Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #101
MikeVic
Head Coach

I thought the right people were kicked off based on their solos. The actual performance show wasn't bad, but the first episode was still better overall. The Mia Michaels routine was ok, but not awesome. And I don't like Tony Basil as a judge. I still like Philip/Jeanine the most I think. Melissa/Ade have been solid and are creeping up to my second favourite pair. Still like Jeanette, and like that she likes numbers. Kayla and Kupono were a nice new pair.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #102
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah, Toni Basil was a bit strange. Not only wasn't she very good as a judge, but coming off the high energy and animated Mary, it was like watching death speaking.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #103
Ksyrup

As long as they keep Kayla and the chick with the dark hair who has done modeling on the show, I'll be happy.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #104
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
As long as they keep Kayla and the chick with the dark hair who has done modeling on the show, I'll be happy.

The acting one? If so, that's Jeanine. She danced in the last pair and has a pretty face. Kayla has done modeling.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #105
Ksyrup

Yeah, I think she is Phillip's partner.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #106
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, I think she is Phillip's partner.

Yup that's her.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #107
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Big plus 1. They are definitely my favorites. The dancing was so much better in the first week, I wonder if they gave all of the contestants more time to learn their 1st routines than subsequent weeks.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #108
MikeVic
Head Coach

I like Karla's dimples a bit too.

I think they said something about Monday being a special Michael Jackson tribute??
Old 06-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #109
Ksyrup

That's the AI top 13 show they are repeating. Nothing to do with SYTYCD.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:12 AM   #110
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
That's the AI top 13 show they are repeating. Nothing to do with SYTYCD.

Ahh, thanks.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:20 AM   #111
wade moore
lolzcat

Finally caught up.

It's a travesty imo that Vitolio is still in this competition. As I said earlier, he is an example of them pushing story through, rather than talent - and usually they don't do that.

I can only hope that he's in the bottom 3 again this week, and really there's no reason he won't be - he's clearly the worst male dancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #112
Ksyrup

Dancing aside, I was just happy the dude who looks like David Archuleta was sent packing.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #113
Ksyrup

FYI:

Quote:
Nigel is twittering more detail right now–he says song clearance issues will keep the special from happening this week. It look like the plans are becoming more ambitious than just a group routine:
  • At the same time as auditioning we’re trying to put together a major tribute to him Michael’s music works in every dance genre for the show
  • Mia has chosen the song she likes, we’ve spoken to Wade. I’ve left messages for Paula. I’ve spoken to Shane. We have to make this happen!!?
  • There is a problem clearing Michael’s music at the moment. We are trying to make contact with Sony to get clearance on an all Michael SYTYCD
  • If we can make this ’special’ happen it is thanks to many of you “Tweeters” out there who all had the same idea. “Twitter-Power” is awesome!
  • Don’t get carried away everyone. It won’t be the NEXT show these things take time to organize, clear and choreograph. I’ll keep you posted.
This started as Nigel wanting Paula Abdul to choreograph a group number to an MJ song and now has turned into something bigger. Possibly.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #114
wade moore
lolzcat

Yeah..

I had never used Twitter and SYTYCD has me hooked on it.

I have:

Nigel
Mary Murphy
Mia Michaels
Brian Friedman
Tabatha and Napolean
Lil' C
Adam Schankman
Lacy Schwimmer
Courtney Galiano

All on there.. I was seeing all of this stuff by Nigel last night and was very intrigued.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 06-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #115
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Yeah..

I had never used Twitter and SYTYCD has me hooked on it.

I have:

Nigel
Mary Murphy
Mia Michaels
Brian Friedman
Tabatha and Napolean
Lil' C
Adam Schankman
Lacy Schwimmer
Courtney Galiano

All on there.. I was seeing all of this stuff by Nigel last night and was very intrigued.

I have Courtney and Lacy on mine... what are the name of the other ones?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #116
wade moore
lolzcat

HOTtamaleTRAIN / Mary Murphy
MMRAW / MIA MICHAELS
NAPPYTABS / Napoleon and Tabitha
brianfriedman / Brian Friedman

IVREAL_IVEVER / William B. Wingfield

MrTravisWall / Travis Wall
LaceySchwimmer / Lacey Mae Schwimmer
cgdancer612 / courtney galiano
benjidance / Benji Schwimmer
kingofkrump / Lil' C
adammshankman / Adam Shankman
dizzyfeet / Nigel Lythgoe

Looks like I missed a few in my original list - that's cause they never tweet so I forgot I had them.

Quote:
Old 06-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #117
MikeVic
Head Coach

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #118
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

just caught up with the results show tonight. It went as expected. Sorry to see Ashoka go, but very pleased that they finally got rid of A-Rod
Old 06-30-2009, 04:45 AM   #119
wade moore
lolzcat

Found this:

So You Think You Can Twitter? | So You Think You Can Dance Ism: Your #1 Source for Everything SYTYCD

Quote:
Old 06-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #120
MikeVic
Head Coach

Chelsie!
Old 06-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #121
wade moore
lolzcat

Courtney >>> Chelsea >>>>>>>> Anyone this season

Quote:

Last edited by wade moore : 06-30-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #122
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Courtney >>> Chelsea >>>>>>>> Anyone this season

Courtney==Chelsie >>>>> Anyone this season
Old 07-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #123
Ksyrup

This show rarrely suffers from American Idol Producer Syndrome, but last night's Mia Michaels/Brandon thing really set me off. That was about as transparent an attempt at furthering a pre-written storyline as even AI would dare try. It was easy because Brandon was good last night, but he could have crapped in the middle of the floor and Mia would have praised him.

I'm sorry, but her issues with him appeared to go far beyond just demonstrating his ability in a single dance, so I didn't really buy her comments, except other than what they were - one of the storylines they are intent on carrying through this season.

That aside, good show last night. The alien thing was too bizarre to really consider whether the dancing was any good. I think that's one of those routines where the idea puts you in the bottom 3 regardless of the dancing. Also, that should have been a 90 minute show. We watched all 2 hours in maybe 65 minutes, tops.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #124
wade moore
lolzcat

Interesting.. I was going crazy about the AI Producer Syndrome about a completely different thing. I see where you're coming from on the Brandon thing, but in theory her opinion is also based on the previous 4 dances. I think Brandon has shown very well so I don't think it's that far-fetched to think she has shifted her opinion.

I don't necessarily think you're wrong, I just don't think it's that far out of the realm.

For me it was this:

You're telling me that in almost 100 episodes, with probably over 1,000 dances, you have your first classical ballet and your first classical ballet dancer pulls it out of a hat?! Seriously. You expect me to believe that? You think I'm THAT naive?

Quote:
Old 07-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #125
MikeVic
Head Coach

Finally watched last week's episodes... There were a few really good dances, and right now my top three pairs go something like Jeanine/Philip, Melissa/Ade, Jeanette/Brandon. I don't mind Kupono, but I don't understand at all why he's still kept in this thing. He should've gone home over Max the first time, and Vitolio should still be here. Kupono's solos are waaaay too feminine, which was a concern of the judges since auditions. Which means he hasn't improved really, so why is he still here. Caitlin's alien thing was more masculine than Kupono's solos.

I also can't believe Jeanine and Philip were in the bottom three. What the hell. The two staged things you guys mentioned didn't bug me a lot. I didn't notice the Mia/Brandon thing as a produced storyline until you mentioned it. But then again I'm not great with catching those kinds of things. The ballet thing was a lot more fishy to me though. But I'd rather see Melissa nail it than have someone else attempt it. Ade still performed well in it I thought. I'd like to think that the success of ballerinas on the Canadian and Australian shows (and now Melissa on the American show) is what prompted Nigel to include the dance.

Katie Holmes seemed out of left field for me lol... interested to see how that goes down.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #126
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Not just Melissa's ballet, but all of the favored dancers getting styles that they were good at in the first week and fourth week makes me think that while they pick from a hat, there is only 1 style in each person's hat. I've had that suspicion in previous seasons, but this season makes me more convinced that something like that is true.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-05-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #127
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm not sure... Brandon got the cha cha (although Jeanette is salsa, it must've been hard for him), and Kayla got jazz I think? I thought she was contemporary. Also, Philip got hip hop but was still in the bottom three. Call me naive, I just didn't see it until it was pointed out here. As I said above, the only time I thought that was with Melissa/Ade... and I thought they nailed their dances the first three weeks that they weren't in trouble this week no matter what, so maybe that's why they just gave them Melissa's strength.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:34 AM   #128
Ksyrup

Since we watch these shows after being recorded nearly every time, I really don't know - do they show them picking out of a hat anymore? I know they used to in previous seasons, but I haven't seen it this year. I think that's just because I FF through everything but the dances/critiques, though.

I was also shocked about Phillip/Jeanine and stunned that people put the alien impregnantor routine through. Picking who was going to go was easy, though, since the other 2 couples were good (well, except Kapuono, but I got the sense they wouldn't put his partner through having a third partner this soon, so Vitolio had to go).
Old 07-06-2009, 08:20 AM   #129
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Since we watch these shows after being recorded nearly every time, I really don't know - do they show them picking out of a hat anymore? I know they used to in previous seasons, but I haven't seen it this year. I think that's just because I FF through everything but the dances/critiques, though.

I was also shocked about Phillip/Jeanine and stunned that people put the alien impregnantor routine through. Picking who was going to go was easy, though, since the other 2 couples were good (well, except Kapuono, but I got the sense they wouldn't put his partner through having a third partner this soon, so Vitolio had to go).

They rarely show them actually picking from a hat this year, but they do now and then.

I'm not sure what is up with Phillip/Jeanine. They sailed through on popularity on bad weeks, but get in the bottom 3 on a good week. I felt like America got the bottom 3 completely wrong this past week.

Side note on Phillip/Jeanine - the more I watch, the more I think she's the most attractive girl in my book. :shurg:

Quote:
Old 07-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #130
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
They rarely show them actually picking from a hat this year, but they do now and then.

I'm not sure what is up with Phillip/Jeanine. They sailed through on popularity on bad weeks, but get in the bottom 3 on a good week. I felt like America got the bottom 3 completely wrong this past week.

Side note on Phillip/Jeanine - the more I watch, the more I think she's the most attractive girl in my book. :shurg:

They very rarely show the pair actually picking out of a hat anymore, that's true. I think on the first episode they showed it the most?

I agree with you on Jeanine. They didn't show her on the auditions at all... then when I saw her with Philip, I couldn't believe how pretty she was (considering they gave her face no camera time before that). Her story about the teddy bear being a good boyfriend was so cute. And her not realizing what she said at first about having chains in the apartment was so funny. Nice smile, pretty face, and a good dancer. She's really the only one that compares with Chelsie, Kherington, and Courtney from last season (with Kayla close behind).
Old 07-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #131
Ksyrup

I knew Caitlin was going home; mildly surprised to see Philip go, but now that he's on the tour, it doesn't matter. That was his purpose all along - to be pure entertainment, doing what he does best.

I really liked how Nigel - out of the blue, for no reason I really understood - came clean about the fact that they already know who is in the bottom and basically make up their minds who is staying/going well before the show, and perhaps the "dance for your life" will change their minds if it is close, but otherwise, it's a done deal. It almost felt like a shot at AI, given how much crap AI took for choreographing the "sing for your life" portion of the show - kind of a "we do something similar, but here's the truth of it so you know we're not like them" moment. That's the way it felt to me, anyway. Athough, I don't know why he felt the need to make that comment at this particular point in the show...? Maybe because he knew they were sending Philip home, but also knew Philip would kill the solo?
Old 07-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #132
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah I thought it would be Caitlin and Jason. Or Kupono. I thought Philip's solos would be good enough to avoid elimination for the first few times that he had to.

I think they included the top 12 also because it's such a close race this year. Interesting to hear Nigel say the thing about basically having made up their mind already.

As for the performance show, I thought it was pretty awesome. Brandon and Jeanete probably had one of the best pair of dances I've ever seen. And that Russian Folk dance was just brutal lol.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #133
Ksyrup

Nigel was particularly brutal about the Russian folk thing right after they danced. I'm not sure if he was OK with the style but didn't expect the choreographers to have given them something so literal, or what. He did a good job of panning it without calling out the choreographers. I wonder if they were in the audience. Ouch.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:36 AM   #134
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Nigel was particularly brutal about the Russian folk thing right after they danced. I'm not sure if he was OK with the style but didn't expect the choreographers to have given them something so literal, or what. He did a good job of panning it without calling out the choreographers. I wonder if they were in the audience. Ouch.

Yeah, they didn't show the choreographers even once after the dance.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:48 AM   #135
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

no question about it; I would love to...well, you get the idea. also a much better dancer than her ex-partner, and I think she may really take off now that she has a new partner (which was happening this week regardless).

sorry to see Caitlin go, but it was the right choice. not as sorry to see Phillip go, but he did at least improve quite a bit from the beginning. in a related note, early on they were making me happy by not letting the losers speak at the end of the show. I wish they'd get back to that.

Brandon seems to be the clear frontrunner at this point with Ade and Janette probably the next best two...but I don't think it's really close. He is mega annoying when he isn't dancing though and that might hurt him in the voting late when it's down to just a couple of dancers.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:16 AM   #136
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
no question about it; I would love to...well, you get the idea. also a much better dancer than her ex-partner, and I think she may really take off now that she has a new partner (which was happening this week regardless).

sorry to see Caitlin go, but it was the right choice. not as sorry to see Phillip go, but he did at least improve quite a bit from the beginning. in a related note, early on they were making me happy by not letting the losers speak at the end of the show. I wish they'd get back to that.

Brandon seems to be the clear frontrunner at this point with Ade and Janette probably the next best two...but I don't think it's really close. He is mega annoying when he isn't dancing though and that might hurt him in the voting late when it's down to just a couple of dancers.

Agreed with all of this. I think Brandon is clearly the most talented dancer, but I'll be surprised if he wins it. I think Ade is the favorite to win it, he has the best combination of likability and talent.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #137
MikeVic
Head Coach

Some site has spoilers as to the new pairings in case anyone wanted to be spoiled:

Spoiler
Old 07-17-2009, 04:53 AM   #138
JeeberD
General Manager

So I watched Wednesday's show last night, and I could swear I saw some actual lip locking going on at the end of Jeanine and Jason's dance. Did anyone else see that or is my perverted mind making things up?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:56 AM   #139
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
So I watched Wednesday's show last night, and I could swear I saw some actual lip locking going on at the end of Jeanine and Jason's dance. Did anyone else see that or is my perverted mind making things up?

No, it definitely happened. I think Caitlin (sp?) also really kissed him earlier in the year. Also, I was happy with the results, I think the right 2 went home last night.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-17-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:25 AM   #140
Ksyrup

Didn't get to watch the actual performance show, just watched last night. Easy choice to get rid of those two. Starting now, the cuts become more difficult, although it appears Evan is going to last far longer than he should.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #141
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
...also a much better dancer than her ex-partner, and I think she [Janine] may really take off now that she has a new partner (which was happening this week regardless).

looks like I was right on with this. really, really surprised to see Ade in the bottom two.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #142
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Didn't get to watch the actual performance show, just watched last night. Easy choice to get rid of those two. Starting now, the cuts become more difficult, although it appears Evan is going to last far longer than he should.

I don't agree with this. Even is a crowd favorite for sure, but he has done everything asked of him and done it well. He isn't the best dancer left, but he also isn't the SYTYCD version od Sanjaya,
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #143
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

So, does this show beat out Obama PR appearance tonight in ratings war? It'll be interesting to watch.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #144
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Does SYTYCD get good ratings?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #145
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Does SYTYCD get good ratings?

Well, it's pretty clear from this article that most people would rather watch anything but a presidential news conference. The ratings on network TV for the Obama news conferences have been declining with each appearance. His appearance on ABC recently drew less than some infomercials.

TVGuide.com Poll: Viewers Prefer Regular Shows to Obama

Both episodes of SYTYCD generally appear in the top 20 shows every week even when they are going up against the big ratings winner in their time slot, 'America's Got Talent'. Without that competition, it should do extremely well tonight.

List Of Top 20 Shows In Prime-time Nielsen Rating - CBS News
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #146
mh2365
H.S. Freshman Team

Second dance of Melissa and Ade last night may have been the most beautiful and emotional thing I have ever seen on TV
Old 07-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #147
mh2365
H.S. Freshman Team

Wish they would have told us ahead of time that they were just playing a Katie Holmes Video ... they made it sound as if she was going to be there live ... very misleading and disappointing. Should have guessed with Nigel though since only about 25% of the performances on the Idol kick off shows are live on the same night as the broadcast
Old 07-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #148
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh2365 View Post
Wish they would have told us ahead of time that they were just playing a Katie Holmes Video ... they made it sound as if she was going to be there live ... very misleading and disappointing. Should have guessed with Nigel though since only about 25% of the performances on the Idol kick off shows are live on the same night as the broadcast

Er.. They said all along that it was recorded?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #149
mh2365
H.S. Freshman Team

I never heard it all along they said Katie Holmes on the 100th show ... such a downer after such a great night the night before
Old 07-25-2009, 12:35 AM   #150
MikeVic
Head Coach

Just watched this past week. Some nice dances, and of course the breast cancer one was good. Ellen was a funny judge. I didn't mind the lack of true judging from her as she actually made me LOL.

The 100th episode was a great idea. I want like an entire season of just the first 4 season highlights. I also was under the impression Katie Holmes would be dancing live. Even the dancing was disappointing to me, but I was impressed by the singing. I think I expected way too much, given the talent this show has.

Also, JANETTE GOING HOME!?!? After the Wednesday episode, I was confident that Janette and Brandon would be the best girl and guy. Seeing them in the bottom two was just wow, and after Janette was actually voted off, if Brandon had followed I might have just taken a small break from the show. If it wasn't for the breast cancer dance, Melissa was so going home. Her solo sucked and the other dance was eh.