Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #101
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I can't stop looking at Bob Costas' eye.

yeah me too-at first I thought it was just the angle of the camera through his glasses, but that one eye is definitely drooping
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #102
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Maybe they don't have to build all sorts of new stadiums and infrastructures and such was my point. It would require "scaling them down" in some ways I'm sure, but that's my point.

A certain amount of infrastructure is sort of required if you're going to host a few thousand extra people (what is it, 2k-3k competitors for the Winter games, 11k for the Summer games). Then add spectators & support personnel.

I mean, you gotta be able to house 'em, feed 'em, bath 'em, and get 'em from point A to point B.

And how many places even have specialized venues for some of the events?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #103
Galaxy
Coordinator

Zdeno Chara's "custom" bed:

Boston Bruins' Zdeno Chara gets 'custom' bed at Sochi Olympics | FOX Sports on MSN
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #104
Galaril
Pro Starter

Having lived overseas for 13 years including Korea I can say if people are ripping the accommodations in this Winter Games wait till they 2018 when they are in Pyeonchang. Shit and Soju literally. LOL.

Last edited by Galaril : 02-07-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #105
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So earlier tonight I'm talking to my son about Tretiak and he asks me a question that I had to pause & think over:

Who was the greatest non-Canadian (and ultimately non-North American) hockey forward?

I threw out a couple of names, fairly contemporary ones though. Is there a consensus answer to that question?
Old 02-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #106
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
So earlier tonight I'm talking to my son about Tretiak and he asks me a question that I had to pause & think over:

Who was the greatest non-Canadian (and ultimately non-North American) hockey forward?

I threw out a couple of names, fairly contemporary ones though. Is there a consensus answer to that question?

Consensus - no I wouldn't think so.

Jagr is the leading point-getter among European forwards in NHL history. Selanne is like 300 points behind him, and Jari Kurri is like 55 behind him.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #107
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Consensus - no I wouldn't think so.

Jagr is the leading point-getter among European forwards in NHL history. Selanne is like 300 points behind him, and Jari Kurri is like 55 behind him.

He mentioned Jagr, I kinda froze & threw out Bure's name. Wasn't sure if there was some equivalent to Tretiak that I was just totally blanking on.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #108
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mogilny early in his career was amazing.

We were really treated to a golden age with Mogilny, Bure, Jagr, Federov, Selane, etc...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #109
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Bure at his peak maybe talent-wise, but he's not in the Top 25 in career NHL points.

In fact, those 3 I listed were the only Europeans in the Top 25 Career Points.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-07-2014 at 09:32 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #110
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thanks Lathum, Fedorov's name was one I tried to come up with & totally went blank on.

I really did basically kinda answer the question with a long "Uhhhhh ...."
Old 02-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #111
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Top 10 all-time Europeans - The Hockey News
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #112
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What a fantastic Opening Ceremony!!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 PM   #113
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I would think any of the three from the KLM line could be among the top European forwards.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:22 AM   #114
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I know NBC wants to air everything Winter Olympics, but it was a bit bemusing to see them air "The first training session" from the Women's Ski Jumping :/
Old 02-08-2014, 05:30 AM   #115
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

...and before there was vuvuzelas... there was the Dutch skating fans blowing horns at speed skating (airing on NBCSN now)
Old 02-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #116
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Warning, do not go to espn.com for major olympic spoiler:

Spoiler
Old 02-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #117
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Orange Crush, Netherlands sweeping the podium in Men's 5,000 speed skating.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #118
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Warning, do not go to espn.com for major olympic
spoiler

It's terrible on how the media is spoiling everything. Turn on a news channel, pr open up your browser and go search, or to the news sites, and they spoil it right for you. MSN is really bad.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #119
cuervo72
Head Coach

Just stick to MIJB's updates. You might not even get spoiled as to what events are going on.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #120
Buccaneer
Head Coach

MIJB's updates and ISiddiqui's cheerleading and you'll be all set.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #121
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
It's terrible on how the media is spoiling everything.

Yeah ... God forbid that news outlets covering an event actually provide, you know, news about the event.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #122
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

People in internet age complaining about internet. News at 11.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #123
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

It wouldn't be hard to link to results with no spoilers so only those who wanted to know the results would find out instead of plastering it on the main page. Sadly common courtesy is no longer a rule to live by.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #124
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
It wouldn't be hard to link to results with no spoilers so only those who wanted to know the results would find out instead of plastering it on the main page. Sadly common courtesy is no longer a rule to live by.

That's not common courtesy, that's a disservice to those who wanted the info in as quick & easy a fashion as possible. If something is headline worthy (which is questionable I'll admit) then it belongs in the headline, site visitors shouldn't be forced to make an extra click because people are too f'n stupid to anticipate the presence of so-called spoilers.

For ESPN, it's a matter of competition. The more viewership they can kill, the happier they are. It's not their event after all.

For MSNBC, it's a matter of trying encourage casual viewers by reminding them that some obscure event even exists (and to emphasize that "yes, we're part of this too")
Old 02-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #125
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's not common courtesy, that's a disservice to those who wanted the info in as quick & easy a fashion as possible. If something is headline worthy (which is questionable I'll admit) then it belongs in the headline, site visitors shouldn't be forced to make an extra click because people are too f'n stupid to anticipate the presence of so-called spoilers.

For ESPN, it's a matter of competition. The more viewership they can kill, the happier they are. It's not their event after all.

For MSNBC, it's a matter of trying encourage casual viewers by reminding them that some obscure event even exists (and to emphasize that "yes, we're part of this too")

Thankfully this wasn't the prevailing line of thought in 1980.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #126
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What's stupid is for any entity involved in televising the events spoiling the results. I have seen several results on MSN that means I won't be watching those events later, makes no sense watching a sporting event in which you know the outcome.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #127
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
What's stupid is for any entity involved in televising the events spoiling the results. I have seen several results on MSN that means I won't be watching those events later, makes no sense watching a sporting event in which you know the outcome.

