Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-03-2006, 08:33 AM   #101
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Isn't Steve Carrell married to the cheerleader in real life?
Yes.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:37 AM   #102
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD View Post
I thought the ending was a cop out, once again illustrating the fundamental difference in tone between the British and American versions. The American version has continually shown an unwillingness to commit to the tradgedy of its characters. Not that it doesn't explore this tradgedy, and quite well, but all too often it is undermined by a scene that rings emotionally and psychologically untrue; scenes of forced, unnatural humor that seem almost offending in their condescension, as if the writers think we are incapable of dealing with raw emotion without the release of a dumbly comic safety valve.

All that said, it's still the best sitcom in some time.

Oh, and the best line of the season came when Dwight asked Ryan, "What is Michael Scott's biggest fear?"

"Loneliness... maybe women."
You, uh, are aware that it's a comedy, yes?
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:39 AM   #103
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths View Post
You, uh, are aware that it's a comedy, yes?

Interesting you say that. I look at it as a comedy with dramatic moments and look forward to the funny parts. The Jim/Pam thing I could somewhat care less unless it contributes to the comedy. My wife, on the other hand, likes the Jim/Pam thing more than the comedy; so to her it's probably more of a drama with comedic elements.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:40 AM   #104
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

I like the emotional moments as well as the comedy. At the end of the day, though, it's a comedy.

Alternately, one could view it as an incredibly sinister tragedy, cloaked in light-heartedness. But they'd be wrong. >.>
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:16 AM   #105
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Isn't Steve Carrell married to the cheerleader in real life? She used to be on SNL, for like a season when Cheri Oteri and Will Ferrell first started, I think.

The guy that sits in front of Jim at his new office cracks me up. Almost everything he says/does is gold.

yes, they are married, according to IMDB.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #106
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

I thought the episode had way too many awkward Michael moments, and not enough of the other characters to balance the show out.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #107
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I thought the Ryan moments were awesome - the Indian family checking him out for marriage.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:09 PM   #108
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD View Post
once again illustrating the fundamental difference in tone between the British and American versions. The American version has continually shown an unwillingness to commit to the tradgedy of its characters.

Ironically, this is why I consider the American version to be LIGHTYEARS ahead of the British one. The tragedy, which IMO brought down the British office, is more balanced in the American version. After all, this is not a Greek play... humor and desperation can mix and well, may I add.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:37 PM   #109
RedKingGold
College Starter

OK, the whole "Future Dwight Faxing" thing in the opener was the most hilarious thing I've seen in a long, long time.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #110
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
OK, the whole "Future Dwight Faxing" thing in the opener was the most hilarious thing I've seen in a long, long time.

yeah, I didn't stop laughing for about 30 seconds..
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #111
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:

Probably my favorite bit on the show since last season when Jim put all of Dwight's stuff in the vending machine.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:19 PM   #112
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Or when Pam and Jim convinced Dwight that it was Friday when it was only Thursday.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:18 AM   #113
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

WE DID IT!!! How'd we do it?

Hehe... very good episode. A little more drama and a little less comedy, but it worked nicely. Steve Carrell was brilliant, you could actually hear the pain in Michael Scott's voice when realizing it was all over, when he was telling Dwight that he liked all of his time at Dunder-Mifflin, and then at the end when he believed no one would like him anymore because he let them all down and they lost their jobs. Just wonderfully done.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-10-2006 at 12:52 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:20 AM   #114
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
WE DID IT!!! How'd we do it?

Hehe... very good episode. A little more drama and a little less comedy, but it worked nicely. Steve Carrell was brilliant, you could actually hear the pain in Michael Scott's voice when realizing it was all over, when he was telling Dwight that he liked all of his time at Dunder-Mifflin, and then at the end when he believed no one would like him anymore because he let them all down and they lost their jobs. Just wonderfully done.

Yup and yup.

OMG, we couldn't stop laughing at the WE DID IT!! scene. I laughed so hard my throat hurt... didn't know that was possible.

I like how Jim and that other chick are coming aboard, should be an interesting dynamic between the females. Oh I'm gonna LLLOOVVVEE IT!!

Oh yeah, and how about Stanley's reaction when he found out the office wasn't closing? LOL Or how about Ryan's reaction when Kelly ran up to him and hugged him! Gosh darnit, he can't break up with her now.

I love this show
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:34 AM   #115
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Ryan's expression was GOLD!!!

The preview of next week's episode was great as well...Michael asking the new, "exotic-looking" chick if her dad was a G.I....awesome!!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:43 AM   #116
Raiders Army
Coordinator

That was a great episode. The worst part about it was waiting until next week! In a way, I thought everyone except for Stanley (and Toby at the end) was rationalizing losing their jobs as a good thing. I hope that the guy who calls Jim "Big Tuna" comes to the Scranton Branch as well.

Question: If Jim was going to be the #2 guy for the Northeast Region and his boss was going to take over the Northeast Region, who's doing it now? And why didn't they offer Jim the Northeast Region (other than to get him back to Scranton)?
Old 11-10-2006, 07:55 AM   #117
Gangrel
n00b

I would say Micheal will still lead the branch, with Jim as #2. And Assistant to the Regional Manager, Dwight K Schrute, will become insanely jealous....
Gangrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #118
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Everyone should go to NBC.com and watch the Producer's cut. There are a ton of scenes that are added, including a hilarious running bit with Meredith.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #119
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Question: If Jim was going to be the #2 guy for the Northeast Region and his boss was going to take over the Northeast Region, who's doing it now? And why didn't they offer Jim the Northeast Region (other than to get him back to Scranton)?

My take is that the #2 position is a new one they are creating since they will have to cover a much larger region than they were before. And yes, it's going to be great to see how Dwight reacts to having Jim as a boss. (Crap, Jonathan, it's a freakin' show. Don't think about this stuff so much)
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #120
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post

I think Scranton becomes the new base of the NE region. Jim is #2 because he's not ready to be #1, and they're basically grooming him for the job.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:41 PM   #121
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Everyone should go to NBC.com and watch the Producer's cut. There are a ton of scenes that are added, including a hilarious running bit with Meredith.

my tivo screwed up last night and didnt record the normal show, so i watched this online this morning....i was dying to find out who meredith made the deal with...i kept waiting for them to cut to michael in the "confessional" type scene for him to explain what happened..

as far as the way the people reacted to losing their jobs, creed selling off all the pieces of the computer was great, and then the line at the end "Creed's buying shots" had me falling off my chair.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #122
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL.. just saw the Producer's Cut... Meredith and Creed were hilarious! And Kelly having everyone sign the Company Directory like a yearbook was great .

And this show continues to impress me. They've made Roy into a sympathetic character... I never thought they could do that.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #123
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Or when Pam and Jim convinced Dwight that it was Friday when it was only Thursday.

i'm partial to:

a) moving Dwight's office to the bathroom
b) weighting the phone with pennies everyday, then removing them all
c) now I will add "future dwight"

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #124
14ers
High School Varsity

The Office Season 1 will be at Best Buy for $9.99 on Black Friday.

http://bfads.net/pop/4021

Last edited by 14ers : 11-17-2006 at 10:09 AM.
14ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:36 AM   #125
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post

THAT one was the best. LOL, I'm cracking up thinking about it.

Though I think this new guy (what's his name) from Stamford will give Dwight a nice run for his money .
Old 11-17-2006, 10:43 AM   #126
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Actually, he used nickels.

/Mr. Pickypants
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #127
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post
The Office Season 1 will be at Best Buy for $9.99 on Black Friday.

http://bfads.net/pop/4021

Just buy it now.

Best buy has a 30 day price adjustment whenever an item goes on sale within 30 days and they also price match up to 30 days too. Just save the receipt.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:18 PM   #128
14ers
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
Just buy it now.

Best buy has a 30 day price adjustment whenever an item goes on sale within 30 days and they also price match up to 30 days too. Just save the receipt.
I don't think they match those Black Friday limited time offer deals, or I would be there this weekend buying my TV.

Edit: The Best Buy site says they do not match "Limited Quantity" offers, and the product must be returned when the item is on sale and available for a price match.

Last edited by 14ers : 11-17-2006 at 12:23 PM.
14ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:21 PM   #129
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post
I don't think they match those Black Friday limited time offer deals, or I would be there this weekend buying my TV.

Best buys does.

If you already know the deals ahead of time just get them early and go back with receipt to customer service desk to get an adjustment. That Best Buy policy on 30 days price adjustment.

Or just return the items unopened with receipt and repurchase it with the sale price at customer service.

Beats the long lines.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #130
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Though I think this new guy (what's his name) from Stamford will give Dwight a nice run for his money .

Oh yeah, the exchange at the end of the show was hysterical. The whole show I think was the best one yet.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:40 PM   #131
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, I agree that this last episode was very good. I like what some of the new characters bring.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:43 PM   #132
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Just hope they don't kill off the new characters like Lost.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:43 PM   #133
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Yeah, I agree that this last episode was very good. I like what some of the new characters bring.

Yup, I was pretty excited to see the guy from Stamford (what the hell is his name?) come aboard. The Foxbury scene with Michael and him was so funny my stomach hurt.

Edit to add: And the black guy looking over at Stanley giving a pump had Ant and I rolling on the floor!

Last edited by Lorena : 11-17-2006 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:07 PM   #134
highfiveoh
Banned

The suck-up from Stamford's name is Andy. And maybe Stanley would've given that guy some love back on Pretzel Day.
highfiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #135
bryce
High School Varsity

Pam's look was fantastic after Michael said to Jim's new girl (forget her name), "You look exotic. Was your dad a GI?"

Last edited by bryce : 11-17-2006 at 02:46 PM.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:53 PM   #136
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
Pam's look was fantastic after Michael said to Jim's new girl (forget her name), "You look exotic. Was your dad a GI?"

Perfect expression.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:48 PM   #137
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Andy is by far the best edition to the Scranton Branch. Last night's episode was far better than previous ones this season. It was nice to see some of the old dynamics come back as well as introducing new ones.

"Let me show you where the slaves work."
Old 11-17-2006, 07:15 PM   #138
Celeval
Pro Starter

I'm unsure, actually, about Andy... as long as he doesn't turn into a Dwight clone, he's okay.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:06 PM   #139
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I really think there are quite a few nice dynamics at play now and it will be interesting to see how Jim grows as a manager.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:20 PM   #140
Lorena
Unregistered

Was The Office televised this week? Dammit, I didn't see it on our DvR... I'm a be pissed of it didn't record.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:28 PM   #141
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Was The Office televised this week?

No.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:00 PM   #142
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Was The Office televised this week? Dammit, I didn't see it on our DvR... I'm a be pissed of it didn't record.

The League blacked it out in your area because the stadium didn't sell out in time. That's what you yokels get fer not supporting yer team.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #143
Butter
Coordinator

What an episode this week. An instant classic.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:07 PM   #144
timmae
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
What an episode this week. An instant classic.

Yes, brilliant right from the start... even after the promos that had shown it to death, Dwight's "Christmas miracle" line was awesome.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #145
Jas_lov
College Starter

I agree, with a full hour they had a better chance to develop all of the characters and storylines more. Jim's rebound girl talk with Michael at the end makes us think he was really talking about himself and Karen and that he still has feelings for Pam. We didn't hear who Michael called to go to Jamaica with him but we can probably guess it's Jan. There were many funny moments too involving Dwight and Andy. And for some reason I couldn't stop laughing when Stanley just stood up, deciding which party to go to when it cut to commercial. Fantastic episode after the Convict, which was alright but not as good as this week.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:47 PM   #146
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm looking forward to watching this show. I haven't seen an episode yet.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:25 PM   #147
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm impressed that the writing on the Office is still improving. I was dying when Dwight got squeezed out and had to sit by himself at the restaurant.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #148
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I loved the Oscar cameo.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:35 PM   #149
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
And for some reason I couldn't stop laughing when Stanley just stood up, deciding which party to go to when it cut to commercial.

Stanley is one of my favorite characters. Everything he says, every reaction makes me laugh.

I couldn't stop laughing when Michael tagged the waitress because they all look alike . Also, I wasn't expecting Pam and the exotic looking chick to get along so well; I was kinda expecting a catfight.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:08 PM   #150
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Stanley is one of my favorite characters. Everything he says, every reaction makes me laugh.

I couldn't stop laughing when Michael tagged the waitress because they all look alike . Also, I wasn't expecting Pam and the exotic looking chick to get along so well; I was kinda expecting a catfight.

C...c..cc.cc...catfight? Can we still have that please?
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote