Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #14851
Schmidty
Coordinator

Sorry HB, but I stole that and put it on FB.

I don't know why I felt the need to tell you that.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:01 AM   #14852
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Sorry HB, but I stole that and put it on FB.

I don't know why I felt the need to tell you that.

Heh! I appreciate the head's up, Schmidty. Go forth and prosper with that!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:19 AM   #14853
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Ten years ago I swore I would never go on antidepressants again.

And yet, here I am. Goddamnit. Fuck you depression.

It is a bitch of a disease. I hope that the antidepressants can help your quality of life. I know that the decision to use or not use medication is a very personal and complex one, and I would not presume to know what is or is not right for you.

But I have seen close family members struggle with this disease, and I have seen medication really improve their quality of life and allow them to be the person that they were meant to be. From my observations, it is a medicine used to help treat an illness. No different in that way from insulin or antibiotics. We are lucky to live in a world where we have them.

Good luck. You will be in my thoughts.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #14854
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Ten years ago I swore I would never go on antidepressants again.

And yet, here I am. Goddamnit. Fuck you depression.

It's a helluva ride, and the whole "getting the dose right" rollercoaster can become its own f'n nightmare (as I suspect you already know).

But it CAN pay off in the end.

I mean, hell, look at me. See what UNmedicated looks like? It ain't pretty.

Hang tough.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #14855
molson
General Manager

I've become oddly obsessed this week with the old show What's Your Line.

There's something about the dignity and formality of the 50s and 60s as played out on shows like that. Everybody still jokes around but its within this formal framework. Today you have to go outside that framework and break those walls or it doesn't even really count as comedy. And I love modern comedy - but the 50s approach is just kind of refreshing and soothing, and I can see the argument that it takes more pure comedic skill to be funny in that environment.

And it's fascinating to get a little window into the 50s and 60s through that celebrity culture, and what regular people were watching on TV. Everyone came through that show. So many people who I only knew by name, it was fun to see them in that format, bantering with other celebrities of the day, plugging their latest project. Others I only knew as old people, it was fun to see them as they were decades earlier (Johnny Carson, Betty White, Ronald Reagan, Steve Allen, Woody Allen, Buddy Hackett). Others I'd never heard of, so it was fun to see what random celebrities were just completely forgotten through time. And there would be famous athletes, and politicians.

And then it gets even deeper. Over the course of the show, they lost a couple of regular panelists - Dorthy Killgallen was found dead under mysterious circumstances, Fred Allen dropped dead of a heart attack. For those celebrities that worked with them for years and years, and for the viewers that watched them every Monday, those things were really sad and a big deal, to lose someone. But then, just a few decades later, they're all gone, almost every single one (except for Betty White and Woody Allen). I thought about what it must be like to make it 90+ years old. You gradually lose EVERYONE. Your friends, your family, and even the celebrities you gained an affinity for through your life. That must become your whole world - keeping track of who's alive and who's dead, and the latter gradually outnumbers the former.

Happy Friday!

Last edited by molson : 07-10-2015 at 10:22 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #14856
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I've become oddly obsessed this week with the old show What's Your Line.

Umm ... you might wanna check the title more closely next time you watch

Quote:
There's something about the dignity and formality of the 50s and 60s as played out on shows like that. Everybody still jokes around but its within this formal framework. Today you have to go outside that framework and break those walls or it doesn't even really count as comedy. And I love modern comedy - but the 50s approach is just kind of refreshing and soothing, and I can see the argument that it takes more pure comedic skill to be funny in that environment.

Watched several episodes from that era recently (courtesy of the 17 y/o in fact) and I understand exactly what you mean.

The Groucho Marx episode with Claudette Colbert as the mystery guest is some of the funniest television ever. And a fascinating watch.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:29 PM   #14857
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If you're bored at work, definitely don't go to agar.io cause you should never play addictive browser based games at work.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #14858
Suicane75
Coordinator

Nothing like going to the dentist and getting A, "I don't see anything there that would be causing you pain".

Couple of random questions,

1. I'm looking for a game from probably about 10-15 years ago. It was set during WW2 I believe and was a 1st person shooter where you were on a boat (you may have even been the boat, my memory is foggy) and you had to shoot down enemy boats and/or planes. The soundtrack was constant lua music or island music, or something very relaxing like that. It was an intensive or even super enjoyable game, but it relaxed the hell out of me and I'd like to play it again but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

2. Anyone tell me how long a regular weed whacker spool lasts?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #14859
stevew
Hall Of Famer

2). Just get a different head with precut pieces. Will cost $20 or so, and will take 5-10 mins to put on but will make weed eating 10000000% less of a struggle
Old 07-11-2015, 12:10 AM   #14860
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Hey, so yeah, I bowled my first 300 game tonight. I'm happy.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #14862
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Nice!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:31 AM   #14863
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

Go Pumpy Go Pumpy Go !
Old 07-11-2015, 01:40 AM   #14864
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Awesome!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:08 AM   #14865
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Does this mean you kicked someone down into a bottomless pit before each roll?
Old 07-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #14866
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Congrats.

How did it feel before your final roll? Were you in the zone or nervous as fuck? Or both?
Old 07-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #14867
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

And is a 300 game like a no-hitter? Do people talk about it when it is happening, or is there a code of pretending it isn't happening?
Old 07-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #14868
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

So I'll start by saying that this was just a practice session. It wasn't part of my leagues. That doesn't make it any easier, but I just wanted to get that out there first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Congrats.

How did it feel before your final roll? Were you in the zone or nervous as fuck? Or both?

And is a 300 game like a no-hitter? Do people talk about it when it is happening, or is there a code of pretending it isn't happening?
I was completely in the zone when I did it. No thoughts about the fact that I had just bowled 11 straight strikes entered my mind. I just walked up and threw the same shot I'd been throwing the whole game. It's weird because I've gotten the first 10 strikes in a game three times, and I always got too nervous on the 11th shot, which caused me to miss my mark or screw my speed a bit. On this perfect game, though, once I got the 11th one, I really thought the 12th was inevitable... which it was.

People will default to not talking to a bowler who's perfect through 7 or 8 frames, but some bowlers don't mind being talked to. It all depends on the bowler, and people recognize that during leagues. When I bowled this one last night, though, it was at a place that was doing karaoke during bowling, so it's not like most of these people know the code.

The group of 6 young people next to me were singing, dancing, and running around while I was bowling. They didn't notice what I was doing until the 8th one, and they completely shut up. It was actually kinda awesome. I think they got more out of my perfect game than I did. I'm sure I'll bowl more 300s in my life, but they may never see another one, so it was great for them.

Also, one last note: As I said, this was during a karaoke night. When I got the 12th strike, there was an older couple on the stage singing Donna Summer's "Last Dance." So I guess that's sorta gotta be my song now.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #14869
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
The group of 6 young people next to me were singing, dancing, and running around while I was bowling. They didn't notice what I was doing until the 8th one, and they completely shut up. It was actually kinda awesome. I think they got more out of my perfect game than I did. I'm sure I'll bowl more 300s in my life, but they may never see another one, so it was great for them.

That is pretty cool. Congrats!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #14870
Easy Mac

RIP Conrad. You're in the great trash can in the sky.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #14871
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't know black people could bowl.

So good on ya
*golf clap*

ETA:
/sarcasm

in case someone doesn't have a sense of humor

Last edited by NobodyHere : 07-11-2015 at 06:35 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:33 PM   #14872
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So I'll start by saying that this was just a practice session. It wasn't part of my leagues. That doesn't make it any easier, but I just wanted to get that out there first.

I was completely in the zone when I did it. No thoughts about the fact that I had just bowled 11 straight strikes entered my mind. I just walked up and threw the same shot I'd been throwing the whole game. It's weird because I've gotten the first 10 strikes in a game three times, and I always got too nervous on the 11th shot, which caused me to miss my mark or screw my speed a bit. On this perfect game, though, once I got the 11th one, I really thought the 12th was inevitable... which it was.

People will default to not talking to a bowler who's perfect through 7 or 8 frames, but some bowlers don't mind being talked to. It all depends on the bowler, and people recognize that during leagues. When I bowled this one last night, though, it was at a place that was doing karaoke during bowling, so it's not like most of these people know the code.

Also, one last note: As I said, this was during a karaoke night. When I got the 12th strike, there was an older couple on the stage singing Donna Summer's "Last Dance." So I guess that's sorta gotta be my song now.

we went bowling one evening way back when... This kid next to us bowled 11 straight strikes to open a game.. then hit 9 on the 12th...
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:12 AM   #14873
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkenst View Post
we went bowling one evening way back when... This kid next to us bowled 11 straight strikes to open a game.. then hit 9 on the 12th...
Ever since I became a good bowler, I'd said that I would hate bowling a 299 before getting a 300. The 300 is so hard to do and to miss by one pin would be heartbreaking. My high game before last night was 289, so I never had to deal with the 299. Now that I've got a 300, I think I could emotionally deal with a 299 a little better.

I know a kid who averaged around 170 in a league I ran a few years back. One night, he bowled a 299. Never got anywhere close to that again, and now he doesn't even bowl anymore. I didn't want that to happen to me!
Old 07-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #14874
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There are currently 9 people, 1 baby and 7 dogs at my house. remaining calm, in spite of long odds.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #14875
Dutch
"Dutch"

No, effin way. I'd get a hotel, hand them the keys and say, "Enjoy!"
Old 07-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #14876
Dutch
"Dutch"

(The hotel would be for me...not them, btw)
Old 07-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #14877
stevew
Hall Of Famer

yeah, I could rant for hours but all it would do is make me more mad.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #14878
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is there some sort of snobbery about a 300 game? Like, is the game more legitimate if it was at a certain venue. Is it catty like, "everyone gets a 300 at the Bowl-O-Drome"?
Old 07-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #14879
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

F a hotel, I'd have found a shotgun by now.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #14880
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Is there some sort of snobbery about a 300 game? Like, is the game more legitimate if it was at a certain venue. Is it catty like, "everyone gets a 300 at the Bowl-O-Drome"?
Not so much about 300s. Maybe a bit. Mostly, people get like that over the averages people carry in certain places. As far as I know, bowlers are pretty indifferent about the place where I got my 300, so I don't think I"m going to get crap from many bowlers about it.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #14881
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Are you gonna get one of the 300 rings? One of my uncles has one. I asked him if I could get one with a golf ball instead of a bowling ball on it, since I shot 300 once in golf.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #14882
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
F a hotel, I'd have found a shotgun by now.

Haha...what have we said about randomly encouraging death, Jon.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #14883
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Haha...what have we said about randomly encouraging death, Jon.

Usually don't have to pull the trigger, just show a willingness to & most people will scatter easily enough.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #14884
Dutch
"Dutch"

Or just load it up with the beanbag variant.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #14885
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Or just load it up with the beanbag variant.

Eh, I implied I didn't wanna have to kill 'em ... I didn't say I wasn't willing to

Old 07-12-2015, 03:19 PM   #14886
Dutch
"Dutch"

You win again.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #14887
molson
General Manager

I realized I haven't watched a full team sporting event since the Super Bowl. Syracuse sanctioned themselves out of the tournament before the stretch run, the Red Sox and Bruins weren't playing meaningful games, I would have liked to get into the Celtics late playoff run, but the way the NBA is setup, I'm not sure if it's better to win 40 games or 10, or which teams are even trying, so that kills it for me since the real competition plays out in the front offices, not on the court.

But, I watch most UFC events, and some Bellator stuff. UFC 189 was an extraordinary sporting event. When its just a single fighter instead of a team, its just so much more intense from a competition standpoint. It's not about trades and drafts and free agency - is about individual guys competing for their livelihood, or at the higher levels, for championships and fame and big money. An NBA player can talk trash, but whether he wins or loses depends on his teammates, his coaches, and most of all, the front office. When Conor McGregor talks trash, it's 100% on him to go in and back it up. And it was going to be hugely compelling whether he actually could do it, or if he failed miserably. In big-time American sports, the athletes join a team and wear a uniform, but there's no real connection between player and team except in rare instances, they're usually just there because it's where they were drafted or traded to or who offered the most money. We're supposed to pretend that pro athletes are really into their teams, dislike other teams, and care about team goals. With an individual UFC fighter, none of that arbitrariness or weird fiction of rivalries is there, everyone is fighting for themselves and their brand and their careers and their livelihood. With the Red Sox, I kind of just have to root for whatever rich athlete they sign, with the UFC, I can root for individuals - it's a much more intense watching experience. You never have to think about whether it's better to lose a fight and get a better draft pick, which also enhances the intensity of the competition.

I'll still always follow and root for my Boston and Syracuse teams, and watch some of the bigger games, but ultimately, the real competition in those sports occurs before the game is played. I find all the trade/free agent/recruiting stuff interesting, but you don't need to watch the actual games to keep up with that stuff, the stuff that is the REAL competition in team sports.

Last edited by molson : 07-12-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #14888
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Are you gonna get one of the 300 rings? One of my uncles has one. I asked him if I could get one with a golf ball instead of a bowling ball on it, since I shot 300 once in golf.
Nope. It wasn't even in competition, much less the sanctioned competition that's required to get one of the rings. Someday, though.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:52 PM   #14889
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
There are currently 9 people, 1 baby and 7 dogs at my house. remaining calm, in spite of long odds.

I'm suddenly glad I live in a one bedroom apartment that has no space for more than 2 other people at absolute most (2 beds and a futon).

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #14890
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

Well, it could be 9 babies, 7 dogs and 1 people. Would that be better?
Old 07-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #14891
stevew
Hall Of Famer

5 of the dogs are smaller(poodle/Shih Tzu) and I guess it's a mom/Dad/sis bro/sis reunion but they probably don't know that. There is a giant rotweiller girl who my goldendoodle really wants to fuck bad. Thank god this will be over Tuesday morning.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:23 AM   #14892
Suicane75
Coordinator

Sometimes it's the stupid things, ya know? Like how you can't watch Dharma & Greg anymore because she was supposed to be your Dharma. Hit the delete button because you surely won't be watching those anymore.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #14893
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I realized I haven't watched a full team sporting event since the Super Bowl. Syracuse sanctioned themselves out of the tournament before the stretch run, the Red Sox and Bruins weren't playing meaningful games, I would have liked to get into the Celtics late playoff run, but the way the NBA is setup, I'm not sure if it's better to win 40 games or 10, or which teams are even trying, so that kills it for me since the real competition plays out in the front offices, not on the court.

But, I watch most UFC events, and some Bellator stuff. UFC 189 was an extraordinary sporting event. When its just a single fighter instead of a team, its just so much more intense from a competition standpoint. It's not about trades and drafts and free agency - is about individual guys competing for their livelihood, or at the higher levels, for championships and fame and big money. An NBA player can talk trash, but whether he wins or loses depends on his teammates, his coaches, and most of all, the front office. When Conor McGregor talks trash, it's 100% on him to go in and back it up. And it was going to be hugely compelling whether he actually could do it, or if he failed miserably. In big-time American sports, the athletes join a team and wear a uniform, but there's no real connection between player and team except in rare instances, they're usually just there because it's where they were drafted or traded to or who offered the most money. We're supposed to pretend that pro athletes are really into their teams, dislike other teams, and care about team goals. With an individual UFC fighter, none of that arbitrariness or weird fiction of rivalries is there, everyone is fighting for themselves and their brand and their careers and their livelihood. With the Red Sox, I kind of just have to root for whatever rich athlete they sign, with the UFC, I can root for individuals - it's a much more intense watching experience. You never have to think about whether it's better to lose a fight and get a better draft pick, which also enhances the intensity of the competition.

I'll still always follow and root for my Boston and Syracuse teams, and watch some of the bigger games, but ultimately, the real competition in those sports occurs before the game is played. I find all the trade/free agent/recruiting stuff interesting, but you don't need to watch the actual games to keep up with that stuff, the stuff that is the REAL competition in team sports.

I don't understand how two guys kicking the crap out of each other and causing each other brain damage is a sport. But to each his own.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #14894
Kodos
Resident Alien

Oh, and nice job, Pumpy!

Isn't there a difference between the lanes professional bowlers use and the ones Joe Schmo uses down at the Galaxy Bowl?

Last edited by Kodos : 07-13-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #14895
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I hope the worst fears about Jade Helm come true. If I get rounded up early in the day on Wednesday, it would keep me from spending all my money ordering stuff on Amazon Prime Day.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #14896
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I don't understand how two guys kicking the crap out of each other and causing each other brain damage is a sport. But to each his own.

You're a football fan, aren't you?

I guess it's debatable which sport is worse for your brain, but there's elements of football that make it far worse. Depending on his position, a football player is subject to repeated head trauma throughout a game, 16 times a year (plus preseason and playoffs), and if he gets dinged up, he gets a quick eval on the sideline and usually gets back in there for more head trauma. With MMA, if you get to that point, the fight is usually over and you're done competing for 6 months to a year. Boxing has a similar issue to football in that regard. If you get knocked down, the competition stops, you get to rest for a bit, and then, you get thrown right back in there for more brain trauma. Which we now know is incredibly dangerous because of the cumulative nature of head injuries.

None of these sports are "safe", but if you're dismissive of any sport which results in brain damage, then your fandom of football is pretty hypocritical, because we certainly do have concrete evidence of the dangers there.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #14897
bob
College Starter

I was watching a video showing an 8 story building getting demolished and I had a thought - do they really build those huge skyscrapers to last "forever"? Doesn't really seem like you can do a controlled demolition of a huge building in a very crowded area like NYC. What the hell would they do if they found a major structural deficiency in one of those?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #14898
Kodos
Resident Alien

No, I'm dismissive of sports where the whole point is to knock out your opponent. Injuries are a byproduct of football, not main point. In boxing or MMA, the whole point is to knock the other guy out. In football, you are trying to outscore your opponent. There's a difference.

And honestly, I do have misgivings about the brain injuries that occur in football. I have at times found myself wondering if the sport is something I should continue to support. Guys like Junior Seau are paying a high price for our entertainment.

Edit: See this thread.

Do fans bear any responsibility for athlete injuries incurred during games? - Front Office Football Central

Last edited by Kodos : 07-13-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #14899
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I hope the worst fears about Jade Helm come true. If I get rounded up early in the day on Wednesday, it would keep me from spending all my money ordering stuff on Amazon Prime Day.

You think Amazon Prime Day is a coincidence? Sheeple.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #14900
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
In boxing or MMA, the whole point is to knock the other guy out.

This is not true of MMA.