Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #101
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I certainly wouldn't expect you to change something before tomorrow. I'm just throwing thoughts against the wall. Perhaps I'm the only one that cares or thinks it may be an issue. Perhaps you set age as a high factor and the weight high for all experienced players and not less experienced, let all your drafting go toward the top 40 spots (all veterans) and consider the last 40 to be losers you expect to cut for the final roster. I haven't done this before, so it may turn out that it's not important.

OK. That's a lie. I've done this before but it was like a year ago and I didn't play long enough to really get into it. And my memory is terrible.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #102
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

dola:

scenario: I want a veteran as sort of a backup/mentor position (I doubt you ahve mentoring code in, but work with me ) for my QBs. I then want 3 young QBs to fight it out for the #1 and #3 spots. There's currently no way to really do that. I get what you're saying, and you probably get what I'm saying, I just like to type more than is necessary.

The biggest problem I see is if, let's say there are 128 QBs available. Of those 128, let's say 64 of them are young and 64 are old. If everyone wants 3 or 4 young QBs, there's no way to distribute them. I fully recognize how this is a tough task to code, and I'm not sure there's a better way to do it. Maybe my (and others?) ranting can work their way into actual solutions, though.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #103
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Hey, Bill..it's telling me the password you supplied is incorrect. I think you had my username down as "kailifornia" when it's actually "karlifornia". I'm guessing that's the hangup here.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #104
rjolley
College Starter

But, in a draft, are you really expecting to get everything that you want at every position? In your QB example, if everyone has a QB as their top priority, they would all get 2 young QBs and 2 vets. I think that's expected.

It would be nice to be able to see a list of the initial draft pool. It could affect the drafting strategy.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #105
billgulch
n00b

oops :

karlifornia - a3d69c2ecdafe2030426b1b060439fac

Hey LS : You are pretty much spot on with your comments. On a side but somewhat related note : I do plan on ultimately allowing new leagues to import thier draft if they want to do the whole live draft thing without the site interefering. I'll also allow leagues to eventually import their initial set of players and possibly upcoming draft classes if they prefer. Just a matter of getting the time and making it a priorirt over other projects I suppose.

--Mike
billgulch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #106
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
But, in a draft, are you really expecting to get everything that you want at every position? In your QB example, if everyone has a QB as their top priority, they would all get 2 young QBs and 2 vets. I think that's expected.

It would be nice to be able to see a list of the initial draft pool. It could affect the drafting strategy.

No, but if my number is up and there's a young QB available with some upside and I already have a veteran QB, I'd rather get the young QB. That is currently not an option (particularly because the AgeMod only considers current, not potential, even if I have the agemod set high). If I'm picking the 99th QB in the draft in theory I could prefer a young guy over a washed up never-gonna-start guy.

Again, having said that, I don't have a better solution necessarily. Diarrhea of the keyboard.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #107
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

In as the New Orleans Jazz! I even designed my own helmet. I mean, it's not much but it's an accomplishment when you consider my novice design skills.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #108
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
No, but if my number is up and there's a young QB available with some upside and I already have a veteran QB, I'd rather get the young QB. That is currently not an option (particularly because the AgeMod only considers current, not potential, even if I have the agemod set high). If I'm picking the 99th QB in the draft in theory I could prefer a young guy over a washed up never-gonna-start guy.

Again, having said that, I don't have a better solution necessarily. Diarrhea of the keyboard.
Ok, didn't think the second example was related to the first. As a whole, your example makes sense.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #109
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Anybody got a site where I can get a logo for the Hurricanes? Went looking for the very short lived Myrtle Beach Hurricanes-was there for one season under that name I think in early 90's. But will settle for any other "hurricane themed" logos I can use.
Try here. It's where I got my Storm helmet. The only problem is that the helmets have transparent backgrounds which looks weird on some screens. I edited mine to have a white bg.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #110
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
Try here. It's where I got my Storm helmet. The only problem is that the helmets have transparent backgrounds which looks weird on some screens. I edited mine to have a white bg.

Man I like that handicapped one.

The helmet I currently have is just a placeholder until I can find the time to get on my laptop (with Photoshop). Not that I'm a Photoshop master, but I can do better in that than Paint.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #111
rjolley
College Starter

Thanks for that site, 21C. I was able to find a helmet that works for the team nickname I wanted originally.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #112
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post

Thanks for the link! Looks like some good ones there.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #113
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgulch View Post
Hey guys!

I had forgotten exactly how long after I tell the thing to draft that it does. It looks like it will take place tomorrow at some time (after noon EST).

If anyone thinks this is too early, I can move it back a day or so. Otherwise, we'll let it do it's stuff and you guys can start messing with the actual game tomorrow.

Just let me know, and thanks again.

--Mike

Ready to start messing with the actual game now!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #114
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So the draft is anytime now, correct?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #115
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Yes. One suggestion for future new leagues is to have all these times / status updates displayed, at least on the main league page.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #116
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Yep -- Mike said it would be sometime after noon EST.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #117
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Here;'s a suggestion ..

Give the rest of the people a chance and ban me from the league cause the dynasty is about to begin.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #118
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Here;'s a suggestion ..

Give the rest of the people a chance and ban me from the league cause the dynasty is about to begin.

you're going to have a dynasty? No, you're team's going to die... nasty!
Old 03-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #119
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Yes. One suggestion for future new leagues is to have all these times / status updates displayed, at least on the main league page.

I don't think this is isolated to the draft -- I think all sims are at an unspecific time like this. I think that is something that is a high priority to change, personally. I want to know exactly when I can check on a "spin" and see the results (and on the flip side, when I have to have my adjustements in to affect that spin).

Old 03-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #120
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Mike:

I don't know if it's because the draft is not complete, but I can see the draft history, which seems to have included the entire "Less Exp" list, but my "roster" page shows my first qb, then a vbscript error, and nothing else. I can, however, click on players from the draft page and get their stats/etc. I can post a screenshot if necessary, but I figure since you're in the league you should be able to see it.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #121
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Looks like the draft is definitely still running. I'll check back once done.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #122
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

When the draft is done, anyone want a scrimmage?
Old 03-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #123
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Looks like things are done and working now. LETS GET IT ON!!

What's the deal with scrimmages? I'll see if there's info on the site, but is there a downside to having a scrimmage?

Old 03-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #124
billgulch
n00b

The draft should be done now. Took a lot longer than previously, since I'm running the box remotely now (and have to send the info through a cable modem...). If you guys seen anything weird, let me know, as I have done some mods since I last set up a league (Although I tried to be careful, I'm particularly leary of the DB layout changes I've made).

Your guys games sim sometime after 6:00 PM nightly. I now have 4 PC's that process the games (I only had one when you where playing before LS), so they generally get finished between 6:00 PM and 8:00 PM.

The only exception is if my cable modem dies out and I'm not around, in which case I have to kick it in the booty. But I have also recently purchased one of those 9" Dell Inspiron's, so i've taken to carrying a "man bag" now and check in regularly if I'm not around (unless the wife is in my business for ruining her night out.. ).

Thanks again!

--Mike
Old 03-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #125
billgulch
n00b

Oh, and I'll get your guys credits done when I get home from getting my daughter.

Scrimmages are a way you can learn more about your team. No one can get hurt during them (or if they do, it's not saved, so it won't affect your real league play).

--Mike

Last edited by billgulch : 03-11-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: DOLA... :)
Old 03-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #126
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Is there a way to compare two (or more players) by their full attributes? If I have two players with a similar overall I would love a quick way to compare their individual attributes.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #127
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

...it would also be nice to filter the roster by position, particularly so that I can see the inactive guys compared to the active guys (sorry if there is a way to do this that I missed).

Old 03-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #128
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Pretty happy with my team at first glance.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #129
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgulch View Post
The draft should be done now. Took a lot longer than previously, since I'm running the box remotely now (and have to send the info through a cable modem...). If you guys seen anything weird, let me know, as I have done some mods since I last set up a league (Although I tried to be careful, I'm particularly leary of the DB layout changes I've made).

Your guys games sim sometime after 6:00 PM nightly. I now have 4 PC's that process the games (I only had one when you where playing before LS), so they generally get finished between 6:00 PM and 8:00 PM.

The only exception is if my cable modem dies out and I'm not around, in which case I have to kick it in the booty. But I have also recently purchased one of those 9" Dell Inspiron's, so i've taken to carrying a "man bag" now and check in regularly if I'm not around (unless the wife is in my business for ruining her night out.. ).

Thanks again!

--Mike

Does Week 1/4 being listed for today mean that a preseason game will be simulated sometime between 6pm and 8pm today?

Old 03-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #130
rjolley
College Starter

One thing I notice, I have two QBs that are exactly the same. Micheal Blevins and Miles Macleod.

For the FA search, I would like to see the ability to filter out players based on attributes, ratings, and stats. So, I'd like all 5th year and younger QBs, or all RBs with a potential Find Opening of 70+ and Speed of 85+.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #131
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
When the draft is done, anyone want a scrimmage?
Any idea how we do that?

Old 03-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #132
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

DeepRoute.com / VOFL.com League Forums: Scrimmage Games Are Here!
Quote:
To card scrimmage games, you must convert credits into scrimmage tokens. You can do that, choose the "Buy Scrimmage Tokens" options under the "Scrimmages +" tab. Simply use the dropdown box to select how many tokens you want. Voila!

I don't know if the system has changed, but I don't have a "Scrimmages +" tab.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #133
DeToxRox
Head Coach

My DT Randall Thomas is a beast. 26 y/o, 3 year player. 84/99. Also in the middle is 30 year old, 7 year vet James Holland, 84/85.

At LB ..

Ronald Peruzzi - 83/83
Robert Gravenstein - 79/86

At S ..

Jimmy Serratos - 91/98

Love the talent on this D.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #134
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

We have two scrimmage tokens to start.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #135
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'm in to scrimmage.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #136
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
We have two scrimmage tokens to start.
OK, how the heck do we use them? Excuse me if I'm being obtuse.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #137
Thomkal
Head Coach

LordScarlet,

Not sure if this is the same problem or not, but oftentimes in the horse racing game, when Mike is updating something, running the weekly races, doing the Sunday update, things sometimes look "strange" until the update is done. Or I could be entirely wrong.

And I'm not happy drafting 29th.

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-11-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #138
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
LordScarlet,

Not sure if this is the same problem or not, but oftentimes in the horse racing game, when Mike is updating something, running the weekly races, doing the Sunday update, things sometimes look "strange" until the update is wrong. Or I could be entirely wrong.

And I'm not happy drafting 29th.

Your draft position is different for each positions. It is based on your (and everyone else's) "Draft Factor" for each position. For instance, you got the 4th (Less Exp) FB.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #139
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm looking how. Bill, if you're reading this, you definitely need to explain that better
Old 03-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #140
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Your draft position is different for each positions. It is based on your (and everyone else's) "Draft Factor" for each position. For instance, you got the 4th (Less Exp) FB.

yes yes I know, was just bitching about my QB's
Old 03-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #141
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
yes yes I know, was just bitching about my QB's
#1, beyotch!

4 years experience, 95/99.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #142
Thomkal
Head Coach

My starting QB may be a 20 year vet. That's not a good sign.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #143
Autumn
Head Coach

My starting QB is clutch. Highest of any of htem I've looked at so far. I like the variability in ratings, even among the top QBs there's seemingly a lot of differnet styles and talents. My guy has not a great arm, but is 99 at clutch. Other guys are golden arms.

There's a lot to look through here, it will take me a while.

I found it very confusing how to find a guy's statistics. When I click on him I see contract negotiation, and it seemed like maybe I had to accept a contract before I could even see his ratings. It was a while before I noticed the "click here to see attributes" link. I would revise that screen to make it much easier to tell where to go for what.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #144
wade moore
lolzcat

Ugh - didn't get the chance to update my draft strategery. This happened pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #145
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So how do we scrimmage.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #146
Racer
College Benchwarmer

When setting your lineup, does anyone know the difference between set A and B?
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #147
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Scrimmage: DeepRoute.com - Virtual Online Football League / Simulated Football Game - Provided by SimulatedSports.com

I got that from the chat -- sounds like we're not the only ones having problems with it, either.

Mike: So you run all the sims at home and then upload them to your host? I don't mean to question your architecture, but is that the best way to run things? With the number of years you've been doing this I assume you've thought it through, but that seems a little odd.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #148
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I really want to be able to activate / deactivate from the roster screen, where I have a good overview of all the players. Right now on the "Roster Moves" screen I have to click back and forth on the players to figure out who is who to do the moves.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #149
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Mike: So you run all the sims at home and then upload them to your host? I don't mean to question your architecture, but is that the best way to run things? With the number of years you've been doing this I assume you've thought it through, but that seems a little odd.

That's the way the basketball game has always run. And why not? The web site just cares about the database, and your home computer is easier to run / debug / fix / whatever. Just like our FOF leagues
Old 03-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #150
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
When setting your lineup, does anyone know the difference between set A and B?

You can set it to use your B lineup for some plays if you use the advanced playbook. Otherwise it doesn't matter.