Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2006, 02:27 AM   #101
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
You know, hearing that Kwan is withdrawing from the Olympics makes me irritated that she took a spot for someone else who had qualified for the team at the US championships.
i don't think she has actually withdrawn yet. and they said if she does withdraw that the other Hughes sister is her backup.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:35 AM   #102
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
i don't think she has actually withdrawn yet. and they said if she does withdraw that the other Hughes sister is her backup.
I wasn't sure if they could replace her once she did withdraw. If they can good. It's on the Olympics home page that she did withdraw already.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:36 AM   #103
dervack
College Prospect

Dola,

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/5101092/detail.html
Old 02-12-2006, 02:45 AM   #104
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
wow. i'm sure she didn't "want" to, but that's pretty lame.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:53 AM   #105
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
wow. i'm sure she didn't "want" to, but that's pretty lame.
Reading the article it states they are going to ask to replace Kwan, but it isn't a sure thing. I hope they let her be replaced.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:13 AM   #106
kingfc22
Head Coach

I can't wait for Monday. CURLING!! WOO!!!!
Old 02-12-2006, 03:20 AM   #107
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
catching some of the early stuff on the replay.

wow...that throw-triple-axle is BADASS.

That was what my cryptic wow comment was about before. I was amazed they pulled it off.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:22 AM   #108
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You know, hearing that Kwan is withdrawing from the Olympics makes me irritated that she took a spot for someone else who had qualified for the team at the US championships.

I thought she petitioned and didn't take someone else's spot. I thought we didn't have another skater that qualified to go, so that there was no downside to the USA for her to go.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:24 AM   #109
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I'm mildly drunk, tired, and about to pass out. However, I was apparently confused about Kwan. In any case, they said that the IOC has unofficially approved Emily Hughes (The younger sister of Sara) to come to the Olympics as a replacement.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:41 AM   #110
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Emily Hughes finished 3rd at the trials I believe

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:43 AM   #111
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow!! What a race! Who knew cross-country skiing could be so exciting?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:26 AM   #112
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I thought she petitioned and didn't take someone else's spot. I thought we didn't have another skater that qualified to go, so that there was no downside to the USA for her to go.

kwan didnt skate at nationals, where the 3 top finishers qualify for the olympic team, but she petitioned the IOC for an exemption and a spot on the team based upon her previous performances and the fact that she was injured. they set this precedent by letting Nancy (whhhyyyyyyyy) Kerrigan go to Lillehammer in '94. so they bumped out emily hughes and let kwan have her spot. i thought it was bs at the time, and this only confirms it.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:13 AM   #113
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
for anyone else watching in HD, is your picture and sound cutting in and out? Craptacular said he had some problems earlier on Universal HD with the audio, but this entire primetime show is giving me all kinds of problems with both audio and visual.

also, anyone else noticing that the audio is out of sync with the video?

Last night I also tried watching some of the coverage in HD from my local NBC affilliate through my antenna, and had a bunch of picture / sound issues again. I was getting awesome signal strength, so I don't think that was the problem. I think NBC is just having problems with their HD feed altogether. The problems were bad enough to make it unwatchable, and I flipped back to SD through DISH.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #114
MIJB#19
Coordinator

One-Two Woohoo!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #115
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
kwan didnt skate at nationals, where the 3 top finishers qualify for the olympic team, but she petitioned the IOC for an exemption and a spot on the team based upon her previous performances and the fact that she was injured. they set this precedent by letting Nancy (whhhyyyyyyyy) Kerrigan go to Lillehammer in '94. so they bumped out emily hughes and let kwan have her spot. i thought it was bs at the time, and this only confirms it.
Spot on! I'm actually glad that Kwan pulled out, because she totally screwed over Emily Hughes. Right after they let Kwan get in, I wondered why anyone ever thought figure skating was a legit sport when crap like that happens.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:55 PM   #116
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I wasn't sure if they could replace her once she did withdraw. If they can good. It's on the Olympics home page that she did withdraw already.

Kwan had to try out for her spot. And what she did, was no different than what Kerrigan did to her in 1994 when she ended up being the alternate. Hence, it wasn't unprecedented or anything.

Plus, they made her actually perform her routine, so it wasn't as though she didn't have to work for it.

I think what she did here, proves she's gracious and doesn't think she's above the sport. People need to cut this girl some slack, she's done a hell of job representing America over the years.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:06 PM   #117
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Kwan had to try out for her spot. And what she did, was no different than what Kerrigan did to her in 1994 when she ended up being the alternate. Hence, it wasn't unprecedented or anything.

Plus, they made her actually perform her routine, so it wasn't as though she didn't have to work for it.

I think what she did here, proves she's gracious and doesn't think she's above the sport. People need to cut this girl some slack, she's done a hell of job representing America over the years.
Oh screw that! Gracious would have been to admit she hasn't been well enough to participate in Qualification and shouldn't try to nose her way into the US team simply based on reputation. She's a prima donna, plain and simple.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:19 PM   #118
saldana
Pro Starter

i am about half and half with agreeing with the two posts above this one, but i do give her alot of credit for walking away early enough for Emily Hughes to get here and get ready....she could easily have stayed a few more days, or not left at all...so i will give her a ton of props for doing what is best for the US team.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:55 PM   #119
clintl
College Starter

Why all the consternation about Kwan doing something that was within the rules to be on the team? It's not like she's the first athlete ever to have done this.

Last edited by clintl : 02-12-2006 at 04:55 PM.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #120
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Oh screw that! Gracious would have been to admit she hasn't been well enough to participate in Qualification and shouldn't try to nose her way into the US team simply based on reputation. She's a prima donna, plain and simple.

I disagree. I think her dream was to win Olympic Gold and this was her last chance, and she was going to do anything to attempt to fulfill that dream. She obviously was healthy enough when she went through what she did to get onto the team but since then has suffered some minor injuries that have thrown her off her game. If she was truly a prima donna she would have stayed, knowing that all eyes were on her, and continued to try to practice and maybe pull off a mediocre performance in 10 days. But she did the right thing and stepped aside for Hughes...I am sure it wasn't an easy decision to make, I bet there are quite a few athletes who wouldn't have done what she did and would have selfishly stayed just to stay knowing they had no shot at a medal, or even being a contender for a medal.

*insert Brando "I should have been a contender" joke here*

Last edited by oliegirl : 02-12-2006 at 05:11 PM.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:34 PM   #121
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

The Flying Tomato takes down the gold.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:40 PM   #122
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I agree that having a bunch of useless posts with generic comments is not a good strategy, but please put a spoiler warning with some space before posting results.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:03 PM   #123
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
I agree that having a bunch of useless posts with generic comments is not a good strategy, but please put a spoiler warning with some space before posting results.

Why don't we just create a spoilers thread? This one can be for the "political" discussions and the other for results and such...
Old 02-12-2006, 06:08 PM   #124
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic
The Flying Tomato takes down the gold.

thanks for ruining that event for everyone that planned on watching the event when they show it tonight.....

apparently some people either didnt bother or is incapable of reading the part of this thread where it says not to post spoilers.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:10 PM   #125
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
Why don't we just create a spoilers thread? This one can be for the "political" discussions and the other for results and such...

that is pretty much what was commonly agreed upon about 40 posts ago, when the people that were frequenting this thread said they would keep specific event results confined to threads about that event unless it had already been broadcast.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:41 PM   #126
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Im glad that I dont know who that is

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #127
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
I disagree. I think her dream was to win Olympic Gold and this was her last chance, and she was going to do anything to attempt to fulfill that dream. She obviously was healthy enough when she went through what she did to get onto the team but since then has suffered some minor injuries that have thrown her off her game. If she was truly a prima donna she would have stayed, knowing that all eyes were on her, and continued to try to practice and maybe pull off a mediocre performance in 10 days. But she did the right thing and stepped aside for Hughes...I am sure it wasn't an easy decision to make, I bet there are quite a few athletes who wouldn't have done what she did and would have selfishly stayed just to stay knowing they had no shot at a medal, or even being a contender for a medal.

*insert Brando "I should have been a contender" joke here*
There are different ways to be a prima donna, IMO. Kwan, I believe, knew she was injured and didn't want to look like a fool during the competition and taint her legacy. I think she fell during practice and just totally broke down and didn't want to look bad, so she said I'm not going to do it.

Basically I got no respect for him using the "Kerrigan rule" when the situation with Kerrigan was far different (purposeful sabotage by a competitor).
Old 02-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #128
Craptacular
College Starter

Am I the only one whose favorite Olympic event (summer or winter) is the downhill? These guys are insane ... always an inch from disaster.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:45 PM   #129
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yes. and my dad totally faked me out by saying he looked at the results and insinuating one thing that hasn't turned out to be the case so far. it's great! fake spoilers rule!
Old 02-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #130
Craptacular
College Starter

I'm about 15-20 minutes behind their coverage (using the DVR), but this has been amazing so far. I can't believe how some of these guys recover from sure doom.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #131
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

SEMI-SPOILER:

Well that new ski thing didn't work out so well, did it?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-12-2006 at 08:49 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:53 PM   #132
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular
Am I the only one whose favorite Olympic event (summer or winter) is the downhill? These guys are insane ... always an inch from disaster.
It's one of my favorites- I still most like the mogul, but the downhill is one of my other couple of favorites (along with the 4 man bobseld).

Go Lichtenstien-- er.. Lichstenstein-- err.. Lichtenstein

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:55 PM   #133
Craptacular
College Starter

Can you imagine how awesome it would be if these guys raced together a la Skier X at the X Games. It would be incredibly dangerous, but fun to watch.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:56 PM   #134
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Holy crap!! What a downhill!
Old 02-12-2006, 08:58 PM   #135
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Spoilers thread has been created - let's all respect each other and use it please...
Old 02-12-2006, 09:01 PM   #136
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

why doesn't SI just edit the title of this thread to say spoilers are inside?
Old 02-12-2006, 09:01 PM   #137
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That wasn't a spoiler . Unless they didn't want to know X event was going to be exciting.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:01 PM   #138
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Downhill racing is one of my favorite events as well (I'm about 50 minutes behind catching up on TIVO.)
Old 02-12-2006, 09:01 PM   #139
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

more short-track speedskating after the downhill. 1500 meters

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-12-2006 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #140
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Downhill racing is one of my favorite events as well (I'm about 50 minutes behind catching up on TIVO.)
There'll be a couple of parts you might want to rewind.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:09 PM   #141
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I guess I could do that with the spoilers. I was kindof hoping to have a simultaneous thread where it's commentary as we watch, tho. Basically, no spoilers until it's been shown on tv kind of thing. But that's up to everyone else.

Frankly, a non-spoiler thread will just be empty since everyone will just assume everything is a spoiler.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-12-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:18 PM   #142
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Can you imagine how awesome it would be if these guys raced together a la Skier X at the X Games. It would be incredibly dangerous, but fun to watch.
OK, that "simulcam" is pretty cool.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #143
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

There have been some amazing jumps (and recoveries) in the downhill.

Definitely had a few "rewind moments" so far.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #144
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The entirety of the downhill is the perfect reason why there is no need to build up stupid human interest stories for half the primetime schedule. That whole story wrote itself.

SI

Old 02-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #145
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of human interest stories... is it just me, or do we have much less of that so far this time around?
Old 02-12-2006, 09:32 PM   #146
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Speaking of human interest stories... is it just me, or do we have much less of that so far this time around?
I missed most of yesterday since I was out of town, but tonight seems relatively "human interest" free. Maybe they took a cue from everyone saying that and have cut down.

SI

Old 02-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #147
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I've got a possible solution idea to the spoilers thing- gonna see what people think. How about we have two Olympic threads based on time zone: one east/central time zone, one mountain/west (those are the two television zones for something on tape delay, right?). This would just become the East/Central one and the results one can become the Mountain/West one or something like that?

That way we can do some spoilers. Otherwise, I just don't see much point of having an Olympic thread if we can't talk about it "as it's happening" or at least as it's happening for us. It'll just have a couple of "daily" recaps, maybe a discussion if some controversy comes up, and that's about it.

SI

Old 02-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #148
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i don't understand the scoring in snowboarding. i mean i get it's bad if they fall, and the longer they grab the better...but beyond that and the amount of air i don't really see how they differentiate between say White and Aguierre (who had a higher degree of difficulty in his routine, right?)
Old 02-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #149
Craptacular
College Starter

Honestly, I think we should keep this one spoiler free. If no one posts in it, then so be it. I've been using the DVR a lot so far, and if nothing else, this could be a thread to see what events I really need to watch without knowing the results.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #150
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Honestly, I think we should keep this one spoiler free. If no one posts in it, then so be it. I've been using the DVR a lot so far, and if nothing else, this could be a thread to see what events I really need to watch without knowing the results.
well if we can't post some kind of spoilers it's going to be pretty crappy discussion.

"oh wow you should watch the downhill."

"oh yeah that was neat."

end discussion