Old 10-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #101
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Two fantastic games last night, Avs-Pens and Wings-Sharks
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #102
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully John Scott is out for at least five games after that blatant late/cheap elbow to Loui Eriksson's head.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #103
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Hopefully John Scott is out for at least five games after that blatant late/cheap elbow to Loui Eriksson's head.

I vote 10!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #104
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

I'm a Sabres fan - I hope he's suspended for life.

Boy, it's tough being a Buffalo sports fan. At least the Bills are showing *some* signs of life.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #105
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Boy, it's tough being a Buffalo sports fan. At least the Bills are showing *some* signs of life.

+1, but I expected the Sabres to be disappointing this season.

As for John Scott, he deserves at least 5 games, he was trying to jump start something for the last part of the 2nd period and no one was having it.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #106
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Thank goodness there are players like John Scott in the league to prevent players like John Scott from throwing dirty hits.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #107
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Just watched it. Pretty brutal.

Scott should be gone for quite a while.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #108
Logan
Head Coach

Are we just more sensitive to this, or does it seem like there are actually more of these hits happening now than ever? It feels like every day I'm reading about either a scheduled hearing or an already-decided suspension.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #109
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think everyone is more sensitive to it. I also think that the crazy hard-shell equipment makes the results of cheap shots like Scott's more devastating. 10-15 years ago Eriksson gets right back up with a bruised jaw, now he's hospitalized for observation.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #110
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
+1, but I expected the Sabres to be disappointing this season.

I expected them to be disappointing as well and I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with them finishing near or at the bottom of the standings.

However, with a rebuilding team, you want to have some hope. You want to see the team play the young kids, in this case four (!!) teenagers, and give them appropriate ice time and linemates in order to develop. You want to see the team play hard, but fair, be difficult to play against and show some battle despite likely falling short the majority of the time.

None of that, and I mean NONE of that is happening in Buffalo. Their top prospect, 19 year old Mikael Grigorenko is getting between 5-10 minutes a night centering John Scott. Tell me: how in the hell is the kid supposed to develop when he's playing with a guy like that and getting no quality ice time? They say he hasn't 'earned' more ice time...what a load of B.S!!! Like we need to watch another year of Drew Stafford, Ville Leino, Tyler Ennis, etc stink it up and underperform.

They should put the kid on a top two line, play him 15-20 minutes a night and let him make his mistakes on the way without him feeling like he'll be benched or relegated to the 4th line after the first giveaway. The team is going nowhere this year...let the kids play!

That said, there's no doubt in my mind that coach Ron Rolston is completely in over his head and not cut out to be a coach at this level. The team plays with absolutely no organization whatsoever, with constant odd man rushes against, poor pinches, bad decisions and tepid play. I won't even start with Regier, who should have been shown the door years ago. But even then, if the team decides to fire both now, what does that say about an organization that knew before the season that they'd be "suffering". It would prove they have absolutely no idea what they're doing.

So continue to expect the status quo. Losing at a record clip (maybe 15-20 wins max this year), getting outshot 2-1 every game and playing an absolutely unwatchable brand of hockey that has this long-time season ticket holder actually thinking about not renewing next year.

And I'm a die-hard. Imagine the casual fans right now.

*exhales*

Sorry for the rant. I guess I need to get used to this because it will only get worse when Miller and Vanek are traded...coming from a team that says they need more good players to contend. Ha!

Last edited by NoSkillz : 10-24-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #111
Logan
Head Coach

Vanek to NYI for Moulson, 2014 1st, 2015 2nd.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #112
bhlloy
Coordinator

Really curious trade for the Islanders. Moulson is statistically just as good as Vanek, and probably more affordable/resignable. Plus you give up a first and a second?

They must think Vanek has more upside playing with Tavares but man, that's a hell of a lot to give up and you are going to have to pay him this offseason if he even wants to stay
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #113
bbor
Pro Starter

I imagine that if Vanek doesn't sign by the trade deadline he will be dealt,but it does seem like a hell of a lot to give up for a pending UFA.

I think Moulson is a non factor in this trade,he is a product of Tavares more than anything else.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #114
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
I think Moulson is a non factor in this trade,he is a product of Tavares more than anything else.

The sole reason I drafted him in our FOFC league!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:00 AM   #115
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Pens-B's was great last night, though I'm guessing not too many eyes in Boston saw it.

And it featured Pascal Dupuis pulling his own tooth on the bench before his next shift

Old 10-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #116
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Pens-B's was great last night, though I'm guessing not too many eyes in Boston saw it.

And it featured Pascal Dupuis pulling his own tooth on the bench before his next shift

I saw it. Was a tough loss for the B's - great game throughout, but I think once they got scored on with like 9 minutes left or whatever it was always going to be tough.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #117
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So, Colorado goalie Semyon Varlamov was arrested last night on domestic violence charges. It appears that he might have shoved his girlfriend into a wall.

While I won't make light of the domestic violence, this reaction by some Russian politician is pretty fantastic:

“I’m confident of Semyon’s innocence. I think it is sports and political move, as Varlamov is a candidate for the Russian national team. The main goal is to suspend him from training and games so that he loses practice and misses the Olympics.”

-State Duma deputy Igor Ananskikh, a member of Russia's most outspoken nationalist party, LDPR.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #118
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

From 13 years ago...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roy.JPG (141.7 KB, 246 views)
Old 10-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #119
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Downie to Philly, Talbot to Colorado
Old 11-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #120
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Stamkos broke his leg this afternoon.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #121
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Stamkos broke his leg this afternoon.

Read about that. That sucks. Hopefully he won't be out too long, but it doesn't sound good.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #122
Icy
Pro Starter

Just got back from my first live NHL game ever!

I'm in Montreal this week visiting some customers and I was invited to the Lightning @Canadiens game today in their luxury suite, really great experience!

Besides de business this alone was worth the long trip from Spain

Last edited by Icy : 11-12-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #123
britrock88
Pro Starter

Lucky duck. I'd love to see the Habs someday.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #124
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Some big changes in Buffalo.

Rolston (coach) and Darcy Regeir (long time GM) are OUT.

Ted Nolan is in as the interim head coach and Pat LaFontaine is now the director of hockey operations.

Things had to change there. Interesting to see the Sabres reach back into the past for both Nolan and LaFontaine.

In other hockey news, the Red Wings lost in OT again. It's how they do. Datsyuk and Zetterberg have been fantastic this year. The rest of the team? Not so much.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 11-13-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #125
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Ted Nolan is the best coach...for 12-24 months. He'll get Buffalo back to the playoffs by 15-16, if allowed to stick around that long.

Then, by that point, every player on the team will hate him, and they'll have to fire him again.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #126
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Some big changes in Buffalo.

Rolston (coach) and Darcy Regeir (long time GM) are OUT.

Ted Nolan is in as the interim head coach and Pat LaFontaine is now the director of hockey operations.

Things had to change there. Interesting to see the Sabres reach back into the past for both Nolan and LaFontaine.

I am a newer Sabres fan (going on 6 yrs now) I am excited just to see the changes happen. Everyone else is on cloud 9. I hope for some shake ups coming on the roster and seeing this team reach deep inside and kick it up a notch.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #127
bhlloy
Coordinator

Be very interested to see if Nolan's style works with today's young NHL players

From the outside looking in seems harsh on Regier, who built some really good teams and then has done an excellent job restocking the cupboard with picks when the talent fell off.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #128
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Seeing the practice pictures from today, the players look happy and excited. Nolan worked them to death from the reports, but it is cool to see them smiling and excited.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #129
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post

Pffft...that's looks photoshopped!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #130
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Be very interested to see if Nolan's style works with today's young NHL players

From the outside looking in seems harsh on Regier, who built some really good teams and then has done an excellent job restocking the cupboard with picks when the talent fell off.

As another outsider, I think Regier's at "fault" for having a rich owner come in, and spending the money poorly. His two money FA pickups have been solid (Ehrhoff) and terrible (Leino). Then retaining average players - Stafford, Ennis - at much too high salaries.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #131
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
As another outsider, I think Regier's at "fault" for having a rich owner come in, and spending the money poorly. His two money FA pickups have been solid (Ehrhoff) and terrible (Leino). Then retaining average players - Stafford, Ennis - at much too high salaries.

The death blow in my opinion was his hire of Rolston, a coach who was clearly in over his head at the NHL level, without going so far as interviewing other candidates.

Just lazy management and it was quite apparent that Rolston had lost the team weeks ago.

LaFontaine is an inspired hire - he exudes class and is extremely well respected throughout hockey and should bring back some integrity to the Sabres organization that has been lost this year, whether it's because of the Kaleta/John Scott fiascos or the disasterous play on the ice.

I doubt Nolan is a long-term solution but he's an ideal "interim" candidate who will bring passion and accountability to a young dressing room. At the very least, I'm hoping that the Sabres become watchable again because the "product" has been excrutiating this year.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #132
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

How was this child allowed out of the arena yesterday in Pittsburgh?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (158.2 KB, 161 views)
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #133
Logan
Head Coach

Hartnell's handwriting sucks.

Last edited by Logan : 11-14-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #134
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Writing that terrible had to come from somebody with a weak wrist. Wonder how much Giroux gave the kid to hold that.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #135
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
How was this child allowed out of the arena yesterday in Pittsburgh?

Penguins hat. Pittsburgh fans were confused long enough for him to escape.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #136
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Penguins hat. Pittsburgh fans were confused long enough for him to escape.

This, and he didn't throw batteries at anyone or cheer cancer, so he didn't give himself away.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #137
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

I think Pegula, as much as he wants to win, is a bit clueless. Reiger should of been gone when he bought the team.

Rolston was just terrible. Line management, the scratches (how are you suppose to develop and rebuild when your young guys when you put them on fourth lines or scratch them? Especially over guys like "Brian Flynn" and lazy, poorly performing players like Drew Stafford.) The Kaleta move also was questionable.

I hope Nolan can get the team inspired again...though hopefully they don't go on a run and finish 8th or 9th in the standings. A shot at the top two or three picks is what this teams need to "rebuild."

It'll be interesting to see who is hired as the next GM.

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-15-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #138
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I think Pegula, as much as he wants to win, is a bit clueless. Reiger should of been gone when he bought the team.

Rolston was just terrible. Line management, the scratches (how are you suppose to develop and rebuild when your young guys when you put them on fourth lines or scratch them? Especially over guys like "Brian Flynn" and lazy, poorly performing players like Drew Stafford.) The Kaleta move also was questionable.

I hope Nolan can get the team inspired again...though hopefully they don't go on a run and finish 8th or 9th in the standings. A shot at the top two or three picks is what this teams need to "rebuild."

It'll be interesting to see who is hired as the next GM.

I agree with you about the lack of youth development but here we are, with Nolan about to coach his first game and look at who he's scratching:

Grigorenko
Larsson
Zadorov

Three of their premier young prospects. In their place: Ville Leino (BUST), Stafford, Flynn, and Jamie McBain.

Ugh.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #139
bhlloy
Coordinator

When the Ducks played the Sabres I thought Zadarov was the best Sabre on the ice. Can't say I'm surprised that the grizzled veteran coach prefers grizzled veteran players though
Old 11-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #140
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
When the Ducks played the Sabres I thought Zadarov was the best Sabre on the ice. Can't say I'm surprised that the grizzled veteran coach prefers grizzled veteran players though

My guess would be that he went to those vets and gave them one more chance to prove their worth to the team. I'd imagine if Stafford/McBain/Leino etc continue to struggle, they will be the ones in the press box next.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:21 AM   #141
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I agree with you about the lack of youth development but here we are, with Nolan about to coach his first game and look at who he's scratching:

Grigorenko
Larsson
Zadorov

Three of their premier young prospects. In their place: Ville Leino (BUST), Stafford, Flynn, and Jamie McBain.

Ugh.

Yeap. Grigorenko might have work ethic problems, but scratching him or putting him the 4th line isn't going to help his game. He had two goals the other night.

I think Zadorko needs to go back down to the OHL or play. Sitting him all the time isn't going to help him.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #142
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
My guess would be that he went to those vets and gave them one more chance to prove their worth to the team. I'd imagine if Stafford/McBain/Leino etc continue to struggle, they will be the ones in the press box next.

This...

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #143
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I was on a flight from Pittsburgh to Detroit today and was watching my weekly ACC training videos when the guy sitting next to me asked if I was an official. He asked me what conferences I worked in and how I got started in officiating.

He then introduced himself and said that he was a NHL referee in the 80s and 90s and now was currently a scout and observer of officials for the NHL. It was really great swapping officiating stories with him, he even told me a few about Kerry Frazier and Bill McQuery. He told me next time he is in Pittsburgh he will give me a call and take me into the locker room.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #144
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was on a flight from Pittsburgh to Detroit today and was watching my weekly ACC training videos when the guy sitting next to me asked if I was an official. He asked me what conferences I worked in and how I got started in officiating.

He then introduced himself and said that he was a NHL referee in the 80s and 90s and now was currently a scout and observer of officials for the NHL. It was really great swapping officiating stories with him, he even told me a few about Kerry Frazier and Bill McQuery. He told me next time he is in Pittsburgh he will give me a call and take me into the locker room.

That's awesome...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #145
Logan
Head Coach

Great story.

Tukka Rask was unbelievable last night. The Rangers inability to finish continues...
Old 11-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #146
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

You're going to wear a Hartnell jersey, right?
Old 11-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #147
gstelmack
Pro Starter

NHL concussion lawsuit filed by former players | Home Ice - SI.com

Much like the players in the NFL lawsuit who scream about safety but won't wear pads and get pissed off at fines, I'm not sure how a players' group that fought being required to wear helmets, then visors, has a leg to stand on here...
Old 11-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #148
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Ted Nolan is the best coach...for 12-24 months. He'll get Buffalo back to the playoffs by 15-16, if allowed to stick around that long.

Then, by that point, every player on the team will hate him, and they'll have to fire him again.

This is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #149
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Yes please

Will new TV deal lead to NHL version of NFL's Red Zone channel?

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 11-27-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #150
Logan
Head Coach

That would be pretty awesome.