Old 03-12-2008, 07:06 AM   #101
Zelig
Mascot

Psuedo Echo - Welcome Back
Zelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #102
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm really enjoying that Sia album, beginning to end.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:07 AM   #103
korme
Go Reds

It's not new or anything, but I've been playing the living hell out of Room on Fire by the Strokes
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #104
korme
Go Reds

Yesterday at BB picked up:

The Hush Sound - Goodbye Blues
Panic at the Disco - Pretty. Odd.

I'll be reporting back after the initial listens that are about to go down.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #105
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That Panic At the Disco CD was all the buzz on the Jelly-L when the single came out about 2 months ago. I've heard bits and pieces and really like it. Apparently it's nothing like what this band was before, which makes sense, because I've never heard of them before now. Very Jellyfish/McFly/Feeling, lots of Sgt. Peppers/orchestration all over it. I'll probably get it very soon if the entire album is like that. Please post your impressions of it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #106
korme
Go Reds

That is what scares me though, Ks, I love love LOVED their first album. It was so unique and up-tempo and this is supposedly right out of a Beatles album - which isn't bad, I mean, it is the Beatles, but still that's completely different from what the first experience was.

Then again, reminds me of when the Killers 2nd album was said to be a big change and very Springsteen-esque, but I ended up loving that album as well. So I will find out shortly.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #107
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, I think I may have actually found something I like out of one of these threads. From a real quick listen, Panic At The Disco sounds pretty good...though if I didn't know better I would suspect I was listening to Fallout Boy. The lead singers sound an awful lot alike.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #108
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Wow, I think I may have actually found something I like out of one of these threads. From a real quick listen, Panic At The Disco sounds pretty good...though if I didn't know better I would suspect I was listening to Fallout Boy. The lead singers sound an awful lot alike.

I agree with the Fallout Boy thing. I listened to the newest album, and haven't heard them before. To me it sounded like a more dancier Fallout Boy, which I liked.

edit: Apparently I was listening to the 1995 release.

Last edited by MikeVic : 03-28-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #109
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

Which album did you listen to?

Just had my first run through, I need to go listen to it again before I reveal how I feel about it!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #110
korme
Go Reds

Ok, listened to Pretty. Odd. twice since 4:30. I am biased, I liked the first CD a lot. That said, I liked it and it was very Beatley, eerily Beatley! It was good and I'm going to end up liking/playing it a lot, I just wish it wasn't so different from A Fever You Can't Sweat Out. Though I think this sound might appeal to a wider majority. Pretty good I suppose.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #111
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Which album did you listen to?

Just had my first run through, I need to go listen to it again before I reveal how I feel about it!

I didn't listen to a full album, I just listened to "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage" and "Nine In The Afternoon". Both were pretty good.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #112
Ksyrup

I don't know much about Panic, but I do know they are signed to the dude from Fallout Boy's label. But I don't know anything about Fallout Boy, either, other than they are some form of punk, so I'm not interested. Only reason I'm interested in this new Panic is the Beatles thing. I gotta grab the whole thing and give it a spin.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-27-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #113
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Yesterday at BB picked up:

The Hush Sound - Goodbye Blues
Panic at the Disco - Pretty. Odd.

I'll be reporting back after the initial listens that are about to go down.

I liked The Hush Sound's last album, so I checked it out after I saw this post.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:58 AM   #114
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dola --

I'm listening to:

Kenna - Make Sure They See My Face (if you like N.E.R.D./The Neptunes, they produced this and he's a childhood buddy of theirs. The track "Say Goodbye To Love" is the lead singer and it's a good pop song. The guy is all over the place musically. It's pop-rock, but he's a singer and it's heavily reliant on beats, but...it's hard to pigeonhole. You'll either like it or hate it. But it's good work and he's a talented guy.

The Black Keys - Attack & Release - They left their basement production studio and let Danger Mouse help them out. It's their normal singing style and it's good stuff from these guys, but it does sound a lot more polished and a lil' less grimy. But they're still at the top of their game.

What Made Milwaukee Famous What Doesn't Kill Us - Solid rock music worth checking out, I think. Haven't listened to it more than once yet, but it's excellent from what I notice so far.

The Raconteurs - Consolers Of The Lonely - Haven't listened to it straight through yet. But...sounds promising, though nothing earthshattering.

Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple - Not as good as their debut LP, but still spastically awesome.

Kathleen Edwards - Asking For Flowers - Canadian country here. My favourite track is "I Make The Dough, You Get The Glory." It references Marty McSorley. Can't beat that.

Nicole Atkins - Neptune City - She's a Jersey Girl and that makes me happy. Umm...she's got a really big voice for indie rock and she likes to use it. Umm....it's not going to knock your socks off, but I think she's an up-and-comer and she's got talent. The album needs to marinate, but I think it's a good release worth checking out.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-28-2008 at 02:07 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:59 AM   #115
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I didn't listen to a full album, I just listened to "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage" and "Nine In The Afternoon". Both were pretty good.

The first one is from the debut album, the lead track and the exact example of what I was talking about fast-paced and uppity, the last one is from the sophomore, and it also is a great representation of the entire cd, much poppier and what not.

BTW DC having just listened to the new Hush Sound, I know you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by korme : 03-28-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:05 AM   #116
hawk4669
High School JV

I'm listening to a lot of Against Me! right now. I know not everyone will apprecite them....but Tom Gabel's voice evokes so much passion that they cannot be denied.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:08 AM   #117
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4669 View Post
I'm listening to a lot of Against Me! right now. I know not everyone will apprecite them....but Tom Gabel's voice evokes so much passion that they cannot be denied.

Cheers!
I like that track "Americans Abroad." It's sweet. But you're right, can't take that voice for a whole album.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:07 AM   #118
HerRealName
College Prospect

The stuff I like...

Times New Viking - Rip it Off - They may rip off the low-fi sound of fellow Ohio band Guided By Voices but this is excellent. If you don't mind a CD that sounds like it was recorded in someone's basement on a four track (because it was) this is highly recommended.

The Black Keys - Attack + Release - Another good Ohio band. I think it's officially out on Tuesday but I like this one the first couple times through.

The Whigs - Mission Control - They opened for DBT when I saw them and I was impressed enough to pick up their CD. I really like it, they're out of Athens I think.

The Dexateens - If you don't mind some twang in your rock, this is highly recommended. I have this one right behind the Drive-By Truckers CD so far in my early best of 2008 list. I'm pretty sure the Dexateens were on my 2007 year end list as well but I didn't even know they were planning on releasing another so soon. They've gone the Radiohead model and are making it available on the Internet so it is free to check out...

http://www.dexateens.net/
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:59 PM   #119
korme
Go Reds

iTunes says this is my fourth time going through Pretty. Odd. right now and I'm really coming around on it and liking it a lot. What I couldn't get around with The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me compared to Deja Entendu with Brand New, I am ok with this transition Panic has made. Have you picked it up yet Ks?

Last edited by korme : 03-31-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:23 AM   #120
whomario
Pro Starter

I like it (Panic at the disco), too. Only thing you should not do under any circumstances is play one album after the other, that really spoils it because there is that part that was in awe of the power of the first album and then is kind of disapointed.
The new one is good imo, but it definitely hasn´t got that "swagger" on it if that makes any sense.

Right now i happen to listen to a couple of those new british female artists, amy macdonald and Adele in particular. Incredible promising voices, though especially Adeles album is damn raw and seems rushed (just not enough quality songs).

Nada Surfs new album still rotates daily basically, big time record.

I´ve also been listening quite a bit of David Bowie after i stumbled across Heroes again after years of not playing it. Great stuff, especially the title track is incredible even after all this time (there´s a good live version of it on youtube, too)
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:50 AM   #121
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I´ve also been listening quite a bit of David Bowie after i stumbled across Heroes again after years of not playing it. Great stuff, especially the title track is incredible even after all this time (there´s a good live version of it on youtube, too)

Station to Station has been making my playlist recently...it sounds like cocaine. And maybe Mick Jagger's dong. But in a good way.

{backs out of thread slowly}
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #122
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4669 View Post

Cheers!

Against Me! opened for the Foo Fighters, and I found them OK, but nothing special. Not someone I could find listening to an entire CD of.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #123
Ksyrup

Not sure when it drops, but the new Testament - the first with Skolnick since the early 90s - is surprisingly solid. They kinda came back from the death metallish stuff of the late 90s and are back to the 80s/early 90s sound. You can tell it's been awhile since they released an album, though - there's a 9/11 song on here.

Also, the new Mesuggah is kicking my ass. You can tell they've been influenced by touring with Tool...first song especially, sounds like Tool doing technical thrash. Couple of songs on here are just monstrous.

New album by Torche called Meanderthal that I think fans of Queens of the Stone Age might like. I think it's going to be the metal/hipster crossover album of the year (or a contender, anyway), sort of like The Sword last year. I don't love it, but I can see why it will probably be popular with the indie crowd.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #124
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Ann Wilson - Hope & Glory. She has been and still is my favorite rock singer of all time. This is her first solo effort, came out last Fall and available on iTunes. It is an album mostly of covers, many with duets. Her version of Led Zep's Immigrant Song is one of the most popular songs on iTunes in 2007. Here's a list of contributors:

Hope & Glory features guest appearances from Elton John, k.d. lang, Alison Krauss, Gretchen Wilson, Shawn Colvin, Rufus Wainwright, Wynonna Judd and Deana Carter. Ann's sister, Nancy, also contributed.

Here are the tracks:
  1. "Goodbye Blue Sky" with Nancy Wilson (Written by Roger Waters - Popular version by Pink Floyd)
  2. "Where to now St. Peter" with Elton John (John/Taupin - Elton John)[2]
  3. "Jackson" with k.d. lang (Leiber/Wheeler - Lucinda Williams)
  4. "We Gotta Get Out of This Place" with Wynonna Judd (Mann/Weil - The Animals)
  5. "Immigrant Song" (Page/Plant - Led Zeppelin)[2]
  6. "Darkness, Darkness" with Nancy Wilson (Jesse Colin Young - The Youngbloods)
  7. "Bad Moon Rising" with Gretchen Wilson (Fogerty - Creedence Clearwater Revival)
  8. "War of Man" with Alison Krauss (Neil Young)[2]
  9. "Get Together" with Nancy Wilson, Deana Carter & Wynonna Judd (Powers - The Youngbloods)
  10. "Isolation" (Lennon)[2]
  11. "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall" with Rufus Wainwright & Shawn Colvin (Dylan)
  12. "Little Problems, Little Lies" (Ann Wilson)
Plus a bonus track of Paul Simon's American Tune.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #125
Ksyrup

Quote:
iTunes says this is my fourth time going through Pretty. Odd. right now and I'm really coming around on it and liking it a lot. What I couldn't get around with The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me compared to Deja Entendu with Brand New, I am ok with this transition Panic has made. Have you picked it up yet Ks?

I haven't gotten through it all yet. So far, it's OK. What's interesting is that I'm able to listen to it without all of the baggage that comes with them. I've never heard this band or Fallout Boy before, so all I know of these bands is what I've read. I'm coming to this with a pretty clear mind. I'm liking most of it - it's like a poor man's attempt at doing what Daniel Johns did a couple of albums ago, but not as good. It'll be interesting to see if they stick with it like Silverchair did, or whether they crash and burn like Avenged Sevenfold did after they hit a HR and then went off the deep end.

Biggest obstacle for me is the guy's voice... first, it's WAY too high in the mix and overshadows a lot of the ornate stuff they're doing with the music - it comes off as a solo album or something, and I don't think this guy deserves "diva status" (nor is it appropriate for a rock band setting). And second, the quivering vibrato is grating. I assume that's one of those "generational" things that proves I'm turning into an old man. It's like listening to Archuleta's wheezing - when you notice it, it's pretty distracting.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #126
Ksyrup

PING: CAM!

WOW! This album is awesome. Proggy pop in the vein of XTC/Squeeze, with a Yes or maybe Neal Morse feel. Some shiny moments like Paul Steel, too.

From Spin:

BRYAN SCARY AND THE SHREDDING TEARS

Up-and-coming psychedelic genre-benders freak out, man. By Larry Fitzmaurice 03.31.08 11:39 AM
Bryan Scary and the Shredding Tears

What's the Deal? Don't let their name spook you: Bryan Scary and the Shredding Tears may be strange fellows, but their music is meant to elicit joy, not terror. On their exquisite second effort, Flight of the Knife, which drops in record stores this week, Scary and his Tears tear through '50s teen pop conventions ("Imitation of the Sky"), stately British pop in the vein of XTC ("Venus Ambassador"), and glammed-out prog rock ("The Purple Rocket") with recklessly organized aplomb.

Who? Multi-instrumentalist, songwriter, and lead vocalist Bryan Scary wrote and recorded almost all of his debut record, The Shredding Tears, all by his lonesome (save for drums, which were handled by Apollo Sunshine's Jeremy Black). For touring purposes, Scary assembled a cracking backing band (keyboards/vocalist Mike Acreman, bassist/vocalist Dave Ostrem, drummer Brian Bauer, guitarist/vocalist Graham Norwood) and dubbed them "the Shredding Tears," later recording the sky-sighted song cycle Flight of the Knife with them.

Fun Fact: Bryan Scary and the Shredding Tears have a rapidly growing fan base, including notorious gossip blogger (and rumored record label honcho to-be) Perez Hilton, who says Scary is "incredibly talented." Photoshop that in pink paint onto a publicity photo!

Album is streaming at http://www.flightoftheknife.com/.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #127
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
PING: CAM!

WOW! This album is awesome. Proggy pop in the vein of XTC/Squeeze, with a Yes or maybe Neal Morse feel. Some shiny moments like Paul Steel, too.

From Spin:

BRYAN SCARY AND THE SHREDDING TEARS

Up-and-coming psychedelic genre-benders freak out, man. By Larry Fitzmaurice 03.31.08 11:39 AM
Bryan Scary and the Shredding Tears

What's the Deal? Don't let their name spook you: Bryan Scary and the Shredding Tears may be strange fellows, but their music is meant to elicit joy, not terror. On their exquisite second effort, Flight of the Knife, which drops in record stores this week, Scary and his Tears tear through '50s teen pop conventions ("Imitation of the Sky"), stately British pop in the vein of XTC ("Venus Ambassador"), and glammed-out prog rock ("The Purple Rocket") with recklessly organized aplomb.

Who? Multi-instrumentalist, songwriter, and lead vocalist Bryan Scary wrote and recorded almost all of his debut record, The Shredding Tears, all by his lonesome (save for drums, which were handled by Apollo Sunshine's Jeremy Black). For touring purposes, Scary assembled a cracking backing band (keyboards/vocalist Mike Acreman, bassist/vocalist Dave Ostrem, drummer Brian Bauer, guitarist/vocalist Graham Norwood) and dubbed them "the Shredding Tears," later recording the sky-sighted song cycle Flight of the Knife with them.

Fun Fact: Bryan Scary and the Shredding Tears have a rapidly growing fan base, including notorious gossip blogger (and rumored record label honcho to-be) Perez Hilton, who says Scary is "incredibly talented." Photoshop that in pink paint onto a publicity photo!

Album is streaming at http://www.flightoftheknife.com/.

Seen these guys a couple times, and should be seeing them again in a couple weeks when a buddy's band opens for them. Their live show is something. Good stuff, though.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #128
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Nice! I also have to say I'm really impressed with the new Panic at the Disco album. It's growing on me with every listen.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #129
korme
Go Reds

Just picked up Kenna's sophomore album - Make Sure They See My Face.

Here's Rolling Stone's review - *** out of 5

Quote:
You can't mention Ethiopia-born Kenna Zemedkun without mentioning his producer (and high school classmate) Chad Hugo, the Neptunes dude you don't see every other minute on BET. On Kenna's second album, as on his first, Hugo's production and his buddy's New Wave croon add up to a sound that's almost unique -- twenty-first-century romance that touches on hip-hop, synth-pop and neosoul. The songs aren't terribly memorable, but several cuts offer imaginative mash-ups: On “Sun Red Sky Blue,” Kenna belts out a first-rate chorus over a beat built on syncopated scratch guitar, evoking classic U2, only funkier. “Say Goodbye to Love” -- one of two songs produced by Hugo's partner Pharrell Williams -- finds Kenna moaning like an Eighties Brit boy over wonky, hooky electro bounce. Who knows whether this'll be the hit the first album wasn't. For now, call it one to grow on.

Vid for his second single "Say Goodbye to Love"

Old 04-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #130
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Just picked up Kenna's sophomore album - Make Sure They See My Face.

Here's Rolling Stone's review - *** out of 5

It's really good. I heard it after seeing him on Letterman last month and thinking (wrongly) that it was an N.E.R.D. track. It's a really good pop song, infectious and simple..but it works. The entire album is really out of this world. It's not all melded together "nicely" but Kenna himself is a bonafide talent.

Other tracks on the album I liked were Baptized in Blacklight (which will sound like a U2 track and it happens a lot on this LP), Sun Red Sky Blue is another favourite, as is Out of Control (State of Emotion)
Old 04-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #131
korme
Go Reds

That is where I heard him too, you probably thought it was a NERD track because Phrarrell and Chad Hugo were there, and produced this album
Old 04-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #132
korme
Go Reds

After listening to Make Sure They See My Face a few times, I have to say it's one of the those albums that just puts me in a good mood. It's nothing earthshattering, but I like it.

While I'm here I need mention that I want someone's review of The Odd Couple by Gnarls.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:24 AM   #133
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
After listening to Make Sure They See My Face a few times, I have to say it's one of the those albums that just puts me in a good mood. It's nothing earthshattering, but I like it.
That's how I felt about the first one. It has its moments, but its mostly a pleasing album to have on in the backround when you're studying or doing something else. Hard to really classify too, because he switched up from song to song.
Quote:
While I'm here I need mention that I want someone's review of The Odd Couple by Gnarls.
DC's got a quick one 10 posts up - "Not as good as their debut LP, but still spastically awesome."

EDIT - after hearing like half of each album, Sun Red Sky Blue is a phenomenal track, and I'm also falling in love with Going On off GB's. Love Hate Sensation and Run are other song(s) I really like from each album.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 04-11-2008 at 05:08 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #134
Landshark44
High School Varsity

soundgarden
killers
offspring
rage against the machine
jay z/ linkin park ep
nickelback
limp bizkit

those are the bands i've been listening to the most, lately.

can anyone recommend some new music to me, based on that.....?

thanks...

Last edited by Landshark44 : 04-11-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #135
MikeVic
Head Coach

Audioslave? lol.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #136
Landshark44
High School Varsity

i have some audioslave on my ipod....

stone temple pilots
nirvana
pearl jam
u2
everclear
smashing pumpkins
blink182

i'm just tired of all of it. i just don't know what to get......
Old 04-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #137
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I accidentally ran into a band earlier today called the Carolina Chocolate Drops. They're a string band from North Carolina and they're pretty fresh, hip and if you're into bluegrass/americana then you should check them out. Their most recent album is called Dona Got A Rambling Mind. It's just excellent music.

Here's some video, if you're into that.

I think I might like Heavy Heavy Low Low's Everything's Watched, Everyone's Watching. I haven't decided yet, tho.

Headlights release Some Racing, Some Stopping is quite good indie pop-rock if you're into female fronted gumdrop pop in the vein of say...Camera Obscura. (I couldn't think of another comparison off hand. And that one might not even be as accurate. These guys are more upbeat)

Hayes Carll released Trouble In Mind and it's just straight up country rock, but on the alt.country side of the house since it's not coming from Nashville. It grows on you.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-11-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #138
Butter
Coordinator

I hate Panic at the Disco. More specifically, that guy's voice. Just grates on me. Can't get around it.

Can't stop listening to Vampire Weekend's album, though... as pretentious as it is, it is mesmerizing to me. Also, those recommending Band of Horses earlier in this thread, thanks. Enjoying that album a lot.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #139
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tapes n' Tapes released Walk It Off and my initial take on it is that it's not as good as The Loon, but it's still pretty good music.

DeVotchKa's A Mad and Faithful Telling is excellent, because it's so genre-busting. Think what Beirut (a one-man act with occasional help) does, only something so much better because the orchestration is melodic and dynamic, making the singing all the more vibrant as a result. I'm enjoying Blessing In Disguise and Comrade Z is damn good musicianship.

Be Your Own Pet's Get Awkward doesn't quite cut it. It doesn't have any of the charm of their first album.

Does It Offend You Yeah?'s You Have No Idea What You're Getting Into does nothing for me. I tried to buy the hype and hoopla and it doesn't offend me and maybe I really don't know what I'm getting into, but..it just doesn't work for me.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-11-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #140
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
soundgarden
killers
offspring
rage against the machine
jay z/ linkin park ep
nickelback
limp bizkit
stone temple pilots
nirvana
pearl jam
u2
everclear
smashing pumpkins
blink182

i'm just tired of all of it.

I think I've pinpointed the problem. With the exception of Killers (unless you're referring to the Iron Maiden album), this list of bands would have been stale by about 1998 or so. I'm not exactly up on the latest trendy music, but even I look hip compared to you!
Old 04-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #141
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
soundgarden
killers
offspring
rage against the machine
jay z/ linkin park ep
nickelback
limp bizkit

those are the bands i've been listening to the most, lately.

can anyone recommend some new music to me, based on that.....?

thanks...

The Black Keys
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
What Made Milwaukee Famous
Year of the Rabbit
The Receiving End of Sirens
TV On The Radio
Dredg
Editors
Misery Signals
Otep
Protest the Hero
Arctic Monkeys
The Roots
Interpol
Wax On Radio
Incubus
Machine Head
The Raconteurs

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-11-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #142
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I hate Panic at the Disco. More specifically, that guy's voice. Just grates on me. Can't get around it.

That's about where I've come down on this, although I really like the instrumentation enough, and they show enough promise, that I don't hate them.

I've heard that the guitarist/drummer write most of their music. If that's true and they really want to pursue the style they have on Pretty. Odd., they'd do well to can that guy and find someone who doesn't sing with the emo equivalent to the Stapp/Daughtry voice.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #143
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
I think I've pinpointed the problem. With the exception of Killers (unless you're referring to the Iron Maiden album), this list of bands would have been stale by about 1998 or so. I'm not exactly up on the latest trendy music, but even I look hip compared to you!

so true, thats why i'm desperately asking for help....

thanks, darkcloud. i'll check out the bands on your list....
Old 04-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #144
Ksyrup

Yeah, DC is the man around here for up-to-date music. I can't help you much unless you want metal, power pop, or Beatlesque singer/songwriter.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-11-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #145
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
so true, thats why i'm desperately asking for help....

thanks, darkcloud. i'll check out the bands on your list....

You won't like them all, but if you find one you like..it'll help me perhaps suggest other junk you'll like too.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #146
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
The Black Keys
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
What Made Milwaukee Famous
Year of the Rabbit
The Receiving End of Sirens
TV On The Radio
Dredg
Editors
Misery Signals
Otep
Protest the Hero
Arctic Monkeys
The Roots
Interpol
Wax On Radio
Incubus
Machine Head
The Raconteurs

Arctic Monkeys, Incubus, Raconteurs, and TV on the Radio I think for sure. I'll maybe add Foo Fighters, Finger Eleven, and Wolfmother.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #147
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

good call on Foo Fighters.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #148
AlexB
Pro Starter

Not chipped into this yet this year, so my latest:

Los Campesinos - Hold On Youngster. Just plain excellent, fun, jaunty music. (Check out the EP Sticking Fingers Into Sockets as well, a bit of crossover with the album, but still excellent).

The Heavy - funk/soul/rock, which ends up working depsite a lull in the middle of the album

Blood Red Shoes - mixed stuff again, but they have a couple of killer songs (I Wish I Was Someone Better, You Bring Me Down)
Does It Offend You Yeah? - not in any way shape or form: a great album.

MGMT - not sold by the whole album, but please, if you only listen to one new song this week, make it Time To Pretend. Sheer class.

Avenged Sevenfold - uncomplicated but very good metal: apparently more commercial than their previous stuff, but never having known them before this album, doesn't bother me.

And a bit of a wildcard, especially after a metal band, I have a song called Hot Tears by Sarabeth Tucek which I can't stop listening to - I really need to find more of her stuff.

From this thread I'll definitely look up the Tapes N Tapes album (loved The Loon)

Landshark - try The Answer: throwback rock that you might like, or maybe even the aforementioned Avenged Sevenfold.

Last edited by AlexB : 04-11-2008 at 06:52 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #149
Ksyrup

Avenged Sevenfold caught lightning in a bottle with their last CD, City of Evil. It's a terrific metal CD that combines 80s-style guitar riffs with emo vocals. But the latest album is a huge disappointment, and at points, a complete embarrassment. That song towards the end (track 9, I think?) is funny beyond the point of laughing, to the point of being sad. At its best, it's fairly standard metal along the lines of Godsmack, but those are the highlights. If you like it, you should check out City of Evil - much better.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #150
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Avenged Sevenfold caught lightning in a bottle with their last CD, City of Evil. It's a terrific metal CD that combines 80s-style guitar riffs with emo vocals. But the latest album is a huge disappointment, and at points, a complete embarrassment. That song towards the end (track 9, I think?) is funny beyond the point of laughing, to the point of being sad. At its best, it's fairly standard metal along the lines of Godsmack, but those are the highlights. If you like it, you should check out City of Evil - much better.

Cool, I'll check it out. (FWIW I really like track 9 I don't actually think there's a bad song on the album)

Edit: sometimes hard to tell, but iTunes snippets of City of Evil seem promising, especially the opener & latter half of the album

Last edited by AlexB : 04-11-2008 at 07:08 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote