Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #101
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Anddddddddd....RendeR's in the box. Saw that one coming.

*SMH*
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #102
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #103
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
My favorite part was that he was right.

Too bad you had to remove the post. just makes you look like a bigger dipshit.
You now have a couple of weeks to consider whether you want to put up with the modding you so hate, too.

And yes. This was extremely predictable when the cool roy account showed up this afternoon. It was only a matter of time. That was a known alias of his from years ago at IHOF.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #104
Kodos
Resident Alien

HA has had his last sandwich.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #105
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Hmm...

1:05:02 pm [Ben E Lou]: this may be the moment many have waited for
1:05:30 pm [Ben E Lou]: in the "dear mr. gindin" thread....
1:05:32 pm [Ben E Lou]: Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (2 members and 0 guests)
Ben E Lou*, cool roy
1:06:30 pm [Ben E Lou]: if he posts, he's toast
Ben E Lou approves the account
1:24:48 pm [Ben E Lou]: i wonder if he's wanting to go out in a blaze of glory
1:25:17 pm [Ben E Lou]: post a big "FUCK YOU" thread or post
1:25:36 pm [Ben E Lou]: that seems more like his style *shurg*

Durn tootin'. Not a difficult one to call at all.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #106
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Fish. Barrel. Shoot.

1 banning, 2 in the box.

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #107
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

Much better pic would have been...

(Credit to cuervo for locating.)
Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #108
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
1:24:48 pm [Ben E Lou]: i wonder if he's wanting to go out in a blaze of glory

One last run to glory for Hell Atlantic:

Last edited by Kodos : 08-24-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #109
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Wow.

That's all I have to say about that...
Old 08-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #110
MrBug708
Head Coach

Term limits?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #111
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Wow.

That's all I have to say about that...

Wow at the banning, or at what HA did?

Posting under an alternate when you are boxed is a well-known autoban 'round these parts.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #112
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Wow at the banning, or at what HA did?

Posting under an alternate when you are boxed is a well-known autoban 'round these parts.

Not the banning, that was coming...but the boxings...
Old 08-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #113
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
My first question here is, were those posts reported? Generally no post is subject to banning/boxing without being reported first. (It's possible they were and no action was taken, I have no idea)

But generally, I don't think people immediately think to "report" posts when someone says something mean. So the de facto rule becomes "don't criticize mods", because nobody else seems to be sensitive enough, or otherwise have the inclination to make every criticism an administrative issue.

Ah well, same old shit. It's not too hard to stay on the right side of the boxings if that's what one wants to do, but I think all the resentment the mods create has definitely harmed the board over the years. They make it more interesting at times, sure, but I think it's been a long-term harm. You wouldn't think this place would be so difficult to control. The mods have become like bad parents. Their kids get a little out of control and they don't realize they created the monster.

Last edited by molson : 08-24-2010 at 01:54 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #114
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
But generally, I don't think people immediately think to "report" posts when someone says something mean. So the de facto rule becomes "don't criticize mods", because nobody else seems to be sensitive enough, or otherwise have the inclination to make every criticism an administrative issue.

Ah well, same old shit. It's not too hard to stay on the right side of the boxings if that's what one wants to do, but I think all the resentment the mods create has definitely harmed the board over the year. They make it more interesting at times, sure, but I think it's been a long-term harm. You wouldn't think this place would be so difficult to control.

+1

I know several folks who visit (and post) much less often then they used to for this reason. And I find myself disinclined to participate as much as well.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-24-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #115
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

Ah well, same old shit. It's not too hard to stay on the right side of the boxings if that's what one wants to do, but I think all the resentment the mods create has definitely harmed the board over the years. They make it more interesting at times, sure, but I think it's been a long-term harm. You wouldn't think this place would be so difficult to control. The mods have become like bad parents. Their kids get a little out of control and they don't realize they created the monster.

I was really trying not to get in on this discussion, but...

Do you really think that mod decisions have created a great sense of resentment? I think there are 5-10 users that get bitter about boxings and everyone else pretty much couldn't care less or just hate the drama that surrounds it for a few days.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #116
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Do you really think that mod decisions have created a great sense of resentment? I think there are 5-10 users that get bitter about boxings and everyone else pretty much couldn't care less or just hate the drama that surrounds it for a few days.

I'd put the number at higher than 5-10. But what also tends to affect things is who those users are - both positively and negatively.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #117
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I'd put the number at higher than 5-10. But what also tends to affect things is who those users are - both positively and negatively.

All I can say is that I have never had to alter my habits on the board because of mod decisions or the threat of mod retaliation.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #118
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
All I can say is that I have never had to alter my habits on the board because of mod decisions or the threat of mod retaliation.

no offense, but you're a poor example due to your blood-ties to a mod.

and also a small sample size.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #119
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I would say the lack of posts in this thread would indicate you are in the minority.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #120
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

We need to pinpoint a number, because the "Buffalo 5-10" doesn't have as good a ring to it.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #121
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I would say the lack of posts in this thread would indicate you are in the minority.

Lots of people have sprouted vaginas. If you aren't a fuckwad, you should not really have to change anything. If you throw around childish personal insults at mods, you will be punished. People need to get a grip on reality...then again this is a message board revolving around pretending you are the GM of a football team.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #122
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Lots of people have sprouted vaginas. If you aren't a fuckwad, you should not really have to change anything. If you throw around childish personal insults at mods, you will be punished. People need to get a grip on reality...then again this is a message board revolving around pretending you are the GM of a football team.

But here's the thing - why should people be allowed to throw childish personal insults at others with abandon, but if you throw one at a mod you get boxed? Or if you throw one that a mod happens to think has crossed a line then you're boxed?

The mods aren't any better or worse people than anybody else. If RendeR calls me a dipshit he doesn't get boxed for it. But if he calls SkyDog a dipshit he does?

That's whack.

And yes...that's the way it is...blah blah blah. Just because it's the way it is doesn't mean it's right.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-24-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #123
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

As long as Noop is still posting GIFs, I'll still have a reason to check in at FOFC.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #124
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I did a poor job of making my point. In the past when something like this has happened there have been a lot more people in the thread posting opinions about the situation. This time not so much. I don't think it is a coincidence.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #125
gkb
High School Varsity

Quote:

Edited to add that this is page 3 and we've had one ban and what, three in the box? That's pretty impressive.

Last edited by gkb : 08-24-2010 at 02:29 PM.
gkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #126
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
no offense, but you're a poor example due to your blood-ties to a mod.

and also a small sample size.

My blood-ties to a mod have nothing to do with it. I'm not an asshat, so I don't do asshaty things that get me boxed. Do I turn some people off by my behavior? Probably. If Wade were not a mod would I act any differently? Absolutely not.

Quote:

I'm not sure what your logic is here? A lot of people have posted, therefore people care? No one has posted, therefore there is less activity around this subject? It seems to me that this thread is filled with the same minority of people bitching, and the same minority of people standing steadfastly behind the mods.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #127
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
FOFC: Frequent drama llama hang-out.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #128
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
The mods aren't any better or worse people than anybody else. If RendeR calls me a dipshit he doesn't get boxed for it. But if he calls SkyDog a dipshit he does?

That's whack.

That seems pretty consistent with what I have observed in real life. Most people who directly challenge/insult someone in authority (be it at work, at the game, at a bar, etc.) get dinged harder and more consistently than if they just insulted Joe Schmoe sitting next to them. You yell STFU to some guy at a club, and the bouncer comes over to calm things down/break things up, and then you tell the bouncer to STFU, I'm guessing you'll be hanging with the trash cans in about 12 seconds.

I don't spend any time modding around here, other than trying to help people with technical issues (moving threads, log in issues, etc.), and very rarely discuss or am involved with any mod decisions, so I don't have any particular insight into the motivations for this or that banning/boxing, but what you described seems like a pretty obvious extension of how the real world works and really needs no explanation. It's common sense.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #129
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I think Lathum is just trying to say that there would be more of a reaction before if it felt like those reactions meant something. But a lot of people have realized that even voicing an opinion is immediately disregarded by the mods so it's one of those "don't like it, just going to have to deal with it" mentalities.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #130
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I did a poor job of making my point. In the past when something like this has happened there have been a lot more people in the thread posting opinions about the situation. This time not so much. I don't think it is a coincidence.

It's not. This is a good illustration that most of the more intelligent posters have been driven off at this point.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #131
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That seems pretty consistent with what I have observed in real life. Most people who directly challenge/insult someone in authority (be it at work, at the game, at a bar, etc.) get dinged harder and more consistently than if they just insulted Joe Schmoe sitting next to them. You yell STFU to some guy at a club, and the bouncer comes over to calm things down/break things up, and then you tell the bouncer to STFU, I'm guessing you'll be hanging with the trash cans in about 12 seconds.

I don't spend any time modding around here, other than trying to help people with technical issues (moving threads, log in issues, etc.), and very rarely discuss or am involved with any mod decisions, so I don't have any particular insight into the motivations for this or that banning/boxing, but what you described seems like a pretty obvious extension of how the real world works and really needs no explanation. It's common sense.

To some degree I agree with your analogy. It certainly is common sense and the way the world works in that regard.

I just don't see the need for that to be the case here. It's a different medium. Nobody is being directly threatened or put in danger or anything. It's all just words on a screen. Not even words being shouted at you. If you don't like it or it upsets you or something, turn your screen off and walk away. No permanant harm or even danger of any permanant harm.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me - remember that??

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-24-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #132
Ksyrup

Well, you can disagree with how Ben or anyone else moderates, but (a) once you determine a site needs mods, you've acknowledged the need for some semblance of order, and (b) once you're put on notice of how the mods operate, then you really can't complain when they act accordingly. It seems like everyone who has bitched for the past several years about modding decisions has made the same couple of complaints over and over. So, there's no use bitching about it anymore - the rules are well known.

I'm on a couple of other boards that are far more lenient than this one, and I've seen some pics I'd love to post here, but I don't do it because this board is different. I accept it. And I'd accept it even if I wasn't a mod. That's just the deal if you want to post here. The NSFW stuff gets posted and laughed/oggled at over on the other boards. {shurg}
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #133
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
We need to pinpoint a number, because the "Buffalo 5-10" doesn't have as good a ring to it.

LOL...nice one. I applaud it...ingenious.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #134
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

I would argue that the lack of posts in this thread indicates that the vast majority of people don't care enough to bother to comment either way.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #135
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
It's not. This is a good illustration that most of the more intelligent posters have been driven off at this point.

I would tend towards the thought that the more intelligent posters probably steer clear of threads like this.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #136
JediKooter
Coordinator

Maybe the thread title should be changed to: "How to Selectively Box/Ban Someone"?

Either way, I still like kittens.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #137
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I would argue that the lack of posts in this thread indicates that the vast majority of people don't care enough to bother to comment either way.

Seeing 2 boxings for calling out the mods basically tells everyone else to shut the hell up.

I am not going to say a word about the boxings other than...wow.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 08-24-2010 at 02:52 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #138
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

It'd be interesting to go back to one of the more active "drama threads" 4-5 years ago - I think a good number of the posters in those threads have either been banned by now, or have just stopped posting.

Eventually, all you have is mods, and those who come here just for Noop's animated GIFs. Which certainly isn't the end of the world - a message board is an organism and this one is definitely hitting old age.

Last edited by molson : 08-24-2010 at 02:57 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #139
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
It'd be interesting to go back to one of the more active "drama threads" 4-5 years ago - I think a good number of the posters in those threads have either been banned by now, or have just stopped posting.

Eventually, all you have is mods, and those who come here just for Noop's animated GIFs. Which certainly isn't the end of the world - a message board is an organism and this one is definitely hitting old age.

FOOL is worth coming around for.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #140
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Who had 3 boxings and a perma-ban in the pool?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #141
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I would tend towards the thought that the more intelligent posters probably steer clear of threads like this.

You are probably correct!
Old 08-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #142
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

If you are attempting to insult me as a mod with this statement, prepare to be BOXED.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #143
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'll never understand how so many people on this board act like teenagers when it comes to mods. Really who cares? Think hard, are they really taking anything away from this board other than pictures of women? These people are not banned(except that chode), two week boxings for comments that don't really add anything.

Anyways, I didn't even want to post in this thread, it's all teenage girl drama. But some of you whiners are something special. This from someone with admittedly major problems with authority.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-24-2010 at 03:14 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #144
lungs
Pro Rookie

I come into these types of threads just to remember who the mods even are.

Either way, to hell with them!
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #145
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
I think Lathum is just trying to say that there would be more of a reaction before if it felt like those reactions meant something. But a lot of people have realized that even voicing an opinion is immediately disregarded by the mods so it's one of those "don't like it, just going to have to deal with it" mentalities.

This is part of it. I also think people don't want to state their opinion because they don't want to be boxed.

I don't let the mods get to me one way or the other, you'll never see me lash out at them or criticize them, but it doesn't mean people shouldn't have the right to. Could Render have been more diplomatic, absolutely, but people have made far worse comments with nothing said or done about it and I think that creates a double standard, real or perceived.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #146
miked
College Starter

Quote:
This is part of it. I also think people don't want to state their opinion because they don't want to be boxed.

I don't let the mods get to me one way or the other, you'll never see me lash out at them or criticize them, but it doesn't mean people shouldn't have the right to. Could Render have been more diplomatic, absolutely, but people have made far worse comments with nothing said or done about it and I think that creates a double standard, real or perceived.

I think (as Radii pointed out) that most people don't want to state their opinion because they could probably care less. They are not the type to get boxed for being a bitch, so what do they care if a few asshats take a vacation. The point being, if you have a history of being an asshat, the smaller asshatish things will tend to get you boxed. There, I used asshate 3 times in 2 sentences.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #147
RedKingGold
College Starter

I smell a coup.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #148
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think (as Radii pointed out) that most people don't want to state their opinion because they could probably care less. They are not the type to get boxed for being a bitch, so what do they care if a few asshats take a vacation. The point being, if you have a history of being an asshat, the smaller asshatish things will tend to get you boxed. There, I used asshate 3 times in 2 sentences.

Very well put and I think just about everyone on this board would agree, no matter what the loud ones want to think. Most just don't give enough of a shit to post.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #149
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

We're discussing two different things.

My point is that in the past more people have voiced their opinions. It seems your point is the majority don't care either way.

Regardless, it is a pointless discussion I'm not all that interested in.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #150
Antmeister
Pro Starter

EDIT: bad precedent, Ant

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-24-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote