Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #101
tarcone
Coordinator

ISU: Always screwing me over. Now I know why I hate them. Well, I always knew and it killed me today in one of my brackets and the Top Gun game here.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #102
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That was the essence of a lucky shot for Georgia State
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #103
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So.. Did the insanity of the day take down fofc?
Old 03-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #104
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I love Ron Hunter
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:16 PM   #105
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
There are no perfect brackets left in the FOFC Colossal Squid group
Old 03-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #106
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow figured the Baylor game was over and stopped checking the score. I thought Baylor might be the only team from that conference to make it past round 3. what a choke job to lose to a small-school like that with such a big lead. Congrats to Georgia State however.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #107
molson
General Manager

I don't watch a lot of live sports but was lucky enough to catch both Georgia State's conference championship game and the game today. I also love Ron Hunter. The guy severely injuries himself celebrating one game with his son, and then awkwardly falls out of his chair and to the floor after his son's game winner the next game. You can't make this stuff up. I don't know who that lady was next to him the whole game that seemed to be in charge of making sure he didn't injure himself further, but I hope she gets a vacation after all this.

We had this little debate a couple of days ago but this is my favorite thing about the tournament - the little wacky stories from the wide diversity of schools that you'd never have a real window to without this tournament. I actually start to turn out when we get to the final 8.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #108
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
what a choke job to lose to a small-school like that
I know you're strictly speaking about school size in sports terms, but GSU is twice the size of Baylor from an enrollment standpoint.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #109
cartman
Death Herald

That was the Texas season in a nutshell. Played great defense, just couldn't get any kind of sustained offense.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #110
tarcone
Coordinator

I guess its a good day when ISU and Steve Alford lose. That would be a really good day for an Iowa fan.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #111
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
I know you're strictly speaking about school size in sports terms, but GSU is twice the size of Baylor from an enrollment standpoint.

I did not know that.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #112
QuikSand
lolzcat

College Basketball is just a better place with Larry Brown in it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:16 PM   #113
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I guess its a good day when ISU and Steve Alford lose. That would be a really good day for an Iowa fan.

Alford and son imitating the proverbial nuclear cockroach at the moment.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #114
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Good Lord, all of a sudden Bryce can't miss.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:19 PM   #115
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow, you gotta be kidding me. SMU handing UCLA a chance.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:21 PM   #116
bob
College Starter

I got my MBA at Georgia St - nice to see them get a win since GT can't be bothered to field a competitive team.

Fun note on Tech - they probably would have fired their coach this year, but they are still paying Paul Hewitt until the end of 2017 and can't afford to pay a third coach now. Speaking of Hewitt, George Mason just fired him. So now he's getting paid by two schools not to coach.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #117
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Radio guys making it sound like that goaltending call was bogus. Thoughts for those who saw it live?
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #118
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Radio guys making it sound like that goaltending call was bogus. Thoughts for those who saw it live?

Let's put it this way - if those refs were doing the 1983 championship game NC State would have lost due to a last-second offensive goaltending.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #119
bob
College Starter

To me at least, from the initial live TV sideline angle it looked like a bad call. But once they showed the overhead angle, it did look like it would have skipped off the back end of the rim if it hadn't been goal tended. In short, I think the ref got lucky.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #120
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Pretty bogus. Didn't look like it would hit the rim.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #121
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

I have not searched for a replay, but it was looked like it was going to be short st first glance.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #122
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
To me at least, from the initial live TV sideline angle it looked like a bad call. But once they showed the overhead angle, it did look like it would have skipped off the back end of the rim if it hadn't been goal tended. In short, I think the ref got lucky.

I think the "overhead" view was a little deceiving.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #123
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It was tough to tell. I tend to agree with bob's interpretation. The overhead angle made it look a lot more like it could have been goaltending.

Regardless, that shot was so bad, even Kobe said, "Man, I wouldna taken that."

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-19-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #124
bob
College Starter

I'll grant that the overhead angle could have been deceiving. But I think its gives enough circumstantial evidence to prevent any conclusive claim that the call was botched.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:55 PM   #125
mckerney
Coordinator

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:03 PM   #126
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Ole Miss never saw a three they didn't like.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:03 PM   #127
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, it actually hits the rim after the SMU guy touched it and he didn't really alter the ball path from what I could tell. But even if he forced it onto the rim by the slimmest of touches, he still touched the ball on its way down to the rim and to possibly heading over the cylinder.

Assuming he touched the ball at all. That part, I am still not sure of.

Kind of an awful way to lose AND win a game. And no one really at fault, even the refs. Just the way it went.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #128
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hmm, it actually hits the rim after the SMU guy touched it and he didn't really alter the ball path from what I could tell. But even if he forced it onto the rim by the slimmest of touches, he still touched the ball on its way down to the rim and to possibly heading over the cylinder.

Kind of an awful way to lose AND win a game. And no one really at fault, even the refs. Just the way it went.

If i'm a ref i'm not calling that. The kid clearly missed the shot. I'm not donating a win to a team on something like that. It changed the outcome. That's nutty to me.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #129
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
If i'm a ref i'm not calling that. The kid clearly missed the shot. I'm not donating a win to a team on something like that. It changed the outcome. That's nutty to me.

I agree. That was a crazy call to make, even if it is the right one.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #130
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Next year I gotta remember to check every roster for the presence of a coach's son before deciding upsets/chalk.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #131
nol
Banned

Not only that, what kind of angle do you think this guy had?

Old 03-19-2015, 05:17 PM   #132
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Clearly I am a genius for picking UAB.

Clearly my genius left me when I picked Baylor...in the Final Four.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #133
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

I had texas in the sweet 16 so ya know, we aren't that far off base
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #134
wade moore
lolzcat

The official NCAA tournament thread

+1 if that makes you feel any better CW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 03-19-2015 at 05:44 PM.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #135
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Scott Drew and Rick Barnes are who we thought they were.

Still a crazy call in UCLA/SMU, but it sure looks like the UCLA guy would've been able to lay that in to tie the game, and SMU got 2 shots off.

VCU playing dirty? Shocker.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-19-2015 at 05:50 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:55 PM   #136
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

I could be wrong, but my understanding of the goaltending rule is the ball has to be entirely above the rim and have a possibility of going in.

That ball had no chance.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #137
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Conversely, Baylor was a loss waiting to happen in my bracket, but Iowa state. Now that was a final four team.

Only one blemish on my bracket so far, but boy did it make a dent.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #138
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Still a crazy call in UCLA/SMU, but it sure looks like the UCLA guy would've been able to lay that in to tie the game, and SMU got 2 shots off.
Yep. While I thought goaltending should not have been called, I also think that if the whistle hadn't blown, the UCLA kid who rebounded had an easy shot to tie it up. It's a bit disingenuous for anyone to say the goaltending cost SMU the game.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #139
nol
Banned

Extremely impressive game from D'Angelo Russell with some nice defensive plays to go with the usual shooting and ball movement. I wouldn't be surprised if he's Rookie of the Year next year.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:12 PM   #140
miami_fan
Coordinator

I agree with what Reggie just said. Blow the whistle, call the players and the coaches together and deal with it that way.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #141
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I could be wrong, but my understanding of the goaltending rule is the ball has to be entirely above the rim and have a possibility of going in.

That ball had no chance.

Yeah, I don't know the rule either. I think push comes to shove though, the ball was coming down to the hoop and the guy jumped up to touch it. While it had virtually no chance to go in, he removed the possibility by touching it prematurely. Just a very weird play altogether.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #142
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Conversely, Baylor was a loss waiting to happen in my bracket, but Iowa state. Now that was a final four team.

Only one blemish on my bracket so far, but boy did it make a dent.

So VCU was in my sweet sixteen. My bracket is showing an alarming amount of red.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #143
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My son's (a March Madness fanatic) goal this year is not to miss a single game, apart from the today's earlier games because of school. Right now, he got three devices going at once including the March Madness Live app. He had an issue with that app and immediately got on the phone to call customer support.

He got Georgia State right but missed on VCU, SMU and ISU.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #144
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I have OKlahoma going into the elite 8 in one pool, after today's Big 12 showing - I'm a little worried.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #145
nol
Banned

Harvard was hanging in there for a while, but UNC is only going to need to score 50 or so points to win.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #146
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Major beat down going on. The streak of no 16 seed winning will continue for a little longer at least.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #147
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Harvard was hanging in there for a while, but UNC is only going to need to score 50 or so points to win.

I have seen this UNC game about ten times this year.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #148
miami_fan
Coordinator

Brutal last possession for Harvard.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #149
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Major beat down going on. The streak of no 16 seed winning will continue for a little longer at least.

Coastal Carolina plays tomorrow
Old 03-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #150
Thomkal
Head Coach

Too bad about Harvard, love it when the Ivy gets a win against the big boys. Can't see North Carolina going any further in the tourney with that performance (they will now win the whole thing)

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-19-2015 at 08:39 PM.