Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #101
heybrad
Norm!!!

I've played a couple of games now and I really enjoy it. Having the play diagrams on the floor really helps although I still have to work for it. I was the Lakers and it felt like the Lakers (Kobe, Odom and 10 piles of crap).

It felt like Houston was really trying to push the ball inside and when they did, Yao abused Bynum, Kwame and Mihm. And true to form, my big men couldn't finish a play to save their lives.

One minor annoyance that happned about 3 times... when returning from a stoppage of play, the ref would hold the ball and start pointing down to the other end of the court while we waited for him to hand over the ball. He'd never hand it over. I paused the game and when coming back he finally gave it up.

I could see the ticker being useful on a Saturday afternoon to get football scores. That was kind of cool.

I can see that the play by play will be a bit repetitive. Just about every time Kobe scored they talked about how disgruntled he is. HA!
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #102
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
I can see that the play by play will be a bit repetitive. Just about every time Kobe scored they talked about how disgruntled he is. HA!

I don't know, that's pretty much exactly what we'll hear each time he scores this coming season.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:58 AM   #103
TroyF
Coordinator

I'm liking it a lot. Having a problem with fast breaks as the Nuggets. (as in not nearly enough of them) That'll probably be a slider tweak. (or I might just get more as I get more comfortable with the defense) As usual, it's imperitive you work for good shots and make sure you aren't a moron.

One note: the manual sucks ass. Go to Operation Sports forums for a listing of the iso moves, the triple threat moves and the post up moves.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #104
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
One note: the manual sucks ass. Go to Operation Sports forums for a listing of the iso moves, the triple threat moves and the post up moves.

ooof, i thought it was just me. if you read the back of the box it tells you about all these signature moves and whatnot, and you look at the manual and it hardly mentions what you can do.

you have a link?

one thing i noticed was if you play blacktop version (i started a quick 3 on 3 game just to get the timing and buttons down), if you press B the ballhandlers (i guess the ones with the good handling skills) will do funkier moves akin to what you'd see in a "And One" video. nothing you'd see in a NBA game (you can't do those moves if you play NBA mode), but i like how since it's more of a "street" setting they give you the option to do crazier moves.

question - why would i use to shoot button instead of the shot stick? what's the difference between using either? i thought i would like the play diagram on the floor, but i found myself looking at the floor more for the directions than watching/playing the game. to me it makes it too "paint by numbers". you have to go to a precise spot on the floor in order for the play diagram to activate, and i don't want to run the risk of not ad-libbing a play to find the open man/mismatch just cuz i'm looking at the floor more than the players. it's a good idea in theory.

Last edited by Anthony : 10-03-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #105
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
i thought i would like the play diagram on the floor, but i found myself looking at the floor more for the directions than watching/playing the game. to me it makes it too "paint by numbers". you have to go to a precise spot on the floor in order for the play diagram to activate, and i don't want to run the risk of not ad-libbing a play to find the open man/mismatch just cuz i'm looking at the floor more than the players. it's a good idea in theory.
That's kind of what I thought made it cool. In real life I'd imagine they're only running a real play maybe half the time. The other half is a bit of improvising based on what the defense is doing. I found myself having moments where I'd feel like... "Just settle down and run the play" and other times I'd see a lane and just drive, quickly see the mismatch or whatever.

Last edited by heybrad : 10-03-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #106
Anthony
Banned

that's cool, but you have to be in a certain spot on the floor for it to activate. i didn't realize that until i noticed that once i hovered a player over a blue circle the play diagram appeared. i thought it'd be more something like you hit a button and no matter where you are on the floor that's where the play starts and you see the diagram on the floor.

still, it's better than nothing. i'm just setting my playcalling to auto, and take what the defense gives me. i used to be a manual play call type of guy, but auto playcall works just as well.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #107
heybrad
Norm!!!

I agree that it is a little unforgiving in the sense that the blue circle you need to be in isn't that big. I'd rather see it where you need to just be in a general area.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #108
TroyF
Coordinator

HA,

I don't have access to the site at work, but I'll post the moves tonight.

I need to play around with some sliders and get better fast breaks. Everything else is incredible.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #109
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
I agree that it is a little unforgiving in the sense that the blue circle you need to be in isn't that big. I'd rather see it where you need to just be in a general area.

exactly. make it so that you just need to be at the top of the key rather than rather than a precise spot at the top of the key. minor gripe, again, cuz what we have is better than nothing.

i like the movements of the players. very human-like. not herky-jerky or robotic.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #110
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
HA,

I don't have access to the site at work, but I'll post the moves tonight.

i have access and i tried to find it but couldn't. if you could remember where it was i'll post the link here for everyone else.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:54 PM   #111
TroyF
Coordinator

A thread titled ISO moves or something like that. I think the guy who started it had his name start with God.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #112
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
That is very odd. There weren't any noticable bugs like that last year. I'm still looking forward to trying this out on Thursday which is the first day I'll have the free time as Mrs. EF's birthday is tonight.

Big plans?

Anyways, what are your impressions (all of the people here) so far?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:53 PM   #113
Calis
College Starter

So far I'm impressed. It's not a giant leap from last year but I don't feel cheated. The biggest thing I've noticed so far is that you really need to work for your shots a lot more than last year. The defense is very tough, unfortunately it doesn't feel like my AI defenders are helping out quite as much, but maybe I'm biased. It's tough to score, but man when you have a superstar and he gets going he's really a force. The computer seems to be smarter about using it's superstars as well, and in general is much better at post play than it was last year. I was just mauled by Ilgauskas....Ilgauskas! I was running a small team though and he was just overpowering guys. I was able to use my speed advantage some as well which you couldn't seem to do last year. Last year it seemed like a big guy would roll over a small defender, but a small guy would have a helluva time getting around a big defender.

The play thing I also am slightly underwhelmed just because of how sensitive it is, so I don't find myself using it as much as I figured I would. I'm still not grasping exactly what the hell lockdown defense does, and I wish they had a new features section that walked you through all the new stuff. I'm sure I'm missing tons of stuff.

I'm really enjoying the highlights for each player at the end of the game, I'm sure I'll stop looking at it at some point but it's a nice feature.

Great animations as well.

I'm happy with it so far though, I've only got three games in so far and two of them were real close, and good games with both teams shooting about 34-35% or so and pretty realistic, and the other one I was completely manhandled in and the computer shot closer to 50% and I was closer to 20%.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #114
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I'm still not grasping exactly what the hell lockdown defense does, and I wish they had a new features section that walked you through all the new stuff. I'm sure I'm missing tons of stuff.
Not knowing for sure (because I agree that the manual is worthless), what it seemed to me last night was that when I pulled the trigger for lock down mode, the game kind of took over the defender. I could still reach for steals but the game was keeping him in front of his man. The one thing that seemed cool (and again, this is only based off of a couple of games and not fully understanding how it should work) was that if I went into lock down with Derek Fisher, he'd back off a bit and do what he could to keep his man in front of him, but he was still giving up the jumper. When I used lock down with Kobe he was all over his man and right up tight on him. I'd assume the defensive ratings decides how the defender reacts in lock down mode.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #115
heybrad
Norm!!!

I was just reading some more about lock on D from the IGN review. The reviewer took Shaq, put him on Lebron and used lock on D and it totally shut down Bron. According to the reviewer (and some at OS) they think it's a game killer which brought the review down to a 7.9.

I don't know about that as I suppose I'd never find myself in the position of putting Shaq on Lebron. I suppose an exploit could be there, but being that I try to play a bit realistically I'd never encounter it.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #116
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I was just reading some more about lock on D from the IGN review. The reviewer took Shaq, put him on Lebron and used lock on D and it totally shut down Bron. According to the reviewer (and some at OS) they think it's a game killer which brought the review down to a 7.9.

I don't know about that as I suppose I'd never find myself in the position of putting Shaq on Lebron. I suppose an exploit could be there, but being that I try to play a bit realistically I'd never encounter it.

I'm doing something wrong I guess. I tried to use the lock down with Chuckie Atkins on Deron Williams last night and was just tore to shreds. Williams would hesitate, bob and weave and still get by. Or he'd pass the ball off and they'd run a play for him. I had no choice but to switch off Diawara on him to try and slow him down. (no, it didn't work) Williams went for 26, Boozer 28 and I lost by 6.

Maybe I'll get better and it'll actually become to big of an advantage. If that happens, I'll just stop using it. Problem solved.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #117
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
I tried to use the lock down with Chuckie Atkins on Deron Williams last night
Maybe our opinions will differ on this but I remember from Chuckie's Laker days that he was basically a turnstyle on defense. He was horrific. From my experience last night, Derek Fisher was pretty bad even with lock down. Kobe on the hand was awesome.

What's Chuckie's defensive rating in the game?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #118
heybrad
Norm!!!

Here's the link to the ISO moves..

http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...d.php?t=222692

And the post...

Quote:
Seems like a lot of people are having trouble getting the hang of isomotion. I'll explain every move and how to do it here.

Basic Crossover. This is just a simple flick of the stick to the side opposite your dribble hand. No trigger required.

In and out. You can do this with any crossover, including the hesitation crossover, and the stutter crossover. This is done by immediately throwing the stick back towards the original dribble hand. So if the balls in your left hand, attempt to crossover right, but b4 the ball actually touches the ground, throw the stick back left. No trigger is required for this.

Step back dribble. This is a pretty easy move, and it can create a little space between you and the defender, you might get enough space for a jumper, you might break some ankles. No trigger is required, simply flick the stick opposite the direction you are moving..

Size up moves. Tapping the L trigger while standing in place will activate a size up move, which can be chained into a drive or crossover. Tapping the R trigger while standing will also activate a stutter size up move, which can also be chained into a drive or crossover.

Stutter. To do a stutter, you simply tap R, and from there you can do a stutter cross, or a stutter drive. Tap R, then hold, and move the stick towards your dribble hand for a stutter drive. Tap R, then throw stick towards off hand for a stutter cross.

Step out/Side step move. This is used to sorta step out and drive around a guy who might be a little too close. You have to be moving to do this. Simply tap L while moving, and your player will attempt to step out and go around his man.

Spin. This can be a little trickier for some. If you do it correctly, it'll always work. This also does not require the use of a trigger. The easiest way to learn the spin, is to chain it with a stutter drive. So stutter drive right, with the stick held down hard right, spin the stick hard left, be sure to make a circle motion, or it wont work.

Ok, here are the advanced moves that require the trigger.

Behind the back. This done the same exact way you do a spin, except your holding R to execute the behind the back.

Half spin. You do this the same way you do the step back move, accept your holding the R (flick stick opposite of moving direction).

Double crossover. This is done the same way you do the in and out (start a crossver, throw stick back to original dribble hand) accept again, your holding R.

Hop Step/Spinning hop step. First off, don't even think about abusing this, because it wont work this year. hahah suckers. To do a step back hop, you simply press triangle or Y while on the perimeter. This creates a little space so that you can possibly get an open jumper. A regular hop step when driving inside, is simply done by pressing triangle or Y. To do a spinning hop step, you hold R and press triangle or Y..

Last move is the hesitation crossover, something that was kinda hard to do at times in 2K7. This is done the same way as last year, but itz much easier to pull of. This requires that you hold both triggers (L and R) and simply flick the stick in the direction of the off hand (hand your not dribbling with)..

I think thats all, if I forgot anything, let me know, or if you need to know something else, just ask...
Old 10-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #119
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Maybe our opinions will differ on this but I remember from Chuckie's Laker days that he was basically a turnstyle on defense. He was horrific. From my experience last night, Derek Fisher was pretty bad even with lock down. Kobe on the hand was awesome.

What's Chuckie's defensive rating in the game?

Chuckie is horrible on D. A complete and total sieve. That's why I was trying to do the lockdown thing to have any chance. I doubt I'd ever use a bigtime defensive player to do the lockdown on. I figure if their defensive rating is high, I shouldn't need to use the feature. With that in mind, it works for me.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #120
TroyF
Coordinator

Following heybrads lead, he is the same poster talking about post and triple threat moves: (the posters name is GodDson770, thanks to him for all of this information)

The post moves are pretty much the same as last years, accept for a few things. Spinning out of the post is done by holding R and flicking the left stick in the direction of the dribble hand. To turn your back to the basket, and have the defender lean on you, press L, when the players back is turned and hes in the post position.

Here are the triple threat moves, which I totally forgot about.

To activate triple threat moves, you hold both trigger. I beleive, once you move a foot, the opposite will be the pivot, so pay attention to that.

Protect ball is done by holding L and R and holding the stick back, you can explode out of this by flicking left or right, and releasing both triggers at the same time.

Jab step is done by flicking the stick opposite the direction of your pivot foot, exploding out of this is done by releasing both triggers, and flicking left or right.

Step in/ step over. Flick stick up to step in to the defender, flick stick towards pivot foot to step over. They are basically the same move, step over takes up more space though.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:33 PM   #121
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Big plans?

Anyways, what are your impressions (all of the people here) so far?

Just went to a nice romantic restaurant for dinner and then a quiet evening at home last night.. Now she is sick with a cold or something. That isn't good for my confidence. However, it does mean that I should be able to play NBA 2k8 in a few minutes.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-03-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #122
Groundhog
Coordinator

I hate everybody who gets to play this game before me.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:15 PM   #123
TroyF
Coordinator

One more note I forgot earlier for those new to the game: Double tap the pass button to throw a lead pass. The break and back door cuts will work a lot better as your guy won't have to stop before he gets the ball.

Tweaked the sliders just a tad. Played a little better. (I dropped computer defensive awareness down a few points) I still love this game. A lot.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:21 PM   #124
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One more note I forgot earlier for those new to the game: Double tap the pass button to throw a lead pass. The break and back door cuts will work a lot better as your guy won't have to stop before he gets the ball.

Tweaked the sliders just a tad. Played a little better. (I dropped computer defensive awareness down a few points) I still love this game. A lot.

I'm halfway through my first game, and I'm just amazed at how good it is playing. The CPU is shooting a bit too well inside and my Sixers are struggling, but I think that is an issue with the lack of talent on the Sixers and not a game issue. All I've changed is bumped up fouls and lowered game speed to 40, and it is playing a very realistic 1st half of basketball. Sixers are down to the Bobcats 44-32.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #125
Galaxy
Coordinator

How's the franchise mode, and presentation of that?
Old 10-03-2007, 10:21 PM   #126
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

On Default All Star sliders, I was just blown out 111-68 as our defense got really sloppy in the 2nd. I tried playing Korver a lot in the 2nd half as he was my one consistent scorer besides Iguodala and he was getting torn up on defense. I tried controlling Korver to see if that could help, and I tried using the "lockdown" mode. It was a joke with Korver as guys were blowing right by him. Mostly against him, Jason Richardson scored 33 as the CPU seemed to try to isolate Korver, our maybe that was just dumb luck. Shrug. I'm looking forward to starting my franchise tomorrow or this weekend. Should be a long first season or two with the Sixers.

The only thing that I saw that I didn't like was that there seems to be a slight hiccup (or maybe it is intentional) that makes hitting the first or two FT's really difficult (the controller also throbs gently which is more distracting to me than the heavy rumbling.) I'll probably lower FT difficulty a bit (it's great that they made this a separate slider) or even turn on "real FT %" for players.

Edit: Dunking truly seems much harder. I only had 3 all game, all of them with Iguodala (including 1 very spectacular reverse.) I really like the post game wrap up which includes the top 3 plays of the game, the hot zone, signature highlights (pick a player and see all of their highlights including rebounds, steals, etc from throughout the game) as well as the player of the game.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-03-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #127
Galaxy
Coordinator

Jeez...I'm betting a high lottery pick is likely.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-03-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:13 PM   #128
Groundhog
Coordinator

I always play with real FT %, mainly because there are too many players with wierd FT animation styles that I can never master.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:44 AM   #129
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I always play with real FT %, mainly because there are too many players with wierd FT animation styles that I can never master.

It's freaking impossible to hit a FT with Drew Gooden.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #130
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Reading threads on OS, it seems like a fair percentage of people are playing on the default pro level. Since, I was crushed by the Bobcats last night on All-Star level, I'm considering dropping down to pro myself tonight or tomorrow (whenever I have a chance to play again.) What level are most of you playing on? Does pro seem to play a "smart" game still?

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-04-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #131
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Reading threads on OS, it seems like a fair percentage of people are playing on the default pro level. Since, I was crushed by the Bobcats last night on All-Star level, I'm considering dropping down to pro myself tonight or tomorrow (whenever I have a chance to play again.) What level are most of you playing on? Does pro seem to play a "smart" game still?

You know I played pretty much exclusively on All-Star last year, but I dropped down to pro to learn the ropes this year and I've had some very good games. I got trounced once even, badly, and the other games have been close.

I think it plays a very good game. Now once I learn the ropes a bit better I will probably need to move up but for now I think Pro plays very well.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:23 PM   #132
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

WHERE THE HELL IS MY XBOX 360??? UP YOURS, MICROSOFT!!!

That damned red ring of death.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:03 PM   #133
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
I think pro plays a good game although I'm getting a bit tired of my own 4th quarter collapses. It's most likely my own suckitude.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #134
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
I think pro plays a good game although I'm getting a bit tired of my own 4th quarter collapses. It's most likely my own suckitude.

I'm actually having the exact opposite effect which I've never had in a basketball game. I've played two games in a row now where I was losing throughout the first 3 quarters, at time badly..and then just really turned it on in the 4th and pulled of the win.

It's nice to be on the other side of that for once.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:46 PM   #135
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm getting my ass handed to me on all star and figure, what the hell, I'll give pro a shot. I start an association with the Nuggets and open against the Sonics. At halftime I'm up 64-42 (10 minute quarters) and I'm thinking to myself "this is ridiculous, I'm going to have to bump it back up." Then I start to struggle scoring. I mean really, really struggle. Some of it is my fault and some of it is just my players coming back down to Earth and missing shots. The Sonics claw back and tie it at 90 with 30 seconds left.

I get the ball in the post with Melo and am able to break free for a score. Durant misses a 14 footer and a eek out a 92-90 win.

I need to bump fouls up a bit (Sonics had 7 foul shots, I had 12, a little low for both) But everything else played great. Durant had 31 points and the CPU ran plays that made sense. I also found some fast breaks that had been lacking on all star and had 12 fast break points. (and others that it didn't call fast break points that actually were, like times I was able to move the ball up the court and get easy shot attempts before the D got set)

I ended the game shooting 52%, they shot 50%. All in all, I was thrilled with it.

A few tweaks to those fouls, maybe slow down the game to 40 or 45 and bump the minutes up to 12 and I have my settings locked in I think.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:54 PM   #136
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...splay.php?f=16
Old 10-05-2007, 07:37 AM   #137
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post

Did you post that link for every console thread we have here or just this one?

Was there a point to it?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:10 AM   #138
Anthony
Banned

i'm getting blown out on Pro level, so that's where i'm gonna stay for now. great game.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:21 AM   #139
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I get the ball in the post with Melo and am able to break free for a score. Durant misses a 14 footer and a eek out a 92-90 win.

I need to bump fouls up a bit (Sonics had 7 foul shots, I had 12, a little low for both) But everything else played great. Durant had 31 points and the CPU ran plays that made sense. I also found some fast breaks that had been lacking on all star and had 12 fast break points. (and others that it didn't call fast break points that actually were, like times I was able to move the ball up the court and get easy shot attempts before the D got set)

I ended the game shooting 52%, they shot 50%. All in all, I was thrilled with it.

A few tweaks to those fouls, maybe slow down the game to 40 or 45 and bump the minutes up to 12 and I have my settings locked in I think.

I'm playing with game speed at 40 and 12 minute quarters, and I think that is going to be very good. Hearing your report as well as everyone else's, I'm just going to dive into my association tonight on pro level. If I start beating too many teams that I shouldn't, I'll bump up to All-Star. In my only game, I had all fouls at 75 and that seemed still too low. I'll probably bump charging up to 100 as I hear there is a lack of offensive fouls and bump everything else up to 80, but I doubt I'm going to need to touch the other sliders much from what I've read here and on OS.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-05-2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:54 AM   #140
Icy
Pro Starter

Grrrrrrr mailman, where the heck is my game??? You know the torture that is to read this thread while waiting for the game? Only Pumpy knows it while he waits for his 360 from microsoft.

Last edited by Icy : 10-05-2007 at 08:55 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #141
Anthony
Banned

this is the 1st time in a LOOOONG time where instead of immediately exiting a game once it's over, i'm actually taking the time to see the highlights and hotspots of some of the players and the top 3 plays of the game. i really do feel like i'm watching an NBA game on TNT or something.

trading is hard. i'm having a very difficult time unloading some of my Knicks' bad contracts. Jerome James, Jeffries and Quentin Richardson are proving hard to get rid of. was trying to get Shawn Marion from the Suns and had i included my 1st round pick they would've shown more interest but since i'm still learning the ropes i'm gonna not do an Isaiah Thomas move and trade a valuable high pick. i'm 0-2 on Pro, was keeping up with the Nuggets but decided to go call it a nite. the stars on each team really do play like stars.

one thing i don't like, and was my gripe for the last version, is when you do the player matchup and you want to double team Lebron, if he moves to another position you'll wind up double teaming the person who takes his spot in the roster. so annoying, i may just wind up going auto matchup on all positions to avoid that.

one great way to go on a roll is to check who's heating up/who's hot. keep feeding them the ball and try to stay away from the guys that are cold. you have to press a certain direction on the D-pad, it'll show who's hot and who's cold. it really works, i had Marbury listed as cold during one stretch and it just wasn't dropping for him. Richardson got cold and while he made one 3 pointer he wound up going 1-6 around the rim. right now i'm trying to get him the rock a lot so i can showcase him and get him off my team.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:44 AM   #142
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
this is the 1st time in a LOOOONG time where instead of immediately exiting a game once it's over, i'm actually taking the time to see the highlights and hotspots of some of the players and the top 3 plays of the game. i really do feel like i'm watching an NBA game on TNT or something.

trading is hard. i'm having a very difficult time unloading some of my Knicks' bad contracts. Jerome James, Jeffries and Quentin Richardson are proving hard to get rid of. was trying to get Shawn Marion from the Suns and had i included my 1st round pick they would've shown more interest but since i'm still learning the ropes i'm gonna not do an Isaiah Thomas move and trade a valuable high pick. i'm 0-2 on Pro, was keeping up with the Nuggets but decided to go call it a nite. the stars on each team really do play like stars.

one thing i don't like, and was my gripe for the last version, is when you do the player matchup and you want to double team Lebron, if he moves to another position you'll wind up double teaming the person who takes his spot in the roster. so annoying, i may just wind up going auto matchup on all positions to avoid that.

one great way to go on a roll is to check who's heating up/who's hot. keep feeding them the ball and try to stay away from the guys that are cold. you have to press a certain direction on the D-pad, it'll show who's hot and who's cold. it really works, i had Marbury listed as cold during one stretch and it just wasn't dropping for him. Richardson got cold and while he made one 3 pointer he wound up going 1-6 around the rim. right now i'm trying to get him the rock a lot so i can showcase him and get him off my team.

Yeah, another one of the joys of the ridiculous documentation, you have no idea what a lot of the things the directional pad does. (BTW, for those interested 2K has said they will be releasing an online manual. I'll keep you posted as to when it is released. I believe some guys on operation sports are planning on some video tutorials as well)

I think it's hitting up on the directional pad that shows the hot/cold guys HA. I usually set everyone to auto until the end of the game. Then I'll pause the game and change those options to make sure who I want is doubled, when I want them doubled.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #143
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, another one of the joys of the ridiculous documentation, you have no idea what a lot of the things the directional pad does. (BTW, for those interested 2K has said they will be releasing an online manual. I'll keep you posted as to when it is released. I believe some guys on operation sports are planning on some video tutorials as well)

I think it's hitting up on the directional pad that shows the hot/cold guys HA. I usually set everyone to auto until the end of the game. Then I'll pause the game and change those options to make sure who I want is doubled, when I want them doubled.

i think one direction will show hot/cold. another direction is for substitutions. another direction is for coaching stuff (crash boards vs. look for the fast break, etc). another direction is for quick plays (offensive and defensive). i just keep forgetting which direction does which, guess it'll take a couple more games to be intuitive.

iso-moves are still very difficult for me. i struggle to do basic crossovers. and post moves? forget it. i can only do the hop-step thing. i suck in this game but it's plays so wonderfully i don't mind losing. besides, i'm the Knicks so it's not like i'm supposed to be blowing teams out.

and i absolutely LOVE that you can sim a game using 12 minute quarters. so you can play 10 min quarters (like i do) if you want, but sim a full game's worth of stats. i may go down to 8 min quarters, it takes just under 1 hour to play a game.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #144
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm playing with game speed at 40 and 12 minute quarters, and I think that is going to be very good. Hearing your report as well as everyone else's, I'm just going to dive into my association tonight on pro level. If I start beating too many teams that I shouldn't, I'll bump up to All-Star. In my only game, I had all fouls at 75 and that seemed still too low. I'll probably bump charging up to 100 as I hear there is a lack of offensive fouls and bump everything else up to 80, but I doubt I'm going to need to touch the other sliders much from what I've read here and on OS.

Long games. How long do they take to play in real time? Look forward to the dynasty reports.

If you play 5 minute quarters, do all the teams play 5 minute quarters? That's one thing I hated about most sports games (they don't adjust to the same playing time, creating stat problems).

You'll be able to import the players from the college hoops game to the NBA game this year, correct?
Old 10-05-2007, 12:58 PM   #145
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Long games. How long do they take to play in real time? Look forward to the dynasty reports.

If you play 5 minute quarters, do all the teams play 5 minute quarters? That's one thing I hated about most sports games (they don't adjust to the same playing time, creating stat problems).

You'll be able to import the players from the college hoops game to the NBA game this year, correct?

You set them separately. You can set your games to 5 minutes for instance and the CPU games to 12 or down to 5.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #146
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm looking at somewhere around 1:15-1:20 to play a 12 minute quarter game which means I'll only be playing on weekends, but that is true of most of my console games at this point. As Calis already said, you can play 5 minute quarters if you want and sim 12 minute quarters. Yes, you can import college guys to the NBA game, but if it is like last year, you can only import them at the beginning of the season (since you can scout the college guys all year long.) I've heard reports of College Hoops 2k6 classes importing into NBA 2k7, but since they've added new attributes to players I imagine it would create problems to try to import from College Hoops 2k7 into NBA 2k8. I'm going to start an association tonight and I will start a dynasty thread because it will help me organize my thoughts on the roster, but I may restart my association once College Hoops 2k8 has some classes, or I might just roll with fictional draft classes. Of course, a patch may require a re-start of the association anyway, once it is out, to fix the playoff bug.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-05-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #147
Calis
College Starter

One annoyance.

If I have to hear the announcers have an orgasm about a simple bounce pass I made being an amazing pass, I might puke.

I had them scream at 4 passes in one game last night that was a perfectly normal nothing fancy move it around the perimeter pass.

It seems like the commentating actually gets worse from year to year, but that's the only thing..and I'd prefer that to something else, still needs a lot of work though.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #148
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
One annoyance.

If I have to hear the announcers have an orgasm about a simple bounce pass I made being an amazing pass, I might puke.

I had them scream at 4 passes in one game last night that was a perfectly normal nothing fancy move it around the perimeter pass.

It seems like the commentating actually gets worse from year to year, but that's the only thing..and I'd prefer that to something else, still needs a lot of work though.

I'm finding commentary quite bad as well. Every Nuggets game I get "Carmelo Anthony and Allen Iverson started to gel at the end of the year. . . blah, blah, blah, blah, blah"

I'm thinking the announcers are going off, all the ambiant sounds are going up and music is going to be played in the background for me.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:31 PM   #149
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

As I'm starting my Association, I just discovered a neat trick. Last year's College Hoops draft files from 2k7 will not load, but you can keep the "import draft" option turned on and then back out of the import screen when it actually asks you to load the class. It will then generate a draft class. I'm assuming that it will still ask you to load draft classes for future years. If so, this can be a good option for those that want to import college hoops players in future years but are too impatient to wait for College Hoops to come out before starting your association and don't care if the 1st year (or 2) of rookies are fake players.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:11 PM   #150
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
As I'm starting my Association, I just discovered a neat trick. Last year's College Hoops draft files from 2k7 will not load, but you can keep the "import draft" option turned on and then back out of the import screen when it actually asks you to load the class. It will then generate a draft class. I'm assuming that it will still ask you to load draft classes for future years. If so, this can be a good option for those that want to import college hoops players in future years but are too impatient to wait for College Hoops to come out before starting your association and don't care if the 1st year (or 2) of rookies are fake players.

Do you get international players with the created files? I'm guessing all players imported will all be from the college game (no additional players are added)?