FCIván KaviedesS CVery Good7-8-7-8-799%20 (5)87.20
S1Chris DayGKSuperb8-7-7-7-6100%28-6.96
S2Nathan JamesonM RLCSuperb6-7-7-7-6100%1 (9)-6.70
S3LstMarcus BignotD/DM RLSuperb7-7-8-7-7100%10 (2)-7.17
S4Andrew JohnsonS CSuperb6-7-8-9-792%26 (1)87.22
S5Danny ShittuD CSuperb7-7-8-8-789%1117.55
-IntMarc BirchamDM CSuperb6-8-7-10-798%14 (11)37.28
-WntDarren EvansD CSuperb7-8-7-8-894%18 (1)-7.53

We play Huddersfield on their pitch. They're currently 22nd and on a massive losing streak. Most, if not all their players have very poor morale.

I decide to give a rest to Chris Day and I start Jamie Young at keeper.

Also, since Mathew Sadler is able to go back to his regular left full-back spot, I'm able to start Matthew Bates at centre-back and Darren Evans will sit this one out, as was recommended by my head physio. I also sit Andrew Johnson, starting both the strong strikers Brooker and Kaviedes.

And how happy was I that I started them both! They both scored twice in a 4-0 drubbing! Kavi scored the first two goals of the game, the first following a 50 yard pass from Mathew Sadler in the 7th minute, the second on a penalty only 3 minutes later. Brooker scored just before that half (42') and a bit after, that one as he broke their offside trap and got free behind the line of defenders (67').

Danny Shittu played about 30 minutes in the second half. I love to see him clear the high balls on headers.

We outshot them 10 to 5, 6 to 2 on target, but they got all their shots in the second half, as we blanked them in the first half and pulled back afterward. Ben Watson is named Man of the Match with a rating of 9. He completed 23 of 26 passes and won 8 of 11 tackles. He also had 5 interceptions. Shittu got a 7 while every starter, other than Watson, get a 8, which is very good.

Watford drew in there game, so we gain 2 points on our lead. We now have an 8 points lead atop the league table.

I learn that Marc Bircham scored two goals in Canada'S 3-0 win over Bahamas in the North American Gold Cup. Pretty good!

Matthew Rose, Jim Paterson, and Ben Watson are all named on the League One Team of the Week. I fin it kinda funny that, as I'm trying to secure a right full-back, Matthew Rose is trying to show that he can play the position

FM

edit: I forgot to put the lineup table. It's there now...

Last edited by FrogMan : 03-03-2005 at 10:58 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #102
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

January 18, 2009
Our 220k bid for Curth is rejected. I up the ante to 300k.

This being said, all news are not bad, as James Young accepts to come on loan with us. His loan will be for 3 months and depending on how he does with us, I'll be thinking about putting in a bid to retaing him with us for good. I'll post his player profile when I think about grabbing a screenie... **note to self: get screenie of Young's player profile**

January 19, 2009
The Curth soap opera continues as they reject another bid. I now offer 360k plus striker Jamie Cureton as part exchange. Trying stuff you know...

January 20, 2009
Crewe make a bid for Darren Evans. They are offering $1.25M plus 30% of the next sale. First, I don't like these %% of next sale thingies. Second, Darren Evans is not for sale, period!

My scouts come back with their reports on Jepp Lund Curth. They are drooling and both of them tell me that he would instantly command a place in QPR's first team. I don't always listen to my scouts, but it's sort of comforting to see they are seeing the same thing I'm seeing...

As I read their report, I also get the news that our latest offer for Curth has been rejected, again. I'm done playing around the bushes and I hit for the fence. 500k is my last offer! It'll happen on this bid, or I'm moving on.

January 21, 2009
The good news comes that our Curth bid has been accepted!!! We can now talk with him about a contract. Holy moly! He's asking for $8000 per week, while he's currently only earning $1850 per week... That's a curveball... I offer him $6000 per week plus $32k up front.

FM
Old 03-03-2005, 12:23 PM   #103
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Okay, I've run some quick test over lunch and John Davies is indeed turning into quite a specimen

He is a 17yo D R that joined the team during the last offseason, and as I said, I was never all that impressed about his overall skills, until last night that is... Quickly scanning is skills, I can see that he gained 11 skill points by simply applying the patch. Methodology: I took a picture of my whole team just before saving the night before yesterday. I applied the patch before loading the game yesterday, then turned on FM2005 and loaded my game. First thing I did is take another picture of the whole team. By taking a picture, I mean saving to text the 7 important screens (general, mental, physical, technical, attacking, defensive, goalkeeping) and parsing them through excel (who would have thought, huh? ). With that, I can compare the picture of the whole team, player by player, from one picture to another.

So I compare the picture from pre-patch to post-patch (on January 10), remember that not even one day has passed after reloading the game post-patch. In his case, John Davies strikes me as a nice gainer at first, gaining 11 skill points overall, only because of the patch. They were all 1 point gain, since he's a full back, most useful gains came on crossing, marking, passing, tackling, anticipation, and positioning. All nice gains, especially since they can not be attributed to training.

Then I took another picture of the team on January 22, so 12 days after applying the patch. Now, WOW!!! Davies has now gained 38 skill points!!! He got boosts of 3 in crossing, first touch, marking, tackling, technique, anticipation, concentration, and decisions. He also got boosts of 2 in heading (up to 16 now), passing, composure, creativity, and positioning... He definitely becomes a payer to keep in good check and could eventually have some playing time with the first squad...

Me love the patch

I'll try to find a way to report my findings, possibly in here. Just gotta find a way to post the 47 columns in the table in a way that it doesn't give everyone a headache

FM
Old 03-04-2005, 10:03 AM   #104
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

January 24, 2009
I don't know if the term "silly season" has ever been used with English football (or European football, or any football at all), but I've heard it many times for Formula One racing, when they are describing the crazy part of the season, a bit past the two third of the season, when drivers start vying for a driving wheel for the following season. Well, I'd coin this month of January as being quite the "silly season" for me. I've never had much money to spend with Luton, and when I had some, I was still unexperienced and way too much willing to spend it on about anybody. This time around, a bit like last season when the QPR board gave me about 5M of play money, I have some money, yet no glaring holes to fill. It's an interesting situation, really... More on that in a bit, but for now, how about some player profiles...
First of all, here is John Davies, possibly my right full back of the future. He's the one I've been very impressed about among my U18 team members. Davies is showing some nice skills for a 17yo and even though his value shows at N/A on this profile, it has increased to 150k now. I'll probably end up playing him with the senior squad a few times before the season is over, especially if we lock the title early on.
(click on the thumbnail to see his player profile)

Next is my newest loanee (is that a word?), and current right full-back, at least until the end of the season, James Young. James has some great mental skills, especially anticipation and bravery which could serve him well at the full-back position. Valued at $1.75M, he's on loan with us for 3 months and is not costing us much wage-wise. Three months will bring us close to the end of the season, but I don't think we'll get much further with Young. He's 21 and has nice skills, not very high crossing though, and as I said, he's valued at 1.75M but isn't transfer listed. I don't think I'd pay $1.75M for him. If we could get him on a rebate, say if Blackburn thought he was not needed, then I could make a bid...
(click on the thumbnail to see his player profile)

Among other players, I thought about revisiting Kevin Joyce's player profile and was sort of disappointed to see he has not budged AT ALL! The player profile I showed in here a little earlier is just about the same as it is now. Bah, why pursue him

Then I thought about the one year I was at Kenilworth Road and made this long preview of my new crop of rookies. I remembered one or two that had impressed me back then. In my notes, I found the name Chris Chapman, a left/center midfielder. The following thumbnail will lead you to his profile on June 20, 2007, when he was only 15yo. Note the already nice dribbling skills, and the few good skills scattered about everywhere.

I found him, still on Luton Town's U18 squad, and oh my, has he grown! He's now 17 now has many skils over the midpoint (10) and his dribbling has improved even more!
(click the following thumbnail for his profile on January 24, 2009)

While drooling over his potential, I see that he's even been transfer listed by Luton, but since they still don't have a manager, and nobody knows what they're doing now that I'm not around to lead them, they're asking for $0 for him. Say what?!? $0??? You serious? I go and officially declare my interest, something I'd not done in a while. The one comment I get about that is that there could be a potential problem since Luton could be reluctant to let him go to their rivals at Loftus Road. We'll see about that as I put in a bid for $2,000, I'm a fairplay kind of guy I kind of feel weird putting in a bid for a 17yo, developmental player, as I've never done that, or if so, not very often. Without realizing it, I was staying away from the young ones, the mighty regens, because let's face it, most of them sucked... I'm seeing more good ones now, the patch is indeed working...

One last thing about Chapman. Some of you with good eyes will see that his condition is currently at 31%. He is currently injured with a hip injury, and is about a month from being 100%.

FM
Old 03-04-2005, 11:08 AM   #105
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

January 24, 2009 (later in the day)
PkdInfNamePositionMoraleFormConAppsGlsAv Rat
GKChris DayGKSuperb8-7-7-7-6100%28-6.96
DRJames YoungD RPoor-100%---
DLMathew SadlerD LSuperb9-8-7-7-899%16-7.63
DCWntDarren WardD CSuperb7-8-8-8-897%28-7.57
DCWntDanny ShittuD CSuperb7-8-8-7-797%11 (1)17.50
MRMatt CrossAM/F RCSuperb8-8-8-7-899%18 (12)67.37
MLWntJim PatersonAM LSuperb7-8-8-8-899%19 (1)38.00
MCYelNigel QuashieM CSuperb9-8-8-8-897%24 (7)27.42
MCYelBen WatsonM CSuperb6-7-7-7-999%25 (4)47.38
FCAndrew JohnsonS CSuperb6-7-8-9-799%26 (1)87.22
FCIván KaviedesS CSuperb8-7-8-7-899%21 (5)107.23
S1LstJamie YoungGKOkay8-5-6-7-8100%5-7.20
S2Nathan JamesonM RLCSuperb7-7-7-6-797%1 (10)-6.73
S3LstMarcus BignotD/DM RLSuperb7-7-8-7-7100%10 (2)-7.17
S4Steve BrookerS CSuperb7-7-7-7-899%13 (13)137.12
S5WntDarren EvansD CSuperb7-8-7-8-8100%18 (1)-7.53
-YelMatthew BatesD LCGood6-8-8-8-8100%9-7.56
-IntMarc BirchamDM CSuperb7-10-7-8-793%14 (11)37.28
-Matthew RoseSW/D/DM RCSuperb8-7-8-7-897%26 (1)-7.37

We play Doncaster at home. They are currently in 17th place but have a streak of 9 games without losing going on. They played on the 20th while we last played only on the 17th.

Marc Bircham is still away on international duty. I put Chris Day back in as the starting goalkeeper.

We're only 65 seconds into the game and Doncaster is not too sure they'll keep their unbeaten streak as Iván Kaviedes scores following a nice pass from Jim Paterson. Kavi will later leave the game, injured at the start of the second half. Steve Brooker will score the only other goal of the game in the 64th minute and we win it 2-0.

Final Score: 2-0

We outshot them 7 to 1, 6 to none on target. James Young played a good game in his debut with us as he completed 37 of 43 passes and had 8 interceptions. Was nice to see the Darren Ward/Danny Shittu duo of strong men winning headers all over our defensive zone. Ward won 10 of 10 headers while Shittu won 9 of 9.

Watford dropped their game to Colchester so we gain three point on them atop the league table. Our lead is now at 9 points.

Three players get to the locker room with some kind of nick. Iván Kaviedes left the game early, but Andrew Johnson and Jim Paterson also both finished the game with minor injuries...

My physio's report tells me that Andrew Johnson came out of the game with no injuries but Jim Paterson bruised some ribs and will miss 3 days. The worst off is Iván Kaviedes who twisted his knee and will miss 2 weeks. Our next match is in 4 days, on the 28th.

Following the game, I see that backup left winger Lee Cook, who's bee playing with the reserves for a little while now, is getting frustrated by the lack of first team play. I know this may not make him happy all of a sudden, but I'm calling him up to the senior squad for our next match. He'll start for the injured Jim Paterson.

FM
Old 03-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #106
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

January 25, 2009
Jeppe Lund Curth
agrees to a deal and signs with us!!! I feared that my offer was a bit low, compared to what he was asking for, but nope, he went for it. On paper, I like him very much, as he's got a lot of the skills you want to see in a striker. And he's only 24, so he could be with us for a long time.
Click the following thumbnail for his player profile...

In answer to my previous interrogation, he was playing for a team called Akademisk Boldklub (or AB) in Denmark but as pointed out by tk, he was playing with Dutch side Feyenoord until 2004-05, when he transferred to AB.

Luton Town counters on my offer for Chris Chapman. They want nothing up front, but $12,000 over the next 24 months ($500 per month, weeee!) and 25% of the next sale. I counter with a next sale percentage lowered to 10%...

I also offer $300k for Matthew Bates, effective at the end of this season, since he's already on loan with us for the rest of the season. They are asking for $440k for him...

I get the news that Bolton has accepted our loan bid for Lewis Guy, a 24yo striker currently valued at $4.8M. We just need to know if he'll want to come to us on loan. Hartlepool has also made a loan bid, but they're currently in the lower half of the League One table. I'd assume a player looking for a challenge would go to the team sitting at the top...

FM
Old 03-04-2005, 11:59 AM   #107
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

January 26, 2009
Barnsley offer $1.25M plus 30% of next sale for Darren Evans. Guys, listen for a moment. For now, the answer is NO!

I get the news that Jim Paterson has been named on the League One Team of the Week.

On another crazy Evans bid, Derby offer goalkeeper Mark Goodlad in a straight up player exchange for Darren Evans. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!, could you repeat that one...*listens, short silence* HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Mark Goodlad is a 29yo keeper, valued at 100k. He was part of my Luton squad when we promoted to the Championship, but I don't have him on any shortlist. That was just pure unintentional comedy there

Our bid for Chris Chapman is accepted and my first talks with my assistant manager about offering him a contract make me go "wow!". My assistant thinks he'd become a useful member of the team and recommends offering him a wage of $1100 per week. Chapman is currently earning $420 per week and is asking for $900 per week. I offer him $600 per week and lower his yearly increase from 25% to 10%.

Middlesbrough gets back to me, telling me they want $300k for Matthew Bates. Err, what? I try my luck and lower the bid to $260k...

In the funny, useless news, the New England Revolution has offered a contract to Jamie McUnnie, the D/DM R that had accepted a contract from us until we pulled out of it...

Lewis Guy accepts to come on loan with us. He will give us a solid backup option at the striker position. We will pay only 10% of his wage, even though this will still come to $1800 per week. I doubt we'd be able to afford him even if we wanted to make a bid for him, $18,000 is a lot of money...
Click the following thumbnail for his player profile.

Middlesbrough gets back to us saying they now want $260k for Bates. I remember playing this crazy game for another game and since it's a recurrence, I view it a bug in the AI and I won't exploit it. I accept the counter (which is the exact same bid I made the last time) as it is.

The bid is accepted later in the afternoon. Bates wants $4000 per week plus 6k up front. He's currently earning $2800 per week. I offer $3400 per week plus 20k up front.

Useless news part 2: Jamie McUnnie accepts a contract offer from Dundee and rejects the offer from New England. I guess he didn't want to come to America

FM
Old 03-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #108
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

January 28, 2009
GKChris DayGKSuperb7-7-7-6-7100%29-6.97
DRJames YoungD RGood797%1-7.00
DLMathew SadlerD LSuperb8-7-7-8-796%17-7.59
DCWntDarren WardD CSuperb8-8-8-8-794%29-7.55
DCWntDanny ShittuD CSuperb8-8-7-7-794%12 (1)17.46
MRMatt CrossAM/F RCSuperb8-8-7-8-795%19 (12)67.35
MLUnhLee CookAM LSuperb8-7-6-8-798%13 (1)17.50
MCYelMarc BirchamDM CSuperb10-7-8-7-794%14 (11)37.28
MCYelBen WatsonM CSuperb7-7-7-9-795%26 (4)47.37
FCJeppe Lund CurthF CVery Good-100%---
FCSteve BrookerS CSuperb7-7-7-8-797%13 (14)147.11
S1LstJamie YoungGKOkay8-5-6-7-8100%5-7.20
S2YelNigel QuashieM CSuperb8-8-8-8-793%25 (7)27.41
S3Andrew JohnsonS CSuperb7-8-9-7-793%27 (1)87.21
S4Nathan JamesonM RLCSuperb7-7-6-7-791%1 (11)-6.75
S5Darren EvansD CSuperb7-8-7-8-8100%18 (1)-7.53
-YelMatthew BatesD LCOkay6-8-8-8-8100%9-7.56
-InjIván KaviedesS CSuperb7-8-7-8-779%22 (5)117.22
-WntJim PatersonAM LSuperb8-8-8-8-886%20 (1)38.00

We play Cardiff at home. They are currently 7th and are not to be taken lightly.

I send Lewis Guy down with the reserves so he gains a bit of match fitness.

Jeppe Lund Curth is set for his debut with the Rangers.

The match starts on a rough note as James Young goes down in the 4th miute and has to be replaced by Darren Evans who will have to play slightly out of position (he's a D C).

Jeppe Lund Curth shows why I was so excited about signing him in the 28th minute, as he fakes two defenders before launching a fabulous curling strike to score his first goal as a Ranger. A beautiful goal in an impressive debut. He is rated at 10 right after his goal. Sadly, he'll go off injured in the 43rd minute. Rough start for our team. Before the half is over, we've made two of our three subs, both of them to replace injured players... We've dominated the game in the first half, outshooting them 5 to 2, 3 to 1 on target.

They tie the game in the 55th minute. In the 72nd minute, Darren Ward is called for a trip in the box, but barely in the box. CHRIS DAY BLOCKS IT!!! Ben Watson clears it into touch.

The 84th minute will see us get a penalty of our own, as Andrew Johnson gets upended in the penalty area. Steve Brooker won't miss his chance and we lead again, 2-1.

Two and a half minute into injury time, they find a tiny crack in our defensive line and get alone with Day. They tie it again, 2-2.

Final Score: 2-2

Chris Day gets named Man of the Match with a rating of 9. We outshot them 13 to 7, 6 to 5 on target.

Despite only drawing our match, Watford lost theirs, so we get another point. We're now 12 points clear of Watford.

Curth was rated at 8 before his injury and Darren Evans got a 6 for playing the right full back position, but he was at 7 for a good part of the game.

We again come out of this game with 3 injured players, but this time, it's 2 more serious ones (Curth, Young) and an apparently minor one (Bircham).

Holy Moly!!! The physio report isn't nice. James Young has a gashed leg and will mis 5 days, not bad. Then it got worse with Marc Bircham diagnosed with a calf strain. He will miss 2 weeks. And then it got even worse with Jeppe Lund Curth who suffered a back strain. First estimate is for him to miss 3 weeks but I ask my phyios for reports on him and they recommend letting a specialist check him to avoid further complications. Early estimates are that it would take 2 to 4 weeks of physiotherapy. I send him to rehabilitation and he will miss 3 weeks.

I didn't realize it in the game, but what I feared only a couple of weeks ago is materializing. Both Nigel Quashie and Ben Watson now have 5 yellows and will both be banned for one match. That, combined to Marc Bricham's injury, means that none of my big three of midfielders will be available for our next match. Incidentally, our next match is against Preston, on their pitch. They are currently in 4th place, ouch!

This is what the squad screen of my senior team looks like when I look at it...

No need to tell you I'll have a hard time fielding a midfield for that Preston match... We'll see when we'll get there...

FM
Old 03-04-2005, 01:32 PM   #109
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

January 29, 2009
As some may have seen from the squad screenie, Chris Chapman has agreed to a deal and signed with us! He joins us immediately and will be moved to the U18 squad, where he'll play when he gets better following his injury.

Matthew Bates also agrees to a deal and signs with us. The transfer will only be made official on June 3rd, since he's on loan with us until the end of the season. This will be a good test to see if is morale holds up better. His player profile now states that he's looking forward to moving team...

With the transfer deadline quickly approachin, Burnley makes a bid for left winger Jim Paterson. They offer $500k for the 29yo who's valued at 850k. That's a lowball, crazy offer if there was ever one. Jim has averaged a form rating of 8.11 in league play while scoring 3 goals and assisting on 11 other goals. He also has collected 5 Man of the Match mentions. Crazy I tell ya... Obviously, I said no...

How about a little league table, to kind of get an idea of who is where and who's coming after us... Here we go:
PosTeamPldWonDrnLstForAgG.D.Pts
1stQ.P.R.2819635713+4463
2ndWatford2815673823+1551
3rdColchester28121244429+1548
4thPreston2713953219+1348
5thCambridge28121063525+1046
6thCardiff2713683521+1445
7thDerby2813693931+845
8thBarnsley2812972923+645
9thLuton2811983029+142
10thWycombe2811892725+241
11thSwindon27124113430+440
12thBournemouth28117103237-540
13thSouthend2881282728-136
14thMK Dons28106123337-436
15thDoncaster2898113135-435
16thOldham2798103843-535
17thSwansea2897123431+334
18thHartlepool28710111826-831
19thStockport2878133435-129
20thHuddersfield2869132034-1427
21stRushden28511121932-1326
22ndHereford2668121532-1726
23rdWrexham28310151844-2619
24thChesterfield2819181249-3712

I am kinda proud of the way the team is head and shoulders above the rest, especially in both most goals scored *AND* least goals conceded, leading to an amazing goald differential of +44. Luton is not having a bad season, especially for a team that is managerless...

I get some exciting news. Andrew Johnson has been called up by England to be part of their U19 squad for a friendly. Andrew is currently uncapped internationally, and while a friendly is not a cap per se, I find it a nice touch that he's been invited. The friendly against Russia U19 is scheduled for February 2nd.

FM
Old 03-04-2005, 02:15 PM   #110
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

January 30, 2009 (@18h45)
The transfer deadline is indeed coming fast and that sometimes lead to interesting offers. Sunderline offers me $550k for Darren Ward. Darren's been having a great season so far, but he's 30yo now, and his wage is a bit high for my blood at $14,500 per week. I paid $1.6M for him a year ago. I gamble a bit and counter with a transfer price of $1M for Ward.

The transfer deadline is on January 31st. Crazy but I can't remember who is impacted by that deadline. I know teams under the premiership can still buy players domestically between September and January, but after that, I forget what the final deadline is. I think I bought players in February last season, but maybe the Premiership teams will not be allowed after January 31st...

January 31, 2009
I had been haggling with Swindon over a promising goalkeeper named Paul Davies. I never reported it in here, but it's been going on for about a week and a half. They were asking for 120k at first, but when I made a lowball first offer around 70k, they got back to me with a counter at about 160k. We danced around since that first offer, never breaking off talks. We're now January 31st at 9h45 and we have finally agreed on something (okay, I gave up ). Transfer price is $56k up front and $70k over the next 24 months.

When I start talking with Davies about a contract, the 20yo keeper tells me he's looking for something around $1100 per week, which is a pretty good bargain for a keeper who has been a starter in League One. He's currently earning $1500 per week with Swindon and he's ready to accept a paycut to come play with us. This attitude means something to me and I won't lower the offer like I often do. I offer him $1100 per week, but I add a year to the deal, going from 2012 to 2013.

He accepts within half an hour and is said to be very happy to come at Loftus Road. He becomes our backup keeper and main reserve team keeper.
Click the thumbnail below to see his player profile

I've also saved his History/Career Stats to show you how he's played over the year. I've highlighted the 2006-07 season to show you that he was the starter that season, allowing less than one goal per league match, averaging 7.30 for form over these 30 league appearances. I'm impressed about that season because it was his first full season, when he was only an 18yo grasshopper. Now at 20, he'll still need to mature a bit, but he can certainly be a strong backup to Chris Day and could possibly take over for him in a couple seasons or more...

I'll keep Jamie Young on the reserve squad too, mostly since he's on loan with us until the end of the season and we don't pay a dime of his salary...

It's now 15h00 on January 31st and Sunderland is not getting back to me on Darren Ward. I guess they'll take a pass...

FM
Old 03-07-2005, 08:48 AM   #111
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

January 31, 2009
GKChris DayGKSuperb7-7-6-7-9100%30-7.03
DRMatthew RoseSW/D/DM RCSuperb8-7-8-7-8100%26 (1)-7.37
DLYelMatthew BatesD LCPoor6-8-8-8-8100%9-7.56
DCBidDarren WardD CVery Good8-8-8-7-791%30-7.53
DCDanny ShittuD CGood8-7-7-7-793%13 (1)17.43
MRMatt CrossAM/F RCVery Good8-7-8-7-792%20 (12)67.34
MLWntJim PatersonAM LSuperb8-8-8-8-893%20 (1)38.00
MCLee MansellAM CSuperb8-9-7-8-7100%3 (5)27.00
MCNathan JamesonM RLCSuperb7-7-6-7-795%1 (11)-6.75
FCLstLewis GuyS CVery Poor-100%---
FCSteve BrookerS CVery Good7-7-8-7-792%14 (14)157.11
S1Paul DaviesGKGood-100%---
S2LoaScott DonnellyAM RCSuperb7-7-8-7-8100%23 (3)37.35
S3Andrew JohnsonS CVery Good8-9-7-7-791%27 (2)87.21
S4UnhLee CookAM LVery Good7-6-8-7-792%14 (1)17.47
S5WntDarren EvansD COkay8-7-8-8-691%18 (2)-7.45
-InjMarc BirchamDM CVery Good7-8-7-7-771%15 (11)37.27
-InjJeppe Lund CurthF CSuperb864%118.00
-InjIván KaviedesS CSuperb7-8-7-8-775%22 (5)117.22
-SusNigel QuashieM CVery Good8-8-8-7-796%25 (8)27.39
-Mathew SadlerD LVery Good7-7-8-7-793%18-7.56
-SusBen WatsonM CVery Good7-7-9-7-793%27 (4)47.35
-InjJames YoungD RVery Poor7-582%2-6.00

We play Preston on their pitch. They are currently 4th. This is going to be a tough one as we go into this game with four injured players (Bircham, Curth, Kaviedes, Young) and two suspended ones (Quashie, Watson). In effect, we'll play this game VERY defensively, with Lee Mansell and Nathan Jameson manning the inner midfield and Lewis Guy starting at striker, despite not getting any time to play with the reserves.

Preston also has two suspended and two injured players, so we got this evening things out. Their last game was on

The first half is indeed very defensive, by both teams. We're controlling the ball in the middle of the field with 24% to their 19% but it's pretty even everywhere else. We outshot them 3 to 2, 1 to none on target. The kind of boring football you want when you feel outmatched...

The second half is more of the same and the game ends 0-0.

Final Score: 0-0

I usually hate 0-0 draws, but I okay with this one. We outshot them 6 to 3, 1 all on target.

Jim Paterson is named Man of the Match with a rating of 8. He completed 38 of 43 passes and had 7 runs past opponents. Danny Shittu also had an 8 while winning 8 of 8 headers. Darren Ward won 12 of 13 headers.

Watford dropped another one and they get passed by Colchester on goal differential. We're now 13 points clear atop the league table.

The transfer deadline has passed. Darren Ward is still showing the "Bid" tag next to his name. Checking on it, I see that Sunderland is in the Championship. I'll wait to hear from them...

FM
Old 03-07-2005, 08:50 AM   #112
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

February 1st, 2009
The board is still delighted about my performance as manager. We've not moved from the 1st time in a long while and we've even increased our lead. Things are looking good for now.

Marc Bircham finishes second for the League One Player of the Month award. He had ratings of 10-7-7 in 3 league appearances, while scoring a goal.

I come in second for Manager of the Month. The manager of Colchester comes in 1st and it's understandable as they just passed Watford in 2nd place of the League.

Jeppe Lund Curth's sole goal comes in second for goal of the month.

Sunderland withdraw their bid for Darren Ward. I may offer him up again in the future...

Chris Day and Jeppe Lund Curth are both name on the League One Team of the Week. I guess the pundits were really impressed by that one goal from Curth

Andrew Johnson was a unused sub for England U19 in their most recent friendly. That's kind of sad and a bit stupid as they did not use even one sub, in a friendly of all things!

FM
Old 03-07-2005, 09:14 AM   #113
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

February 7, 2009
GKPaul DaviesGKGood8-6100%---
DRJames YoungD RVery Poor7-597%2-6.00
DLWntMathew SadlerD LVery Good7-7-8-7-7100%18-7.56
DCDarren WardD CVery Good8-8-7-7-796%31-7.52
DCWntDarren EvansD COkay8-7-8-8-699%18 (2)-7.45
MRMatt CrossAM/F RCVery Good7-8-7-7-798%21 (12)67.33
MLWntJim PatersonAM LSuperb8-8-8-8-899%21 (1)38.00
MCBen WatsonM CVery Good7-7-9-7-7100%27 (4)47.35
MCNigel QuashieM CVery Good8-8-8-7-7100%25 (8)27.39
FCAndrew JohnsonS CGood9-7-7-7-796%27 (3)87.20
FCSteve BrookerS CVery Good7-8-7-7-799%15 (14)157.10
S1Chris DayGKSuperb7-6-7-9-790%31-7.03
S2Nathan JamesonM RLCVery Good7-6-7-7-795%2 (11)-6.77
S3Iván KaviedesS CSuperb7-8-7-8-786%22 (5)117.22
S4WntLee CookAM LVery Good7-6-8-7-7100%14 (1)17.47
S5YelMatthew BatesD LCVery Poor8-8-8-8-7100%10-7.50
-WntDanny ShittuD CVery Good7-7-7-7-887%14 (1)17.47
-InjJeppe Lund CurthF CSuperb855%118.00
-InjMarc BirchamDM CVery Good7-8-7-7-763%15 (11)37.27
-LstLewis GuyS CVery Poor7-8-882%1-7.00

We go play Derby on their pitch. They're currently 7th.

It's a rough stretch we're into with no easy games, after playing Preston three days ago, we get this one today...

Chris Day injured himself in training earlier in the week and while he's healed off his injury, he is not 100%. Paul Davies will get his first start as a Ranger.

Danny Shittu is in the same situation as Day and will sit this one out. Darren Evans takes his place.

The ball moves quite a lot to start the game, but neither team gets many scoring chances as the half ends scoreless. Both teams had 2 shots, Preston the only team to put one on target.

They score on a header to start the second half and we reply with a Steve Brooker goal a few minutes later. He had to wrestle a Preston defender to come out with the ball and score. We hold on for the draw.

Final Score: 1-1

Ben Watson is named Man of the Match with a rating of 9. He won 10 of 12 tackles, had 7 interceptions and completed 32 of his 36 passes.

Paul Davies received a 8 for his debut. Not bad.

Colchester also drew, and Watford lost again, so we keep our 13 points lead. Here's what the league table look like after 30 games:
1stQ.P.R.3019835814+4465
2ndColchester30131344830+1852
3rdPreston29141053419+1552
4thWatford3015693825+1351
5thBarnsley3014973324+951
6thCardiff2914693824+1448
7thCambridge30121263727+1048
8thWycombe3013893125+647
9thDerby30137104134+746
10thSwindon30134133835+343
11thLuton30111093232043
12thBournemouth30127113339-643
13thSouthend3091382929040
14thOldham29109104145-439
15thDoncaster3099123339-636
16thMK Dons30106143340-736
17thSwansea3098133534+135
18thHartlepool30811112127-635
19thHereford29710121935-1631
20thStockport3079143438-430
21stRushden30612122032-1230
22ndHuddersfield30611132135-1429
23rdWrexham30312152046-2621
24thChesterfield30110191352-3913

Among other news, Crystal Palace offers 900k for Jim Paterson. It's his current value, but the 29yo is still too important to let him go at that price. It's a no...

Looking at his profile, I see he is much in demand with CP, Brighton, Stoke, Tranmere, and Hull all scouting him at the moment. He's having the season of his life, currently scoring the top form avergae of all League One players with an average of 8.05 in league play. The closest player is Chris Clark from Cambridge, with only 7.66!

It's been a long time since I've praised a player and I decide it's time to prais good ole Jim. The fans applaud the praise, saying Paterson has been setting the world afire at Loftus Road.

Ben Watson is named on the League One Team of the Week.

FM
Old 03-07-2005, 09:34 AM   #114
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

February 10, 2009
GKPaul DaviesGKVery Good8-6-8100%1-8.00
DRJames YoungD RVery Poor7-5-793%3-6.33
DLYelMatthew BatesD LCVery Poor8-8-8-7-7100%10 (1)-7.45
DCWntDarren WardD CSuperb8-7-7-7-791%32-7.50
DCWntDanny ShittuD CVery Good7-7-7-7-894%14 (1)17.47
MRNathan JamesonM RLCSuperb7-6-7-7-798%2 (11)-6.77
MLWntJim PatersonAM LSuperb8-8-8-8-793%22 (1)37.96
MCBen WatsonM CSuperb7-9-7-7-992%28 (4)47.41
MCNigel QuashieM CGood8-8-7-7-892%26 (8)27.41
FCLstLewis GuyS CVery Poor7-8-894%1-7.00
FCSteve BrookerS CVery Good8-7-7-7-793%16 (14)167.10
S1Chris DayGKSuperb7-6-7-9-795%31-7.03
S2Matt CrossAM/F RCGood8-7-7-7-891%22 (12)67.35
S3Iván KaviedesS CSuperb8-7-8-7-793%22 (6)117.21
S4WntLee CookAM LVery Good6-8-7-7-7100%14 (2)17.44
S5WntDarren EvansD CPoor7-8-8-6-791%19 (2)-7.43
-InjMarc BirchamDM CVery Good7-8-7-7-763%15 (11)37.27
-InjJeppe Lund CurthF CSuperb851%118.00
-Andrew JohnsonS CGood7-7-7-7-790%28 (3)87.19
-WntMathew SadlerD LOkay7-8-7-7-794%19-7.53

For our third game in a row, we're on the road, this time playing Oldham on their pitch. They are currently 14th.

Paul Davies starts again at keeper. I give Nathan Jameson a rare start at right winger. I want to see what he's capable of, with all these teams interested in Jim Paterson. Jameson is supposedly capable of playing all three midfielder position (RLC).

Looking at past matchups, I'm reminded that we won 7-2 last time against Oldham. I'm sure they won't be this easy this time again.

Jeppe Lund Curth is one week away from coming back after attending physiotherapy.

We dominate things early on and Steve Brooker is the first benificary as he scores on his own rebound. They score just before the end of the half on only their second shot (first on target). At that point, we had 14 shots, 4 on target. 1-1 is the half time score.

Steve Brooker is at the end of a nice counter attack that started deep on our end by a pas from Nigel Quashie to Lewis Guy. Guy connected with Brooker and that was it. That's the winning goal.

Final Score: 2-1

We outshot them 20 to 3, 6 to 1 on target. With a little luck this could have been another blow out.

Steve Brooker is named Man of the Match with his 2 goals and a rating of 9. He also completed all of his 34 passes and put 4 of his 5 shots on target.

Four players had ratings of 8. Among them, James Young had 11 interceptions, Matthew Bates won 12 of 12 headers and Danny Shittu won 9 of 9 headers. The last 8 went to Nathan Jameson. I really liked what I saw from him on the wing.

Colchester also won, so we stay 13 clear atop the table. From now until the end of the season, I'll try to show the table for the top 10 teams, sort of to keep track of who is fighting for a playoffs spot, and see where the Rangers are in terms of clinching promotion first, and a league title second. Here it is:
1stQ.P.R.3120836015+4568
2ndColchester31141345132+1955
3rdBarnsley3115973424+1054
4thPreston30141153520+1553
5thWatford3015693825+1351
6thCardiff2914693824+1448
7thCambridge31121273728+948
8thWycombe31138103126+547
9thDerby31137114337+646
10thSwindon31144134137+446

I've greyed out league positions based on what they mean. 1st and 2nd get automatic promotion to the Championship, positions 3 to 6 will battle it out for the last promotion spot...

My scouts report about a Leyton Orient starlet right full-back. Craig Crane is an 18yo DR that has some very nice skills. In League Two with Leyton Orient, he's already valued at 1.6M... Right now, I have about 1M in transfer bidget, but I need to keep 300k clear for the transfer of Matthew Bates that will happen on June 3rd. I make a fishing trip kind of bid at 700k plus 180k after 20 league appearances...

FM
Old 03-07-2005, 09:42 AM   #115
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

February 12, 2009
Brighton are the latest to put in a bid for Jim Paterson. 900k again, still no...

Tranmere are a bit more non-committal. They enquire about Paterson and are asking how much I would want for him. Hrm, that's a tricky question... How about *puts pinky finger to corner of mouth*
ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!

Seriously, I think that 2 millions would be reasonable. I also don't think that Tranmere will go for it... I say that, 2 millions...

February 13, 2009
Lee Cook
dislocates his jaw in training, he will miss 3 weeks, dang!

The bid for Craig Crane is rejected, as I expected it to be. I'll keep him on my shortlist for now...

FM
Old 03-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #116
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

February 14, 2009
GKChris DayGKSuperb7-6-7-9-7100%31-7.03
DRJames YoungD RSuperb7-5-7-895%4-6.75
DLYelMatthew BatesD LCSuperb8-8-7-7-897%11 (1)-7.50
DCWntDarren WardD CSuperb7-7-7-7-798%33-7.48
DCWntDanny ShittuD CSuperb7-7-7-8-8100%15 (1)17.50
MRMatt CrossAM/F RCSuperb7-7-7-8-794%22 (13)67.34
MLBidJim PatersonAM LSuperb8-8-8-7-796%23 (1)37.92
MCBen WatsonM CSuperb9-7-7-9-697%29 (4)47.36
MCNigel QuashieM CSuperb8-7-7-8-792%27 (8)27.40
FCAndrew JohnsonS CGood7-7-7-7-795%28 (3)87.19
FCIván KaviedesS CSuperb8-7-8-7-798%22 (6)117.21
S1Paul DaviesGKSuperb8-6-8-6-8100%3-7.33
S2Nathan JamesonM RLCSuperb6-7-7-7-890%3 (11)-6.86
S3Steve BrookerS CSuperb7-7-7-7-994%17 (14)187.16
S4Lee MansellAM CSuperb7-7-9-7-791%12 (6)17.44
S5WntMathew SadlerD LOkay7-8-7-7-7100%19-7.53
-InjLee CookAM LSuperb8-7-7-7-769%14 (3)17.41
-InjJeppe Lund CurthF CSuperb846%118.00
-YelMarc BirchamDM CVery Good7-8-7-7-786%15 (11)37.27
-LstLewis GuyS COkay7-8-8-795%2-7.00
-WntDarren EvansD CSuperb8-8-6-7-793%19 (3)-7.41

We finally have a game at home, and we play host to Swansea. Despite their disappointing 16th place at the moment, they're not to take too lightly. They were one of early favourites to gain promotion at the start of the season.

We're pressuring them hard in the first half, but we can't crack the wall that is their keeper. We're outshooting them 12 to none, 5 to none on target. We also have 60% of possession...

The second half is much of the same. Lee Mansell hit the post in the 84th minute, but we still can't buy a goal. Darn I hate 0-0 ties, but I hate wonder goalies even more!

We outshot them 20 to 1 on the game, 8 to none on target.

As you'd expect, their keeper is named Man of the Match. GRRR!

we end the game with 61% possession overall.

Colchester also draw so we stay 13 clear atop the league table. Watford lost again. They've now lost 5 in a row, have not won in their last 7, talk about taking a nosedive... I'm giving positions 1 to 12 of the table this time, as there's a 7 point drop off after 12th place and everybody above that line is only 2 points from 6th place...
1stQ.P.R.3220936015+4569
2ndColchester32141445233+1956
3rdPreston31151153620+1656
4thBarnsley3215983526+954
5thWatford31156103928+1151
6thCambridge32121373728+949
7thSwindon32154134537+849
8thLuton32131093532+349
9thCardiff2914693824+1448
10thDerby32138114438+647
11thWycombe31138103126+547
12thBournemouth32138113540-547

Wow, Cardiff has only played 29 games compared to 31 or 32 for most everybody else... Three wins in these games on hand could put them at 57 and in 2nd place...

According to my head physio, Darren Ward is in need of a rest. This is a bit of a bummer, since most of the time, my defenders are not the ones seeing the most action. Darren Evans will fill in...
As expected, Tranmer won't follow suit on their enquiry about Jim Paterson. But...

HOLY SMOKES!!!

The Hull manager is going crazy! He makes three bids on Ranger players!

#1: For Danny Shittu:
He is offering $1.2M for the strong centre-back. At first I find the offer very low, as Big Dan is valued at $2.6M, but that's before I see that they are offering a player in addition to the transfer fee. Player in question is Stuart Green, a 27yo AM RC. All in all, he has good skills and would probably do well for us, but it's also a question of need. Bringing Green on the team would mean him and Matt Cross splitting time and I don't want to see that happening, and that would definitely weaken our central defense. REJECTED!

#2: For Jim Paterson:
Woah, he's hitting for the fence and bidding the requested $2M that Tranmere didn't go for. Paterson is having the season of his life, but has slowed down a bit lately. Not a bid deal, but he's been having more games at 7 than at 8 lately, or so it seems. He's 29yo, and currently earning $9600 per week.

I never expected a team to go for the $2M and I'm a bit suprised by this. I've already stated that I liked what I saw from Nathan Jameson on the wing so maybe I could use him on the left wing for a while. Lee Cook being currently injured puts us a bit thin at left wing though.

I'm tempted to say yes, or up the ante a little. They have set a deadline of February 23rd, so I'll think about a little before giving an answer on that one.

#3: For Lee Cook:
Lee is a 26yo AM L valued at $130k and Hull offers just that, $130k. He is Paterson's backup and was pretty solid on the left wing when Paterson was injured earlier in the season. I'm not too sure I'd want him as my starter on the long term though. This decision is tied to the decision I'll make for Paterson, so I'll wait on him too. They gave me the same deadline.

FM
Old 03-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #117
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I laughed really hard when I saw your "one million dollars" thing.
Then I laughed again when seeing that you DID get a 2 million bid for Paterson.

All in all, a surprising number of ties in this stretch of the season, based on your domination from earlier. Do you think Paterson or Cook will be required for your promotion to the Championship?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #118
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

February 17, 2009
I offer Darren Ward to Sunderland again, as I see that they've started scouting him again. I'm now asking for 900k for him.

February 18, 2009
GKPaul DaviesGKSuperb8-6-8-6-8100%3-7.33
DRJames YoungD RGood7-5-7-8-796%5-6.80
DLWntMathew SadlerD LGood7-8-7-7-7100%19-7.53
DCWntDarren EvansD CSuperb8-8-6-7-798%19 (3)-7.41
DCDanny ShittuD CVery Good7-7-8-8-7100%16 (1)17.47
MRNathan JamesonM RLCVery Good7-7-7-8-796%3 (12)-6.87
MLBidJim PatersonAM LVery Good8-8-7-7-794%24 (1)37.88
MCBen WatsonM CVery Good7-7-9-6-794%30 (4)47.35
MCYelMarc BirchamDM CVery Good7-8-7-7-794%15 (11)37.27
FCLstLewis GuyS COkay7-8-8-7100%2-7.00
FCIván KaviedesS CVery Good7-8-7-7-794%23 (6)117.21
S1Chris DayGKGood6-7-9-7-7100%32-7.03
S2Matt CrossAM/F RCVery Good7-7-8-7-793%23 (13)67.33
S3Andrew JohnsonS COkay7-7-7-7-790%29 (3)87.19
S4Nigel QuashieM COkay7-7-8-7-695%28 (8)27.36
S5YelMatthew BatesD LCGood8-7-7-8-796%12 (1)-7.46
-InjSteve BrookerS CVery Good7-7-7-9-782%17 (15)187.16
-InjLee CookAM LSuperb8-7-7-7-764%14 (3)17.41
-InjJeppe Lund CurthF CSuperb852%118.00
-WntDarren WardD CVery Good7-7-7-7-793%34-7.47

We play Swindon at home. Currently in 7th place, they're another team that was an early favorite to earn promotion, so nothing easy here.

Paul Davies goes back in at keeper and Nathan Jameson is again playing for Matt Cross on the right wing.

The first half ends scoreless. We're dominating, although the shots are not coming. We controlled the ball 61% of the first half and had 6 shots to their 3 (2 to 1 on target).

The ball control finally pays off late in the game when Lewis Guy connects with Jim Paterson who scores.

Final score: 1-0

We end the game with an overall possession number at 59% and we unleashed the shots in the second half. 12 shots in the second half for a total of 18, 8 of them on target.

Their keeper, who else, is named man of the match. We had 4 players with ratings of 8. James Young got only a 7, but had 16 interceptions.

Colchester won too, so we're still 13 clear atop the league table.
1stQ.P.R.3321936115+4672
2ndColchester33151445434+2059
3rdPreston32151253721+1657
4thBarnsley3315993628+854
5thLuton33141093832+652
6thCardiff3015694124+1751
7thWatford32156113930+951
8thSwindon33154144538+749
9thCambridge33121383731+649
10thDerby33139114640+648
11thWycombe32138113127+447
12thBournemouth33138123643-747

Crewe offers 1.25M + 30% of next sale for Darren Evans, it's still no...

Sunderland bites on the Ward offer, but they only offer 800k for him. I counter with an extra $100k that would kick in atfer 20 league appearances, making it a 900k offer...

Jeppe Lund Curth resumes full training after attending physiotherapy. The specialist that treated him is optimistic that he has recovered fully from his injury.

We send reserve centre-back Ben Randall to Oldham for $16k. He was on a month-to-month contract and besides great physical skills and a 17 in heading, I wasn't seeing anything worth keeping in that kid, no positioning, no tackling, no marking... gone...

FM
Old 03-07-2005, 11:59 AM   #119
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
I laughed really hard when I saw your "one million dollars" thing.
Then I laughed again when seeing that you DID get a 2 million bid for Paterson.

All in all, a surprising number of ties in this stretch of the season, based on your domination from earlier. Do you think Paterson or Cook will be required for your promotion to the Championship?

/tk

not wanting to spoil anything that's not been reported so far, I'd say that seeing how successfull Cook was during Paterson's absence, I'm thinking they are more products of the system than wonder players on their own. The short passing tends to lean itself to building a good game from the outside and with good crossing skills, the wingers can often pass to one another. I've seen many Paterson to Rowlands pass before I transferred out Rowlands, then some more Cross to Paterson passes or the other way around. Even Jameson is doing it with Paterson when playing for Cross.

With all that said, I'm beginning to think that with 2M, I could possibly be able to find another good left winger, younger and possibly cheaper in wage...

Keep reading is all I can say for now

FM
Old 03-07-2005, 12:10 PM   #120
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
All in all, a surprising number of ties in this stretch of the season, based on your domination from earlier.

Wanted to say something on this but forgot earlier. Don't forget that we're having more games per week these days. My feeling sometimes was that we were playing some games on hand which wasn't happening before the Holiday period. This may be one reason why we're drawing more than winning right now. At least we're not losing...

FM
Old 03-07-2005, 12:18 PM   #121
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

February 21, 2009
GKPaul DaviesGKSuperb6-8-6-8-8100%3-7.33
DRJames YoungD RSuperb5-7-8-7-794%6-6.83
DLWntMathew SadlerD LSuperb8-7-7-7-893%20-7.55
DCDarren EvansD CSuperb8-6-7-7-792%20 (3)-7.39
DCDanny ShittuD CSuperb7-8-8-7-799%17 (1)17.44
MRMatt CrossAM/F RCVery Good7-8-7-7-796%23 (14)67.32
MLBidJim PatersonAM LSuperb8-7-7-7-892%25 (1)37.88
MCNigel QuashieM CSuperb7-8-7-6-796%28 (9)27.35
MCYelMarc BirchamDM CSuperb8-7-7-7-891%16 (11)37.30
FCLstLewis GuyS CGood7-8-8-7-791%317.00
FCIván KaviedesS CSuperb8-7-7-7-792%24 (6)117.20
S1Chris DayGKGood6-7-9-7-7100%32-7.03
S2Nathan JamesonM RLCSuperb7-7-8-7-794%4 (12)-6.88
S3Andrew JohnsonS CSuperb7-7-7-7-792%29 (4)87.18
S4PRBen WatsonM CVery Good7-9-6-7-793%31 (4)47.34
S5YelMatthew BatesD LCOkay8-7-7-8-7100%12 (1)-7.46
-InjLee CookAM LSuperb8-7-7-7-760%14 (3)17.41
-UnfJeppe Lund CurthF CSuperb869%118.00
-BidDarren WardD CVery Good7-7-7-7-796%34-7.47
-InjSteve BrookerS CVery Good7-7-7-9-778%17 (15)187.16

We play Hartlepool on their pitch. They are currently in 20th place.

Thay play that funky looking 4-1-2-1-2 with the 1-2-1 in the shape of a diamond. It's a very narrow formation.

The first half ends scoreless. We're blasting the ball everywhere and end the half with 13 shots to their 4, 3 to 2 on target.

It will take us until the very last minute of the game, at 89:37 exactly, to break the 0-0 tie. Andrew Johnson found himself on the penalty spot, on the receiving end of a great center from Nathan Jameson. He won't miss his chance. As they went to a 2-3-5 formation, Matt Cross got behind their two defenders, converting a long goal kick into a 2-0 lead.

We outshoot them 23 to 8, 9 to 3 on target.

Jim Paterson gets the Man of the Match nomination with a rating of 9 in possibly his last match as a Ranger (note to tk: this was written just like that in my notes, believe it or not ). He completed 42 of 44 passes and had 7 runs past opponents.

Colchester also won, so we're still 13 clear atop the league table.
1stQ.P.R.3422936315+4875
2ndColchester34161445735+2262
3rdPreston33151263722+1557
4thBarnsley3416993728+957
5thCardiff3116694524+2154
6thCambridge34131383831+752
7thLuton341410103935+452
8thDerby34149114940+951
9thWatford33156123934+551
10thSwindon34155144740+750
11thWycombe33148113428+650
12thBournemouth34148123843-550

Following the win, I get this very nice message from Q.P.R.'s chairman Bill Power:
Quote:
Q.P.R. board pleased with win over Pool
Following Queens Park Rangers' 2-0 win over Hartlepool United, Q.P.R.'s chairman Bill Power declared himself extremely pleased with the result.

Winning the league title is getting closer and closer to becoming a reality for The Rs.

They have looked unbeatable recently and must be confident that they will still be on top of the league when the season draws to a close.
That's a sweet message, me likey

FM
Old 03-07-2005, 12:33 PM   #122
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
Wanted to say something on this but forgot earlier. Don't forget that we're having more games per week these days. My feeling sometimes was that we were playing some games on hand which wasn't happening before the Holiday period. This may be one reason why we're drawing more than winning right now. At least we're not losing...

FM

I think weather also factors in. I tend to play a lot of wet or gale matches after the holidays. A sloppy game favors the weaker team so...

Sell, sell, sell that guy. Although I know you probably already have or have not sold him, unless you think he's going to be stellar in the Championship, I'd ship him out.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #123
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I think weather also factors in. I tend to play a lot of wet or gale matches after the holidays. A sloppy game favors the weaker team so...

That makes a lot of sense too. Yeah, weather probably leads to sloppier games in January-February-March. Good thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo

Sell, sell, sell that guy. Although I know you probably already have or have not sold him, unless you think he's going to be stellar in the Championship, I'd ship him out.

Sir, I will not comment on these allegations without the presence of my lawyer

To be continued...

FM
Old 03-07-2005, 12:44 PM   #124
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

February 22, 2009
With the deadline looming on the Jim Paterson bid from Hull, I ponder what to do... I really liked what I saw from Nathan Jameson, and he's young too, at only 23. With Lee Cook coming back from his injury, I take it, I hit the ACCEPT button

In the meantime, Sunderland has withdrawn their bid for Darren Ward. Oh well, they'll be back... Incidentally, Ward suffered a thigh strain today. He will miss 5 days.

February 26, 2009
Jim Paterson
agrees on a deal with Hull and he joins them. With close to $3M in transfer budget, I'll start shopping for possibly a left winger. For now, Nathan Jameson steps in the starting spot.

With that new influx of transfer money, I go back to Leyton Orient and put in another bid for that 19yo full-back, Craig Crane. Still valued at $1.6M, I offer them $1.25M for him, we'll see.

FM
Old 03-07-2005, 01:38 PM   #125
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

February 28, 2009
GKPaul DaviesGKSuperb8-6-8-8-8100%4-7.50
DRJames YoungD RSuperb7-8-7-7-799%7-6.86
DLWntMathew SadlerD LSuperb7-7-7-8-799%21-7.52
DCYelMatthew BatesD LCPoor8-7-7-8-7100%12 (1)-7.46
DCWntDanny ShittuD CSuperb8-8-7-7-8100%18 (1)17.47
MRMatt CrossAM/F RCSuperb8-7-7-7-896%24 (14)77.34
MLNathan JamesonM RLCSuperb7-8-7-7-8100%4 (13)-6.94
MCBen WatsonM CSuperb9-6-7-7-7100%31 (5)47.33
MCNigel QuashieM CSuperb8-7-6-7-798%29 (9)27.34
FCJeppe Lund CurthF CSuperb893%118.00
FCIván KaviedesS CSuperb7-7-7-7-699%25 (6)117.16
S1Chris DayGKVery Good6-7-9-7-7100%32-7.03
S2Darren EvansD CSuperb6-7-7-7-794%21 (3)-7.38
S3Andrew JohnsonS CSuperb7-7-7-7-895%29 (5)97.21
S4YelMarc BirchamDM CSuperb7-7-7-8-797%17 (11)37.29
S5LstLewis GuyS COkay8-8-7-7-6100%416.75
-WntSteve BrookerS CVery Good7-7-7-9-782%17 (15)187.16
-InjLee CookAM LSuperb8-7-7-7-751%14 (3)17.41
-Darren WardD CVery Good7-7-7-7-789%34-7.47

We play Cambridge at home. They are currently in 6th, hovering the fine line between being in or out of the playoffs. They are not expected to bail out of this one.

Jeppe Lund Curth is back in the starting lineup, despite severely lacking in match fitness. I'll try him for the first 45 minutes and we'll take it from there. Because of that, I will carry two strikers on the bench for this game. Paul Davies is back in the lineup as the starting keeper.

Cambridge plays a funky 4-5-1 formation with the five middies on a straight line and forward arrows on both wingers and a back arrow on the most central middie.

The first half again goes scoreless. Despite us controlling the ball 62% of the time, exchanging passes on the perimeter, we can't get close enough to get some shots on goal. We outshot them 4 to 1, 2 to 1 on target.

Curth is subbed out in the 65th minute, with a rating of 7 at the time. Not bad getting his feet wet again...

We can't buy a goal in the second half, despite increasing our possession number to 66% in the second, for an overall of 64% in the game. We outshot them 12 to 1, 5 to 1 on target, meaning we shut them out in the second half.

As it would be expected, their keeper gets named Man of the Match...

Iván Kaviedes is in some kind of a slump, getting his second 6 in two games.

Colchester won and this cuts our lead to 11 points after 35 games. I forgot to save the league table after this match...

The current streak we're in, 14 games unbeaten, is a new record for Q.P.R. Looking at the team records, it strikes me as funny that I was also the manager during the longest streak of matches without a win, also 14, from February 12 to April 26, 2008.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 03-07-2005 at 01:39 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #126
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

March 1st, 2009
The Q.P.R. Team Board are still delighted with my work, they have to be, we're winning or at worst drawing and I brought in good money from transferring out some players. Good thing, they're making 100% of that available to me as transfer bidget...

I come in third for Manager of the Month.

For the first time in a while, none of my players show up in the monthly awards...

Sunderland is scouting Darren Ward again. Time for another round of offering him around This time, asking for 900k for him.

Paul Davies twists his ankle in training and will miss 2 weeks. Dang! He was playing quite lately...

March 2, 2009
Sunderland offers $850k for Darren Ward. I can live with that. I accept the offer.

FM
Old 03-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #127
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

March 3, 2009
GKChris DayGKVery Good6-7-9-7-7100%32-7.03
DRJames YoungD RVery Good8-7-7-7-795%8-6.88
DLYelMatthew BatesD LCVery Poor7-7-8-7-798%13 (1)-7.43
DCDarren EvansD CSuperb6-7-7-7-798%21 (3)-7.38
DCWntDanny ShittuD CVery Good8-7-7-8-7100%19 (1)17.45
MRMatt CrossAM/F RCVery Good7-7-7-8-791%25 (14)77.33
MLNathan JamesonM RLCVery Good8-7-7-8-792%5 (13)-6.94
MCBen WatsonM CVery Good6-7-7-7-794%32 (5)47.32
MCYelMarc BirchamDM CSuperb7-7-8-7-794%17 (12)37.28
FCJeppe Lund CurthF CSuperb8-791%217.50
FCWntSteve BrookerS CSuperb7-7-7-9-792%17 (15)187.16
S1WntJamie YoungGKVery Poor5-6-7-8-7100%5-7.20
S2WntMathew SadlerD LVery Good7-7-8-7-793%22-7.50
S3Andrew JohnsonS CVery Good7-7-7-8-795%29 (6)97.20
S4Nigel QuashieM CVery Good7-6-7-7-792%30 (9)27.33
S5LstLewis GuyS CPoor8-7-7-6-7100%4 (1)16.80
-InjLee CookAM LSuperb8-7-7-7-755%14 (3)17.41
-BidDarren WardD CVery Good7-7-7-7-792%34-7.47
-Iván KaviedesS CGood7-7-7-6-692%26 (6)117.13
-InjPaul DaviesGKVery Good6-8-8-8-781%5-7.40

We play Southend on their pitch, They are currently in 15th place.

With the injury to Paul Davies, I go back to Chris Day as the starting keeper. Jamie Young is back in as the backup. That's not a bad trio to work with, I gotta say that...

Matt Cross scores the only goal of the first half, on a play that went from Nathan Jameson to Steve Brooker to Cross...

1-0 at that half. Opposite to what was happening lately, we're not controlling the ball as much, but we're getting the chances. We're outshooting them 9 to 1 at the half, 6 to 1 on target.

Curth is the architect behind Nathan Jameson's first goal of the season in the 59th minute, and we'll add another one in the 87th minute when Andrew Johnson scores a lucky goal, his 10th of the season.

Final score: 3-0

We outshot them 15 to 1, 11 to one on target. Almost surprising that we scored only 3 goals... It felt very good to see some scoring happen again

Danny Shittu gets his first Man of the Match nomination of the season. He won all his 13 headers and completed 25 of his 32 passes.

Curth also played well, getting an 8 for his effort.

Colchester finally lose one and we take 3 points on them. We're now back to 14 clear atop the league table, and 18 points on 3rd place and clinching promotion...
1stQ.P.R.36231036615+5179
2ndColchester36171455937+2265
3rdPreston35161363923+1661
4thCardiff3318694924+2560
5thBarnsley36169113832+657
6thDerby361510115440+1455
7thSwindon36166145141+1054
8thCambridge36131583831+754
9thLuton361412104036+454
10thBournemouth36158134145-453
11thWatford34157123934+552
12thWycombe361410123430+452

Still interesting to note that if Cardiff win their three games on hand, they'd be ahead of Colchester and only 10 points behind us... Same goes with Watford and behind in or out of the playoffs...

FM
Old 03-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #128
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

March 5, 2009
Darren Ward
has agreed to terms with Sunderland. He claims that Sunderland was too good to turn down. Good for you my friend. We'll kick your butt next season Oh, yeah, the fans understand his decision and will give him a round of applause next time he's at Loftus Road

This move brings our wages to 148k per week, still a tad over the 140k wage budget, but much better than the 173k we used to be at for most of the season...

March 6, 2009
Wycombe boss, Nigel "big mouth" Clough goes at it again. Look what he spit in the media this time:

Quote:
Clough knocks Gougeon's Q.P.R.
Wycombe boss Nigel Clough has told Steve Gougeon that he doesn't want Q.P.R. to gain promotion to the Championship this season.

Clough told the Rs manager that he hoped to put a dent in their promotion chances by beating them at Loftus Road on Saturday.
Is this guys full of it or what? Nobody knocks my Q.P.R, NOBODY!!!

Three of my team leaders (Shittu, Quashie, Bircham) simply want to prove him wrong and help the team get promoted, while a youn lad, Ben Watson, is a bit impressed an is now unsure whether the team can gain promotion. come on kid, don't fail me now!!!
I answer confidently, we will promote. Here's how the papers barely twisted my words:
Quote:
Gougeon promises promotion
On hearing that Nigel Clough didn't want Q.P.R. to go up, Steve Gougeon still seemed positive.

Media-friendly boss Steve Gougeon has told Nigel Clough that he has no doubt that his Q.P.R. team will gain promotion.

Gougeon told London's Evening Standard that he was extremely positive about his team's chances and found it amusing that Clough believed the club would fall short of their ambition.
I almost feel like Joe Namath, before he wanted to kiss Suzie

FM
Old 03-07-2005, 03:52 PM   #129
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

LOL!

What can be said about Nigel Clough? His press annoucements/statements are probably compensating for his small...um.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:27 PM   #130
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

March 7, 2009
GKChris DayGKSuperb7-9-7-7-7100%33-7.03
DRJames YoungD RSuperb7-7-7-7-897%9-7.00
DLWntMathew SadlerD LVery Good7-7-8-7-7100%22-7.50
DCYelMatthew BatesD LCGood7-8-7-7-897%14 (1)-7.47
DCWntDanny ShittuD CSuperb7-7-8-7-8100%20 (1)17.48
MRMatt CrossAM/F RCSuperb7-7-8-7-792%26 (14)87.33
MLNathan JamesonM RLCSuperb7-7-8-7-894%6 (13)17.00
MCPRBen WatsonM CVery Good7-7-7-7-795%33 (5)47.32
MCPRNigel QuashieM CSuperb6-7-7-7-799%30 (10)27.33
FCJeppe Lund CurthF CSuperb8-7-892%317.67
FCAndrew JohnsonS CSuperb7-7-8-7-7100%29 (7)107.19
S1WntJamie YoungGKVery Poor6-7-8-7-7100%7 (1)-6.75
S2WntDarren EvansD CSuperb7-7-7-7-793%22 (3)-7.36
S3WntSteve BrookerS CSuperb7-7-9-7-794%18 (15)187.15
S4YelMarc BirchamDM CSuperb7-8-7-7-793%18 (12)37.27
S5LstLewis GuyS COkay7-7-6-7-7100%4 (2)16.83
-WntLee CookAM LSuperb8-7-7-7-779%14 (3)17.41
-Iván KaviedesS CGood7-7-7-6-699%26 (6)117.13
-InjPaul DaviesGKVery Good6-8-8-8-776%5-7.40

We play Wycombe at Loftus Road. They are managed by the infamous, and maybe a bit stupid, Nigel Clough. He likes to say stuff but doesn't always back it up. They are in 12th place at the moment.

A few of their players liked what Clough's fortright views regarding our slim chances of getting promoted. I don't knwo where they took the term "slim chances" but it's sure not by looking at our team and our 14 points lead atop the league table...

We start the game with a roar and after only 8 minutes, a nice one-two combination from Nathan Jameson to Andrew Johnson back to Jameson leads to Jameson scoring to give us the lead 1-0. He will add another goal to his tally in the injury time for the first half. This will be the score at the half, and we will pull back in the second back, leaving it at 2-0.

We outshot them 11 to 1, 5 to none on target and we won possession convincingly with 57%.

Nathan Jameson had a monster first half with 2 goals. He was rated at 9 at that point but he cooled off afterward, still finishing with an 8 and the Man of the Match nomination. May have bad news though, as he suffered a minor injury late in the game and his condition dipped to 40% before going back up to 49% at the end.

Colchester lost again so we gain 3 more points on our lead. We're now 17 clear of the current second place and 19 clear of the current 3rd place. Cardiff still has 3 games on hand though and we'll have to keep an eye on them...
1stQ.P.R.37241036815+5382
2ndColchester37171465938+2165
3rdCardiff3419695524+3163
4thPreston36161464024+1662
5thBarnsley37169123838057
6thDerby371511115642+1456
7thSwindon37167145242+1055
8thCambridge37131683831+755
9thLuton371413104137+455
10thBournemouth37159134347-454
11thWatford35158124035+553
12thWycombe371410133432+252

Following the game, I get the bad news about Nathan Jameson. He injured his foot during the game and will miss 2 weeks. Hopefully, Lee Cook will get better soon so we won't be in too much trouble, without a left winger...

Among league news, Chesterfield clinched relegation to League Two.

I decide to have some fun at Nigel Clough's expense. I tell some news reporter than I really feel like I tactically outclassed Clough in our League One game. Here's how it came out in the news:
Quote:
Gougeon scores tactical victory
Queens Park Rangers manager Steve Gougeon has told Nigel Clough that he feels the result in their English League One match on Saturday suggests he got the tactics right on the day.

Gougeon informed London's Evening Standard that he felt his team were the better side and deserved the result.
Take that Clough

Following my comment, some players of my team (Ben Watson, Andrew Johnson, Danny Shittu) believe that they have a similar character to mine and that we will be able to work well both on and off the field. That's nice, let's bring the team spirit together for the final stretch

For the record, Clough never replied to my last comment

FM
Old 03-08-2005, 01:50 PM   #131
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

March 8, 2009
Swansea makes a bid for Mathew Sadler. The 24yo left full back is currently valued at $180k and that is their bid. Bought for $130k about a year ago, the kid has turned to be a solid full back for us. He is currently averaging a form rating of 7.50 in league play, which I consider pretty good. Among his good skills, I like his marking (15), his tackling (18), his anticipation (15), his concentration (16) and his decision (15). That's a no...

Nottingham Forest puts in a bid for Danny Shittu. They are offering his current value of $2.4M. Since coming back from surgery, the 28yo has been too much of a rock in the middle of our defense. Another no...

While looking at some left wingers I come upon a 24yo M L named Peter Till. Contracted to Birmingham, he is currently on loan at Accrington. His contract is running out in June 2009 and since he's 24, he's eligible to be a Bosman transfer. When I go to approach him to sign, my assistant manager tells me he thinks he would become an essential member of our first squad, which is one good thing for him. The other good thing is that he's only asking for $750 per week. I offer him that, $750 per week, to come as a rotation player. After seeing Lee Mansell being unhappy because I had signed him as a first teamer, only to reduce his role soon after he'd join the team, I've vowed to be a bit more specific about the role I intend for a player when I make them a contract offer.

March 10, 2009
Keeping on the shopping action, I offer a contract to Burnley's John Oster. He is a 30yo winger capable of playing on both sides and as such, would make a very sweet, dependable backup to keep in the lineup and have come off the bench in the second half of games when I need to give a breather to one of my wingers. He's asking for $3000 per week while he's currently making $3400 per week. My assistant manager recommends that I offer him no more than $3600 and that he would become a useful member of our team. I decide to take a chance and I offer him $2000 per week as a rotation player.

While I'm still shopping, I see this 23yo AM/F LC with a funky name: Mfundo Shumana. He's playing with a team called Ajax CT, which when you look more closely is Ajax Cape Town, based in South Africa. I like his skill set, VERY MUCH! Only valued at 90k, possibly because he plays for a small team, I decide to offer them 120k for his service. Since he's not playing domestically, the transfer would have to happen on July 1st.

The more I look at his player profile, the more I like him. First, the dude speaks English, which is nice, but he also speaks ZULU!!! Who wouldn't want a player who speaks Zulu on their team?!? Second, he's described as a flamboyant winger, gotta love having a flamboyant winger to bring the crowd to matches

FM
Old 03-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #132
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

March 11, 2009
A bit out of nowhere, I get this message from one of my scouts:
Quote:
Scout watches Howell
Scout Mike Fairclough has been following Hull left winger Tom Howell's progress during recent training sessions.

He has been mightily impressed by the young left winger and believes you would be signing a star of the future.
I don't often listen to what my scouts say. Yeah, I go and take a look at the player, but most of the time, they say some generic, non-committal stuff about the player being a "good signing" or even an "excellent signing", but I've never heard them say stuff like "mightily impressed" and "star of the future" before, and even less in the same sentence.

I take a look at his player profile and quite honestly, I expected a stinker, but I'm pretty impressed. Howell is only 17yo but he's got some skills, namely an almost world class ability at making cross passes. He's lacking a little in pace (only 8) but if he can set up other players with great passes, I think I could live with that, and he's got great stamina, which is always nice for a winger. Even though he's listed as a D/DM L, he is described as a "promising winger", me likey Valued at 600k, I find that reasonable and I put in a bid for that price. I'm thinking that at that age, keeping him to play on my squad for a few season, I could easily sell him back for 3-4 times that price... And how sweet would it be to get a player from the team that overpaid for Jim Paterson I've even saved a copy of his player profile for you to look at (click thumbnail below).

March 12, 2009
Sort of out of the blue, I get this message from my assistant manager:
Quote:
Assistant Manager pleased with Marshall's progress
Assistant Manager Tim Breacker has indicated that youn goalkeeper Joe Marshall has been showing remarkable improvements during recent training sessions.

He feels you should track his progress closely in case an opening in the first team becomes available for the player.
Honestly, at first, the name Joe Marshall doesn't ring a bell, not at all... I take a look at his player profile and I go "WOAH!"... He's a 16yo goalkeeper currently on our U18 squad but mostly playing on the reserves squad and he's averaged form ratings of 7.36 over 14 appearances, conceding only 7 goals in those 14 games and recording 9 clean sheets in the process. I see lots of skills rated at 10, which is pretty impressive, considering he's only 16. I will indeed keep an eye on his development in the future. Here's his player profile for you to take a look (click on thumbnail below).

Among other news, two of my scouts report on Mfundo Shumana. They both think that he would instantly command a place in the Q.P.R. first team, which is nice, but darn it, they also think that the player is unlikely to obtain a work-permit in the forseeable future, bleh. He has 20 caps for South Africa, even scoring 4 goals for them. I'm still going forward with the possible move, we'll see in due time.

Speaking of Shumana and a possible move, Ajax CT get back to me with a counter-offer. Weird, they say they want $146k, but it's more like 70k up front and 70k over the next 6 months. I say yes immediatly. We'll worry about the work permit after that...

FM
Old 03-08-2005, 07:35 PM   #133
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
he's eligible to be a Bosman transfer

a what?
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:17 AM   #134
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkenst
a what?

hehe

The way I see a Bosman transfer is similar to a unrestricted free agent in the NFL, but with a twist.

I don't have my game manual with me and I can't seem to be able to get my hand on a clear wording of the ruling, but basically it says that a player over 24 can for free (no compensation to his current club is paid) with whoever he wants in the last 6 months of his contract, as long as the transfer is set to happen at the end of his contract.

I know it's not exactly the whole ruling, but it's the gist of it, or should I say, it's how I simplify it for my understanding. So basically, a player's contract becomes unprotected when he has less than 6 months to go. You can approach to sign the player (instead of making an offer to the club) with a transfer date set to "immediately" or "at end of contract". Take Peter Till for example. He's 24yo and his contracte runs out on June 30, 2009, so in less than 6 months. His player profile page says that his contract is unprotected. If I approach him to sign with me with the transfer happening immediately, I would have to pay $750k or so in compensation to his club, as compensation for signing him. His club (Birmingham, iirc) would not have anything to say about it. Of course, I could make an offer for less than $750k to Birmingham and still get him immediately on my team.

The other way of signing is to make it effective at the end of his contract. So I would be waiting for him to play out the rest of his contract before he'd join my team. In that case, since he is 24, I would get him without having to pay any compensation to Birmingham. That's how I've set up my offer in this case. I'm willing to wait him out in order to get him for free...

The Bosman term, from what I've read, comes from the name of the player that challenged the UEFA and caused the ruling to happen, a Belgian player named Jean-Marc Bosman.

These kind of transfers also mean that November/December is usually a good time to take a look at who on your team will have a contract that expires in June of the following year. That way, you can extend their contract before anybody steals them from you... At least that's how I see it...

Hope this helps. Anybody with a better explanation of it, please step in

FM
Old 03-09-2005, 09:19 AM   #135
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

March 14, 2009
Hull wants to negotiate the transfer of Tim Howell. They want $340k up front and another $340k over the next 6 months. They also want 35% of the next sale, which I find a bit high for my taste. After seeing Jim Paterson's value drop to $600k after his move from us to Hull, I'd expect to opposite effect to happen if we sign Howell. Add to it the fact we could play this 17yo for a few seasons and want to sell him for, say, $3M... 35% of 3M is $1.05M, that's a lot of dough for a future sale... I offer them 700k now, but with only 15% of future sale, which could still be quite nice for them...

Peter Till agrees to a contract with us and will join us once his contract with Birmingham runs out on July 1st, 2009. I didn't even wait before my scout had reported on him, so he may be a stinker once he gets to the team, but a free transfer of that sort, asking for wags of only $750 per week, is hard to pass by. I guess we'll have the whole picture in July, but for now, you can click on the thumbnail to see his player profile.

FM
Old 03-09-2005, 09:38 AM   #136
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

0_o

Looking at that picture, FM, makes me wonder why you signed him.

There seems to be a reason why he's only asking for 750/wk
Old 03-09-2005, 09:44 AM   #137
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
0_o

Looking at that picture, FM, makes me wonder why you signed him.

There seems to be a reason why he's only asking for 750/wk

yeah, maybe that was a mistake, he'll be on the reserves anyway, give some cheap depth...

The best is yet to come, keep on reading, I'll get to the good stuff

FM
Old 03-09-2005, 11:47 AM   #138
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

March 14, 2009
GKChris DayGKSuperb9-7-7-7-7100%34-7.03
DRJames YoungD RSuperb7-7-7-8-7100%10-7.00
DLMathew SadlerD LSuperb7-8-7-7-7100%23-7.48
DCYelMatthew BatesD LCOkay8-7-7-8-7100%15 (1)-7.44
DCWntDanny ShittuD CSuperb7-8-7-8-7100%21 (1)17.45
MRMatt CrossAM/F RCSuperb7-8-7-7-796%27 (14)87.32
MLWntLee CookAM LSuperb8-7-7-7-795%14 (3)17.41
MCBen WatsonM CSuperb7-7-7-7-7100%34 (5)47.31
MCYelMarc BirchamDM CSuperb8-7-7-7-7100%18 (13)37.26
FCWntSteve BrookerS CSuperb7-9-7-7-7100%18 (16)187.15
FCAndrew JohnsonS CSuperb7-8-7-7-895%30 (7)107.22
S1WntJamie YoungGKVery Poor6-7-8-7-7100%5-7.20
S2WntDarren EvansD CSuperb7-7-7-7-7100%22 (3)-7.36
S3Jeppe Lund CurthF CSuperb8-7-8-799%417.50
S4Nigel QuashieM CSuperb7-7-7-7-798%31 (10)27.32
S5Gino PadulaD/DM LSuperb7-8-9-7-793%1517.27
-LstLewis GuyS CPoor7-7-6-7-7100%4 (2)16.83
-InjPaul DaviesGKVery Good6-8-8-8-767%5-7.40
-InjNathan JamesonM RLCSuperb7-8-7-8-839%7 (13)37.05
-Iván KaviedesS CGood7-7-7-6-6100%26 (6)117.13

We play Watford at Loftus Road. They used to be right behind us in 2nd place at some point, but they started losing games, and the losing seemed to go on for a while, so much so that they're now in 11th place. They're still a team not to take lightly.

Lee Cook gets the start at left winger but I'll have Gino Padula on the bench just in case, since Cook still isn't in the best of match fitness.

We last played on the 7th while Watford played on the 11th, this could give us an advantage.

As we get to the game, Watford shows a very defensive 3-5-2 formation with long back arrows on the wingers.

Andrew Johnson scores the only goal of the game on a pass from Matt Cross in this hard fought battle. They were right with us until the half, even though the score was 1-0 for us. Two players also had minor injuries before halftime, Steve Brooker and Marc Bircham. It's in the second half that our better conditionning made the difference. They still gave us a very long last 13 minutes of the game.

Final Score: 1-0

We outshot them 22 to 11, 11 to 3 on target. With over 10 shots on target and only one goal in, their keeper is a shoe-in for the Man of the Match award.

Cardiff played one of their games on hand since our last match, possibly on the 7th. They're now in 2nd place and won their game today. We're now 16 points clear of 2nd place, with Cardiff having 2 games on hand. Good news! We have now mathematically clinched a playoffs spot
1stQ.P.R.38251036915+5485
2ndCardiff3621696024+3669
3rdColchester38181466239+2368
4thPreston37161474027+1362
5thBarnsley38179124038+260
6thSwindon38177145342+1158
7thCambridge38141684031+958
8thDerby381511125744+1356
9thLuton381413114139+255
10thBournemouth38159144349-654
11thWatford37158144037+353
12thWycombe381410143433+152
13thMK Dons38157164344-152

The report from my physio isn't nice, as both players will miss some time. Marc Bircham has a damaged shoulder and will miss 5 days, while Steve Brooker strained his groin and will miss 2 weeks. We only play in 9 days, on the 23rd.

Following the game, I get an offer from Brighton for Lee Cook. They are offering $130k, which is also his current value. He's worth more than that to us at the moment, especially with the injury to Nathan Jameson. It's a no...

While scouting Watford and reading my scout's report that Keigan Parker is a threat in a pacey attack, I take a look at his skill set and see that he's got a minimum fee release clause of $340k, even though he's valued at $1.2M... Look at this:

hmmm, do I smell a bargain... I'm not too familiar with minimum fee release clauses, but way I understand it, if I make an offer that matches the minimum fee, the team HAS TO accept it. I test it by faking an offer, and yep, that's how it seems to be. As soon as I enter any number over $340k, the line "Offer must be accepted as it meets an active release fee" appears at the bottom of the offer screen... So I could technically get him for $340k, while he's valued at $1.2m and Watford is asking $1.2M for him... Look at this:

Interesting... Looking more closely at his transfer history, I see he was acquired by Watford on a free transfer this past offseason. My guess is they took a chance on him and he turned out to play better than they expected him to, thus the low minimum fee release clause.

I don't see all of his skills, but what I see makes him an interesting prospect. I'm gonna ask my scouts to report on him, if only so I can have a more complete picture of who this 26yo natural goal scorer is...

FM
Old 03-09-2005, 11:52 AM   #139
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

March 15, 2009
Our bid for Mfundo Shumana is accepted! But holy moly does he ask for the whole package or what?!? Here's what he wants for a start:
9600 per week
600 per goal
340 per assist
360k minimum fee release clause
15% yearly wage rise...

hrm... Having just realized the crap that a minimum fee release clause can be, I've got to up that... I also want to try to keep his weekly wage a bit lower. I makes the following changes to his initial offer:
7600 per week
1.5M minimum fee release clause
10% yearly wage rise, everything else stays the same.

I understand that this could be all for naught though (see work permit comment from my scouts)...

Among other transfer news, John Oster is said to be very happy at having agreed terms with Q.P.R. He accepted our low wage offer of $2000 per week and will give us what I think is a very solid backup option at both left and right wings. Click the following thumbnail to see his profile...

Barnsley enquire about Darren Evans. These enquiries are always tough to answer. Evans is only 18, currently valued at 1.3M, but his value has risen consistently and he's been playing very well all season long and I see a lot of potential in the kid. I'd say 2.5M. Well, it won't let me put in 2.5, so $2.6M it is, oh and add 30% of next sale to that please...

FM
Old 03-09-2005, 11:53 AM   #140
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

March 16, 2009
Our bid for Tim Howell is accepted! Going to ask him a contract, I see he's asking a bit more than the $750 he's currently making at Hull. Here's what he's looking for:
2200 per week
+ 32k in signing fee
+ 110 per assist
+ 3.6M relegation release clause
+ 25% yearly wage rise

hrm, a relegation release clause? What's that? If anybody can enlighten me, please do so... Since I have no clue what I'd get myself into, I take it off. My assistant manager recommends $1850 per week. I offer him $1750 per week and while I took off the relegation release clause, everything else stays the same...

March 17, 2009
hehehe, I think I've "declared my interest" on one too many player See, I've been shopping a lot lately, as you may have read, and some things I've not reported in here is the fact that I've declared my interest to teams about a few players, most of them players I never put a bid for, heh. I eventually got a news item saying that other managers were not taking me seriously anymore and that they were even getting tired that I was unsettling their players with my rumours and such. Now, even my Team Board is commenting on my behaviour. While they are still delighted about my management of the team and all that, they are saying that "nonetheless, they do feel it unprofessional that you persist in informing the media of your future transfer targets." Well, I guess I'll stop talking now, well, I'll talk in here, but not to the media

Mfundo Shuman rejects my first offer, saying it was not acceptable. He hopes that his ability could justify a more lucrative salary but that he is happy to proceed with further negotiations. I up the weekly wage from $7600 to $9000 per week, the yearly wage rise from 10% to 15% and I add a $10k signing fee on my initial offer. Again, it still could be all for naught...

FM
Old 03-09-2005, 11:54 AM   #141
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

March 18, 2009
Cardiff play one of the game they have on hand as they draw against 23rd place Wrexham. With them having only one game on hand over us, we're now 15 clear atop the league table.

I get scout reports from two scouts on Keigan Parker, the Watford striker I reported about earlier. They both tell me that he would instantly command a place in the Q.P.R. first team, hmmm, this is interesting. I may well put in a bid for him...

March 19, 2009
The transfer deadline is in one week. That's the one that really counts. After that players will only move at the next possible date, when the transfer window reopens after the end of the season, at some point in June...

I go back to Leyton Orient and put in a bid for right full-back Craig Crane. I offer them his value straight up, that is $1.6M.

FM
Old 03-09-2005, 12:06 PM   #142
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

A relegation release clause becomes active should the team get relegated (ie dropped a division). So if you go up and drop back down, anyone could buy him for the amount stated in the release clause
Old 03-09-2005, 12:09 PM   #143
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
A relegation release clause becomes active should the team get relegated (ie dropped a division). So if you go up and drop back down, anyone could buy him for the amount stated in the release clause

sort of like a minimum fee release clause that is inactive unless we drop down then, right?

Would make sense...

FM
Old 03-09-2005, 12:28 PM   #144
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yup. Doesn't activate till you get relegated.

There's the cousin, a non-promotion release fee. I think that's limited to one season, ie, if you don't go up THIS year (the year the contract gets signed), it becomes active.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:20 PM   #145
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
yup. Doesn't activate till you get relegated.

There's the cousin, a non-promotion release fee. I think that's limited to one season, ie, if you don't go up THIS year (the year the contract gets signed), it becomes active.

That relegation clause should also have some sort of "do not relegate lower than the current level" thing to it. I mean, what if we go up, only to relegate after one season, the clause kicks in, bummer... I understand the clause in the case of a player that wouldn't want to play in League Two, so if we relegate to League Two, it's okay, but if we got Championship and then back to League One, we're no worse than before...

FM
Old 03-09-2005, 04:20 PM   #146
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

anyway, thanks Foz for the comments, it clarified it very well...

FM
Old 03-09-2005, 04:28 PM   #147
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I think it's a safety net thing for a player who thinks that you might go down next year.. he doesn't want to join your club/re-sign and watch you yo-yo back down to the lower level.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:44 PM   #148
Lucky Jim
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
March 11, 2009
A bit out of nowhere, I get this message from one of my scouts:
I don't often listen to what my scouts say. Yeah, I go and take a look at the player, but most of the time, they say some generic, non-committal stuff about the player being a "good signing" or even an "excellent signing", but I've never heard them say stuff like "mightily impressed" and "star of the future" before, and even less in the same sentence.

I take a look at his player profile and quite honestly, I expected a stinker, but I'm pretty impressed. Howell is only 17yo but he's got some skills, namely an almost world class ability at making cross passes. He's lacking a little in pace (only 8) but if he can set up other players with great passes, I think I could live with that, and he's got great stamina, which is always nice for a winger. Even though he's listed as a D/DM L, he is described as a "promising winger", me likey Valued at 600k, I find that reasonable and I put in a bid for that price. I'm thinking that at that age, keeping him to play on my squad for a few season, I could easily sell him back for 3-4 times that price... And how sweet would it be to get a player from the team that overpaid for Jim Paterson

It's one of those unspoken things that if you scout a player and his description is "promising (insert position)" that he has very high potential and could turn into a wonderkid. Any time you see that you should pounce. So at 600k, yeah, you likey
Lucky Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:08 PM   #149
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I think it's a safety net thing for a player who thinks that you might go down next year.. he doesn't want to join your club/re-sign and watch you yo-yo back down to the lower level.

this would describe my hattrick team.

V-IV-V-IV (this season) and back to V next. :/
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:34 AM   #150
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkenst
this would describe my hattrick team.

V-IV-V-IV (this season) and back to V next. :/

all right, I will now refer to the "relegation release clause" as the "CC FC" clause from now on. It fits

FM