Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #101
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

MLB trade rumors was talking last week that it was because of their GM situation

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #102
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
So Strasburg is saying the Nats have not offered him a deal yet beyond the standard Minor League deal all teams must offer. I know the Nats have a month or so left, but how can this franchise already wait over a month without offering a deal? Just seems incompetent.

Boras is going to reject anything they offer right now anyway. As was pointed out, the less time they give Boras the less time he has to negotiate and bring his douchiness to the table.

Even if its just because of their GM situation I think its a pretty smart thing to do.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #103
Swaggs
Coordinator

Agreed.

Just shortens the window that allows Boras to play the Nationals and the media. I think the Nationals are playing it pretty well. They can use the GM excuse and it serves the purpose of not engaging Boras for as long a period of time.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #104
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Old point about Strasburg not being drafted.

I noticed Burrell was barely drafted out of HS(45th round IIRC). So it has come close to happening before.

The Pirates have signed many of their picks. And Sanchez was ripping up low A the last time I checked.

This waiting til close to the deadline so you can go overslot stuff is stupid.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #105
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
So Strasburg is saying the Nats have not offered him a deal yet beyond the standard Minor League deal all teams must offer. I know the Nats have a month or so left, but how can this franchise already wait over a month without offering a deal? Just seems incompetent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Agreed.

Just shortens the window that allows Boras to play the Nationals and the media. I think the Nationals are playing it pretty well. They can use the GM excuse and it serves the purpose of not engaging Boras for as long a period of time.

Two things here. First, everyone here is right. You need to remember this is Boras. For one, even if the Nationals have made an offer (which they actually say they have), who is to say he would have told Strasburg about it? Second, in that same interview, Strasburg seemed annoyed that the Nationals have not talked to him directly. Did he bother to read up on his agent before hiring him? Boras REFUSES to let a team talking directly to any of his agents. In addition, he normally pulls the "I won't deal with anyone but the owner" stunt (even though he won't let the team deal directly with the talent).

If indeed the Nationals HAVE made an offer to Boras and he hasn't made a stink about it in the media, that tells me they are handling the situation very well.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #106
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

The way I'm seeing it work out, is right before the deadline the Natinals come to Boras with an offer much bigger than anyone else has signed (but much smaller than Boras wants) and say take it or go to the independent league.

I doubt Strasburg will turn it down.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #107
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It's a deadly game to play for the Nats. This team has been one PR blunder after another and do you really want to get caught with your head in the sand considering how terrible the team already is?

Washington is barely off the 119 game loss pace the Tigs had in 03. If I were a player it'd sure make me think twice about signing with a team like that, considering how poor they've played, how boneheaded management has been and the fact they already let their #1 pick from last year go elsewhere.

I don't see them having the leverage others do I guess, because they need him more then he needs them.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #108
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but if you think you're getting sick money that isn't there every year (i.e. the Nats pony up, say, $20M), then going to independent league isn't that good of leverage since if he doesn't sign this year, he's going to be "damaged goods".

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #109
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Not signing is only beneficial to Boras. There is nothing but risk for Strasburg. Do the independent league thing and come back next year? Do the Japan thing and gamble that a lot of court battles will take you out of the draft pool (Selig has already said he would still be subject to the draft if he went to Japan). Risk injury doing either of those things? It doesn't seem smart for Strasburg. Let's assume the Nationals will go for a $20m contract. Is that not enough? Is that worth risking an injury in Japan or the independent league? I know people have done it, but they don't (to my knowledge) get more money the next year.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #110
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I know people have done it, but they don't (to my knowledge) get more money the next year.

Well, if the Mets keep sucking...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #111
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Well, if the Mets keep sucking...

That's a LONG hill to slide down. Not so much in where the Mets are at, but what a head start the Nats have.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #112
Logan
Head Coach

Think the Nats would take him again at #1/#2 next year?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #113
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...423/harrington

This right here is the reason I sign when the money is there..
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #114
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Think the Nats would take him again at #1/#2 next year?

He has to give them permission to draft him. The Nationals' first round pick LAST year, Aaron Crow, chose not to give them that option. I see no reason Strasburg would either.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #115
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Old point about Strasburg not being drafted.

I noticed Burrell was barely drafted out of HS(45th round IIRC). So it has come close to happening before.

This waiting til close to the deadline so you can go overslot stuff is stupid.
It happened fairly frequently, but that's where "1st/2nd-round talent" guys with perceived strong college commitments like Burrell (who was going to Miami) slid down well past their talent level. After about the 10th-15th round (mostly big-market) teams start taking fliers on these players in the slim hopes that seeing $1 million on a piece of paper changes their mind. The Red Sox always seem to have 2-3 ex-draftees reappear in the top couple rounds, including your Pedro Alvarez who they picked 14th round and offered 800k out of HS. They offered a guy from the 17th round last year $2.5-$3 million but he went to Kentucky instead. Strasburg is a fairly unique case where he wasn't even regarded as a pro prospect coming out of HS and barely got a college scholarship offer. Albert Pujols is the closest case of late-bloomer I can think of, but still slightly different in that nobody knew him coming out of HS/CC when the Cards picked him 13th round, but he was 4th in MVP voting 2 seasons later.

Blame Selig for the silly wait until August 15th charade. The RS almost certainly have deals with 3-4 players overslot that they're just waiting until that day to announce.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-17-2009 at 01:38 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote