Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2004, 09:16 PM   #101
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Bad free kick.

Statesboro ball at the Tucker 49 with 47 seconds left.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 09:16 PM   #102
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

14 yard completion clock running
Old 11-19-2004, 09:17 PM   #103
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
run that clock... run that clock...
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 09:17 PM   #104
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

incomplete pass

30 seconds left - 2nd down at the 35
Old 11-19-2004, 09:17 PM   #105
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

5 yard completion - clock running
Old 11-19-2004, 09:18 PM   #106
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

first down kicking team running on the field
Old 11-19-2004, 09:18 PM   #107
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

34 yard attempt
Old 11-19-2004, 09:18 PM   #108
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

NO
Old 11-19-2004, 09:18 PM   #109
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Bullshit
Old 11-19-2004, 09:19 PM   #110
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
anybody know anything about their kicker? Can he hit from outside 40 yards?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 09:19 PM   #111
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Total bullshit
Old 11-19-2004, 09:20 PM   #112
Buccaneer
Head Coach

?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 09:20 PM   #113
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I gather the kick was good
Old 11-19-2004, 09:20 PM   #114
digamma
Torchbearer

they don't think they snapped the ball in time.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 09:21 PM   #115
digamma
Torchbearer

but yes the kick was good.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:21 PM   #116
primelord
Pro Rookie

Did they run a fake or something?
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 09:21 PM   #117
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Did it get off, VPI?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 09:21 PM   #118
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Instead of spking the ball, Statesboro threw an out pass with less than 10 seconds left...the receiver didn't make it to the sideline, but he got the first so the clock stopped for the chains with 3 seconds left.

They got lined up in time, but didn't it didn't look like they got the snap off in time.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:21 PM   #119
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Replay shows that they got the snap off with 0.3 seconds left on the clock. Damn.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:23 PM   #120
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

The broadcast is showing Ben consoling a crying player on the field
Old 11-19-2004, 09:28 PM   #121
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not to get too serious here but ...

Bucc - no, I don't believe you have to worry about literal riots (although I've seen some close calls in other places with basketball games), but the depression can be very real. It can be like a ... cloud that descends & hangs over a team, a school, a town. But it does lift over time. And given all they've been through, I'd say they'll prove quite resillient.

edit: Umm, either I've started hallucinating or Bucc posted something & then deleted it.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-19-2004 at 09:30 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 09:30 PM   #122
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Resillient is good because that builds character. Having a positive attitude, as I am learning, can also be good, I think.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:32 PM   #123
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Jon, someone a few minutes ago mentioned riots (but then deleted it) so I was just responding to that.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:33 PM   #124
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man, sounds like the free kick did them in.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 09:34 PM   #125
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

That was me and I didn't mean to imply that that was happening. Just hearing the play-by-play guys yelling that the clock had ran out.. well that was my first reaction given the state's love for HS football.

Then I got to thinking that it might not have been the best thing to post.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:37 PM   #126
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Man, sounds like the free kick did them in.
I don't know if anyone can fault the coach for his decision...a punt would have likely given Statesboro the ball around the same area...plus it seemed like there was a high risk of being blocked...something Stateboro has a history of and they got to one earlier.

It was just a bad free kick...

Last edited by VPI97 : 11-19-2004 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:38 PM   #127
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like it would be nearly impossible to get a kicking team out on the field and get a snap off in time with the limited amount of clock left. Were the refs slow on the chains?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:40 PM   #128
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
I don't know if anyone can fault the coach for his decision...a punt would have likely given Statesboro the ball around the same area...plus it seemed like there was a high risk of being blocked...something Stateboro has a history of and they got to one earlier.

It was just a bad free kick...

No, the Call for taking the safety and running a free kick is a pretty good strategy. But it sounds like the bad bad free kick made it really hard for the team to win.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:40 PM   #129
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Sounds like it would be nearly impossible to get a kicking team out on the field and get a snap off in time with the limited amount of clock left. Were the refs slow on the chains?
You got to remember that the clock stops on a first down to move the chains. That's what was so remarkable. I thought they would spike it, but they threw a 2 yard out when they needed 6 yards. The receiver was hit right went he caught it, but forced his way through three Tucker defenders to gain 10 extra yards.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:41 PM   #130
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Catch 22 -- It's always tough to give away points, but given the earlier punt snap/punt block worries, it's probably the call to make. The defense was wearing down, 'Boro had shown an ability to throw medium to deep, the field position was about the same & they had plenty of time to work with. Sometimes, things are just going to end the way they're going to end.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:42 PM   #131
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

They had the kicking team lined up with plenty of time, but for whatever reason, the center paused before snapping it. I was sure that he didn't get it off in time, but Tucker's field has 'tenth of a second' timing, so the replay verified that he got it off in time.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:44 PM   #132
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
No, the Call for taking the safety and running a free kick is a pretty good strategy. But it sounds like the bad bad free kick made it really hard for the team to win.
Yeah....after the kick and return, they showed the kicker on the sidelines and you could tell that he knew he just choked.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:48 PM   #133
digamma
Torchbearer

The place kicker is much better than the punter. The Tucker defense had also been on the field most of the second half, so every piece of yardage was critical.

The execution on the free kick was bad. He's got a tremendous leg and it didn't show there.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:53 PM   #134
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

On a side note - CSS's coverage of high school games is great. Multiple cameras, replay, very good announcers (guys from sports radio). I had watched a couple of their 'games of the week' earlier in the year (a McEachern game - my local high school - and a Tucker game) and every time I've been impressed.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:31 PM   #135
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

DAMN DAMN DAMN
Old 11-19-2004, 10:45 PM   #136
Ben E Lou

I can't fault Ballard for taking the safety. Everyone on the sidelines, and the "coaches in the stands" were in agreement, with only a very short time to make the decision. They'd come *very* close to blocking two punts already. Also, Brad normally puts his kickoffs from the 40 near or beyond the goal line, and has even put a few through the end zone so you'd expect the free kick to be taken somewhere between the 10 and the 25.

In retrospect, maybe you make 'em try to get 6, but the chances of a blocked punt just seemed too high.

Those kids left EVERYTHING on the field tonight. Wow.

We should be poised for another fairly deep run in the playoffs next year as well. The starting backfield of QB DeWayne Harris, RB Asher Allen, and FB Myke Compton will be as deadly as any in the state. We've got some decent linemen returning as well, including one that I'm guessing will be a D-1 prospect, Jotis Head. See ya next year for another episode of the cardiac kids, the Tucker Tigers.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:05 AM   #137
tucker342
Pro Starter

That sucks! What a tough way to lose.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 06:41 AM   #138
Ben E Lou

[ The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: 11/20/04 ]

Tucker is cruelly dismissed once again

On a Friday night ideally suited for football -- cool temperatures, light drizzle, muddy field -- Tucker's place next week inside the artificial but significant elements of the Georgia Dome was taken away in the most improbable, dramatic and gut-wrenching fashion imaginable.

Trust me, you have not seen anything like Friday night at Adams Stadium.

So devastating was Statesboro's 15-14 victory in the final nanoseconds of the AAAA quarterfinal Friday night that some Tucker players lay for several minutes on the field afterward in disbelief, and the large Tigers fan base on hand stood around wondering if they were all experiencing the same bad dream.

The significance of the outcome and the history between the two schools lent a cutting edge to the occasion, a vexing shadow over the outcome.

Twice in the previous four years, Statesboro ended Tucker's season with overtime victories. Last year at the Dome -- when the Tigers committed five turnovers -- was perhaps the most cruel.

Until Friday night.

The Tigers waited nearly a year for a chance to requite the devastating defeat, and they looked to have done just that when they held Statesboro on fourth and goal from the 1 with just 1:19 to play.

But so much happened in those final 79 seconds that needs recapping. For starters, Statesboro coach Steve Pennington was keen in managing the clock from the defensive side. With possession just inside the goal line, Tucker, ahead 14-10, could do nothing but run consecutive quarterback sneaks to get some working space. Each play was followed by the Blue Devils quickly calling timeout.

On third down, a sweep went for naught, and Tucker coach Bill Ballard made the prudent but tough decision to take a safety. It would have helped if quarterback Dwayne Harris, a true star in the making, had killed more time by taking the snap and running to the corner of the end zone, but he instead dashed straight out of the end zone. Those turned out to be valuable ticks of the clock.

So, with the score 14-12 now, Tucker squib-kicked to Statesboro, which had no timeouts and less than 50 seconds to get in field-goal range from near midfield.

Quarterback David Cone made a couple of completions, including a pass in the flat to Kennell Thompson, who dragged two Tucker defenders with him up the sideline to the 17-yard line. He was taken down inbounds. But because he made a first down, the clock was stopped with 3.3 seconds left to move the chains.

Statesboro hurried its field-goal unit onto the field. The Tucker crew screamed for the clock to start. The Blue Devils fans pleaded for execution.

The teams lined up, the clock started and the Statesboro holder implored the center to snap the ball. He took a second to do so but finally made an accurate snap. Zach Sanders stepped into the ball and connected. Almost instantly, the final horn sounded.

Seemingly in slow motion, the ball barely cleared the upright. The officials emphatically thrust their arms into the air, indicating the kick was good. The Tucker side was stunned as it again had its championship aspirations crushed by Statesboro at the last possible second.

Meanwhile, the Blue Devils celebrated wildly on the field, understanding it had achieved a most unlikely victory when it looked so close to defeat.

They say whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. If so, Tucker will be back next year, even more resolute than ever. But it'll be an even longer year than last for the Tigers, again so cruelly dismissed for the season by most opportunistic Statesboro, which gets to play Salem in the comfy Dome next weekend.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:48 AM   #139
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
On a side note - CSS's coverage of high school games is great. Multiple cameras, replay, very good announcers (guys from sports radio). I had watched a couple of their 'games of the week' earlier in the year (a McEachern game - my local high school - and a Tucker game) and every time I've been impressed.

I'll just echo this sentiment. I watched this game and also watched a couple other late finishing ones(when I got home from a game I went to), and they always are very well done. They have multiple cameras, use them well, and I really like the announcers. Real tough loss for Tucker, the joy of the 4th down stop, then the despair of a last-second field goal. The only good thing was I got to see Skydog .

Last edited by wbatl1 : 11-20-2004 at 07:48 AM.
wbatl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 09:22 AM   #140
Buzzbee
College Starter

Tough pill, SkyDog. Tough pill.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:12 AM   #141
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC
It would have helped if quarterback Dwayne Harris, a true star in the making, had killed more time by taking the snap and running to the corner of the end zone, but he instead dashed straight out of the end zone. Those turned out to be valuable ticks of the clock.

Are you kidding me? Laying it on the QB's shoulders? Chances are he had never been in a situation like that (having to run out of the endzone). Maybe a coach should have told him to run to the corner, no? And I'm sure if more time was run off the clock, say 4 seconds, that the final fifty seconds would have been played out exactly the same and Statesboro would've snapped the ball 3.7 seconds too late. Dare I say, puh-leeeez?
Old 11-20-2004, 10:29 AM   #142
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
[/font]

Are you kidding me? Laying it on the QB's shoulders? Chances are he had never been in a situation like that (having to run out of the endzone). Maybe a coach should have told him to run to the corner, no? And I'm sure if more time was run off the clock, say 4 seconds, that the final fifty seconds would have been played out exactly the same and Statesboro would've snapped the ball 3.7 seconds too late. Dare I say, puh-leeeez?
I have a feeling that I know what happened, although I haven't talked to DeWayne. (He was too distraught to talk to anyone last night. He went off by himself way behind the end zone after the game ended.) From where I was standing, I could hear the coaches' discussion. They wanted DeWayne to run around in the end zone until Statesboro got near him, then run out of the back of the end zone. I'm assuming, therefore, that it is exactly what Ballard went out there and told him to do. (If they weren't going to have him run around and kill time, they would have just lined up in the shotgun and had Will snap the ball straight as far as he could beyond the end zone.) However, keep in mind that DeWayne *almost* tripped and fell when he came out from under center. I'm guessing that when that happened, it freaked him out, and he just got out of the end zone so he wouldn't fall down again, not having time to think that once he got to the end zone, even if he did trip, it is still only a safety. The bottom line is that it wasn't a play that he had ever practiced before.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:31 AM   #143
Ben E Lou

Oh, and by the way, the AJC writers are known for making some pretty heinous mistakes. What I posted there was from a columnist. The actual article about the game says that Tucker took a safety on 2nd down. Anyone who read the article only and not the column is thinking that Ballard is a Grade-A idiot for not running two more sneaks.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:34 AM   #144
Ben E Lou

Here's the article:

'I don't know what happened'
Tucker coach, team stunned as Statesboro wins 15-14

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 11/20/04

Zach Sanders kicked a 34-yard field goal barely over the uprights as time expired to lift Statesboro to a 15-14 win over Tucker in the Class AAAA quarterfinals on Friday.
The ending of the game was so bizarre, and such a drastic turnaround of events within the final minute of regulation, that coaches for both teams struggled to comprehend what exactly had transpired.

CLASS AAAA: STATESBORO 15, TUCKER 14
Statesboro 0 10 0 5 — 15
Tucker 0 7 7 0 — 14 S - Nick Wedlow 6 run (Zach Sanders kick)
T - Brandyn Young 3 run (Brad Daniel kick)
S - FG Sanders 22
T - Dwayne Harris 1 (Daniel kick)
S - Safety. Tucker's Harris runs out of end zone.
S - FG Sanders 34

"I don't know what happened," Tucker's Bill Ballard said. "You . . . well . . . put in there that this was Coach Ballard's fault. I don't know what cost us the game, but our guys played their hearts out and that's you all can ever ask for."

Steve Pennington, Statesboro's first-year coach, sounded equally perplexed:

"As excited as I am for Statesboro, I feel for Tucker. We snatched victory from them, but . . . at the same time we snatched victory from them. Give our guys credit and give their guys credit for a wonderful football game."

With 1:13 left in regulation, Tucker appeared to have won the game by stopping Statesboro's Nick Wedlow on fourth-and-goal at the 1-yard line.

The Tigers took over on downs with a 14-10 advantage, just needing to run out the clock. On second down, however, Ballard ordered his quarterback Dwayne Harris to run out of the end zone for a safety, which closed the margin to 14-12 with 51 seconds left.

After Tucker kicked off, Statesboro completed a pair of passes to get into scoring position. The chain of events following the second pass will go down in Statesboro folklore:

With less than 10 seconds left, quarterback David Cone threw to Kinnell Thompson, who tried mightily to get out of bounds to stop the clock. The officials ruled that Thompson was tackled in bounds with 3.3 seconds left; however, because Thompson got the first down, the clock stopped while the ball was being marked at the Tucker 17.

Then, it got really weird: Instead of having Cone spike the ball to stop the clock, Pennington ordered his field-goal unit on the field to the disbelief of many. As soon as the first down was marked, the clock started, the ball was snapped, and Sanders kicked the game winner as he slipped and fell.

"We barely got the snap off — there was less than a second on the clock," Sanders said. "I had a good snap, good hold, but I wiped out as I kicked it.

"The ball barely made it over by two or three yards. I had to jump up off the ground to see it creep over. Man, oh man, oh man. Wow."

As the final buzzer sounded, Statesboro players rushed the field while most of the Tucker team just stood around in disbelief. It was the third time in five years that Statesboro had egded Tucker in the state playoffs, with the first two going into overtime.

"That was the greatest high school game ever played," Cone said. "I still don't know how we did it. Zach Sanders is the man."
Old 11-20-2004, 01:25 PM   #145
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Amazing night. That's all I have to say.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:05 AM   #146
JeeberD
General Manager

Damn, what a tought way to lose the game...

Thanks for the reports, VPI and digamma. Reading this thread this morning made it feel like the action was live, and I've got the sweaty palms and accelerated heartbeat to prove it!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:18 PM   #147
Ben E Lou

Folks in Tucker are *still* debating whether or not we should have taken the safety--and I'm imagine sure some of the players will still be arguing back and forth with each other over it 60 years from now--and I still contend that, given the set of facts (our punting game sucked, they'd blocked several punts in the season, our placekicker had a very strong leg) that the safety was absolutely the correct call.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:56 PM   #148
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Folks in Tucker are *still* debating whether or not we should have taken the safety--and I'm imagine sure some of the players will still be arguing back and forth with each other over it 60 years from now--and I still contend that, given the set of facts (our punting game sucked, they'd blocked several punts in the season, our placekicker had a very strong leg) that the safety was absolutely the correct call.

Yup. And I'm also more convinced than ever that Tucker got screw-ewed in a major way by the refs and clock operator.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:59 PM   #149
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog

You can't take a knee in High school football? All that time on the clock seemed like a lot of time to waste on 2nd down in a game that close. But then, I wasn't there.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:01 PM   #150
MJ4H
Coordinator

is this game on now!!!

note: joke
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote