Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-27-2005, 08:46 AM   #101
Blackadar
Retired

I started on the Virtue server. I'm so lost...

If I start a character on Victory, what's a needed role in that supergroup?
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:57 AM   #102
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Certifiable, like in the Whore College thread? MxO sucked ass. The best thing about it was the anticipation while you waited half an hour for the install. After that, it was all downhill.

MxO isn't for anyone except people who are in love with the Matrix story. The gameplay is weaker than most of the other games out there.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:07 AM   #103
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
I started on the Virtue server. I'm so lost...

If I start a character on Victory, what's a needed role in that supergroup?

I dont' think there is ever a shortage of any type. Everyone has tons of alts and/or people are logging on/off all the time.

Build whatever you want and we'll fit it in. That is actually part of the fun: trying to do missions with the rag-tag bunch that are logged in. A poor man's difficulty slider in a way.

We always seem to have a decent mix (if not always optimal).

Our lower levels (1-30) seem to be pretty devoid of blasters and controllers. We have tons of scrappers, a few fire tanks, several invuln tanks. Other's can verify my guesses but the lack of blasters doesn't help with the killing stuff. The more Damage the better!
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:08 AM   #104
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi
MxO isn't for anyone except people who are in love with the Matrix story. The gameplay is weaker than most of the other games out there.
I disagree with the first part of your statement. I loved the Matrix, Reloaded, and Revolutions and it still sucks. Maybe I'm not as big of a fanboy as most out there, but I still consider myself a big fan.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:09 AM   #105
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
I dont' think there is ever a shortage of any type. Everyone has tons of alts and/or people are logging on/off all the time.

Build whatever you want and we'll fit it in. That is actually part of the fun: trying to do missions with the rag-tag bunch that are logged in. A poor man's difficulty slider in a way.

We always seem to have a decent mix (if not always optimal).

Our lower levels (1-30) seem to be pretty devoid of blasters and controllers. We have tons of scrappers, a few fire tanks, several invuln tanks. Other's can verify my guesses but the lack of blasters doesn't help with the killing stuff. The more Damage the better!
I concur. We don't have any blasters that I can think of off the top of my head. Makes Streak even more valuable.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:11 AM   #106
Bonegavel

Speaking of Fire Tanks... hit 18 last night (thanks to hoopsguy and ThePanther) and Burn, even without slotting, is PHENOMENAL!

I don't want Taunt to be my main character, but I can see it being a very fun diversion or a good alt to have in my back pocket. I wouldn't mind a few power selection/slotting tips from Raiders Army as White Napalm appears to have what it takes.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:14 AM   #107
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
I disagree with the first part of your statement. I loved the Matrix, Reloaded, and Revolutions and it still sucks. Maybe I'm not as big of a fanboy as most out there, but I still consider myself a big fan.

With the brothers writing parts of the continuing story for this game, the orginial actors doing voice work, this game is supposed to continue the story. For fan boys, this is great. Gameplay issues can be ignored for content/story. I know people who are doing this.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:16 AM   #108
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi
With the brothers writing parts of the continuing story for this game, the orginial actors doing voice work, this game is supposed to continue the story. For fan boys, this is great. Gameplay issues can be ignored for content/story. I know people who are doing this.
I just don't know how they do it. Paying $15 a month for a continuing story that you can read about in their message boards? That seems a little excessive to me. I guess the gameplay issues far outweigh the content/story for me. But, to each their own.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #109
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Speaking of Fire Tanks... hit 18 last night (thanks to hoopsguy and ThePanther) and Burn, even without slotting, is PHENOMENAL!

I don't want Taunt to be my main character, but I can see it being a very fun diversion or a good alt to have in my back pocket. I wouldn't mind a few power selection/slotting tips from Raiders Army as White Napalm appears to have what it takes.
I would recommend this link for appropriate fire tank tips.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:21 AM   #110
Bonegavel

Quote:
I concur. We don't have any blasters that I can think of off the top of my head. Makes Streak even more valuable.
I may dust off Phaero (fire/fire blaster) or Ramean (energy/energy) to see if they can help our team finish missions a bit more quickly and with some oomph. Not saying that scrappers aren't doing the job, it is just that blasters are supposed to be the kings of damage.

So far my list is as such:

Albino Claw 50 claw/regen scrapper
Ramble 23 SS/Invuln tanker
Tauntological 18 fire/fire tanker
Silent Partner 18 mind/transfusion controller
Phaero 15 fire/fire blaster
Ramean 11 energy/energy blaster
Excidian 8 spine/invuln scrapper
Timestamp 5 energy/invuln tanker (just a test build)

Last edited by Bonegavel : 04-27-2005 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:23 AM   #111
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Albeano Claw 50 claw/regen scrapper
Fixed it for ya.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:25 AM   #112
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
I just don't know how they do it. Paying $15 a month for a continuing story that you can read about in their message boards? That seems a little excessive to me. I guess the gameplay issues far outweigh the content/story for me. But, to each their own.

I'm with ya!
Old 04-27-2005, 10:37 AM   #113
Bonegavel

Quote:
Fixed it for ya.

hehe, that cracks me up eeeevery time.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:43 AM   #114
Bad-example
College Starter

I haven't had any luck looking up details on the cape mission. How does that work?

Professor Ion has been a lot of fun so far, but he could use a nice cape to cover his tight, toned and tattooed ass.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:46 AM   #115
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
I haven't had any luck looking up details on the cape mission. How does that work?

Professor Ion has been a lot of fun so far, but he could use a nice cape to cover his tight, toned and tattooed ass.
I thought coh.warcry.com had a good write up of it.

Looking...

Here:

hxxp://coh.warcry.com/scripts/columns/view_sectionalt.phtml?site=36&id=337&colid=4854

Last edited by gi : 04-27-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:48 PM   #116
Bad-example
College Starter

Thanks! I had checked there earlier but didn't see that walkthru. It sounds like a real pain.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:56 PM   #117
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
Thanks! I had checked there earlier but didn't see that walkthru. It sounds like a real pain.

With one of us helping you, not so much. Kinda easy.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:17 PM   #118
gi
College Prospect

Playing Maiden Io right now
Old 04-27-2005, 04:19 PM   #119
Bonegavel

Been laying low gi?

Haven't seen you around Burger World lately.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:30 PM   #120
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Been laying low gi?

Haven't seen you around Burger World lately.

Been busy and needed a break from the game. Moved to a new rented house, got a new GF...etc...

I'm back!
Old 04-27-2005, 05:32 PM   #121
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi
Been busy and needed a break from the game. Moved to a new rented house, got a new GF...etc...

I'm back!

A /NEW/ GF? What happened to the old one?
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:33 PM   #122
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot
A /NEW/ GF? What happened to the old one?

Put her on the curb.

Needed an upgrade.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:49 AM   #123
JeeberD
General Manager

Hey, just wanted to say that I had a bunch of fun with you guys the other night. It's good to be back and fighting evil again...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 09:05 AM   #124
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Ditto.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:10 AM   #125
gi
College Prospect

Was able to get Maiden Io to 29 yesterday. Probably will not be on until Friday or Saturday.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:11 AM   #126
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi
Put her on the curb.

Needed an upgrade.

Was this through Yahoo as well?
Old 04-28-2005, 10:37 AM   #127
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot
Was this through Yahoo as well?

This one contacted me through Match.com

First one I met through Match. Probably the best looking one as well.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:58 AM   #128
Bonegavel

After doing a count the other day, I have characters on 9 of the 11 servers. It seems the more I delve into the game the more I need to try out different combinations.

Last night I went from Level 7 to 10 on my Peacebringer Kheldian.
While in atlas (at Level 7) I got 2 relative n00bs on my team and we managed to take down 2 missions dealing with the Council. I may have hit 8 during the mission and after training and grabbing a mission to see the Security Officer for Perez Park my 2 companions dropped off.

So, I head into Perez by my lonesome. I used to be xenophobic, apart from our Super Group, and would only join groups in the rarest of circumstances. Now, I open the Find window and invite any player that is +/- 2 Levels to me and not on a team. By doing this, I built a powerhouse team in the Park that proceeded to clean up the Hellions and proceed to help me to 10.5 in the Level dept.

The core of the group was comprised of 3 Kheldian PBs. This was my first time teaming with other khelds so it was interesting that by the time we rounded out the group with Blasters/Controllers/Scrappers (no defenders were in PP) we were an unstoppable grinder.

In the end, Midnight acted as the curtain call for my participation in the group.

Which brings me to this point about CoH. With each Issue that is released (currently at the 4th since release), the game complexity/dynamics increases and whereas much of the gameplay remains the same, there seems to be more and more life to squeeze from this.

??

Well, my above experience is one example. I have found a way to make building a team into a mini-game. Trying to get the most out of each member. Helping n00bs understand the game a bit more. Inviting any and everyone that I can to the team and seeing if it can work.

And, doing the above in a manner that isn't preaching or condescending. Let the player see he isn't having success and letting him ask. That is when they open up and let your experience trickle in. Best of all is the learning from them. While the game mechanics are relatively easy, there are a plethora of subtleties and there is nothing like learning something new from a kid that just purchased the game a week ago.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:00 AM   #129
Bonegavel

I'd also like to throw out some welcome's to HellAtlantic.

Enjoying it so far?
Old 05-13-2005, 09:05 AM   #130
Bonegavel

My latest list on Victory:

Colophon (10) - Peacebringer Kheldian
Albino Claw (50) claw/regeneration scrapper
Ramble (23) invulnerable/superstrength tanker
Silent Partner (19) mind/kinetics controller
Tauntological (26) fire/fire tanker
Pyronancy (2) fire/empathy controller
Excidian (12) spines/invulnerable scrapper
Phaero (7) ice/ice blaster
Old 05-13-2005, 09:10 AM   #131
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd also like to throw out some welcome's to HellAtlantic.

Enjoying it so far?
Isn't he still in the box? His name is Dean Houston, BTW. I think I let everyone know in there, but I haven't seen him yet...granted, I've been out since Sunday.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:12 AM   #132
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Dola, played for the first time last night since Saturday night. I'm back to work today (yay, one day workweek), but I still can't see worth shit.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:00 AM   #133
Bonegavel

Hehe, didn't know he was in the box. He was on last night as Dean Huston. Hope to meet up with you in game soon RA All our schedules are a little off kilter.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:01 AM   #134
Bonegavel

Quote:
Dola, played for the first time last night since Saturday night. I'm back to work today (yay, one day workweek), but I still can't see worth shit.
Oh yeah, how are your eyes? When did you have the surgery?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:26 AM   #135
Bonegavel

Guess it would help if I read the boards a little more. I just caught your thread on the surgery. Good luck!!
Old 05-13-2005, 10:44 AM   #136
JeeberD
General Manager

HA is out of the box...he was making his usual ass out of himself yesterday.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:35 PM   #137
Bad-example
College Starter

I have Professor Ion up to 30 now. I am still enjoying working on missions either grouped within the SG or, more often, solo. I have been playing mostly in 30-90 minute sessions, usually completing 1-4 missions and always feeling I made real progress.

I also missed the thread about the eye surgery. I hope it works out well for you RA. Hope you can play soon.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:44 PM   #138
Whar
Mascot

Pain Cry and Mind Cry are in limbo. I can not log in on either of my machines. After getting the patch window and agreeing to the EULA the program seems to die. I click the 'next' button which normally launchs the 'loading' message and leads to the login screen but on my systems nothings starts.

I figured I would reinstall but can not find my second CD ... so I am kinda screwed. Is there a download I can get?
Old 05-13-2005, 04:57 PM   #139
Anthony
Banned

i like the game a lot. currently lvl 12. can't wait till 14 so i can finally fly. i'll admit i'm powergaming a bit, only because i hate seeing every TP or run fast or jump far, so i want to get to 14, train to fly, then i'll play at my normal pace. i'm doing the same missions over and over just to get xp (with different groups of people), after i get 14 i'll go back to concentrating on my own quests.

the game is great. i only have Dean Houston, and i'm not too fond of having like 10 alts, so look for me on Victory, i think Dean might be the only character i'll use for quite some time.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:24 PM   #140
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
i like the game a lot. currently lvl 12. can't wait till 14 so i can finally fly. i'll admit i'm powergaming a bit, only because i hate seeing every TP or run fast or jump far, so i want to get to 14, train to fly, then i'll play at my normal pace. i'm doing the same missions over and over just to get xp (with different groups of people), after i get 14 i'll go back to concentrating on my own quests.

the game is great. i only have Dean Houston, and i'm not too fond of having like 10 alts, so look for me on Victory, i think Dean might be the only character i'll use for quite some time.

Fair warning HA, flight isn't that fast as say superjump or superspeed...
Old 05-13-2005, 07:10 PM   #141
Anthony
Banned

but it looks cooler. but thanks for the 411.

i like that in CoH there is a higher amount of people who want to group. everyone in WoW always ran around doing their own thing. people actually invite me into their groups, sometimes i gotta say i'm lfg but most of the times they just offer. i like that willingness to group.

Dean Houston is a blaster, but fights like a scrapper. after dying a ton i conceeded i need to hang out in the back and do my damage from a distance.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:11 PM   #142
Anthony
Banned

i'm gonna be on CoH for about 1.5 hours now, fyi.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:15 PM   #143
Schmidty
Coordinator

I am having trouble getting into this game. I find it extremely sterile and boring after coming from WoW (which I still play more), and Guild Wars (which I play on occasion). There just doesn't seem to be a point other than adding new powers (which aren't unique to anyone), or compiling badges (silly IMO) and Enhancements (which are the same other than the Origin/Power). I just feel like a clone in a suit. The most fun I have is designing my costume, but I just don't think that alone is worth the monthly fee. Hopefully, it'll grow on me.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:49 PM   #144
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
I am having trouble getting into this game. I find it extremely sterile and boring after coming from WoW (which I still play more), and Guild Wars (which I play on occasion). There just doesn't seem to be a point other than adding new powers (which aren't unique to anyone), or compiling badges (silly IMO) and Enhancements (which are the same other than the Origin/Power). I just feel like a clone in a suit. The most fun I have is designing my costume, but I just don't think that alone is worth the monthly fee. Hopefully, it'll grow on me.

Schmidty, I feel the EXACT same way. I'm letting my subscription run out. I know I only reached level 11, but the game seems pointless and all the zones I've been able to visit look the same. The mobs all look the same. I'm sure there's a good game here, but I can't seem to find it.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:52 PM   #145
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Schmidty, I feel the EXACT same way. I'm letting my subscription run out. I know I only reached level 11, but the game seems pointless and all the zones I've been able to visit look the same. The mobs all look the same. I'm sure there's a good game here, but I can't seem to find it.

Yeah. I think that if CoH was the only MMORPG around, I'd stick with it. But there are so many other better (to me) options right now, that I just can't justify playing it.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:20 PM   #146
Raiders Army
Coordinator

To each their own. I'm still getting some good mileage out of my money for this game. BTW, I just did my first Hami Raid. Pretty cool, and got a Dam/Acc Hami-O.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:00 PM   #147
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Is WoW that much different? If crafting is one of the differences, I would rather etch RVNES into my scrotum than spend a minute doing that.

Loot means nothing to me. Combat is what it is all about. Maybe this comes from my 8 years of devotion to FPS games, but the only MMO that has fun combat is CoH.

The selection of powers and the slotting thereof is the true meat of this game (beyond the fighting, of course) and you can run 88 simultaneous characters across the 11 servers.

You can solo very well in this game and it is easy to team up.

Sure the missions get boring but I'd be willing to bet that WoW is the same. Kill X of Y. Take this message to Blabbodar. Gather 20 snail shells. Same same same.

How do you find it sterile? I went through periods of extreme disappointment in the game but there is a deeper game under the hood if you take the time to see it.

Of course, YMMV and this is why there are dozens of MMOs out there. I've tried a lot of them and they all are monotonous time sinks. It just so happens that CoH adds just enough fun into the combat to make it worth the investment.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:15 PM   #148
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Is WoW that much different? If crafting is one of the differences, I would rather etch RVNES into my scrotum than spend a minute doing that.

Loot means nothing to me. Combat is what it is all about. Maybe this comes from my 8 years of devotion to FPS games, but the only MMO that has fun combat is CoH.

The selection of powers and the slotting thereof is the true meat of this game (beyond the fighting, of course) and you can run 88 simultaneous characters across the 11 servers.

You can solo very well in this game and it is easy to team up.

Sure the missions get boring but I'd be willing to bet that WoW is the same. Kill X of Y. Take this message to Blabbodar. Gather 20 snail shells. Same same same.

How do you find it sterile? I went through periods of extreme disappointment in the game but there is a deeper game under the hood if you take the time to see it.

Of course, YMMV and this is why there are dozens of MMOs out there. I've tried a lot of them and they all are monotonous time sinks. It just so happens that CoH adds just enough fun into the combat to make it worth the investment.

I can't speak for Schmidty, but I feel very much the same way he does. What's lacking for me is...atmosphere. The zones I've been to - all 5 or so - all look very similar. They're just not very appealing. I'm already tired of the concrete jungle and I've been able to group (mentored) by a bunch of 40th level character...and they're adventuring in the very same instanced buildings that I've been in since level 2!!! It's very unappealing to me. There's no surprise around the next corner, no real eye candy.

The mobs that I fight are all the same, too. They all are humanoid. Whoopie ding-dong...more gangs to kill. I'm a superhero...why don't I feel like one?

Beyond that, I haven't been able to find any real storyline. I'm running a bunch of seemingly endless random missions.

Does this mean I hate CoH? No. In fact, it's one of those "very close" games for me. But I don't quite get it and have never really been sucked into the game.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:28 PM   #149
Anthony
Banned

you might feel more like a character once City of Villains comes out and you're actually fighting against "evil" characters who can kick your ass.

and save the "i don't like PVP" crap. if you don't like even a small element of PVP then there isn't a reason to play MMORPGs. you can play games like The Elder Scrolls or something. i don't like griefing (or the concept of it, i haven't ever been griefed), but the goal of these types of games is that eventually you're going to have to face a human controlled character. if you don't find that appealling then you're into the wrong type of game.

content-wise, sure, it might be lacking, but this game is fun to play. i'm on it fairly often, because i want to build my hero's powers up and have him ready for when the real baddies come (the Villains). this game makes it very easy to play with your friends, regardless of level due to the side-kick/exemplar options. you can play at your own leisure and no matter what level everyone is all your friends can be in a group together.

it might seen like the environments are the same, as well they should. the game takes place in Paragon CITY. not the planet of Paragon. i would assume being in the same city would mean you're going to run into the same parts of town often throughout your adventures. that's my take on it.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:28 PM   #150
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
you might feel more like a character once City of Villains comes out and you're actually fighting against "evil" characters who can kick your ass.

and save the "i don't like PVP" crap. if you don't like even a small element of PVP then there isn't a reason to play MMORPGs. you can play games like The Elder Scrolls or something. i don't like griefing (or the concept of it, i haven't ever been griefed), but the goal of these types of games is that eventually you're going to have to face a human controlled character. if you don't find that appealling then you're into the wrong type of game.

content-wise, sure, it might be lacking, but this game is fun to play. i'm on it fairly often, because i want to build my hero's powers up and have him ready for when the real baddies come (the Villains). this game makes it very easy to play with your friends, regardless of level due to the side-kick/exemplar options. you can play at your own leisure and no matter what level everyone is all your friends can be in a group together.

it might seen like the environments are the same, as well they should. the game takes place in Paragon CITY. not the planet of Paragon. i would assume being in the same city would mean you're going to run into the same parts of town often throughout your adventures. that's my take on it.

Sure, I like PvP a bit. Not just all the time.

The game makes it very easy to play with friends.

I'm not arguing that. I'd probably like CoH if the monthly fee was $5 or so. I just don't think I'd get enough out of it to justify the $15. It's a change of pace game, not a primary game for me.