Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #101
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

and a result of all these firings is that Baseball Tonight is now dead.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #102
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

At some point maybe just go ahead & change their branding to All Football (with some NBA) All The Time Network.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:51 PM   #103
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
"Russillo and Kanell" today is Adnan Virk and Randy Scott. Smart move to not put someone like Russillo in front of a mic after yesterday.
Russillo just posted the following tweets

Last edited by Arles : 04-27-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #104
miami_fan
Coordinator

Add Marc Stein and Henry Abbott to the list.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:00 PM   #105
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
and a result of all these firings is that Baseball Tonight is now dead.

I used to love Baseball Tonight. But then again that was 15 years ago.

They basically nuked their podcast division.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:55 PM   #106
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think the lack of available information "back in the day" lead to many of us becoming generic sports fans because I was willing to watch 60 minutes of a show just to catch the stuff I was truly interested in.

Once it became a lot easier to focus on the stuff I cared about, it was far easier to avoid the stuff I didn't, which then meant my lack of connection to those other sports kept me from ever deciding to even casually tune in.

So from my early teens I basically transitioned from generic sports fan to NFL excusive fan. I then eventually left all that behind for mostly European soccer. These days I'm a Major League Soccer and USMNT fan only basically.

When you have no exposure to something you basically don't give a shit. You just don't know what you're missing.

So much of my info comes straight from the internet or the paid annual subscription to a specific thing at this point that I am just radio silent stuff on the stuff I don't really care about - which just reinforces my lack of interest in it.

I can definitely see stuff changing a lot in the next decade when TV contracts collapse.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:14 AM   #107
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Add Marc Stein and Henry Abbott to the list.

+ Chad Ford
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:20 AM   #108
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jeez they're firing a lot of people I like. Like Dilfer was pretty solid.

At least Jim Bowden and his dumb haircut are gone.

They better cut Kiper after the draft.

Last edited by stevew : 04-29-2017 at 01:23 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:36 AM   #109
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
I think the lack of available information "back in the day" lead to many of us becoming generic sports fans because I was willing to watch 60 minutes of a show just to catch the stuff I was truly interested in.

Once it became a lot easier to focus on the stuff I cared about, it was far easier to avoid the stuff I didn't, which then meant my lack of connection to those other sports kept me from ever deciding to even casually tune in.

So from my early teens I basically transitioned from generic sports fan to NFL excusive fan. I then eventually left all that behind for mostly European soccer. These days I'm a Major League Soccer and USMNT fan only basically.

When you have no exposure to something you basically don't give a shit. You just don't know what you're missing.

So much of my info comes straight from the internet or the paid annual subscription to a specific thing at this point that I am just radio silent stuff on the stuff I don't really care about - which just reinforces my lack of interest in it.

I can definitely see stuff changing a lot in the next decade when TV contracts collapse.

Yeah, I think this hits the nail on the head pretty well when it comes to the ESPN/Sportcenter model.

In an era when I can hear about and see a highlight of any game or play I'm interested in within 30 minutes of it happening, what do I need to watch Sportscenter for? And when I can get analysis and feedback from at least 3 or 4 sites online within a few hours of something happening why am I watching or listening to some talk show talking about something that happened a couple days ago?

In our house we've gone from 6-7 years ago watching SC religiously to see what happened that day in sports to maybe flipping it on at bedtime to see if top 10 might be on in the next 10-15 minutes and then turning it off again. Seems like they had their time, it was great but they didn't adapt to the times and they will just be another big company that gets obsoleted.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:34 AM   #110
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The appeal for Sportscenter for me was that I was able to keep up with and see highlights from everything all in one spot, with very little in the way of editorializing. I knew who was who in the NHL, knew what was going on in baseball, etc. It was a cozy feeling, like I was talking sports with a friend every night before bed. I loved baseball tonight. I loved all the sports content when it was actually about sports. Sure you can watch highlights anywhere now, but it's not the same as having a one stop shop. I don't want to go here and there and track down highlights for sports I only follow in a limited manner. I still want to know what is happening though. I don't watch college basketball, baseball, NBA basketball, or Hockey now. I don't know who is doing what, and most of that is because ESPN stopped being about sports.

Now its all bullshit human interest stories and gossipy bickering back and forth. I'm not into arguing for ratings. I hate it. I don't even watch the news because its all the same now too. You can't find any positivity on tv anymore, anywhere unless it is prefaced by some retarded story about how someone overcame the odds. There's no peace for the sake of peace anymore in the world.

I want so badly to have a place to catch the highlights all in one place again and take me away from the bullshit about Trump that fills the airwaves or the stupid ass reality TV and other bullshit that is on TV now. I don't even miss tv since I stopped having it, and I think that's a shame. I would have never cut the cord 20 years ago.

It's like how the Olympics are shown here vs how they are shown in a foreign market like Great Britain. Over there it is about the sports, about the events. About the athletics. Over here its about how X overcame a rough childhood to become a olympian. They're not showing the events, they're talking about the people who will be in the events more than anything. Fuck that shit. Give me my escape. Let me forget about how petty this fucking planet is.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 04-29-2017 at 02:42 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:55 PM   #111
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post

100% right here. Back 'in the day' I knew a lot more about the NBA or the NHL. Even backed the local team a bit because I had some knowledge about it.

Now? Pfft, I have little to no clue about those sports. I'll watch the Hawks when the local pub has them on TV, but I don't know anything about them really. And the NHL? Even less knowledge of that (every once in a while I'll check to see if the Devils made the playoffs in the last 2 years).

I've even started to lose focus on the NFL, and it's gotten easier to pay less attention to it because, through the internet, I can choose not to watch or listen to that info, and I won't randomly come across it because I have to get through it to get to the stuff I really like.

As of right now, I'm mostly a fan of MLS, European soccer, national team soccer, and college football. Baseball has entered second tier for me. Everything else is tertiary. And I can isolate my sports intake to those few sports.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:29 PM   #112
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
100% right here. Back 'in the day' I knew a lot more about the NBA or the NHL. Even backed the local team a bit because I had some knowledge about it.

Now? Pfft, I have little to no clue about those sports.

Question for you & cthomer (I think that's the starting point for this in the thread): do you play any of the current NBA/NHL video games?

I ask simply because I have no real interest to speak of in the NBA but probably know those teams better than I do the arguably more interesting (potentially, at leaset) to me MLB. That's entirely based around what I know / need to know for gaming purposes.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-29-2017 at 11:29 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:49 PM   #113
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Question for you & cthomer (I think that's the starting point for this in the thread): do you play any of the current NBA/NHL video games?

I ask simply because I have no real interest to speak of in the NBA but probably know those teams better than I do the arguably more interesting (potentially, at leaset) to me MLB. That's entirely based around what I know / need to know for gaming purposes.

I don't. Video games are definitely a big 'in' for people though - probably can make a case that FIFA video games helped younger folk get into soccer.

Though NBA Playgrounds is coming out for the Nintendo Switch and I may pick that one up... but that's because I loved NBA Jam back in the day (It's kind of an NBA video game, but kind of not, if you get my meaning). I did used to play the NHL games (some of them) on the Sega Genesis in the 90s, but not since then.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:01 AM   #114
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Yeah, I think this hits the nail on the head pretty well when it comes to the ESPN/Sportcenter model.

In an era when I can hear about and see a highlight of any game or play I'm interested in within 30 minutes of it happening, what do I need to watch Sportscenter for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
The appeal for Sportscenter for me was that I was able to keep up with and see highlights from everything all in one spot, with very little in the way of editorializing. I knew who was who in the NHL, knew what was going on in baseball, etc. It was a cozy feeling, like I was talking sports with a friend every night before bed. I loved baseball tonight. I loved all the sports content when it was actually about sports. Sure you can watch highlights anywhere now, but it's not the same as having a one stop shop. I don't want to go here and there and track down highlights for sports I only follow in a limited manner. I still want to know what is happening though. I don't watch college basketball, baseball, NBA basketball, or Hockey now. I don't know who is doing what, and most of that is because ESPN stopped being about sports.

Now its all bullshit human interest stories and gossipy bickering back and forth. I'm not into arguing for ratings. I hate it.
+1 to Julio here... I know I *can* check each teams Twitter page or MLB.com reel for tonight's highlights, but I liked being lazy & having it available to me in one place with minimal effort.

I know they spun off ESPNNews to kind of be that, and realize that viewing habits have drastically changed, but I do wonder if ESPN has hastened their own demise with their political/pop culture heavy pivot.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:20 AM   #115
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't. Video games are definitely a big 'in' for people though - probably can make a case that FIFA video games helped younger folk get into soccer.

Though NBA Playgrounds is coming out for the Nintendo Switch and I may pick that one up... but that's because I loved NBA Jam back in the day (It's kind of an NBA video game, but kind of not, if you get my meaning). I did used to play the NHL games (some of them) on the Sega Genesis in the 90s, but not since then.

I know NBA Jam well enough to know what you mean there, yeah.

The gaming connection (or lack thereof) just kinda struck me while reading your comments. The games are the thing that differentiate your current ... relationship (?) to some of those sports vs my own.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #116
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think you guys are hitting it on the head. With sports TV, it's like a poll came out in an area that said everyone's favorite food is Thai. So, 7 Thai joints showed up within a mile of each other and are now complaining about business. I get that the around the horn, PTI, first take debate shows get some ratings, but that doesn't mean every show needs to be like that. The only show I'll watch consistently on ESPN is the SVP sportscenter, but even that isn't as often because it is so late. If the 6 PM was like that format, I'd watch it more often.

I remember watching the same sportscenter 3 times in one day when I was younger, now I'll watch SVP twice a week at most. Heck, even when I am interested in some debate/analysis (post NFL draft) but ESPN (and even the NFL network) spent half their time debating if Joe Mixon should have been taken and telling me how some kids with tough backgrounds made it to the draft.

Sports TV needs some "comfort food" programs where they just show highlights with some witty banter. Everything now is either loud screaming about the most recent outrage issue or a deep dive on a blind kid with one arm who's playing QB for a D3 school.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #117
Kodos
Resident Alien

Back in the day, NFL Primetime was my favorite highlight show. An hour of highlights with Chris Berman and Tom Jackson (before Berman became a caricature of himself).
Old 05-01-2017, 01:20 AM   #118
stevew
Hall Of Famer

ESPN forgot that most people don't want arugula on their burgers. That we don't need brie in our eggs. That the vast vast majority of people don't give a shit about Caitlin Jenner, which athletes we're protesting the anthem and which player is endorsing which candidate. We just want sports. All of that shit is available elsewhere.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #119
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
ESPN forgot that most people don't want arugula on their burgers. That we don't need brie in our eggs. That the vast vast majority of people don't give a shit about Caitlin Jenner, which athletes we're protesting the anthem and which player is endorsing which candidate. We just want sports. All of that shit is available elsewhere.

That's my feeling too, but here there seems to be just as much sentiment that TV highlights and sports commentary are obsolete in the internet age. Seeing that, you can at least understand why ESPN went in that direction. There's basically three kinds of content for them to balance - 1. pop culture/politics stuff (which most of us here dislike, but which must generate interest/viewers at some level, 2. highlights and sports commentary (obsolete), and 3. live sports coverage (ungodly expensive). There really is no easy path for them.

Last edited by molson : 05-01-2017 at 08:53 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #120
Logan
Head Coach

I would just go straight ESPN classic across all of their networks for a portion of the day. Old games, old drafts, etc.

If I'm working from home, I'd be much more likely to have ESPN2 on in the background if there is a particular old baseball game that interests me vs what ESPN Classic is showing.

Of course, I assume midday ESPN Classic ratings stink currently. But I'm clearly not the target market since I can't stand any of the debate shit.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #121
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

It's not all firing and laying off.

Looks like Woj is going to ESPN.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #122
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Getting rid of Abbott, Stein and Ford opened up some spots for Woj.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #123
superelkman
n00b

I find this phenomenon interesting. I used to watch ESPN and Sportscenter WAY more than I wish to admit. Now, I never watch sportscenter any more and only occasionally check out a game on ESPN.

To be honest, my exodus was due to being sick of having stuff I disagree with shoved down my throat. When I turn on a sports channel I want highlights, games, and perhaps a non-political documentary or two. I don't want to be told how heroic it is to think you are something not a single cell in your body genetically confirms.
superelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #124
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by superelkman View Post
I find this phenomenon interesting. I used to watch ESPN and Sportscenter WAY more than I wish to admit. Now, I never watch sportscenter any more and only occasionally check out a game on ESPN.

To be honest, my exodus was due to being sick of having stuff I disagree with shoved down my throat. When I turn on a sports channel I want highlights, games, and perhaps a non-political documentary or two. I don't want to be told how heroic it is to think you are something not a single cell in your body genetically confirms.

Welcome to the board.

This level of commitment interests me. If there's a Monday Night Football game on that you would otherwise be interested in and watch, you are saying that you now might not because someone on another show on the network had an opinion with which you disagreed?

I can understand not watching opinion shows if you don't like the opinions. Life's too short. But why would it bring down your watching of live sports to "occasional?"

And, is it just ESPN, or is it all Disney products?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #125
superelkman
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Welcome to the board.

This level of commitment interests me. If there's a Monday Night Football game on that you would otherwise be interested in and watch, you are saying that you now might not because someone on another show on the network had an opinion with which you disagreed?

I can understand not watching opinion shows if you don't like the opinions. Life's too short. But why would it bring down your watching of live sports to "occasional?"

And, is it just ESPN, or is it all Disney products?

It's not really that much commitment. Still plenty of books to read, sports to play, and hobbies to participate in. Lessening one of our hundreds of avenues for entertainment in this country is really not a big deal.

Overall, I tend to not like to support the companies and products that support the things I think are destructive to individuals and society. This isn't always feasible depending how many competitors are in the market and whether or not the product is a necessity or not but sports programming is not a necessity of life. I still watch games; however, I'd definitely stop if they started to proselytize semi-regularly.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #126
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Hrmm. Is this some horrible take on transgender people?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #127
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Looks more like an increasingly rare rational take.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #128
superelkman
n00b

Quote:

In what way is this a horrible take on transgenderism? Every cell in our body either has a Y chromosome or not and is thus already gendered. By every objective measure there are two genders. What one believes doesn't change objective reality even if they are really really convinced of their delusion.

Last edited by superelkman : 05-03-2017 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 05-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #129
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Between the racially narrowed Undefeated, the steady drumbeat of whining from ESPNW, and the comical tragedy of "celebrating" Bruce Jenner's mental illness, ESPN has pretty much made it clear that they're more interested in catering to the farthest fringes of the left than in covering actual sports.

(which coincides neatly with a previous complaint of mine about how they've tried to become some sort of pop-culture site rather than a sports site)
Old 05-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #130
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And on the other end of things, we have the idiots at WEEI, one of whom is a "Adam Jones is lying" truther:

Kirk Minihane on Twitter: "Still waiting for proof. There is none. Anyone who looks at the Jones story with any objectivity has to question if anything was said. https://t.co/RUddCBwleA"

Still waiting for proof. There is none. Anyone who looks at the Jones story with any objectivity has to question if anything was said.

This was from the same morning show that did this back in 2003:

On September 29, 2003, during a segment called 'headlines', where they read and comment about current news stories, Callahan and his morning co-host John Dennis made racist comments while discussing a story about an escaped gorilla. The gorilla had escaped from the Franklin Park Zoo and had been recaptured at a bus stop. According to newspaper articles, the exchange allegedly was:

Callahan: "They caught him at a bus stop, right -- he was like waiting to catch a bus out of town."
Dennis: "Yeah, yeah -- he's a METCO gorilla."
Callahan: "Heading out to Lexington."
Dennis: "Exactly."

METCO is a state program that buses inner-city Boston students to nearby suburban schools. The racist comments compared poor, mostly African-American children to gorillas.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #131
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
In what way is this a horrible take on transgenderism? Every cell in our body either has a Y chromosome or not and is thus already gendered. By every objective measure there are two genders. What one believes doesn't change objective reality even if they are really really convinced of their delusion.

A simple. "Yes", would have sufficed.

But, uh, thanks for that... I guess?

Here ends this conversation. No good will come of it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #132
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I can never get my head around these sort of arguments.

Let's put aside whatever you might think about transgender people, or even about whether there's a place for politics in sports coverage. How much time has ESPN devoted to transgender topics over the years? I realize they did the Jenner thing at the ESPYs tw years ago, but how much could it have been since then? Are we talking 0.01% of their airtime? Maybe 0.1% if we're being super generous?

I get that everyone has their views on things, and their preferences for how things should be covered. But these days, the bar for "shoved down my throat" seems to be awfully low. Honestly, it looks a lot like "mentioned at all even once".
Old 05-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #133
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Overall, I tend to not like to support the companies and products that support the things I think are destructive to individuals and society.

since this forum has hosted discussions on such individuals, I presume you will be leaving?

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 05-03-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #134
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Between the racially narrowed Undefeated, the steady drumbeat of whining from ESPNW, and the comical tragedy of "celebrating" Bruce Jenner's mental illness, ESPN has pretty much made it clear that they're more interested in catering to the farthest fringes of the left than in covering actual sports.

(which coincides neatly with a previous complaint of mine about how they've tried to become some sort of pop-culture site rather than a sports site)

I don't think this is right. Not that the coverage of ESPN may be more liberal than conservative, but that being the reason its losing viewers. That seems terribly flawed to me.

For example, I'm quite liberal and I stopped watching ESPN a while ago. It had nothing to do with their supposed liberalism - since I'm probably one of the "fringes on the left" you think they're catering to.

But, we've "known" each other for well over a decade and a half, so I'm not at all surprised you feel this way.

Here are the reasons I watch far less ESPN than I used to:

- Other than PTI, I don't like the screaming talking heads format of many of their shows.
- The loss of NFL Primetime.
- Too few highlights on Sportscenter
- The heavy focus on the NBA (I'm not a basketball fan)
- The zero attention paid to the NHL
- The NHL Network
- The NFL Network
- The ability to get highlights on the internet on various sites
- The ability to better and more detailed team-focused or sports-focused news from other websites.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #135
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, to me a lot of the conservative whining about this kinda thing is "Special Conservative snowflakes want sports to be a he-man Safe Space for their idiocy"
Old 05-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #136
superelkman
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I can never get my head around these sort of arguments.

Let's put aside whatever you might think about transgender people, or even about whether there's a place for politics in sports coverage. How much time has ESPN devoted to transgender topics over the years? I realize they did the Jenner thing at the ESPYs tw years ago, but how much could it have been since then? Are we talking 0.01% of their airtime? Maybe 0.1% if we're being super generous?

I get that everyone has their views on things, and their preferences for how things should be covered. But these days, the bar for "shoved down my throat" seems to be awfully low. Honestly, it looks a lot like "mentioned at all even once".

No clue what percentage of their airtime they push this stuff. Also, it's less what percentage they air this stuff overall and more what percentage of the political stuff they air is like this. So sure, .1% of what they air may be on like this, but damn near 100% of their political commentary is stuff I disagree with. It's just sports so I am perfectly happy not supporting this one particular avenue of sports entertainment.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #137
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Yeah, to me a lot of the conservative whining about this kinda thing is "Special Conservative snowflakes want sports to be a he-man Safe Space for their idiocy"

Basically. I also think that sports publications that don't acknowledge at all the politics inherent in what they cover tend to have their heads in the sand and I'm not interested in contributing to their ostrich fest.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #138
superelkman
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
since this forum has hosted discussions on such individuals, I presume you will be leaving?

No, I have no problem discussing this stuff. Television programs are not discussions however. They are services that actually have quite a lot of clout. One I choose to support or not based on various factors.

I actually find it really important to discuss political issues. I would love to discuss abortion, sexual morality, the role of government with any and every one here but my guess is that the most "tolerant" here would get up in arms and I would probably get thought policed with a ban.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:53 PM   #139
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I actually find it really important to discuss political issues. I would love to discuss abortion, sexual morality, the role of government with any and every one here but my guess is that the most "tolerant" here would get up in arms and I would probably get thought policed with a ban.

What a martyr!
Old 05-03-2017, 05:36 PM   #140
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think this is right. Not that the coverage of ESPN may be more liberal than conservative, but that being the reason its losing viewers. That seems terribly flawed to me.

That's not what I was saying there.

I was talking about the impact of their slant on me (and apparently on the earlier commentator in this thread). It was not meant to extend to their larger issue of audience, especially on the TV side (where I don't perceive it as over-the-top as their website).

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression there, not at all what I meant.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #141
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
That's not what I was saying there.

I was talking about the impact of their slant on me (and apparently on the earlier commentator in this thread). It was not meant to extend to their larger issue of audience, especially on the TV side (where I don't perceive it as over-the-top as their website).

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression there, not at all what I meant.

Gotcha.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:19 PM   #142
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

People aren't watching SportsCenter because the internet exists. And people got fired because ESPN spent a crapton of money on broadcasting rights to the major sports leagues.

I'm sure there are a handful of people who want a safe space and won't watch ESPN over some politics but that's got to be a minuscule number.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:39 PM   #143
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Basically. I also think that sports publications that don't acknowledge at all the politics inherent in what they cover tend to have their heads in the sand and I'm not interested in contributing to their ostrich fest.
Disagree here. I think it's fine to have separate places like Outside the Lines or some 30 for 30's that deal with bigger issues, but my favorite ESPN shows were NFL Primetime back when it showed clips of football games over cool music, and Sportcenter back when the majority of it was highlights. Whether it's a liberal or conservative take, something I agree with or disagree with, or just trying to create a narrative and spending 20 minutes of the hour talking about how much Russ hates KD, I just want to see highlights comprise the vast majority of those shows & not see people in the studio talking for most of the time. Similar to how people always complain about NBC showing wayyy too many human interest stories and very little actual sporting events during the Olympics.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:05 PM   #144
molson
General Manager

I mentioned this earlier but...am I the only one who hasn't found the SportsCenter alternative on the internet? I can find 12 15-second clips from tonight's Red Sox game on MLB.com but that's obviously not the same thing that SportsCenter gave me back in the day. Are people really watching those clips? Seems so inefficient. Sitting there and clicking 12 individual links, with no overriding narrative or structure.

I guess I'm an old man....

Last edited by molson : 05-03-2017 at 11:11 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:43 PM   #145
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I mentioned this earlier but...am I the only one who hasn't found the SportsCenter alternative on the internet? I can find 12 15-second clips from tonight's Red Sox game on MLB.com but that's obviously not the same thing that SportsCenter gave me back in the day. Are people really watching those clips? Seems so inefficient. Sitting there and clicking 12 individual links, with no overriding narrative or structure.

I've just assumed that the myriad of links system was designed to force me through ads (which I have blocked)
Old 05-04-2017, 12:21 AM   #146
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Maybe not in video form, but a quick click to PBP and I can get all the info for a game I need or want. If something so interesting happens that I need to SEE it, it's just another click or two away.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #147
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
No clue what percentage of their airtime they push this stuff.

Of course they do.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #148
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

For me, and for the record I'm openly very conservative among this crowd (not so much among other circles Im in) my problem isnt the Bruce Jenner coverage, per se, it is the mention of it at all.

Let me phrase it this way, I consider myself a Christian. But if during an NBA game I hear, "Lebron saves the ball from going out and passes to Kyrie, and speaking of saving things just a reminder that Jesus Christ died to save your soul, now back to the action as Curry steal the ball..."

I'm equally as out.
If I am watching the 6 oclock news I expect a variety of topics and coverage. If I tune to Bloomberg TV, or Fox Business I dont expect or want sport highlights. Sports are a distraction or an entertainment item for me. Business if more about financials and a different mind set. It is the entire genesis and reason for niche channels. The reason I want a sports channel is I want that channel to be SPORTS. That's it. If I want politics I will tune to a political channel. Forcing me to consume one while seeking another costs you my business.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:24 AM   #149
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
If I am watching the 6 oclock news I expect a variety of topics and coverage. If I tune to Bloomberg TV, or Fox Business I dont expect or want sport highlights. Sports are a distraction or an entertainment item for me. Business if more about financials and a different mind set. It is the entire genesis and reason for niche channels. The reason I want a sports channel is I want that channel to be SPORTS. That's it. If I want politics I will tune to a political channel. Forcing me to consume one while seeking another costs you my business.

Basically, what's the point of Outside the Lines if every single show on the channel IS Outside the Lines?
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:34 AM   #150
cuervo72
Head Coach

Are they doing it to just do it, or are they mentioning things like that for business interests - i.e. promoting other programming? Because networks do that all the time*, and while we may not like it, I don't know if it regularly puts anyone off from a network. ESPN/ABC had exclusives with Jenner, so damned if they aren't going to mention them.

* showing stars from shows in the crowd games (hey look, it's Ally McBeal at the World Series! You can see her Tuesdays on Fox!), stay tuned for 60 Minutes/Dateline/etc. And holy shit, who hasn't written and is selling a book at Fox News?