Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Do you believe in evolution?
Yes (I'm a Liberal Democrat) 28 22.40%
No (I'm a Liberal Democrat) 2 1.60%
Yes (I'm a Moderate Democrat) 19 15.20%
No (I'm a Moderate Democrat) 1 0.80%
Yes (I'm an Independent/Third Party voter) 25 20.00%
No (I'm an Independent/Third Party voter) 4 3.20%
Yes (I'm a Libertarian) 19 15.20%
No (I'm a Libertarian) 2 1.60%
Yes (I'm a Moderate Republican) 15 12.00%
No (I'm a Moderate Republican) 0 0%
Yes (I'm a Conservative Republican) 8 6.40%
No (I'm a Conservative Republican) 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #101
RendeR
Coordinator

A study of Finches in the Galapagos islands might well be good reading for this as well. As the development of several distinct species of finch across the islands chain pretty much proves that evolutions of one species into another and in fact several HAS happened.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #102
RendeR
Coordinator

Geographical isolation of finches on the Galápagos Islands produced over a dozen new species.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #103
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Geographical isolation of finches on the Galápagos Islands produced over a dozen new species.
What's this? The evolution of Louisville's helmet decal?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #104
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker23 View Post
Evolution does occur within species (see the average height of man in 1890 versus 2000). But never, ever, never has evolution occurred where one species evolved into another. That my friends is a fact.

I think you're forgetting how long a time period we are talking about here. Hundreds of thousands of "mini evolutions" over an unimaginable period of time.

Quote:
Whoever said the human body is a poor design has never studied the body. I would tell you to spend half your life in an operating room, study gross anatomy and then you would see how ridiculous that statement is.

You could spend half your life in an operating room, and still choke to death on a piece of a food at dinner time.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #105
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
What's this? The evolution of Louisville's helmet decal?

Louisville's decal never evolved! It was created each time from nothing! HERETIC.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #106
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Louisville's decal never evolved! It was created each time from nothing! HERETIC.

Ok I laughed.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #107
JediKooter
Coordinator

Michael Jackson evolved before our very eyes...

too soon?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #108
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Michael Jackson evolved before our very eyes...

too soon?

Not too soon, but evolving from circus freak to child molester I'm not sure equates to what we're discussing....
Old 11-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #109
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Not too soon, but evolving from circus freak to child molester I'm not sure equates to what we're discussing....

Well, no one ever said that mutations always resulted in something useful.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 11-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #110
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Well, no one ever said that mutations always resulted in something useful.

Platypus.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #111
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

A point that may be worth mentioning here: both the Catholic and Anglican Churches accept that evolution, in its entirety, is an accurate description of the mechanism that has produced the range of life forms we see today. The evidence is simply too overwhelming to deny it any longer (only last year the Anglican church made an official apology to Darwin for the way he was treated). What they insist on, however, is that this refers to the biology of life forms but that man also has a soul put there by God.

That's the latest escape clause in their dogma

They have argued, though this is another idea that has become somewhat flimsy, that God created the evolutionary mechanism. The problem for Christian churches in particular however is that the Christian God of love, compassion etc sits very uncomfortably with the vicious, dog-eat-dog, one creature's survival is another's extinction process. It's difficult to argue that that is a process that would be created by the Christian God.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 11-29-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #112
Coder
College Prospect

ok, that option was not what I intended..

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #113
Dutch
"Dutch"

I love the way this poll is presented, btw. It's about damn time a liberal actually took the time to figure out that the TV people are over-generalising the evolution=liberal and creationism=conservative crap. So good for you, Kodos!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #114
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I love the way this poll is presented, btw. It's about damn time a liberal actually took the time to figure out that the TV people are over-generalising the evolution=liberal and creationism=conservative crap. So good for you, Kodos!
Virtually every poll shows a large gap between party affiliation and belief in evolution. Almost all the organizations pushing to get creationism into schools are convservative. It has been an issue pushed by those on the right.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/108226/Re...eationism.aspx

Don't try and re-write reality because an unscientific poll from a message board points a different way.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #115
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Evolution does occur within species (see the average height of man in 1890 versus 2000). But never, ever, never has evolution occurred where one species evolved into another. That my friends is a fact.

Whoever said the human body is a poor design has never studied the body. I would tell you to spend half your life in an operating room, study gross anatomy and then you would see how ridiculous that statement is.

For instance the femur (thigh bone) cannot be duplicated by any material in terms of relative weight to strength.
We are not even close to realizing how the brain works.
There are more than five hundred separate muscles in the body, with an equal number of nerves and blood-vessels.
The weight of the heart is about 12-14 ounces and it provides the power to run this machine.

In terms of engineering NOTHING comes close to the human body.
The sheer fact that we age would seem to contradict your belief. If we are designed so perfectly, why do we replicate our cells so poorly?

Facts are based on evidence. There is an immense amount of evidence from fossils to DNA that show species evolving from one to another. Closing your eyes to it and believing in fairy tales and pixie dust doesn't change reality. Although I won't blame you for missing it as I'm sure ignorance is an evolved trait.

Last edited by RainMaker : 11-29-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #116
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Virtually every poll shows a large gap between party affiliation and belief in evolution. Almost all the organizations pushing to get creationism into schools are convservative. It has been an issue pushed by those on the right.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/108226/Re...eationism.aspx

Don't try and re-write reality because an unscientific poll from a message board points a different way.

40% of Democrats believe in Creationism and 60% of Republicans??? Holy hell! Based on the last election that's like what? 60 million Democrats and 60 million Republicans????
Old 11-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #117
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
40% of Democrats believe in Creationism and 60% of Republicans??? Holy hell! Based on the last election that's like what? 60 million Democrats and 60 million Republicans????
Not even close. But if altering reality makes you feel better about having half your Presidential candidates raising their hand and stating they did not believe in basic science, then so be it.

I honestly don't care what people believe or what party they are behind. When it comes down to it, their beliefs aren't strong enough to be their life on it. I just have an issue with teaching fairy tale science like creationism in schools. Pressure to have that done is not coming from the left, it's coming from the right.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #118
Dutch
"Dutch"

Um, I took those #'s from your link. As for "Presidential candidates", McCain believes in evolution as well.

Last edited by Dutch : 11-29-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #119
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Platypus.

They don't really do much of anything.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #120
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:

Wow! Is it something in the water?
Old 11-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #121
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard View Post
Wow! Is it something in the water?

His name is rainmaker, he MAKES his own water.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #122
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
His name is rainmaker, he MAKES his own water.

The astonishment I expressed, though, was not at Rainmaker but at the poll results - that approximately 40% of Americans reject the validity of evolution.

A week ago, as part of the dccumentary celebrations of the 200th anniversary of Darwin's birth, I watched a documentary by a English Anglican priest titled "Did Darwin kill God?". The program began with the statement "to hear the arguments against evolution we have to go to America" and from then on the documentary interviewed Americans at various institutions both for and against the thesis.

There is no worthwhile objection to evolutionary theory in first world countries outside America. As I pointed out earlier both the Catholic Church and the Anglican Church - and that, I suspect, means the dogma of a significant majority of the world's christians - have dropped their objections to the theory. The Anglican Church has even made an official apology to Darwin for the way he was treated. Here (and I can speak reasonably for Britain and Australia) objecting to evolution is like insisting the world is flat.

So it surprises me that around 40% of Americans still do. Such similarities in the cultures yet such differences.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 11-29-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #123
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

The astonishment I expressed, though, was not at Rainmaker but at the poll results - that approximately 40% of Americans reject the validity of evolution.

A week ago, as part of the dccumentary celebrations of the 200th anniversary of Darwin's birth, I watched a documentary by a English Anglican priest titled "Did Darwin kill God?". The program began with the statement "to hear the arguments against evolution we have to go to America" and from then on the documentary interviewed Americans at various institutions both for and against the thesis.

There is no worthwhile objection to evolutionary theory in first world countries outside America. As I pointed out earlier both the Catholic Church and the Anglican Church - and that, I suspect, means the dogma of a significant majority of the world's christians - have dropped their objections to the theory. The Anglican Church has even made an official apology to Darwin for the way he was treated. Here (and I can speak reasonably for Britain and Australia) objecting to evolution is like insisting the world is flat.

So it surprises me that around 40% of Americans still do. Such similarities in the cultures yet such differences.

Oh, I don't think you realize the half of it on how bad it is here and it doesn't stop with evolution. The Discovery Institute being the biggest of the offenders in my opinion of spreading complete non science and lies. Look at the Dover vs Kitzmiller case, classic example of desperation of these people trying to get their crap taught in science classes in public schools here. The Discovery Institute also likes to regurgitate that there is a 'controversy' in the science community regarding evolution, when in truth, the only 'controversy' is the one that the D.I. and others of their ilk are making up. You also have the people here in America who don't have enough common since to know the difference between a theory and a scientific theory.

You mention the flat earth. Well, we have the Young Earth Creationists to deal with too. They believe that the Earth is only 6,000 years old and man walked with dinosaurs.

Of course, then there's this 'war' on christianity that's being waged here that always starts to pick up steam this time of year. In reality, the only 'war' is in the minds of the people making the acusation.

We also have to deal with the tripe that a lot of people think that America was founded on christian principles or is a 'christian' nation, which is bullshit too. A good portion of the founding fathers here were diests and and it is quite evident by how the constitution was written and in their personal writtings and a few of them actually were quite critical of the bible and its teachings.

I think America is a great country and even though it may be home of the free and the land of the brave, it is also home of many many stupid people who blindly follow their preacher, minister, World Nut Daily, etc, without questioning them or doing some research.

So with all of that, I'm actually surprised the percentage of people who reject evolution is not higher here.

The chart is from 2005 and it shows that America ranks second to last (in the countries surveyed) in the percentage of people that accept evolution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 060810-evolution_big.jpg (34.8 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by JediKooter : 11-29-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #124
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I was surprised by the numbers as well. I guess I just don't know a ton of people who don't believe in evolution so I assumed it wasn't that bad.

The whole thing is sad and I'm not sure what can be done. I already think it's a travesty that science teachers have to tip-toe around this topic in class. It would be an even bigger one if we started teaching our students this. Just allows other countries to continue to gain and surpass us in science and technology.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:13 PM   #125
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Notably, some of our conservative guys have abstained from voting. I think, perhaps, that is not an accident. Also, some of the "No" votes really should have been yes (Shkspr, for instance - he didn't like the wording, but clearly believes in evolution as fact).

Last edited by Kodos : 11-29-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:26 AM   #126
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Notably, some of our conservative guys have abstained from voting. I think, perhaps, that is not an accident. Also, some of the "No" votes really should have been yes (Shkspr, for instance - he didn't like the wording, but clearly believes in evolution as fact).

I fall into this category as well.. I believe in Evolution but clicked the wrong radiobutton.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:36 AM   #127
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

40% of this country is ignorant (to be polite)...does seem a bit shocking - until you spend a significant amount of time here.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-30-2009 at 07:37 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #128
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:

I voted. But I am choosing to refrain from debating the minority position in an openly hostile environment. Sorry, guys, I just don't have the time right now.

(Although the reference to World Nut Daily did just about draw me in - snicker, snicker - but I still refrain)
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.

Last edited by revrew : 11-30-2009 at 11:06 AM.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:04 PM   #129
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
I voted. But I am choosing to refrain from debating the minority position in an openly hostile environment. Sorry, guys, I just don't have the time right now.

(Although the reference to World Nut Daily did just about draw me in - snicker, snicker - but I still refrain)

i'm not sure the environment is hostilet hough revrew. i think the environment would be hostile if you came to the discussion in an aggressive stance...but if you came in with thoughtful points in a civil manner I think by-and-large everyone would respond in a civil fashion.

we tend to have an okay track record discussing these "hot button" issues with the exception of a few folks on either side who tend to "go off the deep end" and should just be ignored or not responded to or whatever.

if you don't have the time right now though that is a different matter entirely.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #130
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I believe Evolution is the recipe, but it will never be able to tell us if there was or was not a chef, and I'm libertarian mostly, so I was a libertarian yes. I really consider myself a classsic conservative, but since teh modern conservativism has moved faaaaaar away from that.....

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 11-30-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #131
Kodos
Resident Alien

FWIW, I was thinking of JonInMiddleGA, not Rev. Since he voted already anyhow.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-30-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #132
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I believe Evolution is the recipe, but it will never be able to tell us if there was or was not a chef.....

Two different things. Abiogenesis is the study on how life could have come to be here on earth and would be closer to the 'recipe' that you speak of. Attributing evolution to how life began is a very common misconception, just like when people try to attribute evolution to how the universe began.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #133
kenparker23
n00b

Quote:
Facts are based on evidence. There is an immense amount of evidence from fossils to DNA that show species evolving from one to another. Closing your eyes to it and believing in fairy tales and pixie dust doesn't change reality. Although I won't blame you for missing it as I'm sure ignorance is an evolved trait.

Please,give me evidence. Show me this "immense amount of evidence". I stand by my statement. The finch populations that were previously mentioned are not groundbreaking. Taxonomists are still debating classification these birds. There are proteins that result in different skeletal features of the beak.

Like I said, I DO believe in evolution within species. It is based on environment and natural selection.

However, I do not believe that every living animal in this world evolved from a single cell.

You can criticize the "fairy tale" all you want and you have made it very clear where you stand on this issue. Yes, I am a Christian and I believe in God. If that makes me ignorant, then so be it. I will take my chances.
kenparker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #134
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Please,give me evidence. Show me this "immense amount of evidence". I stand by my statement. The finch populations that were previously mentioned are not groundbreaking. Taxonomists are still debating classification these birds. There are proteins that result in different skeletal features of the beak.

Like I said, I DO believe in evolution within species. It is based on environment and natural selection.

However, I do not believe that every living animal in this world evolved from a single cell.

You can criticize the "fairy tale" all you want and you have made it very clear where you stand on this issue. Yes, I am a Christian and I believe in God. If that makes me ignorant, then so be it. I will take my chances.

isn't part of the problem with what you're asking for though is that it takes hundreds of thousands of years, if not longer. millions even.

look at all the discussion surrounding early hominids - at what point do they go from "chimp" to "human?" Because clearly those are two different species, right? What's the definining characteristic? is it brain-casing? Walking upright? Speech? Because it's there. You won't find it in one skelaton, but you can see the evolution of the skeletal-shape over hundreds of thousands of years evolving to a bipedal form. You can see it in the evolution of the skulls to support the development of the Broca speech-center of the brain.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-01-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #135
Kodos
Resident Alien

WE DIDN'T COME FROM CHIMPS!
Old 12-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #136
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
WE DIDN'T COME FROM CHIMPS!

okay...fair enough...you're right. i should have been more specific in my post and said that we clearly diverged from a common ancestor at some point in the past.

saw something the other night that was interesting about how human head lice and human pubic lice are different. human head lice are unique to humans but human pubic lice are essentially ape-lice. saying that when we lost the hair covering all of our bodies the two species of lice on our bodies diverged evolutionally.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-01-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #137
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I believe Evolution is the recipe, but it will never be able to tell us if there was or was not a chef...

It's that next leap that's always baffled me. How one gets from "a chef" who put all of this in motion to the notion of the Chrisitan/Islamic or what-have-you God that favors a certain people, gives people very strict rules as how to live their lives, etc.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #138
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I don't even know where to start. We have both intermediate fossils for lots of species and DNA evidence. There are countless books and studies on it. This information is hard to find and if you have a particular question I'll be happy to look it up for you.

I'm not criticizing the fairy tale, I'm saying it's ignorant to substitute it in the place of reality. There are a lot of people who believe in religion and accept basic scientific fact.

But like I said earlier, if you were to come down with something like cancer, you won't be demanding evidence from your doctor on evolution when he prescribes you with medicine based off that science.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #139
JediKooter
Coordinator

I think species is an overused/misused word when it comes to evolution. I think of a species as no more than two like or similar entities being able to mate and have fertile offspring. Humans come from the same family that apes and monkees do. However, neither can mate and have fertile offspring, so in that sense we are different species, but, and the big but is, we ALL come from the same common ancestor.

Another issue with using the word species is, I think it was back in the 1700s before DNA and other means were developed regarding evolution, a classification system was developed and in widespread use by the time Darwin and his contemporaries came along and even today, it is hard to get away from that classification system which leads to a lot of confusion.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #140
Edward64
Head Coach

Just another datapoint. Although the common belief is that evolution is slow, gradual changes from adaptation/mutation, Gould proposes that evolution may take 'leaps'.

A Darwinian leap / Stephen Jay Gould proposes that catastrophes triggered mass changes in species
Quote:
Essential to Gould's thinking on evolution for the past 30 years is the concept he has called "punctuated equilibrium," the idea that evolution does not proceed along an infinitely slow course where, as Darwin saw it, individual organisms change and new species emerge in response to environmental pressures that weed out the unfit through a kind of Malthusian "survival of the fittest" and preserve the organisms best adapted to new environments.

But Darwin, ever the uniformitarian, conceded that huge gaps in the fossil record of his time posed the most crucial threat to his gradualist picture of natural selection. In 1972, Gould and his colleague Niles Eldredge, now at New York's American Museum of Natural History, published an influential paper that in effect saw those gaps in the fossil record as what Gould calls "valuable information rather than frustrating failure."

Fossils in long-buried sediments of the Devonian period in Michigan, for example, established that primitive, clamlike brachiopods remained unchanged for countless thousands of years, and that in fact no intermediate fossil forms at all lay between those species and the new and very different brachiopod species that succeeded them after a major "mass extinction" killed off 90 percent of all living species some 367 million years ago.

Thus, Eldredge and Gould concluded that "stasis is data," and that instead of Darwin's minute adaptational changes in individual organisms, evolution must proceed by huge leaps and bounds, with species remaining unchanged for long periods of time until some major event, most probably environmental and quite possibly global, creates an opening for entirely new species to emerge in very brief bursts.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-03-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #141
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Old 12-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #142
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's awesome. I just hope that chimp doesn't eat Kirk's banana. You behave, Grandpa!

Last edited by Kodos : 12-04-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #143
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
I fall into this category as well.. I believe in Evolution but clicked the wrong radiobutton.

Clearly you need to evolve better poll taking skills?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #144
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Evolution is just not best accurately described as "survival of the fittest"- it's really "survival of the good enough".

Just to use a simple example of, say, a giraffe. The tallest giraffe only survives and the others die if, and only if, only the top branch has food available the shorter giraffes die before reproducing. So, the very shortest die out because they can't get any food, but it's not as if the tallest are the only to survive as many in the middle also survive.

Not only that, but with many traits, it's good to be in the middle- not at the top. Great: so you can reach the top branches but you can't escape as well from a predator because you don't have as good of maneuverability and are susceptible to back issues.

And, yeah, more realistically- you aren't going to see substantial changes in species until mass extinction events. A species can get along fat, dumb, and happy with all sorts of excess for quite a while until some disaster preens back its gene pool. At that point, only those with the traits required for survival and subsequent reproduction will survive and those traits will exists in all for that species until mutations start to crop up again.

(As an aside, big bang theory is another matter entirely, in my mind. "The laws of physics work great except for the first few small pieces of time where they bend in ways that don't make sense to balance out equations. Never mind those few moments happens to be the most pivotal moments of our theory." I don't know how long it's going to take us to get telescopes or instruments that will allow us to figure out the moment our universe winked into existence, if ever. But if we do, us and Big Bang are going to look like as we look upon those who thought the sun revolved around the Earth or thought the earth was flat.)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #145
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Just another datapoint. Although the common belief is that evolution is slow, gradual changes from adaptation/mutation, Gould proposes that evolution may take 'leaps'.

A Darwinian leap / Stephen Jay Gould proposes that catastrophes triggered mass changes in species

I thought macro-evolution was pretty commonly accepted as true these days by most experts, since microevolution has some logical flaws.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #146
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I thought macro-evolution was pretty commonly accepted as true these days by most experts, since microevolution has some logical flaws.
I do think macro evolution is pretty much accepted. However, I don't think this contradicts what Gould is proposes about rapid leaps in evolution.

Anyone major in biology?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote