Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2006, 01:28 AM   #101
Pyser
Pro Rookie

milledge looked good tonight. i made it out to the game last night and tonight...

i still dont know if he has the power to be an everyday of, but i dont think floyd will be back anytime soon, so i hope he grows quickly.

lots of met fans there in la today. was great to be surrounded by nyers. i miss that feeling.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:42 PM   #102
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
milledge looked good tonight. i made it out to the game last night and tonight...

i still dont know if he has the power to be an everyday of

Are you saying he doesn't have the power NOW to be an everyday OF, or he won't develop enough power?

Either way, I'm pretty sure I disagree completely. Tonight is his 9th game...and he has 2 HRs, 3 doubles, and a triple. He's slugging .714, and that's after his 1-11 start. His bat speed is great, and we've already seen him fight through some long ABs and drive the ball the other way. I don't see any reason why he can't be productive all season.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:25 AM   #103
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Are you saying he doesn't have the power NOW to be an everyday OF, or he won't develop enough power?

Either way, I'm pretty sure I disagree completely. Tonight is his 9th game...and he has 2 HRs, 3 doubles, and a triple. He's slugging .714, and that's after his 1-11 start. His bat speed is great, and we've already seen him fight through some long ABs and drive the ball the other way. I don't see any reason why he can't be productive all season.

I'm going to have to agree here. Although you could say it's been a small smaple, Milledge has def. displayed enough power to be a potent offense force. I'm just curious however, if Nady and Floyd come back soon, what do you do with Lastings?? IMO you cant sit Nady or Floyd, and Milledge would be better served back in the minors.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:02 AM   #104
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i dont think he has the power right now. in a few years, he'll look pretty good.

but id rather have our regular of's back in there soon.

in the meantime, he's looked solid filling in. untouchable prospect? dont know yet. but he isnt all hype, which is nice.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:42 AM   #105
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
i dont think he has the power right now. in a few years, he'll look pretty good.

but id rather have our regular of's back in there soon.

in the meantime, he's looked solid filling in. untouchable prospect? dont know yet. but he isnt all hype, which is nice.

Well, I don't think he's years away from being anything. Is he going to be a 40 HR hitter at any time? I doubt it, as he doesn't seem to have the frame for it. But then again neither does Soriano, and Milledge has bat speed that resembles his.

The reason I don't want to see Milledge go down now is that this is a perfect situation for a prospect to come up and play (especially an extremely-hyped one like Milledge). He's hitting in the 7th or 8th slot. He's got no pressure on him with all the big bats we have. If he goes through a slump, the lineup will survive. He's made a big enough impact already where if he does slump, the fans won't turn on him (unless it becomes a two month, hitting .180 type slump). Plus he has major league instructors working with him, and other great resources available to him that might not be in Norfolk. Not only that, but if he sits, you're going to throw him right into a starting spot next season. I would rather he get all the at bats he can so he's 100% ready in the spring.

So who goes? Floyd seems to be a clubhouse leader, and is a pending FA who won't have much value unless he turns it up. Don't think he's going anywhere. I really wouldn't mind seeing Nady dealt for a 2B or some pitching help. I think he's been too streaky, and he's not much of a fielder. Seems to do most of his damage with the bases empty. I don't know what his RISP average is, but I don't think it's good. That's not to say I want him out...I'd much rather Milledge take over LF now. But we would probably get more value from Floyd by letting him walk and taking the compensation.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:39 PM   #106
Pyser
Pro Rookie

even though milledge is in the 7th or 8th spot, a few nights ago, he was our 4th best hitter....delgado sat since a lefty was pitching, reyes is out, floyd and nady are out, and only beltran and wright lo duca were in the lineup.

well, anyway, i like the kid, but would i rather have soriano at 2nd....i dont know.......
Old 06-09-2006, 04:01 PM   #107
Pyser
Pro Rookie

dola....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KAZ MATSUI HEADED TO ROCKIES

By JOEL SHERMAN

June 9, 2006 -- Accepting now that Kaz Matsui was a failed and costly experiment, the Mets were on the brink of trading the infielder to the Rockies for utilityman Eli Marrero, The Post has learned.

The final hurdles to the deal involved the Rockies being able to remove their obligation to nuances in Matsui's contract such as eight round-trip business class plane tickets from Tokyo to New York and a $25,000 housing allowance. In addition, Matsui's contract states he cannot be optioned to the minors for anything other than an injury rehab, and Colorado wants to send him to Triple-A for a few weeks to help him get mentally straightened out.

The Mets already have agreed to pay the difference on what remains of Matsui's 2006 contract ($8 million) and that of Marrero ($750,000).

Marrero was hitting just .217 with four homers and 10 RBIs. However, he is a versatile player who has started at catcher, first base, left field and right field this season. Most important to the Mets is that he is not Matsui, whose Met career would end as an expensive, emotionally draining disappointment.

By investing three years at $20.1 million, the Mets had expected Kaz Matsui to be their answer to the Yanks' signing the previous year of Hideki Matsui. In Japan, Kaz Matsui had showed speed, power and durability in becoming an All-Star and Gold Glove. As a Met, he was brutal on defense at short to the point where he had to be moved to second base, and his offense - never very good - declined each season. Plus, belying his Iron Man rep, Matsui could not stay healthy as a Met.

Matsui recently lost his second base job and his average stood at .200 with one homer and seven RBIs. His mere presence every day spoke to the agonizing blunder in enlisting Matsui. The Mets actually pushed Jose Reyes to second base in 2004 to permit Matsui to stay at his natural shortstop.

The Rockies are willing to take this risk because their scouts had loved Matsui as a player in Japan, also valuing him at about the same level as Hideki Matsui. They are hoping outside of the stressful environment of New York that Kaz Matsui can regain some of those skills and help, particularly, as a lefty bat off the bench.

Marrero has played for the Cardinals, Braves, Orioles, Royals and Rockies. The Mets would represent his sixth team since 2003. He is a career .244 hitter with 64 homers. He was an extremely helpful piece for the division-winning Braves in 2004, when he hit .320 in 250 at-bats with 10 homers and 40 RBIs.

of course, in the same paper, in another article, it says the mets will release him outright. either way, good f'in riddance.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #108
JS19
College Prospect

About time.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #109
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Looks like the deal for Matsui is completed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2477398

NEW YORK -- The New York Mets traded slumping second baseman Kaz Matsui and $4.5 million to the Colorado Rockies for utilityman Eli Marrero on Friday.

The cash represents the remaining difference in the players' salaries, Met assistant general manager John Ricco said. The club had to get Matsui to waive a limited no-trade clause, Ricco said.

"We're looking at it as a chance to get a guy who adds flexibility for us," Ricco said before the Mets played the Arizona Diamondbacks in Phoenix. "By the same token it gives Kaz a chance to, with a change of scenery, maybe turn things around."
The Rockies optioned Matsui to Triple-A Colorado Springs and recalled outfielder Jorge Piedra. ... There's no timetable when Matsui will join the Rockies.

"We'll see if we can relax him and get him in the right frame of mind," O'Dowd said. "This guy was an impact, premium middle-of-the-diamond player. Now, whether we're getting that player or the player that struggled for two years in New York, we really don't know. It's a shot with a lot of upside for us and we thought very little downside. We'll see how it turns out."
Old 06-09-2006, 08:48 PM   #110
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Matsui gets out of New York, that makes him the winner in this deal.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:02 PM   #111
JS19
College Prospect

Someone should let the Phillies they had a game to play tonight.

On another note, its awesome to see a homegrown guy like Wright develop in to what looks to be a superstar. First time in my lifetime i'll be able to actually see someone come up through the ranks and make something of themselves with the Mets.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:18 PM   #112
Philliesfan980
Banned

God I hate the Phillies
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:29 PM   #113
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19
Someone should let the Phillies they had a game to play tonight.

On another note, its awesome to see a homegrown guy like Wright develop in to what looks to be a superstar. First time in my lifetime i'll be able to actually see someone come up through the ranks and make something of themselves with the Mets.

I can't believe he's at 13 HRs already. Seems like he was at 5 not too long ago.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #114
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
I can't believe he's at 13 HRs already. Seems like he was at 5 not too long ago.

I know what you mean, he seems to have just piled them all on at once. Also with Wright, and I'm obviously biased being a Mets fan and the fact that I watch the Mets a lot more than any other team, but between last yrs barehanded catch, diving in the stands, and the double play he made last night, those were probably 3 of the best plays I have ever seen. Not saying hes the greatest defensive 3B, he just seems to be able to produce that jaw dropping play every so often.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:46 PM   #115
JS19
College Prospect

Congrats to Mr. Reyes. He's on such a streak right now its unreal.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:36 PM   #116
Logan
Head Coach

His triple in the 5th really should've been an error. Kearns just missed it with his glove. At first, I thought "home field scoring" but then I realized that if that happened in Cincy, Kearns would've gotten the home field scoring that would've prevented an error.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:38 PM   #117
Pyser
Pro Rookie

bring back benitez!

oh, wait, no....FUCK!

Last edited by Pyser : 06-21-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:48 PM   #118
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
His triple in the 5th really should've been an error. Kearns just missed it with his glove. At first, I thought "home field scoring" but then I realized that if that happened in Cincy, Kearns would've gotten the home field scoring that would've prevented an error.

I agree, shoulda been an error but when all is said and done, it goes down as a cycle.

Mostly because i'm bored, not bc I think they should even make a move, but what would you like to see the Mets do? Obviously they have a solid team and it should more than likely bring them to the playoffs, but it def. can be better. You guys think they should ride it out with what they have, make some minor moves, or trade a Pelfrey/Milledge and really make this team a powerhouse?? I'm the kind of guy who loves when the team grooms their own players, and a future team that includes Reyes, Wright, Milledge and Pelfrey is amazing, so I would be inclined to make some minor moves, but then again i'm not the GM of a team in the biggest city trying to win a WS, so I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the 2 be moved at the deadline.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:02 PM   #119
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Holy Reyes!

4 for 5 for the 2nd straight game, and 3rd time in 5 days. he's been so hot for the last week he's raised his batting average nearly .60!

kid is a STUD.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:07 PM   #120
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Earlier this year, I thought he didn't have the OBP to be a lead off man, but he's stepped it up in a BIG way. He's still young and I'm sure the patience will come. He's hitting the stiching off the ball though!
Old 06-25-2006, 05:34 PM   #121
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Earlier this year, I thought he didn't have the OBP to be a lead off man, but he's stepped it up in a BIG way. He's still young and I'm sure the patience will come. He's hitting the stiching off the ball though!

Tom Verducci of SI wrote a great article last week about Reyes and his OBP.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...yes/index.html
Old 06-25-2006, 05:44 PM   #122
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I've read it and I think Verducci comes at it WAY to simply. Simply subtracting CS from SB doesn't work because a CS has far greater effect than a SB does. The effect of losing an out as well as a baserunner has far greater consequences at some points of a game than successfully stealing a base does (such as trying to steal second early on in the game). Not saying Reyes adds something with his baserunning, it just isn't as much as conventional baseball wisdom thinks.

For example, I believe Rickey Henderson's best year stealing (1982) he added a total of 1.5 runs to his team when you look at the run expectation tables and plug in his stolen bases (and how much the probability of scoring a run went up based on which base he was on, how many outs, and inning) and caught stealing (same except probablity going down).

OBP is far more important, and thankfully he's getting it up there.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #123
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
I've read it and I think Verducci comes at it WAY to simply. Simply subtracting CS from SB doesn't work because a CS has far greater effect than a SB does. The effect of losing an out as well as a baserunner has far greater consequences at some points of a game than successfully stealing a base does (such as trying to steal second early on in the game). Not saying Reyes adds something with his baserunning, it just isn't as much as conventional baseball wisdom thinks.

For example, I believe Rickey Henderson's best year stealing (1982) he added a total of 1.5 runs to his team when you look at the run expectation tables and plug in his stolen bases (and how much the probability of scoring a run went up based on which base he was on, how many outs, and inning) and caught stealing (same except probablity going down).

OBP is far more important, and thankfully he's getting it up there.

I understand what you're saying, and agree with it. I took more from the argument that it's not OBP that matters exclusively, but the percentage you actually score when you are on base. That's where Reyes shines. Obviously, the two are dependent on each other, since in order to score, you have to first reach successfully. I think the Reyes vs. Eckstein argument shows the main point. (Using stats off the top of my head) Would you rather reach base 40% of the time, and then score 37% of those times (Eckstein), or reach base 34% of the time, and score 52% of those times (Reyes)? Of course, these stats are also dependent on the guys behind you being able to bring you in.

To get the full effect of Reyes' value, you really just have to watch him play and appreciate what he brings to the table (and not just when he's torrid like he is now). I mean, if he's on 1st, and gets a good start with the pitch, the guy can score on a well placed single. Not many people can say that.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:30 PM   #124
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Earlier this year Reyes wasn't reaching base 34% of the time. He was reaching it more like 31% of the time (actually less in May, when his OBP was under .300). His early season was brutal in that respect. And, after all, OBP is the strongest link to scoring runs. Yes, Reyes can score a lot when getting on base, but he's got a wonderful lineup behind him. He has speed, but all the speed in the world can't make up for just not getting on base. Now he is getting on base, so its ok. But earlier in the year I was all in favor of moving him to 8th in the lineup. Well, maybe 7th, ahead of whoever was on 2nd.

And, interestingly enough, Reyes' CAUGHT stealing numbers are better in June, when he's on base more than in May or April. Probably because he can be more selective about when he runs.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:25 PM   #125
JS19
College Prospect

I must say I am very surprised to see Wright in the finals and doing this well. I really didn't expect him to do much in the derby, never really saw him as this kind of power hitter.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:27 PM   #126
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think since it started, I've been saying "Don't mess your swing up... don't mess your swing up".

I was thinking back to Abreu last year!!
Old 07-11-2006, 06:32 AM   #127
Ramzavail
College Starter

In my big money fantasy baseball team, I have Howard and Wright. I am doomed for the 2nd half.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:15 PM   #128
Captain2711
High School JV

What a block at the plate by LoDuca! Maine looks in great command. Hope he can get the shutout.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:18 PM   #129
JS19
College Prospect

THEY FINALLY SWEPT ATLANTA IN ATLANTA!!!!!!! I dont give a shit if the Braves do suck ass this yr, it's still a sweep.

On another note, Beltran is awesome.

I'm gonna be watching closely with this deadline coming up. Glavine hasn't been doing all that hot, I think this was his 7th straight start with a no decision, Pedro pitched well (besides that 1st inning) but he can be a bit iffy now with injuries. I wouldn't mind taking this team to the playoffs as is, but it's obvious they need a SP. Not just any though, my opinion is it would have to be a front line type of guy, such as a Zito or Willis who could step in and take control in case Glavine or Pedro faulter towards the end. No point of getting a back end type guy whos a hit or miss on any given start, they already have that with Maine and Pelfrey.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:17 PM   #130
Captain2711
High School JV

Duaner Sanchez is out for the year with a separated shoulder suffered in a cab accident in Florida Sunday night. I guess things were just going too well. I guess Torres or Roberto Hernandez will hopefully be on his way to Queens
Old 07-31-2006, 02:18 PM   #131
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Fuck... Sanchez was absolutely excellent .
Old 07-31-2006, 02:20 PM   #132
JS19
College Prospect

Wow, didnt know that. Guess that explains this Roberto Hernandez, Oliver Perez deal. I was wondering why they would get rid of Nady but I suppose you gotta fill Sanchez spot asap. Really sucks, I thought they would be adding Hernandez to go along with Heilman and Sanchez.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:25 PM   #133
Captain2711
High School JV

Milledge has been called up. Guess he's gonna play right regularly

Last edited by Captain2711 : 07-31-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Captain2711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:31 PM   #134
Captain2711
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain2711
Milledge has been called up. Guess he's gonna play right regularly

I take that back. Since the trade is not official, all other actions are just rumors. I'd still like Chavez to get a full time shot at it, although his value may be diminished in a full time role
Old 07-31-2006, 02:45 PM   #135
Pyser
Pro Rookie

things just went from very good in the mets world to very bad i feel.

not feeling good about this trade. id of rather stood pat.

the throw in in this deal just came off allowing 8 EARNED RUNS. he worked 1/3 of an innning.

oh yeah...IN TRIPLE A!
Old 07-31-2006, 02:46 PM   #136
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
I take that back. Since the trade is not official, all other actions are just rumors. I'd still like Chavez to get a full time shot at it, although his value may be diminished in a full time role

Yea I think I would rather give Milledge some more experience in the majors, Endy has just been too valuable coming off the bench and spot starting to throw him in to a full time role, IMO.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:50 PM   #137
Captain2711
High School JV

Rumor going around that Perez can be then traded with Heath Bell for Linebrink. I think that would be a good trade. Perez has upside, but hasn't shown it in 2 years. Bell has pitched well enough to get some value for him
Old 07-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #138
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ugh... not real happy about losing Nady... especially for what was gotten in return.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #139
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Rumor going around that Perez can be then traded with Heath Bell for Linebrink. I think that would be a good trade. Perez has upside, but hasn't shown it in 2 years. Bell has pitched well enough to get some value for him

Now if that were to happen, that'd make this deal much better in my eyes.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:52 PM   #140
Logan
Head Coach

Well the Linebrink deal obviously never materialized, even though a few places reported it as done.

The move for Hernandez was something that had to happen once Sanchez got hurt. But the injury really messed up the day. My guess is that, prior to today, they were planning on getting both Hernandez and Linebrink for the bullpen, and shipping Heilman out for a starter.

Goodbye and good riddance to Xavier Nady. Talk about overrated. I can recall about 3 big hits he's had this season, one of which was obviously the big 3-run HR vs. Florida a few weeks ago. His numbers with RISP and with runners on and less than 2 outs were dreadful.

Overall, the Mets are a little worse than they were when they began the day (or, I should say, than they were as of about 1 AM last night). It's going to be even more important for the bullpen to get some rest throughout the remainder of the regular season, so a guy like Hernandez can be fresh and effective in the postseason. Heilman needs to step up, and that scares the hell out of me.

Edit to add: Obviously, the most important thing throughout all this is that Sanchez' accident wasn't more serious.

Last edited by Logan : 07-31-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:15 PM   #141
Logan
Head Coach

Mets and Reyes agreed to a new contract today, meaning he won't be earning a couple hundred grand for the next 2 years, but he's sacrificing a couple years of free agency. 4 years, $22 million, with a club option for a 5th. Steal for the Mets.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #142
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe BlowBerto still pitches. And Perez was a #1 type starter 2 years ago, he may not go back to that form again. But he may. Pirates fans were very pissed about the deal.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 07:23 PM   #143
JS19
College Prospect

Wright signed a 6 yr 55M extension w/an option for a 7th yr. Another steal if you ask me. Good to know both him and Reyes are locked up now, hopefully Milledge and Pelfrey materialize in to solid players and the future will be looking pretty bright.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:50 PM   #144
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19
Wright signed a 6 yr 55M extension w/an option for a 7th yr. Another steal if you ask me. Good to know both him and Reyes are locked up now, hopefully Milledge and Pelfrey materialize in to solid players and the future will be looking pretty bright.

Beautiful. And he's only coming in at $1 million next year, and $5 million in 2008, giving more payroll flexibility over the next couple years.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #145
Captain2711
High School JV

I like to gamble as much as the next guy, but you would think LoDuca would avoid going to the track on the day the story breaks about how he has a huge gambling problem.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #146
JS19
College Prospect

I wanna know what the "undisclosed amount" was he made betting on Giacomo, a 50-1 shot. Figure with the amount of money this guys got he had to be a small fortune.

I say more power to the guy, as long as he keeps hitting .320 in the number 2 spot then let him go do his thing.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #147
Logan
Head Coach

We're fucked.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2555246
Old 08-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #148
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:

Well, as I like to say, we had a good run.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:47 PM   #149
Logan
Head Coach

From the cnnsi.com article:

"We believe that Tommy hopefully will be OK," Minaya said before the Mets played Colorado.

Have fun with that pretzel.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:18 AM   #150
Captain2711
High School JV

From the NYPost

August 22, 2006 -- Tom Glavine will be taking the mound again.
A source told The Post last night that the Mets' All-Star left-hander - feared done for the season, maybe even for his career with a possible blood clot in his pitching shoulder - underwent an angiogram yesterday and will not require surgery.

The source said Glavine could be pitching sometime next week.

Glavine, whom the source said is expected to be treated with medication, had been feeling a coldness in his left ring finger. The southpaw said on Sunday that if he needed surgery, he might not be on a mound again in 2006. If there were no operation, he said, he might be able to return quickly.

The source did not specify the cause of Glavine's problem.

Glavine's news indicates that the Mets could possibly have both him and Pedro Martinez slotted into the rotation next week. Martinez is on the DL with a strained right calf but is eligible to come off next Wednesday.

Sunday, Glavine addressed his situation, saying "everything feels great."

"Basically, what they are telling them is that there is something in my artery that concerns them. At this time, we don't know exactly what it is and we are not going to know until I get the angiogram done. Once that's done, we will have a much clearer understanding of what is going on," Glavine said.

Added the pitcher, "For me, personally, you get scared. You start worrying about the rest of your career and if there is going to be one."

Glavine's agent, Gregg Clifton, declined to comment on the news about Glavine's health last night.

Glavine is tied for the Mets' team lead in wins this season with 12, but maybe more significantly, he also has started more games that the Mets have won than any other pitcher on the team. The Mets are 19-7 in Glavine's 26 starts.

Steve Trachsel is tied with Glavine with 12 wins, but not only does he have a worse ERA but the team is a little worse percentage-wise in Trachsel's starts (17-7 in his 24 games). As for Pedro Martinez, the Mets are 11-9 in their ace's 20 starts this season. They're 9-6 with Orlando Hernandez on the mound.

With Glavine potentially on the hill for the Mets next week, the importance of a replacement is obviously not as integral. That being said, two Met minor-league starters - Oliver Perez and Brian Bannister - had strong outings this past weekend for Triple-A Norfolk against Charlotte.

On Friday, Perez permitted only one hit over seven shutout innings (he walked two and struck out 11), and Charlotte manager Razor Shines said yesterday that the former Pirate left-hander "could have easily no-hit our ballclub."

"Threw the ball in and out. We didn't know he could command like he did. He commanded the ball well," Shines told The Post yesterday.

Bannister, who faced Charlotte on Sunday, gave up one run on six hits in six innings. He struck out five.

"He did a better job at keeping us off balance. It wasn't his velocity [Sunday] night. It was more his command," Shines said.

Last edited by Captain2711 : 08-22-2006 at 07:23 AM.
Captain2711 is offline   Reply With Quote