Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2006, 09:22 PM   #101
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Yeah! No Child Left Behind has been grossly underfunded! Good job Kaine... and slashing student loans as well. Good points!

Ah, yes, must be the libertarian response.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:22 PM   #102
SFL Cat
College Starter

Well, they say his star was rising in the Democratic Party....maybe not so much after tonight.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 01-31-2006 at 09:23 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:22 PM   #103
Easy Mac

This guys SOTU rundown here.

(since i vote democrat, read at your own risk, its also, unedited, so there are spelling mistakes, but i think its readable)
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:22 PM   #104
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
Well, they say his star was rising....maybe not so much after tonight.
His left eyebrow is playing the part of the star.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:22 PM   #105
vtbub
College Starter

He makes Al Gore sound like Bill Clinton.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:23 PM   #106
biological warrior
High School Varsity

I dont know about the inadequate body armor part. When I went to OEF we got em, and EVERYONE who crosses the Line has a kevlar vest.
biological warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:24 PM   #107
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biological warrior
The President was on the offensive tonite. He was firing on all cylinders. He really emphasized that we are a Nation at War (mostly forgotten by many americans) and we need to win:
Before history is written down in books, it is written in courage. Like Americans before us, we will show that courage and we will finish well. We will lead freedom’s advance. We will compete and excel in the global economy. We will renew the defining moral commitments of this land. And so we move forward – optimistic about our country, faithful to its cause, and confident of victories to come. Thank you, God bless you, and may God bless America.

Yes, right from a Michael Douglas movie. I don't know why you are the speech's nuts so much, it's just a speech and most of what he promises (like so many others) will go unfulfilled. In 8 years, we'll be hearing another state of the union promising affordable prescription drugs for elderly, medicare reform, social security reform, and all the other stuff.

A few years ago he promised to increase the NIH budget by a nice sum. The new budget, adjusted for inflation and the money earmarked for bioterrorism research, is actually quite a nice reduction. Blah.
miked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:24 PM   #108
vtbub
College Starter

Memo to Gov. Kaine. This is being seen outside of Virginia.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:24 PM   #109
SackAttack
Head Coach

I think the eyebrow is the sane part of him trying to escape.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:24 PM   #110
Celeval
Pro Starter

Would there perhaps be a better way?

There's a better way.</ObligatoryWestWingMoment>

Last edited by Celeval : 01-31-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:25 PM   #111
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

They should have put Governor Warner or Senator Obama up there... but at least Kaine is making some good points... unfortunetly his charisma is just not there
Old 01-31-2006, 09:26 PM   #112
Easy Mac

Do ya smell what Kaine is cookin!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:27 PM   #113
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Religious language in there... trying not to turn off the religious right?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:27 PM   #114
SackAttack
Head Coach

If the Democrats sweep this guy under the rug, would that be the Kaine Mutiny?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:27 PM   #115
SFL Cat
College Starter

It don't smell too good, whatever it is.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:28 PM   #116
Schmidty
Coordinator

What are you guys talking about? This guy's great!!!!

I put my daughter down for the night with the TV on in the background, and she fell asleep in .27 seconds. I need to record this.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:29 PM   #117
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Religious language in there... trying not to turn off the religious right?

He had a Pat Robertson moment.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:32 PM   #118
biological warrior
High School Varsity

Quote:
They should have put Governor Warner or Senator Obama up there... but at least Kaine is making some good points... unfortunetly his charisma is just not there
Definately. He may have had good points but I was lost in the uneveness of his eyebrows.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:33 PM   #119
Easy Mac

Scrubs is on!!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:42 PM   #120
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Scrubs is on!!!!

It's a repeat.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:58 PM   #121
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd completely disagree with that from the things I've seen.

You in medicine?

As for what EF said, it's mostly truly. You got doctors working insane hours, on little sleep with patients who can be ungrateful for services, and regular joes like us who think we know what should be done, instead of letting professionals do it. Medicine is not a "safe-proof" practice.

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-31-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:00 PM   #122
biological warrior
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
You in medicine?

As for what EF said, it's mostly truly. You got doctors working insane hours, on little sleep with patients who can be ungrateful for services. Medicine is not a "safe-proof" practice.
Nurses have it worse than doctors too. God Bless the aging nursing population. Seldom do I see a 20 something nurse. I see alot of older 40 something nurses worn down by the abuse and work overload they have to put up with.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:01 PM   #123
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Nurses have it worse than doctors too. God Bless the aging nursing population. Seldom do I see a 20 something nurse. I see alot of older 40 something nurses worn down by the abuse and work overload they have to put up with.

Can't disagree with that. Nursing is in such demand right now. The state of the medicaid/medicare is not helping doctors as well.

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-31-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:03 PM   #124
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I absolutely agree with that. I'm blessed to be working with a GREAT nurse at my current clinic job, and it makes life so much easier. They bear a great deal of the burden of the healthcare system.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:04 PM   #125
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The state of the medicaid/medicare is not helping doctors as well.

No kidding. With some of the cuts to reimbursements, I might have a tough choice to make in the near future.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:06 PM   #126
Easy Mac

Quote:
You in medicine?
That's completely unimportant. That's like asking if you are in the legal profession so that you can critcize it.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:07 PM   #127
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

I hardly heard a word Kaine said... and it's funny because people were warning about his evil eyebrow over a week ago

Quote:

America, prepare to be creeped out by "The Eyebrow."

Read on for more...including a photo!
Print This Story
Jan 19th, 2006: 15:07:47
Kaine is the flavor of the month due to his recent victory in the Virginia gubernatorial race. Of course, he achieved victory by saying, largely, that he doesn't agree with Democratic policies (namely on abortion and capital punishment), but that he'd ignore his supposedly deeply-held beliefs and govern like a Democrat.

In other words, no one knows what Kaine stands for, because he doesn't stand for anything. But he's the new Democratic governor in a red state, so the Democrats think he can be an example for them. More power to them.

When you watch Kaine's response, however, be aware that you absolutely will not be able to concentrate on what he is saying. Why? Because of this:

Check out his eyebrow. It has a mind of it's own, moving up and down as if Kaine can't control it. It's the creepiest thing you'll ever see.

And I'm sure that's the only interesting item that will emerge from this Democratic response. But at least it gives us a reason to watch the speech. Otherwise, I can't imagine wasting the time when I'm sure there will be an exciting re-run of the 2001 World Series of Poker airing on ESPN6 at the same time.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:08 PM   #128
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
No kidding. With some of the cuts to reimbursements, I might have a tough choice to make in the near future.

Isn't the quality of incoming students into med schools much lower due to "repressed" salaries (due to government programs, immigration, and high insurance costs), threat of lawsuits, skyrocketing costs of med schools, insurance costs, and high workload? I'm concern about our situation in 10-20 years.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:11 PM   #129
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
That's completely unimportant. That's like asking if you are in the legal profession so that you can critcize it.

Of course it is. We do not have the experience or understanding of being on the other side in such a highly-intense, and complex, field. Unless your a patient who receives a lot of treatment by doctors, medicine, hospitals, then your just going by what you hear.

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-31-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:28 PM   #130
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Isn't the quality of incoming students into med schools much lower due to "repressed" salaries (due to government programs, immigration, and high insurance costs), threat of lawsuits, skyrocketing costs of med schools, insurance costs, and high workload? I'm concern about our situation in 10-20 years.

Medical School is still VERY competitive to get into (about 4% of applicants were accepted at the school where I work.) However, I think that work satisfaction is lower in the past 10-20 years. As far as the quality of students we accept (and residents) it fluctuates year to year. Some years, the school makes good choices, and some years you get a relatively weak class.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:06 PM   #131
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
You weren't just doing that, you said "I'd completely disagree with that from the things I've seen."

So what are these things you've seen that would make you completety disagree with ef27 saying many of the lawsuits are frivolous? Just a few anecdotal examples? A family member or friend once had to sue for malpractice, and thus most or close to all lawsuits are not frivolous?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:28 PM   #132
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Some random thoughts as I just finished the replay on C-SPAN:
* Seemed very devoid of specific content- usually there's some specific plan to kick off the year. Is he that worried about his lack of clout right now? I've noticed that when Presidents don't lay out specifics, they don't follow through at all.
* Nearly half of the speech was about "the war on terror". I used to beg for SotU speeches that spent half the time on foreign policy but this was just ridiculous. Guess you play to your strong points.
* I notice the illegal wiretapping got the exciting nickname of "terrorist surveillance program"
* I like the first part of his domestic speech- we really do need some reform in social security, medicare, medicaid. I also would like to see medical liability reform. I'm a little worried about the lack of specifics (see above), but hopefully he can get these done. And hopefully better than the perscription plan.
* He said "nucular"
* Him talking about ending the oil addiction just seemed like Michael Jackson talking about child care reform or something
* Kaine was just not a good choice for rebuttal
* The C-SPAN callers, um, suck

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:32 PM   #133
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, put up a poll (since I couldn't add one here)

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=46782

SI

Old 02-01-2006, 12:12 AM   #134
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
* I like the first part of his domestic speech- we really do need some reform in social security, medicare, medicaid. I also would like to see medical liability reform. I'm a little worried about the lack of specifics (see above), but hopefully he can get these done. And hopefully better than the perscription plan.
What 'reform' do you think needs to be done? I think some things need to be changed, but not the things Bush wants to do...
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:25 AM   #135
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Social Security needs the age pushed back, commesurate with how people are living longer. And not gradually moved back in 25 years to 68. I mean in the next 5 years and 70 or even 72-75. And that's even with my parents about to hit that age.

Medicaid and Medicare. Man, that's such a mess I don't know where to start. And that's coming from someone who *likes* the idea of Canada or Scandanavian-style socialized medicine.

Lastly, medical liability needs to be scaled back for individual doctors. For corporations, that's a bit fuzzier of a topic. And pharmaceutical companies, fuzzier still.

SI

Old 02-01-2006, 03:17 AM   #136
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I was a bit shocked to see him do a 180 and embrace an energy policy espoused by Al Gore and John Kerry. Didn't Bush campaign on the idea that this would cripple our economy and cost jobs?
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:41 AM   #137
wade moore
lolzcat

For those of you laughing out how Tim Kaine talks....

You should have heard the other option for us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:47 AM   #138
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Social Security needs the age pushed back, commesurate with how people are living longer. And not gradually moved back in 25 years to 68. I mean in the next 5 years and 70 or even 72-75. And that's even with my parents about to hit that age.

According to my latest retirement analysis, I'm not going to have enough money to retire even at 72-75. They could push it back to 90 for all I care.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:48 AM   #139
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
For those of you laughing out how Tim Kaine talks....

You should have heard the other option for us...

Yeah, except Bin Laden couldn't get a visa.

(Joke. It's a joke. )
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:20 AM   #140
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Medicaid and Medicare. Man, that's such a mess I don't know where to start. And that's coming from someone who *likes* the idea of Canada or Scandanavian-style socialized medicine.

Lastly, medical liability needs to be scaled back for individual doctors. For corporations, that's a bit fuzzier of a topic. And pharmaceutical companies, fuzzier still.

SI

One idea that interests me is something they have set-up in Sweden in terms of malpractice lawsuits. Instead of going through the courts with a jury of common people, go to a special system that consists of a jury of medically-trained experts. No caps on the rewards, but I think it would be interesting concept.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:20 AM   #141
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

This seems so obviously true to me, as well. Even pushing back the retirement age 1 year would radically alter the financial outlook for social security, but it's an option that nobody is willing to consider.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:24 AM   #142
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
One idea that interests me is something they have set-up in Sweden in terms of malpractice lawsuits. Instead of going through the courts with a jury of common people, go to a special system that consists of a jury of medically-trained experts. No caps on the rewards, but I think it would be interesting concept.

This had been discussed before on the board. I like the idea--not only because qualified experts are at the heart of the system, but also because it has potential for cutting costs without a drop-off in victim's compensation. Some estimate that while settlements will be lower, victims actually net out the same or better, since legal expenses never come into the equation.

Others have pointed out that mandating a system like this is probably unconstitutional--so perhaps the best that can be hoped for is to have a dual system (expert panel-litigation) in which potential litigants are strongly encouraged to go through this system first, before attempting redress via the legal system.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:09 PM   #143
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Having to work longer is great for some people, but there are a lot of people out there that have jobs that make it impossible to work into their seventies, manual labor jobs for example.

Taxes as a percent of GDP are 3 or 4 percent lower than they were during the economic boom of the '90's. If taxes were raised back to prior levels, Medicare, Medicaid, and SS could all be adequately funded.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #144
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
Having to work longer is great for some people, but there are a lot of people out there that have jobs that make it impossible to work into their seventies, manual labor jobs for example.

Taxes as a percent of GDP are 3 or 4 percent lower than they were during the economic boom of the '90's. If taxes were raised back to prior levels, Medicare, Medicaid, and SS could all be adequately funded.

Raising taxes is just a short-term band-aid, not a long-term solution. A drastic reform both in all programs, as well as the budget, is the solution. As for Medicare, Medicaid, and SS, they could be adequately funded now, but what happens when more Boomers request the need for assistant from the Medicare, Medicaid, and SS at the highest peak of that usage. Medicare and Medicaid costs are only going to go up, and will go up high, with the Boomers getting on board (and add in the health problems they may occur, may not be pretty).

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-01-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #145
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Raising taxes is just a short-term band-aid, not a long-term solution. A drastic reform both in all programs, as well as the budget, is the solution. As for Medicare, Medicaid, and SS, they could be adequately funded now, but what happens when more Boomers request the need for assistant from the Medicare, Medicaid, and SS at the highest peak of that usage. Medicare and Medicaid costs are only going to go up, and will go up high, with the Boomers getting on board (and add in the health problems they may occur, may not be pretty).
Putting taxes at the level they were in the late '90's would fund the programs into the infinite horizon, according to CBO budget calculations. That's not to say that the programs couldn't use some tweaks, but it's not an insurmountable problem that would ruin life as we know it. The best thing to do for Medicare/Medicaid would be to go to a nationalized system. That would control costs overall and based on all the evidence would lead to better health outcomes.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #146
Galaxy
Coordinator

Did Sheehan get released? Also, why did they allow her in? You have to know she would do something.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:45 PM   #147
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

BTW.. did anyone get a kick out of folks standing up and cheering after President Bush said.. "Last year, Congress did NOT pass my plan for Social Security reform.." (intending to shame them with a naughty naughty..

instead folks cheered that they had stopped him. sounded like some Repubs too
Old 02-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #148
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
BTW.. did anyone get a kick out of folks standing up and cheering after President Bush said.. "Last year, Congress did NOT pass my plan for Social Security reform.." (intending to shame them with a naughty naughty..

I recall the same thing happening a couple SOTU's ago when Bush got an unintentional cheer when he said "The patriot act still hasn't been renewed..." or something along those lines...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #149
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie

And there were some boos and hisses when he mentioned something about needing to renew or make permanent the Patriot Act. Unfortunately, not enough spines in that room to do the right thing and kick that piece of trash to the curb.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #150
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Did Sheehan get released? Also, why did they allow her in? You have to know she would do something.
Yeah, she got released:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11120353/

Quote:
But Capitol Police will ask the U.S. attorney's office to drop the charges, NBC News’ Mike Viqueira reported Wednesday.

“We screwed up,” a top Capitol Police official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

He said Sheehan didn't violate any rules or laws.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-01-2006 at 05:57 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote