Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #101
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
I think that its not a case of picking them up at the wrong time but perhaps the initial database having some wrong information in it. Can you tell me what team you are using and who you are trying to pickup the options on. One issue is that some of the guys are initially marked as being able to have options picked up when they shouldn't be. If you can give me some specific info I can look to see if that is the case or its something else.

And I agree with the people in the thread that some of these errors seem like they should have easily been caught. Unforunately with a small beta team sometimes you get tunnel vision and focus on certain things and just assume someone else has tested it. I'm not going to blame the testers though - I'm in charge and should have paid closer attention to more specific detail. Of course some of the crashes are things we just never saw happen but some should have been caught very easily and I apologize for the frustration of getting in there and having such silly crashes. I also will reevaluate how we run our beta process and make sure to improve it for the future.

The good news is that most of them are easily fixable (especially if people send me the league files and such when they get a crash) and the game will be patched promptly as it always has been with my games. In fact there is a thread at http://www.wolverinestudios.com/foru...ead.php?t=1881 that lists instructions for sending me files plus the things that have been fixed already.

If you want to hold off on the demo since its a timed demo or purchase until the first patch or so I think that's a fine idea. We should at least have a beta of the first patch out this weekend and there are close to a dozen or so fixes already. And as always if there are suggestions on improving features or adding things I'm open to those as well. Patches often (well at least after the first patch anyways) contain updates people ask for so if there are things I can do to improve on the game itself by all means let me know.

Thanks Gary. This type of support is whya lot of people buy your games.IMHO along with the fact they are fun qualit yproducts. A few impatient people have voiced ther edismay at the "bugs" and error RTE stuff. Me too I had one but we should realize this is a game let's just relax and give the guya chance to patch it. I find this to be very stable overall.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #102
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

You've had better luck than I have. I have crashed every time I've tried to play a year. I got to the lottery once, but it crashed there.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #103
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

FYI most of the crashes so far have been related to the 32-team setup, which is probably why you are seeing such a difference. Once we get those cleared up you should have much smoother sailing. The lottery crash is among those already fixed for the first patch.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 02-01-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:02 PM   #104
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

FYI: I've tried four careers each ending with a crash. Two were 32 team and two were 30 team.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #105
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I had about six crashes (Mostly RTE's, but one "has caused an error and will be closed" message) last night in my quick run through at Various points, but I didn't write em down. A bit (ok a LOT) discouraging, but I'll try to see if any of em happen tonight

Just catching up on this thread. I was debating on buying this, during this weekend, but RTE's (particularly this many) just kill a game for me. I guess I'll wait for a few patches to read impressions at that time.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-01-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #106
Mountain
Mascot

Some things about playing the games out. There is not much variety in the play-by-play. I have played through about four games so far and there has not been a single walking call, double dribble, palming, etc. the only turnover messages I get would be (someone) turns the ball over, or (someone threw the ball away I have had one charging call in four games. When a player gets fouled in the act of shooting the game does not tell you who commits the foul on the shooter. I have to look at the substitution screen to find out who did it on my team and I don't know who picks up the foul on the opposing team. The last game I played I was playing against the Wizards and Brendan Haywood fouled out with 20 seconds left in the game. The game would not substitue for him even when I enabled auto-sub. I got a message saying there was someone in the game who had fouled out and needed to be replaced. I could not finish the game.

Another nice touch to enhance play-by-play would be to identfy when a team has gone on a run. Also if a player seems to be shooting hot or cold. I don't know if these things amount to immediate fixes like CTDs but some of these changes would ceratinly enhance the game experience for me.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #107
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Just catching up on this thread. I was debating on buying this, during this weekend, but RTE's (particularly this many) just kill a game for me. I guess I'll wait for a few patches to read impressions at that time.

That's the norm for me nowdays and any game that comes out.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:19 PM   #108
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Some things about playing the games out. There is not much variety in the play-by-play. I have played through about four games so far and there has not been a single walking call, double dribble, palming, etc.

Wow, this IS just like the real NBA!!

Ok...never mind...carry on.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #109
path12
Coordinator

Just one more suggestion for the play by play -- I really wish the text was larger there. I'm needing to squint just to read it....
Old 02-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #110
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

another question: is there a reason that i can't offer certain guys contract extensions, or can only offer extensions at certain times? is that a rule that mirrors the NBA situation? that you can't offer extensions to guys in the last year of their deals?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #111
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
FYI most of the crashes so far have been related to the 32-team setup, which is probably why you are seeing such a difference. Once we get those cleared up you should have much smoother sailing. The lottery crash is among those already fixed for the first patch.

I know it's asking a lot, but getting that patch out today would be very helpful since I can't get past the first year....
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #113
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
I'm getting constant crashes and haven't run a 32 team league yet. Everything I've done has been 30 teams, 06 start date, and it's buggy as hell.

If you are getting constant crashes (for something outside renaming the dleague team which will be fixed in the 1st patch) please follow the link I posted in an earlier post in this thread and see if your crashes are on that list of fixes so far and if not then please email me your league files with the instructions on that page. Thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #114
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I know it's asking a lot, but getting that patch out today would be very helpful since I can't get past the first year....

Well the best I would be able to do would be to post a beta patch late tonight. Obviously nobody will have had time to test it but if you and some others would be interested in that I will try to get it up either late, late tonight or so its at least there in the morning for anyone who wants to try it.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #115
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Gary...I can send you a savegame file if you want, but here's images of the reproduction of the "rookie option" error with a drafted player in 2009.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-01-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #116
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Yeah send me that save game file DT (instructions in the link above or tech support forum sticky on my site) - I'd like to see when exactly you offered him that option and how that got goofed up
Old 02-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #117
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

sure thing. sending now (just got back home). it's happened as i said, multiple times both with drafted guys and with original "nba players"
Old 02-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #118
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

what? why won't gmail let me send the zipped files? claiming there's an executable in there?!?!
Old 02-01-2007, 04:06 PM   #119
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Use YouSendIt Or something similar, DT (Megaupload, etcetera)
Old 02-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #120
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Use YouSendIt Or something similar, DT (Megaupload, etcetera)

that would be the easy solution. i'm just surprised that gmail is being a putz
Old 02-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #121
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I get a RTE crash after the lottery as well. Does this mean I need to start a new game or is there any way around it?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #122
HerRealName
College Prospect

The Play Editor is quite fun. I usually play as a GM but I'm going to have to try these plays out in an Exhibition game.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #123
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I get a RTE crash after the lottery as well. Does this mean I need to start a new game or is there any way around it?

If you're in a 32 team league then I think I've fixed that one for the first patch. I'm going to put up a beta patch either late tonight or early in the morning so we can hopefully get these out of the way and move onto some of the more rare bugs and adding new stuff into the game.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:04 AM   #124
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Just as a FYI we'll be releasing a public beta patch sometime tomorrow - Im just trying to nail down the thing with the rookie options first. If I can find it early enough I will get it in there and if not I will keep looking while the patch is being tested. Here's a list of fixes the 1.1 public beta should include

- RTE 91 when changing some d-league team names in league setup
- RTE 3021 when clicking on names on the future page before mock draft has been done
- RTE 3021 when clicking on team history in almanac before any team history is generated
- RTE 3075 when viewing a news story with a heading using an apostrophe
- RTE 13 when trying to make a trade or sign free agents and using a computer that is not running on US-English settings
- RTE 91 when trying to proceed through the lottery in a 32 team league
- RTE 91 when trying to view career leaders in almanac
- RTE 91 when trying to access the summer league games from the schedule screen when playing in a fantasy draft league (those games should not be scheduled in the first place since you skip the summer stuff in year 1 of a fantasy draft league)
- RTE 91 when trying to play out a summer league game
- RTE 9 when using a snaked order in the 32 team fantasy draft
- RTE 9 when proceeding past awards and using real player photos
- RTE when trying to retire a jersey
- fixed bug not allowing you to assign players to the d-league prior to d-league draft
- fixed bug updating team information on the left side when you click on the jersey in the office
- fixed bug of not being able to get back to trade screen from war room if you clicked off of it
- fixed but of proper year draft picks not showing up in trading from war room during draft
- tweaked AI problem causing AI teams to not fill out their sub matrix properly during summer league games
- addressed bug of AI teams not filling out their roster prior to opening day
- addressed incorrect variables being used in news stories (wrong team names, wrong WL records etc)
Old 02-02-2007, 01:30 AM   #125
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Just as a FYI we'll be releasing a public beta patch sometime tomorrow - Im just trying to nail down the thing with the rookie options first. If I can find it early enough I will get it in there and if not I will keep looking while the patch is being tested. Here's a list of fixes the 1.1 public beta should include

Sounds great.. I've already planned a Friday night purchase and this certainly doesn't change my view.

Playing around with the demo does generate several little RTEs, but since I haven't had enough time to really "play", I haven't been logging them. Your list is extensive enough to make me believe most of those are covered.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:51 AM   #126
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Morning update for anyone interested. The beta patch is available from this thread http://www.wolverinestudios.com/foru...ead.php?t=1920

Again, its a beta patch at this point and the fix list is two posts above plus I think I may have a handle on the rookie option thing as well so if you're interested in a beta patch give it a shot - please note that if you download the full version of the game it is still at 1.0 so you would need to download the patch as well and it will be like this probably until Monday or so assuming the fixes are confirmed.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #127
MrBug708
Head Coach

Thanks! I knew I woke up early for a good reason!
Old 02-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #128
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So I have question about free agency. It seems I offer a contract, then advance to the next day and the contract offer is gone and I have to offer it again? this is quiet tedious, is it suposed to be this way?
Old 02-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #129
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
So I have question about free agency. It seems I offer a contract, then advance to the next day and the contract offer is gone and I have to offer it again? this is quiet tedious, is it suposed to be this way?

That's the way it was in the last version. Basically it means they said no. Possibly could be handled a bit differently, but that's what it means anyways.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #130
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- I have also had Daniel Gibson out for 2 years with a broken ankle. Is there anything that indicates a career ending injury? He is taking up alot of cap room
Old 02-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #131
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

If you offer a contract and it disappears the next day, it means the player doesn't think your offer is worth considering. Offering it again won't help, you need to either offer more money or years or he's probably going to keep ignoring you.

On the injury subject, there are no career-ending injuries as such: a player with a very long-term injury may decide to retire.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 02-02-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #132
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think the way free agent contracts are tracked is a major problem with the game. It's very hard to keep track of offers to players. Is there a way to at least see the list of still pending offers ala TPB?

And the coach offers need a better way of tracking also.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #133
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Yes. All offers still pending are in the box on the lower right, same as in TPB. Same for the coach offers(except the box is on the top center).
Old 02-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #134
MrBug708
Head Coach

One thing I have noticed is that career Double Doubles and Triple Triples reset themselves each season
Old 02-02-2007, 02:33 PM   #135
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
That's the way it was in the last version. Basically it means they said no. Possibly could be handled a bit differently, but that's what it means anyways.

I'm quite surprised this wasn't changed. It was thoroughly irritating in the previous version, and still is.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #136
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
One thing I have noticed is that career Double Doubles and Triple Triples reset themselves each season

Ah, the exceedingly rare triple-triple. Quite the performance, that.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #137
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

To my knowlege(and I did a thorough search of the boards at GDS and WS leading up to the game being worked on) this is the first time it was ever suggested. That doesn't mean that it can't be changed, but it certainly wasn't among the remotely common suggestions from the last version.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #138
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Sorry about that. It always bugged the hell out of me and I guess I assumed someone had to have brought it up. I think a notification in the results window would be much better and seemingly simple to do.

I'd also love a notification when offers are made so that I can see how much interest there is in each free agent.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #139
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'll be picking this up once it gets pretty RTE free, and I don't feel as if I need to save as frequently as possible.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:05 PM   #140
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That's more than fair, stevew.

Quote:
I'd also love a notification when offers are made so that I can see how much interest there is in each free agent.

Devil's advocate here: how do you think this would play out, in terms of realism. GM calls a player's agent: "Hey, could you tell me what offers you've got in right now -- after all I don't want to overpay?"
Old 02-02-2007, 03:05 PM   #141
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Ah, the exceedingly rare triple-triple. Quite the performance, that.

Wilt did it frequently.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #142
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Brian: I don't want to see amounts, but it's fair to see interest. We already get to see the best offer and it's perfectly reasonable to think that teams knw who's after most free agents. I can find out most offers and a general sense of price from ESPN.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #143
John Galt
Pro Starter

One other thing I would love - have the player's desired contract automatically loaded into the offer screen. It is such a pain to enter the dollars, years, and % increase every week for every player you are interested in. And when I'm doing player extensions, I almost always accept the player's desire, so it is so much easier if it is automatically entered.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #144
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
One other thing I would love - have the player's desired contract automatically loaded into the offer screen. It is such a pain to enter the dollars, years, and % increase every week for every player you are interested in. And when I'm doing player extensions, I almost always accept the player's desire, so it is so much easier if it is automatically entered.

Yes, great idea +++
Old 02-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #145
astrosfan64
College Prospect

I'm actually surprised by the bugs in this release. Gary's last 3 Basketball games have had pretty bug free releases. I know he will get these issues fixed, I'm just a bit surprised to see all these at release.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #146
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
I'm actually surprised by the bugs in this release. Gary's last 3 Basketball games have had pretty bug free releases. I know he will get these issues fixed, I'm just a bit surprised to see all these at release.

I think the increase in bugs is due more towards the complexity of new features/additions and less because of sloppy beta-testing.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #147
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I think the increase in bugs is due more towards the complexity of new features/additions and less because of sloppy beta-testing.

My comment wasn't a shot at the beta team, it was more of an observation.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #148
bselig
n00b

Game was pretty much unplayable due to crashes until I rebooted, seems fine now.

Stats seem decent enough, draft is great. Sim speed is a bit slow. Trading is pretty challenging, the AI is extremely picky. The arrows showing if a trade will go through or not seem to be almost worthless in indicating if it actually will
bselig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:24 PM   #149
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I ran into a new problem. I set to sim until the All Star break and turned notify for injuries off. I was stopped and so I assumed it was a trade offer. The email was lit up and when I checked there was no new mail. I deleted all the email and started again with notify injuries off. Same thing happened, but this time it was clear that the email was empty.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Last edited by JPhillips : 02-02-2007 at 10:02 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #150
amdaily
College Prospect

I tried to start a 16 team fictional league and during FA and the draft there were an extraordinary high number of 3 and 4 star rated players. Is the talent level adjusted accordingly for a smaller league size?
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote