Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2006, 05:35 PM   #101
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

If anyone can help, I'll greatly appreciate it. I've tried every trick I know to delete these darn temp files. I've gotten rid of almost everyone, but Norton states there are a few left and for some reason it won't delete them.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:40 PM   #102
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

#!%! I thought I figured out the problem. I found the numbered files in Windows' temp folder. I deleted them. I'm still getting the ATI Catalyst when I attempt to autoplay the DVD for this game!
Old 03-21-2006, 05:42 PM   #103
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
#!%! I thought I figured out the problem. I found the numbered files in Windows' temp folder. I deleted them. I'm still getting the ATI Catalyst when I attempt to autoplay the DVD for this game!

Crap. I've had the same problem before and fixed it, I just can't remember where the files were that I had to get rid of. It is always ATI drivers, too.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:43 PM   #104
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... what a great game. Graphics are top notch. I'm running it on Very High with a resolution of 1280*1024 and it's running really nice.

The 'realistic' lighting is from HDR. Though using that means I can't use anti-aliasing, and I'm going to play around to see what looks the best. Though I think just having HDR rather than AA will make it far more impressive.

The gameplay is similar, but the Imperial City is freaking awesome! Much bigger and better than any city in Morrowind. I'm exploring that rather than doing my main quest at the moment . Lots of shops and lots of people around (each with great facial graphics and voice acting).

With the main menu screen and the beginning of the new campaign it also makes it FEEL like you are walking into something EPIC. The music, the Patrick Stewart voice over, the ancient looking menus. Just wonderful.

I'm impressed so far.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 03-21-2006 at 08:01 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:01 PM   #105
KWhit
Coordinator

I cannot wait to get this for my birthday (Friday). Woot!
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:05 PM   #106
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Actually, no

That should be the solution, but I've deleted them with Norton's program. I've deleted them with Clean Disk, yet whenever I put any disk in, it keeps trying to install ATI's Catalyst Control Center

Easy fix

goto start/run and type msconfig

Than tab over to startup and uncheck anything to do with ATI and then click on apply.

restart computer
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:18 PM   #107
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I like the fact that you can't sell stolen goods to just any store. You have to find a fence to sell them.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #108
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Really tried to resist this one, but I might as well just give up.

I'll likely get this in the next couple of days.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:35 PM   #109
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'll try that to see if it works in a little bit, jbmagic.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:01 PM   #110
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

Here's a nifty program to get rid of ATI drivers:
http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.html
Old 03-21-2006, 10:06 PM   #111
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
Here's a nifty program to get rid of ATI drivers:
http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.html

Uhmmm, this might be a stupid question, but will that uninstall them or just get rid of the installation files that are hanging around. Am I wrong in assuming I need the ATI drivers to remain installed for my ATI Graphics card?
Old 03-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #112
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Aestus the Master Thief has risen. Oh yes.

Hint to all those who follow in my footsteps....stealing wine rocks.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:14 PM   #113
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Uhmmm, this might be a stupid question, but will that uninstall them or just get rid of the installation files that are hanging around. Am I wrong in assuming I need the ATI drivers to remain installed for my ATI Graphics card?

Ooops, sorry about this. I should have read the page previous to this one to see what the original problem was. Well you can just cancel autoplay and install the file directly from the CD. Right click on that drive, select Open, look for the setup.exe file and it should just install.

So no it was not a stupid question. I just should have went back a page.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:16 PM   #114
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ooops, sorry about this. I should have read the page previous to this one to see what the original problem was. Well you can just cancel autoplay and install the file directly from the CD. Right click on that drive, select Open, look for the setup.exe file and it should just install.

So no it was not a stupid question. I just should have went back a page.

I'm still not sure if jbmagic's solution will cause the same problem..

I'm going to try it once this virus scan is done.

Edit to add: I don't even want to play anymore tonight, I just want it installed. By the way, I know I could have done that workaround (like I did for my last 2 games), but I'm determined to figure out why the ATI files keep trying to install.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-21-2006 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:20 PM   #115
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm still not sure if jbmagic's solution will cause the same problem..

I'm going to try it once this virus scan is done.

Edit to add: I don't even want to play anymore tonight, I just want it installed. By the way, I know I could have done that workaround (like I did for my last 2 games), but I'm determined to figure out why the ATI files keep trying to install.

Sorry, if I had an ATI card, I could look more into it. Unfortunately I don't have that type of card.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:29 PM   #116
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Eaglefan27

Yep

You will be good to go once you do it.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:29 PM   #117
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Actually, no

That should be the solution, but I've deleted them with Norton's program. I've deleted them with Clean Disk, yet whenever I put any disk in, it keeps trying to install ATI's Catalyst Control Center

This might be a stupid suggestion, and sorry if you've already mentioned this, but you did uninstall the Control Center, correct? There is an ATI Software Utility Uninstall in the Add/Remove programs list on my computer, and I believe you can selectively uninstall components of the Control Center from there.

And yes, That ATI Control Center software is friggin' obnoxious. I made the mistake of installing it by mistake thinking that I was just updating my drivers and it prompty took over my computer. Bloatware deluxe.

If I remember correctly, I just ran an uninstall on it and got rid of it. There were options to remove the Control Center extras but not the video card drivers, etc.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 03-21-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:31 PM   #118
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
This might be a stupid suggestion, and sorry if you've already mentioned this, but you did uninstall the Control Center, correct? There is an ATI Software Utility Uninstall in the Add/Remove programs list on my computer, and I believe you can selectively uninstall components of the Control Center from there.

And yes, That ATI Control Center software is friggin' obnoxious. I made the mistake of installing it by mistake thinking that I was just updating my drivers and it prompty took over my computer.

If I remember correctly, I just ran an uninstall on it and got rid of it. There was a way to remove the Control Center but not the video card drivers, etc.

That is an excellent suggestion. I see that as a seperate program under add/remove program. My virus scan is almost complete. I'm going to try this first. If this still doesn't work, I'll try jb's suggestion.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:32 PM   #119
jbmagic
Pro Starter

The ATI Software Utility is running in the background when starting your computer.

My solution will not have it load up on startup.

After that you will be good to go. It won't affect your video card at all.

You can always get to your ATI Software Utility by going to program/start anytime you need to access it.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:39 PM   #120
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well darn. I uninstalled the Catalyst control center, and it still tried to install it when I put in the oblivion disc.. Trying jbmagic's recommendation now.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:44 PM   #121
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Even after altering the msconfig file and rebooting like jbmagic said, it still tried to install the catalyst file

I give up. I'm just going to try the workaround.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-21-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:48 PM   #122
GrantDawg

Quote:
Dola -

Even after altering the msconfig file and rebooting like jbmagic said, it still tried to install the catalyst file

I'm sorry to hear that. I had the same problem in the past and like I said before the only way I got rid of it is erasing the ATI instal files, but I can't for the life of me remember where they were.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:49 PM   #123
GrantDawg

Dola: There might have also been a registery change necessary.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:51 PM   #124
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola -

Damn

This is very odd.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #125
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Dola -

I've always used this:

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/D...737&deptID=894
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:57 PM   #126
GrantDawg

Try looking (with hidden files viewed) at C:\Documents and Settings\*your profile*\Local Settings\Temp, and see if there is still an ATI install there.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:58 PM   #127
sabotai
General Manager

For some reason, when your computer is running the Autorun, instead of going to the setup.exe file on your CD, it sounds like it's being redirected somewhere else....that's just weird.

Do a search on your C drive (and other hard drives) for any setup.exe files and see what comes up. You should be able to delete any that come up. (But, just on the safe side, I wouldn't delete anything in any WINDOWS\ folders)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:02 PM   #128
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Try this.

Right click on your CD/DVD Rom and select Properties. Click the Autoplay tab. Go through the combo box to see if somehow ATI is being activated.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:19 PM   #129
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Trying these suggestions now, and I really appreciate them. I'm frustrated by my lack of ability to solve this problem, but when I clicked on the setup icon, the game installed very smoothly.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:37 PM   #130
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
For some reason, when your computer is running the Autorun, instead of going to the setup.exe file on your CD, it sounds like it's being redirected somewhere else....that's just weird.

Do a search on your C drive (and other hard drives) for any setup.exe files and see what comes up. You should be able to delete any that come up. (But, just on the safe side, I wouldn't delete anything in any WINDOWS\ folders)

The search detected 106 files called Setup.exe! :o

12 of them were ATI related. All of the ones that aren't in a windows folder are now getting deleted. Then, I need to find a game I haven't installed on this new computer just to see if that cured the problem.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:02 AM   #131
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Double Dola -

Thanks everyone. I can go to bed in a bit knowing the problem is solved. Deleting all of those setup files seems to have done the trick, and I'm a bit embarassed I didn't think of doing that search myself. I just installed Real War (one of my worst purchases in the past few years.) At least the game was useful for this test, as it installed with autoplay without a problem.

I just tried 5 minutes of Oblivion and the game looks incredible on my computer, but I don't dare start for real this late as I have to get up early and I'm sure a "half hour" session could quickly become a 3 hour session.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:15 AM   #132
Izulde
Head Coach

Question,

Will Oblivion's PC version work with some type of gamepad? If so, what one?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:36 AM   #133
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Well, I played briefly yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised. My computer is on the lowest setting right now and sometimes "hiccups".

I hate when you have to accompany someone, they always hop in front of you when you melee attack...it's more fun alone.

Just made it to the sewers and I'm quite happy so far...but I know it'll be important to take a disciplined approach so that I don't lose days from work, eating and sleeping.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:48 AM   #134
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, anyone experiment with HDR vs. Bloom & 4x AA? I tried the later, but didn't play enough to notice how much better the graphical quality was, because I missed the cool lighting effects of HDR too much.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:16 AM   #135
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Yep, that's what I've heard as well since the release. People are reporting that a 6800 will recommend HIGH but not VERY HIGH. And I'm seeing that a 6600 is being recommended at MEDIUM. So as long as you don't need everything maxed out, it sounds like a 6800 or even a 6600 will be fine. It's good to hear that the lower-mid level cards can run the game well.

I have a 6800 and the game recommended Very High, and is running brilliantly. Once in awhile, during battles with several NPC's, it might lag slightly...other than that it's great though.

BTW, anybody else a bit dissapointed that horses can't be moved like your character? I was hoping that I could just turn the mouse which way I wanted to go and be off...but you have to use the 'A' and 'D' buttons instead to turn it...I just find it annoying and don't ride my horse as much now.

But as for the rest of the game, it's awesome so far. I agree that some tooltips would help understand the interface a bit easier, but after looking through the manual (a rare thing for me) I figured it out, and now I quite like it. Combat is still taking some getting used to, but I think I like it overall. I especially like spellcasting, I've been blowing rats and scamps away all night with my flares, yay fun.

I should have called in sick today,

Last edited by PraetorianX : 03-22-2006 at 08:26 AM.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:22 AM   #136
TroyF
Coordinator

I picked up the game for the 360 last night. Played an hour or so and I am very impressed. Graphics are top notch and I like the voice acting. I still haven't made my way out of the dungeons yet. I can't wait to see the town.

FWIW, I grabbed the game for the 360 because I stare at a computer screen 8-10 hours a day and really would rather stare at the 51" HD if I'm going to have extended sessions with a graphics based game.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #137
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, for those wondering how the game will play, check out this link from the official forums (2nd post in):

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/i...ic=270923&st=0

It is comprehensive look on how you'll be able to play with different video cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraetorianX
BTW, anybody else a bit dissapointed that horses can't be moved like your character? I was hoping that I could just turn the mouse which way I wanted to go and be off...but you have to use the 'A' and 'D' buttons instead to turn it...I just find it annoying and don't ride my horse as much now.

Well horses can't exactly walk sideways that easily, can they?

I actually like it. It feels more like riding a horse (like the A and D keys are you putting your leg on the horse in that direction).

Riding the horse I can't imagine that I walked (well, ran) everywhere in Morrowind!
Old 03-22-2006, 08:46 AM   #138
Yossarian
High School Varsity

In morrowind I ended up ruining the game for myself because I played all the side quests and then when I went back to the main one, I was too powerful and got bored of all the quests.

That's by the by but re: trasportation, I fashioned myself a super powerful amulet with that special soul trap thing that makes the effect be permanent (as opposed to a limited quantity of uses). Anyway, the effet on the amulet was a major big jump and I could literally jump about one third of the map in one go. With a runny, I'd jump and see clouds and then just sort of fog and 'loading' screens for a minute while my map showed my speeding.

eventually i'd land with a crunch but no major damage cause at that point i was quite well built up.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:31 PM   #139
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL! Man, reading the official forums are a TRIP! There is as much whining over unfinished game and needs patches than any other game I've seen (and I thought complaints about SMAC and CivIV were the top end!!). And you have people RETURNING the game because they think the interface is to 'console like' and hate it because of that. I'm utterly amazed. People are so strange.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:31 PM   #140
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Most official forums are like that, I avoid them like the plague.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:25 PM   #141
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I only played VERY briefly last night, but I loved the interface from what little I saw.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:36 PM   #142
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
This company is the only commercial company that I have consistently bought games from.[/url]
Blizzard is the only instant buy for me. EVERY one of their games is top of the line...i really didnt think WOW would be, but it has blown by expectations to become by far the most popular MMORPG...SI is up there nowadays, with FM and EHM...gotta wait to see on OOTP before i declare them #2 though
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:22 PM   #143
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I only played VERY briefly last night, but I loved the interface from what little I saw.

Same here. It takes a bit to get used to it, but its really nicely done... and I love the 'ancient document' feel to it.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:23 PM   #144
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

To answer the question of HDR vs Bloom and AA. My nice almost new ATI card doesn't support HDR apparently

Therefore, I'm using Bloom with 6x AA and it looked great in those few minutes I played tonight. I can't wait to get home from work in a few hours and play some more since Mrs. Eaglesfan has to work late tonight.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-22-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:06 PM   #145
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I am swamped with work, so of course I went and bought it this afternoon.

Loaded it up this afternoon and just spent a half hour exploring the first dungeon.

So far it seems to run great on my modest set up:
P4 2.6
Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb
2gb RAM

Detected Medium settings. I turned up the resoltion to 800 by 600, and turned off shadows altogether.

Very quick initial impressions:

Wow! Very impressed.
Beautiful graphics and rich gameplay.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #146
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Interesting....

They have this game available for direct download at Direct2Drive. Has anyone ever used this service?
http://www.direct2drive.com/376/prod...vion-w/-Manual
Old 03-22-2006, 07:34 PM   #147
Brillig
College Prospect

Good and bad - I love the graphics, everyone's right when they say that they're amazing. I haven't really noticed any lighting problem. Although I haven't made it out of the sewers yet.

Still, there are a number of rather annoying niggles. Like not being able to turn off head-bobbing, for example. Or the inability to map turning to keys. And why did they limit you to eight hot-keys? Hasn't anyone figured out yet that sorting save games by character is a *good* idea? Etc...

In spite of any lingering annoyances, though, I'm sure I'm going to be playing this for quite a while. If only I could stop playing with the character creator long enough to make it out of the sewer...
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:05 PM   #148
Schmidty
Coordinator

Just got it, and played for an hour before dinner.

Holy crap. This thing is rocking my world already.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:07 PM   #149
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Is the game challenging? how good is the AI you fight?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:23 PM   #150
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To answer the question of HDR vs Bloom and AA. My nice almost new ATI card doesn't support HDR apparently

Therefore, I'm using Bloom with 6x AA and it looked great in those few minutes I played tonight. I can't wait to get home from work in a few hours and play some more since Mrs. Eaglesfan has to work late tonight.

I picked HDR. 4x AA looks really great, but HDR, while perhaps not as smooth, has a WOW factor that is hard to beat. The lighting does look very realistic. It's amazing.