Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #101
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

If I wanted somebody to shit on me, I'd just resurrect my grandmother.

OH I AM SO EDGY
Old 04-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #102
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'd be more in favor of killing those who *shouldn't* have had kids (and presumably their offspring) but I think that we might well below 0 population growth.

SI

Ya, I think the order of preference in terms of benefit to soceity is clearly:

1. Good parents who have good kids
2. People who don't have kids
3. Bad parents and/or Bad kids

Unfortunately, every parent think they're #1, when most definitely aren't. #1is great is you can pull it off, and a disaster if you can't (and it's not always the parents' fault when the kid goes bad), and #2 is an admirable choice as well. #3 causes pretty much all the problems in the world. It takes a lot for a person to be a net gain to society, we start far in the hole as a consumer/polluter.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #103
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Put me down for choosing the easy way out whenever possible.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #104
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Can't say I/we had any great plan or reasons behind having a kid. If you want to break it down, my daughter was not planned but when no prevention is used it's not something that was a big surprise either. We were going to get to it eventually, we just knew that. The only problem on my end was when the topic was first brought up and she said she wanted 8. I crapped my pants, but thankfully got out of that one in the long run.

The second kid, a boy, will be here in a couple months. Almost ten years after my daughter. That wasn't planned either, but since I didn't have anything to do once my daughter was out of the house in eight years or so I am fine with it. Honestly, the way I am I would be pretty bored without kids around right now.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #105
Subby
lolzcat

You need about 50 categories there, not three.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #106
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Can't say I/we had any great plan or reasons behind having a kid. If you want to break it down, my daughter was not planned but when no prevention is used it's not something that was a big surprise either. We were going to get to it eventually, we just knew that. The only problem on my end was when the topic was first brought up and she said she wanted 8. I crapped my pants, but thankfully got out of that one in the long run.

The second kid, a boy, will be here in a couple months. Almost ten years after my daughter. That wasn't planned either, but since I didn't have anything to do once my daughter was out of the house in eight years or so I am fine with it. Honestly, the way I am I would be pretty bored without kids around right now.

Sounds like you got off pretty easy:

How many?
"Eleventy billion, I mean 8!"
"Uh... I dunno. Greater than 1, less than 8."
"2 it is..."

Good negotiating skills

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #107
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Some people want to have kids, and some people don't. They have their varying reasons. Some of the people who choose not to have kids, would be great parents...an even better parent than you are. On the other hand some of the people who choose not to have kids wouldn't be great parents. The same goes for people who choose to have kids. Life in general is no more satisfying with or without kids, and life in general is no more enjoyable either.

If you have kids and you find your life became more satisfying than it was without kids, then I'm happy for you. If you don't have kids and you find your life both enjoyable and satisfying, I'm happy for you. Just don't touch my beer and don't look at my cards.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 04-23-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #108
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
You need about 50 categories there, not three.

4-49: Various politicians and entertainers who think they are experts in everything.
50. Subby
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #109
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I'm not sure what drove me to have kids. As far as family backgrounds, my wife and I couldn't have been farther apart. I am an only child, and she is one of 4 children. I'm used to having my way, she is used to sharing. Perhaps that's why she puts up with me, but that's for another thread.

Because of her family history, she was very excited about starting her own family. Originally, she wanted 4, I wanted two, and we compromised for 3. We had a son in 2004, a daughter in 2006, and I'll be damned if my wife didn't get her way because we are having twins in June (she's a twin...it's a conspiracy).

Seeing the way my son looks up to me, and how we get along, I can't imagine life without my kids. And considering what all we went through with our daughter's birth, and dealing with her aniridia, we just love watching her grow, get stronger, and adapt to the world around her with her limited vision.

Having kids is a blessing for us. I have no idea how we'll handle 4, but I had no idea how I'd handle one. We'll cope, because we always have before.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #110
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I don't know if I've told this story, but this thread seems an appropriate place.

3 years ago we redid my daughter's room. She was 3-and-a-half and already showed a good eye for color. When she picks out clothes, you always think it's a horrible combo until she puts them on, and the outfit looks awesome. She's been picking her own outfits since she was about 1 and could walk into the closet. So we let her help. She picked a light purple for the walls, a dark purple for the trim, a cool "bedtime dragon" border (dragons brushing teeth, taking a bath, and getting ready for bed), and some purplish fairy switchplate covers.

We took the furniture out and painted the room with her helping to do all the walls (she was great with a roller). I then did all the trim, switchplate covers, and hung the border, with a bit of help from her on the border. Then she told me where all the furniture went as I moved it back into place.

When we were all done, I sat down on the floor EXHAUSTED. She sat down in my lap, put her arms around my neck, and gave me my first unprompted "I love you".

Moments like that are why I am glad I have kids.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #111
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Some people want to have kids, and some people don't. They have their varying reasons. Some of the people who choose not to have kids, would be great parents...an even better parent than you are. On the other hand some of the people who choose not to have kids wouldn't be great parents. The same goes for people who choose to have kids. Life in general is no more satisfying with or without kids, and life in general is no more enjoyable either.

If you have kids and you find your life became more satisfying than it was without kids, then I'm happy for you. If you don't have kids and you find your life both enjoyable and satisfying, I'm happy for you. Just don't touch my beer and don't look at my cards.

Well said.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #112
path12
Coordinator

Awesome story. One of my favorite memories was the look on my stepson's face and the fierce hug when he got his first brand new bike on his 11th birthday.

He broke his collarbone a couple days later trying to ride it down a cliff, but that's another story.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #113
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Everyone's choices are selfish. You are being selfish if you choose not to have children so you can spend your free time traveling. You are also being selfish if you choose to have children so you can get a great big hug when you walk in the door.

And there is nothing wrong with that. That's how humans work.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #114
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Because of her family history, she was very excited about starting her own family. Originally, she wanted 4, I wanted two, and we compromised for 3. We had a son in 2004, a daughter in 2006, and I'll be damned if my wife didn't get her way because we are having twins in June (she's a twin...it's a conspiracy).

I keep joking with my wife that this is what will happen with us - she wants 4, I want 2, we will settle on 3 and end up with twins. Funny how the world works
Old 04-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #115
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
Everyone's choices are selfish. You are being selfish if you choose not to have children so you can spend your free time traveling. You are also being selfish if you choose to have children because all you wanted to do was bust a nut without a rubber on or so you can get a great big hug when you walk in the door.

And there is nothing wrong with that. That's how humans work.

Fixed it.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #116
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Fixed it.

I do that all the time...it's called masturbation.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #117
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I only masturbate in public so a condom is required to avoid the indecent exposure charge.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #118
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I only masturbate in public so a condom is required to avoid the indecent exposure charge.

See, I'm not an exhibitionist. More of a sadist. I like to beat people up as I'm masturbating.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #119
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

My wife and I had children when we realised that they're cheaper than hiring servants, yes it take a little while to train them up - but once they're walking and talking they're great

More seriously I'd never really been around young kids / babies since I as an kid myself and wasn't particularly expecting to have children / family etc. - however sometimes life has things planned out and doesn't ask your opinion

For me having kids has been a wonderful experience, yes they can be very stressful at times - but watching them learn and grow is amazing and I'm very proud of all of my brood
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote