Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2003, 01:28 PM   #101
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
That was 80's campiness and lightheartedness. Get it straight!

cuervo just mentioned that tv needed more and didn't mention it had to be from the 70s. Just for the record, if I see the GG on t.v. (even for a split "oops i surfed over the channel" second) I go into convulsions.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 01:30 PM   #102
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
That was 80's campiness and lightheartedness. Get it straight!

What do you mean? Golden Girls often dealt with hard hitting, contemporary issues.

Don't you remember the one where Bee Arthur came down with Herpes after some unprotected sex with Robert Picardo?
Old 12-09-2003, 01:31 PM   #103
Bee
Pro Starter

It's Bea Arthur...watch the spelling, I don't appreciate any association with her.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 01:46 PM   #104
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by rkmsuf
What do you mean? Golden Girls often dealt with hard hitting, contemporary issues.

Don't you remember the one where Bee Arthur came down with Herpes after some unprotected sex with Robert Picardo?

"Sandra Bernhardt, ladies and gentlemen...What the f**k was THAT? I wouldn't f**k Sandra Bernhardt's p***y with Bea Arthur's d**k!"
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 02:17 PM   #105
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Well put kserra. You essentially wrote down my troubles with the show. They would have been better off doing an annual Farscape mini-series or just keeping Farscape on IMHO.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 03:02 PM   #106
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally posted by kserra
I feel the need to add my two cents here, being a complete scifi junky...

My wife and I watched it last night...I know I love my lady because she has developed a love for "Next Generation", Lord of the Rings, Taken, Stargate SG-1, and The Gunslinger Books by S. King, and many other weak but enjoyable scifi shows...and she's actually good looking...I married up and have now brainwashed her!!!

Decent show...I'll keep watching. Certainly not an "Enterprise" type abortion....

A few things that I can't help but bitch about:

--Seriously, I'm a high school teacher, I'm not brillant, but why could I predict the dialouge at certain points?

Would you rather they broke into Swaheli to keep things interesting?

Quote:

--I'm a little tired of the 20-something angst against my father crap...you're a man now...SHUT UP...it was HIS SON...

What is wrong with a brother thinking his dad did the wrong thing with his brother? If anything, that brings up an interesting point about his relationship with Zack. Were they close?

The respect and admiration of Richard Hatch to Lorne was sickening.

Quote:

--If I want "hot" sex scenes, I'll go to the Internet or give my wife an extra glass of wine...or two...as my wife said, "what kind of dorks watch scifi to wack off too?" I love my wife...

I've seen hotter sex scenes in the Golden Girls. I could have done without the initial smooch with the young man made to look like an old guy in the beginning, but overall I think the scenes with Gaius gave you a bit of "why" he betrayed the human race. (i'm sure just not any woman would have gotten access to the defense computers)

Quote:

--What I love about the Next Generation is that they allowed us to get to know the characters over time...we weren't presented with 5 or 10 different plot lines in one show...Let's see...

With only 4 hours to get it done, I don't think they can be blamed for that. Don't get me started on why TNG wasn't the greatest show of all time.

Quote:

1)there's the angst of the kid (already pisses me off...whinning little bitch),

2)the strong yet fragile and dying new President...the clear battle of wills between her and the commander...

That was obvious from 1,000 feet.

Quote:

3)anyone want to predict when they first hook up?...

4)the sassy but loveable new Starbuck who has a problem with authority but is a damn fine pilot (Hans Solo anyone)...

loveable?

Quote:

5)the asian chick who will have to deal with her own angst over leaving her co-pilot behind (her weakness reminds me of the Enterprise translator, Yoshi)...

I don't know of many that would have been "unangsted" about leaving behind a fellow crew member.

Quote:

6)the angst of the scientist who was doin' the robot...

He just signed the death warrants for most of humanity.

Quote:

7)over/under on when Starbuck and the whining guy hook up? Not to mention the angst that will create for both characters...

8)the conflict between the chief mechanic and the #2..."I only needed 40 more seconds.........." He should have been slapped and sent out the air lock with the other 80 or so crewmates...all the while being told..."the good of the many outweight the good of the few...bitch"

I think this just showed the fact that the peace-time life they have been used to translated into a lack of discipline.

Quote:

9)the age issue...are the commander and #2 still up to the task at hand, or are they relics of a forgotten time...hmmm...wonder what the answer to that one will be...

i know that isn't even all...again, i'll keep watching, but i feel like the writers of this show aren't serious scifi fans...these are tired and old bits that have been played out before...

There is nothing wrong with that. Most of what you watch today is nothing but rehashed history. As long as they do it in an entertaining way, there is nothing wrong with it.

Quote:

I'm looking for more storylines...give us some history...talk about the machines and their rise to consciousness...i think scifi fans like the genre because it is a plausible future that discusses where we are headed with society and some of the problems we may face...i'm sorry, but I just don't want half a show devoted to a woman's struggle with breast cancer while maintaining her grasp on power...

But, the main point of the original (this is basically a "new" look at the same story) was the cylon attacks and the BSG towing a rag-tag fugitive fleet to find a new home. This is basically the first show of that series.

Quote:

give me something fresh...

Would have been nice.

Quote:

again, i'll keep watching, and i'll give this show a lot of patience...hell, I'm still trying to watch Enterprise even as that show continues to lose focus of what made TNG great...

and yes, I am a HUGE scifi geek and so is my wife...she gave the show a 6/10...i'd give it a 7/10 so far...we shall see...

Kevin

I do agree that there isn't much new here, but I think this version is interesting enough.

What would you have done different with the characters/situations?
Old 12-09-2003, 03:09 PM   #107
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by RendeR
Ok, first let me apologize for ranting earlier on, no-one deserves to bear teh brunt of my bad moods. I just got really annoyed at all the negativism from people who hadn't seen minute one of the new series yet.

To continue: As I said I loved the original, but they did such a bad job writing it that I couldn't wait for the new one to be done "right" so to speak.

That being said, after seeing the first half last night....WOW, holy shit wow. I'm in love. THIS is what the original should have been, but couldn't for so many reasons. Great characters, great acting, a believable and deep thinking style of plotline. This new take on things actually makes you think about how you would feel in their place, its so much more than just eye-candy.

If this doesn't become a full time series I am going to be SO dissapointed. Hell I even like the old witch they got for the presidents role...she rox. I love the shift in the relationship between Apollo and Adama as well, talk about adding some serious backstory!

Just to respond to a couple other comments. Having the cylons be humanities mistake is far and away more compelling than them just being another lame "alien" race.

The sex scenes (which richard hatch whined so pathetically about on "cold pizza") were done perfectly. Enough to entertain but not so much as to be taudry. I'm thrilled with the character #6, because she shows the curiosity of the cylons towards their creators. The scene with the baby showed how much she wanted to understand them, and even some possible confusion or remorse when she killed it. Exceelent work there.

Starbuck I think will be fleshed out a bit more in the second half, they barely touched on her character and yes, right now she's a little freaky.

------
Edited because I'm dumb and need to read more carefully-
This next comment was actually part of a retort of taur's comments about the sex scenes on page one of the thread, I screwed up because I thought he had made those comments after seeing the movie which it appears in fact he ahd not (sorry dude!) but I want to leave this next part here because I think its a valid statement of why the sex scenes fit where they are and were done so well, maybe Richard hatch can read this and STFU for awhile =)
-----
Fiction is an entertaining lie, and the best lies contain partial truths. The truth is that we are a society in which sex is an integral part. Sex has made more people do dispicable things than any other cause. baltar's weakness in this category, to me at least, brings this story some serious integrity. Try not focusing on 1 scene in the movie and making a judgement on that alone, Don't let 2 minutes in 2 hours taint an amazing story for you.

Ren

Oddly enough I feel somewhat opposite of you on this. As someone else pointed out the writers don't seem to be sci fi fans and therefore needed to borrow extensivley from other sci fi shows and movies. This is a decent (no better) script with plenty of eye candy. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but it could have been so much better. Also, to me the the story lost some serious integrity when a guy who seems to have no problem getting laid gives his fling unsupervised (or any kind of for that matter) access to critical defense information. I am going to continue to hope that the pathetic and whiney Richard Hatch will get someone to make his version so I can get a good story to go with my eye candy.
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 07:57 PM   #108
Bonegavel

Making a prediction about tonight's episode. I think something unexpected and "fresh" will occur. Only because I think there has been so much been there done that in the first night. We'll see.

Old 12-09-2003, 10:06 PM   #109
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

[queue Mr. Burn's voice]
EXCELLENT...
[/end Mr. Burn's voice]

I really enjoyed the show. Yup, there are holes in the plot, but the story looks like it will be fun, and the space battles are going to be yummy!

BTW...for some mild amusment, head on over to the boards at scifi.com/battlestar to watch the battle between the "old" fans and the "new" fans. Man, geeks are some angry people!!!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 10:07 PM   #110
Bonegavel

will be fun? I think that was it.

Old 12-09-2003, 11:08 PM   #111
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonegavel
Making a prediction about tonight's episode. I think something unexpected and "fresh" will occur. Only because I think there has been so much been there done that in the first night. We'll see.

It would appear that we have a bingo.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:35 PM   #112
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fonzie
It would appear that we have a bingo.

What unexpected and "fresh" thing happened?
Old 12-09-2003, 11:39 PM   #113
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

The possibility of Boomer being a Cylon?
Old 12-09-2003, 11:43 PM   #114
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Didn't expect it to be her. Both my roomie and I had the communications officer pegged as the surprise Cylon. The plot twist itself was neither unexpected or "fresh".
Old 12-09-2003, 11:49 PM   #115
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Nyarlahotep
Didn't expect it to be her. Both my roomie and I had the communications officer pegged as the surprise Cylon. The plot twist itself was neither unexpected or "fresh".

It was certainly telegraphed that an undercover cylon was going to be found on board, and I also expected it would be the communications officer. However, I found the selection of Boomer as the undercover Cylon to be both unexpected and "fresh", insofar as they took an established "good guy" character from the original series and turned him/her into an agent of the enemy.

Assuming, of course, that we aren't being led astray...
Old 12-10-2003, 12:01 AM   #116
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

I was led astray when I talked myself into giving the show a chance. If they make it into a series I won't bother watching to find out. The eye candy wore thin in part two and all that was left was a badly written script and a bunch of characters that I have little or no interest in.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:15 AM   #117
Bonegavel

I didn't expect you to be playing so long with Nefer's titties that you didn't enjoy the show.

Didn't the picture of Adama's wife looked a lot like the cylon babe?

Old 12-10-2003, 12:45 AM   #118
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

No.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:30 AM   #119
Bee
Pro Starter

I'm a little confused about all the folks here disappointed that this is a rehash of the old show....err...isn't that what it was supposed to be? Did you also go to see the movie "The Two Towers" and complain that it was unoriginal because it followed the same story as the book?
Old 12-10-2003, 06:34 AM   #120
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
"Sandra Bernhardt, ladies and gentlemen...What the fuck was THAT? I wouldn't fuck Sandra Bernhardt's pussy with Bea Arthur's dick!"

Where have I heard that before?
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:02 AM   #121
kurtism
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby
Where have I heard that before?

It's a Jeffrey Ross line from one of those Comedy Central celebrity roasts... I forget who got roasted, however...
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:19 AM   #122
Subby
lolzcat

Yeah I found the thread.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:20 AM   #123
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

Ok maybe I missed something here:

Boomer is not a coomunications officer, she's a pilot

the guy they pegged as a cylon and left behind was a public relations guy, not a comm officer either

so am I just confused or are you guys talking about the wrong person?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:22 AM   #124
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
I'm a little confused about all the folks here disappointed that this is a rehash of the old show....err...isn't that what it was supposed to be? Did you also go to see the movie "The Two Towers" and complain that it was unoriginal because it followed the same story as the book?

What the fuck "The Two Towers" movie did you watch? The main complaints I ever heard were on how it didn't follow the book.

There hasn't been one complaint of this show rehashing the original since your last post, so why are you suddenly confused?
Old 12-10-2003, 08:27 AM   #125
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Ok maybe I missed something here:

Boomer is not a coomunications officer, she's a pilot

the guy they pegged as a cylon and left behind was a public relations guy, not a comm officer either

so am I just confused or are you guys talking about the wrong person?

You missed the first sentence. Reread what you quoted and include the first sentence and that should clear up your confusion.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:35 AM   #126
RendeR
Coordinator

Just to comment on something:

Richard Hatch actually had a hand in writing some of the original series episodes, they brought him into the writing area when they realized how passionate he was about the show. Notice now, just for a moment, how bad those episodes still turned out.

I just don't see where Hatch could have come up with "better stories" the guy loves the show, no doubt about it, but then again, its the only thing he's ever done that was really popular. He's also a control freak. When they rehashed the show for the late 80's version which stunk up the airwaves, they went to hatch first, because of his dedication and popularity, they finally had to tell him to go to hell because his demands for control over how things were written and done were simply rediculous.

Hatch was a good Apollo. He should shut up and let it go at that. I'd rather have the new version and not have to worry about his self agrandizement ruining a great thing.

And for those who keep complaining that its not "fresh" or "new" DUH, its not supposed to be. They are telling the same story from 25 years ago, but putting a more real face on it. They took a sci fi story and universe and brought it into the 21 century by making it more realistic. People relate better to this because it isn't a complete fantasy. People can see this and say "wow, could this really happen?" While still telling a great sci fi story.

I personally get real tired of every sci fi show coming up with some "super duper flash gun ray blaster from hell" to win the day. ST:TNG got really bad about this, with geordi or the runt always thinking up some new and amazing way to handle the situation. Its nice once in a while, but its more boring than watching paint peel when they do it every episode.

I want to feel like I could really be one of the characters. Like I could step right into the screen and it wouldn't feel like a freakish change. This version feels that way to me.

Now if they could just turn baltar into a believable character I think I'd be all set. I can understand someone being so high on themselves that they act like he does with the multiple women n stuff, but the allowing of #6 to get into the computers was a real stretch, and his personality is just not believable at this point.

Hopefully they'll get a chance to make many more episodes and things will flesh out to everyone's liking. Hell look what they did with Stargate: SG1, talk about taking a really weak movie and making something amazing out of it.

I have faith in Sci-Fi Channel

Ren

(edited for grammar and some spelling)

Last edited by RendeR : 12-10-2003 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:40 AM   #127
RendeR
Coordinator

ahh yes, I see now, sorry =)

I get confused easy, you'll understand when you turn 35
Old 12-10-2003, 08:41 AM   #128
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I was definately surprised by the Boomer revelation. It's setting up to be a great series. For those that didn't like it...I respect that.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:42 AM   #129
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
What the fuck "The Two Towers" movie did you watch? The main complaints I ever heard were on how it didn't follow the book.

There hasn't been one complaint of this show rehashing the original since your last post, so why are you suddenly confused?

A little sensitive are we?

You obviously completely missed my point on the "Two Towers" comparison. Both BSG and Two Towers are a retelling of a story. Both varied to some extent from the original story, but they both have stuck to the "traditional" style of the original. Expecting major changes to the style just doesn't make any sense to me, that's not the goal of the movies.

There's several comments throughout the thread that talks about how this is a rehash of the old series, nothing new here, same old scifi story, etc. Well guess what...that's exactly what it is, expecting something else seems naive to me. And believe it or not, there's no forum rules that require that I respond only to comments made after my last post.

Last edited by Bee : 12-10-2003 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:03 AM   #130
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
ahh yes, I see now, sorry =)

I get confused easy, you'll understand when you turn 35

Heh, I'm in trouble in a couple years.

To answer your other post:
Screw Richard Hatch's writing. The premise for his show is better. Instead of them rehashing the old sucky scripts and just making them different by throwing in every sci fi cliche they can think of, they could have done something that is fairly original. And if I recall correctly the dogfight in his teaser looked better than they did in the one that actually had a company putting money into it. The new one would have to be great in order for him to ruin a great thing, and it isn't. There was nothing added that makes it feel any more real to me. SG1 is a bad example of the skill of the Sci Fi Channel, that show was great long before it came to that network. I had faith in them for Farscape and they blew it.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:21 AM   #131
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
A little sensitive are we?

You obviously completely missed my point on the "Two Towers" comparison. Both BSG and Two Towers are a retelling of a story. Both varied to some extent from the original story, but they both have stuck to the "traditional" style of the original. Expecting major changes to the style just doesn't make any sense to me, that's not the goal of the movies.

There's several comments throughout the thread that talks about how this is a rehash of the old series, nothing new here, same old scifi story, etc. Well guess what...that's exactly what it is, expecting something else seems naive to me. And believe it or not, there's no forum rules that require that I respond only to comments made after my last post.

I wasn't being sensitive and I didn't miss your point, it was quite the opposite. If the main complaint I heard was that it didn't follow the book, then sci fi/ fantasy fans obviously don't have a problem with things retelling a story unless in the retelling it is made worse.

I don't think anybody that posted here didn't expect it to be anything but a rehash of the old series, since that is what they have clearly promoted it as. And I never said what you could or couldn't respond to. I asked what made you SUDDENLY confused when when you didn't seem to be in your last post almost a day ago.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:46 AM   #132
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
I wasn't being sensitive and I didn't miss your point, it was quite the opposite. If the main complaint I heard was that it didn't follow the book, then sci fi/ fantasy fans obviously don't have a problem with things retelling a story unless in the retelling it is made worse.

I don't think anybody that posted here didn't expect it to be anything but a rehash of the old series, since that is what they have clearly promoted it as. And I never said what you could or couldn't respond to. I asked what made you SUDDENLY confused when when you didn't seem to be in your last post almost a day ago.

If you didn't miss my point, then your previous comments about "what movie I saw" make absolutely no sense to me.

I'm not going to go through this thread quoting the comments about how BSG looked like the same old thing. They're there in various forms.

Obviously you seem to be stuck on my statement "I'm a little confused by all the folks here disappointed that this is a rehash...". Not sure why you are having problems with this as it seems pretty self explanatory to me. Just because I didn't reference this in a previous post really doesn't mean this was a SUDDEN revelation I had when I made the post.

I really don't understand your issue with my comment, but obviously you have a problem with it.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:47 AM   #133
Bonegavel

My comments on new and "fresh" (quoted from an earlier poster) was basically taking the known story-line (which yes, they were rehasing) and throw a few nice twists in. I think they did that.

I also think they peppered the 4 hours with enough interesting hooks/situations to set it up nicely for a series (no duh)

All in all, I think it was one of the better 4 hours I spent watching television in a long time.

Old 12-10-2003, 10:32 AM   #134
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
If you didn't miss my point, then your previous comments about "what movie I saw" make absolutely no sense to me.

I'm not going to go through this thread quoting the comments about how BSG looked like the same old thing. They're there in various forms.

Obviously you seem to be stuck on my statement "I'm a little confused by all the folks here disappointed that this is a rehash...". Not sure why you are having problems with this as it seems pretty self explanatory to me. Just because I didn't reference this in a previous post really doesn't mean this was a SUDDEN revelation I had when I made the post.

I really don't understand your issue with my comment, but obviously you have a problem with it.

My comment meant that the complaints for that movie are fairly well known and unless you count the fools who claimed that the title was taken from the WTC tragedy, they have nothing to do with being unoriginal.

I guess I do have a problem when people say they are confused by something and have not taken the first chance possible to clear it up.

Like Bonegerbil, my comments on new and "fresh" were about the twists, but instead focused on how they were neither. There really hasn't been complaints on how it is a rehash in the way you are making it out be. There were some about how it was a rehash instead of a new story and there were some about character changes, but nobody has posted since Monday night complaining that they were surprised to find that this was a knock off and they thought it was unoriginal. I know you don't want to go through the thread and quote posts, but if you could just point me to one of that nature I would greatly appreciate it. I guess I am just really curious who the people you are calling naive are. And for the record both TTT and the new BSG both did have major changes to the sytle or the originals.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:29 PM   #135
Bonegavel

bonegerbil. Excellent NylonHoseTent.

I still put the question to you, what new and fresh approach would you have used?

Old 12-10-2003, 12:38 PM   #136
korme
Go Reds

Did anyone see Family Guy last night?

"And that concludes our show. Coming up next, Battlestar Galactia Forum."

(Fat KISS fan puts on a Battlestar helmet.)

Robot voice: Welcome to Battlestar Galactia Forum.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 01:05 PM   #137
Raven Hawk
College Starter

I want a series made out of this. There are very few shows on TV that I will take time out of my day to watch. This is one that I would watch.

I am an old BSG fan, but I really like what they have done with new one. I don't care what Richard Hatch says. He's a whiney bitch. He was a whiney bitch when he played Apollo. I think that SciFi has something good here and I hope they extend.

The battle scene between the Galactica and the Cylon Base Star was awesome, especially the combat landing which showed the Vipers coming in fast and skipping their landings.

I think they beat the "The lives of many outweigh the lives of a few" premise into the ground.

Overall, I really liked it. I want more.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:17 PM   #138
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
My comment meant that the complaints for that movie are fairly well known and unless you count the fools who claimed that the title was taken from the WTC tragedy, they have nothing to do with being unoriginal.

While that's true it has absolutely nothing to do with my comparison which is why I think you are still missing my original point.

Quote:
I guess I am just really curious who the people you are calling naive are.

I didn't call anyone naive, I said expecting something new from a series that was known to be a rehash was naive.

Quote:
And for the record both TTT and the new BSG both did have major changes to the sytle or the originals.

I disagree. IMO they had at most a minor change to the styles of the originals.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:22 PM   #139
Gambit
n00b

I'm in the minority because I didn't like all of it. The story was decent in areas, bad in areas, and good in areas. I don't think the gender changes were necessary. The main reason for the Starbuck gender change was to "explore sexual tension between Starbuck and Apollo". Newsflash, you could have done that if they were both still men(not my cup of tea, but it would have been an eye opener). Boomer being a girl probably had to do something with the decision to make her a Cylon. 2 male and 2 female models were shown in the end.

The effects were cool. I'm really happy to see that they made the battles as "real" as they could. The massive abuse of tactical nukes was a bit much though

If I had to give it a score out of 10 it would be an overall 6/10(for me)
Old 12-10-2003, 01:28 PM   #140
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
bonegerbil. Excellent NylonHoseTent.

I still put the question to you, what new and fresh approach would you have used?

Well at least you were more original than the new BSG. You only recyceled 2/3's of the name you used earlier in the thread, and I guess they weren't recycling because they probably didn't write the shows and movies they had to steal plots from.

How can you still put a question to me that you never put to me? Or was the question in the post that you exclusively quoted kserra in really directed at me?

There were any number of things they could have done to come up with something a different or at least not stolen from a movie which came out last month. When kserra had some suggestions on something not so cliche that could have been done you countered by saying that it didn't fit with them redoing the original series. Who said they had to redo the original series? And I have to admit that the rise of the Cylon race would be a rip off of the Animatrix, at least it is less well known and less recent the the Matrix rip off they did use.I think it would have been far more interesting to see a prequel to the original explaining this and watching a newly commisioned BSG enter the Cylon War instead of a newly decomisioned BSG do the same thing the original did with a few predictable and lame plot twists thrown in. Or they could have gone in the other direction. They could have mixed this cast with the original and shown what was going on with the original crew and their families 25 years later. All I know about the one they did was that their "new" twists didn't add to the enjoyment of myself or the people I watched with. In fact we found them so lame and predictable that any chance of us watching the series is over. how are those for at least less stale and recycled than what we saw. If you really want more ideas, I'm sure I would charge less than the people who wrote the new stuff charged for a script that was poorly written and had no new material whatsoever. If you are really so easily entertained I'm sure you would love my episode where they meet a space pirate and go on a hunt for The Black Pearl (the fastest ship in the galaxy).
Old 12-10-2003, 01:31 PM   #141
Bonegavel

I doubt if there are any tree-hugging cylons, so they could stockup on as many nukes as needed.

Old 12-10-2003, 01:57 PM   #142
Bonegavel

Quote:
Well at least you were more original than the new BSG. You only recyceled 2/3's of the name you used earlier in the thread, and I guess they weren't recycling because they probably didn't write the shows and movies they had to steal plots from.

How can you still put a question to me that you never put to me? Or was the question in the post that you exclusively quoted kserra in really directed at me?

I meant to say, I now put the question to you.

Don't doubt the power of 2/3.

I was hoping to see a good retelling of the original story. I feel that I received that. I thought there was a good mix of old/new, regardless of the comparisons to "matrix", "honeymooners" or whatever other movie or show you want to throw in. Besides, to think the matrix was original is laughable as well.

[edit: If the new BSG ripped anyone off, it is The Terminator series]

Last edited by Bonegavel : 12-10-2003 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:07 PM   #143
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
[b]While that's true it has absolutely nothing to do with my comparison which is why I think you are still missing my original point.

[b]

I didn't call anyone naive, I said expecting something new from a series that was known to be a rehash was naive.

I disagree. IMO they had at most a minor change to the styles of the originals.

I get your point, as inadequate as it is, and you conitinue to miss mine. I will state it for you: People don't complain about this kind of thing unless it is poorly done. Followed closely by: The complaints in this thread are for the most part that the "new" stuff is unoriginal.

Exactly, you said thinking like that is naive and that thoughts like that have been expressed in this thread. I'm pretty sure that amounts to calling someone naive. I am still waiting for that one example by the way.

Unless my memory of Tolkien's version has about completely failed me,an army of elves arriving at Helm's Deep does very much change the style. AS for the new BSG they have pretty much made it a soap opera, which is majorly different from the original.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:16 PM   #144
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I meant to say, I now put the question to you.

Don't doubt the power of 2/3.

I was hoping to see a good retelling of the original story. I feel that I received that. I thought there was a good mix of old/new, regardless of the comparisons to "matrix", "honeymooners" or whatever other movie or show you want to throw in. Besides, to think the matrix was original is laughable as well.

[edit: If the new BSG ripped anyone off, it is The Terminator series]

Sorry if I didn't make it clear, I wan't claiming the matrix was original. I brought it up because it used the same plot last month, if T3 had come out more recently than the new Matrix I would have used it.

*I was hoping for a good retelling as well, since that was all they were willing to offer. I just don't feel I got it.*

Last edited by Nyarlahotep : 12-10-2003 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:22 PM   #145
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I doubt if there are any tree-hugging cylons, so they could stockup on as many nukes as needed.

I thought model 11 was a tree-hugger?

*If a ship can take a direct hit with a nuke, I would have used the hell out of them too.*

Last edited by Nyarlahotep : 12-10-2003 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:46 PM   #146
Bonegavel

Quote:
Sorry if I didn't make it clear, I wan't claiming the matrix was original. I brought it up because it used the same plot last month, if T3 had come out more recently than the new Matrix I would have used it.

*I was hoping for a good retelling as well, since that was all they were willing to offer. I just don't feel I got it.*

Fair enough.

As recent as the Fellowship of the Ring, I was a hardcore "This better be exactly like the book" or, "Give me something I haven't seen before damnit!" kind of person. Call it intellectual laziness, or whatever, but I am slowly learning to overcome that.

Peter Jackson was over a barrel. How do you bring such an immense body of work (not talking about his huge ass) to the screen in only 3 movies? The books were never written to be a film and it is so immense, to do it justice, it really should have been 15 full length movies.

It can be argued that his additions/subtractions (like the elves at helm's deep) could have been better, but by the time Two Towers came out, I waited for the DVD and watched it for what it was, as opposed to what I thought it should be. And, I enjoyed it.

Now, crap is still crap, but Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors for a reason. I can't defend the fact that the new BSG may have been a bit stale in its scope, but I watched it hoping to be entertained and I was.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:58 PM   #147
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I still don't see the whole argument of "it's been done before." There are so many avenues that a storyteller can take a story, even if the genesis is similar to another story.

For example, let's take the oft-mentioned "sex bot".
Sure it's been done. But isn't it logical that a race of robots would try to create infiltration units to use against their enemy? So, many stories will start here, because it is a logical starting point. Now, BG decided to make their hot.
Been done you say?
Well, BG's robot is hot AND religious!! Never thought of that one, did you?

I say give them a chance to tell the story. Break the sci-fi geek mold and expand your mind. Gather more evidence before passing judgement! You might like it!
Old 12-10-2003, 03:08 PM   #148
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Fair enough.

As recent as the Fellowship of the Ring, I was a hardcore "This better be exactly like the book" or, "Give me something I haven't seen before damnit!" kind of person. Call it intellectual laziness, or whatever, but I am slowly learning to overcome that.

Peter Jackson was over a barrel. How do you bring such an immense body of work (not talking about his huge ass) to the screen in only 3 movies? The books were never written to be a film and it is so immense, to do it justice, it really should have been 15 full length movies.

It can be argued that his additions/subtractions (like the elves at helm's deep) could have been better, but by the time Two Towers came out, I waited for the DVD and watched it for what it was, as opposed to what I thought it should be. And, I enjoyed it.

Now, crap is still crap, but Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors for a reason. I can't defend the fact that the new BSG may have been a bit stale in its scope, but I watched it hoping to be entertained and I was.

I wasn't using the elves to complain that is varied slightly from the book or if it was better or worse. I was saying that it brought a major change from what Tolkien was saying in the books. One of the key elements of the book was that it was man standing alone (yes there were several races in the fellowship) against his enemy. It has been a while, but I am pretty sure they made a big deal about how the other races wouldn't help fight Sauron. If I had just been trying to nit-pick I would have used teh moronic scene with Elrond and Arwen.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:20 PM   #149
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
I still don't see the whole argument of "it's been done before." There are so many avenues that a storyteller can take a story, even if the genesis is similar to another story.

For example, let's take the oft-mentioned "sex bot".
Sure it's been done. But isn't it logical that a race of robots would try to create infiltration units to use against their enemy? So, many stories will start here, because it is a logical starting point. Now, BG decided to make their hot.
Been done you say?
Well, BG's robot is hot AND religious!! Never thought of that one, did you?

I say give them a chance to tell the story. Break the sci-fi geek mold and expand your mind. Gather more evidence before passing judgement! You might like it!

I gathered four hours of evidence. That is all I need unless they plan on getting Johnny Cochrane to use the Chewbacca defense, that show has been found guilty of sucking. If I am going to have to look that hard to find something new, then I may as well spend my time working and at least get paid for the effort. You challenge me to expand my mind, well I challenege you to next accept crap on television. Maybe if more people didn't welcome cliched plots writers would be forced to come up with something new. The religion thing could be new, or it could just be what the new cylons call their creator in a n effort to emulate Man. And that, I'm pretty sure, has been done before.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:24 PM   #150
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
I get your point, as inadequate as it is, and you conitinue to miss mine. I will state it for you: People don't complain about this kind of thing unless it is poorly done. Followed closely by: The complaints in this thread are for the most part that the "new" stuff is unoriginal.

Exactly, you said thinking like that is naive and that thoughts like that have been expressed in this thread. I'm pretty sure that amounts to calling someone naive. I am still waiting for that one example by the way.

Unless my memory of Tolkien's version has about completely failed me,an army of elves arriving at Helm's Deep does very much change the style. AS for the new BSG they have pretty much made it a soap opera, which is majorly different from the original.

I give up. This is a complete waste of my time.