Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #101
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Speaking of Baylor, Morris to Baylor seems to be losing momentum...

I know the pay would be nice, but not sure if Baylor is a situation a coach is going to recover from easily. They're down to 50 scholarship players after this year's graduating class and I doubt that's the only attrition we see. They also only have 1 player committed currently.

They're going to pay well so they'll get someone better than they should, but whoever it is may have to walk on water just to make that team competitive in the near future.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #102
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I know the pay would be nice, but not sure if Baylor is a situation a coach is going to recover from easily. They're down to 50 scholarship players after this year's graduating class and I doubt that's the only attrition we see. They also only have 1 player committed currently.

They're going to pay well so they'll get someone better than they should, but whoever it is may have to walk on water just to make that team competitive in the near future.

It's going to be close to a death penalty without the NCAA lifting a finger.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #103
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I'd imagine he'd just get his buyout amount

At the time of my comment, it appeared he was fired largely on the basis of a few player interviews.

If he chose to step aside due to "philosophical differences", that's a different situation.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #104
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
At the time of my comment, it appeared he was fired largely on the basis of a few player interviews.

If he chose to step aside due to "philosophical differences", that's a different situation.

He walked away from a $2.5 million buyout with $540k. They had something on him.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:39 PM   #105
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He walked away from a $2.5 million buyout with $540k. They had something on him.

I can imagine being $2m worth of fed up with admins honestly.

Their own outside investigation cleared any misconduct (if we're to believe what I've read anyway), so this looks like it comes down to they wanted to tell him how to do his job. Not sure that's worth $2m.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #106
Atocep
Coordinator

Brohm to Purdue is being reported.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #107
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

Thats a great hire for Quarterback U.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #108
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

Does he still coach the WKU game tomorrow?
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #109
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Thats a great hire for Quarterback U.

Agreed.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #110
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Interesting. Wonder if Fleck is holding out for/is already in negotiations with Oregon?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #111
Atocep
Coordinator

Sounds like it's not 100% done but should be soon.

I prefer Brohm to Fleck. It's a shallow pool of coaches this year and getting Brohm is as good as it can get for Purdue.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #112
Kodos
Resident Alien

Former players weigh in on Coach Wilson.

Wynn, former Hoosiers discuss playing under Wilson

Last edited by Kodos : 12-02-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #113
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I don't see Purdue as an upgrade, when he's already built up Western Michigan. Seems like he should go somewhere he can build back up quickly. WKU to Purdue makes a lot more sense as an upgrade.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #114
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
I don't see Purdue as an upgrade, when he's already built up Western Michigan. Seems like he should go somewhere he can build back up quickly. WKU to Purdue makes a lot more sense as an upgrade.

Purdue is a huge upgrade over the MAC.

A couple of average seasons at Western Michigan and the Oregons and other schools aren't interested anymore. A couple of. 500 years at Purdue and he's still a hot name thats proven himself at the p5 level.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #115
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Purdue is a huge upgrade over the MAC.

A couple of average seasons at Western Michigan and the Oregons and other schools aren't interested anymore. A couple of. 500 years at Purdue and he's still a hot name thats proven himself at the p5 level.

I had agreed with what you wrote but then looked into it some more...did you know Danny Hope got fired by Purdue after doing exactly that - going .500 in his final two years? They won their bowl game in 2011 to go to 7-6, and he got fired before the 2012 bowl game.

Still don't disagree; it's a tough job in an even tougher conference than it was a few years back. At least he'd be in the right division. But damn...hard to please out there.

BTW Hope didn't coach again until ended up at USF as their OL coach in 2015.

Last edited by Logan : 12-02-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #116
Suicane75
Coordinator

I completely disagree with Atoceps assessment. It's a 6 or 7 team hill to climb in the Big 10, and those are 6 or 7 teams that are at the top of the mountain. If Purdue is his end game for the next 6-7 years than I guess that's fine, but if he wants more than Purdue in that time frame, he should aim higher or stay put.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 12-02-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #117
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I had agreed with what you wrote but then looked into it some more...did you know Danny Hope got fired by Purdue after doing exactly that - going .500 in his final two years? They won their bowl game in 2011 to go to 7-6, and he got fired before the 2012 bowl game.

Still don't disagree; it's a tough job in an even tougher conference than it was a few years back. At least he'd be in the right division. But damn...hard to please out there.

Even with that in consideration the G5 jobs just aren't set up to have sustained success and you have to strike when you're hot. Boise is an exception. Fleck can definitely do better as far as jobs go, but Purdue is still an upgrade. If they were in the other big 10 division I wouldn't touch the job.

Last edited by Atocep : 12-02-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #118
Suicane75
Coordinator

My bad. Yeah, I guess division wise he could probably contend within 3 years.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #119
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Even with that in consideration the G5 jobs just aren't set up to have sustained success and you have to strike when you're hot. Boise is an exception. Fleck can definitely do better as far as jobs go, but Purdue is still an upgrade. If they were in the other big 10 division I wouldn't touch the job.

Agreed. The only exceptions are schools that have a ton of money/resources to possibly keep on contending from the G5 slots. If Herman stayed at Houston, if Morris keeps on improving SMU...they have enough donor money to stay relevant and keep coaches. I don't think WMU fits that.

Fleck would have had better opportunities than Purdue (but below Oregon) if circumstances changed where either last year's openings were free this year, or if his WMU timeline was pushed up a year. There were a bunch of P5 openings in the midwest and he would have been a slam dunk hire for Rutgers as he was an assistant here previously. Same probably goes for Maryland.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #120
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Sounds like it's not 100% done but should be soon.

I prefer Brohm to Fleck. It's a shallow pool of coaches this year and getting Brohm is as good as it can get for Purdue.

I like this pool of young coaches better than most years recently. Herman, Fleck, Brohm, and Taggart are young and have won at the G5 level pretty consistently. There's another group behind them in Morris, Frost, Creighton and a few others (Nick Rolovich?) who may be getting a look soon.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #121
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Off-the-field stuff -- a lot of which has never come out to my knowledge. Highlights include blowing off big boosters, no-showing at community outreach events, failed player drug tests with no repercussions, and separate rules for players based on whether you were in or out of the dog house (i.e. you don't have to practice today because coach likes you, but everyone else runs extra kind of bullshit). Some of the inmates were running the asylum, so they had to fire him.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #122
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
I like this pool of young coaches better than most years recently. Herman, Fleck, Brohm, and Taggart are young and have won at the G5 level pretty consistently. There's another group behind them in Morris, Frost, Creighton and a few others (Nick Rolovich?) who may be getting a look soon.

They way I look at it is if the WVU job had opened this offseason would any of those guys excite me? Herman was waiting for Texas so I don't really count him. WVU checked in on him last offseason and he made that clear. After that there isn't a single guy out there right now that I'd get excited about hiring.

With Oregon and Texas taking the top 2 coaches out there it isn't a good year to be searching for a coach IMO. It was smart for Purdue to get an early start and grab Brohm when they could. If the Mississippi State job and some other comparable jobs start to open up I'm not sure there's enough good hires out there.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #123
tarcone
Coordinator

Who are the hot Coordinators? Are there any?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #124
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Kiffin
Old 12-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #125
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

A little surprised Justin Wilcox's name isn't getting tossed around a bit more.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:46 PM   #126
tgray649
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
It's going to be close to a death penalty without the NCAA lifting a finger.

Reap what you sow.
tgray649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:29 AM   #127
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Pleasantly shocked that Brent Venables doesn't get more publicity...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #128
digamma
Torchbearer

I've never seen a statement like the one Houston released regarding Art Briles. Dude is toxic.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #129
Kodos
Resident Alien

Exclusive: 2015 investigation into player treatment contributed to Kevin Wilson's resignation
Old 12-03-2016, 06:25 PM   #130
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Taggart and Harsin both interviewed with Oregon. Tony Dungy publicly backed Taggart, but his results on turning around two programs at WKU and now USF isn't too bad. Would be interesting to see what he could do with Nike bucks.

Oregon Ducks athletic director meets with USF Bulls' Willie Taggart, Boise State Broncos' Bryan Harsin
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #131
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I'd like to see what Taggart could do there as well. His Florida area ties should help recruiting.

I wonder how much longer it will be before a bigger program looks at Matt Rhule. Back-to-back 10 win years at Temple is pretty impressive.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #132
General Mike
Pro Starter

Tommy Tuberville resigned from Cincinnati.

Last edited by General Mike : 12-04-2016 at 01:20 PM.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #133
Logan
Head Coach

Brohm to Purdue official.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #134
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
I wonder how much longer it will be before a bigger program looks at Matt Rhule. Back-to-back 10 win years at Temple is pretty impressive.

Sounds like he is going to Baylor.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #135
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Sounds like he is going to Baylor.

Didn't see that coming at all. They're going to have to run a completely different offense.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #136
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Didn't see that coming at all. They're going to have to run a completely different offense.

Yeah, I hadn't heard his name mentioned at all in connection to Baylor until the hiring was announced.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #137
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Have Ducks cooled off on Taggart? | Tampa Bay Times

Unsubstantiated reports that Oregon interested in James Franklin. Hm.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #138
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Have Ducks cooled off on Taggart? | Tampa Bay Times

Unsubstantiated reports that Oregon interested in James Franklin. Hm.

While I doubt it happens, would be funny to see that on the heels of Rhule to Baylor as he was seen as the guy to follow Franklin when that seat got warm.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #139
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Yeah, I hadn't heard his name mentioned at all in connection to Baylor until the hiring was announced.
And now Wolken is reporting that Oregon made a big play for him too. Must be humbling for the Ducks to lose out to Baylor.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:28 PM   #140
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

At this point, I'd be somewhat surprised to see Franklin leave Penn State. I say somewhat because you never know what is going on behind the scenes but...

He's got recruiting going better than it has been at Penn State since I can remember, certainly better than the last decade of Paterno's tenure. After going through the first two years of barely over .500 winning, and dealing with the last of the sanction depth issues, it seems like they've turned the corner. Winning the B1G this year was probably a season or two earlier than could have been realistically expected. The team is pretty well set for next year. On offense, the only starter that won't have eligibility next year is the center. Everyone else can come back. Barkley can't leave until after next year and other than maybe Chris Godwin I don't think any of the rest of them are either ready, or good enough, to declare for the draft. Maybe Gesicki, but he had a terrible season in 2015 so he might be counseled to come back for his sr year and prove this year wasn't a fluke. On defense, only starters Evan Schwan, Brandon Bell, and Malik Golden are out of eligibility.

Bigger risk to them for next season is if OC Joe Moorehead leaves. Never heard of him before he was hired, but he's been a perfect fit.

I don't think Rhule was viewed as Franklin's successor.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:45 PM   #141
cuervo72
Head Coach

I would never say never, but that would be hard for me to envision too. It's not his alma mater, but it's basically his own back yard and it seems like he's going to recruit well there. I don't see what would be in it for him to move to Oregon.

edit: yeah, other than money, but I kinda think PSU would be able to cover that, too

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-06-2016 at 10:46 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:46 PM   #142
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, seems like wishful thinking on the part of Oregon. I don't see any chance Franklin would ditch Penn State for the Ducks.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #143
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh yeah - I can imagine a few people giving him hell for it if he jumped, too.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:37 AM   #144
Logan
Head Coach

Taggart to Oregon.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:43 AM   #145
MrBug708
Head Coach

Franklin's people earning him a raise as I dont think Oregon had him as a candidate either way. I know the dream was Chip, but that was a tough call, he needed to do a Petrino and that wasn't going to happen, so they couldnt risk waiting too much longer. Taggert is a good fit, though expecting him to reach a Chip level of dominance in the PNW is foolish, UW fans can rest at ease
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #146
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Taggart to Oregon.

I don't see him looking good in Nike apparel, while working up a "Number 6"

Old 12-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #147
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I dont see Taggart as a PNW guy.I hope I am wrong because I like him a lot. Had dinner with he and his wife earlier this year, actually. Great guy.

Wish he would have taken the Miami job last year. In South Florida he would have been a force.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #148
Logan
Head Coach

Figured he had some connections there from his time at Stanford.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #149
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I dont see Taggart as a PNW guy.I hope I am wrong because I like him a lot. Had dinner with he and his wife earlier this year, actually. Great guy.

Wish he would have taken the Miami job last year. In South Florida he would have been a force.

You don't have to be a PNW guy to succeed in the PNW. You just have to be able to recruit in California.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #150
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Taggart is an intriguing hire for them. I expect he'll recruit well. The bigger question is what he'll be able to do with that talent. Be interesting to see what kind of staff he builds too.