Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-27-2004, 07:55 PM   #101
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I guess they only have a 2 GB pipe or something at SI which is why they went this route.

No problem, I wa ssurprised it went as smoothly as it did for me.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:00 PM   #102
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
Tried to sign Belfour to an extension... and the board would only allow me to pay him $10,000 US????

You weren't playing as the Bruins by any chance? If that's the case, I applaud the realism.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:12 PM   #103
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Chief, SI explained that they don't have the bandwidth to serve it, so they did it a different way that most likely allowed more people to get the demo than could get past demos over the same time period. I know there were times in the past where it was much more difficult to get demos than this one was.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #104
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, I know why they did it, and that's fine. But they really should have set up mirror sites with the actual file before posting it up. There are plenty of fans of CM who have the room to host it, and it would have been nice to have the choice of going with the "quick" but complicated download from SIGames, and going with the slower, but error-free download from some impacted direct-file download mirror host.

BT makes sense for people on phone lines, and people for whom speed opf download is of utmost importance. But for those of us who have broadband and/or don't want to be adding programs just to download, this was just a needless and hair-wrenching complication.

They really should have set it up both ways (with the second way on someone else's bandwidth, which I have seen them do for CM patches).

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:47 PM   #105
Adamski47
High School JV

Sorry if this has been answered already I skimmed the first page and a half for the same problem:

ERROR
Problem getting response info [errno2] no such file or directory...

Any ideas/solutions?

Thank you!
Adamski47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:49 PM   #106
Ramzavail
College Starter

wheres the mirror - i wanna download.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:52 PM   #107
SackAttack
Head Coach

Ramza - grab me on AIM, I've got it.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:57 PM   #108
Adamski47
High School JV

Can someone send me the file via email or something? I'm having problems using the company's special download procedure (where you download the program blah blah blah). That's where my problem exists (once the install program opens).

Thank you.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:00 PM   #109
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski47
Sorry if this has been answered already I skimmed the first page and a half for the same problem:

ERROR
Problem getting response info [errno2] no such file or directory...

Any ideas/solutions?

Thank you!

Yeah, Adamski, that was one of the problems I was running into. I ended up abandoning the whole BT thing and getting help from Neuqua, who had a link to a direct download. And, in fact, here is the link:

http://www.edinburgh-capitals.com/do...hmbetademo.exe

I maybe shouldn't be giving that out, though (not sure where Neuqua got it, probably from a CM fan host site). Neuqua, if there is a problem with me posting that, let me know, and I will remove it.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:05 PM   #110
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Not really sure, the reason I did not make it public was because I actually had to do a lot of searching to find it, so I was not sure if the guy who is hosting it wanted to make it public for everybody or not.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:09 PM   #111
General Mike
Pro Starter

How big is the file?
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:13 PM   #112
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
How big is the file?
The one I'm downlloading now is 51.9 MB.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:16 PM   #113
henry296
College Starter

It is 52 MB
Old 05-27-2004, 09:19 PM   #114
scooter
High School Varsity

That direct link was posted over at SI too (that's the mirror I downloaded it from). I think one of the reasons they set it up this way is because EHM has a different (less established) community than CM. At any one time, there are probably 20 websites dedicated to all things CM. I can only think of one dedicated site for EHM. When SI posts a new demo or enhancement pack for CM, the file gets picked up by a half dozen or so websites within minutes. I just don't think the EHM community has grown to that point yet. If SI had followed their prior procedures, we probably would all still be waiting for them to reset their server with possibly one other mirror site struggling to meet the demand.

I've also heard a number of people that couldn't download it with BitTorent because they were at work with networks that wouldn't allow the kind of access that that system requires. It isn't a perfect system, but I'm not worried about it now...I'm chasing the Stanley Cup
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:24 PM   #115
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Ok then, good to hear Scooter, now I don't feel so guilty
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:29 PM   #116
Adamski47
High School JV

Thank you so much for the help Cheif Run and Neuqua!
Old 05-27-2004, 09:35 PM   #117
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Hey guys, is there an easy way to quickly run an auto-manage on my team to get started, or do I have to manually set everything myself?
Old 05-27-2004, 09:44 PM   #118
henry296
College Starter

The Season records don't have Wayne Gretzky's 92 goals.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:54 PM   #119
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thank you so much for the help Cheif Run and Neuqua!

I can't believe you totally misspelled an easy name like Chief Rum, but you got Neuqua right.

Hope you're enjoying the game.

CR

Old 05-27-2004, 09:59 PM   #120
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

OK, help a dumb Canadian. How do I edit lines? I found the line screen, and I found the "Ask Coach" button, but now that I have his lines how do I change them? How do I get Player A onto the first line?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:03 PM   #121
Johnny93g
College Starter

I know this was brought up before....but I got a few injuries...Antropov, Kaberle both were out for about a month.....I put them on injured reserve....saved it....I come back 10 mins ago....and my pro roster is 51.......Most of the St. Johns Maple leafs team was up....made me turn it off....i dont want to send them back down....I never called them up....hope this will be fixed...
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:03 PM   #122
SackAttack
Head Coach

Maple,

Click the player's uniform number to the left of his name, then click the name of the player you wish to replace over on the 'lines' side of the screen.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:04 PM   #123
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
OK, help a dumb Canadian. How do I edit lines? I found the line screen, and I found the "Ask Coach" button, but now that I have his lines how do I change them? How do I get Player A onto the first line?

Do you see the list of players.....click on there number...then put them on the line you want
Old 05-27-2004, 10:08 PM   #124
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
Do you see the list of players.....click on there number...then put them on the line you want
Ah, OK, thanks guys. I was clicking the player's name, and it just kept popping up their player card.

Still feeling my way through the interface.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:15 PM   #125
Simms
FOBL Commish

One thing I've noticed that may explain the lack of goals and/or fighting...

In the tactics screen, when you select the individual lines in order to specify how you want them to play....right-click on each of the "silhouettes" in the visual, and you can set general and specific instructions on a per-player basis.

It appears (at least in my game) that all players are defaulted to Shoot/Pass Bias = Pass and Fighting = Not Allowed.

I may be wrong about the overall effect this has on the games themselves, but nobody'd mentioned this feature yet and it's not exactly intuitive. So, if nothing else, I guess I'm bringing attention to it.

Edit: And Carry Puck = No for each player. So if I'm to understand (at least in games involving human-controlled teams), every player by default is not supposed to shoot, carry the puck, or fight.

Last edited by Simms : 05-27-2004 at 10:18 PM.
Simms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:23 PM   #126
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
One thing I've noticed that may explain the lack of goals and/or fighting...

In the tactics screen, when you select the individual lines in order to specify how you want them to play....right-click on each of the "silhouettes" in the visual, and you can set general and specific instructions on a per-player basis.

It appears (at least in my game) that all players are defaulted to Shoot/Pass Bias = Pass and Fighting = Not Allowed.

I may be wrong about the overall effect this has on the games themselves, but nobody'd mentioned this feature yet and it's not exactly intuitive. So, if nothing else, I guess I'm bringing attention to it.

Edit: And Carry Puck = No for each player. So if I'm to understand (at least in games involving human-controlled teams), every player by default is not supposed to shoot, carry the puck, or fight.

Holy crap...didnt even realize that...thanks....Mogilny will now shoot...Hoorayy
Old 05-27-2004, 10:24 PM   #127
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Questions as I play my first game:

- How are you supposed to know when a faceoff happens? The play just seems to go on and on... I assume they're happening and the play-by-play just doesn't mention it?

- I like to use the tactical view, but it seems like the location of the play will just jump from end of the ice to the other right away. My player takes a shot on net, and next thing I know the same player has the puck behind his own net

- Is it me, or is every single save an "easy" save?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:26 PM   #128
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
Would it stand to reason that even setting all your players to being allowed to fight wouldn't help, if none of the other players in the league were allowed?

It's like they let Jacques Martin program the fighting AI.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:33 PM   #129
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:

- How are you supposed to know when a faceoff happens? The play just seems to go on and on... I assume they're happening and the play-by-play just doesn't mention it?

- I like to use the tactical view, but it seems like the location of the play will just jump from end of the ice to the other right away. My player takes a shot on net, and next thing I know the same player has the puck behind his own net

I haven't actually played a game yet, but if it's anything like CM (with which my last experience was 01-02), the PbP is neither real-time, nor comprehensive. Typically you only got full detail when "something" was happening. The rest of the play took place behind the scenes in the engine. I haven't had any experience with the visual representation in CM, but I think it would stand to reason that it would be similar in this game.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:35 PM   #130
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Would it stand to reason that even setting all your players to being allowed to fight wouldn't help, if none of the other players in the league were allowed?

It's like they let Jacques Martin program the fighting AI.
Heh, that's true. Hello tons of instigators
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:37 PM   #131
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hey guys, is there an easy way to quickly run an auto-manage on my team

Sure is....just hire Gerry Macnamara as your gm and sit back and watch things unwind for the next 12 years

For Chicago fans.....Hiring Bob Pulford will have the same effect

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:53 PM   #132
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

As usual unable to decide on a team. Looking through the Blackhawks roster I see that Fluery is suspended for use of an illegal substance. Will that be an event that can happen in the game?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:11 AM   #133
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
Ok let me rephrase....I can dress 12 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 2 goalies
22 players

And...Montreal just beat Detroit 10-2..Hasek allowed 6, Joseph allowed 4

What's up with this? WHat's up with you playing this game and the Wings sucking? It's inacceptable. You're banned. Riz? Marc? Can't you do something about this? Ban him!!
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:34 AM   #134
Karim
College Starter

Great catch, Simms.

Has anyone found the trading interface? I've searched high and low...
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:36 AM   #135
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Great catch, Simms.

Under actions for individual players. You can also get to it from another teams roster menu.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:37 AM   #136
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Great catch, Simms.

Karim, I think you need to go to the team you want to trade with and maybe click on the player card and it's under "action" or something. I saw this while browsing the SI boards.

The interface will take some time to get a handle on. I had all sorts of problems with the original EHM and the first time I played CM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:41 AM   #137
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Speaking of trades, has anybody received an offer after making an inquiry for a player? All I get is the other team is not interested.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:10 AM   #138
SackAttack
Head Coach

the weird thing about the trading interface is that you can only offer FOR a player. So far as I can tell, you can't just go to a trading screen and start adding random players.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:23 AM   #139
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

Play by play only shows the 'interesting' parts of games (think of it like a mid-week sports round up from a game - it cuts out a lot of the un-exciting parts of the match) and keeps the game (reasonably) quick.

The rest happens behind the scenes (watch the stats and the pitch information screens if you want to get a feel for whats happening 'off comentary).

Hope this helps,

Marc
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:48 AM   #140
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
As usual unable to decide on a team. Looking through the Blackhawks roster I see that Fluery is suspended for use of an illegal substance. Will that be an event that can happen in the game?

No. It is like that because he was, indeed, suspended by the NHL for the entire season due to violations of the substance abuse policy. You don't think the NHL and NHLPA would agree to licensing a game that would have players busted for that kind of thing, do you?

Last edited by Tekneek : 05-28-2004 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:22 AM   #141
scooter
High School Varsity

I've struggled with the tactical screen during games as well. I read over on the SI forums that the tactical screen is supposed to have the names of the players on the ice as well, but it didn't make it into this build of the demo - expect it in the final game I guess.

Also, has anyone read the .rtf that came with the demo. It's only three pages long, but it might have some helpful info in there (I haven't read it yet ).
Old 05-28-2004, 09:30 AM   #142
druez
Banned

Quote:

Yep, most of the saves I've seen have been easy...
druez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:48 AM   #143
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Play by play only shows the 'interesting' parts of games (think of it like a mid-week sports round up from a game - it cuts out a lot of the un-exciting parts of the match) and keeps the game (reasonably) quick.

The rest happens behind the scenes (watch the stats and the pitch information screens if you want to get a feel for whats happening 'off comentary).

Hope this helps
Fair enough. I'm not sure that's the best way to do it, but if I know that's how the system is working than I can understand what's happening a little better.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:13 AM   #144
Adamski47
High School JV

Is there a way to save your progress? I Have autosave turned off.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:03 AM   #145
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
No. It is like that because he was, indeed, suspended by the NHL for the entire season due to violations of the substance abuse policy. You don't think the NHL and NHLPA would agree to licensing a game that would have players busted for that kind of thing, do you?

Didn't really expect it to be, but one could only hope.

I have a few questions. I watch hockey sometimes, but I'm not a big fan that knows what all these things mean.

I'm getting told some minor league club is offering Joe Smith a contract while he's at college and that I currently own the rights to him. What are the rights and why are teams offering a contract if I have his rights?

Whenever I look at the lines, my starting goalie is the goalie in the first line, then it shows that my backup goalie is in the second line. In the game, I don't ever see notice of the backup goalie?

For the General Manager Options screen it asks if I want to use current tactics, it's set to no? Do I want it at no, or change it to yes?

And this is based off 1-20 right? For the ratings.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:24 AM   #146
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
the weird thing about the trading interface is that you can only offer FOR a player. So far as I can tell, you can't just go to a trading screen and start adding random players.

You can Go to a team you want to trade with, select "Actions" menu from the left hand side and "Approach to trade". This will open the trade screen and you can just start adding random players.
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:40 AM   #147
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
Didn't really expect it to be, but one could only hope.

I have a few questions. I watch hockey sometimes, but I'm not a big fan that knows what all these things mean.

I'm getting told some minor league club is offering Joe Smith a contract while he's at college and that I currently own the rights to him. What are the rights and why are teams offering a contract if I have his rights?

Whenever I look at the lines, my starting goalie is the goalie in the first line, then it shows that my backup goalie is in the second line. In the game, I don't ever see notice of the backup goalie?

For the General Manager Options screen it asks if I want to use current tactics, it's set to no? Do I want it at no, or change it to yes?

And this is based off 1-20 right? For the ratings.

With re: to the backup goalie, that's just used so you can set instructions for your backup should he enter the game. He won't play unless the starter is pulled or injured.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:48 AM   #148
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

You own the NHL rights for those players. Non-NHL teams are offering them contracts. If it works like real life, I think you have one year (after they go pro) to sign them to a contract before you lose their NHL rights.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:49 AM   #149
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Is there a way to save your progress? I Have autosave turned off.

Right under the team name bar there are a number of menu headings. The one on the far right says "Game Options". In this menu you can save the game or exit it (why would you want to do that?!)
Old 05-28-2004, 12:10 PM   #150
Adamski47
High School JV

Thanks for the help with saving. I think it wouldn't work because I had autosave turned off completely (before it wasn't available to select).

My next question is this:

As the GM, it shouldn't be my job to set line tactics and other similar game approaches. I know you can have your coach set your lines for you but is there a way to let the coach do the coaching of other detailed things like tactics?

I really hope so, I just want to GM!

Thank you.