Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #1401
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
KC hasn't been above .500 this late in the season in 10+ years and is only 4.5 games out of a playoff spot. I don't think a bit of excitement is out of line.

I hope the Royals make it. One more spot the Yankees don't get.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #1402
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yes I believe that has been mentioned here. They are also 33-18 since the beginning of June or 57-48 overall if you don't want to go with the 33 game cut off that ignores the entire season before that. (which does count towards playoff eligibility)

Listen I am not hating on KC or LA but just pointing out that the bar has really lowered on both of these teams if this is the bragging back and forth being had in this thread.

They are in first place, that is all that matters. Regardless if it's 4th overall in the NL, they are in first and with that will be in the playoffs like any other team leading their division. Injuries are a bitch and the Dodgers got through them and started winning.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #1403
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
If they're a first time offender, it's only going to be 50 games.

We'll see, I suppose. Just based on how Braun went I feel like MLB has these guys by the balls. I mean the report yesterday was that they are ALL taking the deal save A-Rod. Have to think Bud doesn't want the PED guys coming back for the playoffs, so in my mind they aren't likely to come back. I guess we will just see.

edit: Asked Dave Cameron about this and he seems to think they'll be playoff eligible, so nothing to see here.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs3 : 07-31-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #1404
DanGarion
Coordinator

Trading deadline and no talk... WTF?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #1405
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Trading deadline and no talk... WTF?

Didn't seem to be much talk between the GMs either. I think there are going to be quite a few waiver deals over the next couple of weeks.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 07-31-2013 at 04:37 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #1406
Jas_lov
College Starter

Some reports are saying A-Rod will get a lifetime ban if he doesn't make a deal with MLB. I'm guessing the deal is the rest of this season and all of next season. I wonder if the Yankees get out of the contract if he's banned for life.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #1407
miked
College Starter

I don't understand how they expect this to hold up in court.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #1408
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I don't understand how they expect this to hold up in court.

Not sure how ARod expects to win -- he lied to them and then tried to buy and destroy evidence. He screwed himself royally. They wouldn't go for this if they didn't think they have legal standing.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #1409
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
WOW! Third consecutive game the Rangers win with a walk-off home run. In stark contrast to the slugfest last night, this game ended 2-1 on the HR by Beltre.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:24 PM   #1410
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Nice to see the Pirates doing well and it will be great if they can hold this up. For reasons unknown to me, they might be the one team out of the NL that I would root for.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #1411
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure how ARod expects to win -- he lied to them and then tried to buy and destroy evidence. He screwed himself royally. They wouldn't go for this if they didn't think they have legal standing.

But by 2015 nobody would want him, so it's effectively the end of his playing career either way. If he's fine with the possibility of losing his future money, it makes sense to fight.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #1412
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
But by 2015 nobody would want him, so it's effectively the end of his playing career either way. If he's fine with the possibility of losing his future money, it makes sense to fight.

He's under contract through 2017 though I think. Even if 'nobody wants him,' he could come back for 2015-17 and the only thing the Yanks could do is cut him and take the financial hit.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #1413
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Sox win after midnight (in the 15th) to retake first place from the Rays.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #1414
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
He's under contract through 2017 though I think. Even if 'nobody wants him,' he could come back for 2015-17 and the only thing the Yanks could do is cut him and take the financial hit.

That's not totally true depending on who you listen to. They have an I surname clause on that contract that goes into effect if he doesn't play for a year or longer. Not sure what the wording is but many are confident they will get 80% of the money back.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #1415
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
That's not totally true depending on who you listen to. They have an I surname clause on that contract that goes into effect if he doesn't play for a year or longer. Not sure what the wording is but many are confident they will get 80% of the money back.

I thought the 80% number was in relation to insurance coverage on an injury?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #1416
spleen1015
Coordinator

Cashman should be fired for giving A-Rod that contract.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #1417
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I thought the 80% number was in relation to insurance coverage on an injury?

Like I said...it depends on who you listen to. Yankees say drug suspension is covered too.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #1418
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

YEah, but I'm saying if he really wants to play as opposed to collect money, his best chance is to fight it now and try to get in the lineup as soon as possible. The Yankees will have a very hard time keeping him sidelined this year if he's medically clear to play, but after a year and a half of suspension ARod won't have a place on the Yankees and the fans won't kill them for moving on.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #1419
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Like I said...it depends on who you listen to. Yankees say drug suspension is covered too.

Sorry to be a pain, but do you have a link for this? I'm having trouble understanding how a drug suspension would tie into an insurance company paying out on a policy. They're already not paying him during any suspension so I don't see how they could make a claim like that. The whole point of "being out more than a year" would obviously make sense when it comes to an injury.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #1420
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Yeah, how dare you sign a guy to a super large contract that just won his third MVP and was arguably the best player in the league at that moment when you are the richest franchise in the league and can afford it!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #1421
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Sorry to be a pain, but do you have a link for this? I'm having trouble understanding how a drug suspension would tie into an insurance company paying out on a policy. They're already not paying him during any suspension so I don't see how they could make a claim like that. The whole point of "being out more than a year" would obviously make sense when it comes to an injury.

I don't. It's all been various radio shows and interviews.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #1422
molson
General Manager

FWIW, Joel Sherman of the Post says the insurance company would pay 80% of A-Rod's contract if he retires due to injury, which I think is a pretty standard kind of deal teams have with superstars. I can't imagine an insurance company would pay 80% of multiple future contract years where a guys is still playing, just because he missed one season.

3UP: A-Rod's insurance, timetable and Yankees being cautious
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #1423
miked
College Starter

If he's suspended, he wont' get paid I would imagine. I just find it hard to believe that if he doesn't cooperate and gets a lifetime ban, that he won't go after it in court with those lost wages. Also, it would probably open up the CBA to battles and force MLB to defend their practice with Biogenesis. I can't believe the deals that Biogenesis is getting to rat out some names and wonder if MLB is just going to indemnify and protect every drug dealer as long as they provide evidence.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #1424
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

I thought I read somewhere that re-sigining A-Rod was an edict from above Cashman and that Cashman was perfectly content to let him walk?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #1425
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I thought I read somewhere that re-sigining A-Rod was an edict from above Cashman and that Cashman was perfectly content to let him walk?

Yeah, it came from Hank Steinbrenner. And the problem people had with the contract - yes, at the time too - was that the Yankees bid against themselves when they gave him that deal just after he opted out of his prior contract. And it was Cashman who said that if A-Rod opted out, they shouldn't re-sign him.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #1426
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
WOW! Third consecutive game the Rangers win with a walk-off home run. In stark contrast to the slugfest last night, this game ended 2-1 on the HR by Beltre.

It's downright comedic from an Angels fan perspective. Pretty much the season to a tee right there.

I'm glad I gave up on the season a month ago, or I would have been pretty upset over this.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #1427
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
It's downright comedic from an Angels fan perspective. Pretty much the season to a tee right there.

I'm glad I gave up on the season a month ago, or I would have been pretty upset over this.

Since I really only follow the Tigers, the Angels' struggles this season are baffling to me. They have looked amazing every time they play Detroit.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #1428
cartman
Death Herald

After 4 innings, Yu Darvish has faced 14 D'Back batters. He's struck out 10 of them.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #1429
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Can we get some motherfuckin suspensions up in this house????
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #1430
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

12 through 5 IP now

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #1431
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Can we get some motherfuckin suspensions up in this house????

Tomorrow at 5 pm.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #1432
cartman
Death Herald

14 Ks through 6
Old 08-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #1433
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

What a ridiculous 9th inning.

After an error to lead off the inning, an error on the sac bunt attempt, and then the closer beaning the following hitter (who was also trying to bunt), Romo got three straight outs to get the save and the Giants got a 2-1 win over the Phillies. Jeez.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #1434
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Holy Fucking Shit. Sox with six in the bottom of the ninth to win 8-7.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #1435
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Braves with 7 in a row and now an 11.5 game lead. Awesome.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #1436
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I can't believe there isn't more uproar in LA over the Dodgers season thus far. As things go, the D-Backs are on pace to win 89.75 games, figuring 90 wins should win you the division. The wild card, appears to be way out of reach at this point.

Using their current record of 28-36 the Dodgers would need to go 62-36 over the remaining games to take the division. That's a .633 winning percentage. Only the Cardinals are better this far into the season in just over half as many games. That sure doesn't seem likely, and it's only going to get worse.

Still a month from the break and the probabilities are getting very low of anything positive from this season.

Who the fuck would have thought we would be in first right now? To be fair, my original numbers still hold up. We are only on pace to win 88 games which would still have put us out of the race a few weeks ago, had the D-Backs kept up their pace. I would like to thank the D-Backs and the rest of the West for helping to make this turnaround possible.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #1437
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Who the fuck would have thought we would be in first right now? To be fair, my original numbers still hold up. We are only on pace to win 88 games which would still have put us out of the race a few weeks ago, had the D-Backs kept up their pace. I would like to thank the D-Backs and the rest of the West for helping to make this turnaround possible.

I did.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #1438
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

I had this conversation with my Strat-O-Matic guys back in mid/late May saying I thought the Dodgers once they started getting healthy could come back from the 10 game deficit. One of the guys laughed in my face and said it would never happen. I was able to bring that up this week and laugh back in his face.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #1439
korme
Go Reds

Huge series this weekend. The WLB's come to town to face Cincinnati. It's so fun to hate the Redbirds.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #1440
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I have no faith in Selig, and little interest in baseball these days anyways, but if he doesn't drop the ban-hammer on ARoid I think I'm done.

Fact - I'd be all for dropping the ban-hammer on all the steroid-users under the "best interests of the game" clause and fuck the MLBPA and their whining and their threats of strike. Let the players strike, bring in replacement players. Fine by me.

"Negotiating" suspensions with guilty parties is fucking spineless and laughable.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-02-2013 at 04:48 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #1441
miami_fan
Coordinator

I thought management and the union were on good terms nowadays. Well as good of terms as they could ever be. From what I have seen reported, the only way the union gets involved is if they do go for a lifetime ban.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #1442
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dodgers tied a franchise record with their 12th straight road win

Last edited by MrBug708 : 08-02-2013 at 06:43 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #1443
rowech
Pro Starter

Reds are quite clearly a team that can beat the bad teams but can't beat the good teams. They just aren't good enough.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #1444
Danny
Head Coach

Dodgers going to be dangerous in postseason is they stay healthy. Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu is a heck of a top 3.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #1445
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Dodgers tied a franchise record with their 12th straight road win

Last time the Dodgers won this many on the road in a row, they weren't the Dodgers.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #1446
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Cardinals found their offense.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #1447
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
"Negotiating" suspensions with guilty parties is fucking spineless and laughable.

So you probably rage every time a plea agreement is entered in criminal court, then?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #1448
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
So you probably rage every time a plea agreement is entered in criminal court, then?

DT rages everytime someone sneezes
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #1449
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Holy Fucking Shit. Sox with six in the bottom of the ninth to win 8-7.
Yup, plus I know at least one person who left after the 8th, so he's never living that down.

That said (and who knows if it would have mattered, but) that was kind of a bush league call by the umpire that Seattle had to bring in the lefty. I can understand if the righty has trotted in or taken warmup pitches that you can argue it was a delaying tactic, but the Seattle manager seemed to correct himself pretty quickly.

(Also, after watching Bard blow more than one game the past 2 years, it's nice to see another team basically start the rally for us by trying to get their erratic reliever right in an easy situation.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #1450
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I have no faith in Selig, and little interest in baseball these days anyways, but if he doesn't drop the ban-hammer on ARoid I think I'm done.

Fact - I'd be all for dropping the ban-hammer on all the steroid-users under the "best interests of the game" clause and fuck the MLBPA and their whining and their threats of strike. Let the players strike, bring in replacement players. Fine by me.

I'm down with whatever punishment MLB gives, but weirdly I actually think A-Rod has an actionable claim the longer this drags out. If he gets suspended, screw him, go appeal, but until MLB does something official I don't see how the Yankees can keep down in the minor leagues if he's healthy.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote