Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #101
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Blackmon will probably be right around 4.5. He certainly wont be even close the fastest WR in the draft. The thing that is kind of concerning about him is that he plays like a big WR but by NFL standards isnt really a big WR(height wise). He plays a physical style and uses his strength many times to get open. I think he has more of the potential to be a top level #2 guy rather than being a teams go to WR.

Justin Blackmon Scouting Report « PRO Prospects

Not sure how accurate they are, but sportsline.com projects him around 4.54. It's the primarily site I used to make my mock draft.

Also, not sure if it will have any impact on his draft stock or not but Blackmon was arrested for DUI in October 2010.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #102
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

if you can get beat the jam you can play in the league. stevie johnson isn't fast, doesn't run great routes and has suspect hands. but he's tough to press.

blackmon should be at least as good.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #103
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
During the season it was reported locally that Manning was very unhappy with how much the Polians leaked about his neck surgery recovery was going. So it's also possible Irsay fired the Polians to mend the fence with Manning.

Who's going to trade FOR Manning though? That option bonus makes him a hell of a bitter pill to swallow. No way the Colts can keep him and draft Luck, better to play chicken with them and see if they'll just not pick up the option instead and you can get him without giving anything up. And if they do keep Manning, you know they have less leverage with the #1 pick, so you can get a better deal for it.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-03-2012 at 02:58 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #104
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Manning is going to get paid either way.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #105
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post

Right - but why give up more for him then you have to?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #106
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Right - but why give up more for him then you have to?

Because getting him instantly makes you a Super Bowl contender.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #107
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Because getting him instantly makes you a Super Bowl contender.

a) that's still TBD - it will depend on how well he has actually healed
b) the window that he will make you a contender in may be very small
c) that still doesn't mean you would overpay for him. Successful teams build through the draft...they don't give away draft picks to acquire vets
d) does it really? He's only brought Indy there one time. I have a hard time believing that he'll be able to go in somehwere else brand new, with a culture/offense that isn't geared 100% to him and transform the franchise overnight (which given that he has a questionable future given the injury and his age is basically what you're asking him to do)

Note: I'm not saying the guy is chopped-liver or is worthless. I'm just saying there's no need to OVERPAY to get him. Get the best deal you can.

If you're not a believer in getting the best deal you can I have a car I'd like to sell you.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-03-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #108
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Who's going to trade FOR Manning though? That option bonus makes him a hell of a bitter pill to swallow. No way the Colts can keep him and draft Luck, better to play chicken with them and see if they'll just not pick up the option instead and you can get him without giving anything up. And if they do keep Manning, you know they have less leverage with the #1 pick, so you can get a better deal for it.

I read somewhere that teams can't even makes traded until after Manning's $28 million option is due. Unless Manning is willing to push that back, the Colts have no choice but to swallow it (unlikely if they're only trying to trade him) or cut him.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #109
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
I hope Im wrong as well. The story with Blackmon and that Olivia girl is very moving. I wish he was 6 3 or 6 4 instead of 6 1.

are there official measurements being made on this like with the NBA ? I´ve seen him play like 5 times and "he play bigger" comments aside he actually looked taller when measuring him against other players, didn´t he ?
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #110
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Dola, I think it was the in an article Bill Kravitz wrote, an Indy Star columnist and the Colts' beat writer.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #111
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm seeing some rumors that he may not be ready for the start of the 2012 season.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #112
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
a) that's still TBD - it will depend on how well he has actually healed
b) the window that he will make you a contender in may be very small
c) that still doesn't mean you would overpay for him. Successful teams build through the draft...they don't give away draft picks to acquire vets
d) does it really? He's only brought Indy there one time. I have a hard time believing that he'll be able to go in somehwere else brand new, with a culture/offense that isn't geared 100% to him and transform the franchise overnight (which given that he has a questionable future given the injury and his age is basically what you're asking him to do)

All correct...that's why you are going to have to pay for the right to find out the answers to a, b, and d.

Manning won't be playing on the cheap next season, I assure you. So, you'll either deal out the draft picks and have the Colts pay his bonus or you'll be paying Manning directly with a big, fat, upfront bonus.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #113
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think Manning playing some where else is a moot point because I think that's why the Polians are gone. They wanted to dump him or trade him and Irsay wanted to keep him. So, Irsay decided who he wanted to keep.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #114
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I think Manning playing some where else is a moot point because I think that's why the Polians are gone. They wanted to dump him or trade him and Irsay wanted to keep him. So, Irsay decided who he wanted to keep.

Locally, it's being reported that Chris Polian had become extremely unpopular within the Colts organization and that Irsay didn't trust him. The Colts couldn't really keep Bill and fire his son Chris so they fired both of them. Chris also reportedly had more responsibility at this point then Bill did. It doesn't sound as if the issue of whether or not to keep Manning had anything/much to do with the decision to keep the Polians.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #115
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
are there official measurements being made on this like with the NBA ? I´ve seen him play like 5 times and "he play bigger" comments aside he actually looked taller when measuring him against other players, didn´t he ?

He is listed at 6 1. Like you when I see him play in college he reminds of a TO type because he appears to look like a beast out there.

I mean 6 1 is a good size for a NFL WR but not the freakishly good size of a Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, or Terrell Owens type.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-03-2012 at 05:06 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #116
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
He is listed at 6 1. .

I know, but in Basketball kids measure taller/smaller than listed at the combine all the time. That´s what i was aiming at really, that maybe his listing from back when isn´t accurate anymore ? Do they update them year to year ?
Also, do they even measure things like wingspan ? I´d figure that would be a huge factor for Receivers, no ?

Last edited by whomario : 01-03-2012 at 05:13 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #117
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hope Im wrong as well. The story with Blackmon and that Olivia girl is very moving. I wish he was 6 3 or 6 4 instead of 6 1.

Well, besides Lloyd nobody on this Rams team can catch.. and Blackmon catches everything.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #118
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Greg Salas will be back, and he can catch. before he got hurt he was the best receiver on that team.

This was also before Lloyd. but I really think Salas and Lloyd could be solid

Edit: disregard any Hawai'i homerism

Last edited by k0ruptr : 01-03-2012 at 05:29 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #119
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Greg Salas will be back, and he can catch. before he got hurt he was the best receiver on that team.

This was also before Lloyd. but I really think Salas and Lloyd could be solid

I would argue Amendola was the best at catching the ball before he was hurt.. but I'd like to see more of Salas next year.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #120
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I like Amendola , its unfortunate he only got to play 1 game this season.

I think the Rams need more help elsewhere then WR, If Amendola and Salas can get healthy its a decent WR core.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 01-03-2012 at 05:40 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #121
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I know, but in Basketball kids measure taller/smaller than listed at the combine all the time. That´s what i was aiming at really, that maybe his listing from back when isn´t accurate anymore ? Do they update them year to year ?
Also, do they even measure things like wingspan ? I´d figure that would be a huge factor for Receivers, no ?
Official measurements at the combine I believe include wingspan.

As for college height/weight listings - take those with a huge grain of salt. They are usually fudged to make the player look better.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #122
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Man - the quality of analysis by ESPN is pathetic.

Robert Griffin III, not Andrew Luck, the right pick for Indianapolis Colts - ESPN
Old 01-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #123
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

What do you expect from Jemele Hill?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #124
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
What do you expect from Jemele Hill?

+1, she's awful. I want to know what exactly everyone sees in RG3 that makes him a better pure pro prospect than Andrew Luck.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #125
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
+1, she's awful. I want to know what exactly everyone sees in RG3 that makes him a better pure pro prospect than Andrew Luck.

My guess is Cam doing so well is partly fueling this.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #126
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Not sure how accurate they are, but sportsline.com projects him around 4.54. It's the primarily site I used to make my mock draft.

Also, not sure if it will have any impact on his draft stock or not but Blackmon was arrested for DUI in October 2010.

I see him, if successful, at best like Hines Ward. Top upside is more realistically Probably more like Wayne Chrebet or Keenan McCardell.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #127
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Is her argument that RGIII should be drafted over Luck seriously based on the fact that RGIII is going to take more time to develop than Luck?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #128
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Heh. I went and read the article and I was dead on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Is her argument that RGIII should be drafted over Luck seriously based on the fact that RGIII is going to take more time to develop than Luck?

Have Manning play now, win now. Have RGIII play after Manning is done and win due to his higher potential. They can do the same with Luck, but people will likely want Luck starting sooner, and according to her, Luck has less potential even though he will be really good.

Indy is drafting Luck unless there comes some monster deal. I don't see it since people will just pay less to trade up to get RGIII.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #129
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Yeah
Old 01-04-2012, 02:42 AM   #130
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Anyone who's judging qb's by race (which is why the Jamarcus v. Cam comps were absurd) has their own issues, IMO. Stylistically I suppose RGB is closer to Cam, but The guy had a 72% accuracy rate this year- that's Andrew luck esque.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #131
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I don't think I have seen someone throw deep balls as accurately as he does. Along with that, he is a smart guy and a hard worker, and far more athletically gifted than Luck. I think his ceiling is much higher than Lucks.I see Luck as a Matt Ryan type with more mobility. RGIII could be an even more athletic Aaron Rodgers.

When it all boils down, I think injuries will be the only thing that separates the two in any significant way success wise.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #132
Logan
Head Coach

I could be way off on this, but I think people who are (comparatively) down on Luck are just too used to watching more college-style offenses and the monster numbers (and length of passes) that go with it. I'm no QB guru, but when I watch Luck's footwork, pocket presence, quickness delivering the ball, accuracy on the intermediate routes, I'm amazed at where he's at compared to other college QBs. I feel like it's these things that people are forgetting, and why he will be given the highest grade by the NFL guys since Elway, as reported.

edit: It's not to turn this into a Luck vs RGIII debate. I think he could be great as well with some more work, and I'm sure rooting for him since he seems like a great kid.

Last edited by Logan : 01-04-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #133
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Andrew Luck will be the next Chris Weinke, because all those white quarterbacks play the same.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #134
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

No, that's Brandon Weedon.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #135
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I could be way off on this, but I think people who are (comparatively) down on Luck are just too used to watching more college-style offenses and the monster numbers (and length of passes) that go with it. I'm no QB guru, but when I watch Luck's footwork, pocket presence, quickness delivering the ball, accuracy on the intermediate routes, I'm amazed at where he's at compared to other college QBs. I feel like it's these things that people are forgetting, and why he will be given the highest grade by the NFL guys since Elway, as reported.

edit: It's not to turn this into a Luck vs RGIII debate. I think he could be great as well with some more work, and I'm sure rooting for him since he seems like a great kid.

I would say it is more backlash than anything else. Despite not getting the ESPNs of the world 24 hrs a day, it seems like the question is not whether he will be the number one pick. The question seems to be how many All-Pro he will be awarded and who he will have doing his introduction in Canton.

I think Luck will be a great QB. I would make him the number one pick. However to hear some talk, Andrew Luck is a guaranteed Hall of Famer. Those sort of unfair expectations will lead to unfair criticisms.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 01-05-2012 at 04:18 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #136
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I like this draft...

NFL Mock Draft 2012: Andrew Luck, Justin Blackmon, Robert Griffin III Among Tops Projected Picks
Old 01-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #137
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

MSU's Worthy(DL) enters the draft. As a Michigan fan, all I can say is thank god.

Link

Last edited by Matthean : 01-05-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #138
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Landry Jones is coming back.

Sooner QB Landry Jones returning for senior year - CBSSports.com
Old 01-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #139
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from the GT Athletics FB page
Quote:
GT wide receiver Stephen Hill has decided to enter the 2012 NFL draft. We wish him well in his future endeavors.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #140
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

2012 NFL Draft early entrants - NFL - SI.com

Complete list of early entrants. I'm shaking my head at Edwin Baker of MSU going. 665 yards, 3.9 average, 5 TDs, and he was the backup. He had a big sophomore year, but this just feels like jumping too soon.

Last edited by Matthean : 01-07-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #141
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

In Captain Obvious news, Colts will be drafting Luck.

Report: Irsay has already decided to pick Luck | ProFootballTalk
Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #142
mckerney
Coordinator

I'm really hoping Griffin stays at Baylor and the Vikings hire a competent GM who will take him with their pick next year.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #143
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I'm really hoping Griffin stays at Baylor and the Vikings hire a competent GM who will take him with their pick next year.

I think that's a long shot...on both counts.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #144
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I hope Griffin comes out and the Browns get him. I like the Browns. I want them to be good.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #145
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Do people really think the Vikings are going to give up on Ponder after one year? I know the new salary scale makes it easier to eat a first round mistake, but I just don't see them giving up on him after 1 season.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #146
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

To be honest, I don't know why the Vikings don't give Joe Webb a legitimate chance to see what he can do as their starter.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #147
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
To be honest, I don't know why the Vikings don't give Joe Webb a legitimate chance to see what he can do as their starter.

Webb should get a shot and should probably come into camp as the #1 QB if nobody else is added, but Webb wasn't a second round prospect the front office and coaching staff have to try to justify picking 12th overall.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #148
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Do people really think the Vikings are going to give up on Ponder after one year? I know the new salary scale makes it easier to eat a first round mistake, but I just don't see them giving up on him after 1 season.

I don't think they will give up on Ponder, but if they have the chance to get a potential franchise QB they absolutely should.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #149
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I never understood throwing a rookie QB onto the field, and then giving up on him so quick. I mean he's a rookie, what do they expect him to do? Go put up elite #s? Give the kid some time. (There are a few exceptions, but they are exceptions)

Edit to expand on this:
If you look at the top QBs in the league, I'm going to go by rating to just get the top 10 guys.

Rodgers - sat 3 years
Brees - sat 1 year, then 2 years of "bad" numbers
Brady - sat 1 year, thrown in 2nd year, good QB rating (first 3 years in the 80s) but didn't throw a whole lot of yards
Romo - sat 3-1/2 years
Stafford - # 1 overall pick, thrown right in, horrible QB rating (61) (injured first 2 years so he did sit a lot also)
Schaub - sat 3 years
Eli - # 1 overall pick, sat 1/2 the year- then really wasn't that great for a few seasons (lower completion %, higher INTs)
Ryan - thrown right in, and has done alright really

Not on that list-
Cam Newton - thrown right in, looked really good actually for being a rookie
Peyton Manning - thrown right in, had a bad first year but they stuck with him and gave him a shot.

So from my pretty much unscientific research shows that- the top QBs were all given some time to develop. A couple were thrown in and had success but I can think of more that were thrown in and did not. Now that's not to say that if you give every QB time they'll develop into a top QB, but it seems to work out better for them.... and just let them play for than a couple seasons before cutting them. Hell look at Alex Smith, he was a "bust" but they stuck with him and while he isn't a great QB you want from the # 1 pick, he's turned into an ok starter... a game manager of sorts, but he's doing better than a lot of other high picks.

Last edited by Doug5984 : 01-10-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #150
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I don't think they will give up on Ponder, but if they have the chance to get a potential franchise QB they absolutely should.

How are they not giving up on Ponder if they draft another QB? Didn't they draft him 12th thinking they had a chance to get a potential franchise QB? If they draft another one a year later, aren't they at least giving up on the idea that he is that?

Last edited by Samdari : 01-10-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote