Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #101
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

the talking heads and ESPN are desperately trying to push Cam newton up the draft boards. i wouldnt be suprised to see him go #1 overall
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #102
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
the talking heads and ESPN are desperately trying to push Cam newton up the draft boards. i wouldnt be suprised to see him go #1 overall

Ever since reading those articles about Mel Kiper (and I assume McShay by association), I have such zero-respect for the talking head draftniks. They have zero impartiality.

I was never under the impression they were totally impartial, but they're so tainted in my mind that I could really give a shit what they have to say - it's all hot air anyways, none of it matters anymore than who you or I or anybody else thinks their team should draft.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #103
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Ever since reading those articles about Mel Kiper (and I assume McShay by association), I have such zero-respect for the talking head draftniks. They have zero impartiality.

I was never under the impression they were totally impartial, but they're so tainted in my mind that I could really give a shit what they have to say - it's all hot air anyways, none of it matters anymore than who you or I or anybody else thinks their team should draft.

Yeah, any teams who believe enough of what Kiper says to bump Newton (or whoever) that far up their boards deserve everything they get.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #104
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure the teams don't really buy into it, but even as a fan I just find it so insufferable now. Because whatever sense of maybe being impartial they have is just totally gone - you know that Kiper is just boosting guys up the draft boards so that they'll talk to him and give him access to improve the $$ that ESPN is paying him.

And I'm sure he boosts guys for other reasons, for legit on-field reasons, but now that the veil is off you can't trust anything that he says, so you just have to throw it all out.

I actively refuse to watch the two of them. I think McShay is maybe a little more impartial than Kiper, but I can't be sure, so I just tune them both out entirely.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #105
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm sure the teams don't really buy into it, but even as a fan I just find it so insufferable now. Because whatever sense of maybe being impartial they have is just totally gone - you know that Kiper is just boosting guys up the draft boards so that they'll talk to him and give him access to improve the $$ that ESPN is paying him.

And I'm sure he boosts guys for other reasons, for legit on-field reasons, but now that the veil is off you can't trust anything that he says, so you just have to throw it all out.

I actively refuse to watch the two of them. I think McShay is maybe a little more impartial than Kiper, but I can't be sure, so I just tune them both out entirely.

I could be wrong on this, but I get the impression McShay and Kiper don't like each other.

McShay is part of Scouts, Inc. Prior to that, Kiper was king. I can't tell if it's more a gentle ribbing when they disagree with picks, or more hatred and they are gritting their teeth on camera.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #106
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Oh I think McShay and Kiper actively don't like each other.

Yet the funny thing is that by both existing they increase the amount of conversation and raise both of their profiles. LOL
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #107
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:

thats not the point. the point is to raise thier value in the eyes of the fanbases, thus increasing the likelyhood the owners will push for his team to take said overrated QB. and its not just Cam newton. every year theres a few QB who ESPN and other others overhype . owners love $$, and a "franchise" QB they can sell to thier fanbase means a ton of money in extra ticket sales and merchandise
Old 02-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #108
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

But they wouldn't do that if there wasn't something in it for them (Kiper & McShay I mean)
Old 02-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #109
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Nnamdi Asomugha re-signs with the Raiders. Mark it.

Rod Woodson is the key.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #110
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Colts release Bob Sanders
Old 02-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #111
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Colts release Bob Sanders

He'll probably miss some days in FA
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #112
Logan
Head Coach

LOL.

Routt's 3-year deal worth whopping $31.5M - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

Quote:
Stanford Routt's three-year deal is worth $31.5 million, including $20 million over the first two years.

You read that correctly. No team in the league values Routt as highly as the Raiders. They managed to drastically overpay even though they were essentially bidding against themselves. Routt is a versatile corner sporting an impressive catch rate last season, but it's laughable to hand him two-thirds of Nnamdi Asomugha's salary.

Another quote from earlier on:

Quote:
NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that the Raiders have reached an extension with free agent CB Stanford Routt.

A longtime Al Davis favorite because of his 4.3 wheels, Routt was a priority with the Raiders set to lose Nnamdi Asomugha to free agency. Turning 28 this July, Routt was overpaid at just over $3M last season, so the Raiders wouldn't be smart to exceed that number on an annual basis. They almost certainly will, though. Routt has two interceptions in his last 47 games (20 starts).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #113
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

4.3 wheels? Worth it.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #114
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

10 mil a year for that guy? wow.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #115
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Makes sense. With the new CBA coming Al Davis has to ensure that he overspends while he still has the opportunity.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #116
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Overspending is all relative:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
While Asomugha was targeted on just 33 pass attempts this season, allowing 13 completions for 205 yards and no touchdowns, Routt was targeted 99 times. The completion percentage against him was the lowest in the league of any player targeted at least 60 times and was comparable to the numbers put up by the more heralded Asomugha (39.4 percent) and Darrelle Revis (33.9 percent).
Oakland Raiders tag Kamerion Wimbley; source says Stanford Routt to stay - ESPN
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #117
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I generally consider myself a pretty avid follower of the NFL. I'd say in a room of 50 random guys...I probably tend to know more about the NFL than say...47 of them.

That said...I_HAVE_NO_IDEA_WHO_THAT_F'N_GUY_IS!!! Wow.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #118
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Dallas Cowboys to interview Heisman winner Cam Newton at NFL scouting combine - ESPN Dallas

So absurd, I hope it pans out to be true. Anything that bumps one of the better CBs in the draft further down for the Lions I'm all for.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #119
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

So the Bears extend Lovie for 2 more years. Not sure what I think about it. Still don't think he's a great coach, but he's competent and has gotten some decent results.

Would not mind seeing Angelo shown the door soon though.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #120
rjolley
College Starter

While I don't think Lovie is the best coach, I don't get the desire to run him out of town either. He helped engineer a run to the NFC Championship this year with a team that should've been 8-8 and made it to the Super Bowl, though playing Grossman wasn't the best idea.

Overall, he's done a solid job with an aging defense and a terrible offensive line. I think he's earned at least a couple of seasons to see if he can get the line in shape and replace the aging parts of the defense with effective pieces.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #121
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
So the Bears extend Lovie for 2 more years. Not sure what I think about it. Still don't think he's a great coach, but he's competent and has gotten some decent results.

Would not mind seeing Angelo shown the door soon though.

Looks like the buyout is reasonable should the Bears tank in 2011.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #122
Logan
Head Coach

As people may have heard, the Jets cut Vernon Gholston yesterday, the #6 overall pick in the 2008 draft. According to Schefter, he had a $9 million escalator clause once he recorded a single sack, forced fumble, or fumble recovery. It went unearned.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #123
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Bears cut Tommie Harris, Hunter Hillenmeyer, and someone else who I forget.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 AM   #124
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
As people may have heard, the Jets cut Vernon Gholston yesterday, the #6 overall pick in the 2008 draft. According to Schefter, he had a $9 million escalator clause once he recorded a single sack, forced fumble, or fumble recovery. It went unearned.

I think the full story on this is that it was inserted before last season because the team KNEW that he was going to get cut after the season ended. They added it as a way to help Vernon save a little face, as in he was cut for cost reasons instead of for general ineptitude.

Face went unsaved.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #125
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I think the full story on this is that it was inserted before last season because the team KNEW that he was going to get cut after the season ended. They added it as a way to help Vernon save a little face, as in he was cut for cost reasons instead of for general ineptitude.

Face went unsaved.

Great combines, mediocre bars, very overrated in interview and high volatility? I usually stay away from guys like that at 1.6
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #126
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Tiki Barber plans to unretire, play in 2011 - NFL - SI.com
Old 03-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #127
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

I bet he is coming back for the love of the game and not, at all, because he is flirting with bankruptcy!
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #128
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Ricky Stanzi the top QB prospect?

I almost agree after reading this:

NFL Draft Picks 2011 - Ricky Stanzi the Best QB in the 2011 NFL Draft? - Fantasy Football 2011

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #129
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

can he really get more $$ as a 35 yo rb than a talking head analyst?
Old 03-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #130
molson
General Manager

Quote:
can he really get more $$ as a 35 yo rb than a talking head analyst?

He didn’t make it as a talking head analyst. He was fired from the Sunday night football job, I’m not isure if he’s even worked regularly in that role anywhere since.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #131
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

I keep looking for the Sidd Finch style clues... some sort of mardi gras prank, right?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #132
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I missed the stories last year apparently about him having cheated on his pregnant wife with an NBC intern and getting fired for it. I guess it's the only thing he has left that he can do to really make any money, figuring the vets minimum is better than nothing.

But will anyone really want him outside of New York? UFL?
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #133
Swaggs
Coordinator

Am I remembering incorrectly, or did he get in trouble for getting caught on air saying something inappropriate to a female co-host during the olympics or another program?

That is what I thought ended his broadcasting career, but wikipedia has no mention of it.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #134
stevew
Hall Of Famer

the total medal cunt thingy?

Last edited by stevew : 03-08-2011 at 06:47 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #135
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I missed the stories last year apparently about him having cheated on his pregnant wife with an NBC intern and getting fired for it. I guess it's the only thing he has left that he can do to really make any money, figuring the vets minimum is better than nothing.

Has anyone's early retirement/second career plans so thoroughly derailed as quickly as Tiki's? Wow.

He was no Barry Sanders on the field, and he's certainly no Barry off it, either.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-08-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #136
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

She wasn't an intern. I've met both her and Tiki as she is a former student of colleagues.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #137
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
the total medal cunt thingy?

That may be it?

I'm not sure I ever saw any footage, but I feel like I read about it afterward. I'll have to dig around and see if I find anything.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #138
Swaggs
Coordinator

I did read that the pregnant wife, that he left, ended up having twins.