Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #14851
Thomkal
Head Coach

ICE drops off over 200 undocumented immigrants at the Greyhound Bus Depot in El Paso-without food,money, phones on a 40+ degree night. No strategy for what to do with them either. Looks like the city of El Paso are rallying support for them. Merry Xmas.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/24/us/el...ice/index.html
Old 12-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #14852
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Everything Trump touches dies.

Quote:
Donald Trump, answering phone call from 7-year-old on Christmas Eve: "Are you still a believer in Santa? Because at seven it's marginal, right?"
Old 12-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #14853
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Everything Trump touches dies.

This is a joke, right?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #14854
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This is a joke, right?

Sadly it is not-they made the mistake of letting the press in to cover it.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #14855
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Christmas: Trump takes kids' Santa calls amid shutdown, pretty much blows it / Boing Boing
Old 12-24-2018, 09:51 PM   #14856
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Next week Fox News will be full Santa truthers.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:53 PM   #14857
digamma
Torchbearer

Guys, guys, guys, Obama wore that tan suit. Focus.

Merry Christmas!
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:48 PM   #14858
PilotMan
Head Coach

What an absolute fucking jackass.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:13 AM   #14859
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Guys, guys, guys, Obama wore that tan suit. Focus.

Merry Christmas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
What an absolute fucking jackass.

I know. TAN SUITS?!?!!1!
Old 12-25-2018, 08:30 PM   #14860
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
ICE drops off over 200 undocumented immigrants at the Greyhound Bus Depot in El Paso-without food,money, phones on a 40+ degree night. No strategy for what to do with them either. Looks like the city of El Paso are rallying support for them. Merry Xmas.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/24/us/el...ice/index.html

Another 500 immigrants today
Old 12-25-2018, 09:11 PM   #14861
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I was initially skeptical of the abolish ICE movement, but count me fully in now. We have no need for these ghouls.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:19 PM   #14862
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

8 year old died in border custody on Xmas. Happy Xmas.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 12-25-2018 at 09:19 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #14863
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I was initially skeptical of the abolish ICE movement, but count me fully in now. We have no need for these ghouls.

So are you for open immigration then?
Old 12-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #14864
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Are you saying we had open immigration before March 1, 2003?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #14865
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

CBP can handle the border and they or other federal law enforcement can handle those here illegally. ICE has become a home for sociopaths.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:26 AM   #14866
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Why do people always take the all or none approach with this subject.

It always amazes me that Trump supporters (not saying you specifically) actually buy in to the rhetoric that the Dems really want wide open borders.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:43 AM   #14867
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just checked our investment accounts for the first time in a while. Down over 6 figures. That's just investments, not 401K.

We winning yet?
Old 12-26-2018, 10:02 AM   #14868
PilotMan
Head Coach

I really think that the Dems should start by telling everyone that the R's want on the spot executions for illegal border crossings. We could use Jon for public testimonials.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:10 AM   #14869
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I really think that the Dems should start by telling everyone that the R's want on the spot executions for illegal border crossings. We could use Jon for public testimonials.

Honestly I think most of them would be OK with that.

When your de facto response to a child dying in the care of US border patrol is their parents should't have subjected them to that trip, you have lost all empathy as a human being anyway.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #14870
Schmidty
Coordinator

Is it cool for anyone in this thread, other than Jon, to have vastly different ideas than the majority of folks in this thread without getting jumped on and intellectually insulted? I ask this sincerely, because I would love to participate in these discussions; however, it has seemed such a hostile environment I stopped bothering. Heck, I even had to block some people that I actually like, simply because they were so insulting and deranged in their views of people they disagree with. For the record, I unblocked them today, because I want to give people a chance again.

For full disclosure, I am a Libertarian/Independent who voted for Trump, mostly because I was terrified of Hilary getting in. I don’t particularly like the man. I think he’s as oily and greasy as Bill Clinton, he just doesn’t hide it as well. I do think that he is doing well and in certain areas is falling short.

Anyway, I just wanted to start participating here again, but I don’t want to have to deal with a ton of animosity. Jon can do that, and I used to sort of be able to, but the past few years has really worn me down. The hatred and disrespect in this country has gotten to be too much. Maybe it’s because I’m old, but it’d be nice to sit down with people of all views, who will listen without having already begun an argument in their minds, while missing half of what other people are saying.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #14871
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Why do people always take the all or none approach with this subject.

It always amazes me that Trump supporters (not saying you specifically) actually buy in to the rhetoric that the Dems really want wide open borders.

If you abolish ICE then you have to replace it with an organization with essentially the same mission right? Why wouldn't the replacement organization have the same problems as ICE?
Old 12-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #14872
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Is it cool for anyone in this thread, other than Jon, to have vastly different ideas than the majority of folks in this thread without getting jumped on and intellectually insulted? I ask this sincerely, because I would love to participate in these discussions; however, it has seemed such a hostile environment I stopped bothering. Heck, I even had to block some people that I actually like, simply because they were so insulting and deranged in their views of people they disagree with. For the record, I unblocked them today, because I want to give people a chance again.

For full disclosure, I am a Libertarian/Independent who voted for Trump, mostly because I was terrified of Hilary getting in. I don’t particularly like the man. I think he’s as oily and greasy as Bill Clinton, he just doesn’t hide it as well. I do think that he is doing well and in certain areas is falling short.

Anyway, I just wanted to start participating here again, but I don’t want to have to deal with a ton of animosity. Jon can do that, and I used to sort of be able to, but the past few years has really worn me down. The hatred and disrespect in this country has gotten to be too much. Maybe it’s because I’m old, but it’d be nice to sit down with people of all views, who will listen without having already begun an argument in their minds, while missing half of what other people are saying.

Glad to have you in the discussion again Schmidty. Jon is still here after some comments that went too far in the eyes of many here. Now many have probably blocked him or just rolled their eyes when reading his comments in this thread. He's pretty set in his opinions, and probably many of us "on the left" are too. Its hard to chisel away at those edges. But by all means try.

It still to this day boggles my mind that people were terrified of what Hillary would do if she had won. For me, she would have been an extension of Obama, with more of a focus on woman's issues. She would have probably been drawn into some ethics investigation into her and her Foundation by the Republican Right just because she is about everything they are not. But I have to ask-would her and her cabinet be embroiled in scandals/ethics/immigration crisis everu dau? Would she turn her back on traditional allies in Europe or elsewhere instead of authoritarians like North Korea, China, Russia and Turkey?

Would she have sided with Saudi Arabia over a murdered journalist? Put kids behind bars for being guilty of their parents trying to cross the border for a greater life? Would she outright lie and spread propaganda on Twitter every day? I think the answer to most of these would be different than the man currently in office. Someone who does things differently than most Presidents before her? Again I think not.

I have my own issues about Clinton, but this country would be far better off now if she had won instead of lost.

Sorry for the venting.

Last edited by Thomkal : 12-26-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #14873
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just checked our investment accounts for the first time in a while. Down over 6 figures. That's just investments, not 401K.

We winning yet?

Did you just put your money in the market? I ask because it's up like 15% since Trump took office. So tired of the narrative that any downturn is always due to shitty policy and any upswing is dumb.luck. Why dont we agree the markets operate pretty independent of.presidential policy? If not you should be quite pleased with the Trump presidency or your financial advisor sucks.

Last edited by panerd : 12-26-2018 at 02:53 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #14874
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hey look at that the guilt trip worked-Trump visiting troops in Iraq;

Trump in Iraq on first visit to troops in troubled region
Old 12-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #14875
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah it's definitely a liberal echo chamber. Now part.of that for sure is Trump is hard to defend a lot of the time but sometimes it just gets ridiculous like complaining about the economy or Trump policies that mirror Obama ones (like most of the border stuff). The worst is Afghanistan where Trump for all the wrong reasons has done what a lot of.people have wanted for years but now it's the end of the free world as we know it. Stick to your guns they are right about some things, (shock to them) wrong about some things, and for the most part nobody knows.

EDIT: I will say this board is generally better than the web in general. Like I said for sure an echo chamber that is always correct but they are pretty civil and often knowledgeable. There are a few who just spit out CNN talking points but it's better than Yahoo "bush sucks" "Obama isn't an american" type arguements.

Last edited by panerd : 12-26-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:26 PM   #14876
Thomkal
Head Coach

Dow closes up more than 1,000 points
Old 12-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #14877
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah it's definitely a liberal echo chamber. Now part.of that for sure is Trump is hard to defend a lot of the time but sometimes it just gets ridiculous like complaining about the economy or Trump policies that mirror Obama ones (like most of the border stuff). The worst is Afghanistan where Trump for all the wrong reasons has done what a lot of.people have wanted for years but now it's the end of the free world as we know it. Stick to your guns they are right about some things, (shock to them) wrong about some things, and for the most part nobody knows.

Not really kept up with the discussion recently and certainly have a different view on it anyway then most (not living in the US), but anyway ...

Most are not "complaining about the economy" but are pointing out the master economist in chief claims credit everytime it looks improving (by any measure) but blames everybody else when sth doesn't look good in terms of the economy. He is making it about himself. From what i have read most in here are pretty conscious of the fact that economic trends are fairly independent by and large.

In terms of the "border stuff" you can't ignore execution and intent. Or say that 80% of the vanilla policies are similar to Obama (or most other recent presidents i guess) and ignore the 20% that are fundamentally different.

And how exactly did you come to "worst is Afghanistan" ? From what i have gathered the most uproar is over Syria and there are perfectly valid reasons for said uproar. And it isn't about pulling the marginal number of actual troops but about the message it is sending and the larger future ramifications of it.

Overall Trump has made politics and policy based on short term personal (or party) gains and is utterly ignoring long term goals in pretty much every area from economic policies to foreign relations and from social security to environmental policies. I really don't see how that is a good thing regardless of the actual worldview behind it (which i admittedly find to be atrocious).
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #14878
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dow closes up more than 1,000 points

I hope this is a sign of good things to come but still the market has me rattled.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #14879
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Not really kept up with the discussion recently and certainly have a different view on it anyway then most (not living in the US), but anyway ...

Most are not "complaining about the economy" but are pointing out the master economist in chief claims credit everytime it looks improving (by any measure) but blames everybody else when sth doesn't look good in terms of the economy. He is making it about himself. From what i have read most in here are pretty conscious of the fact that economic trends are fairly independent by and large.

In terms of the "border stuff" you can't ignore execution and intent. Or say that 80% of the vanilla policies are similar to Obama (or most other recent presidents i guess) and ignore the 20% that are fundamentally different.

And how exactly did you come to "worst is Afghanistan" ? From what i have gathered the most uproar is over Syria and there are perfectly valid reasons for said uproar. And it isn't about pulling the marginal number of actual troops but about the message it is sending and the larger future ramifications of it.

Overall Trump has made politics and policy based on short term personal (or party) gains and is utterly ignoring long term goals in pretty much every area from economic policies to foreign relations and from social security to environmental policies. I really don't see how that is a good thing regardless of the actual worldview behind it (which i admittedly find to be atrocious).

1. Several on here have made comments on days the market is down thanking him. I've said it before in this thread it's like the Patriots fans who would.complain about losing to the Bills. The dow is not someplace to try and take this president on.

2. I'll include Syria. Trump (for differing reasons than me admittedly) is finally scaling back the american empire (thank you somebody for doing it!) which brings me to point 3.

3. Every president and politician for the most part is all about stepping on the rest of the world and saying fuck it we are america. Trump just gets called out because he doesnt dress it up like they do. They all suck in my opinion but he certainty isnt the worst. (Maybe W Bush and even his father that apparently now was one of the greats with the media worshipping last month) And he really isnt that far from Obama (Smooth talker and Nobel Peace prize for perfecting drone murders makes him a different kind of president of course)

Last edited by panerd : 12-26-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:30 PM   #14880
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I hope this is a sign of good things to come but still the market has me rattled.

Most of my investments are in large mutual funds. My "speculative" stock investments include Amazon and Apple (not FB or Nvidia). I'm still in the black for those but it really has hurt to see all those gains melt away.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #14881
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

If you are looking for an dispassionate intellectual discussion, the answer is no. It will get personal, not just on Trump but on Immigration/Racism and on 2A. However, I have found this board to be better than rest of internet.

I can't honestly say I've changed my mind much but I can say that many discussions brought up interesting POV that have made me consider the counter points.

Quote:

I don't like him, don't think Bill Clinton is anywhere as oily and greasy as Trump. There's some stuff he does that is "unorthodox" and it may work out in a good way (e.g. immigration, China trade war, NK, Palestinian/Israel, possibly SCOTUS) but it is too soon to tell.

However, with the market in a downward trend (a good part IMO on Trump's way of doing/saying things) his cons definitely outweigh is pros right now for me.

Quote:

Welcome back.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #14882
cuervo72
Head Coach

I mean, anyone is free to articulate why he's not an abomination. I can't guarantee we'll be convinced.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #14883
thesloppy
Pro Starter

For whatever it's worth (not very much) I feel like the idea that this place (and the internet in general) is a liberal echo chamber is a bit of a red herring. I think it IS true that social media (and this place as well) is a liberal echo chamber NOW, but that wasn't necessarily the case two years ago, when there were plenty of conservative voices speaking their piece before the elections, and definitely immediately after Trump got elected there were a lot more flavors of conservatives happy to wave their flag.

To my (admittedly biased eyes) I'd say what changed the discourse into an echo chamber wasn't loud aggressive liberal posters, so much as it was conservative posters not necessarily wanting to back up Trump's actions or policies, which went off the rails almost immediately. Since Trump is not very deft at hiding his rough edges and also manages to sneak his own personal (usually insensitive) politics into just about every political action he takes, he makes it hard to take his political side without also having to also defend or explicitly disavow his individual thoughts/actions, which understandably isn't always an attractive prospect.

That shouldn't absolve or ignore aggressive, liberal posters who immediately go nuclear and personal (which I have certainly been guilty of doing, and I'm sorry to anybody I've personally offended), of which there are plenty, but I do think it's fair to say that the relative silence of rational conservatives has much more to do with not wanting to defend Trump than it does liberal bullying.

...that said, I think even most of the liberal posters on FOFC would agree that they'd love to see more varied viewpoints, and would welcome all conservative posters to speak their minds more.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 12-26-2018 at 05:37 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:06 PM   #14884
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I kind of alluded to this before, but with some of his most recent actions, which are so radical that they almost reach far-left positions, is there a chance Trump could be remembered, 50 years from now, as something like LBJ, who is often touted as having been a foul-mouthed, racist asshole, knee-deep in conspiracy theories about shady dealings, but also credited with driving forth some of the most progressive political policies in modern times?

...at this point, with more than half his term left, it's nothing but wishful thinking that he'll continue to push arguably-slightly-progressive policies through, while his most conservative policies seem to get get hung up and discarded (and I'm actively ignoring his absolutely conservative effect on/dominance of the legislative branch, etc.), almost in spite of his best attempts, but I do think it's an interesting prospect.

On the one hand, the level of surface damage he's doing to our culture, world standing, inter-party relations, and the office of the Presidency in general is both impressive and terrifying, and beyond even the wildest expectations. On the other hand, if you were to tell me two years ago that at this point Trump wouldn't have enacted much serious border/wall policy, wouldn't have repealed the ACA, but would have enacted prison reform and pulled out of Syria and Afghanistan to some degree, all with complete GOP control, I think I'd have to consider this a best-case-scenario, on a very surface level.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 12-26-2018 at 06:17 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:42 PM   #14885
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Hey look at that the guilt trip worked-Trump visiting troops in Iraq;

Trump in Iraq on first visit to troops in troubled region

And of course since its Trump, he did something wrong there:

Donald Trump Twitter Account Video Reveals Covert U.S. Navy SEAL Deployment During Iraq Visit
Old 12-26-2018, 07:49 PM   #14886
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Did you just put your money in the market? I ask because it's up like 15% since Trump took office. So tired of the narrative that any downturn is always due to shitty policy and any upswing is dumb.luck. Why dont we agree the markets operate pretty independent of.presidential policy? If not you should be quite pleased with the Trump presidency or your financial advisor sucks.

Maybe because when the markets are up the POTUS and his followers love taking all the credit, and using that as evidence why we should ignore everything wrong with him because the economy is just dandy. When it is down, crickets.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:59 PM   #14887
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
1. Several on here have made comments on days the market is down thanking him. I've said it before in this thread it's like the Patriots fans who would.complain about losing to the Bills. The dow is not someplace to try and take this president on.

see above
Old 12-26-2018, 08:23 PM   #14888
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Maybe because when the markets are up the POTUS and his followers love taking all the credit, and using that as evidence why we should ignore everything wrong with him because the economy is just dandy. When it is down, crickets.

And then there are those of us that kinda-sorta support some of him/policies that do give him some credit for the up market and do blame him for the down markets.

Trump does not control the markets but he can heavily influence the markets by what he says and does. First year and half, it worked for him. Last six months, not so much.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:37 PM   #14889
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

And all I am saying is nitpicking the stock market on a downturn and saying your losses are 6 figures means your gains had to have been montourous... 300-400K or more or you are just being disingenuous with your losses. Otherwise you are getting foolish investment advice because just investing in something as simple as DIA or QQQ would have netted you 20% (even with the recent losses) since Trumps inauguration.

This is the problem with the echo chamber I speak of. Everything is a conspiracy to supposedly help Russia or his family and he is responsible for everything bad so it's hard to take people seriously when he really is helping his family or causing market problems. I mean fed rate hikes have always had an effect on the market and Trump (correct me if I'm wrong JPhillips or Rainmaker) canf effect this independent federal reserve at all. Or so I've been told over and over throughout the Obama and Bush presidencies.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:44 PM   #14890
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Not being disingenuous at all.

Not sure why it is so hard to understand that people are going to come at Trump when the market is down based off his screaming to anyone who will listen that he is the reason when it is up.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #14891
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And all I am saying is nitpicking the stock market on a downturn and saying your losses are 6 figures means your gains had to have been montourous... 300-400K or more or you are just being disingenuous with your losses. Otherwise you are getting foolish investment advice because just investing in something as simple as DIA or QQQ would have netted you 20% (even with the recent losses) since Trumps inauguration.

20%??? How are you getting this return under the TrumpDow?

The market under Trump is vastly under performing the market under Obama. Yet to hear conservatives pundits, Obama ruined the economy.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:57 PM   #14892
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not being disingenuous at all.

Not sure why it is so hard to understand that people are going to come at Trump when the market is down based off his screaming to anyone who will listen that he is the reason when it is up.

Sure. Seems just as dumb as the idiots who were all over Obama about the markets during his presidency. But if a huge net gain still leads you to complain about short term losses than have at it. I mean myself and like 4 other people will be the only ones to give you shit about it on here anyways. I'm pretty sure there are several posters who would welcome a full scale crash even if it cost them their lifetime savings to feel good about Trump failing at his presidecny. Carry on...
Old 12-26-2018, 09:05 PM   #14893
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
20%??? How are you getting this return under the TrumpDow?

The market under Trump is vastly under performing the market under Obama. Yet to hear conservatives pundits, Obama ruined the economy.

QQQ: 123 TO 152 (24%)
DIA: 197 to 228 (16%)

Hopefully one would have a better investment strategy than putting all their money in Nasdaq tracking stocks.

I dont play the red/blue game was quite happy with Obama's and now Trumps gains and quite pissed with Bushs losses. Would like the president to have no effect.on my.money but wont complain about gains.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:08 PM   #14894
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
QQQ: 123 TO 152 (24%)
DIA: 197 to 228 (16%)

Hopefully one would have a better investment strategy than putting all their money in Nasdaq tracking stocks.

I dont play the red/blue game was quite happy with Obama's and now Trumps gains and quite pissed with Bushs losses. Would like the president to have no effect.on my.money but wont complain about gains.

Yeah 16% isn't all that impressive over two years.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 12-26-2018 at 09:10 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #14895
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah 16% isn't all that impressive over two years.

Point being it isn't a 6 figure loss either is it?
Old 12-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #14896
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Point being it isn't a 6 figure loss either is it?

not yet
Old 12-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #14897
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there are several posters who would welcome a full scale crash even if it cost them their lifetime savings to feel good about Trump failing at his presidency.

I agree it does feel like this and that can be frustrating. I do think complaints about the hypocrisy from the man himself about how every gain is to his credit and every loss is the Democrats fault are valid, but there are just so many complaints to make about the man literally on a daily basis thanks to his screed on twitter that its too easy to get overwhelmed/overly frustrated and lose sight of... well, lots of things. God knows I've completely lost my shit here a few times in the past 2 years. Usually that's my sign just to disengage from the news for a week or so and reset.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:35 AM   #14898
Schmidty
Coordinator

Thanks for the good comments. I’m about to leave, but I’d like to respond to Thomkal and some others later. Really good posts.

I think whatdrove me over the edge was when people got so riled-up, they were questioning the intellect and going over the top just to insult people with things like “knuckle-draggers, mentally ill, evil”, et cetera. I saw that stuff on Facebook from people I know from FOFC and it just gutted me, because I’m know I’m not a dunce, nor am I motally corrupt (except in text sims).

Anyway, enough whining, I’ll try to post and respond to topics here from now on.

Last edited by Schmidty : 12-27-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #14899
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Thanks for the good comments. I’m about to leave, but I’d like to respond to Thomkal and some others later. Really good posts.

I think whatdrove me over the edge was when people got so riled-up, they were questioning the intellect and going over the top just to insult people with things like “knuckle-draggers, mentally ill, evil”, et cetera. I saw that stuff on Facebook from people I know from FOFC and it just gutted me, because I’m know I’m not a dunce, nor am I motally corrupt (except in text sims).

Anyway, enough whining, I’ll try to post and respond to topics here from now on.

First off, I think you are a good person, and a lot of Trump supporters are good people. My mother in law is die hard, and would do anything for her family. I do however think a large majority of Trump supporters do fit the stereotype.

What I do not understand is HOW someone such as yourself can support him. What about him makes you think he should be running our country. You have a daughter, would you be OK with her talking to people the way he does? Following the example he sets? What about his thoughts on the environment and things happening under his watch that realistically could leave the world a much worse place for our kids to live?

How do you look at his Twitter rants and feel comfortable with him running the country? Look at all the people surrounding him either found guilty of crimes or quitting because they can't be associated with him. How can you feel he is acting in the countries best interests?

There is literally a laundry list of things he does that are completely screwed up. I could go on and on. How does one support that?

Please give your argument, I would love to hear it, as I am sure others would.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #14900
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
First off, I think you are a good person, and a lot of Trump supporters are good people. My mother in law is die hard, and would do anything for her family. I do however think a large majority of Trump supporters do fit the stereotype.

What I do not understand is HOW someone such as yourself can support him. What about him makes you think he should be running our country. You have a daughter, would you be OK with her talking to people the way he does? Following the example he sets? What about his thoughts on the environment and things happening under his watch that realistically could leave the world a much worse place for our kids to live?

How do you look at his Twitter rants and feel comfortable with him running the country? Look at all the people surrounding him either found guilty of crimes or quitting because they can't be associated with him. How can you feel he is acting in the countries best interests?

There is literally a laundry list of things he does that are completely screwed up. I could go on and on. How does one support that?

Please give your argument, I would love to hear it, as I am sure others would.

I’m out and about, but will give a quick answer. My first reaction is that I support Trump, not because I like him, his tweets, his rudeness, et cetera, but because the other side seems to be a much scarier option. I’ve never considered myself a Republican, although I’m more conservative than I am Liberal, but the way the left is acting is so over the top and aggressive, it makes Trump look completely controlled and measured. I turn on CNN and MSNBC and it’s as if everyday is the apocalypse. It looks completely ridiculous and deluded to me. According to them, the sky is falling everyday, and eventually, it’s just noise to a lot of folks. Fox is deeply flawed too, but in a different way.

Bottom line: I agree with more of Trump’s policies and ideas than I do the Democrats. To me, it’s a numbers game. I’m just doing the math. It’s irrelevant to me whether or not he’s a louse as long he’s furthering agendas I agree with and doesn’t buckle to pressure of those that I believe would lead the country to ruin. It’s like people that support Clinton. They don’t care that he was philandering and getting blowjobs in the Oval Office as long as they think he’s doing a good job. I get that and totally understand why people react that way to him. What I don’t get is some of the Trump-hate hypocrisy. Unless, it’s clear that he is guilty of treasonous crimes, I don’t see the difference. Heck, Clinton perjured on record and was impeached. In the end, did it really matter? I don’t think so.

As far as my daughter goes, I don’t need the president to be a role-model. Her mother and I are her examples. My daughter and I talk about Trump all the time. She knows that he has said and done distasteful and downright awful things in many circumstances. We both condemn him for that, but she understands that critical thinking means looking at things and people as a whole, not just observing things through emotion-shaded glasses. I’ve been guilty as hell of that my whole life and I’m honest about it now. I want her to learn from my mistakes. I have no idea where she will stand politically in the future (or now really), but I know that she will base it on her own beliefs and will look at all sides with an open mind, not one clouded by her peers, the media, me, her mom, or anyone else’s opinions. That’s my hope.

Anyway, this went on longer than I thought. Good to talk to you again Lathum.

Last edited by Schmidty : 12-27-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote