Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-23-2005, 10:08 AM   #101
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Getting news from TV is such a quaint idea. Didn't realize people still do that (apart from disaster news) given the sound-bite/entertainment focus.

Never over-estimate the motivation of the "undecided" voter.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #102
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
You might want to re-read it, because I did, and you're wrong. Again.

Al Queda could easily be considered 2 as well as 4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1801
(2) a faction of a foreign nation or nations, not substantially composed of United States persons;
That's laughable. And even if it were true, you still have that whole pesky " (B) there is no substantial likelihood that the surveillance
will acquire the contents of any communication to which a United
States person is a party;" thing.

Quote:
But all of that really makes no difference, because FISA goes out the door when another statute allows the search. On September 18, Congress passed the Authorization to Use Military Force, which authorizes broad power to the President in defense of the country against terrorism. This section, along with the "special needs" exception to classic warrants, allows for warrantless searches. Quote -- the "reasonableness of a search" depends on "the totality of the circumstance"
You are like 5 days behind in your propaganda. Do you get Drudge snail-mailed to you? This is the rationalization Bush used a week ago. Not only is it ludicrous to assume that Congress made Bush a perpetual dictator on September 18, 2001, but members of Congress, including Tom Daschle as someone mentioned, have already said that that was not the intent.

Quote:
Attorney General Moschella sums it up very nicely when he wrote:

"Foreign intelligence collection, especially in the midst of an armed conflict in which the adversary has already launched catastrophic attacks within the United States, fits squarely within the 'special needs' exception to the warrant requirement. Intercepting communications into and out of the United States of persons linked to al-Qaida in order to detect and prevent a catastrophic attack is clearly reasonable."
Finally, an opinion and not a incorrect fact. Shocking that Bush's Assistant AG would be in favor of this. I don't know what the 'special needs' exception is. This seems to be the third legal rationale that you are using in a single post. But anyway, this guy's argument is a strawman. Nobody is advising against wiretaps for 'foreign intelligence collection' or 'interecepting communications into and out of the United States'. People are objecting to warrantless searches of American people, and these guy that 'sums it up' doesn't mention at all why it is necessary to go around the warrant process, which pretty much does sum it up, because nobody has been able to give a good reason.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 12:59 PM   #103
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

I'm not a Fox News watcher, but after reading this thread I turned it on for a bit to see if I could detect any type of bias. The program that was on was called Dayside. Their guest was John Gibson, author of The War on Christmas.

One of the things they talked about was a vote in the House regarding protecting Christmas symbols. They scrolled a list of Congressmen/women who voted against it and labeled it "Anti-Christmas Voters" (or something along those lines). Beneath that was the phone number to the House so you could call and voice your outrage.

If the five minutes or so of watching this is any indication of how Fox News normally is, I would definitely say it is treading to the right of center.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:07 PM   #104
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik
I'm not a Fox News watcher, but after reading this thread I turned it on for a bit to see if I could detect any type of bias. The program that was on was called Dayside. Their guest was John Gibson, author of The War on Christmas.

One of the things they talked about was a vote in the House regarding protecting Christmas symbols. They scrolled a list of Congressmen/women who voted against it and labeled it "Anti-Christmas Voters" (or something along those lines). Beneath that was the phone number to the House so you could call and voice your outrage.

If the five minutes or so of watching this is any indication of how Fox News normally is, I would definitely say it is treading to the right of center.
This will really blow your mind: John Gibson is a FoxNews host!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,1240,00.html
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:15 PM   #105
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Did anyone see Gibson go off on some fella named Rob Boston over the whole War on Christmas controversy? Man, that was comedy. He was even yelling at the guy on his side of the argument to pipe down. Good times.