Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2005, 12:44 PM   #101
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The patch did fix my problem connecting, so I got to play some last night.

I've found that with the medic you can get a good amount of team points healing people.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:23 PM   #102
Blade
College Prospect

Yah, I was mainly a medic when I first started the game...you definitely get some good points for healing and reviving...

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #103
Coder
College Prospect

After struggling some with getting the game to actually recognize that I have the DVD in my DVD-player, I good my first taste of this heck of a game the other night. I'm speechless.. wow.. I've mostly been playing singleplayer so far to get used to the controls and learn a bit about the maps, but the game runs very well on my 3 year old machine (2Ghz Intel, 1 Gb RAM, 128Mb Radeon 9600).

The potential for this game is just awesome.. been a bit disappointed in the few multiplayer outings I've had though.. maybe it's just me but squadleaders don't seem to want to get their squads working together etc.. no orders coming.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:34 PM   #104
Blade
College Prospect

Yah, the game takes on a whole new level of fun when you get a commander who works well with the squad leaders, and squad leaders who are good at commanding the squad. I think I have been in all over 2 of those types of games in over 13 hours of gameplay so far...too bad...may have to join a clan to get that type of experience more regularly.

Old 07-09-2005, 06:20 PM   #105
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Seems that 2nd tracking site I used is a bit slow. I earned two badges last night, Anti-tank and Resupply and only the anti-tank one is showing up. I also played on the Gulf of Oman map and it is not listing me as playing there (I think that's the map where I earned the resupply badge, so I guess it is related).

And will the enemy stop moving around so I can knife them! I want a knife combat badge.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:19 PM   #106
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Are you guys playing together yet? Game sounds really good, thinking about getting it myself.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:50 PM   #107
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Nope, still seperate. Well at least in my case. That 2nd tracking site is messed up, I've been promoted to PFC, which the first tracker correctly shows.

I've also had a problem about badges not saving. Yesterday, I earned the Basic Resupply (again), Basic Knife Combat (w00t!), Basic Sniper Combat, Basic First Aid, and Basic Combat Medic. None of those are showing up now. I know most of those I earned playing on a Gamespot Gamecenter server, so maybe they're the problem.

Also EA said they're going to release a fix for the patch, which if you didn't know the new patch causes a memory leak.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:50 PM   #108
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

dola

Using to shock paddles to kill someone is awesome.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:12 PM   #109
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I'll probably wait 1 month before getting this game. Then the fun can begin!!!
Old 07-10-2005, 08:13 PM   #110
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Good...I'm d/ling the 546 MB demo as we speak.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:04 PM   #111
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW

Also EA said they're going to release a fix for the patch, which if you didn't know the new patch causes a memory leak.

what exactly is a memory leak? what does this leak do?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:51 PM   #112
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
what exactly is a memory leak? what does this leak do?
Tremendous lag experienced while online. I've ran into it a few times -- the servers that I were on ended up rebooting every so often. I'm still using the v1.01 patch that was released a couple of days ago or so, and when I 'quit' the program, there's a bit of a 'hang' for a short while.

I've also noticed that sometimes VOIP doesn't seem to work. I know I've got my microphone plugged in correctly (using a headset), and that it worked before...but on some servers, I've noticed that I get absolutely nothing. Some other folks have been experiencing this problem too -- and I'm not sure if it's because of this v1.01 patch or not.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 07-10-2005 at 09:55 PM.
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:54 PM   #113
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
Are you guys playing together yet? Game sounds really good, thinking about getting it myself.

I haven't ran into anyone from FOFC on the servers. I only play on ranked servers right now, just about 100 points away from Lance Corporal. I'm really itching to unlock another weapon.

I have, however, played with a friend in our own squad, but that was for a short while only.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-10-2005, 09:54 PM   #114
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I DL'ed the demo and got it installed just fine...but my PC reboots every time I go to start the demo Makes me sad. My PC is just above min. requirements. My PC had this problem when I got it 2 yrs ago (buddies built it for me). My PC would randomly reboot. We underclocked it and that fixed the problem. It hasn't resurfaced until BF2. This game sounds super-neat, but dunno if I wanna upgrade the system to play it.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:51 AM   #115
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
I haven't ran into anyone from FOFC on the servers. I only play on ranked servers right now, just about 100 points away from Lance Corporal. I'm really itching to unlock another weapon.

I finally reached Lance Corporal yesterday...so I celebrated by getting my ass handed to me for the rest of the day...kill to death ratio getting worse and worse...

Old 07-11-2005, 10:12 AM   #116
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade
I finally reached Lance Corporal yesterday...so I celebrated by getting my ass handed to me for the rest of the day...kill to death ratio getting worse and worse...

I should be Lance Corporal by now, but I figure it'll take a day or so for the servers to go through the process. I've managed to get some duplicate medals -- but you're seriously right about the kill to death ratio thing. There are times when I'm on a map (and I'm sure this could be better alleviated if I played more single player to get used to the maps) when I'm just getting killed out of no where!

I won't complain too much, there have been times when I've discovered the opposing teams' players hanging out around spawn points for the flags. Luckily, I spawned just behind them to take them out -- and I'm leery of using the same tactic against them. Whether it's camping or not, playing in a squad has been quite the blast for me this far.

Though, I do take more enjoyment out of launching some missiles from the ground, and taking out half the crew of a huey.

EDIT: On a side note, here's a link to one of those Battlefield 2 Stat Retriever programs somebody has been working on.

http://brian.temptationsmovie.com/
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 07-11-2005 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:50 PM   #117
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
I won't complain too much, there have been times when I've discovered the opposing teams' players hanging out around spawn points for the flags. Luckily, I spawned just behind them to take them out -- and I'm leery of using the same tactic against them. Whether it's camping or not, playing in a squad has been quite the blast for me this far.

From what I have seen, you will only get accused of camping when you sit at a Spawn point that cannot be taken...I have a few deaths that way because of some jackasses...

Old 07-11-2005, 09:26 PM   #118
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Has anyone found a good server that they enjoy playing on that actually incorporates team work? I log in, join a squad and that's about as far as the teamwork factor goes for the rest of the night. Nobody talks, none of the commanders or squad leaders give orders and it's just frustrating. I really, really want to get into a game where all of it is clicking and I can have the excellent time I know I can have.

By the way, talk about harsh. I've been playing for almost a week straight now and I'm not even half way through the "Private" rank, sheesh. I can't imagine what kind of time this game is going to take, but I'm geeked, and I'm having a blast so far, I just know this game can be so, so much better.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:54 PM   #119
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan10
Has anyone found a good server that they enjoy playing on that actually incorporates team work? I log in, join a squad and that's about as far as the teamwork factor goes for the rest of the night. Nobody talks, none of the commanders or squad leaders give orders and it's just frustrating. I really, really want to get into a game where all of it is clicking and I can have the excellent time I know I can have.

By the way, talk about harsh. I've been playing for almost a week straight now and I'm not even half way through the "Private" rank, sheesh. I can't imagine what kind of time this game is going to take, but I'm geeked, and I'm having a blast so far, I just know this game can be so, so much better.

For me, mostly UK servers. Though, I've been playing a lot on O$$ (Old School Soldiers, I think) where the majority of the people on my team were in squads actually doing something!
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-12-2005, 12:08 AM   #120
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
From what I have seen, you will only get accused of camping when you sit at a Spawn point that cannot be taken...I have a few deaths that way because of some jackasses...

Just happened to me tonight. That one man, 'Strike at Kaarkland' or something -- the one where the MEC is trying to regain the TV station from the US. There's 3 spawn points you can start from when you're MEC, all alongside the west. In any case, the middle one on the left (from top to bottom) has this tank that the allies have apparently been taking and using against us.

In the end -- armored vehicles, and apaches are no match against APCs and a bunch of guys trying to bolt for cover upon spawning at one of the non-capturable points.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-12-2005, 12:17 AM   #121
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I just got the game tonight, I'm "Vexro", possibly the worse player ever
Old 07-12-2005, 01:34 AM   #122
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan10

I would figure clan servers would be the best but you might not be able to join the squad because they'll lock them for clan members only.

I don't have a mic but when I'm leading a squad, I do try to update our objectives (attack a certain point, defend it) and will usually accept any orders from the commander.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:24 AM   #123
Blade
College Prospect

We really need to try to get something for FOFC going...whether we suck or not, at least we can work on our teamwork and actually have some fun...

Old 07-12-2005, 09:25 AM   #124
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I'll be free tonight from about 6:30PM CST on.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:43 AM   #125
Blade
College Prospect

I know a lot of people probably use the in game VoIP, but something a friend of mine does is run a teamspeak server so that we can log in there and meet, so that we can organize and play together. Might be something for us to try, since there is no buddy list function in the game...

Old 07-12-2005, 10:57 AM   #126
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
I know a lot of people probably use the in game VoIP, but something a friend of mine does is run a teamspeak server so that we can log in there and meet, so that we can organize and play together. Might be something for us to try, since there is no buddy list function in the game...

teamspeak looks very complicated, to me.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-12-2005, 11:12 AM   #127
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
teamspeak looks very complicated, to me.

In terms of the server, or the client? The client is very easy to use...install, put in the server IP address, and voila!

Old 07-12-2005, 11:25 AM   #128
Flasch186
Coordinator

i guess looking at their site it looked complicated. I did not download it and run it PLUS if you run that you cant communicate with the people in the game via the ingame VOIP so its like dividing up the masses.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-12-2005, 11:42 AM   #129
Blade
College Prospect

Yah, that is the only issue...I only suggest it as a way to gather, though it would mean no VoIP in game...

Only a thought. It would have been much better if they had implemented buddy lists in game, though.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:48 AM   #130
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
We really need to try to get something for FOFC going...whether we suck or not, at least we can work on our teamwork and actually have some fun...

I wonder if it's possible to have more than just the 6 max people per squad. The custom squad, perhaps? In any case, I'm down. Just provide a list of potential servers, and I'll see if any FOFC player name tags are listed when I scroll through them tonight.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-12-2005, 11:49 AM   #131
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
i guess looking at their site it looked complicated. I did not download it and run it PLUS if you run that you cant communicate with the people in the game via the ingame VOIP so its like dividing up the masses.

I used to play with some buddies using TeamSpeak for Far Cry. Problem is, it worked 1 out of 3 times we tried it. The client's easy to use, sure...but the server thing really pissed me off tremendously. Among the 3 of us, one of us had to be the 'host', and I ended up getting picked to be it since I had a slightly faster machine at the time.

Never got it working right, despite the router tweaks and ports and all that other jazz. It's free, for a price of frustration, I guess. My opinion, of course.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-12-2005, 11:51 AM   #132
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
I know a lot of people probably use the in game VoIP

On a side note -- VoIP hasn't been working for me as of late. I don't know if it's because of that v1.01 patch or not, but I don't hear much from anyone and vice versa. Is everyone still playing on that v1.01 patch? I still am -- I have no inclination of re-installing BF2 to revert back to the original version.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #133
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I think I'm going to wait on the patch:

http://digg.com/gaming/EA_Recalls_Ba...d_2_1.01_patch

Do we all have to be on the same version to play though?
Old 07-12-2005, 12:03 PM   #134
Blade
College Prospect

I have still been using the 1.01 patch, as I haven't had too many issues with it.

As for teamspeak, I am not sure if there is a newer version, but the server my friend is running has been quite stable...

Old 07-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #135
Coder
College Prospect

I went ahead and created a new profile.. i sucked so bad anyway so no big deal.. had about 2 hours of playtime on my old profile and 55 points or so.. I'm now CoderFOFC.. so that if you ever stumble upon my royal suckiness somewhere you'll see that I'm really from here.. feel free to pretend you don't know who I am .

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #136
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
I think I'm going to wait on the patch:

http://digg.com/gaming/EA_Recalls_Ba...d_2_1.01_patch

Do we all have to be on the same version to play though?

I believe so. There's the "Same Version Only" internet filter during the search for servers, and if you have that checked off, the ones that are incompatible show up in red.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #137
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I guess I'll try to find the file tonight then. Seems all the d/l sites have it blocked.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:15 AM   #138
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Is anyone playing late tonight? What server?
Old 07-13-2005, 01:31 AM   #139
hukarez
College Starter

I've been spending most of the day playing on a server called "InternetMovies.com"...seems to be one of the few that's less than 100 ping for me. I'll probably spend more time later tomorrow playing the game when I get back -- right now, my eyes feel like they're bleeding.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-13-2005, 05:27 AM   #140
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Got 2 more badges tonight, Combat Medic and Basic Resupply (it finally stayed!)

I now have a positive k/d ratio while using the knife. No knife combat badge yet.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:26 AM   #141
Flasch186
Coordinator

im getting lag issues almost every game now, it stinks.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-13-2005, 09:28 AM   #142
Blade
College Prospect

I just need to find time to play lately...damn real life commitments...

Got on for 20 minutes this morning, but I hope to get at least an hour in tonight.

I am falling behind in badges...have a ways to catch up to you, Taz...

Old 07-13-2005, 01:38 PM   #143
hukarez
College Starter

I actually managed to be the commander for a round yesterday. It was pretty cool -- lots of things happening, and I had trouble figuring out to 'zoom out' after 'zooming in' on the action.

What was really cool were a couple of squads actually following orders. We still lost, and it took me sometime to figure out how to forewarn squads of artillery strikes that I was sending out, but by the end, I can see why most folks wouldn't mind being the commander.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-13-2005, 01:45 PM   #144
Blade
College Prospect

I haven't been able to try it yet...been reluctant to put my name in for election.

I will have to try it sometime...there is a good commander guide here:

hxxp://www.webturd.com/modules.php?name=BFGuides&file=Commander

Old 07-13-2005, 03:34 PM   #145
hukarez
College Starter

I think for me, the confidence booster was that no one had initiated a vote for mutiny against me.

Still, it was an enjoyable experience -- and I would've done it again, but someone of a higher rank had applied and was defaulted to commander in the following round.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-13-2005, 03:50 PM   #146
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I am falling behind in badges...have a ways to catch up to you, Taz...

Yeah, but you have medals. I haven't gotten a medal yet and I'm not really sure how to get one. All I have are the badges and 1 ribbon.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:56 PM   #147
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I think there is a search player feature:

I'm Qwikes
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 04:04 PM   #148
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
Yeah, but you have medals. I haven't gotten a medal yet and I'm not really sure how to get one. All I have are the badges and 1 ribbon.

The medals I know of are the Gold, Silver, and Bronze stars, and the purple heart. The stars are won by coming in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd at the end of a round, and the purple heart is won by having over 20 deaths, at least 5 kills, and 4x deaths over kills...

Old 07-13-2005, 09:31 PM   #149
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The medals I know of are the Gold, Silver, and Bronze stars, and the purple heart. The stars are won by coming in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd at the end of a round, and the purple heart is won by having over 20 deaths, at least 5 kills, and 4x deaths over kills...

4 times as many kills??

Well, I guess I won't be getting a purple heart. I don't die that much.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:46 PM   #150
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
4 times as many kills??

Well, I guess I won't be getting a purple heart. I don't die that much.
Something like that. I was surprised when I was awarded mine -- happens during the game. Then again, I pick the wrong places to spawn at after 3 hours of left-pinky numbing gaming.

Most of my deaths, however, I attribute to people reviving me while the tank/buggy/vehicle/etc.. that shredded me in the first place is still in the area. Of course, I end up dying twice in succession...bleh.

EDIT:

FYI -- GameCenter.com West #4 gets a big thumbs up from me. Packed with 32 v 32, didn't experience any lag in all the rounds I played there. Best of all, the squad I was with kept together and was actually doing teamwork.

Of course, we all died together after an APC mowed us down while we were trying to sneak around the corner...but it was fun nonetheless!
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 07-13-2005 at 09:48 PM.