Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-29-2008, 02:07 AM   #101
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
The game really doesn't play anything like WoW. It looks similiar, but that is because blizzard copied Warhammers art many years ago.

The gameplay itself is very PVP focused. In fact you can level your character to 40, by just PVPing. You can even get good drops off of people you kill.

And just to sooth people's minds here.. you don't "steal" these drops, so you can't lose any items by PVPing.. also, we're not talking free for all PVP. PVP, or RVR as they call it, means you can only attack people from a different realm.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:56 AM   #102
law90026
College Benchwarmer

The game started out well for me.

But it's lost its shine after a couple of weeks, in part because it's really a grind disguised in a different fashion. I really can't see what the point is at end-game for WAR (though I guess the same could be said for other MMORPGs) and that has made me lose interest dramatically.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #103
Capital
High School Varsity

I really don't think there's an "end game" in any MMORPG. To me, you "win" the game with that particular character just by getting to the last level. I'm playing the game and enjoying it but you really need to like PvP or, mostly RvR (which to me is more fun than PvP) to play this game.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #104
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

I'm enjoying this game too except for some of the guild requirements..ventrilo needed? pfft......havent found a single guild that didnt have this requirement. Maybe not looking correctly
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #105
sabotai
General Manager

I'd imagine it would be really hard to run an organized guild without ventrillo, teamspeak, or any other program that allows voice communications. Any guild I've been in that had this requirement didn't require people to talk over, just to have it so they could hear the "orders" from the people running the raids (or whatever the large group of people were doing).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:30 PM   #106
Lonnie
High School Varsity

We don't require ventrillo, but we do use it occasionally. I can type fast so it doesn't matter to me usually.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #107
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

i hate all those things.. tried it once. It takes the away from the immersion when you hear the hot elf chick scream in a very deep manly voice for his wife to shut the screaming rugrat up..... or the short stubby dwarven guardian giving orders in a nasaly 10 year old voice... please.. never again
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #108
astrosfan64
College Prospect

We have a vent server but don't require people to talk on it. The goal is to generally just have vent running so when we do raids or PVP the leaders can give orders. Someone else mentioned that.

Daily use of vent is really left up to the individual person. Most of our core guild are friends that have played together for 10 years. So we actually socialize while we are playing the game.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #109
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
I really don't think there's an "end game" in any MMORPG. To me, you "win" the game with that particular character just by getting to the last level. I'm playing the game and enjoying it but you really need to like PvP or, mostly RvR (which to me is more fun than PvP) to play this game.

I disagree that there isn't an "endgame" in MMORPGs. Whether it's sieges in WAR or T6 in WoW, there is an "endgame" though that finish line will change over time.

I think what I was trying to get at is that I'm not sure I see a point to WAR's end-game per se besides taking part in large-scale RvR. At least in WoW, my end-game was finishing the highest level instance and gearing my character up.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #110
Lonnie
High School Varsity

The WAR endgame will be sacking the opponents city in a large raid. I suppose it will reset afterwards, but have not gotten that far yet so I can't say for sure.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #111
Yellow5
High School Varsity

All of my chars are on Skull Thorne, where my guild resides.

If any of you ever end up on that server let me know. Our guild has been around since DAOC started and we've migrated to Warhammer now.

My primary char is Azador, destruction all the way, playing as Chosen.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #112
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I have a L9 Dwarf Ironbreaker (Early on, I was thinking "What a gimped class".. then I got the snaring blow and then Heavy blow.. POWER UP!) but it's on Skavenblight, which is so low population right now that I spent an hour waiting for a battlefield to open.. any battlefield.. none did.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:35 AM   #113
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I've had long waits like that in Tier 3 scenarios, but the Tier 1 scenarios I usually get into within a couple of minutes on Iron Rock.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #114
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I played for the second time last night, got my little greenskin Shaman up to rank 5. I had a lot more fun this time. I tried an RVR scenario, and it was kind of fun but seemed the same as a WoW Battleground to me. However, what really roped me in was a Public Quest that I stumbled across. I really liked how it had a little storyline and sort of unfolded naturally. I grouped up with a handful of other people in the area and we handled it pretty well. I actually did it a second time just to see everything from the start, since I came in near the end on the first time.

I still don't really understand exactly what these Public Quests are, but I enjoyed that one, and it allowed me to get some special gear and stuff. I'm really getting into the Tome of Knowledge as well, that is just a fantastic idea. I think this game has a shot at roping me in now.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #115
Coder
College Prospect

I just wanted to pipe in that I disagree with law90026's assesment about an end-game. To me, the Warhammer (and definately DAoC) end game is more equal to online FPS games from an entertainment aspect. It's not longer about levelling and getting "itamz", it's about having fun "fighting". At least that's always how I saw it.

The difference between WAR/DAoC and these FPSs is that you really "build" your character for these fights with skills/abilities/gear. But even if you can continue building, the end game isn't about that, it's about the fighting.

Now, if that's not "your cup of tea", then maybe the War end game isn't for you, but as opposed to DAoC, then "way to the end" is still a bunch of fun.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #116
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm still playing. I need to join that guild on Iron Breaker. I just hate typing, since I'm bad at it, and once I join the guild I'm going to have to do it more often. I have to be looking at the keyboard when I type (about 35-40 wpm), so that makes it hard to play at the same time.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #117
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Don't worry about having to type because you are in a guild. I know when I am RvRing, I don't have time to type very much myself just due to paying attention to the fighting. I've know a lot of people that don't type much, but still contribute quite a bit.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #118
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Downloading the patches right now... anything firm up regarding which server to play on?

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #119
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Don't think so, everyone is spread out. If you end up on Iron Rock then give me a tell and I'll get you in our guild there, Righteous Order. We just dinged guild level 7 so we're doing ok. I'm usually on as Londar or Barrington. If you don't see me just send a tell to anyone in the guild and tell them I sent you.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #120
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Don't think so, everyone is spread out. If you end up on Iron Rock then give me a tell and I'll get you in our guild there, Righteous Order. We just dinged guild level 7 so we're doing ok. I'm usually on as Londar or Barrington. If you don't see me just send a tell to anyone in the guild and tell them I sent you.

Does race matter?

Old 10-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #121
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Oh we are Order, so you can be any dwarf, empire, or high elf.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #122
Bonegavel

I have a level 9 Shadow SomethingOrOther High Elf Babe ready for her invite. I /tell'd you as Londar yesterday but you didn't seem to be on. I'll keep trying.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #123
Bonegavel

Well, I'm liking this a billion times more than WoW and, while not perfect, it is a decent distraction. I'm doing all the quests I can and it was very confusing at first (having come from CoH) but I think I have a handle on things.

Can't wait to join the guild.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #124
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Sorry, I was probably on as Barrington if I was on. I am 27 with Londar and waiting for some folks to catch up so we can do guild runs, so was leveling Barrington. We'll get you in soon.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:35 PM   #125
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I've created a Rune Priest on Iron Rock named Roonii, I'd like to join the guild if you guys need someone like that.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 10-06-2008, 11:47 PM   #126
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Ok got Fidatelo. Bonegavel, what is your characters name? I'll try to keep a look out for you.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #127
Bonegavel

Quote:
Ok got Fidatelo. Bonegavel, what is your characters name? I'll try to keep a look out for you.

Valrhain

Old 10-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #128
Bonegavel

I'm on now and i'm just getting crickets.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #129
Bonegavel

Logged into Iron Rock as Valrhain, give me a tell if you get on in the next hour or so.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #130
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm Bandy, a White Lion on Iron Rock. I've decided (for now) on that as my main for now.

Send an invite if you need me!! I'll be on for a while today, and then it's my weekend for the next 3 days, so I should be on a lot.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #131
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Ok Schmidty, I got Bonegavel, so I'll keep an eye out for Bandy now.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:13 AM   #132
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm enjoying the game so far - plenty of PVP action and the public quests are fun.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #133
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Is it just me, or is Iron Rock a pretty dead server? I was playing in Dwarf Chapter 2 last night and hardly ever saw another live player around me. I couldn't complete even the second stage of any of the PQs because I had no one to group with. Kind of disappointing.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #134
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Is it just me, or is Iron Rock a pretty dead server? I was playing in Dwarf Chapter 2 last night and hardly ever saw another live player around me. I couldn't complete even the second stage of any of the PQs because I had no one to group with. Kind of disappointing.

I think most people are in a "race to max level" mode. Since I only play a few times a week, I've noticed that the number of people around me is quickly declining. Either that, or the game is losing a lot players shortly after launch, but I doubt that's the case.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #135
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

They've added a hot fix, certain servers will be offering a 20% bonus to XP & Renown to level things out between servers
Old 10-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #136
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

This is pretty much a complaint about Warhammer right now I think, i.e. if there isn't sufficient population mass, a chunk of the game becomes inaccessible. Having said that, it's also a similar issue for most, if not all, MMORPGs.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #137
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
This is pretty much a complaint about Warhammer right now I think, i.e. if there isn't sufficient population mass, a chunk of the game becomes inaccessible. Having said that, it's also a similar issue for most, if not all, MMORPGs.

I suppose, but I heard that they have something like 500,000 subscribers so far. It seems to me that if they have low-pop servers at this point, it means they started off with too many servers.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:27 PM   #138
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I think most people are playing in Tier 2 (rank 12-21) At least that's where I see the most. The people that are going back and rolling alts are blowing through the first 11 levels and there seems to be a lot of action in the tier 2 scenarios.

btw it seems the patch screwed some stuff up. Guild chat is not accessible, and my friends and ignore list are gone. Hopefully they get that fixed here soon.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #139
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
btw it seems the patch screwed some stuff up. Guild chat is not accessible, and my friends and ignore list are gone. Hopefully they get that fixed here soon.

I'm not having any problems with guild chat, maybe that's only affecting certain mods and/or settings changes?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 PM   #140
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Actually it looks like it is only certain servers and Iron Rock is one of them.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:03 AM   #141
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I played for an hour or so last night, I didn't have access to anything within the guild either (in fact, it appeared that I was no longer in one). Then all of the sudden I got a little message telling me to go somewhere safe and log out because they were going to be doing emergency maintenance on the server. Shortly thereafter, the server went down. So hopefully that fixed up the issues on Iron Rock.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:15 AM   #142
Capital
High School Varsity

I'm not having a problem with server population at all. I can sign up for a RvR and have a game within 5 minutes (at the most). I'm playing in both the 1-11 and 12-21 stages.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #143
condors
College Starter

installed and downloading patches...
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #144
condors
College Starter

and crashing right to the desktop
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #145
Radii
Head Coach

I'm on one of the servers getting a 20% XP bonus(Ulthuan Order side). Its pretty apparent how unbalanced the population is, as Destruction generally controls every single keep in every single tier. There's some back and forth in tier 4 as Order groups at level 40 form up to take keeps sometimes, but as I've leveled through tier 2 and tier 3 myself, I am used to destruction owning all 6 keeps in any given tier. If I am in a full group, pvp queue lists are less than 60 seconds. When I'm playing solo and queue solo, the scenario pops often instantly, and almost always within 10 seconds between 6pm-2am or so.

A buddy of mine made a level 1 alt last night and said that wait times for t1 pvp were 10+ minutes b/c tons of people seem to be making Order chars for the bonus xp.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #146
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I just played over lunch, and everywhere I went was a ghost town. I wandered through the contested areas scouting keeps (I guess, I'm still learning all about this stuff as I'm only level 7) for almost an hour and never came across another player, be it ally or enemy. There did not appear to be anyone in the PQ areas I passed through. I saw a couple people at Redhammer Inn, and once there appeared to be 1 guy with an Open Party about 200 seconds away from me (I had checked several times).

I didn't try to get into a battleground (or whatever they are called), but if that is where all the RvR is taking place I may as well just be playing WoW. I know it's lunch time, but it still felt crazy dead.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #147
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

So, how is it comparing to WoW?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:17 PM   #148
Radii
Head Coach

Leveling seems more of a grind to me in this game, and I really cannot explain why. As a buddy pointed out to me, we're on pace to hit 40 in about 4 days /played, much less than the time it took to hit max level in WoW at release. But it seems horribly slow.

While up to 40 scenarios is the entire focus of rvr, that will change at 40. One thing I learned yesterday that I like a lot is that if one side takes enough keeps to be able to attack the other realm's capital, scenarios shut down until the open rvr battles are resolved. I think Mythic has put a number of things in place to funnel the open rvr to just a few areas at a time, avoiding some of the problems DAOC had where often you just had armies running around taking undefended keeps with no rvr combat at all.

Short answer: I'm having less fun leveling in this game than I usually do, but my hopes are still quite high for the endgame pvp.

Last edited by Radii : 10-13-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #149
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
So, how is it comparing to WoW?

Ignoring any sort of mechanics, I think the very simple answer is that if you want to pvp, unless you simply *love* the WoW Arena system, you play Warhammer. If you want pve raids, then WoW is still where its at.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #150
Bonegavel

I got the .99 WoW disc at best buy (month free?) and couldn't stand it. I had recently come off of City of Heroes (which was only fun with friends).

Coming from a non-fan of WoW, I am enjoying WAR so far but wish there were more FOFC folks logged in and Guilded up. I signed on for a few months and will give it a fair shot, but so far I've played this Waaaaaay more than WoW which I almost uninstalled the first day.