Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #1401
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
90s Lute Olsen?

SI

Boeheim, Lute, Self....I'd put Roy Williams in there too myself. I am not sure who gets the 5th slot. Maybe Rick Barnes.

I don't get the Kansas timeout there, if you're the worse coach stopping the clock to let the other coach set things up is usually a dumb move.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #1402
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Double screen for Curry to take the three, I bet.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #1403
Jas_lov
College Starter

Go for the 3 and the win. Will Curry choke this time?
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #1404
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I was afraid of that. Fuck Kansas.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #1405
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

BRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #1406
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

They weren't letting him get that shot

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #1407
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Darn. Still a great game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #1408
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
An all #1 final four is super lame.

But it does make for one hell of a pile of quality in terms of teams left.

SI

Old 03-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #1409
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Still impressive that they held them to just 59 points. Great game.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #1410
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

SI
If you're into that.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #1411
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

SI

Could argue it truly does award the national championship to the best team all year.

I know Curry is your best player, but does he try to do too much by himself at times?

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-30-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #1412
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Could argue it truly does award the national championship to the best team all year.

I know Curry is your best player, but does he try to do too much by himself at times?

I guess the theory is, if your best player isn't taking the last shot at the end of the game...everyone asks why not? But this isn't the pros and I would've loved to see them give the ball to someone else in that instance or at least, try to make it more interesting than draining the clock to take a shot that Kansas clearly wasn't gonna let them get a clear look for.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #1413
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:

He has to -- have you seen his teammates? Honestly, Davidson's players aren't particularly good outside of Curry. Different than George Mason's run, where GMU was a collection of several legitimately outstanding college basketball players. Davidson is basically a one (incredible) man show.

Kansas had an easy defensive job on that last possession because there was really no plausible second option to worry about.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #1414
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Maybe college football presidents are watching and have decided that maybe a playoff isn't such a bad idea, with all four #1s making it through.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #1415
MrBug708
Head Coach

Meh. I thought Self draw up the worst possible play and that is what Davidson drew up?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:21 PM   #1416
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Do you drawn down the clock and take the 3 to win it? Or do you try to make a quick 2 to tie it and put the pressure on Kansas?

Answer: not the first one. If you're gonna go for the three, it needs to be faster than that so you can foul Kansas if you have to.

You don't waste 9 seconds and then get your ass doubleteamed with three seconds left. Ugh.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #1417
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Answer: not the first one. If you're gonna go for the three, it needs to be faster than that so you can foul Kansas if you have to.

You don't waste 9 seconds and then get your ass doubleteamed with three seconds left. Ugh.

That's how I felt. I was wondering if it was just me, tho. Coach probably was trying to create the dramatic ending, rather than going with the sensible choice. I think Larranaga the year GMU made it to the Final Four didn't just have a group o' horses who made it through, he was a hell of a gameday coach during that run and seemed to know his guys well enough to manage them through tough situations. Plus, they had a bit more size, too.

Still, a hell of an impressive run by Davidson and I'm sure Davidson's admissions team is going to be plenty busy with the spike in applications they get in the next year after this.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #1418
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
That's how I felt. I was wondering if it was just me, tho. Coach probably was trying to create the dramatic ending, rather than going with the sensible choice. I think Larranaga the year GMU made it to the Final Four didn't just have a group o' horses who made it through, he was a hell of a gameday coach during that run and seemed to know his guys well enough to manage them through tough situations. Plus, they had a bit more size, too.

Still, a hell of an impressive run by Davidson and I'm sure Davidson's admissions team is going to be plenty busy with the spike in applications they get in the next year after this.

I guess that's why I asked about trying to make plays himself. Three straight Southern Conference tournament championships (and the last two South Division regular season titles), three straight NCAA tournament appearances, and an Elite Eight appearance, Davidson is craving out a nice rep for themselves. And this is still a rather young team, lead by Curry.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #1419
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Maybe college football presidents are watching and have decided that maybe a playoff isn't such a bad idea, with all four #1s making it through.

Not gonna happen. I think we will go to Mars before we get a college football playoff.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #1420
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I guess that's why I asked about trying to make plays himself. Three straight Southern Conference tournament championships (and the last two South Division regular season titles), three straight NCAA tournament appearances, and an Elite Eight appearance, Davidson is craving out a nice rep for themselves. And this is still a rather young team, lead by Curry.

I looked at their league web site and saw they went 20-0 in that conference this year. That's nuts. If they can recruit a JUCO kid to come in there and give them some inside help (a glasseating, rebounder) then they'd be likely to make another run. They could use other stuff too, but...Curry shouldn't leave there and I think this run solidifies that he needs to still develop his game before he can really be a contributor at the next level.

Plus he looks 14.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #1421
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Shut yur mouf.

Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #1422
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Not gonna happen. I think we will go to Mars before we get a college football playoff.

I was largely joking, because so many folks complain about how March Madness waters down the college basketball regular season or "renders it meaningless" because so many schools like Davidson are even allow to play in it at all. I mean, that's the thing. We'd never be afford the Xavier or Davidson or George Mason's of the world in college football. I know the game is different, but the premise is the same. The selection committee learned how to rid itself of mid-majors pulling upsets by scheduling them to play each other in the tourney, but at least they get a seat at the banquet rather than being forced to be perfect and even then, not getting a shot to dance.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-30-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #1423
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Excellent game - Davidson and Kansas. Should be a great game NC vs KC, c'mon Tarheels!!!

I'll agree though, that last Davidson play fell apart quickly - I think it was more of Kansas's defense than Davidson's shot selection though.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #1424
whomario
Pro Starter

If now everyone seriously starts talking about that one play iīm going to vomit. Or even about the supbar shooting percentage as iīve rarely seen a perimeter player being guarded as tight as Curry today, speak about concentrating on stopping a guy.Iīve hardly ever seen a guy getting that much attention from a whole opposing team than him tonight, that wonīt happen in the NBA. As much heart as this Davidson team showed, everyone outside of Curry was 100% outmatched in terms of athleticism and skills. Without Curryīs presence and a random decent player in his place that also scores 20 or so points thereīs still no way they get even 35 points against Kansas tonight. It was insane how much attention he drew. I mean, thereīs no way they get that "many" (relative term) 2nd chance opportunities without Kansas doubling him on every screen and sending a 3rd guy ready to help on the dribble.
Even when Barr hit those 3 3s (btw, that sequence had me literally jumping up and down) Kansas didnīt even think about stopping to double team Curry off of every screen and every touch.

They and Curry as a single player did so many things good and above expectations, you really shouldnīt spoil that by talking too much about that last play.
That they didnīt loose by 20 is a miracle because.

If you ant to talk about how this looks in terms of Curryīs pro chances : Heīs not going to be defended like Kobe Bryant in the proīs (and even Kobe isnīt defended that extreme on most nights) , so that should be fine.
But i hope he stays another year, this team was fun. And i wouldnīt want to be in McKillopīs place if Curry would leave, speak about a big, big hole to fill.

Last edited by whomario : 03-30-2008 at 06:35 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #1425
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I looked at their league web site and saw they went 20-0 in that conference this year. That's nuts. If they can recruit a JUCO kid to come in there and give them some inside help (a glasseating, rebounder) then they'd be likely to make another run. They could use other stuff too, but...Curry shouldn't leave there and I think this run solidifies that he needs to still develop his game before he can really be a contributor at the next level.

Plus he looks 14.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/28/sp...8davidson.html

They seem to like to go abroad for talent.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #1426
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oh wow. That's really, really smart recruiting. Use those deep pockets to recruit foreigners who are good students generally, who aren't part of the American hype that kids in the states are and don't have as much interest in "trying to go pro" or whatever. Admissions probably loves it too because at a small school like that, having a high percentage of international students allows them to tout their diversity, so making more than half the basketball team foreign just adds to that.

That's a smart niche.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-30-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #1427
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
An all #1 final four is super lame.

Not at all. The best vying for it all
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:09 PM   #1428
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:

Plus he looks 14.

Quote:
Oh wow. That's really, really smart recruiting. Use those deep pockets to recruit foreigners who are good students generally, who aren't part of the American hype that kids in the states are and don't have as much interest in "trying to go pro" or whatever. Admissions probably loves it too because at a small school like that, having a high percentage of international students allows them to tout their diversity, so making more than half the basketball team foreign just adds to that.

That's a smart niche.

They used to be almost completely foriegn, but now are about half-and-half foriegn and domestic. The key for thier recruiting is that their recruits absolutely must be smart, because I know a professor there and he says that they don't take dumb kids, period. An interesting stat, actually, is that, at least for a while, the SAT of their entering athletes was actually higher than the freshman class in general (averaged 1390 for athletes to 1370 for general freshmen). This was all in an ESPN article either last year or the year before, but I can't find it now (does ESPN have an archives section?).

Oh, and I quoted the first post just to say that it is highly unlikely that they will be able to get a JUCO transfer past their admissions folks, even if McKillop wanted him on the team.

Last edited by wbatl1 : 03-30-2008 at 07:10 PM.
wbatl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #1429
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I'm betting Cartman is drinking heavily right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Cartman based on what i know isn't like some other fans on this board, seems to me, that he is a mellow fellow compared to some of the other die-hard fans on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Dola,

I have to drive up to Ft. Worth tonight, so no drowning my basketball sorrows in sweet, sweet beer until later.

Well, the services aren't going to be held until Friday and Saturday, so no reason for me to drive up to Ft. Worth tonight. I downed a bottle of wine with dinner tonight to soften the blow of the loss(es).

Truth be told, I'd probably be getting hammered tonight win or lose. Texas went 2-1 this season against the Final Four.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-30-2008 at 08:27 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #1430
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

For us, Lawrence is pretty much crazy right now, as expected. With as brutal a field as there is for the Final Four this year, I'm glad for the week to just sit back and celebrate getting there because I'm not a huge fan of our odds from here out.

SI

Old 03-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #1431
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbatl1 View Post
They used to be almost completely foriegn, but now are about half-and-half foriegn and domestic. The key for thier recruiting is that their recruits absolutely must be smart, because I know a professor there and he says that they don't take dumb kids, period. An interesting stat, actually, is that, at least for a while, the SAT of their entering athletes was actually higher than the freshman class in general (averaged 1390 for athletes to 1370 for general freshmen). This was all in an ESPN article either last year or the year before, but I can't find it now (does ESPN have an archives section?).

Oh, and I quoted the first post just to say that it is highly unlikely that they will be able to get a JUCO transfer past their admissions folks, even if McKillop wanted him on the team.

Good info.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #1432
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
He has to -- have you seen his teammates? Honestly, Davidson's players aren't particularly good outside of Curry. Different than George Mason's run, where GMU was a collection of several legitimately outstanding college basketball players. Davidson is basically a one (incredible) man show.

Kansas had an easy defensive job on that last possession because there was really no plausible second option to worry about.

Man I don't quite agree there. The point guard was pretty damned impressive. I think he'd start for a lot of teams, Kansas included. That and they could run a variety of set plays. Davidson is a great example of what dedication, team work, role players, and one great star can do for your team.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #1433
Groundhog
Coordinator

As much as I like cheering for the underdog, these four teams give us the best hope for close games in the final four and championship games.

Memphis are a better team than I gave them credit for earlier, as well.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #1434
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Memphis are a better team than I gave them credit for earlier, as well.

I really, really hate admitting it, but yup. They broke through and got to a final four and obviously completely earned it. I still think they're only the 4th best team in the final four(can't be completely complimentary can I?) but they really, really deserve to be there.

I love that all four #1's are in the final four. Upsets early, powerhouse matchups late makes for a perfect tournament IMO.

Not that I wouldn't rather UNC be facing Davidson in a week, but, there should be 3 great games left.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #1435
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just incidentally, the women's Elite Eight will be all #1 vs #2.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:10 AM   #1436
watravaler
High School JV

I'd take Rose over Beasley...I think he can count on one hand the number of games he has lost since 5th grade...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:58 AM   #1437
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
so many folks complain about how March Madness waters down the college basketball regular season or "renders it meaningless" because so many schools like Davidson are even allow to play in it at all.

No, people say it "renders the regular season meaningless" because teams like Villanova, Indiana, or Baylor are allowed to play - teams that didn't come close to winning any kind of conference title.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:59 AM   #1438
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
I'd take Rose over Beasley...I think he can count on one hand the number of games he has lost since 5th grade...

+1

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:01 AM   #1439
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just saw on ESPN that Curry has announced he is returning for his junior year as he doesn't feel that he is ready for the NBA, yet.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-31-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:18 AM   #1440
whomario
Pro Starter

smart choice. He will get a shot at the NBA even if he were to stink it up next year, dunno how to explain it but as heīs no high-potential (athletically) guy anyway he is less dependant on jumping early instead of working on his overall skillset.
They do loose 3 of their Top 6 guys in Meno, Sanders and especially Richards.
So itīs far from a given that they repeat such a run, will have to wait if they find replacements for them, especially Richards.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:23 AM   #1441
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
They do loose 3 of their Top 6 guys in Meno, Sanders and especially Richards.
So itīs far from a given that they repeat such a run, will have to wait if they find replacements for them, especially Richards.

It seems like, for one year only, it should be REALLY easy to recruit to Davidson. It almost seems like it would be an option for a one-and-done type guy. But then there are those pesky academic standards.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:26 AM   #1442
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
It seems like, for one year only, it should be REALLY easy to recruit to Davidson. It almost seems like it would be an option for a one-and-done type guy. But then there are those pesky academic standards.
They'll run into the same situation as George Mason.

George Mason's first truly stellar class coming in thanks to their 2006 run is the class coming in this fall. Davidson likely already has all of its commitments for this fall and even if they don't there likely aren't a lot of impact guys out there for one, and for another they're not likely to sign with a team that starts talking to them just now.

Davidson will see any benefit in the class that starts in 2009 when they have a full recruiting season to work on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:28 PM   #1443
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Davidson will see any benefit in the class that starts in 2009 when they have a full recruiting season to work on them.

See, I was thinking Davidson's boost would be time-sensitive -- i.e. possibly recruiting an elite talent for the specific purpose of playing with Curry to make a run next season. I mean, put a really good big man on Davidson, to take just SOME heat off Curry, and they could very well make a title run next year. But you're right, I suppose most of the elite talents have already committed.

I'm not sure how much long-term boost Davidson will get -- for one, they didn't actually make the final four (plenty of non-power schools have made the elite eight), and Curry won't be there after next year.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:32 PM   #1444
Logan
Head Coach

Any elite talent, save for Tyreke Evans I guess (and you would need two balls to have him and Curry play together), already has a signed LOI for next season.

Last edited by Logan : 03-31-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:36 PM   #1445
rjolley
College Starter

There is the PF that IU that reopened his recruitment...Ewbanks, was it?

Edit: Ebanks.

Last edited by rjolley : 03-31-2008 at 08:42 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:52 PM   #1446
Logan
Head Coach

Memphis, Texas or Rutgers for him.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:54 PM   #1447
hoopsguy
General Manager

Just read that both of the Lopez boys are heading to the pros.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #1448
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Memphis, Texas or Rutgers for him.

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:11 PM   #1449
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Just read that both of the Lopez boys are heading to the pros.

bad move by Robin
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:17 PM   #1450
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

Granted. But RU is in his backyard, he's got an amazing relationship with one of our coaches, and he gets the spotlight of NYC. We have a legit shot, as we did before he picked Texas.