+1
Old 02-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #128
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What's stupid is for any entity involved in televising the events spoiling the results.

But that isn't the typical viewer. These are largely "spectacle" viewers -- especially in the winter games -- watching for the fact that it's on rather than because it's compelling sports.

We fall into a trap of thinking the world (err ... the rest of the country) thinks like us, reality is that we're far from the norm.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-08-2014 at 01:55 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #129
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think we've had this discussion before in length about sportscenter showing a 2 minute segment on a game - and then displaying the score on the ticker 15 seconds in, but it IS ridiculous when I want to watch highlights on nbcolympics.com of an event and on the right there are three stories about who got gold, silver and bronze.

If you're going to offer the online streams and replays and use it to drive advertising content, surely you can avoid doing that right? That's an instant switch off, no point in watching any more for me.

EDIT - to add the additional annoyance of the twitter feed, which I don't think I can turn off, that tells me the results even in real time ahead of actually getting to see the run (this was very notable during the slopestyle the last couple of nights)

Last edited by bhlloy : 02-08-2014 at 02:26 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #130
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Woohoo!! Wait, what?
Old 02-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #131
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Indeed. It's NBC's fault for tape delaying events. Don't go on sports websites if you don't want to be spoiled - some folks want to see the results and not wait until they are aired before they can find out what is going on.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #132
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Indeed. It's NBC's fault for tape delaying events. Don't go on sports websites if you don't want to be spoiled - some folks want to see the results and not wait until they are aired before they can find out what is going on.

I agree, NBC sucks with their tape delayed coverage. However, it's plastered all over the MSN homepage and other non-sports sites. I could understand going to ESPN, NBC Sports, ect.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-08-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #133
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I kid not, today I witness people run for a tv and watch Sven Kramer skate his 5,000 meters. After he finished they knew the gold medal was in the pocket and went on with their normal Saturday afternoon business. The podium sweep was just icing on the cake.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #134
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Hey, I kept my side to the agreement: comments on live events in spoiler tags. I did miss the failing Olympic ring (which did get aired overhere), fwiw.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #135
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I agree, NBC sucks with their tape delayed coverage. However, it's plastered all over the MSN homepage and other non-sports sites. I could understand going to ESPN, NBC Sports, ect.

NBC paid $775m for the U.S. broadcast rights for Sochi alone.
NBC production costs in Sochi are described as "at least $100m"

They've managed to sell $900m in advertising.

All those hits to stories on MSN & the other non-sports sites are to give them more tonnage, extra spots to sell to advertisers. They also add into the heavily hyped figures about how "online traffic for the Olympics is higher than ever", which are then used to sell ads for subsequent years (NBC has the contract through 2020)
Old 02-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #136
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Watching the Olympics from Grenada tonight, it is striking how different the coverage is in other countries.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #137
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Watching the Olympics from Grenada tonight, it is striking how different the coverage is in other countries.

NBC and our cable company have been in a dispute for several months. They did negotiate a deal with CBC to show American athletes performing.
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:30 PM   #138
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

I wonder how much the Winter Olympics even register for an equatorial nation. Like for starters, what's a winter.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #139
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola-
(nice humblebrag)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #140
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Spoiler
Old 02-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #141
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Next time, no dutch speed skaters allowed. Hog all the medals
Old 02-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #142
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
NBC paid $775m for the U.S. broadcast rights for Sochi alone.
NBC production costs in Sochi are described as "at least $100m"

They've managed to sell $900m in advertising.

All those hits to stories on MSN & the other non-sports sites are to give them more tonnage, extra spots to sell to advertisers. They also add into the heavily hyped figures about how "online traffic for the Olympics is higher than ever", which are then used to sell ads for subsequent years (NBC has the contract through 2020)

Oh, I get it's about driving money. Just an annoyance.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #143
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The kid wanted to see what was on while we ate lunch so we end up on ski jumping. Announcer says something like "and now for more we go to Randy Moss"

Scared the shit outta me.

As it turned out, this Randy Moss was an old white guy.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #144
Suicane75
Coordinator

One of the things I like about the Olympics is that it allows me to imagine I would watch this stuff if there were an organized league. Like, I could imagine watching a season of cross country skiing. I mean, I wouldn't, but I could imagine it.

Also, sexiest Olympics ever.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #145
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The end of the Skiathalon was awesome

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #146
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My wife and I were talking about this today: I don't have anything against figure skating (or in summer, gymnastics). However, the Olympic presentation just grates on me. Aside from my bi-annual complaint that those two sports take up a disproportional time, the cattiness of announcers is awful and it makes it hard for me to watch them.

We had family in town so I'm going back and forth between the afternoon coverage today and the evening coverage last night in commercials. During the French, who skated pretty well last night, the announcer comes out and says something backhanded about how it was a good skate because normally the guy chokes. Compare that with the guy just calling the Skiathalon. It's an over hour long "boat race" with a sprint to the finish and he spends the air time during the race explaining who some of these people are, what the event are, etc. And then he go all Gus Johnson for the final 5 minutes in the race to the finish. A FIVE MINUTE RACE TO THE FINISH and he's excited as can be about how awesome this is.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-09-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #147
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I can't stop looking at Bob Costas' eye.

I haven't seen online: what is up with his eye? It looks like his glasses magnify his eye and one is off.

SI

Old 02-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #148
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

My guess is pink eye. His left eye was more than halfway closed and looked irritated on opening night.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #149
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

He's said eye infection, but hasn't specified beyond that.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #150
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Bob Costas will never tell the world how intense his face sitting fetish is, but his pink eye says it all.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote