Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2008, 06:29 AM   #101
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post
perhaps he's finally finished his rock opera tribute to JTM burgers and decided to celebrate?

I can't figure out if he is actually trying to be serious at the end of those when he gives his angry "rock star" look into the camera. If not, great. If so, he comes off as kind of a douche.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #102
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I can't figure out if he is actually trying to be serious at the end of those when he gives his angry "rock star" look into the camera. If not, great. If so, he comes off as kind of a douche.

He's always struck me as such anyway.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:05 PM   #103
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Went to the game tonight... wow.. 7 runs in the first two innings!!!!!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #104
korme
Go Reds

Volquez finishes 8 for 8 on the season so far with 1 earned run or less tonight.

We're currently up 5-3 in the middle 8th, but the news is Keppinger goes down with a fractured patella. The problem here, moreso than the loss of his offensive productivity, is the loss of any regular shortstop on the roster with Castro also gone.

Here are the likely options
A - Call up Paul Janish
B - Have Jerry Hairston play everyday (9 career gp @ SS)
C - Move Phillips over
D - Ugh, somebody please go disconnect Neifi Perez's phone

I would almost rather try to see Hairston everyday, and perhaps then we call up Bruce. Still, Bruce wouldn't get nearly enough ab's so I think we are just going to call up Janish - who is .289 at Louisville right now.

All in all, tough, tough blow for us.

edit - Janish got pulled in the 8th for a pinch hitter, here he comes

Last edited by korme : 05-13-2008 at 09:27 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:09 AM   #105
rowech
Pro Starter

Well....what I would do is to put Phillips at SS, Freel at 2b, and put Bruce in center. They won't.....it's just what I'd do.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:26 AM   #106
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Glad to see the Reds helping the Mets, first they drop 2/3 at Shea then they take the first 2 from the Marlins.

The Reds are lucky the Volquez trade worked out because Hamilton has been a beast.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #107
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Glad to see the Reds coming around, after they drop 2/3 at Shea, they play much better and take the first 2 from the Marlins.

The Rangers are lucky the Hamilton trade worked out because Volquez has been a beast.

I agree- I'll take a good SP over a good OF any day.

Here we go Janish (YAHN-ish) here we go!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #108
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

man the Reds can blow it in style!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:30 PM   #109
korme
Go Reds

Bronson Arroyo good start + blown win from the bullpen = they're together again!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #110
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Old 05-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #111
korme
Go Reds

Has to be one of the best feelings in the world for Mr. Paul Janish
Old 05-15-2008, 07:16 AM   #112
Butter
Coordinator

Best line of the night last night was when Thom Brennaman said, "Bronson Arroyo and quality pitching... together again!" as they were going to break. I laughed during the whole commercial break. I bet he's getting crap from the whole team for those commercials.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #113
rowech
Pro Starter

As he should be. I heard Marty ripping on them the other night.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #114
korme
Go Reds

20-23 son, 5 game win streak. Too bad I'm going to the game in about 5 minutes, cause I didn't want the steak to end.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #115
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think they may have turned a corner, they showed alot of heart pulling out the win against Florida after giving up a huge lead. I wish the Mets showed that kind of heart.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #116
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

VOLTRON!
Old 05-18-2008, 04:33 PM   #117
korme
Go Reds

6 in a row, hell of a game to go to boys
Old 05-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #118
samifan24
Pro Starter

Wow I can't believe the Reds swept the Tribe. Nice going to jump on Lee, who proves he is finally human. Janish had a good game and how about Votto? Isn't it about time they called up Homer Bailey so Dusty can have him throw 110 pitches per start now?
Old 05-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #119
korme
Go Reds

Bailey's been getting shitted on @ Louisville lately
Old 05-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #120
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Bailey's been getting shitted on @ Louisville lately

Yeah but so have Josh Fogg and Matt Belisle and honestly, why do you want either of those guys starting for you every fifth day?
Old 05-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #121
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

OK guys, any insight from the hard-core Reds fans on when Jay Bruce is going to get called up?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:56 PM   #122
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
OK guys, any insight from the hard-core Reds fans on when Jay Bruce is going to get called up?

When Dusty gets fired.

Seriously, why on earth would you hire Dusty for a team full of promising young players? The man thinks anyone under 33 "doesn't know how to win".
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #123
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'd imagine it'll be in June or July whenever the time won't count as a full year.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #124
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

It depends on how well the team does. If we keep competing, even if it has little to do with who's in CF with us, I doubt Bruce sees the field until around July.

Personally, if we go in any kind of funk I can't imagine he doesn't come up at all in June.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:08 AM   #125
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'd imagine it'll be in June or July whenever the time won't count as a full year.

Exactly.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:40 AM   #126
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
When Dusty gets fired.

AKA when the Reds stop playing Corey Patterson and his .273 OBP in center field everyday. Oh, and that's when Dunn stops hitting seventh, too.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #127
korme
Go Reds

JAY BRUCE HAS BEEN CALLED UP
Old 05-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #128
samifan24
Pro Starter

Yes, no more Corey Patterson!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:53 PM   #129
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
AKA when the Reds stop playing Corey Patterson and his .273 OBP in center field everyday. Oh, and that's when Dunn stops hitting seventh, too.

And that .273 OBP is hitting leadoff...

I loved seeing his line from last night.

0-8 3 K's.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #130
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Yes, no more Corey Patterson!

I hope you're right, but I have my doubts. I can still see Baker playing Patterson 4 days a week.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #131
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I hope you're right, but I have my doubts. I can still see Baker playing Patterson 4 days a week.

No way that happens, even Baker understands the importance of playing Jay Bruce everyday
Old 05-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #132
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Cool - I used a bench spot for him on my fantasy team for the last 3 weeks on speculation, so I hope he pays off.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #133
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
No way that happens, even Baker understands the importance of playing Jay Bruce everyday

You would think so. But you'd think he'd understand the importance of not using his #1 and #2 starters as relievers too, but the fucking idiot did that last night.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #134
korme
Go Reds

Harang and Volquez volunteered...

Anyways, who gets DFA'd? Is it Patterson for sure? I could see them making Javy expendable...

But I hope it's Patt, I'll miss his skills

Old 05-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #135
korme
Go Reds

BTW, anyone understand why Volquez was charged with 3 unearned runs? Shouldn't the HR no matter what count for 1 er?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #136
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
BTW, anyone understand why Volquez was charged with 3 unearned runs? Shouldn't the HR no matter what count for 1 er?

not if there was an error that prolonged the inning.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #137
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

Votto's throwing error would have been the third out in the inning. Any runs scored after that error are all unearned.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #138
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Anyways, who gets DFA'd? Is it Patterson for sure? I could see them making Javy expendable...

Yeah, my money's on Patterson or Valentin. The Reds don't need three catchers but my guess is that Jocketty makes an executive decision to cut ties with Patterson. He's a glorified pinch runner now, nothing else.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:50 AM   #139
rowech
Pro Starter

I think it has to be Patterson, Valentin, or Hatteberg. Logic says to dump Valentin. My gut tells me Hatteberg is going to be traded for a minor leaguer or two. I just can't see them dumping another 3 million and not even having the player playing.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:19 AM   #140
Butter
Coordinator

This being the Reds, I mostly think it'll be Janish sent back down. But all 3 of the guys you mention, rowech, are wasting space. Hatteberg has not adjusted well to being the 2nd fiddle to Votto, there is no need to carry 3 catchers on the roster, and Patterson is just a complete waste. I'd almost rather them trade Bako while he's doing well, though, if they can get anything at all for him. He has already started to rebound to his typical near-.200 status.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 AM   #141
samifan24
Pro Starter

Update: it will be Hatteberg (per Cincinnati Enquirer).
Old 05-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #142
Butter
Coordinator

The story I read there said that was just one possibility. But it makes the most sense, considering Valentin can play first as well.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #143
korme
Go Reds

Well I'm glad we are going to keep CP23 hanging around to take ABs away from Bruce, Hairston, Freel, or Hopper if and when he comes back. /sarcasm
Old 05-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #144
lungs
Pro Rookie

So when is the Jay Bruce 8 year extension coming? If the Rays are any indicator, I'd be guessing by 3:15 PM today.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #145
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Have you met Dusty Baker? The legend of Hee Sepp Choi begs to differ, as does any other young player circa Dusty. After his first 0-4 night, expect Bruce to sit for a week. Maybe Dusty has learned, or maybe the scouting department is ready to quit, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:33 PM   #146
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
seriously - Patterson ought to be waived immediately. They didn't need to give him $3M, but what's done is done. He's not as bad as he has looked this year, but if there's one team that doesn't need him, its the Reds.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #147
korme
Go Reds

It's Hatteberg.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #148
kurtism
High School Varsity

Reds Rocket on Bruce (THE REDS ROCKET: My Name Is Jay Bruce and I.....Like to Party):

Quote:
After nearly two months of goin' crackers in Louisville, Jay Bruce gets his chance in Cincinnati starting tomorrow. He's shown that there's nothing left for him to prove in the minor leagues and eagerly awaits the opportunity to be buried deep on Dusty's bench.

In his spring audition Bruce showed that, sadly, he's no Corey Patterson. But, though Patterson's $3 million salary is paid in apple cores and edible tree bark (with incentive clauses for bunts grounded back to the pitcher, first pitches popped up on the infield, and months with an OBP under .250), much to the surprise to everyone in the country, Corey's struggled to get things going. Through 44 games, he's hitting a robust .201/.242/.354 but has managed to keep the bases clog-free with 8 bags in 12 attempts. Those batting numbers are well below the impressive career .256/.295/.411 line we were all expecting coming into the season. Can't win them all.

At the conclusion of Spring Training, Bruce was shipped down to Louisville, mainly to show those fucking nerds what it takes to be a professional baseball player. A top prospect based upon excellent peripherals and pitch selection? That sounds like nerd bullshit to me. I'll bet my Dusty Baker autographed wristbands that the editorial staff at Baseball Prospectus couldn't have made the JV softball team as seniors in high school. They were too busy working on their topographical math charts and reading Shakespeare in the bathroom stall so they didn't have to take a shower with their sweatpants on or, god forbid, reveal their naked bodies in front of the other males. Dusty will be happy to show you where you can store your VORP. Your rectum, you can ball up your complex statistical evaluations and store them there for all he cares. He knows from experience how to transition a player from prospect to superstar. Just ask Corey Patterson and his .256/.295/.411.

The remaining question seems to be where Bruce hits in the order. We know that speed is of utmost importance at the top of a Dusty Baker batting order. Eight bags for the River Bats, is not bad but not great either, especially with that lofty average. If he's hitting leadoff, I want him running every opportunity he gets, regardless of the likelihood of success. Dusty's clubhouse preaches a reckless disregard for the risk involved. It puts pressure on the defense and is the way you win baseball games. So, get your head together, remember that MLB clubhouse managers are expecting more than the $.50 tip you left in Louisville, and ask around and find out which girls have been hanging around Freel's locker. You don't want what they're carrying. You can take that advice from their mouthsores or from the cake.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #149
Atocep
Coordinator

Well, Dusty had him hitting 2nd and he walked in his first plate appearance. Dusty will have him hitting 8th if he keeps that up.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:18 PM   #150
samifan24
Pro Starter

Ok, you guys know I'm an Indians fan but I like to see the Reds do well and I think they have good fans. That said, they gave Jay Bruce a standing ovation before his first ML at-bat tonight. That's ridiculous.