Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #101
Radii
Head Coach

I don't want the first thing my baby sees to be StarBurns!

Also, in the last commercial break there was a very very brief shot of Annie in that outfit running in slow motion. Yumm.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #102
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I don't want the first thing my baby sees to be StarBurns!

Also, in the last commercial break there was a very very brief shot of Annie in that outfit running in slow motion. Yumm.

"That's not something a Christian woman uses her baby's head for."
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #103
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:

Interview/Preview here - Exclusive Video Preview: Community's Paintball War, Starring 'Sawyer' and Annie's (Real) Boobs - TVLine

If you want to see the slow motion shot mentioned above, it is 3 minutes into the video.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:57 AM   #104
Radii
Head Coach

I take it all back. Everything I said about how they shouldn't try to revisit paintball. I take it all back. Dear lord what a start.

I don't watch all of the comedies out there right now, but my instant reaction to this one is that Allison Brie should win an Emmy for her performance in this first half hour. So, so good.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #105
DanGarion
Coordinator

Modern Warfare 2 will go down as pure amazingness. The only thing that sucks about last nights Community is that we have to wait a week for Part 2!!!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #106
Comey
College Starter

That's up there with the best episodes ever...I think, for me, they are (so far):

1) Dungeons & Dragons (nothing's even close for me...the hilarity, the humanity, the emotions that pulled at me...best episode of anything ever)
2) Chicken Mafia
3) Modern Warfare
4) Eleven Herbs of Space
5) Phys Ed (pool): Very underrated episode, and perhaps Danny Pudi's best work yet

I'm sure this two-parter will work its way in there somewhere.

In all honesty, there's only one weak episode in this show's history for me, that being the episode with the high schoolers (couldn't stand them). I have become a true mark for this show, so that is likely why.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #107
Comey
College Starter

By the way, I was bored last night and decided to transcribe this. Enjoy.

Look, we've known each other for almost two years now, and yeah, in that time, I've given a lot of speeches. But they all have one thing in common. They're all different. These drug runners aren't going to execute Pierece because he's racist; it's a locomotive that runs on us, and the only sharks in that water are the emotion ghosts that I like to call: Fear, anchovies, fear, and the dangers of ingesting mercury. Because the real bugs aren't the ones in those beds. And there's no such thing as a free ceasar salad, and even if there were, The Cape might still find a second life on cable, and I'll tell you why: El corazón del agua es la verdad. That water is a lie! Harrison Ford is radiating our testicles with microwave satellite transmissions! So maybe we are caught in an endless cycle of screw-ups and hurt feelings, but I choose to believe it's just the universe's way of molding us into some kind of super group.
-Jeff Winger (fake clip show)

Old 05-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #108
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Old 05-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #109
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

oh thank you.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #110
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
In all honesty, there's only one weak episode in this show's history for me, that being the episode with the high schoolers (couldn't stand them). I have become a true mark for this show, so that is likely why.

I'm in the crowd that finds a few episodes to just miss badly, but I'm perfectly ok with that because they are very ambitious and all over the place as far as what they try to do with each episode. So when they miss, I'm still intrigued that "holy crap did they just do a random claymation holiday episode??" even though I didn't really care for it, kudos for going all in on whatever they try to do.

The original paintball episode is up there with the best half hour of TV I've ever seen, its easily at the top of my Community list(the only thing that immediately comes to mind for me is the Scott Tenorman episode of south park).

#2 Community for me is probably the one where Pierce was in the hospital (the levar burton episode), dungeons and dragons and chicken mafia are up there as well.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #111
Radii
Head Coach

Absolutely loved the finale. Leonard with 3 or 4 spectacular lines, Annie is just as hot Orange, and more seriously, I loved how they handled Pierce. Is it possible that Chevy Chase won't be back? I don't generally closely follow what actors are or are not signed on for the next year, etc.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #112
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I take it all back. Everything I said about how they shouldn't try to revisit paintball. I take it all back. Dear lord what a start.

I just saw it (thanks DVR) and echo these statements. Community is an amazing show. They can do anything.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:32 AM   #113
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

As I said, best comedy on TV.

PS, Allison Brie. PPS, Allison Brie.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:47 AM   #114
Radii
Head Coach

Something I never would have noticed, saw it mentioned in a review I was reading:

Quote:
* First, I feel great shame for not recognizing that Troy was wearing Cleavon Little's outfit from "Blazing Saddles" last week. Bad Alan! He started off this one having already removed the top (in the shift from the Western motif to "Star Wars"), and as a result there was never a good opportunity for him to say "Where are the white women at?"

Last edited by Radii : 05-13-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #115
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... missed that as well. Just an amazing show. It can be so meta it hurts (so good) [I'm not sure where I'm going with this].
Old 05-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #116
Butter
Coordinator

Anyone catch the quick cut to 2 cast members from Cougar Town during the celebration scene? Terrific.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #117
DanGarion
Coordinator

I have the weirdest boner.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #118
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I have the weirdest boner.
Is it orange?

Jeff: But there is a place where we will all see each other again, and that place is Denny's.
Leonard: Which Denny's?
Jeff: We'll figure it out later, Leonard.
Leonard: The one near the 15 exit? I'm banned from there.
Jeff: We'll then I guess I'll see you in hell.
Leonard: Then let's kick some taint.

I think part 1 was better than part 2, but there were still some great moments and lines.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #119
Radii
Head Coach

that was set up in part by my favorite exchange earlier in the episode

Jeff: We need to hit them where it hurts
Leonard: In the balls?
Jeff: No not in the balls, leonard.
Leonard: Below the balls then?
Leonard: I believe they call that the taint!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #120
Radii
Head Coach

also agree that part one was better, and its not even close to the original Modern Warfare episode, but they did it well enough and in a way that I don't care at all and was able to thoroughly enjoy it all.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #121
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Is it orange?

Jeff: But there is a place where we will all see each other again, and that place is Denny's.
Leonard: Which Denny's?
Jeff: We'll figure it out later, Leonard.
Leonard: The one near the 15 exit? I'm banned from there.
Jeff: We'll then I guess I'll see you in hell.
Leonard: Then let's kick some taint.

I think part 1 was better than part 2, but there were still some great moments and lines.

Right with you on that, part 1 was better, as most part 1s are, but the sequel held up. It's meta meta, the first paintball was better, but the second held up, just like the 1st part and second part... META META!
Old 05-14-2011, 04:56 AM   #122
Suicane75
Coordinator

Annie drenched in orange was like seeing your cousin naked. You know WHY you have a boner but you don't know WHY you have a boner.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #123
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Something I never would have noticed, saw it mentioned in a review I was reading:

Thanks for that. Missed it, too.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #124
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The Meta, Innovative Genius of 'Community' - Hampton Stevens - Entertainment - The Atlantic

Excessively long article, but I heartily agree with nearly all of the points. We'll probably see in 8-10 years that this show was ahead of its time and the next show that comes along flaunting the conventional sitcom will succeed on levels Community hasn't yet.

Obviously next season is a make-or-break season. I do agree with the conclusion that if Community is to build its audience, it does have to continue developing the character relationships. I think in season two, the writers went out of their way to make almost everyone unlikeable.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #125
Comey
College Starter

I disagree about everyone being unlikable. Actually, everyone had their ups and downs...but it seemed like everyone finished the year on the upswing. Even Pierce, who was a huge dick for most of the season, ended up redeeming himself a bit heading into Season 3.

I'll be very interested to see where they go with Chang, Abed and Annie (if Annie would pursue him...something I hope doesn't happen, as I feel Abed is the best character in TV history), and how they get Jeff back on track towards graduating. I love the show so much...it's really only the third show I've ever been all-in with (Arrested Development and Office through Season 4 being the others)...I hope they get four seasons out of it, so they could do everyone's storyline (college careers) justice. I get the feeling like they might get it, due to the critical acclaim, the fact that they're still around despite sagging ratings, and the fact that NBC Universal doesn't produce it; if NBC made the show, it'd be gone by now. The fact that Sony's footing the (rather expensive, from what I read) bill on things is keeping it around.

Of course, from what I gather, the fact that NBC doesn't produce it is also why they don't promote it over shows like Outsourced. Perhaps, if NBC got behind the show a little bit, the ratings would start to take off and the show could get some more momentum.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #126
Comey
College Starter

It's metamazing!

Old 05-27-2011, 12:35 AM   #127
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
It's metamazing!

The season finale of Community had Cougar Town people in it too. I guess Dan Harmon and David Lawrence are buds.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:51 AM   #128
Comey
College Starter

Yeah, I figured Community fans knew about CT on the season finale. This isn't the first time CT has given Community love, from my understanding...but to have Danny Pudi on as Abed is just magical.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #129
MikeVic
Head Coach

That's awesome.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #130
mckerney
Coordinator

I love the scene where Abed talks about being on Cougar Town in My Dinner With Andre With Abed.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #131
Comey
College Starter

There's a moment, right after he discusses the character's name as Chad, where he smiles. And it's entirely genuine. I wonder so much if that moment was scripted or improvised.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #132
DanGarion
Coordinator

Old 06-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #133
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Meta, Innovative Genius of 'Community' - Hampton Stevens - Entertainment - The Atlantic

Excessively long article, but I heartily agree with nearly all of the points. We'll probably see in 8-10 years that this show was ahead of its time and the next show that comes along flaunting the conventional sitcom will succeed on levels Community hasn't yet.

Obviously next season is a make-or-break season. I do agree with the conclusion that if Community is to build its audience, it does have to continue developing the character relationships. I think in season two, the writers went out of their way to make almost everyone unlikeable.

An amazing article and definitely details why Community is such an amazing show, it's a parody and deconstruction of sitcoms. But, people like to connect with the characters in shows and not just archtypes of sitcom stereotypes.

They aren't necessarily unlikeable as... well, realistic. They have their good and bad sides like the rest of us.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #134
whomario
Pro Starter

In general i think character development on the show is pretty much non-existant (because they "fake" development so often only to have them end up being the same as ever) and i don´t find it funny all the time (normally it´d have to be at least one of those 2 for me) yet i for some weird reason still love the show a lot.

I think that the character of Abed as well as how he is portrayed is pretty much the greatest thing ever on TV.

I think that sadly Pierce/Chevy Chase has become entirely abundant in season 2 when it seemed like the authors were trying too hard to make him more than just a guy that´s funny because he´s old, hope they pair him with Ken Jeong next season now that he apears to be out of the group.

I love both the Dean and Duncan.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #135
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
In general i think character development on the show is pretty much non-existant (because they "fake" development so often only to have them end up being the same as ever) and i don´t find it funny all the time (normally it´d have to be at least one of those 2 for me) yet i for some weird reason still love the show a lot.

My impression is that they don't really advance the characters very far but they do all have legit personalities that come through often enough that its easy to care for them, and I think that's enough to feel a sense of attachment in a sitcom like this.

As far as not funny all the time, a couple TV critics whose podcast I listen to described it as such (paraphrased): "Community is great because they're willing to try anything any week. When you have the lofty goals that these guys do, you're going to miss sometimes, but when you hit, its great" ... and "Community isn't the best comedy on TV week to week because of the creative direction that they've gone and all the risks that they take, but the episodes where Community hits a home run are better than the best episodes of any other comedy and its not even close"

That sounds pretty much spot on to me.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #136
Radii
Head Coach

http://www.avclub.com/articles/dan-h...nd-seas,57085/

A HUGE 4 part breakdown of season 2 with the show's creator. I haven't read it all yet, bookmarked though.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #137
Butter
Coordinator

Was watching the KFC/Spaceship episode last night, and the part where they discover the Dean's map of local rest areas was especially hilarious.

"Why does this one have three thumbs up next to it?"
Dean asides quietly, "Those aren't thumbs."

Made me laugh so hard.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #138
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/dan-h...nd-seas,57085/

A HUGE 4 part breakdown of season 2 with the show's creator. I haven't read it all yet, bookmarked though.

Thanks for the link, I've skimmed through it stopping at episodes I was curious about. I think reading the Dungeons and Dragons piece is worthwhile for any fan of the show. Nice to see the creator feels that strongly.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #139
rowech
Pro Starter

So we're going back and watching the first season. We just finished the 7th episode and we're wondering why the buzz for this show? I chuckle here and there but I'm not really thinking it's anywhere close to The Office or Parks and Rec.

Give it more time or by episode 7, if I don't like it, it's not going to happen?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #140
Comey
College Starter

Some of my favorite episodes are from the mid-point of that season on. They hit their stride probably with the eighth episode (I'm not saying that to coax you into more episodes). The episode with Anthony Michael Hall is brilliant (episode 12).

Old 07-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #141
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
So we're going back and watching the first season. We just finished the 7th episode and we're wondering why the buzz for this show? I chuckle here and there but I'm not really thinking it's anywhere close to The Office or Parks and Rec.

Give it more time or by episode 7, if I don't like it, it's not going to happen?

For me the first season really didnt hit its stride until the 2nd half of the year, and the 2nd season upped the game further. So yes, the first half of the first season is typical stuff, but it gets better every episode
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #142
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

Debate 109 is the ninth episode, and if you don't like that episode, give up. It's not your cup of tea.

I realize comedy is subjective. I'm told by people I trust that Parks and Rec is better than it it was in the first couple of seasons. But I simply can't understand anyone who doesn't think Community is at minimum one of the three best comedies on TV right now.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #143
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Debate 109 is the ninth episode, and if you don't like that episode, give up. It's not your cup of tea.

I realize comedy is subjective. I'm told by people I trust that Parks and Rec is better than it it was in the first couple of seasons. But I simply can't understand anyone who doesn't think Community is at minimum one of the three best comedies on TV right now.

""". Archer is the only one that comes close to me.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #144
MikeVic
Head Coach

The show got me in the first episode, when I realized Abed was quoting The Breakfast Club. I was thinking at first "ok so he's a calm guy that snaps at times." And then when I realized he was quoting Bender... I lost it.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:18 PM   #145
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
""". Archer is the only one that comes close to me.

I'd put Community in my top 3, but could understand if some people didn't. For me the comedies I'd put along side Community are Louie, Archer, The League, Futurama, The IT Crowd and Always Sunny. I do need to watch the more recent episodes of Parks and Rec though, didn't enjoy the first few episodes of it but have heard it's gotten much better.

Last edited by mckerney : 07-10-2011 at 11:20 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #146
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Its amazing how much better Parks and Rec got in season 3. The additions of Rob Lowe and Adam Scott made it what it is now, IMO. I'm glad they get at least one more season. Oh, and then theres Jerry, too.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #147
rowech
Pro Starter

Finished season 1 and have been watching reruns this summer of season 2. There definitely was a change in this show about halfway through season 1. I will definitely continue to keep watching although I wouldn't say it's in my top five comedies right now.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #148
Ryan S
Quarterback

Casting news for series 3

Omar comin: Community casts Michael Kenneth Williams - HitFix.com
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #149
MikeVic
Head Coach

That's fucking fantastic!
Old 07-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #150
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I like "Community". I find it pretty funny. Currently, I would rank it second in terms of NBC's Thursday night line-up. Parks & Rec has been the best over the last two years, hands down. Great comedy, great heart.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote