. Lack of of interesting and engaging content is another. Some of that is driven by the fact that some of my favorite FOFC members are posting less or gone completely. There are probably a variety of reasons those things are true.

I think trolling is way down -- I think I only have one or two active trolls on my ignore list. That's a plus!
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:22 AM   #120
Edward64
Head Coach

Okay, now that we've discussed why posting is down ... how about suggestions to increase postings?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:26 AM   #121
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
This.

To try and *shurg* it off by saying "traffic is AWESOME on the other boards" and the OT must just be getting old and going elsewhere is laughably self-unaware and intentionally dishonest.

This used to be a place we all hung out because we all knew each other, we all liked each other (for the most part), we loved our community and we knew where our friends would be when we wanted to stop by for a chat, and argument, or a HoN.

But since a good number of posters have been forced out and made to feel unwelcome OT just hasn't been the great place to hang it used to be.

And that's due to deliberate actions by people in charge who have an agenda.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:33 AM   #122
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I think having issues when logged in and no issues after logging out, all within the same environment, is a pretty giant red flag.

Pretty bitch move honestly.

Last edited by jeff061 : 05-27-2015 at 08:34 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #123
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Pretty bitch move honestly.

Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:51 AM   #124
cmp
Pro Rookie

It's sad to see a community I've been a part of for 14 years fall, hopefully it can pick back up again but I doubt without some of the old timers it can happen.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #125
britrock88
Pro Starter

First half of 2013 is wild.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #126
Subby
lolzcat

The plugin definitely happened from the sound of it, but I don't think it was Ben - it's not his style, and frankly, he doesn't know who the fuck half of you are...no knock against you, but he rarely is in OT.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #127
Easy Mac

Looking through the member roles of posters with 3k or more posts (an arbitrary endpoint) shows the following:

158 of the 251 have visited in the last week.
211 of the 251 have visited in the last year.
27 have not posted since 2014.
7 have not posted since 2013.
10 have not posted since 2012.
3 have not posted since 2011.
4 have not posted since 2010.
6 have not posted this decade.

If there was any sort of mass exodus, it would have been in 2014, except that it seems there were about 2-3 a month who left, which seems like an accelerated attrition likely due to life.

It looks like total posting fell below 10k a month for the first time in June 2013. I don't notice anything in the threads from that time that seem like a reason for this drop.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #128
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think it is just the ebb and flow of the way the world works. Lives change and people find other interesting things to do. I left a while ago and only came back for the Game of Thrones discussion.

Yeah, folks have left because of modding BS or issues with other posters, but I think its mostly because lives change.

The OOTP forums were a great place back with OOTP3-6. Then, people just moved on.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #129
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Yeah, folks have left because of modding BS or issues with other posters, but I think its mostly because lives change.

Obviously it's a mix of those two factors, and maybe a few others, and there can be debate over how much fault to give each one.

But when you have inevitable attrition caused by "life issues", why do mods insist on aggravating the situation by creating such hostility towards posters? Mods should try to mitigate the natural attrition and encourage posting, not act like dicks and drive people away. It's always been an "us v. them" thing, culminating with mods actually using a board app to ruin the experience of posters they don't like. I remember mods chiming in and kind of mocking everyone when mod drama stuff came up. That's not the way a board with a long-term and aging posting base needs to be handled. Older people are less likely to stick around an internet message board when they're treated badly or put in "time out" for whatever reason, because they do have other shit going on in their lives. I remember someone here running into Ksyrup after mods drove him away, and he said it was just a relief not to deal with all that stuff here anymore. (And I believe he was the #1 or #2 all time poster at the time he left). Of all the factors ruining this board, one could have been controlled, but for whatever reasons, the mods decided to go in the completely opposite direction.

Last edited by molson : 05-27-2015 at 11:20 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #130
spleen1015
Coordinator

I look at the mod debate like I do a sports or political debate. You're going to believe what you believe and there's no changing your mind.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #131
Kodos
Resident Alien

All I can say is that over the years, I've never run into trouble with a mod (except for the time I tried to start a MBBF-free thread). I don't see things as overly modded here.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #132
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
All I can say is that over the years, I've never run into trouble with a mod (except for the time I tried to start a MBBF-free thread). I don't see things as overly modded here.

I have disagreed with modding decisions, but at the same time, it is not very hard to post and enjoy this forum without moderation. Just be a decent person and you're ok.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #133
Kodos
Resident Alien

Honestly, if I had been in charge, the Hell Atlantics and Hornsmaniacs of the world would have been exiled much earlier.

If the "miserable user" thing really happened, that was a little douchey. On the other hand, there are people I wouldn't have felt too bad about if they got that treatment. Ronnie Dobbs wouldn't be one of those though. I'm thinking more along the lines of Bragggggg and some of the ultra-jerks that we've encountered.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-27-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #134
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Molson, well said.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #135
Suicane75
Coordinator

Nah, there's a definite stink to this place in general since the modding got heavy handed. It's just not worth the hassle of trying to have fun. Obviously if someone posted a hardcore porn pic or wished death on another poster or shit like that you'd want the offender banned, but the ticky tacky bullshit and the fun some mods seemed to have doing trivial shit, just became too much of an agitation for a lot of people to even bother trying anymore. When it started it might have been fun to try and "rise up" or debate the issue, but it is what is and so people just went elsewhere or moved on etc..

There are lots of other reasons of course, but to dismiss that one is being disingenuous.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #136
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Just had an experience that makes me wonder how many IP addresses are in the ban list. I just tried to connect from the KLM lounge at the Houston airport from my laptop, and got the IP address is banned message
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #137
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I understand that what some of you are seeing or have gone through are legitimate issues and that the modding has some issues.

But I'm like Kodos. I have never had any issues directly with a mod, to my knowledge. Never been suspended, nor been inhibited much by any mod decision. And I post as much as just about anyone.

Maybe I'm just not too sensitive to these decisions, more of a take it or leave it type, not sure.

I do miss the posters who have left because of mod decisions (well, some of them).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:21 PM   #138
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Looking through the member roles of posters with 3k or more posts (an arbitrary endpoint) shows the following:

158 of the 251 have visited in the last week.
211 of the 251 have visited in the last year.
27 have not posted since 2014.
7 have not posted since 2013.
10 have not posted since 2012.
3 have not posted since 2011.
4 have not posted since 2010.
6 have not posted this decade.

If there was any sort of mass exodus, it would have been in 2014, except that it seems there were about 2-3 a month who left, which seems like an accelerated attrition likely due to life.

It looks like total posting fell below 10k a month for the first time in June 2013. I don't notice anything in the threads from that time that seem like a reason for this drop.

FWIW, the MembersList page doesn't include those who have been banned (e.g. Hell Atlantic Front Office Football Central)
Old 05-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #139
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Whatever happened to JeeberD?!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #140
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
he doesn't know who the fuck half of you are...no knock against you, but he rarely is in OT.

A lot of people would say this is a huge part of the problem.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #141
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Just had an experience that makes me wonder how many IP addresses are in the ban list. I just tried to connect from the KLM lounge at the Houston airport from my laptop, and got the IP address is banned message

Yeah, I've come across some banned IP addresses from my phone before.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #142
tarcone
Coordinator

Who are the mods?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #143
Kodos
Resident Alien

Fritz. Just him. He's in charge of everything.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #144
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Getting out of the flood's way?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #145
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Fritz. Just him. He's in charge of everything.

Which is where the expression came from "It's on the Fritz" when something is broken here, it is his fault.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:25 PM   #146
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Nah, there's a definite stink to this place in general since the modding got heavy handed. It's just not worth the hassle of trying to have fun. Obviously if someone posted a hardcore porn pic or wished death on another poster or shit like that you'd want the offender banned, but the ticky tacky bullshit and the fun some mods seemed to have doing trivial shit, just became too much of an agitation for a lot of people to even bother trying anymore. When it started it might have been fun to try and "rise up" or debate the issue, but it is what is and so people just went elsewhere or moved on etc..

There are lots of other reasons of course, but to dismiss that one is being disingenuous.

I still feel awful for being a dick to you all those years ago.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:01 PM   #147
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
A lot of people would say this is a huge part of the problem.

Exactly. If I were suddenly made the umpire at A womans softball game I'd eject the first batter that came up for wearing a god damned cage on her head and a Barry Bonds size elbow pad. Then when someone hit a home run and the whole dugout emptied so they could do some sort of choreographed razzle dazzle show tune thingamabob, I'd toss em all. I'd fully believe I was in the right, but someone would then explain to me that this how things work in this particular sport, it's how everyone likes it.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #148
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I still feel awful for being a dick to you all those years ago.

Brother, I don't remember and I aint bothered. You're aces in my book.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:01 AM   #149
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I dunno if the modding is heavy handed, so much as inconsistent, confrontational, and insulting. 95% of the time this place operates as if it's unmoderated, and then all of a sudden a mod'll pop down and say so-and-so is banned for some arbitrary reason, and that by the way nobody cares about this board (or this part of it), it's not worth complaining about, and that anybody who still posts here are obviously crusty losers.

It's a "unique" attitude for any board's moderation, especially considering the level of discourse, that it's at least semi-officially attached to a commercial product, and the tenure/intelligence of the average poster at this place, at least relative to similar, male dominated sports and/or video game boards.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-28-2015 at 01:03 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #150
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Who are the mods?

I used to post a "Our Fearless Leaders" post when people would ask this, but I'm afraid I would get boxed for it.

Last edited by DanGarion : 05-28-2015 at 12:05 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote