Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-10-2008, 07:59 AM   #101
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
The UPS tracking info says my 360 was received at the facility 3 days ago, but it's not left the "I'm still waiting for your console" message when I check the status.

Frustrating.

I'd phone just in case something has gone wrong in the tracking of your system.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #102
dbd1963
High School JV

Alright, now get this -- I got my XBox360 back on Friday. Remember, I had gotten it back once before after sending it in for the RRoD. But when it came back to me, it would no longer play any DVDs. So back it went.

You can already guess what happened.. it didn't work. When I got it back, the power converter would not light up. When I sent it to them, the power converter was just fine. I've got reason to believe they did not send back the same converter. To my eye, it's a different shade of gray, but I can't be certain about that. What I can be certain about, though, is that the cables of the converter I sent them had lost their ability to neatly coil. I had a rough time getting all the cords into the box because of this. Yet the cables I received were so neatly coiled it was apparent that they'd never seen much time uncoiled. So I don't believe that was my converter I got back.

I called Microsoft and guess what? They were willing to replace the converter, but only if I sent them mine, at my expense. They don't have a little box to send, see, and they just can't do anything about that. Even if you talk to a supervisor. They are all just terribly sorry about the circumstances, but they don't have a way around them (or weren't willing to do what it would take to do something to make it happen).

So I suggested they just send me the big box again and I'd send them the whole kit. This they were willing to do, which surprises me -- surely that is going to cost them more?

So it's all going back to Microsoft service for the THIRD time in a row. Will they get it right this time?

Last edited by dbd1963 : 07-13-2008 at 04:58 PM.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:16 PM   #103
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Maybe.

But you'll have to ship back another RROD 360 before the end of '08.

Sucks man
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:57 AM   #104
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
A week before the release of NCAA, and last night I got the red ring of death.

This world hates me.

Well I have NCAA 09 and it I got the rings of death. All i can do is look at the fucking game
Old 07-15-2008, 12:59 AM   #105
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Does the towel trick violate the terms of service?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:16 AM   #106
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Does the towel trick violate the terms of service?

Nope. They can't tell you did it (assuming you don't fry your console to a smouldering pile of melted plastic). I "towel tricked" the hell out of my 360 after the first RRoD, and got it replaced with no problems.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:19 AM   #107
Groundhog
Coordinator

dola

And mine happened the very day I got Madden 08. In hindsight, I would have been best served sending the console off and throwing my copy of Madden in the trash without playing it even once.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:31 AM   #108
hawk4669
High School JV

Ours was the very day we got Rock Band. We sent it in, went to Vegas on vacation, got it back a day after getting home...and have been rock solid ever since.

Now that I know the jinx is in....I'll start packaging it up.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #109
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I am trying the trick as we speak. I hope it works atleast for alittle while.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #110
Groundhog
Coordinator

The trick had a 100% success rate for me, but each time I had to do it again the amount of time it lasted shortened. After the very first time I think I got about 4 or 5 days out of it, then it was about 2 days, then it was in increments of hours.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #111
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Just got my XBox back after loaning it to a friend while he was returning his for service for a RROD. I won't lie, I love having it back, but right now while I'm trying to do some multi-tasking, I'm playing UNO online, hahah. I can't wait to get back to the things I was playingbefore I lent it to my friend.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:35 AM   #112
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well, I just got my first RRoD 14 months in... day that NCAA came out. At least it lasted this long I guess...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #113
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Mine is shipping back today, should have it by the weekend. Will check to see if it's the same one I sent out.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:06 AM   #114
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Mine hit RROD on the day that I first tried out Mississippi State to get ready for our season. Actually though, as disappointed as I was, I have been very quickly impressed with Microsoft's customer service in getting the return set-up, now just hoping their time estimate of 2-3 weeks is right.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:17 AM   #115
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Actually though, as disappointed as I was, I have been very quickly impressed with Microsoft's customer service in getting the return set-up

Practice makes perfect.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #116
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Got mine back yesterday. Was the same machine. See you in this thread next June when it craps out again!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #117
bhlloy
Coordinator

OK seriously - has anyone else had problems with UPS being slow as hell with their system? Shipped on the 19th, and still in transit on the 23rd...what is this, horse and carriage mail?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #118
rjolley
College Starter

I've had a problem with UPS delivering a next day air package 4 days later and saying it wasn't their fault.

Other than that, I've got nothing.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #119
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
OK seriously - has anyone else had problems with UPS being slow as hell with their system? Shipped on the 19th, and still in transit on the 23rd...what is this, horse and carriage mail?

Hey man...

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #120
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Well, have an original release 360 (manufacture date 10-24-05) and got my first RROD. The unit was behaving oddly today as I was playing Bad Company and then the screen would just got pffft and look like a Nintendo NES screen when you just pull the cartridge out.

Cleared the cache, removed the hard drive and still the screen is freezing, but the RROD's are sporadic. I'd assume to return it you need a constant RROD? (guess I'll need to towel it then I suppose....)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:04 AM   #121
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Well, have an original release 360 (manufacture date 10-24-05) and got my first RROD. The unit was behaving oddly today as I was playing Bad Company and then the screen would just got pffft and look like a Nintendo NES screen when you just pull the cartridge out.

Cleared the cache, removed the hard drive and still the screen is freezing, but the RROD's are sporadic. I'd assume to return it you need a constant RROD? (guess I'll need to towel it then I suppose....)

Mine was sporadic (as in the RROD only appeared every 3rd time), but the system failed to even boot constantly. That was enough to get mine replaced.

I don't even think they check, to be honest. Just say "RROD", they'll ask you to try some stuff, tell them what you see when you get the RROD (even if it didn't happen that exact time... I'd recommend just leaving it on the RROD in the first place) and then they'll send you a box.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 08-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #122
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'd recommend just leaving it on the RROD in the first place) and then they'll send you a box.

FYI.....I don't believe that they send 360 'coffins' out anymore. If they do, it's only in rare cases where the consumer requests one. They started sending shipping labels to print out recently. You just print out the label and tape it to whatever box you use to ship the RROD 360. They did this to improve turnaround time. Instead of waiting on the box, you can ship it right away.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #123
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Who picks up the cost of the box now? The consumer?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:04 AM   #124
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Who picks up the cost of the box now? The consumer?

They will still ship one if you need a box. I think they just wanted to give people the option to get the repairs done quicker and, from what I've heard, most people are taking that option. It's a good move by MS IMO. Anything to give an upset consumer more options for quick resolution is a good thing.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:12 AM   #125
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
They will still ship one if you need a box. I think they just wanted to give people the option to get the repairs done quicker and, from what I've heard, most people are taking that option. It's a good move by MS IMO. Anything to give an upset consumer more options for quick resolution is a good thing.

Agreed, having both options available is a good move.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #126
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

So 4 months after my "new" xbox comes back from the RROD repairs...i get a disk reading error. I call xbox and they tell me that my warrant (they only extend it 3 months after RROD) is up so I have to pay $100 to get it fixed or get a new one.

I'm pretty pissed right now.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #127
Groundhog
Coordinator

Seriously, the 360 is such an awesome system in terms of game library (though it's evening out now) and the Live service (even if it aint free) - it's just a shame that the shoddy hardware and region locking ruined the system for me and drove me to PS3. I find it very difficult to say anything nice about the 360 (even what I wrote above pained me to type) after the troubles I had.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #128
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I wouldnt have a problem if it was a year since my last repair...but 4 fucking months!!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:17 PM   #129
wade moore
lolzcat

I got my replacement xbox a week ago.

The new one is dead.

What a fucking piece of shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #130
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I got my replacement xbox a week ago.

The new one is dead.

What a fucking piece of shit.

Sorry to hear that Wade.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:33 PM   #131
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I forgot I posted in here. I had a weekend of RROD's, thought it died and called on a Saturday to mail it back. I was going to go to UPS that Tuesday so, that Monday night I tried it and it worked fine and it was fine the rest of the week. I was tempted to send it back, but given issues people have been having with replacements I just kept it. That was 2 months ago and I've had no further issues. (which is a good thing because my 3 year mark is in 3 days so... )
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 10-21-2008, 07:15 AM   #132
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
(which is a good thing because my 3 year mark is in 3 days so... )

Dude, why even challenge karma like this?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #133
wade moore
lolzcat

The whole RROD thing is interesting.

I'm one of those that has brushed it off all of this time.

Now that I've gone through this personal experience it is an entirely different situation. The reasons for me getting a 360 were compelling (hell, the fact that I wouldn't have an FOFC NCAA league may be enough), but I think I'd go PS3 if I had to do it all over again.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 10-21-2008, 08:04 AM   #134
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The whole RROD thing is interesting.

I'm one of those that has brushed it off all of this time.

Now that I've gone through this personal experience it is an entirely different situation. The reasons for me getting a 360 were compelling (hell, the fact that I wouldn't have an FOFC NCAA league may be enough), but I think I'd go PS3 if I had to do it all over again.

It also shows one of the inherent failures of the Sony brass during this generation. I think that they assumed that a better product would sell itself if the other console had quality control issues. While that's a pretty good thought in theory, I think they underestimated the level to which consumers will go to save a buck despite the failure risk associated with that savings. The remorse only comes when/if that gamble fails.

I don't think there's any question that the PS3 would be winning handily over the 360 if it were price-equal with the 360. But that extra $100-150 difference might as well be a chasm at this point to most consumers. Most U.S. consumers are very price sensitive before risk is considered and Sony is learning that the hard way this generation. The NPD numbers from last month demonstrate that even more clearly.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-21-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #135
Flasch186
Coordinator

They could very easily capitalize on this with even a little bit of hardward marketing but instead they focus on game marketing and leave these issues to be exposed on blogs and geek sites.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #136
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dude, why even challenge karma like this?

In hindsight, it was not my intention to take a sharp stick and poke the karma gods in the eye with it so, for that, I am truly sorry.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:21 AM   #137
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I was surprised to see this article posted. Not because of the content, but because it was posted at the UK version of MSN.com..........

Iain Lee: Don't try this at home - Gaming | Articles – MSN Tech and Gadgets UK
Old 10-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #138
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

How did I know that openning this thread, I was going to see this every 3 posts.

Quote:
Mizzou B-ball fan
this message is hidden because Mizzou B-ball fan is on your ignore list.

I must be psychic.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:13 AM   #139
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
How did I know that openning this thread, I was going to see this every 3 posts.

I must be psychic.

There ought to be a rule against taking pot shots at someone that you supposedly are so willing to ignore. Pretty petty stuff IMO.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #140
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Old 10-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #141
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post

I must be psychic.
How did I know Sun Tzu was going to be a tool?

I must be psychic.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #142
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

*grunt*
Old 10-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #143
timmynausea
College Starter

Got my red ring of death two days ago. I bought it refurbished, so I'm not totally shocked, and it's still covered by the company I bought it from, so I can exchange it.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #144
heybrad
Norm!!!

Happy Halloween

heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #145
wade moore
lolzcat

Interesting thing is - my two "crashes" i never actually got the RROD, just would totally freeze and the Green light would stay on.

Quote:
Old 12-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #146
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI......good visual of how to identify a Jasper model Xbox 360 now that they've been released. No guarantees that you won't get a RROD with this chipset, but it definitely runs much cooler than its predecessor. Also, note that most of the Jasper chipsets currently in stores are Arcade 360's. Probably best to just buy one of those and then purchase a 120 GB HDD.

How to Spot a Xbox 360 with a Jasper and Why you Should - Loot Ninja

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-01-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:33 AM   #147
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
FYI......good visual of how to identify a Jasper model Xbox 360 now that they've been released. No guarantees that you won't get a RROD with this chipset, but it definitely runs much cooler than its predecessor. Also, note that most of the Jasper chipsets currently in stores are Arcade 360's. Probably best to just buy one of those and then purchase a 120 GB HDD.

How to Spot a Xbox 360 with a Jasper and Why you Should - Loot Ninja

I'm jaded on this.

I went through a TON of trouble hunting down the Falcon or whatever it was last year, and mine still died within 9-10 months. I'm now on my 2nd replacement and who knows what chipset it has.

Quote:
Old 12-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #148
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm jaded on this.

I went through a TON of trouble hunting down the Falcon or whatever it was last year, and mine still died within 9-10 months. I'm now on my 2nd replacement and who knows what chipset it has.

There's a lot of people who got burned that are going to be jaded well into the next generation. With that said, there are some people this fall who are willing to take the gamble due to the cost difference between the 360 and the PS3. So in those cases, it doesn't hurt to at least try to get the best chip available.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #149
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
There's a lot of people who got burned that are going to be jaded well into the next generation. With that said, there are some people this fall who are willing to take the gamble due to the cost difference between the 360 and the PS3. So in those cases, it doesn't hurt to at least try to get the best chip available.

Don't mind me, I'm just bitter .

Quote:
Old 12-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #150
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

It's not a RROD problem, but has anybody had any issues with the 360 and the internet connection? My FiOS is working fine, my laptop is connected to my router via wireless with no issues, my PS3 connects without issue (hardline to the router), my XBox 360 isn't connecting (hardline to the router, have tried swapping cables with the PS3 and swapping ports).

After all my shitty (pun intended) problems tonight all I want to do is watch 30 Rock on Netflix and stupid thing can't connect. Now I'm wondering if it's a sign of doom to come.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote