Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2008, 04:14 PM   #101
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Again the Giants looked great. Minus a few special teams blunders their running game was awesome against an amazing run defense. They could have hung 45 on them if they wanted to, it just looked so easy for them.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #102
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- People may laugh at me, but Brandon Jacobs should start getting some serious MVP consideration.

10 games in, 11 TD, an 900 rushing yards, all the while sharing the load for a 9-1 team.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #103
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Sure it was against the Raiders, but it's still a victory. Dolphins are 6-4. They've won four in a row. The Hurricanes have won five in a row.

It's nice to be able to really enjoy football again.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #104
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
When it got down to 3-4 minutes left, I was hoping for the tie since I had never actually seen a football game end in a tie.

My son tells me that the last tie was in 2002. That wasn't that long ago. Not like the 60s where half the games ended up in ties.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #105
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
My son tells me that the last tie was in 2002. That wasn't that long ago. Not like the 60s where half the games ended up in ties.

Yeah ESPN said it was the first tie in 6 years. I guess the real thing we've found out here is that I don't watch EVERY football game all the time, I definitely didn't see it 6 years ago, nor any time I may have been watching with my grandfather.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #106
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

niners with 35 points in the first half.

more then they have scored in a whole game so far this season.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #107
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I actually was a bit suprised when I saw so many people having never seen a tie before. For some reason in my head I thought I remembered seeing at least 2 of them in my life (Atlanta vs Pittsburgh and then I thought I remembered a Kansas City tie in the 1990s. I guess I didn't realize they wern't that common and I had actually seen the last tie game before this one.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #108
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Shaun Hill got a perfect passer rating after the first half
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #109
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

What a terrible throw by Rivers.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #110
Autumn
Head Coach

I'm lazy and without reception. Who tied?
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #111
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Yes, but I didn't actually watch that game, nor any other game that ended in a tie until this one.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #112
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Bungles and Iggles tied.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #113
Autumn
Head Coach

Well, that's about right then.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #114
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
When it got down to 3-4 minutes left, I was hoping for the tie since I had never actually seen a football game end in a tie.

Man, I remember watching college and pro games in the late 60s and early 70s BO (Before overtime) and ties were pretty common. Wouldn't be unusual for four or six teams to have at least one tie and some seasons you'd see teams finish with two or more ties.

Drove people crazy too. A lot of times teams would play for the tie rather than try to win.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 11-16-2008 at 05:02 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #115
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The last one I watched was the Falcons-Steelers tie. Fantastic game.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #116
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Kurt is 27 for 35, 350 yds. It is like it's 1999 (and 2001) all over again. Sweet.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #117
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Kurt is 27 for 35, 350 yds. It is like it's 1999 (and 2001) all over again. Sweet.

And he could end it all with another MVP.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #118
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And he could end it all with another MVP.

Apparently you havent been watching the venerable Aaron Rodgers.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #119
Galaril
Pro Starter

Regardless if they win or loss the formula for beating the Titans of "get a big lead and they can't play catch up" has now been proven wrong with the Titans coming back from a halftime deficit of 14-3 to take a 17-14 . Collins has been throwing for a few long pass 47 and 57 yards today.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:25 PM   #120
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Regardless if they win or loss the formula for beating the Titans of "get a big lead and they can't play catch up" has now been proven wrong with the Titans coming back from a halftime deficit of 14-3 to take a 17-14 . Collins has been throwing for a few long pass 47 and 57 yards today.

Thanksgiving Day it ends. The undefeated Titans vs the winless Lions. Lions will win, Ford will sign Mayhew to an extension, and I'll become a New Orleans VooDoo fan.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #121
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Thanksgiving Day it ends. The undefeated Titans vs the winless Lions. Lions will win, Ford will sign Mayhew to an extension, and I'll become a New Orleans VooDoo fan.

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #122
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Holy moly, did I just see an NFL game end in a tie? I'm not sure I've ever seen that.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't an NFL game.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #123
Swaggs
Coordinator

Good lord.

Nate Washington may be one of the most physically impressive, as far as size and speed), receivers in the NFL, but he must have the worst hands of any skill player in the league. It's amazing how many times he has been able to get himself wide open this season and not come up with catches.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:39 PM   #124
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Few. I thought the Lions might actually pull that out.

6 more games until history!

Look on the bright side, Culpepper has about 1 TD for every 2 turnovers so he's already in mid season form.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #125
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Look on the bright side, Culpepper has about 1 TD for every 2 turnovers so he's already in mid season form.

In his defense, that last INT was right in the numbers, and had a tight spiral.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:59 PM   #126
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
In his defense, that last INT was right in the numbers, and had a tight spiral.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #127
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The Cardinals shouldn't just be squeeking by these inferior teams, esp. if they want to win a playoff game.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #128
DeToxRox
Head Coach

After watching GMen and Carolina today, I think this would be a fantastic game come NFC Title Game time I love how they both run the ball, and play physical D. Carolina looked flat today but found a way to win, which is what good teams do.

The only thing standing in Carolinas way is Delhomme was awful the last two weeks. If he even gets back to a game management role, and lets Smith makes plays after the catch the Panthers will do damage.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #129
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It's also amazing to see a QB go 31 for 41 and 300 yds, plys 100+ yds in the running game and yet only have 8 points on the board.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #130
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
After watching GMen and Carolina today, I think this would be a fantastic game come NFC Title Game time I love how they both run the ball, and play physical D. Carolina looked flat today but found a way to win, which is what good teams do.

The only thing standing in Carolinas way is Delhomme was awful the last two weeks. If he even gets back to a game management role, and lets Smith makes plays after the catch the Panthers will do damage.

I am having a difficult time finding any NFC matchup that I think would be a good one. I am definitely not on the Carolina bandwagon, I am not sure they will even hold on to win their division, and if they do I don't see them going far in the playoffs.

No one in the west really does alot for me. Arizona I think would have problems stopping the Giants and their high scoring offense would have less time on the field. In the Central, I think the Bears might be the best matchup against the Giants, but I have no idea if the Bears will even make the playoffs.

I think right now it seems clear to me, the most dangerous opponent for the Giants is themselves. I know there are some super huge Eli fans on this board, but he still seems to be doing well to me because of that tremendous o-line. He still makes a few plays each game that I have seen that make you scratch your head. I think if the Giants just make dumb mistakes, they will lose.. otherwise it just seems they have the best team in the NFC right now.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #131
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Crazy that if Pitt wins with a FG here, it'll be the first time in NFL history a game ends 11-8
Old 11-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #132
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Crazy that if Pitt wins with a FG here, it'll be the first time in NFL history a game ends 11-8

Um, it can only end 11-8 if they let the Chargers kick an extra point without getting a touchdown.

Last edited by EagleFan : 11-16-2008 at 06:17 PM.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #133
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Um, it can only end 11-8 if they let the Chargers kick an extra point without getting a touchdown.

Meant 11-10.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:22 PM   #134
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Meant 11-10.

Well, not going to be 11-10 now either

Old 11-16-2008, 06:24 PM   #135
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #136
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So the game does end 11-10.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #137
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Even more pathetic performances by the Eagles, Panthers, and Dolphins against the 3 worst teams in the NFL. Looks like they might all escape with wins though.

I doubt there are any Dolphin fans who give a shit about the style points of the win.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:32 PM   #138
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
So the game does end 11-10.

So after Pittsburgh has 120ish yards in penalties they get a late TD mysteriously wiped out that had no other meaning but how it effected the betting line.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #139
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What happened?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:41 PM   #140
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
What happened?

I'm still not sure. The Chargers tried lateralling it around on the last play, and Pittsburgh S Troy Polamalu batted it down, scooped it up and ran it in for a TD. Time expired. The officials reviewed it. The official came on the field and said there was an illegal forward pitch (which Phil Simms repeatedly said he didn't see) but that the Steelers declined the penalty and took the TD. They lined up for the XP. The officials stopped play again and there was more confusion. The offical came out again and said something about the game ending with the result of the play. Just as the announcer was saying the 17-10 final looked completely normal, CBS flashed the 11-10 final on the screen and the announcers said they had wiped out the TD.

Last edited by timmynausea : 11-16-2008 at 06:42 PM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #141
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
dola- People may laugh at me, but Brandon Jacobs should start getting some serious MVP consideration.

10 games in, 11 TD, an 900 rushing yards, all the while sharing the load for a 9-1 team.

I'm laughing at you. There's no way the Giants still wouldn't be rolling if he suddenly tore an ACL. Not that he's had a bad year, but the fact that his backups are doing well shows the OL is their real engine.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #142
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I doubt there are any Dolphin fans who give a shit about the style points of the win.

Yeah. People were giving us credit for "looking good" against the Jets in the season opener. Then we get grief for playing like crap, but beating Seattle and Oakland. Sorry, but I'll take the latter.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #143
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
The Cardinals shouldn't just be squeeking by these inferior teams, esp. if they want to win a playoff game.
Jeez, this is a team that's 7-3 for the first time since Jimmy Carter was president. They're not going to beat everyone 35-10. They faced a somewhat healthy Seattle team, in a place they hadn't won at in 6 years and were up 26-7 in the fourth quarter. Seattle made a bit of a late run, but Arizona made plays at the end and held on for a nice road win.

Outside of the Giants, I can't think of an NFC team who hasn't squeaked by some inferior teams (esp on the road).
Old 11-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #144
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well my beloved Cards tried to give up a 19 point lead in the fourth quarter, but thankfully held on for the win. They have practically clinched the division-Seattle and St. Louis would need to win 5 of their last 6, San Fran 4 of their last 6 and the Cards to lose all their remaining games just to have a tie in the division.

Very very interesting game next week when the Giants come to the desert
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #145
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Guess I'm somewhat surprised to see that nobody's talking about the Cowboys - Redskins game. I've been flipping back and forth in the game, the 'Skins are up 7-0 right now, just under 9 left in the first half. Apparently the Redskins have intercepted Romo twice already.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #146
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Given this game so far, I'm waiting for a "Scooby Doo" moment where a Washington D-Lineman sacks Romo, picks him and pulls off his face to reveal Brad Johnson
Old 11-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #147
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Kind of funny seeing McNabb say he didn't know there were ties in the NFL, and being completely serious.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:59 PM   #148
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
WHY DO YOU SAY THINGS THAT YOU KNOW WILL HURT ME
Old 11-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #149
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
Kind of funny seeing McNabb say he didn't know there were ties in the NFL, and being completely serious.

AND Andy Reid not knowing what effect it has in the standings.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #150
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I hate posting about fantasy in the NFL thread, but that TD pass by Romo made it a tie for me, with the only players left being Romo for me, Campbell for my opponent. Drama.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote