Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-30-2006, 07:54 AM   #101
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
I just wish Rich Musinski would have been given some time in such a blowout .

New England Patriots Released wide receivers Keron Henry and Rich Musinski, center Brian Barthelmes, cornerback Hank Poteat, linebacker Freddie Roach and guard Nick Steitz.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:29 AM   #102
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
New England Patriots Released wide receivers Keron Henry and Rich Musinski, center Brian Barthelmes, cornerback Hank Poteat, linebacker Freddie Roach and guard Nick Steitz.

Yup . I think tis was probably his best shot at making ar oster in the NFL in his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:50 AM   #103
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Yup . I think tis was probably his best shot at making ar oster in the NFL in his career.

Well, if you can't make the Patriots roster as a WR now, you probably should just head off to Canada or the Arena leagues and finish off your career.

Especially with Branch still holding out, this Patriots WR core is simply horrible right now.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:13 AM   #104
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Well, if you can't make the Patriots roster as a WR now, you probably should just head off to Canada or the Arena leagues and finish off your career.

Especially with Branch still holding out, this Patriots WR core is simply horrible right now.

What, Bam Childress doesn't get you pumped up?
Old 08-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #105
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

My point exactly... It pains me to face the truth as he is one of the best players I have seen play at the I-AA level (he came within i believe 1 or 2 games of tying Jerry Rice's consecutive receptions record)... But some things that translate in I-AA (or I-A for that matter) just do not translate to the NFL level. Having good moves and sure hands means little if you are 5'11 and can't run below a 4.5 40 (I don't know his actualy 40 time, I'm just guessing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:51 AM   #106
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Branch has tentative deal with Jets, SeahawksBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

With the clock ticking toward a Friday 4 p.m. deadline for striking a deal, league sources confirmed for ESPN.com that New England Patriots wide receiver Deion Branch has reached agreement with the New York Jets and an unnamed NFC team on a long-term contract that meets his demands. The NFC team is believed to be the Seattle Seahawks.

Deion Branch
Wide Receiver
New England Patriots

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC
78 998 5 12.8 51 245

But neither team, the sources acknowledged, has been able to come to an agreement with the Patriots on compensation for the four-year veteran. And without the second half of the deal in place, the deadline could pass without a trade, and again force Branch to decide whether to extend his camp-long holdout.

A deal with the Jets would reunite Branch with first-year head coach Eric Mangini, who previously was the defensive coordinator in New England.

Representatives for Branch were expected on Friday to apprise Patriots officials of the status of talks with other teams. New England last Friday granted Branch permission to discuss a potential trade with other teams. It's believed that none of the suitors involved with Branch are willing to offer the Patriots more than a second-round draft choice. New England is seeking a first-round pick and perhaps a middle-round choice as well.

Whether the Pats would consider extending the deadline to enter into trade negotiations with the two clubs attempting to land Branch is unknown. Part of New England's strategy in granting Branch permission to deal with other teams, it seems, was to try to force some kind of resolution to stalemate before the start of the regular season.

People close to Branch insist that he will not crack and will report to the Patriots only for the final six games of the season, enough to earn an accrued year toward the pension, and to qualify him for unrestricted free agency next spring.

While last week's move by the Patriots was surprising, it was also reflective of the state of discussions between the two sides. There has been virtually no meaningful dialogue for weeks and Branch, the team's leading receiver in 2005, remains out of camp and is being fined at the rate of $14,000 per day during his absence.

It is believed that, at some point in the offseason, the Patriots offered two extension proposals: a three-year deal worth $18.75 million with $8 million of that guaranteed, and a five-year extension at $31 million, with $11 million in bonuses.

Branch, 27, is scheduled to earn a base salary of $1.05 million in 2006, the final season of the original five-year contract he signed as a second-round choice in the 2002 draft. And the base salary is only that high because Branch performed well enough to trigger an "escalator" in the contract that raised his compensation by $500,000.

Team officials indicated as far back as March that securing an extension with Branch was a priority, but the sides have been unable to strike a deal and talks seem at a dead end.

Branch is coming off a career year in 2005, when he had 78 receptions for 998 yards and five touchdowns. For his career, Branch has 213 catches for 2,744 yards and 14 touchdowns. He has appeared in 53 games and logged 42 starts. He earned most valuable player honors in Super Bowl XXXIX when he tied a title game record with 11 receptions, netting 133 yards.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2568851
Old 09-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #107
path12
Coordinator

I would love to have him here in Seattle, especially with Jackson appearing to be slow to recover from his injury.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:10 AM   #108
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well, the biggest question in my mind is - what were the two offers? If they are for much more than the Pats offered, then Branch has essentially called their bluff and they have to give in. All indications are that they did this to prove to him that he wouldn't get much more money on the open market. If they're wrong, he wins. If the money would basically be the same, then they still have leverage and can force him to negotiate with them after today's deadline passes. But it all hinges on what the offers were.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-01-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #109
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Well, the biggest question in my mind is - what were the two offers? If they are for much more than the Pats offered, then Branch has essentially called their bluff and they have to give in. All indications are that they did this to prove to him that he wouldn't get much more money on the open market. If they're wrong, he wins. If the money would basically be the same, then they still have leverage and can force him to negotiate with them after today's deadline passes. But it all hinges on what the offers were.

he doesn't win barring a trade. big deal he got offers. that fact remains that if he wants to play football this year it will be under his current deal or the terms NE sets. I think the Pats could give a flying f*ck what offers he says he got and it will be a cold day in hell when the Pats "match" a big Jet contract renegotiation offer for the guy.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:21 AM   #110
Ksyrup

Quote:
he doesn't win barring a trade. big deal he got offers. that fact remains that if he wants to play football this year it will be under his current deal or the terms NE sets. I think the Pats could give a flying f*ck what offers he says he got and it will be a cold day in hell when the Pats "match" a big Jet contract renegotiation offer for the guy.

But that was the whole purpose of why they did what they did, wasn't it? I realize he is still likely to get stuck with a "play for us or don't play at all" response from the Pats, but in my mind, they come off as the loser to their fans and the public. They claimed he wasn't worth the money he wanted and told him to shop himself so that he could see first-hand he wasn't worth that much. If two teams have made offers well above (likely not matching what he wanted) the Pats' offer, then they've just lost the challenge. He's called their bluff. They said no other team would pay him above X and he's got two teams willing to do just that (again, assuming the offers are that substantial).

In my mind, the Pats are going to get exactly what they deserve. He may not be worth what he wants or what those two teams are willing to pay, but they put themselves in this position by daring him to find a better offer. He did.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-01-2006, 11:24 AM   #111
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What exactly are the Jets even doing here. Unless they think they can get him for a 2nd and 3rd or something. They are smoking crack if they give up their #1 next season for him. They are likely to be in the bottom half of teams even with him.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #112
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
But that was the whole purpose of why they did what they did, wasn't it? I realize he is still likely to get stuck with a "play for us or don't play at all" response from the Pats, but in my mind, they come off as the loser to their fans and the public. They claimed he wasn't worth the money he wanted and told him to shop himself so that he could see first-hand he wasn't worth that much. If two teams have made offers well above (likely not matching what he wanted) the Pats' offer, then they've just lost the challenge. He's called their bluff. They said no other team would pay him above X and he's got two teams willing to do just that (again, assuming the offers are that substantial).

In my mind, the Pats are going to get exactly what they deserve. He may not be worth what he wants or what those two teams are willing to pay, but they put themselves in this position by daring him to find a better offer. He did.

One thing you need to account for is that the Pats could give a rats ass about their perception here.

They certainly must have considered he would get an offer if for no other reason in other teams mind to put the pressure back on NE. I think the Pats would geniunly take a #1 for the guy and it was worth it to find out.

Either way the fact he called their bluff is meaningless. If you weren't going to pay him before you aren't now and the only value of the situation was to see what kind of compensation you could get from other teams so you could determine whether to let the guy sit out or move him.

I love the way the Pats operate. They are one of the finest run organizations from top to bottom in all of sport.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #113
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
What exactly are the Jets even doing here. Unless they think they can get him for a 2nd and 3rd or something. They are smoking crack if they give up their #1 next season for him. They are likely to be in the bottom half of teams even with him.

It's their attempt to tweak the Pats. Heck it's probably totally fiction. Some boob proabably just said when asked "Sure we'd give him X for X years if we could work out a deal" and BOOM there's your story.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:35 AM   #114
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Exactly. He won. Now the Patriots are in a nightmare. They either give in and pay or they have their best WR sit until the final 6.

I don't see Branch doing anything but playing in those final 6 either. The Patriots can't suspend him unless he does something. I don't think Branch is stupid enough to miss team meetings or anything like that. He'll show up, put in six weeks of work + playoffs and then he's going to get his big deal.

The Patriots told him he wasn't worth it and then challenged him to get an offer he found acceptable. He ended up getting TWO offers that were acceptable. Now the Patriots bluff is called and the ball is in their court. Either pay him what his market value is or play without him for 10 weeks and watch him take off next year.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:39 AM   #115
HomerSimpson
Mascot

Quote:
Branch has tentative deal with Jets, SeahawksBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

With the clock ticking toward a Friday 4 p.m. deadline for striking a deal, league sources confirmed for ESPN.com that New England Patriots wide receiver Deion Branch has reached agreement with the New York Jets and an unnamed NFC team on a long-term contract that meets his demands. The NFC team is believed to be the Seattle Seahawks.

Don't these teams also have to meet the Patriots demands?

I am assuming they are still demanding a 1st round pick for a player in his last year of contract.
HomerSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:40 AM   #116
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Exactly. He won. Now the Patriots are in a nightmare. They either give in and pay or they have their best WR sit until the final 6.

I don't see Branch doing anything but playing in those final 6 either. The Patriots can't suspend him unless he does something. I don't think Branch is stupid enough to miss team meetings or anything like that. He'll show up, put in six weeks of work + playoffs and then he's going to get his big deal.

The Patriots told him he wasn't worth it and then challenged him to get an offer he found acceptable. He ended up getting TWO offers that were acceptable. Now the Patriots bluff is called and the ball is in their court. Either pay him what his market value is or play without him for 10 weeks and watch him take off next year.

but now, without knowing exactly what the offers were, how do we knoa that they were not the exact same offers that the Pats made to him but were simply acceptable to him now because they were coming from somebody else than the Pats? I mean, we just don't know what was in these offers. $31M over five years might become acceptable if it's not coming from the Pats and he got fed up and wants to get out...

FM
Old 09-01-2006, 11:42 AM   #117
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson
Don't these teams also have to meet the Patriots demands?

I am assuming they are still demanding a 1st round pick for a player in his last year of contract.

Yep, that's why these teams chiming in that they'd pay Branch big dollars is a joke unless they put their money where there mouth is. Like Seinfeld said..."anyone can take the reservation...the key is holding the reservation."

The Winnepeg Blue Bombers just called....they'd pay Branch 1 BILLLLION dollars next except sadly he's NFL property.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #118
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
It's their attempt to tweak the Pats. Heck it's probably totally fiction. Some boob proabably just said when asked "Sure we'd give him X for X years if we could work out a deal" and BOOM there's your story.

If you and the Pats fans want to believe teams are doing things just to tweak you, I think you are in a dillusional dream state.

The Just coaching staff knows all about Branch. They have a poor WR core themselves and I see no reason they wouldn't want him. The Seahawks are a coast away and don't give a damn about tweaking the Patriots.

Fact is, no matter how hard it is for the Patriots or you to believe, there are a lot of people who think Branch is one hell of a WR and a guy they'd want to add to their teams if the Patriots don't want him.

Now it comes down to compensation and this is where it's going to get funny for me. The Pats don't think he's a #1 WR, don't think he should get paid like one. . . and they probably won't settle for anything less than a #1 pick. Nope, we don't want to pay you. Nope, you can't go anywhere unless we get #1 WR value.

Yep, we'll enjoy having you for six more regular season games in your Patriots career.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #119
Ksyrup

That's why I said initially that all that really matters now is what those offers were. Either they validate Branch, or they validate NE.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #120
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Now it comes down to compensation and this is where it's going to get funny for me. The Pats don't think he's a #1 WR, don't think he should get paid like one. . . and they probably won't settle for anything less than a #1 pick. Nope, we don't want to pay you. Nope, you can't go anywhere unless we get #1 WR value.

I don't think the Pats are being inconsistent. All they're saying is "Look, if you can find a team to pay you #1 WR money, and give up #1 WR compensation for you, we'll let you go". Half of the formula is in place, if a team steps up with the second half, he's gone, and everyone's happy. I don't see how anyone's bluff has been called.

The Pats obviously realized that he'd be worth more on the open market - they're not retarded.

Last edited by molson : 09-01-2006 at 11:51 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #121
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

Fact is, no matter how hard it is for the Patriots or you to believe, there are a lot of people who think Branch is one hell of a WR and a guy they'd want to add to their teams if the Patriots don't want him.

So let's see them put up or shut up. You think he's that great than here's the price. If not so sad for you.

Sometimes you have to overpay for a guy you really want. Sucks but hey he's Henry Ellard right? To me if I'm a Jets fan I'd be furious if the Jets made a move here to trade NE a #1.

I personally find zero sympathy for this player considering he's under contract and been offered several deals with lots of guranteed money. Hey he doesn't want to be here that's his business but it in no way says that Pats are somehow screwing him.

Objectively it's simple to me. When 4 rolls around and if there is no deal it's hard for me to see where Branch is in any way a winner here just because 2 teams said they'd redo his deal.

Let him sit out if he wants. That's his choice but I would bet anything that his "image" takes more of a hit than the NE Patriots football team. Maybe Branch will do some additional interviews where he talks more about "pulling a TO".

Last edited by rkmsuf : 09-01-2006 at 11:53 AM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:55 AM   #122
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
I don't think the Pats are being inconsistent. All they're saying is "Look, if you can find a team to pay you #1 WR money, and give up #1 WR compensation for you, we'll let you go". Half of the formula is in place, if a team steps up with the second half, he's gone, and everyone's happy. I don't see how anyone's bluff has been called.

Because that's not what Branch and the Pats were/are negotiating. The draft pick compensation isn't, hasn't been, and won't be a part of Branch's negotiation. He has no control over what other teams are willing to pay NE for his rights. His sole challenge was this: "We think we made fair offer and don't think the market would bear anything substantially higher. In fact, we're so confident of that, we'll let you shop yourself for such an offer, because we don't think you'll find one." He did (we think).

Whether those teams come to an agreement with the Pats doesn't really matter from the standpoint of Branch's negotiation with the Pats. If anything, if I put on my Scott Boras hat, I'd argue that if the Seahawks were will to pay 50% more than the Pats offer PLUS a 2nd round pick (deemed to be insufficient by the Pats), then Branch has proven his value is not only higher than the Pats' offer, but it's higher by the value of the Seahawks offer PLUS the value of a second round pick. So the Pats should be paying him his "market value" in that amount, or they can fuck off until November.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-01-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:58 AM   #123
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Because that's not what Branch and the Pats were/are negotiating. The draft pic compensation isn't. hasn't been, and won't be a part of Branch's negotiation. He has no control over what other teams are willing to pay NE for his rights. His sole challenge was this: "We think we made fair offer and don't think the market would bear anything substantially higher. In fact, we're so confident of that, we'll let you shop yourself for such an offer, because we don't think you'll find one." He did.

That is blatently incorrect.

The Pats said they "grant Branch permission to seek a trade." that's it. pat's could care less what teams say they will reup him for above and beyond what's on the table.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #124
Ksyrup

Quote:
Objectively it's simple to me. When 4 rolls around and if there is no deal it's hard for me to see where Branch is in any way a winner here just because 2 teams said they'd redo his deal.

Because the Pats dug themselves a hole and now might find themselves buried in it. They set the parameters of the challenge and he (possibly) met it. His market value appears to be set at a point higher than the Pats said it would. End of story.

Objectively, I have no horse in this race and don't care how it comes out. My perception of this whole thing is strictly as a neutral observer. I'm not sure how much Branch is really worth or whether he has a legitimate gripe here. I just know what the circumstances were when the Pats told him to go get a "reality check" and he came back with a big fat, reality check for them. In my mind, the Pats lose and Branch is at least somewhat justified for arguing that the Pats are lowballing him.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:05 PM   #125
Ksyrup

Quote:
That is blatently incorrect.

The Pats said they "grant Branch permission to seek a trade." that's it. pat's could care less what teams say they will reup him for above and beyond what's on the table.

No. I don't care what the "official" line was. Every single commentator has said that the Pats' motivation here was to prove Branch wrong, that he would come back to the table when no team would pay him near what he wanted, and that he'd be on the team come opening day. I'm sure they would be happy to trade him away if they got what they wanted out of it, but it was mostly a ploy to allow him to assess his value in the league and to "see the light" by today's deadline. That they didn't publically spell it out in those terms doesn't mean that's not exactly what they were doing.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-01-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #126
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Because the Pats dug themselves a hole and now might find themselves buried in it. They set the parameters of the challenge and he (possibly) met it. His market value appears to be set at a point higher than the Pats said it would. End of story.

If he meets the challenge and arranges a trade by 4 then it's a win/win. Otherwise nothing changes.

I laugh at all the reference to the Pats being "buried" or in a "nightmare" like they are just screwed and the press and fans are set to burn down Gillette Stadium.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #127
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
No. I don't care what the "official" line was. Every single commentator has said that the Pats' motivation here was to prove Branch wrong, that he would come back to the table when no team would pay him near what he wanted, and that he'd be on the team come opening day. I'm sure they would be happy to trade him away if they got what they wanted out of it, but it was mostly a ploy to allow him to assess his value in the league and to "see the light" by today's deadline. That they didn't publically spell it out in those terms doesn't mean that's not exactly what they were doing.

But you have to admit, it seems awfully easy for a team like the Jets to say, yeah we WOULD pay you that much...but if they're not willing to trade for him, it doesn't give Branch much leverage.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:13 PM   #128
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Every single commentator has said that the Pats' motivation here was to prove Branch wrong, that he would come back to the table when no team would pay him near what he wanted, and that he'd be on the team come opening day.

We'll never know, to 100% certainty, the answer to this, but I just find it impossible to believe that ANY team would "dare" a player in this manner, when all it would take is ONE team to prove them wrong (and that team could prove them wrong without actually comitting to anything). The Pats would have more knowledge about Branch's league-wide value than Branch would, it just makes no sense that they would be that stupid.

Last edited by molson : 09-01-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:13 PM   #129
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
But you have to admit, it seems awfully easy for a team like the Jets to say, yeah we WOULD pay you that much...but if they're not willing to trade for him, it doesn't give Branch much leverage.

It justifies his holdout, though, which is presumably what the Pats were trying to end by either (a) Branch not getting the kind of offer he thought he should get and signing a deal with the Pats close to what they offered, or (b) Branch getting the offer and the Pats trading him. Those are the only two winning situations for the Pats. Anything else, and they lose this battle, IMO. How can they expect him to come back to the table and sign a reduced deal when he's proven he's worth more? Even if everyone acknowledges that the Jets' offer was likely not legit, isn't that the risk the Pats took when they sent him on this mission 2 weeks ago, that some team would offer him the sky and tell the Pats we'll give you 2 dozen footballs for him in return?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:13 PM   #130
QuikSand
lolzcat

And amidst all this hubbub, there are still a few of us who believe he'll be in uniform and on the field for opening day with the Pats.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #131
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
And amidst all this hubbub, there are still a few of us who believe he'll be in uniform and on the field for opening day with the Pats.

That's the most likely scenario. He'd be a fool to sit out until week 11.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:18 PM   #132
Ksyrup

Quote:
We'll never know, to 100% certainty, the answer to this, but I just find it impossible to believe that ANY team would "dare" a player in this manner, when all it would take is ONE team to prove them wrong (and that team could prove them wrong without actually comitting to anything). The Pats would have more knowledge about Branch's league-wide value than Branch would, it just makes no sense that they would be that stupid.

The problem is that even if they legitimately just wanted him the hell off the team and wanted a "fair" price for him, they had to know that if he got the kind of offer he had been asking for from the Pats and the other team wouldn't pay what the Pats wanted for him, that they'd be back to square 1, except now they'd have a guy who has proof, legit or not, that he's worth more than the Pats were offering. It's no longer theoretical, even if you can argue over whether the offer was truly made in good faith. And that makes the Pats look bad in my eyes.

Especially if it comes down to a 2nd versus 1st round pick. IMO, a 2nd for Branch is imminently reasonable, especially considering the circumstances. The Pats holding out for a 1 just tells me they had no intention of trading him unless another team completely caved. So that takes me back to the "challenge" scenario.

Either way I look at it, things could work out fine for both Branch and the Pats, but if not, I think the Pats look much worse here.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:18 PM   #133
molson
General Manager

Has anyone ever actually held out until week 11?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #134
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand

Sure. But what's the fun in that, especially when things have gone as far as they have?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:20 PM   #135
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

I think Galloway did, in Seattle.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:20 PM   #136
stevew
Hall Of Famer

At this point, he may as well get some good insurance, and then show up for week 1. If he can't get a deal done. Go out there and get 1300 yards and 85 catches. Of course, then he probably gets franchised next offseason, and the cycle starts over again.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:21 PM   #137
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
If he meets the challenge and arranges a trade by 4 then it's a win/win. Otherwise nothing changes.

I laugh at all the reference to the Pats being "buried" or in a "nightmare" like they are just screwed and the press and fans are set to burn down Gillette Stadium.

When it comes to Branch, they are. Doesn't mean the team is screwed. Doesn't mean they won't be a great team. Doesn't mean they aren't great at evaluating talent.

But when it comes to Branch, they are in a nightmare now. Their best WR by far and away (debate if he's a #1 or not, but he's certainly the Pats #1) is holding out and the Pats lost any type of hold over him they hadif he did in fact get two big offers. Now he's not going to hold any qualms about sitting out until he's forced to report.

They are about to lose 2/3 of the season with their best WR and then get nothing for him in FA. (they could franchise or transition him, but that'd give him the one year salary he wanted anyway)

This isn't the end of the NE dynasty. It also isn't some terrific situation for them either.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:22 PM   #138
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

Joey Galloway with Seattle is the only one I can recall.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #139
QuikSand
lolzcat

Bobby Hebert sat out a whole season, and pretty much flushed his precarious career in the process. But Galloway is, I think, the only guy to sit out and then come back deliberately to tick his clock one more year ahead in order to become a free agent. (He then got tagged and traded to Dallas for two firsts)
Old 09-01-2006, 12:27 PM   #140
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
When it comes to Branch, they are. Doesn't mean the team is screwed. Doesn't mean they won't be a great team. Doesn't mean they aren't great at evaluating talent.

But when it comes to Branch, they are in a nightmare now. Their best WR by far and away (debate if he's a #1 or not, but he's certainly the Pats #1) is holding out and the Pats lost any type of hold over him they hadif he did in fact get two big offers. Now he's not going to hold any qualms about sitting out until he's forced to report.

They are about to lose 2/3 of the season with their best WR and then get nothing for him in FA. (they could franchise or transition him, but that'd give him the one year salary he wanted anyway)

This isn't the end of the NE dynasty. It also isn't some terrific situation for them either.

I agree it's not a great situation, particularly when you look at the issue of franchising him.

To me him turning down a five-year extension at $31 million, with $11 million in bonuses says he's off his rocker to some degree though if he would prefer his current prospect of a holdout or trade to a lousy team over one additional year on the deal or a few million. 6 years and 40 is fairly comperable I would think.

I can't speak for him though and if the Jets or whoever wants to spend 8-10 million a season on this player I say go right ahead and live with the depleted state of receivers currently on the roster.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #141
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It's ESPN, so take it for what it is worth, but while driving out to lunch, they repeatedly said that sources have indicated that NE is asking for 2 1st round picks which is blatantly absurd for a WR of Branch's caliber. They don't want to pay him like a #1 WR, but they want more than Moss was worth in a trade? If true, and if the Jets or Seahawks are offering a 1st and they turn it down, I think Branch could be upset enough to sit out until week 11.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #142
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
if he would prefer his current prospect of a holdout or trade to a lousy team over one additional year on the deal or a few million.
Seattle is lousy?
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:47 PM   #143
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
It's ESPN, so take it for what it is worth, but while driving out to lunch, they repeatedly said that sources have indicated that NE is asking for 2 1st round picks which is blatantly absurd for a WR of Branch's caliber. They don't want to pay him like a #1 WR, but they want more than Moss was worth in a trade? If true, and if the Jets or Seahawks are offering a 1st and they turn it down, I think Branch could be upset enough to sit out until week 11.

Apparently they're going with precedent on this one and asking for what Seattle got for Galloway - which is ironic since Seattle may be one of the teams they are dealing with.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-01-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:47 PM   #144
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Seattle is lousy?

No, of course not. I had Jets on the brain.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #145
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Apparently they're going with precedent on this one and asking for what Seattle got for Galloway - which is ironic since Seattle may be one of the teams they are dealing with.

Right. He is essentially franchised without using the tag.

And in all likelyhood the franchise player next year unless a team ponies up a first round pick at least.

He will have 3 options:

1. Play out his deal, become a free agent and either sign with NE or become franchise tagged.

2. Sign a new deal with NE now, somewhere in the 6 per year area for 3-5 years.

3. Sit out until week 11 and then be assured of getting franchise tagged.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #146
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Right. He is essentially franchised without using the tag.

And in all likelyhood the franchise player next year unless a team ponies up a first round pick at least.

He will have 3 options:

1. Play out his deal, become a free agent and either sign with NE or become franchise tagged.

2. Sign a new deal with NE now, somewhere in the 6 per year area for 3-5 years.

3. Sit out until week 11 and then be assured of getting franchise tagged.

I don't think the third option is a bonified lock. The Patriots aren't going to be in a power position next offseason. If they franchise him, he's going to be paid amongst the top three or four WR in the game. That entire salary will count against NE's cap until he signs or is traded.

If he accepts it, it could end up costing NE a lot more in the long run. (I read something where Walter Jones repeatedly signing one year franchise tenders was worth more than if the Seahawks had just given hi a long term deal the first year)

I'm not so sure he'd get the franchise tag. I'd bet more on the transitional tag.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #147
rkmsuf
Head Coach

It's reported that it's

6 years 36 million from NY

6 years 39 from Seattle

for Branch's supposed redone deal.

And NE wants 2 #1 picks.

On the radio so no link.

What's the compensation for a transitional tag?
Old 09-01-2006, 01:03 PM   #148
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's reported that it's

6 years 36 million from NY

6 years 39 from Seattle

for Branch's supposed redone deal.

And NE wants 2 #1 picks.

On the radio so no link.

What the compensation for a transitional tag?
No compensation for that jb.

Just the chance to match it.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:04 PM   #149
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola, transitional tag is paid out at the average of the top 10, and I believe it is now a guaranteed contract tag as well. So it's likely to be never used again.

Last edited by stevew : 09-01-2006 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:04 PM   #150
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
No compensation for that jb.

Just the chance to match it.

lol

maybe they double offer